Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sons of Anarchy (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=16470)

Hattori_Hanzo 07-08-08 05:30 PM

Sons of Anarchy

They've been showing promos for this on FX all the time and its got me interested. I like the concept, based around the brotherhood of a motorcycle gang. I'm up for something new this fall anyways, the writer and executive producer of The Shield created it so it can't fail.

Anyone else see the promos?

mack 11-28-09 07:11 AM

Totally recommended. :up:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...chy_Poster.jpg

I cant help myself - against my better judgment I finally succumbed and started watching this show. The jury is still out on whether it is just emotional junkyism for me, but whatever it is, I am hooked! I thought from the little blurb summarizing the show that I would hate this show, and that the lead character Jax Teller, would turn my stomach - but good God! I'm all caught up and end up waiting for the next episode.

This show is literally non-stop, in-your-face action, and if its not one thing, its another. So if you're looking for edge of your seat interest in a television show, this is it. I do confess that I'm less enamored of the whole Shakespearean angle they attempt to spin over the show, and in truth, I fast forward past, or mentally check out on the voice over narrations from his dear old dad, or the "We Love Anarchy" monologues (anarchy - and its worshippers - annoy me), but other than that, this one definitely packs the one-two punch youre looking for, if you're the type that likes brawling in the street, or seeing someone catching a solid and well-deserved beat-down upon occasion. Upon frequent occasion. ;)

Plus, its got Ron Perlman. I mean, what more can you ASK FOR??

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...of-anarchy.jpg

On a final note - I have got to give this show serious props for allowing the women to hold their own with the men. Katey Sagal is positively chilling, and literally gives Ron Perlman a run for his money as the Queen/Den Mother to his King/Father. I have to say - I wasnt quite sure if Perlman could pull off a steady TV role, but he does and does it well.

Top that off, the supporting cast is well crafted, completely believable, and have fully immersive backstories that are compelling in their own right. All in all, a good show - but definitely not for the children, or the faint of heart.

Cradle Of Fear 11-28-09 07:22 AM

One of the greatest TV shows ever.Don't miss the season finale Tuesday.Once you see it you'll be hooked.Also starring Tommy Flanagan and Kim Coates,really eclectic cast.

MovieMan8877445 11-28-09 12:07 PM

Re: Sons of Anarchy

One of my favorite TV shows ever. Season 2 is possibly the best TV season of any TV series ever for me. It's been that great. I just can't wait for the season finale next week. It's going to be amazing.

honeykid 11-29-09 01:54 AM

Yep, I really like this too. Sadly I don't think they've said when season 2 will be shown over here, so I'm guessing Spring 2010. Looking forward to it though.

mack 11-29-09 02:12 AM

watch it on hulu.com

a wonderful, and completely legal online viewing experience. certainly not as great a viewing experience as the first showing, or the actual DVDs, but - it'll do!

honeykid 11-29-09 03:16 AM

I don't think that Hulu works over here (the UK), does it? Anyway, tbh, I don't like watching things at my computer. It's ok for an episode or two to catch something I missed, but I'd rather not. Thanks for the suggestion though.

MovieMan8877445 12-02-09 12:44 AM

Okay, the season finale really pissed me off. Even though I still think it's the best season finale of any show ever.

WARNING: "Sons of Anarchy" spoilers below
How the hell could they kill of Half-Sack? He hadn't even been patched into the club yet, and I was waiting for it to happen. I hope they find Cameron fast and kill that son-of-a-bitch. How could he kidnap Abel? Stahl better get tortured next season, I hope she dies a very painful and slow death. She has caused way too much trouble for the club.

Prospero 12-02-09 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 586398)
Okay, the season finale really pissed me off. Even though I still think it's the best season finale of any show ever.

How the hell could they kill of Half-Sack? He hadn't even been patched into the club yet, and I was waiting for it to happen. I hope they find Cameron fast and kill that son-of-a-bitch. How could he kidnap Abel? Stahl better get tortured next season, I hope she dies a very painful and slow death. She has caused way too much trouble for the club.
I love this show. It's outstanding in every respect, and my wife and I never miss an episode (It's great to watch it on DVR so we can zip thru the commercials so they don't distract from the tension).

WARNING: "season finale spoilers" spoilers below
Yeah, I was kind of pissed off at the Prospect getting offed, but honestly, I kinda expected it. I still didn't want it to happen, but it wasn't a total surprise. I really, really wanted Stahl, the ATF b*tch, to get hers, but I guess she's too good a foil to leave the show. It's a credit to Ally Walker, who plays her, that I hate her so much.

On a side note, does anyone know who did that version of Gimme Shelter they played in the Season 2 finale? I loved it. Stones version is still the best, but this was damn good.

