Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=31726)

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 09:39 PM

The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Congrats to the following, they were drawn to be long term members:
The Usual Suspect
HitchFan97
donniedarko
teeter_g
The Rodent

The Nominees are:

City Lights (1931, Charlie Chaplin)
http://rescdn.qqmail.com/dyimg/20130...6D907FC92C.jpg

Nominated by: jal90

Duck Soup (1933, Leo McCarey)
http://media.spectable.com/image/big...jpg?1363275288
I nominate this since I believe it's the greatest comedy ever made. The Marx Brothers perfect the art of slapstick and puns. Despite being 80 years old, a near imitation doesn't exist, and the experience has not been re-created. The insane stunts this pulls, and how they're pulled, makes this a near perfect comedy. That's why I believe this should be in the MoFo hall of fame.

Nominated by: donniedarko

Psycho (1960, Alfred Hitchcock)
http://www.nightmovie13.in/wp-conten...sycho-1960.jpg
It's pretty well known on here how much I love this film, so I'll try to keep my comments brief. Anyways, Psycho was the movie that hooked me on (good) movies, and to this day I never tire of it. Forget the enormous influence it's had; this is still the most subversive and devilishly entertaining thriller ever made. It's also a great black comedy and contains some of Hitchcock's most astute social commentary. Watch carefully for what the Master is saying about secrets, lies, and the masks we all wear.

Nominated by: HitchFan97

The Producers (1968, Mel Brooks)
http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads...wfo0gqNWZP.jpg

Nominated by: The Gunslinger45

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984, Hayao Miyazaki)
http://image1.webscache.com/baike/ha...9019061082.jpg
Voted the greatest animated film of all time by a poll of hundreds of thousands of anime fans in 2007 and by a poll of Japanese critics in 2009, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind represents a historical landmark in animation, by telling a complex science fiction story dealing with the relationship between man and nature using a medium usually reserved for more simplistic endeavours. Considered by many to be Miyazaki's masterpiece and a triumph of imagination, Nausicaä is a must see for anyone who seeks to be familiar with the wider canon of film.

Nominated by: Guaporense

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985, Woody Allen)
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3...radelcairo.jpg
Just tons and tons of fun, great original concept pulled off with style, with brilliant trademark Woody Allen writing. Simultaneously a sharp indictment of the film industry and a love letter to film itself. Unafraid to subvert expectations and delve into incredibly bittersweet territory towards the end.

Nominated by: Skepsis93

RoboCop (1987, Paul Verhoeven)
http://www.dl.skysharghi.asia/Collection/Robocop.jpg
Not just an ultraviolent actioner, it's a spookily realistic view of the future to the point it's bordering foresight.

The portrayal of humanity and its faults and also the strength of the human soul and the strong character connection based on the relationship between Murphy, his family/history and between Murphy and Lewis.

Haunting soundtrack and a haunting story overall played out through talented filmmakers and actors.
Plus the special effects are better than most that are seen in modern times.

Nominated by: The Rodent

Farewell My Concubine (1993, Kaige Chen)
http://pic.pimg.tw/kenjishin/1338996966-821746296_n.jpg
Why it should be nominated: It's an epic movie rich in both Chinese culture and history. Add to that beautiful cinematography and a moving story of friendship and loyalty makes for a truely wonderful film.

Nominated by: Godoggo

American History X (1998, Tony Kaye)
http://de.web.img2.acsta.net/r_640_6...5/19277860.jpg

Nominated by: teeter_g

The Big Lebowski (1998, Ethan & Joel Coen)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wSlFCtpDaH...0/Lebowski.jpg
A hilarious neo noir comedy that is the ultimate cult classic. Full of memorable lines, characters and sequences. Possibly one of the greatest performances put to screen with Jeff Bridges as The Dude, or His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Nominated By: The Usual Suspect

Eyes Wide Shut (1999, Stanley Kubrick)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aHYKEnOdsa...999_poster.jpg
I'm nominating Eyes Wide Shut (1999), because it's really underappreciated and because I'd like to watch it again. I also think that the people who are watching it for a second time will appreciate its great visuals and its wonderful atmosphere even more!

