Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spiderman 3 (2007) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=11521)

MyRobotSuit 01-18-06 10:23 PM

Spiderman 3 (2007)

I couldn't find any threads started on this.

What's New? These are the main rumours....

Gwen Stacy (Bryce Howard) - Look Here!

http://www.reflections.it/interviste..._howard/01.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...StacyCover.jpg

Sandman (Thomas Haden Church)

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos...den-church.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mm-sandman.jpg

Venom - Topher Grace

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/p...ophergrace.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nomlethal1.jpg

Pyro Tramp 01-18-06 10:44 PM

Bruce Campbell..................... ?

Wonder Boy 01-20-06 03:49 AM

Ok, What the F**k!!! Gwen Stacy???? How can they cast an actress for her part now! I myself am a big fan of the comics and if you've seen the first movie and know about the comics you can see how they make allusions for what happened to Gwen by using MJ. Such as Green Goblin throwing MJ off the bridge and the final battle between Spider-man and The Green Goblin. Though when Green Goblin threw Gwen off the bridge Spider-man shot his web and caught her but subsuquently snapped her neck in the process.

The first two movies seemed to want to skip over Gwen Stacy's relationship with Peter and get right into His and MJ's relationship. The one way I can see this working well is they work off what Marvel has going that's called The 'Ultimate' Marvel Universe where they had Peter dating MJ and they had Gwen introduced and was killed by Carnage and even in the comics that sorta sucked but who knows how Raimi will work it out.

On another note does anyone think how wierd it is that they cast a redhead to playa blonde and a blonde to play a redhead. Also Bryce looks more like MJ and Dunst Looks like Gwen???

MyRobotSuit 01-20-06 08:28 AM

At least it's not Bryce's dad, Ron!

Hell_Bent 01-20-06 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MinionTV
At least it's not Bryce's dad, Ron!
I'm not that into the comics so this might seem like a stupid question to most but b4 he met MJ or Gwen didnt he have a thing for Felica Hardy 1st? At least tahts how i member the tv show as a kid.

Ford 01-20-06 07:52 PM

No, in the comics (which is really the main source material), it was Gwen first, then MJ, then Betty Brant, then Felicia, then MJ, then Felicia, then MJ, then Felicia...

I know the casting seems odd and working in a character out of order is even more odd, but Raimi has done such a great job with the movies I'm sure he'll only improve on the comics. And Bryce Howard was great in "The Village", so I don't mind her being in this movie at all.

SpoOkY 01-20-06 10:10 PM

yeah the movies have been good so far, the director (raimi) has done a great job. I'm not to fussed on the order concerning to comic books of Spiderman's girlfriends but I can't wait to see venom. He was definately one of the coolest characters when I watched the show.

Wonder Boy 01-21-06 12:08 AM

Does anyone know if either Marvel or Sony has actualy confirmed that Topherr Grace is actually playing Venom??

Ford 01-22-06 11:05 PM

Most sites still list his character as "unknown". If it wasn't for Kirsten Dunst, there wouldn't even be any talk about it.

I still wish the Lizard had been in this one though.

LUUUKE 01-28-06 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
Does anyone know if either Marvel or Sony has actualy confirmed that Topherr Grace is actually playing Venom??
it would suck if he did. venom is supposed to be buff and tall

Reservoir Drought 01-28-06 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by LUUUKE
So is Beast in X3, yet Kelsey Grammer is playing him and they've made him look pretty tough.

Seeing how well the other two films have done I have faith that they'll make venom look good. Even introducing Gwen Stacy into the film (which is still a little peculiar).

Sedai 01-28-06 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by LUUUKE
Venom is actually a suit.... Neither buff, nor tall. If a buff and/or tall person put the suit on, he would then be buff and/or tall...

I presume they will go with the Ultimate origin of venom, as the original is not very cool (and marvel has sworn of alien characters for good).

[spoilers = Venom Origin]In Ultimate Spiderman, the suit is an experiment in the fight against terminal disease, namely cancer. The biosuit is legacy left to Peter and another character by their fathers, who had been working on the project.[/spoilers]

I like the Ultimate origin of venom WAY more than the original, as I always thought Venom was sort of goofy and over the top before. WIll be interesting to see what they do with it...

Pyro Tramp 01-28-06 01:07 PM

I figured they'd do the space option since MJs fiancee in Spiderman 2 had just returned from space or something. Or maybe i made it up, but i'm sure someone went to space in Spidey 2 so i assume that will link in Venom to Spidey 3.

Ultimate sounds a bit too like how all the other (film) villians got their powers- science, i'd like to see something different like alien, i'd find it interesting to see the change.