MovieMan8877445 12-02-09 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 586470)
I love this show. It's outstanding in every respect, and my wife and I never miss an episode (It's great to watch it on DVR so we can zip thru the commercials so they don't distract from the tension).

WARNING: "season finale spoilers" spoilers below
Yeah, I was kind of pissed off at the Prospect getting offed, but honestly, I kinda expected it. I still didn't want it to happen, but it wasn't a total surprise. I really, really wanted Stahl, the ATF b*tch, to get hers, but I guess she's too good a foil to leave the show. It's a credit to Ally Walker, who plays her, that I hate her so much.

On a side note, does anyone know who did that version of Gimme Shelter they played in the Season 2 finale? I loved it. Stones version is still the best, but this was damn good.
Another thing that really pissed me off was the Zoebell ended up living at the end. Like seriously, they should've had at least one of them stay behind to kill him, instead of just letting him go away free. I thought Weston's death was handled really good, though. He knew he had lost, so he went out like a man. Jax unloaded a whole clip into him. I would love to see Gemma and Unser become a couple in season 3. I think Unser is the one that cares about her the most and he deserves her. I just can't wait until next September to see where they decide to take the show. I want them to find Cameron so much, and kill him.

I have a feeling that they might bring Zoebell back next season, or at least sometime before the show ends. They didn't let his character live to just leave the picture completely. I loved it when Unser's truck pulled in front of the car Alvarez and Zoebell was in, and Piney with about 5 other members, opened the back and just had complete open fire in all of them. I still think the Son's should've just completely outed the Mayan's already, though. They had already made a promise with the Niner's and the Asian's that they would.

Prospero 12-02-09 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 586509)
Another thing that really pissed me off was the Zoebell ended up living at the end. Like seriously, they should've had at least one of them stay behind to kill him, instead of just letting him go away free. I thought Weston's death was handled really good, though. He knew he had lost, so he went out like a man. Jax unloaded a whole clip into him. I would love to see Gemma and Unser become a couple in season 3. I think Unser is the one that cares about her the most and he deserves her. I just can't wait until next September to see where they decide to take the show. I want them to find Cameron so much, and kill him.

I have a feeling that they might bring Zoebell back next season, or at least sometime before the show ends. They didn't let his character live to just leave the picture completely. I loved it when Unser's truck pulled in front of the car Alvarez and Zoebell was in, and Piney with about 5 other members, opened the back and just had complete open fire in all of them. I still think the Son's should've just completely outed the Mayan's already, though. They had already made a promise with the Niner's and the Asian's that they would.
I agree it would be interesting if Unser and Gemma got together, but I don't think it will happen. Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that there is a back story there that hasn't been spelled out (One of the reasons I like the show so much). It seems like Unser isn't just in the Sons' pocket, but he has a real loyalty to them. Why is that? At first I thought that it may be that he and Clay were childhood friends, since they seem to be about the same age (although Unser may be somewhat older). But if Unser's relationship with the club goes back farher than when Clay came into the leadership (which is never spelled out, as far as I know), then it would make more sense that his relationship is not with Clay, but with Gemma. I get the feeling that he regards her not as a potential lover, but more as a younger sister or daughter. Of course, I could be completely wrong about all of this. :)

As far as Zobelle goes...
Yeah, I think we'll be seeing more of Zobelle in the future, but maybe not next season. I was disappointed that they didn't get him, too, but he did lose his daughter, after all. I agree that it was good to see Weston get his, and that he took it like a man.
Also, I have the feeling that the Cameron plot line will take most of the season to play out. I'd like them to wrap it up quickly, too, but then where would that leave the show?

MovieMan8877445 12-02-09 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 586514)
I agree it would be interesting if Unser and Gemma got together, but I don't think it will happen. Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that there is a back story there that hasn't been spelled out (One of the reasons I like the show so much). It seems like Unser isn't just in the Sons' pocket, but he has a real loyalty to them. Why is that? At first I thought that it may be that he and Clay were childhood friends, since they seem to be about the same age (although Unser may be somewhat older). But if Unser's relationship with the club goes back farher than when Clay came into the leadership (which is never spelled out, as far as I know), then it would make more sense that his relationship is not with Clay, but with Gemma. I get the feeling that he regards her not as a potential lover, but more as a younger sister or daughter. Of course, I could be completely wrong about all of this. :)

As far as Zobelle goes...
Yeah, I think we'll be seeing more of Zobelle in the future, but maybe not next season. I was disappointed that they didn't get him, too, but he did lose his daughter, after all. I agree that it was good to see Weston get his, and that he took it like a man.
Also, I have the feeling that the Cameron plot line will take most of the season to play out. I'd like them to wrap it up quickly, too, but then where would that leave the show?
Yeah, I know that the Cameron thing will probably take until the ending of season 3 to play out, but I want Jax to get Abel back. I seriously almost cried when Jax was having his break-down as Cameron was driving away in the boat with Abel. Also, as much as I want Stahl's to die, I don't think they'll kill her off. So far, in these past 2 seasons, she's been pretty much the main antagonist for the show. Even this season with Zoebell, she was just about as big of an antagonist as he was. It'll be harder for them to kill her, too, since she's an ATF agent.

