Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Battlebots (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=179)

Rodney 11-24-00 11:07 PM

Has anyone else here watch Battlebots? I like to watch it sometimes. It's a good show and those people have created some great robots.

OG- 11-24-00 11:15 PM

I watch this show all the time. I think it rules. If i had the resources I would build one in a second.

Yoda 11-24-00 11:19 PM

That show is one of the coolest of all time. My dad and brother and I watch it and LOVE it. My stepmother watches it to, she thinks it's funny when we go "whoooaaaaa, it busted in two!", etc.

The commentators are pretty dang funny too - I guess that's how they "get away" with putting it on Comedy Central.

paulgoodman 11-24-00 11:23 PM

Can someone please explain the concept of the show.

Yoda 11-24-00 11:24 PM

It's a show where people make remote-controlled robots with saws and axes and other big dangerous things on them. Then they put them in this arena with all kinds of obstecales - they beat each other up with their weapons, but some are just small fast boxes without weapons - all kinds usually try to push each other into the obstecales.

They have tournaments and such, the judges decide the winner. It's amazingly cool!

Rodney 11-25-00 08:33 PM

Does anyone here have a favorite robot? I usually have trouble remembering all the names so I can't really say right now. Although there was this one robot that spun around really fast, I think its name was Mauler or something like that. Anyways, what is your favorite robot so far?

Yoda 11-25-00 09:56 PM

Yup - Mauler has that blade that spins at its sides - it got messed up by the kill saws in the last match I saw though - still a great bot.

Vlad the Impaler is easily the best. I like Mechadon - it's a giant metal spider - it sucks, but it's cool looking.

Rodney 11-26-00 12:11 AM

Yeah, I also like Vlad the Impaler. What was the name of the one that won the light-weight title? I'm pretty sure that it was Backlash, but I could be wrong. Could someone help me out?

Yoda 11-26-00 12:31 AM

No idea - I don't really remember. Comedy Central had a mini-marathon today with at least 3 episodes in a row - might have been more, but that's what I saw. Great stuff - all re-runs of course, though.

Vlad's the defending heavyweight champ - the last episode of the three showed him winning over Punjar to advance to the finals again! :)

OG- 11-26-00 12:58 PM

I think it was Backlash. That was an awesome robot. My favorite would be Minion probably. It's funny how much I want to build one of these things. I have detailed drawings of all of the one I want to build.

Yoda 11-26-00 02:58 PM

Same here - I'd love to build one, but don't have any of the technical knowledge necessary. I think if I could get someone to help with the techinal side, we could build a majorly cool bot. I can't stand the big slow ones with one big pickaxe on top - don't they even WATCH the show/other bots at all?

OG- 11-26-00 05:49 PM

I know the basic technical knowledge. I use to build little robots out of erector set all the time. And I made a hovercraft out of an egg carton and a hair dryer, but I have no where near the abilitys to make one worth entering. I'm sure I'll start to make a little one with my friends though.

OG- 11-26-00 05:51 PM

Oh and I hate those guys who build the robots who could not possibly win. Did anyone see that one with the wooden block on the end of a pole??

Yoda 11-26-00 06:51 PM

No - I saw the R2-D2 lookin' one though - it had slow legs, not wheels, and it had a 4-foot-long pickaxe - it was totally useless.

OG- 11-26-00 08:11 PM

Yea I saw that episode during the marathon. Man did that thing suck. I don't think it got off one solid hit.

Yoda 11-26-00 08:54 PM

It didn't! The little one had this tiny pickaxe though that was fast as heck - it got in something like 112 total "Pecks" in the end - a total blowout victory.

OG- 11-26-00 09:01 PM

I know. That thing was small, but effective.

Rodney 12-05-00 06:56 PM

It looks like the new season of Battlebots will start on December 12.

OG- 12-05-00 09:45 PM

It's about time!

Rodney 12-27-00 12:01 PM

So, did anyone watch the show last night. All three of the fights were good, but I liked the first one (with Ziggo and Scrap Daddy) the best. I sure like to see robots get torn apart.