Sleezy 01-28-06 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I figured they'd do the space option since MJs fiancee in Spiderman 2 had just returned from space or something
In the original story, John Jamison brings the symbiote suit back. So yeah, they could go that route. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will. I mean, John Jamison could have just been included for continuity (and to serve as MJ's squeeze to torment Peter). Look at Dr. Connors. He might never turn into the Lizard in the films, but just his presence brings the Spiderman world alive a little bit more.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Venom is actually a suit.... Neither buff, nor tall. If a buff and/or tall person put the suit on, he would then be buff and/or tall...
I'd be upset if Venom wasn't hulking, though. Ideally, he should be computer-generated. I mean, he looks a certain way in the comics because of the nature of his character, and - visually - he's supposed to be a stark opposite to Spiderman. (It's the same reason why I hate the sleek, GQ Superman suit for Superman Returns. You can't change the design of a character to something that doesn't match that character himself).

Ok, What the F**k!!! Gwen Stacy????
My thoughts exactly. Why are they trying to stick her in there now? I know they wanted to establish Mary Jane (the eventual love interest) early on, but it would have been more potent to have Peter suffer the death of Gwen Stacy to reinforce the "if my enemies found out my identity, they could hurt the ones I love" routine. That would have given Peter a precedent for his reluctance to pursue Mary Jane.

On another note does anyone think how wierd it is that they cast a redhead to playa blonde and a blonde to play a redhead. Also Bryce looks more like MJ and Dunst Looks like Gwen???
Jesus, you're right! Not just the looks thing, the characters seem like they'd be so much better if flipped. Bryce Dallas Howard can play fiesty, womanly, independent, and mature better than Kirsten Dunst, and Dunst can play the bubbly-but-sincere beauty queen better than Howard. At least, that's how I always interpreted the characters.

Ford 01-28-06 03:59 PM

I always thought that Topher Grace could take over the role of Peter Parker when Tobey Maguire got to be too expensive. It's odd to see them in the same movie.

In the comics John Jameson became the Man Wolf or Werewolf-by-Night, didn't he?

Sleezy 01-28-06 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ford
In the comics John Jameson became the Man Wolf or Werewolf-by-Night, didn't he?
Yeah, but they've still got better villains to choose from...

Ford 01-28-06 04:09 PM

Easily, but it just shows that they can feel free to ignore certain aspects of the comics. That was a pretty good jump he made onto the boat at the end of 2 though.

TheUsualSuspect 01-28-06 06:03 PM

This movie is going to be so long. Should be interesting to see how they plan to fit, Venom, Sandman, Harry+Green Goblin Suit, Gwen all into one movie.

Are there any plans for more? If so will Raimi and co still be apart of the series? I'd like to see Raimi get into other films. Besides, how many times do you want to see Spider-man swinging around anyway?

Wonder Boy 01-31-06 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sleezy
My thoughts exactly. Why are they trying to stick her in there now? I know they wanted to establish Mary Jane (the eventual love interest) early on, but it would have been more potent to have Peter suffer the death of Gwen Stacy to reinforce the "if my enemies found out my identity, they could hurt the ones I love" routine. That would have given Peter a precedent for his reluctance to pursue Mary Jane.

Jesus, you're right! Not just the looks thing, the characters seem like they'd be so much better if flipped. Bryce Dallas Howard can play fiesty, womanly, independent, and mature better than Kirsten Dunst, and Dunst can play the bubbly-but-sincere beauty queen better than Howard. At least, that's how I always interpreted the characters.

I'm glad someone agrees with mee all my friends are trying to side with Raimi's decision and saying that he'll do a great job yadda yadda yadda. Gwen was probably the second-most powerful driving force behind Peter staying a super hero, behind Uncle Ben. I was really looking forward to this movie and after this news, not so much now.

Everytime I look at Bryce Howard I see Mary Jane and vice versa for Dunst as Gwen.

Sleezy 01-31-06 05:23 PM

I'm glad someone agrees with mee all my friends are trying to side with Raimi's decision and saying that he'll do a great job yadda yadda yadda. Gwen was probably the second-most powerful driving force behind Peter staying a super hero, behind Uncle Ben. I was really looking forward to this movie and after this news, not so much now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad decision to include her. In fact, she needs to be there. All I'm saying is, why are they putting her in the films now? I believe the first film, as acclaimed as it is, would have benefited from her character all the more. Now, it seems like her character might not have the effect she's supposed to have because, as viewers, we've already been there. We know what bad guys can do if they find out who Spiderman really is. We don't need a dead girl to tell us that.

And the whole reason why Gwen Stacy shakes things up so much is because Peter honestly loves her when he suffers her death. How is Raimi going to swing that angle now that Peter and Mary Jane are together? My guess is he's going to leave the Peter/Gwen love story at the door. Which again begs the question: Why are they putting her in the films now?

Wonder Boy 01-31-06 05:36 PM

Gwen Stacy should have been in the first movie along with Mary Jane along as a friend to both of them and the Goblin should have thrown Gwen from the bridge and in Peters attempt to save her she dies. Just as they did in the comics. Then Peter and Mary Jane could have gotten together just as they did in the second movie with some tweaks. But to throw Gwen in now really came out of left field.