Nominated by: Cobpyth

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004, Michael Gondry)
http://img.zamunda.net/bitbucket/Ete...tionPoster.jpg
The greatest performance I've ever seen out of an actress: Kate Winslet in Titanic...jk, Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. She's great as the manic depressive Clementine in Michael Gondry and Charlie Kaufman's highly original sci-fi/romance/drama.

Nominated by: jiraffejustin

The Gunslinger45 04-19-13 09:43 PM

Re: The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Holy Hell we got some damn good movies to choose from!

teeter_g 04-19-13 09:46 PM

I should have known someone would nominate a freakin Jim Carey movie! Dang it!

donniedarko 04-19-13 09:46 PM

I've seen nine already, I thought it would be much less. I'll try to watch the other 3 ASAP, and using my discretion I'll be rewatching five (including mine), since the rest I've viewed within this year, or as far as Eyes Wide Shut seen plenty of times. So yes exciting. But I'm confused, I thought we were doing a ranking system, not a poll.

EDIT: and it appears you included my description into Hitchfans nomination.

teeter_g 04-19-13 09:46 PM

Also, YAY! I made long term!!!

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 898084)
Holy Hell we got some damn good movies to choose from!
That's the truth. I've seen 9 out of the 12, and I like/love all 9 of them. I can't wait to revisit them all. I also can't wait to see The Purple Rose of Cairo, RoboCop, and Farewell My Concubine all for the first time.

TheUsualSuspect 04-19-13 09:47 PM

3 of those films are in my top ten!!!!

Also, you use the Duck Soup explanation for Psycho.

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 898086)
But I'm confused, I thought we were doing a ranking system, not a poll.
The public poll acts as an equal vote to our ranked votes, that way the general public will have some interest in this too. We still send in our ranked votes too. We also get to vote in the poll. We pretty much have it made.

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 898089)
3 of those films are in my top ten!!!!

Also, you use the Duck Soup explanation for Psycho.
:facepalm: Should be corrected now.

teeter_g 04-19-13 09:49 PM

Has anyone in the group not seen my movie? Just curious.

donniedarko 04-19-13 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 898091)
The public poll acts as an equal vote to our ranked votes, that way the general public will have some interest in this too. We still send in our ranked votes too. We also get to vote in the poll. We pretty much have it made.
So votes in the poll (which is for anyone) contiributes points to the tally. Ok cool was just wondering.

Edit: Also to poll voters have to see every film as well?

Sexy Celebrity 04-19-13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 898093)
Has anyone in the group not seen my movie? Just curious.
I've seen it. I didn't vote for it.

teeter_g 04-19-13 09:57 PM

LOL!

Hey Rodent, I thought sure you were gonna go for Dredd. Guess I wasn't too far off the mark though.

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 898095)

Edit: Also to poll voters have to see every film as well?
That would be preferable, but there is no way to police it. So, it will be a thing where if they haven't seen all of them and they vote anyway, they will have recurring nightmares for years to come.

Skepsis93 04-19-13 10:04 PM

My image is done f**ked up, and I didn't know we were using posters anyway. You can replace it with this one if you like, jj.

http://www.impawards.com/1985/poster...e_of_cairo.jpg

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 898108)
My image is done f**ked up, and I didn't know we were using posters anyway. You can replace it with this one if you like, jj.

http://www.impawards.com/1985/poster...e_of_cairo.jpg
I replaced it, hopefully we won't have anymore trouble with it. I decided to use posters on a whim, I don't know why really. I just like posters.

rauldc14 04-19-13 10:07 PM

so if I don't have a say in anything that is going on, do I still vote? this is really confusing to me.....

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 898110)
so if I don't have a say in anything that is going on, do I still vote? this is really confusing to me.....
Yep, you can still vote in the poll.