MovieMan8877445 09-14-11 12:15 AM

Sorry for the double post, but has anyone been watching season 4 so far?

It's already a much improvement over last season, because I felt like last season was trying to rely on the success of season 2 too much. I feel like they're not trying to amp it up so much every episode like they did last season and decided to take it a bit slower this season.

mack 09-14-11 02:48 AM

I dont know - I saw the first episode, and I wasnt too impressed. The writers for this show typically go very hard, but this was .... meh. I realize they are setting up the season, but its all too lovey-dovey for me. Frankly, Im waiting for Tara to snap and leave Jax, because I havent forgiven him for cheating on her in Season 3. Im sick and tired of her taking it lying down. This guy was trying to "drive her away?" Tear. I mean, wow. I guess she should forget any expectations of monogamy - Im still confused at how Gemma managed to turn that one around on her and make it HER fault if she refused to "stick it out."

The sane me sees Gemma's point, but the angry me wonders how come we didnt even see any real apology or even remorse? Oh right. All that got swept under the rug because ...the big bad Jax was crying inside over his lost kid. And how, why, or what sort of mean cruel person could expect a hurting individual to treat the people around them decently? I mean, dont we know we are asking too much?

Forget that. At which point is Jax gonna start reaping some very real, very personal consequences for bad decisions?

I just wanna know. :shrug: maybe it's just me, or maybe Im in a bitter place right now.

I want her to get nice and shacked up - (preferably even married!) - to some smoking hot white collar stud, who is just as hardcore and scary as Jax and his bedfellows, and I want her to take her and Jax's son with her. Because let's face it: if she doesnt, she has become about as relevant as Donna (remember Donna? Opie's normal, decent wife and mother of three - yknow! the one they killed off the show like a piece of luggage?), and is doomed to become an annoying, whiny (but obedient) window dressing of "yes sir" and "no sir." And you know her already: the villified, unloved and irrelevant woman who is always trying to keep the MC club member back from running wild with his 'bros.

Yep. She dies.

MovieMan8877445 09-14-11 10:43 PM

Yeah, while something may happen between Tara and Jax, there's no way I see her leaving him. I think she's pretty much too deep to just walk away from the club right now, if she ever would because she still loves Jax and it shows very often.

cinemaafficionado 04-15-12 09:08 PM

Sons Of Anarchy: The Godfather Of Biker Movies

I've just finished watching 3 seasons of this exceptionaly made biker tv series. The script and story line are fantastic, with twists and turns in every episode, from envolvement against Neo-Nazis to gun running with the IRA or intrigues and rivalries with other biker gangs. Everything is there: love, hate, family,betrayal, brutal action and lot's and lot's of death and destruction.
Can't wait for season 4 dvd's.

honeykid 04-16-12 04:31 AM

I'm as far along with this as you are, CA. They're showing Season 4 over here now, but I didn't see any trailers or anything for it, so it was upto episode 4 before I realised they were new episodes. I hate it when good programmes are on 'minor' satellite channels. You have to remember when the next season 'should' be on and then remember to start checking out the listings.

Anyway, I wasn't as enamoured with season 3 as I was the previous two, but it wasn't as bad as I feared when season 2 ended. I always get the horrors whenever American shows 'go Oirish'.

TylerDurden99 04-16-12 04:35 AM

Re: Sons Of Anarchy: The Godfather Of Biker Movies

I'm only up to Season 2, Episode 4, but I do love this show. I'm not huge into bike culture, but Sons Of Anarchy is great.

Nausicaä 04-16-12 08:08 AM

Re: Sons Of Anarchy: The Godfather Of Biker Movies

The Godfather Of Biker Movies
That would be Easy Rider.

Anyway, got the first two seasons to watch, but currently going through all six seasons of Criminal Minds box set, so might be some time before I get to Sons of Anarchy.

cinemaafficionado 04-16-12 08:40 AM

I can see where you are coming from, and Easy Rider was great, but really just a a movie about some peacenick hippie bikers. Nothing to do with real, hard voilent crime, which is Sons Of Anarchy, and therefore the similie to the Godfather ( of biker movies ).