Sleezy 01-31-06 07:01 PM

Gwen Stacy should have been in the first movie along with Mary Jane along as a friend to both of them and the Goblin should have thrown Gwen from the bridge and in Peters attempt to save her she dies. Just as they did in the comics. Then Peter and Mary Jane could have gotten together just as they did in the second movie with some tweaks. But to throw Gwen in now really came out of left field.
Exactly. :yup:

pavo_roddy 01-31-06 08:33 PM

HI all,

True, throwing gwen stacy in right now is odd, but peter parker has been after other girls before Mary Jane, and after dating her....I think that Mary Jane will have some problems with petey never being around, or something to that effect... Plus him putting himself in harms way or something.....Maybe he'll come home all bruised up a couple times and she'll get fed up with his crime fighting side......Not the best thoughts on how to introduce Gwen but hey guys so far the whole gwen thing is a rumor......

Hell_Bent 02-03-06 12:27 PM

Spiderman Spoiler

http://iesb.net/sony2006/020106.php

MyRobotSuit 02-24-06 04:34 PM

Black Suit Teaser Poster!

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/pics/spidey3teaser.jpg

Revenant 02-24-06 04:40 PM

cool :cool:

MyRobotSuit 02-24-06 04:54 PM

Rev, I haven't seen you in ages!

Revenant 02-24-06 05:01 PM

Couldn't get hold of a computer. But I'm back now and on my own computer too. So no more long sojourns. Hoorah.

Blister 02-24-06 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MinionTV
That's bitchin' :D

Ford 02-24-06 07:14 PM

Does it look like something is grinning in the reflection from Spidey's eye or am I just seeing things? They've done stuff like that for the posters of the previous movies.

I was hoping for more of a design change actually. This is just the standard suit done in black.

Apparently, James Franco's grandmother lives near Cleveland, because she told a local reporter that he said he's playing "The Hobgoblin" in this film. This makes me wonder if Topher Grace is actually Venom, or if he's just someone that Harry Osborn frames as the Hobgoblin.

Revenant 02-24-06 07:29 PM

I see something too. It appears to be a side head view of the hobgoblin.

Sleezy 02-24-06 10:21 PM

I was hoping for more of a design change actually. This is just the standard suit done in black.
Agreed. Particularly something to off-set the black (which is why the white eyes and emblem come in handy in the comics). Hell, your current avatar is better looking than this all-black suit. My guess is they don't want to screw with a specific design that's permeated two films already, lest the audience get confused and lose interest. Audiences are fickle that way.

Apparently, James Franco's grandmother lives near Cleveland, because she told a local reporter that he said he's playing "The Hobgoblin" in this film. This makes me wonder if Topher Grace is actually Venom, or if he's just someone that Harry Osborn frames as the Hobgoblin.
Hmm. Well, considering that the suit is black, I'm guessing that's a major indication that Venom will be making an appearance.

7thson 02-25-06 12:17 AM

So when will the first "real" crossover take place....heard rumors of a Spidey 4 X-men 4 thing, but hey who knows. It is gonna happen though....wait n see.

Sleezy 02-25-06 12:34 AM

Does it look like something is grinning in the reflection from Spidey's eye or am I just seeing things?
Enlarged and brightened with added contrast:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...an-mystery.jpg

Let the speculation begin.

(Actually, I think the image of the grinning Green Goblin face is pretty clear. Although, the mask doesn't appear to be the same as Norman Osborne's helmet in the first one. It looks like the teeth are together in the smile, not apart. And there's a bizarre color/texture shift between the top and bottom halves of the face.)

NOTE: Stepping back to view the pic is recommended.

EDIT: For comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ous/goblin.jpg

Reservoir Drought 02-25-06 10:48 AM

So Spiderman 3's going to have three villains? Let's just hope they don't kill them all off by the end of it.

Pyro Tramp 02-25-06 12:10 PM

Just wondering how they'll fit it all in. I'm guessing Sandman is going to be just in the very start only.

Ford 02-25-06 05:04 PM

There was talk that Harry might actually not be a villain...yet. He might choose his friendship with Peter over his anger at Spider-Man for killing his father. Some time will have passed since the second movie, so it's safe to assume that Peter would have talked to Harry about what happened.

Maybe this isn't the finished black suit from the film. Perhaps Spidey falls in some black paint and comes out looking like this. He likes the look so then he goes and makes a new design? I dunno, I just find it hard to believe that they'd take such a lazy approach to the suit. Maybe the webs will be white on it or something.

The odds of any Marvel comics movies having a crossover are slim. For one, you'll never see Spider-Man vs X-Men because Spider-Man's movie rights are owned by Sony, and the X-Men's by Fox. Because Daredevil is owned by Fox, you won't be seeing the Kingpin in a Spider-Man movie either. Seeing a matchup of DC Comics characters is much more likely, because DC is owned by Warner Brothers. They could make a movie of any character that they wish to.