You should also sign up for the next round ;)

Edit: This is the MoFo hall of fame, so every MoFo'er has a say.

mark f 04-19-13 10:20 PM

The site doesn't show images from impawards.

Skepsis93 04-19-13 10:22 PM

I've only seen 5 of these. Various small factors have made me put off seeing the rest. Looking forward to it.

Quick question: Do we include our own movies in our votes?

Skepsis93 04-19-13 10:24 PM

I knew you'd do me over (heh) at some point, Rodent. Making me watch Robocop. Damn you, I say. Damn youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Guaporense 04-19-13 10:33 PM

Robocop. Good.

Also, I don't think the original rules were to form a poll. Seem 9 of those, all were great.

CelluloidChild 04-19-13 10:34 PM

A suggestion from the peanut gallery: Set up the voting by movie genre, wherever possible.

I find it really hard, for example, to compare a Marx Brothers movie to American History X.

Guaporense 04-19-13 10:53 PM

Try to watch both on the same day. It helps me when I want to measure which film is greater.

PS: Please, for those in the council, I don't recommend watching Nausicaa dubbed, unless subtitles are extremely hard for you to follow.

The Gunslinger45 04-19-13 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 898125)
Try to watch both on the same day. It helps me when I want to measure which film is greater.

PS: Please, for those in the council, I don't recommend watching Nausicaa dubbed, unless subtitles are extremely hard for you to follow.
good to know.

mark f 04-19-13 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by CelluloidChild (Post 898120)
A suggestion from the peanut gallery: Set up the voting by movie genre, wherever possible.

I find it really hard, for example, to compare a Marx Brothers movie to American History X.
I don't, but whatever. Besides there's only 48 noms and four winners per 12 months.

jiraffejustin 04-19-13 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 898117)
I've only seen 5 of these. Various small factors have made me put off seeing the rest. Looking forward to it.

Quick question: Do we include our own movies in our votes?
Yes, please include your own movie in your votes.

Originally Posted by CelluloidChild

I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time, I would like to keep it the way it is. Whichever film you would feel happiest about making it into the hall of fame, that's way you should vote.

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Also, I don't think the original rules were to form a poll.
We are still doing the ranked vote, the poll just counts the same as one of our ranked votes. It helps keep interest with those that aren't actually participating in the round.

Guaporense 04-19-13 11:06 PM

I plan to watch all these 12 movies over the next week. Even the nine ones I had already watched since it has been more than a three months since I watched any of them.

Guaporense 04-19-13 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 898130)
I don't, but whatever. Besides there's only 48 noms and four winners per 12 months.
It will take over 20 years before we get a nice large list of movies. :)

But since this forum is over 10 years old there isn't anything prohibiting it's existence for years to come.

HitchFan97 04-20-13 01:17 AM

Damn, I've only seen two of these. Glad to see Eyes Wide Shut getting nominated, it is absolutely Kubrick's most underrated film. This gives me even further incentive to finally watch Eternal Sunshine and my first Woody Allen movie (shame shame)

Sexy Celebrity 04-20-13 01:19 AM

Don't bother watching Eternal Sunshine. I don't want it to win.

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 898163)
Don't bother watching Eternal Sunshine. I don't want it to win.
Hitch has to watch it. Rules require each council member to watch every nominated film.

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 02:28 AM

I watched RoboCop. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it will be in my top 6. It's a really strong round, so any movie with a couple minor faults will be at a large disadvantage on my ballot. The dialogue was kind of annoying at times and the villain gang was kind of cheesy. Parts of it reminded me of Aliens in that aspect, and I hate Aliens. Thankfully the action sequences were all done pretty well, and the story was way better than Aliens. I am happy I watched it though, but this round is just too tough for it.

mark f 04-20-13 03:05 AM

Definitely in my top six, but I don't have to deal with that.

Harry Lime 04-20-13 04:33 AM

I have no idea what this is but I voted for Duck Soup because I like anarchy.

