Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38690)

AdamUpBxtch 01-30-15 08:42 PM

Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread

Well judging by my avatar and user title you people can pretty much tell i'm a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan. I noticed there is no thread for her and i was kind of surprised so i decided to make one. She is my current favorite actress and probably will be for a long time. As many of you will agree she is a very talented actress and she has a long great career ahead of her. My favorite role of hers is easily the one she won the Oscar for Best Actress which was Tiffany Maxwell in the Silver Linings Playbook, she blew me away in this film and her performance alone made SLP one of my favorite movies of all time and there are only a few selected actors/actresses that have blew me away with their performances (ex: Cumberbatch in Sherlock and Dinklage in Game of Thrones). Hoping to see her take on some more oscar caliber roles and get nominated again. The biggest reason i like her is for of course what she does off the big screen. I always laugh when i watch her interviews and that is rare for me as well when it comes to actors.

So let out all your JLaw love here or just post why you like her or what your favorite movie role of hers is.

TheUsualSuspect 01-31-15 12:34 AM

Re: Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread

Between Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle or possible Winter's Bone. I ultimately went with what gave her the Oscar.

rauldc14 01-31-15 12:54 AM

I've seen six of her films, and enjoyed her in every one. I see no reason why that won't continue in the future.

BrowningIdentity 01-31-15 02:58 AM

Well, the poll's asking me to do the impossible. How can I choose a favorite among her movies? I'm a huge fan as well, and I look forward to her future films! They will no doubt be awesome!

Camo 01-31-15 03:02 AM

1.I-Cloud Hacking Scandal: The Movie
2.Winters Bone
3.American Hustle
4.Silver Linings Playbook

Thursday Next 01-31-15 09:07 AM

The X-Men movies are probably my favourite movies with Jennifer Lawrence in, but my favourite performance of hers is in American Hustle.

Cobpyth 01-31-15 09:13 AM

Favorite film she's in: American Hustle
Favorite performance: Silver Linings Playbook

Zotis 01-31-15 10:06 AM

I picked other because The Poker House, but I honestly have a really hard time deciding between that and Winter's Bone. You could tell how passionate she was about acting when she was younger, but I think fame, money, and career have blindsighted her a bit. She's still a talented actor, but she's also a bit of a whack job. Her facebook page is just full of long winded self pitty rants about how she "has nothing and feels empty inside." She's good at portraying sadness because she's a very depressed person. Also The Burning Plain is a great movie she plays a supporting role in, and there is one scene in that which I honestly think is the single best expression of regret I have ever seen. I like The Hunger Games, but I don't have as much interest in very many of her movies post Winter's Bone.

cricket 01-31-15 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1248865)
Favorite film she's in: American Hustle
Favorite performance: Silver Linings Playbook
Agreed, and I've quickly become a fan of her.

Zotis 01-31-15 09:31 PM

Okay seriously guys, watch The Poker House.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003...r_6_xlarge.png

AdamUpBxtch 01-31-15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1248812)
1.I-Cloud Hacking Scandal: The Movie
2.Winters Bone
3.American Hustle
4.Silver Linings Playbook
:leo: I see what you did there

Gideon58 02-02-15 11:36 AM

I've only seen Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, but I thought both performances were spectacular.

kathepburn 02-02-15 11:50 AM

The only time she truly wowed me was in Winter's Bone. I was not particularly delighted by any of her other performances, but WB was outstanding.

earlsmoviepicks 02-02-15 03:21 PM

She also caught my attention with Winter's Bone. I liked her in American Hustle too. Getting aggravated with Hollywood's attempt to glam her up though.

Fabulous 02-02-15 03:32 PM

I went with SLP, but Hustle was a close second.

Zotis 05-01-20 08:20 AM

-walks into dead ancient thread-

"Behold my necromantic powaaaaa!"