Wonder Boy 02-27-06 11:41 PM

Hobgoblin, Sandman, AND Venom?? I really hope that they are filming the third and fourth installment at the same time but if they arent it will probably be a really long one, at least 3 hours. Two villains in the same movie is really pushing it and if Raimi trys to put three into one movie it'll probably be pretty crappy. I'm really hoping that their filming two movies at the same time. I think that they are really trying to fit way to many thing into this, but if anyone can make it great its Raimi.

TheUsualSuspect 02-28-06 04:05 PM

Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin

All have more then one villian........granted, we want this to be good though right?

Sleezy 02-28-06 05:04 PM

I've got a feeling the Green Goblin is going to fight Spiderman until the other two bad guys appear. Looks like the end is going to be a superhero tag-team match...

Wonder Boy 02-28-06 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin

All have more then one villian........granted, we want this to be good though right?

:yup:

KaPa 03-04-06 12:18 PM

From the comics....
The alien symbiote that Venom is wearing first attached it selfe on to spider-man and his suite become black. The suite feed on his adrealine. After he managed to separate it, the symbiote found a new owner Eddie Brock aka Venom. Read it here.

http://www.samruby.com/Spiderverse/S...lackMTU141.gif

Opie Wayne 03-07-06 03:16 PM

I agree

Originally Posted by Reservoir Drought
So is Beast in X3, yet Kelsey Grammer is playing him and they've made him look pretty tough.

Seeing how well the other two films have done I have faith that they'll make venom look good. Even introducing Gwen Stacy into the film (which is still a little peculiar).
Yes I was shocked to say the least, that Kelsey Grammar, was playing but I have always enjoyed his roles, so here's hoping...

Opie Wayne 03-07-06 03:26 PM

Spidey 3 should be a good movie " SHOULD BE " I have seen worse screw ups in my lifetime so don't take that statment to heart...but with the introduction of venom to cinema it :cough: " should be " :cough: a box hit for a least a few weeks...I mean the last 2 were at the top of the charts for months...right???

On another note- X3 only needs one promise to make me want to see it again and again and tht would be...Mr. Sinister with some awesome dialogue...because in order to screw that up you would need 2 monkeys and an anteater doing the direction, writing and casting...that and the introduction of a couple of the cooler henchmen which would be icing on the cake!

MyRobotSuit 03-30-06 07:44 AM

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/SM3black.jpg

It's a proven fake but I hope the suit looks just as good as this in the movie.

Ford 03-30-06 07:02 PM

They're going to be filming some second unit footage here in Cleveland! Woohoo! :D

Sleezy 03-30-06 07:14 PM

They're going to be filming some second unit footage here in Cleveland! Woohoo! :D
You going to try to be an extra? :)

Ford 03-30-06 07:19 PM

I have the email address to send info to. I might send in min just for the hell of it but I have no reason to expect anything to become of it. With my luck they'd make me stand in one spot and then dump a ton of sand on me.

jon123 04-03-06 09:47 PM

eh?

i think the choice for venom is good and bad...

good being topher is about the same size/build as toby...bad as in i used to read spider-man comics and venom is a big muscle dude!

Godsend 04-03-06 10:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man

I'm guessing it's accurate.

Sooo...they screwed up the entire plot, eh. Well what can you do? Trying to adapt TV to Cinema is hard. They did produce two explosive movies none-the-less.

What I still dont understand, even after reading that, is what/who is Venom? I remember watching Spiderman~!~!~!~! on FOX on Saturday mornings and what not, but I just don't remember crap about it.

The Gwen Stacy story is sad. In fact, whenever a fictional character dies I get all emotional and wonder how it would be in real life. Remember Flander's wife in The Simpsons? Yeah. </3

:p

Ford 04-03-06 11:19 PM

The Spider-Man cartoon from the 90's was pretty horrible. Don't expect any of it to be used as source material for the movies. The comics are the bible. For a better cartoon version, watch the '67 version or even "Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends". The stories were silly in that, but the animation was better.

Venom is essentially a cool looking black costume. They made a character off of that. In the comics it was an alien symbiote that Spider-Man picked up at the end of the Secret Wars 2 series. It has a different origin in the "Ulitmate Spider-Man" comic line, which is probably what will be used in the movie.

Wonder Boy 04-04-06 02:33 PM

I remember that there were talks of having Black Cat appear in the second movie but Raimi decided to cut it, so has anyone heard if she'll be in his one at all???

Sleezy 04-04-06 02:42 PM

I remember that there were talks of having Black Cat appear in the second movie but Raimi decided to cut it, so has anyone heard if she'll be in his one at all???
Not likely. Four potential villains notwithstanding, now we've got Gwen Stacy. I doubt Raimi will have the time, room, or interest to include Black Cat (but to be honest, I'd rather see her in Spiderman 3 than Stacy).