Cobpyth 04-20-13 06:22 AM

I've already seen 5 and I loved them all, so I'm very happy with the list.

I own most of the rest of the films on the list on DVD, so I'll be watching some of them this week already. I may watch RoboCop tonight. It's been on my watchlist for way too long.

jal90 04-20-13 06:23 AM

I have watched 9, everything except The producers, Purple rose of Cairo and Farewell to my concubine (the "Chinese movie" tag is so lovely). It seems the last one is quite long; luckily, it's one I already own in DVD.

teeter_g 04-20-13 09:55 AM

Watched City Lights and Duck Soup last night. I don't dig silent movies so that was an instant turn off for Lights, which I made infinately better by getting out my iPod and adding my own soundtrack. Soup was the probably the worst movie I have seen this month. Don't worry, I have full confidence that I will most likely gouge out my eyes and ear drums on the Jim Carey movie.

The Rodent 04-20-13 10:02 AM

City Lights and The Purple Rose of Cairo I need to see.

Farewell My Concubine and Eyes Wide Shut I'll need to rewatch, been sooo long since I saw them.

So that's 4 on my immediate watch list.

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 898217)
Watched City Lights and Duck Soup last night. I don't dig silent movies so that was an instant turn off for Lights, which I made infinately better by getting out my iPod and adding my own soundtrack. Soup was the probably the worst movie I have seen this month. Don't worry, I have full confidence that I will most likely gouge out my eyes and ear drums on the Jim Carey movie.
It's certainly not your typical Jim Carrey movie. He's not loud or obnoxious, and there is no over the top histrionics out of him. It's just an odd case of an annoying comedy actor somehow pulling off a great role that's mostly serious.

The Gunslinger45 04-20-13 10:48 AM

Do we have a time line or due date for this? Because I will have to order a few DVDs

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 898230)
Do we have a time line or due date for this? Because I will have to order a few DVDs
There's no official timeline for this yet, but I'd like to have it finished in about 2 1/2 months, so that would give us two weeks to finish up the the 2nd and 3rd round of this Hall of Fame. And give us time to start the 2nd MoFo Movie Hall of Fame. When it gets closer to that time, I'll set us a definite deadline depending on how many movies some of us may have left to see.

The Rodent 04-20-13 11:01 AM

Just noticed... the Poll at the top is for MoFo Members to vote on?

The Council votes in writing...

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 898239)
Just noticed... the Poll at the top is for MoFo Members to vote on?

The Council votes in writing...
Yep, the council sends in a ranked list. Everybody can pick one in the poll.

honeykid 04-20-13 11:13 AM

Yes, but if I understand it correctly, Council members can vote there in addition to their written votes.

The Gunslinger45 04-20-13 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 898235)
There's no official timeline for this yet, but I'd like to have it finished in about 2 1/2 months, so that would give us two weeks to finish up the the 2nd and 3rd round of this Hall of Fame. And give us time to start the 2nd MoFo Movie Hall of Fame. When it gets closer to that time, I'll set us a definite deadline depending on how many movies some of us may have left to see.
cool

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 898245)
Yes, but if I understand it correctly, Council members can vote there in addition to their written votes.
Yeah, because if I said no, I don't think I'd be able to stop it. So Council members get a full vote, and they get a portion of the overall vote. Council members are special. I love council members. ;)

The Rodent 04-20-13 11:29 AM

I'll wait to vote in the poll till I've viewed what I need to and sent in my Top 6.

teeter_g 04-20-13 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 898224)
It's certainly not your typical Jim Carrey movie. He's not loud or obnoxious, and there is no over the top histrionics out of him. It's just an odd case of an annoying comedy actor somehow pulling off a great role that's mostly serious.
I'll give it a fair chance. I always go into movies with an open mind. :)

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 898251)
I'll give it a fair chance. I always go into movies with an open mind. :)
Trust me, I went into it with some trepidation as well. Thankfully, I realized afterwards that it was unfounded.