Actually, re-watching The Hunger Games movies has sent me back on another Jennifer Lawrence kick. Man, I just love her. She's such an incredibly talented actress. I don't know how I feel about her in interviews and behind the scenes though. She's a bit odd. I just started watching Passengers, and I'm cringing right off the bad. I'm kinda dreading this movie, and if it's really bad I'm just going to turn it off. I'm not a fan of Chris Pratt, and this movie has tacky Hollywood written all over it. Right off the bat we're told by text what the setting is, and you can see just how lacking in creativity it is already. The question is, will her acting make the movie watchable, or is it going to be so bad that it's unwatchable in spite of her best efforts.

gary griffith 05-01-20 09:09 AM

I actually really love Jennifer Lawrence in interviews and behind the scenes. She's hilarious if a little oddball. I like that she is not afraid to be herself or to come over as goofy.
I have only seen one film of hers though - the Hunger Games 1. She was good but I haven't seen her in enough to form an opinion on her acting. What's your favourite film by her?

Zotis 05-01-20 01:28 PM

I already mentioned it, but my favorite Jennifer Lawrence films are The Poker House and Winter's Bone. Back then she was so young, and so passionate about acting. Nobody knew who she was. She was a nobody. She was just a young girl trying to become an actress and giving it all she's got. Since the Hunger Games I've felt like something is missing.

Iroquois 05-01-20 01:42 PM

I guess it doesn't help that she fell into a bunch of different ruts over the course of her career, whether it's being in franchises like X-Men and Hunger Games (the former of which she was very clearly checked-out of for the most part) or wheel-spinning with David O. Russell (none of those films I cared for, much less her work in them). At that point, you kind of have to respect her going through with much more alienating prospects in recent yearslike mother! or Red Sparrow even if the end results are of questionable quality. Still, I'd give it to Winter's Bone because it predates all that and the film itself is maybe her best, not least because it's not a particularly showy performance like most of her other stuff.

Zotis 05-01-20 01:53 PM

I pretty much agree with everything you said @Iroquois. Have you seen The Poker House by the way?

Zotis 05-01-20 02:14 PM

I love how every interview of hers is titled, "Funny Interview (Rare)." She's a class clown and a bit of ditsy blonde and all of her interviews are the same and there are tons of them...

Derek Vinyard 05-02-20 12:36 AM

Winter’s Bone is my favorite movie with her in it

She’s an alright actress in my opinion and she’s drop dead gorgeous

MovieBuffering 05-02-20 01:04 AM

I think Winter's Bone may be her best performance but my favorite is SLP. I adore that movie.

Side note: If Hayley Bennett and Jennifer Lawrence aren't cast as sisters in a movie soon what has all this been for? It's uncanny.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/f...r-Lawrence.jpg

Zotis 05-02-20 09:56 AM

I just watched Silver Linings Playbook, and I liked it way more than I was expecting.

gandalf26 05-02-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2087658)
I just watched Silver Linings Playbook, and I liked it way more than I was expecting.
Yea I really like it, easily the best Romantic movie of the decade for me, I don't know how I would categorize it exactly.

rauldc14 05-02-20 11:26 AM

It's Hustle vs. Linings Playbook but I still give the edge to Hustle.

Zotis 05-02-20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2087664)
Yea I really like it, easily the best Romantic movie of the decade for me, I don't know how I would categorize it exactly.
Have you seen Blue Is the Warmest Color?

hell_storm2004 05-02-20 03:40 PM

She is a nice actress. But her movie choices are a bit odd. But if I have to pick a movie from her body of work it will be, Joy. Then Winter's Bone. Rest all are a bit drab.