Wonder Boy 04-04-06 09:56 PM

I wonder if Raimi would forget about felicia hardy and make it so that Gwen is the Black Cat. I don't know how it would work but I could definetly see him doing it.

John_Doe 04-05-06 11:54 PM

Grace is a Terriable cast Eddie Brock a.k.a Venom is suppost to be a bg buff guy and Eric Foreman i don't think is a good person to play someone with muscles

Sleezy 04-06-06 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by John_Doe
Grace is a Terriable cast Eddie Brock a.k.a Venom is suppost to be a bg buff guy and Eric Foreman i don't think is a good person to play someone with muscles
*sigh*

1. In Ultimate Spiderman, Eddie Brock is a wimpy guy like Peter. I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Raimi was borrowing from that. (So no, Eddie Brock isn't supposed to be anything, really.)

2. Any actor can beef up. I think Tobey Maguire proved that to us.

3. It never really mattered that Eddie Brock was bigger than Peter Parker in the comics. As Venom, he's enormous, and I'm guessing they'll use CG for that.

4. Gwen Stacy was supposed to be thrown off the bridge, not Mary Jane. If you're going to argue accuracy, argue that and everything else they've changed.

5. Acting > Appearance

John_Doe 04-06-06 11:39 AM

*sigh*

1. In Ultimate Spiderman, Eddie Brock is a wimpy guy like Peter. I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Raimi was borrowing from that. (So no, Eddie Brock isn't supposed to be anything, really.)

2. Any actor can beef up. I think Tobey Maguire proved that to us.

3. It never really mattered that Eddie Brock was bigger than Peter Parker in the comics. As Venom, he's enormous, and I'm guessing they'll use CG for that.

4. Gwen Stacy was supposed to be thrown off the bridge, not Mary Jane. If you're going to argue accuracy, argue that and everything else they've changed.

5. Acting > Appearance
It will b funny to see Eric Foreman get more buff as his movie debeut comes closer, I know this is not his first movie but i don't really comsider that first movie of his to b a shining moment in the history of film

Lunaris Leo 04-29-06 07:06 AM

Well, I don't know about the actors, but I definatly like the poster

Naisy 04-29-06 11:03 AM

Easily, but it just shows that they can feel free to ignore certain aspects of the comics. That was a pretty good jump he made onto the boat at the end of 2 though.
There's no movie adaptation of comic characters that has been able that does incorperate the whole story of the comic version of a character, Thats because the comic went for years, therefore if you wanted to include all aspects of villians, Spidy and his loves you would need to create a movie that was about 8,942.665 hours long approx.

MyRobotSuit 04-29-06 04:42 PM

Hi Naisy, missed ya!

...but you didn't make any sense there. :(

Eyes 04-29-06 05:55 PM

I saw them filming in cleveland. If anyone watches the movie, and sees a "Stout" coach bus #1801 with a bunch of teenagers screaming, that's me

Tim Johnson 05-07-06 05:32 AM

This movie looks like the type of Spider Man that will make more than the other two Spider Man movies previously made in the box office but again looks like the movie that won't be as good as the other two Spider Man movies. It will be great but not as good as the other two is what I predict.

TangentUniverse 05-07-06 02:41 PM

This series has been successful partially to its being faithful to the comic series. If Topher Grace plays Venom, it will be ruined, much like it would if Mysterio was used and was represented like he was in the Spider-Man 2 video game.

pavo_roddy 05-08-06 08:31 PM

HI all,

Tangent, there is a series of comics where Eddie Brock, "venom", is just a small nerdy guy like Peter Parker... I cannot remember what the name of it is right now, and I am sure that someone will chime in with it sooner or later... This is the comic series where everyone else thinks that Sam Raimi (sp) is taking Venom from... So technically Venom is takin from the comics too.....

Escape 05-08-06 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by TangentUniverse
much like it would if Mysterio was used and was represented like he was in the Spider-Man 2 video game.
How was he represented in the Spider-Man 2 video game?

Wonder Boy 05-08-06 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by pavo_roddy
HI all,

Tangent, there is a series of comics where Eddie Brock, "venom", is just a small nerdy guy like Peter Parker... I cannot remember what the name of it is right now, and I am sure that someone will chime in with it sooner or later... This is the comic series where everyone else thinks that Sam Raimi (sp) is taking Venom from... So technically Venom is takin from the comics too.....

That was taken from the Ultimate Spider-man comic line. one of the best ever.

kinglear 05-10-06 07:23 PM

I can't wait to see what Bryce Howard does in it. I love these Spiderman movies, and I never thought Tobey Maguire would be such a perfect Spiderman. He really did this thing.

spudracer 05-10-06 07:28 PM

That was taken from the Ultimate Spider-man comic line. one of the best ever.
Yes, yes it was.