The Rodent 04-20-13 11:34 AM

I think it's a good attitude to have.

I mean, looking at the line up in this first round, I may not even have Robocop at the #1 spot, even though it was my own choice.
It may do, it might not though... ;)

I'm going into this with the same mind-set I have when I give Rodent's Reviews... neutral.

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 898255)
I think it's a good attitude to have.

I mean, looking at the line up in this first round, I may not even have Robocop at the #1 spot, even though it was my own choice.
It may do, it might not though... ;)

I'm going into this with the same mind-set I have when I give Rodent's Reviews... neutral.
My own movie might not even be in my top 3. Psycho, The Big Lebowski, and Eyes Wide Shut all have a chance of being ranked above it. On a good day, City Lights, Duck Soup, and Nausicaa have a chance of topping it. It's just a really strong round. The winner of this one will truly deserve it if it can squeeze past this lineup.

teeter_g 04-20-13 11:38 AM

Quick question, when we rank the movies after we have watched them do we post it here or send it in a private message?

jiraffejustin 04-20-13 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 898257)
Quick question, when we rank the movies after we have watched them do we post it here or send it in a private message?
private message, though after the winner has been announced you can post how you voted.

Edit: Well, I guess you can post how you vote in the thread too. Though, I wouldn't because that could lead to somebody strategically voting depending on how your votes are ranked.

teeter_g 04-20-13 01:53 PM

Alrighty PM it is. :)

teeter_g 04-20-13 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CelluloidChild (Post 898120)

I have just been watching the movies and rating them like I would normally. When I get ready to send in my votes, I will rank them by my rating. I think that is gonna be the easiest way for me. :D So far I have watched City Lights, Duck Soup, Psycho, and The Producers. Granted, I have seen a lot of these films before but I am going to rewatch all so I get them fresh in my head to rate/rank them. I am going to go back in and watch some more in a little bit. It's cold out today anyways, might as well stay in and watch movies. :D

Guaporense 04-20-13 07:05 PM

Finished watching all movies I haven't watched. Now I will re-watch the ones I already have watched to determine a ranking. The worst movie there is perhaps American History X, which is still excellent, by the way.

Guaporense 04-20-13 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 898250)
I'll wait to vote in the poll till I've viewed what I need to and sent in my Top 6.
I have voted in the poll now, since I finished watching all the movies I haven't and I think it is clear whats the best is, though I will rewatch the other 9 so I can determine a ranking (i.e. City Lights or Psycho or Eyes Wide Shut?).

The Rodent 04-20-13 07:12 PM

Ok, just finished watching Eyes Wide Shut... borrowed it from my mate.

3 more to go.

The Rodent 04-20-13 07:15 PM

Had no idea that Wayne Manor was part of the story though.

teeter_g 04-20-13 09:45 PM

I watched through to American History X, I am just watching in the order they were released. So four more for me. I still have to watch AHX.

jiraffejustin 04-21-13 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 898390)
I watched through to American History X, I am just watching in the order they were released. So four more for me. I still have to watch AHX.
That's not a bad idea. I am going to rip off your idea. I'll watch RoboCop again as well.

Cobpyth 04-21-13 01:59 PM

I'm watching The Producers tonight. Looking forward to it!

After that, there are only 5 first watches left:

City Lights
Duck Soup
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Farewell My Concubine
American History X

HitchFan97 04-21-13 02:04 PM

Just saw Eternal Sunshine - 3 down, 9 to go :p

The Rodent 04-21-13 02:09 PM

Farewell My Concubine and The Purple Rose of Cairo still need to see.

City Lights watched today using my brother's WiFi because my internet is poop.
Pretty good... though not sure exactly what all the fuss is about. Just my opinion :)

Guaporense 04-21-13 02:22 PM

I have watched recently 6 of the 12 nominated movies, I have already ranked these six. Here is my take on each one:

American History X: The same director also did the similar Detached in 2011, another excellent movie. American History X biggest flaw, in my mind, is it's simplicity since the second time I watched it it was much less rewarding than the first time. Still a great movie.