Zotis 05-02-20 07:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETpiA8ych30

gandalf26 05-05-20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2087674)
Have you seen Blue Is the Warmest Color?
Yea I have actually, great movie. Caught it on TV one night quite late when I had to get up for work at 8am. Ended up watching the whole thing till like 330am.

gandalf26 05-05-20 05:53 PM

Anyone else feel like her career slowly grinds down to nothing from here? I feel like she was one of Harvey's girls, and that the last 7-8 years her films have been poor-average ( except X-Men DOFP which she had a smaller role).

rauldc14 05-05-20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2088820)
Anyone else feel like her career slowly grinds down to nothing from here? I feel like she was one of Harvey's girls, and that the last 7-8 years her films have been poor-average ( except X-Men DOFP which she had a smaller role).
Anything is possible. I'm not sure she's all in on an acting career to last super long. That being said I hope so

Captain Steel 05-05-20 09:48 PM

I quite liked the movie Passengers (2016).
And except for a couple X-Men prequel movies, I haven't seen anything else with her in it (that's no reflection on her, just that I don't see a lot of modern movies).

Mesmerized 05-05-20 09:59 PM

I saw Silver Linings Playbook for the first time yesterday and I thought it was a good movie.

Zotis 05-06-20 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2088816)
Yea I have actually, great movie. Caught it on TV one night quite late when I had to get up for work at 8am. Ended up watching the whole thing till like 330am.
I don't understand how you can consider Silver Linings Playbook a better romantic movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color.

Silver Linings Playbook won Jennifer Lawrence an Academy Award for Best Actress, Blue Is the Warmest Color was the first movie to ever win the Palme d'Or for both Best Director and Best Actress. The Palme d'Or is widely considered the most prestigious award in cinema. Blue is the Warmest Color literally made history. It's not even a contest. If you think Silver Linings Playbook is a better movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color, I think you're completely out to lunch.

Iroquois 05-06-20 11:27 AM

Still not as good as Portrait of a Lady on Fire, though.

Zotis 05-06-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2088925)
Still not as good as Portrait of a Lady on Fire, though.
That does look like a good movie, but still doesn't look as good as Blue Is the Warmest Color. For one thing, it looks more dramatic, and less realistic.

Zotis 05-06-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2088858)
I quite liked the movie Passengers (2016).
And except for a couple X-Men prequel movies, I haven't seen anything else with her in it (that's no reflection on her, just that I don't see a lot of modern movies).
Please watch, Winter's Bone. :D

Iroquois 05-06-20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2088946)
That does look like a good movie, but still doesn't look as good as Blue Is the Warmest Color. For one thing, it looks more dramatic, and less realistic.
Duly noted, but I've managed to see it three times in the space of six months while I haven't even bothered to watch Blue is the Warmest Colour a second time in the space of seven years so take that as you will.

Zotis 05-06-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2088956)
Duly noted, but I've managed to see it three times in the space of six months while I haven't even bothered to watch Blue is the Warmest Colour a second time in the space of seven years so take that as you will.
So what? I've seen Star Wars more than 25 times, and I consider the greatest film I've ever seen to be The Passion of Joan of Arc which I've only seen once. Star Wars is barely clinging on to my top 100. There is no correlation to the amount of times we watch things, or how much we personally enjoy things, with how objectively good they are.

Edit: I shouldn't say "no correlation," there is some correlation, but there isn't necessarily a direct correlation.

Stirchley 05-06-20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2088892)
If you think Silver Linings Playbook is a better movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color, I think you're completely out to lunch.
What is all the flapdoodle over Blue? I loved Silver Linings & can’t even recall who is in Blue. If I ever knew.

Wyldesyde19 05-06-20 05:44 PM

I don't understand how you can consider Silver Linings Playbook a better romantic movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color.

Silver Linings Playbook won Jennifer Lawrence an Academy Award for Best Actress, Blue Is the Warmest Color was the first movie to ever win the Palme d'Or for both Best Director and Best Actress. The Palme d'Or is widely considered the most prestigious award in cinema. Blue is the Warmest Color literally made history. It's not even a contest. If you think Silver Linings Playbook is a better movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color, I think you're completely out to lunch.
Not sure why awards must be used as a criteria here.
It is possible to disagree about a film, and maybe enjoy one film over another without having to condemn them. Different tastes and all that.
Blue is the warmest color is a film I’ve been wanting to see for so long now, I’m practically excited for it. I plan on seeing it this week.