Originally Posted by Escape
How was he represented in the Spider-Man 2 video game?
In the game Mysterio's character was that of a bumbling special effects person, pretending to be an alien from another universe. It was probably the worst part of the game, I loathed every sequence that I had to fight him in.

Sleezy 05-11-06 10:45 AM

This series has been successful partially to its being faithful to the comic series. If Topher Grace plays Venom, it will be ruined.
Disagreed. By your logic, the film would have been ruined already by the complete exclusion of Gwen Stacy. I know most Spiderman fans were unhappy about that, and thought that it might actually ruin the story, but it seems that this was not the case.

These films, I would argue, have succeeded for many reasons: one, of course, being the relative adherence to source material; two, being the brilliant casting (for the most part); and three, being the competent direction (particularly art direction, I think) that has made these films come alive.

I would also argue that, given our complete ignorance of how Topher Grace will be performing in Spider-Man 3, it would be folly to suggest that he will be ruining the film, particularly on the basis you have suggested. Because if they can nix Gwen Stacy - a MAJOR part of Peter Parker's genesis as Spiderman - and get away with it, then who really cares if the guy playing Eddie Brock doesn't look like a football player?

And once again, I re-iterate what I said in a past post in this very thread: (a) it's the acting that will count, more so than the appearance; (b) anyone can beef up; (c) it doesn't really matter how big Eddie Brock is, because once he becomes Venom, he'll be enormous (due presumably to CG, hopefully); and (d) in Ultimate Spiderman, Eddie Brock is a wimpy guy like Peter anyway.

Zeiken 05-11-06 07:36 PM

They pulled off a small Eddie Brock in ultimate. Yeah- i was a bit taken back when i saw it at first- but by the next page i could tell it wouldnt be a problem for me. I think one of the most beautiful things about movies is their ability to retell farmiliar stories. im not talking remakes, im talking about finding your own way to tell a story that people already know. In the end, the whole brock thing is miniscule.

And who would you rather have? The Rock? :laugh:

Sleezy 05-11-06 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zeiken
And who would you rather have? The Rock? :laugh:
Probably not, because he's not blonde. (And that would be a travesty!) :p

TangentUniverse 05-12-06 04:20 PM

Disagreed. By your logic, the film would have been ruined already by the complete exclusion of Gwen Stacy. I know most Spiderman fans were unhappy about that, and thought that it might actually ruin the story, but it seems that this was not the case.

These films, I would argue, have succeeded for many reasons: one, of course, being the relative adherence to source material; two, being the brilliant casting (for the most part); and three, being the competent direction (particularly art direction, I think) that has made these films come alive.

I would also argue that, given our complete ignorance of how Topher Grace will be performing in Spider-Man 3, it would be folly to suggest that he will be ruining the film, particularly on the basis you have suggested. Because if they can nix Gwen Stacy - a MAJOR part of Peter Parker's genesis as Spiderman - and get away with it, then who really cares if the guy playing Eddie Brock doesn't look like a football player?

And once again, I re-iterate what I said in a past post in this very thread: (a) it's the acting that will count, more so than the appearance; (b) anyone can beef up; (c) it doesn't really matter how big Eddie Brock is, because once he becomes Venom, he'll be enormous (due presumably to CG, hopefully); and (d) in Ultimate Spiderman, Eddie Brock is a wimpy guy like Peter anyway.

Sure, but hey, certain things were changed that didn't bother me as much. Examples: Peter's web ability being natural, Peter living next door to MJ, etc. but one of the most important aspects to ME is how an actor represents a character, and while this is just my opinion, a nerdy Venom is horrible. A nerdy Mysterio is bad, but a nerdy Eddie Brock is just horrible, so if that is how Venom is represented instead of the muscle-bound psycho that Venom was best seen as, I will certainly be dissapointed. Not saying I won't be able to live with it, but I'm not fond of the idea. And I never followed Ultimate Spider-Man, so I was not aware that tehre was one, but now that I know there is, I'll be sure not to read it. Thank you :P

And let's not forget that the story hasn't gotten into that clone business yet.

Sleezy 05-12-06 04:54 PM

Sure, but hey, certain things were changed that didn't bother me as much. Examples: Peter's web ability being natural, Peter living next door to MJ, etc. but one of the most important aspects to ME is how an actor represents a character, and while this is just my opinion, a nerdy Venom is horrible. A nerdy Mysterio is bad, but a nerdy Eddie Brock is just horrible, so if that is how Venom is represented instead of the muscle-bound psycho that Venom was best seen as, I will certainly be dissapointed. Not saying I won't be able to live with it, but I'm not fond of the idea.
But you didn't initially say anything about a nerdy Eddie Brock ruining the film. You said that if Topher Grace plays Eddie Brock, the film would be ruined - which means that you're automatically assuming Topher Grace will be playing a nerdy Eddie Brock. I don't think that's a fair assumption, given that we've seen no footage of the film, much less his part in it.