Robocop: It had been several years since I first watched Robocop, it still holds quite a punch. Very similar to Starship Troopers in terms of mentality, not being quite serious or quite comic in tone. All around excellent, though the execution is not the best ever, it can be regarded as one of the best science fiction films of the 1980's (which was the golden age of science fiction).

Purple Rose of Cairo: It really has a similar feeling to Annie Hall, Woody Allen's trademark style is very apparent and I have watched only two of his films. Very short and sweet little film I though it was slightly superior to Annie Hall. None of the two, though, were films I could call "certified great".

Nausicaa: By contrasting Nausicaa with these other films it helps me to understand why I loved it so much. Is is becoming apparent to me that Nausicaa is perhaps the best executed film of all time: if you divide the movie into 10, 12 minute segments, and watch each segment separately, each segment could be considered alone a great short film (Miyazaki intended that as he said that a great film must have the quality that each of its parts must reflect the whole). Differently from other movies Nausicaa appears to be in a state of constant climax while other films build up to a climax.

The Producers: Very funny, The Producers is pure fun. Each minute of the movie is pure comic gold, reaching some very high. However, after watching it the whole film felt to be not much more than excellent but forgettable entertainment. It is better than 95% of all other films but falls short if compared to some movies on rest of this list.

Farewell My Concubine: A very interesting crazy film. With Nausicaa they are the only two non-English language films on this list. While being executed decently, it's the historical themes that constitute the most interesting aspects of this film. In terms of execution I would think that it is the least technically proficient on this list but it compensates that with other factors.

donniedarko 04-21-13 02:28 PM

Wow you folks are in a rush, I'm going to use the two and a half months given to me to watch these. Also love your idea of watching them by year Teeter, it'll be easier to keep track of it all. But I might watch Farewell my Concubine first, just in case it gets taken off Netflix instant. The only two other new films I've to see are Purple Rose and Valley of the Wind. And then five rewatches, I think I said that earlier though...

teeter_g 04-21-13 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 898498)
Nausicaa: By contrasting Nausicaa with these other films it helps me to understand why I loved it so much. Is is becoming apparent to me that Nausicaa is perhaps the best executed film of all time: if you divide the movie into 10, 12 minute segments, and watch each segment separately, each segment could be considered alone a great short film (Miyazaki intended that as he said that a great film must have the quality that each of its parts must reflect the whole). Differently from other movies Nausicaa appears to be in a state of constant climax while other films build up to a climax.
I didn't care much for it.

HitchFan97 04-21-13 10:20 PM

Just finished watching The Purple Rose of Cairo, pretty good film and my first Woody Allen (gasp). 1/3 of the way through all the movies now

Godoggo 04-21-13 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 898501)
Wow you folks are in a rush, I'm going to use the two and a half months given to me to watch these.
I probably will too. I did watch Duck Soup, but I needed to watch that anyway for the tournament. Most of these will be re-watches though. I'm saving Psycho and Farewell My Concubine to the very end because of seen both a whole lot of times.

The Gunslinger45 04-21-13 11:59 PM

I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind today, I so regret putting of watching this movie! Next is Farewell My Concubine

The Rodent 04-22-13 10:59 AM

Farewell My Concubine... watched. Very good, quite beautiful to look at but emotionally confusing. Wasn't sure exactly what I should be feeling as I wasn't really expecting what I saw.
Maybe a rewatch is needed, will see if my mate can let me borrow his DVD for a bit longer.

Just got to watch The Purple Rose Of Cairo then I can sort out my votes... may take a day or two...

teeter_g 04-22-13 01:26 PM

I took a slight break so I don't get burnt out. LOL! I'm sure I will start up again soon. But, as we have a couple months, I am not in that big of a hurry. I just made sure to write down all my thoughts on the movies so I wouldn't forget anything. :)

jiraffejustin 04-22-13 02:11 PM

Can all of my long-term members go ahead and send in their nomination for the next round? It will help me with the transition from this round to the next. Thanks, :up:

Guaporense 04-22-13 11:45 PM

Finished watching all the movies! Yeay!