Iroquois 05-07-20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2089078)
So what? I've seen Star Wars more than 25 times, and I consider the greatest film I've ever seen to be The Passion of Joan of Arc which I've only seen once. Star Wars is barely clinging on to my top 100. There is no correlation to the amount of times we watch things, or how much we personally enjoy things, with how objectively good they are.

Edit: I shouldn't say "no correlation," there is some correlation, but there isn't necessarily a direct correlation.
Nor is there necessarily a correlation between quality and awards, even the most prestigious ones. After all, Portrait did manage to pick up awards at Cannes as well by winning Best Screenplay and the Queer Palm (interestingly enough, Blue did not win the latter, plus Sciamma is the first woman to ever win the award so she "literally made history" as well). It may not have won the Palme d'Or itself, but it was up against Parasite - I doubt Blue would have beaten that either.

John McClane 05-07-20 04:33 PM

Unpopular opinion: Lawrence is an overrated bore.

Sure, Winter’s Bone was good, but I haven’t been impressed with any of her work since then. I can’t rewatch The Hunger Games because I had enough of her the first time around, and I’m so glad she won’t be playing Mystique anymore.

She’s one of those actresses that hits it big when she’s young, goes on to bring in billions of dollars, but her acting doesn’t improve. Like honestly, she brings the same acting in everything.

She reminds me a lot of Kristen Stewart and Scarlett Johansson.

gandalf26 05-08-20 06:44 AM

Whoa there buddy. I think they're both great I just prefer Silver Linings.....if that's ok with you?

I think Batman Begins is better than the Dark Knight too and TDK won the awards and acclaim.

Stirchley 05-08-20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2089274)
Unpopular opinion: Lawrence is an overrated bore.
I like her. She’s made some bad movies though.

Zotis 05-09-20 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2089154)
Nor is there necessarily a correlation between quality and awards, even the most prestigious ones. After all, Portrait did manage to pick up awards at Cannes as well by winning Best Screenplay and the Queer Palm (interestingly enough, Blue did not win the latter, plus Sciamma is the first woman to ever win the award so she "literally made history" as well). It may not have won the Palme d'Or itself, but it was up against Parasite - I doubt Blue would have beaten that either.
(Edited)

Fair point, and that is interesting food for thought. I'll have to see it for myself to judge, but so far I'm honestly not all that tempted. At least you put it on my radar.

I think there is necessarily a correlation though, not necessarily a direct correlation, but not just any movie can win any award. I'm not trying to split hairs either, I think it's an important distinction.

Although, I do think Blue Is the Warmest Color is a better film than Parasite and could have easily won the Palme d'Or over it. I could also see Parasite winning, but I just wouldn't agree with the judges on that if it did.

Zotis 05-09-20 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2089402)
Whoa there buddy. I think they're both great I just prefer Silver Linings.....if that's ok with you?
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm totally find with people liking whatever they like. I may not consider it good taste, but I'm not going to tell another person what to like. It's when you say a movie is better than another movie as if it's a fact that I may be interested in contesting. I do think Silver Linings Playbook was a good movie, but I'm interested in debunking the notion if you think it's top tier.

gandalf26 05-09-20 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2089660)
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm totally find with people liking whatever they like. I may not consider it good taste, but I'm not going to tell another person what to like. It's when you say a movie is better than another movie as if it's a fact that I may be interested in contesting. I do think Silver Linings Playbook was a good movie, but I'm interested in debunking the notion if you think it's top tier.
There are no facts in situations like this, even if I leave out words like "I think", if I make a statement like "Pepsi is waaaaaay better than Coke", it's all just opinion, even if I say "Pepsi is waaaayyyyyy better than Coke and that's a fact" it's still really all just my own opinion.

think it's top tier
It's sounds very much as if it's you who can't handle those with differing opinions from your own, and the very idea that a Hollywood production might actually be better than an artsy award winning European film in the eyes of some people is something you're struggling with.

Silver Linings is better than Blue.....