And I never followed Ultimate Spider-Man, so I was not aware that tehre was one, but now that I know there is, I'll be sure not to read it. Thank you :P
I'm sorry you feel that way, because Brian Michael Bendis has done incredible things with that story. And dismissing an entire comic book just because they changed one character detail (this is the Ultimate universe we're talking about) seems pretty shallow to me, but whatever.

And let's not forget that the story hasn't gotten into that clone business yet.
So?

jrs 05-14-06 01:37 AM

Beware...Major Spoilers!!

Major, Major Spidey 3 Spoilers.....BEWARE!!!

Escape 05-14-06 03:22 AM

That Venom fan pic before those spoilers if indeed spoilers of course, looks awesome. Very realistic indeed. :)

Hell_Bent 05-30-06 01:48 PM

clarification

anyone notice that at IMDB the person who plays Aunt may also has a side role as Carnage, probably an error but anyone hear anything about this?
Rosemary Harris .... May Parker/Carnage (attached)

Reservoir Drought 05-30-06 07:16 PM

Peter Parker has to face his biggest foe yet!!! A decrepit old lady with a symbiot...this is what Peter gets for not taking out the trash for his aunt.

jrs 05-30-06 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hell_Bent
anyone notice that at IMDB the person who plays Aunt may also has a side role as Carnage, probably an error but anyone hear anything about this?
Rosemary Harris .... May Parker/Carnage (attached)
It does ound pretty strange - especially with the history of Carnage in the comics....

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Carnage was once serial killer Cletus Kasady, and became Carnage after merging with the offspring of the alien symbiote called Venom during a prison breakout. The symbiote amplified his psychopathy and made him infinitely more dangerous. Unlike Venom, Carnage is a singular entity, referring to himself as "I" instead of "We", because the symbiote has actually merged into Kasady's bloodstream.

Carnage is also the "father" of Toxin.

Kasady believes he killed his father, who apparently killed the boy's mother when she tried to kill him; as he is completely insane, however, he is self-admittedly unclear on the exact details ("...or is it the other way around?"). It is also unclear on Kasady's relationship with his mother, as he seems to have feelings for her, causing him to dig up her grave at the end of Maximum Carnage. He also revealed that he killed his grandmother when he was younger, pushing her down a flight of stairs. He also tortured animals (including his own dog) when he was young. His largely self-invented past and personality is one of the many traits he shares with the Joker, upon whom he is largely based.

Kasady has been separated and re-attached to the symbiote multiple times. The Carnage symbiote has occasionally attached itself to other hosts, including The Silver Surfer, and the Ben Reilly version of Spider-Man. Venom later decided to absorb the Carnage symbiote "for good," during which Kasady retained the Carnage persona by costuming himself in red paint and continuing his killing sprees (albeit as a powerless human). This was short lived, however, as Kasady coincidentally found an exact replica of the symbiote in the Negative Zone. Why this symbiote is an identical copy, or where it came from, has yet to be explained, although it stands to reason that the story was a wrap-up of a dangling plot thread by writer Howard Mackie.
First Appearance: Amazing Spider-Man #344, as a cameo as Carnage in Amazing Spider-Man #360 and Fully as Carnage in Amazing Spider-Man #361

jrs 05-30-06 10:49 PM

New Spidey 3 Pics

New Spiderman 3 Pics

wonderwall 05-31-06 12:57 PM

I think Topher Grace will be alright for Venom. After all, weren't a bunch of people critical about Tobey Macguire being Spiderman?

Only time will tell ..

jrs 06-01-06 08:49 PM

Spider-Man 3 has 4 Villains!

Producer Avi Arad (A day before leaving Marvel to persue an independant career) took the time to give a short interview with iFMagazine. What was discused? Well, besides a little bit of info on the black costume shown in the current poster, Arad did reveal that there will actually be 4 villains in the upcoming Spider-Man 3. So far Venom, Sandman, and Green Goblin have been confirmed, but Arad was unable to announce the 4th officially.

"Right we have four villains. Pretty soon [we’ll reveal the fourth villain] I believe. Maybe around Comic Con we’ll reveal something and the madness will begin", Arad said.

I believe that right now the common fan rumor is that the 4th villain will likely be The Lizard aka Dr. Conners due to being featured during a short scene in "Spider-Man 2" and mentioned briefly in "Spider-Man". But how is this for a confirmation?

