Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2019 Season (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59029)

Yoda 09-18-19 04:31 PM

Re: MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2019 Season

And then a two run-homer. Wow. Wow.

Outfielder loses a ball in the sun and it's scored a hit, which leads to Scherzer getting charged with three hits he shouldn't have, three runs he shouldn't have, and costs him the Quality Start, too. Insane. Really hope they take another look at that, because that's positively stupid.

mark f 09-18-19 07:21 PM

That's only happened to me about 50 times this year.

Yoda 09-18-19 07:28 PM

The whole sequence? I've lost count of the number of times it's cost me a run or hit, but usually it doesn't snowball like that.

Anyway, particularly galling for it to happen in a big moment, in the stretch run, where you might be able to draw a direct line from the mis-scoring to the outcome of the entire season.

Hometown scoring bias is really lame and, I've learned the last couple of years watching more games, stupidly common.

Powdered Water 09-19-19 02:09 PM

I insist on mediocrity from my pitchers. I do particularly enjoy when I see that a guy didn't get out of the first inning. You see that lovely 67.50 or the dreaded 182.00. Goodtimes.

By the way. Excellent job once again to everyone in this league. In a world where era's are well over 4 league wide our league is crushing it with over half of our teams under 4. Pretty impressive folks!

Yoda 09-19-19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2036687)
I insist on mediocrity from my pitchers. I do particularly enjoy when I see that a guy didn't get out of the first inning. You see that lovely 67.50 or the dreaded 182.00. Goodtimes.
Yeah, or you see INF, and you're like "okay, it might mean they came in and gave up one hit...or it might mean they got slammed for five runs." And you have to go to the box score to check. That's always a harrowing 10 seconds.

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2036687)
By the way. Excellent job once again to everyone in this league. In a world where era's are well over 4 league wide our league is crushing it with over half of our teams under 4. Pretty impressive folks!
Seconded! This is a great league. Seems like it's been a genuine race into mid-September--and often the last day--almost every season.

Sedai 09-19-19 04:09 PM

Lem and I somehow manage to dial in a performance that garners almost the exact same result every season. At least we are consistent!

Yoda 09-20-19 10:01 PM

Still plenty of baseball, but yikes, hitters just forget how to hit. I feel like this is the third straight September this has happened, actually.

Kinda weird because there's really nothing to be done about it, when the guys are good and have good track records. You just hope they hit better. And then when they go 1-for-18 you kinda just have to shrug, I guess.

Powdered Water 09-21-19 02:39 AM

Perfect time for the second best night of the year for my boys who love the roids. I doubt very much I'll hold onto a 12 point lead but man... I am kind of peeing in my pants over here when I see a green 4.5! See, what happened was... Spracky Dave our equipment manager started watching YouTube to learn how to make cheap roids. Boy, was he ever successful. Its amazing what you can learn on the interwebs. Its all very technical but basically he just mixed up a bunch of Chinese roids along with some German roids and some 27 year old budweiser and voila!!! The rest as they say, is history.

Yoda 09-21-19 08:53 AM

Yeah, that was nuts. You got everything you needed yesterday, and then some. When you pickup a last-second bat and he happens to hit a bomb, you know things are clicking.

Still time, but not much left. Gonna need those roid side effects to kick in pretty soon.

Yoda 09-21-19 11:42 AM

BTW I want you all to know my brain always reads "Bo Bichette" like "Boba Fett."

TONGO 09-21-19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2036993)
BTW I want you all to know my brain always reads "Bo Bichette" like "Boba Fett."
lol! Same.

Yoda 09-22-19 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I feel like somebody needs to own this guy for his name alone:

Yoda 09-22-19 07:02 PM

Mike Mikolas is like a Loony Tunes character who's run over the edge of a cliff but hasn't fallen because he hasn't looked down yet.

Vegas had him getting knocked around, and had a run line of 12+. Ended up being half that, and he threw his best game of the year. Because baseball.

Yoda 09-23-19 11:18 AM

Yay, hitters were half-decent yesterday. :laugh: Team average the days before:

Sedai 09-23-19 11:52 AM

My offense, with names like Harper, Altuve, Goldy et. al., has been abysmal for the past week. Not what I need for the final push!

Yoda 09-23-19 12:01 PM

I'm starting to wonder if this is A Thing. Seems to have happened like three of the last four years, with offense in general struggling down the stretch. It's counterintuitive with the September callups, which would seem to benefit hitting, but who knows. Maybe it's more of a stamina thing for a large number of good hitters.

Powdered Water 09-23-19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2037229)
Mike Mikolas is like a Loony Tunes character who's run over the edge of a cliff but hasn't fallen because he hasn't looked down yet.

Vegas had him getting knocked around, and had a run line of 12+. Ended up being half that, and he threw his best game of the year. Because baseball.
Mikolas is a gamer. Sounded like he almost blew up in the first. So, you almost got your wish. ;)

Sedai 09-24-19 10:19 AM

Just look out!