Iroquois 05-09-20 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2089659)
(Edited)

Fair point, and that is interesting food for thought. I'll have to see it for myself to judge, but so far I'm honestly not all that tempted. At least you put it on my radar.

I think there is necessarily a correlation though, not necessarily a direct correlation, but not just any movie can win any award. I'm not trying to split hairs either, I think it's an important distinction.

Although, I do think Blue Is the Warmest Color is a better film than Parasite and could have easily won the Palme d'Or over it. I could also see Parasite winning, but I just wouldn't agree with the judges on that if it did.
In the end, all I really ask is that you give it a fair chance. I'm not even going to push the question of whether or not one film is better than the other for the moment.

Zotis 05-09-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2089668)
There are no facts in situations like this.
And yet you make matter-of-fact statements about which movies you think are better or worse.

Even if I leave out words like "I think", if I make a statement like "Pepsi is waaaaaay better than Coke", it's all just opinion, even if I say "Pepsi is waaaayyyyyy better than Coke and that's a fact" it's still really all just my own opinion.
Regardless, "Pepsi is better than Coke," is still a matter-of-fact statement. It implies that the author consider's it a fact, rightly or wrongly. If you don't give any context letting readers know that you're really just talking about your personal preference, then you can't blame the reader for interpreting what you write as it's written. I don't share your world-view, so I'm not beholden to it. I have my own values and beliefs on the subject. But all I said was that I may contest it if you say it as if it's a fact, that has nothing to do with whether it even actually is a fact or not. So I think you completely missed the point I was making because you responded as if I didn't use the words, "as if." But I guess you don't put that much importance on word selection. Most people are like that, so I get it, but it is a bit annoying when a debate devolves out of misinterpretation rather than actual disagreement. I don't think I want to continue talking with you, but I felt these things should at least be addressed. I respond to these on a forum because I feel legitimate arguments should be addressed for everyone reading. The ideas themselves are pitted against each other for everyone to see in spite of the people arguing them.

It's sounds very much as if it's you who can't handle those with differing opinions from your own, and the very idea that a Hollywood production might actually be better than an artsy award winning European film in the eyes of some people is something you're struggling with.
Why do you say this? Are you just trying to insult me now? If you can't be respectful then I'm done talking to you.

Zotis 05-09-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2089684)
In the end, all I really ask is that you give it a fair chance. I'm not even going to push the question of whether or not one film is better than the other for the moment.
Yeah, I'll give it a shot, especially if you insist that it's that good. Don't know when I'll get around to it though. After I'm done watching Westerns I'll probably make it the fourth or fifth movie I watch.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 12:27 PM

Oh the irony. Someone who once took the exact opposite position against me is now acting insulted because his high minded view of a film is being challenged.
It’s almost verbatim.
It’s also very comical.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2089660)
Yet if we question a movie you feel is amazing, you lose your mind. (Slight hyperbole).
See: the time you got defensive over someone not liking There Will Be Blood.
This is just hypocrisy.

Zotis 05-09-20 01:00 PM

I'm not going to take the bait Wyldesyde19. You're making ad hominem's, so please stop.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 01:10 PM

Regardless, they’re fair points. But apparently you’re the only one can make a remark about a person (see: “you’re completely out to lunch” comment which itself was an ad hominem).
When someone challenges your behavior, man do you Hide behind ad hominem as if it’s some shield.
Oh well.

Yoda 05-09-20 01:12 PM

Seems like 90% of this (and similar exchanges) is just "someone stated an opinion in a stark-sounding way and I don't like that opinion so I'm going to pointedly remind them it's just an opinion." I'm not sure how productive or necessary that is, in either direction. There's no reason to try to enhance a subjective opinion by making it sound like a proclamation, and there's not much reason to call that out, either. Unless you just wanna argue.