My comments on the last six I watched:

Eyes Wide Shut - Kubrick's film has the best cinematography and the second best score out of the 12 nominated films. It is overall the second most impressive film from the perspective of providing an audiovisual spectacle (first is Nausicaa). It was very disturbing the first time I watched it and I though it would be among my top 2-3 favorite movies of these twelve but the second time I watched it was a bit less impressive.

City Lights - It was an even more powerful emotional experience the second time I watched it. Truly a masterpiece in my book and I perfectly understand why Tarkovsky would put this as one of his top 5 favorite movies.

Duck Soup - This also was a very powerful experience: the jokes sounded funnier after I heard them the second time around. Truly one of the greatest comedies ever made. Perhaps the greatest "pure" comedy ever made (though Dr. Strangelove is perhaps more impressive).

Psycho - The second time I watched this was a considerably less powerful experience since in horror not knowing what will happen is a huge part of the worthiness of a film and in this case the second watch wasn't as remotely as great as the first time.

The Big Lebowski - Another one that got better the second time. I now truly believe this is among the top 10 or top 20 best comedies I ever watched.

Eternal Sunshine - One of the weakest films on the set in my opinion. Still very good but I found it a bit lacking in terms of fitting my tastes. Still I think it was very worth watching. Not my favorite Jim Carrey movie (The Truman Show it is).

Guaporense 04-22-13 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 898570)
I didn't care much for it.
1) People are different, you said you hated Star Wars, which is the Nausicaa of Hollywood. I like the extreme silliness of it. How it takes itself so seriously while being so ludicrous. :) It is sort of my proud guilty pleasure.

2) Did you watch it dubbed?

Harry Lime 04-23-13 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 898909)
...Star Wars, which is the Nausicaa of Hollywood.
How do you come up with this rubbish?

teeter_g 04-23-13 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 898909)
2) Did you watch it dubbed?
No

jiraffejustin 04-24-13 01:13 AM

I was going to watch City Lights first, but a buddy of mine was over and he didn't want to watch a silent. I convinced him to watch Duck Soup with me. He didn't care for it. He thought I was crazy for laughing the whole time.

Guaporense 04-24-13 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 898940)
How do you come up with this rubbish?
If you learn to talk nicely I can respond to you.

The Rodent 04-24-13 07:10 PM

Got my Top 6 ready... am sending it into JJ now.

Guaporense 04-24-13 07:17 PM

I already sent it.

Rodent, I will only say that I included Robocop on it.

The Rodent 04-24-13 07:20 PM

I had Nausicaa on mine too... that's all I'll say though :D

teeter_g 04-24-13 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 899415)
If you learn to talk nicely I can respond to you.
I would like to know how you came up with that though. I kind of see it myself, and that may actually be why I didn't care for it. There are similarities, but I would like to hear your take.

teeter_g 04-24-13 09:42 PM

You guys are on the ball! I stopped after American History X, so I still have 3 to watch. Lebowski, Eyes Wide Shut, and Eternal Sunshine.

The Gunslinger45 04-24-13 09:43 PM

I watched City Lights today, a very good movie! Chaplin does not make me laugh like he did the crowds in the 30's but he is an excellent story teller!

Still need to watch Farewell my Concubine, Nausicaa, and Purple Rose of Cairo

teeter_g 04-26-13 06:55 PM

After all the hubub from the draft is over I will get back to watching the movies. I only have 3 left and then I can send in my votes. I abstained from listing the movies I watched this week because then everyone would know how I was voting for this deal. LOL!

donniedarko 04-27-13 11:57 AM

I watched the epic Farewell my Concubine and while it was beautifully shot, I didn't feel connections to the characters, or the beauty in the opera. The running time wouldn't be to bad, if the scenes themselves were fast moving, but they were unbearably slow, add that on to a 172 minute film, and it makes it hard to sit through.