Please take note of the IMDB listing for Spider-Man 3. Near the top of the cast list you will find Dylan Baker credited as 'Curt Conners Ph.D/ The Lizard'

Source: MoviesOnline

mistermojo810 06-01-06 09:04 PM

Topher Is The Worst Casting Choice For Venom And I Believed Shouldnt Be Someone Who Is Large To Begin With, Since After Eddie Brock Becomes Venom Is When He Starts Working Out

Pyro Tramp 06-01-06 09:13 PM

Bruce Campbell Should Be Playing Curt Connors/The Lizard :(; I Thought Raimi Wanted To Use Him In That Role, To Some Extent, Earlier, Fingers Crossed He Gets A Decent Cameo.

(why use capitals for every word?)

Pyro Tramp 06-02-06 01:08 PM

Oh, heard Bruce Campbell might be playing the 4th villian, Mysterio! Aces.

Blister 06-02-06 03:44 PM

4 villians seem a bit much in one movie....but oh well. I'll still watch it.

jrs 06-02-06 09:06 PM

Spiderman 3 will have Sandman, The Green Goblin 2, Venom (for the last 10 minutes of the movie) and the fourth???? Sam Raimi said he wants to keep a secret. It would cause mass hyteria when the world found out who it was.

Originally Posted by Pyrotramp
Oh, heard Bruce Campbell might be playing the 4th villian, Mysterio! Aces.
Where'd on Earth you hear that? :laugh: I'm sorry, but good ol' Bruce "Ash" Campbell won't be in the film this time.

jrs 06-03-06 01:40 AM

Typo?

OG- 06-03-06 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by jrs
Where'd on Earth you hear that? :laugh: I'm sorry, but good ol' Bruce "Ash" Campbell won't be in the film this time.
Says who? I'm sure he won't fill the role of a villain, but I've no doubt he'll be in the picture. Just as I've no doubt that Sam Raimi's car will also make an appearance. It's just the way things work...

7thson 06-03-06 02:53 AM

Yeah next thing you know Arnold will be doing cameos in The Rock's films

Zeiken 06-03-06 02:58 AM

400 villians? Now that sounds tasty...Spidey might be just a little outnumbered, im afraid...

Blister 06-03-06 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jrs
Spiderman 3 Venom (for the last 10 minutes of the movie)
Didn't know that.......well he better damn well be in the fourth film if he's only in the end of it.

Pyro Tramp 06-03-06 11:09 AM

Why put Venom in for only the last 10 minutes, that's what im looking forward to seeing the most. And Jrs, if Bruce isn't in it at all, you owe me all your dvds. Deal? Cool

Blister 06-03-06 11:49 AM

Who knows, i'd rather have Venom as the main villian than Sandman/Green Goblin 2/the 4th guy. Although, i don't know where JRS got the 'last 10 mins' part of it.....

Pyro Tramp 06-03-06 12:08 PM

I'm guessing, considering the last two, Green Goblin will be the final showdown, but was hoping it would be after Venom ripping it up through the main body of the film and having Sandman opening the film. Hoping the 4th villian will play a more interesting role, like helping Spiderman. Either way, i cannay wait.

Reservoir Drought 06-03-06 12:47 PM

Sorry, i just want to get past the whole 4 villians thing for a second. A couple things I hope will be in this film:
  1. Remember in Spiderman 2 when about everyone saw who Spiderman was in the Subway Car? Well, at the beginning of the film they should have one of them spot Spidy out, kind of an annoying crazed fan.
  2. Have Spidy infested with the Symbiote. Kind of an obvious choice that would explain the black costume but...SYMBIOTE SPIDY!!!

Sci-Fi-Guy 06-03-06 06:31 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way, because Brian Michael Bendis has done incredible things with that story. And dismissing an entire comic book just because they changed one character detail (this is the Ultimate universe we're talking about) seems pretty shallow to me, but whatever.
So?
I agree.
You're really missing out if you've never checked out this series.
The Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate Fantastic Four comic books brought me back to Marvel after going DC only for several years.

When Ultimate Spidey first came out it felt like something fresh and new. I kept thinking, "Now this is what the Spiderman movie should be like when they make one!"
When they finally did make a movie it wasn't like the Ultimate book but I still wasn't disapointed anyway.

I'm sure Topher will do a fine job as Eddie Brock.

Now I'm just damn curious if a Carnage symbiote attaches to Aunt May in this one?
That would just be... wierd. :eek:

jrs 06-03-06 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Blister
Although, i don't know where JRS got the 'last 10 mins' part of it.....
Directly quoted from Sam Raimi

Blister 06-04-06 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jrs
Directly quoted from Sam Raimi
Oh.....well that's a bit disappointing. Oh well, it still should be good. :)

jrs 06-04-06 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blister
Oh.....well that's a bit disappointing. Oh well, it still should be good. :)

With Venom at the last 10 minutes....what a better climatic fight to possibly lead to a possible 4th film???? ;)

Blister 06-04-06 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jrs
With Venom at the last 10 minutes....what a better climatic fight to possibly lead to a possible 4th film???? ;)
Hmm, never thought about it like that.....makes me feel better on that subject, but at least there'll be something to look forward to at the end :D