Zotis 05-09-20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2089726)
I'm not going to take the bait Wyldesyde19. You're making ad hominem's, so please stop.
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2089731)
No I didn’t, with the exception of the hypocrisy line.
Just pointing out your inconsistencies.
According to Merriam-Webster, "Definition of ad hominem. 1 : appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect. 2 : marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made"

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2089706)
Yet if we question a movie you feel is amazing, you lose your mind. (Slight hyperbole).
Here you are focusing on how you feel about the way I respond when someone, "question(s) a movie (I) feel is amazing." A logical argument would have sought to disprove what I actually said in response to said criticism, rather than choosing to focus on an aspect of my personal character. Because if my argument is wrong then there is a legitimate refutation, and if my argument is correct then there isn't. If there isn't a legitimate refutation then you would need to resort to something exterior of my argument, say my character, in order to divert from the actual argument because you can't refute it. So the very fact that you're going after my character instead of my argument suggests my argument is correct, in which case your criticism of my character also fails to have merit.

See: the time you got defensive over someone not liking There Will Be Blood.
This is just hypocrisy.
Another ad hominem which failed to address anything I actually said about There Will Be Blood, and did not address the real reason I was "upset" with the other person I was talking to. For one, the conversation had nothing to do with you and was none of your business, and there was history that you weren't aware of. So you didn't understand the context and thought it looked like I was being defensive, but I wasn't.

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2089705)
Oh the irony. Someone who once took the exact opposite position against me is now acting insulted because his high minded view of a film is being challenged.
Another ad hominem which failed to address any point that I actually made and falsely accuses me of "feeling" insulted. I don't "feel" insulted. I'm not offended by what he said because I don't think it had any merit. But I do think he was literally trying to insult me. Regardless, that's for him to explain if he wants to, and doesn't concern you.

All three of these comments were asserted, unsubstantiated, and blatantly false. These are tactics to evade arguments.

The only reason I'm responding now, after saying I wasn't going to take the bait, is to make an effort to put this to rest. I will try not to prolong an argument about it further, unless I feel something that needs to be addressed is said. But I would like to not continue arguing further. It's steering the thread off topic. I didn't really want to say all of this, but you keep bringing it up and I just wanted to put it to rest. I'm not going to let myself get heated, and I know how Yoda feels when these quarrels happen. I want things to stay civil and peaceful and just go back to focusing on the purpose of the thread, which is about Jennifer Lawrence. Can we please put our personal differences aside?

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 01:38 PM

Yep. I did delete that earlier comment because it was ad hominem, I was being disingenuous. So I deleted it.*
As for the rest?
Look, I’m not going to argue your points because they’re mostly evasions of the truth where you conveniently ignore your past ad hominem remarks in several of the past posts. How convenient.
Anyways, I don’t want Yoda to lecture me (I can feel his angry glare as we type)
So I’ll let this go. Please don’t respond.

Zotis 05-09-20 01:40 PM

Thank you.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 01:41 PM

You’re welcome.

Yoda 05-09-20 01:55 PM

Appreciate that, guys. :up: Sorry if I came off as stern, I meant it to be mostly clarifying/constructive.

I do think the ad hominem stuff is tricky, because it can be ad hom to point out inconsistencies but there's a reasonable version of it, where it's more about testing the applicability and validity of the logic. IE: "this doesn't seem to fit with this, so is it really a good standard?" It's a subtle difference, to be sure.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2089756)
Appreciate that, guys. :up: Sorry if I came off as stern, I meant it to be mostly clarifying/constructive.

I do think the ad hominem stuff is tricky, because it can be ad hom to point out inconsistencies but there's a reasonable version of it, where it's more about testing the applicability and validity of the logic. IE: "this doesn't seem to fit with this, so is it really a good standard?" It's a subtle difference, to be sure.
“You’re completely out to lunch” is ad hominem, as it doesn’t refute any particular point towards an earlier assertion but rather makes an comment towards the persons character.
My posts didn’t have anything to do with the argument of the films merits against each other, and I never made any attempt to, but rather were in response to his posts directly.
I don’t think ad hominem applied here because I was making posts about his behavior, which was the point.