I decided next I'm watching the films I'm yet to see (2 more) and then do some rewatching.

Cobpyth 04-27-13 01:45 PM

I may watch Duck Soup tonight. I'm looking forward to it, as the first movie I watched from the Marx Brothers, A Night at the Opera was pretty entertaining.

I'll let you guys know what I thought of it! ;)

Wouldn't it also be fun if everyone wrote a few sentences (or more of course) for each movie on the list, so we also get to know why someone loved/hated it?

jiraffejustin 04-27-13 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 900416)
Wouldn't it also be fun if everyone wrote a few sentences (or more of course) for each movie on the list, so we also get to know why someone loved/hated it?
This right here is a good idea. It's not required, but it's smiled upon.

Cobpyth 04-27-13 09:30 PM

I just watched City Lights (somehow I ended up watching this in stead of Duck Soup) and it was absolutely STUNNING!

I will post my review of it soon. It's a big contender to get the first place on my list in this round. I may even rate it
. Wonderful cinema!

SEEN:
City Lights (FIRST WATCH)
Psycho
The Producers (FIRST WATCH)
The Purple Rose of Caïro
RoboCop (FIRST WATCH)
The Big Lebowski
Eyes Wide Shut
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

TO SEE:
Duck Soup
Farewell My Concubine
American History X

Skepsis93 04-28-13 12:14 PM

I've been very busy with work lately so I've only just been able to see my first film for the Hall of Fame.

DUCK SOUP
I generally hate movies that try to shove humor down your throat and this thing epitomizes that sentiment with two of the worst offenders: puns and slapstick. I can't stand them. I couldn't stand the characters. They seem to be trying way, way too hard and it's difficult to watch. This is a cruel movie, a humorless one and most likely my first and last outing with the Marx Bros. Dated, heavy-handed and unfunny.

donniedarko 04-28-13 12:23 PM

Wow, I didn't expect my nomination of Duck Soup to get so much hate. But I've always been a fan of slapstick humor so that's probably why I love it so much. But I found it as smart slapstick, and a great mixture of physical humor and linguistic humor.

The Gunslinger45 04-28-13 12:57 PM

I love Duck Soup! IDK how many times I have watched it, but Grocho Marx is the man!

jiraffejustin 04-28-13 01:42 PM

I love Duck Soup too!

jiraffejustin 04-28-13 09:37 PM

Just watched The Producers. It was a rewatch, but I enjoyed it much more than I did the first time around.

Cobpyth 04-28-13 11:00 PM

Just watched Duck Soup and I enjoyed it! It had some very funny slapstick scenes and some absurdly hilarious lines. There's also at least one amazing musical scene (in the court house).
It's not the best comedy ever made, in my opinion, though. More on that later. ;)

My complete review of this film will be posted tomorrow.

SEEN:
City Lights (FIRST WATCH)
Duck Soup (FIRST WATCH)
Psycho
The Producers (FIRST WATCH)
The Purple Rose of Caïro
RoboCop (FIRST WATCH)
The Big Lebowski
Eyes Wide Shut
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

TO SEE:
Farewell My Concubine
American History X

teeter_g 04-28-13 11:25 PM

Finished up and sent in my list. Can't wait to see the second round picks. Too bad it's so far away. LOL!

The Rodent 04-29-13 04:17 AM

^^ JJ is taking second round votes already, ready for when this round finishes... I sent mine in a couple days ago.

Godoggo 04-29-13 10:36 PM

Just watched City Lights. I am now a Charlie Chaplin fan officially. I didn't like it as much as The Gold Rush, but I kinda fell in love with that movie and I doubt any Chaplin film will top it for me.

I'm in the camp that didn't like Duck Soup. Sorry Donnie.

I'll probably finish up watching what I need to watch by this weekend.