Citizen Rules 05-09-20 02:05 PM

I voted other in the poll, other being Passengers, which is one of the best sci fi films I've seen in a long time. Not because of the science fiction part, but because of the morality question that it posed...very deep.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2089758)
I voted other in the poll, other being Passengers, which is one of the best sci fi films I've seen in a long time. Not because of the science fiction part, but because of the morality question that it posed...very deep.
I liked Passengers, but I felt they could have gone further with the morality and swept it under the rug at the end.

Citizen Rules 05-09-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2089760)
I liked Passengers, but I felt they could have gone further with the morality and swept it under the rug at the end.
Passengers was my nom in the 14th HoF. It came in middle of the pack. What do you mean? swept it under the rug at the end.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2089762)
Passengers was my nom in the 14th HoF. It came in middle of the pack. What do you mean? swept it under the rug at the end.
I felt they never properly addressed it and instead went into “survive the calamity mode” before properly letting it be resolved. There were no real hard hitting questions about the morality of his actions, only a few moments where they discussed it but too briefly.

Citizen Rules 05-09-20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2089764)
I felt they never properly addressed it and instead went into “survive the calamity mode” before properly letting it be resolved. There were no real hard hitting questions about the morality of his actions, only a few moments where they discussed it but too briefly.
Oh OK, I see. I wrote about this in the 14th HoF.
Passengers, I went into this movie with the worst attitude possible. I'd seen this advertised when it first came out and I immediately said to myself, 'no way am I watching Jennifer Lawrence in outer space!'

I'm not a fan of Jennifer Lawrence and the few movies I've previously seen her in I didn't like. But when I watched the trailer and seen this was about two people stranded for life on a huge spaceship, I was intrigued. So I watched it and to my surprise I was impressed with the themes that it explored.

I know a lot of people wanted to see an action packed, thrill-a-minute movie, not me...I don't like those. I like my movies more esoteric and reflective.

Passengers explores the loneliness of a human soul that's cut off from the rest of humanity. And that exploration isn't always pretty, in fact it gets ugly and that to me is interesting.

Jim, the unlucky man who finds himself alone on a huge ship, reminded of Tom Hanks in Castaway. We see him do the things that I image I would do in that situation...He tries to get help and makes a call to Earth. Then he tries to break into the command center and even tries to go back into hibernation. All of his attempts felt logical to me. The 'what would I do if I was there' is an important part of the film.

We see his spirits lift as he breaks into a posh cabin and entertains himself by shooting hoops, shadow dancing, and drinking in the bar. And he drinks, and he drinks. Each time we see him, the time line has advanced and the toll of isolation begins to show on his face.

His beard has grown with food embedded in it, and he looks like recluse billionaire Howard Hughes, as he wonders around the ship naked. Then as he hits rock bottom and complainants suicide, he stumbles upon Aurora, which saves his life...but at what cost to her? And that's when the movie gets really interesting!

When Jim first walks into the bar, it reminded me of a similar scene from The Shining. I loved the way the bar looked too. It was quite peaceful, like a sanctuary with a friendly face, on an otherwise impersonal ship.

I loved the scene were he first mentions Aurora to the bartender who then replies, 'ahh, the sleeping girl'...that was brilliant writing! With that one sentence we know Jim has been fixating on her for a long time. I really like Michael Sheen as an actor, and as the android bartender he played a pivotal role in the story.

So much of the writing is brilliant...the way Aurora reacts to learning she was deliberately woke up by Jim, was impressive acting...and writing. I could really feel her outrage at having been violated, and having her life stolen from her. That and her complete anger and avoidance of Jim, gives even more weight to the moral dilemma of what Jim has done.

My favorite line in the entire movie comes from Gus (Laurence Fishburne) who doesn't have much screen time but makes a memorable impact. When Gus examines the pods and looks at Jim and ask 'if he did this?' And Jim answers, ' yes I woke Aurora up'...what follows gave me goose bumps...Gus looks at him and says, 'D a m n'...just the way he delivers that one word and the look on his face is pure sublime. That moment was an epiphany.

I respect the way the film doesn't shy away from Jim being like an obsessive stalker and yet, we can understand why he did it too. To me that's powerful stuff. No other film has made me ponder the morals of it's story like Passengers has.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 02:41 PM

I really like that review.
I’m glad they didn’t go with the thrill a minute theme, and instead focused on the loneliness you describe, as I feel they were the best aspects of the film.
His obsession and ultimate decision to potentially doom Aurora by waking her was a selfish decision that I really wish they would have addressed more.
The ending, I felt, was also lost opportunity there. *
Imagine if he had died? Then Aurora would be in his shoes and she would be stuck with the critical decision that he had been in. Could you imagine the moral quandary that they could have covered with it?
Still a very good movie with some great visuals and nice acting and Jenn isn’t bad to look at either. 😏

Citizen Rules 05-09-20 02:52 PM

In the 14th Cosmic Runaway wrote a really good alternative ending that I liked too.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1763406)
...In my ending, Jim either dies in the reactor or is not able to be resuscitated after Aurora drags him back in. Aurora is then left alone on the ship, facing the same circumstances as Jim at the start of the film. This would allow her to fully understand the reasons why Jim woke her up in the first place, as she would then be faced with the same conundrum. Whether or not she decides to take the moral high ground would not be revealed.
Cosmic should be a screen writer:) I think that ending would be awesome and powerful.

Wyldesyde19 05-09-20 02:54 PM

Yep! That’s exactly what I was circling around as well.

Citizen Rules 05-09-20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2089771)
Yep! That’s exactly what I was circling around as well.
:up:

Citizen Rules 05-09-20 03:03 PM

I've not seen Jennifer Lawrence in too many other films but most of the ones I watched were mediocre to bad.

I've seen her in:

The Beaver She's not the star, but it's a good film.

The Hunger Games I'm not into watching kids kill other kids for entertainment purposes.

Silver Linings Playbook I found the dialogue and the characters so unbelievable that I shut this off after 20 minutes.

Serena My kind of movie story, but ugh this was stupid. I believe I reviewed it here.

Joy Medicore, I also reviewed this.

Passengers Loved this one.

Zotis 05-09-20 03:26 PM

Here's my review of Passengers. I was pretty harsh on it, but I also tried to be fair.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...55#post2087355

Stirchley 05-11-20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2089774)
Serena My kind of movie story, but ugh this was stupid. I believe I reviewed it here.
Unwatchable.

Joy Medicore, I also reviewed this.
Not bad, but I am not interested in floor mops.

Passengers Loved this one.
Could not finish this.

I think the only movies I’ve seen her in & enjoyed are Hunger Games, Silver Linings & Winter’s Bone. Red Sparrow was also unwatchable. Mother was weird, but I did finish it.

Mesmerized 05-11-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2090252)
I think the only movies I’ve seen her in & enjoyed are Hunger Games, Silver Linings & Winter’s Bone. Red Sparrow was also unwatchable. Mother was weird, but I did finish it.
I also enjoyed The Hunger Games series. I haven't watched Winter's Bone yet; and as much as I wanted to like the movie Red Sparrow, I found it very boring.

hell_storm2004 05-11-20 05:54 PM

Other than Silver Linings Playbook, this is more or less all over the place. And that movie is more of a collective effort than her being anything special.

Not much to appreciate, eh?

I haven't seen Mother!, so I can't say how good her performance in it was.

Her movie choices are bad! I mean really bad. Or maybe she gets overlooked come all the November to December releases. So she takes whatever she gets.

I voted Other, coz Joy wasn't on the list.

Zotis 05-11-20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 (Post 2090370)
Her movie choices are bad! I mean really bad. Or maybe she gets overlooked come all the November to December releases. So she takes whatever she gets.
I agree that her movie choices are not that great. I think it makes sense though when you hear her talk about what she watches.

This was quite telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWdc7PyZNLA

DickLester 06-01-20 04:55 AM

Jennifer was brilliant in Sliver linings playbook!