The trophy is within my grasp... I can almost reach it, Dad...

https://review.chicagobooth.edu/site...?itok=8antq39n

Yoda 09-24-19 09:06 PM

Welp, think this is probably it. There were some plausible routes to a comeback, but most of them involved a pretty good night tonight, which isn't materializing so far.

Still kinda can't believe it was this close after those massive injuries. I'll do a statistical postmortem after but it looks pretty significant.

Even so, it looked pretty good there for awhile, but Scherzer and Syndergaard were amazingly bad down the stretch. Of their last combined dozen starts, you could really only call one of them good, which is pretty insane for two guys like that. Freaky to think I'd have been better off dropping both aces and picking up random dudes all September.

Yoda 09-24-19 09:56 PM

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/st...59819375337472

Sedai 09-26-19 10:58 AM

Time for all the wild and crazy end of season scrambling.

Let's get to it!

Powdered Water 09-29-19 01:46 PM

Let's do this thang, baby! I'm tryna get this repeat, yo!

Yoda 09-29-19 01:50 PM

You probably will. I definitely called it a little too early last week, given that we were within 3-4 points Friday evening with a good 8-9 more up in the air.

Honestly, this is probably the best I've ever run a team, given how many things went wrong with absolute stud players, both in terms of performance and injury. But baseball can be a harsh mistress. Still love it, though.

Yoda 09-29-19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2037953)
Time for all the wild and crazy end of season scrambling.
Best part is all the double takes you end up doing looking at the waiver wire.

Powdered Water 09-29-19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2038423)
You probably will. I definitely called it a little too early last week, given that we were within 3-4 points Friday evening with a good 8-9 more up in the air.

Honestly, this is probably the best I've ever run a team, given how many things went wrong with absolute stud players, both in terms of performance and injury. But baseball can be a harsh mistress. Still love it, though.
Yeah man I had a good thing going there and then I went through the craziest week I've seen in my time playing this fine game. Just kinda got the USS Roids leveled off on friday. I really love this game. Maybe Chris can verify this later but I'm sure this is the closest year yet.

Powdered Water 09-29-19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2038424)
Best part is all the double takes you end up doing looking at the waiver wire.
Shoulda seen the double take I did when Ramirez came back early from his injury and hit 2 taters and had 7 rbi's. ;)

Yoda 09-29-19 06:12 PM

Yeah, that was fun. That was one of the reasons it wasn't over as soon as I thought. There's a lot of guesswork with these late season injuries.

Honestly, I'm looking at the numbers now, and it's *still* plausible the outcome could change. Not likely, but a lot of the stuff is correlated (like Mark being able to pass you in two categories with one homer, or you and me being neck-and-neck in OBP). Kinda nuts that there's basically an hour left in the season and there's a not-ridiculous path, still.

I kinda hope it doesn't end up too close, though, because if it does the weirdly high RP innings total yesterday, which narrowly put me over the limit heading into the last day, could end up being what swung it.

Yoda 09-29-19 06:42 PM

Ben Zobrist just struck out Yadier Molina.

The last day of the regular season is super serious, you guys.

rauldc14 09-29-19 07:19 PM

I haven't played attention since I was out of contention but crazy that Jorge Soler hit 48 HRs this year

Yoda 09-29-19 07:24 PM

A bit, but HRs skyrocketed this season pretty much across the board. The balls are definitely different.

Yoda 09-29-19 08:04 PM

And that's the ballgame(s). Congrats to PW. Another photo finish, but I expect nothing less from this league, pretty much every year.

I'll do some statistical postmortem stuff tomorrow. Probably gonna be flinching the whole time thinking of how much went crazily wrong, but that's often the case when it's close. It's a long season and it doesn't take much.

Well played everyone!

Powdered Water 09-29-19 09:54 PM

Wow, that was close. I was watching the gamechannel thing pretty much all weekend. I don't think I've ever had to juggle my lineup before as much as I did this week. Crazy stuff.

My MVP without a doubt is Jonathan Villar. He was having a decent season but then the light came on and he turned into Jose Ramirez II. And at a time when the real Jose had seemingly been lost for the year. If I had 5 or 6 Villars every year I think this thing be a lot easier. I almost had three tho for most the year and it mostlly worked out. First 40-20 in a minute, apparently. What a season.
You guys do not make this easy. You all better believe that I am coming hard for the 3peat!!!

TONGO 09-29-19 11:56 PM

CONGRATULATIONS PW!

Even with Christian Yelich I was below average. I think I may need LEM to help me out next year ;) My pitching did a nosedive after the first 6 weeks but many a bad decision was made by me besides. I know I'm a broken record when I say this but I really got to flip the script on how I run my team, I really do think I'm better than this. As always though it was a lot of fun :)

Powdered Water 09-30-19 01:06 AM

Thanks Tongs. I'm not sure you make bad decisions. I am often surprised at how quickly you'll pull the plug on guys that will probably help you tho. You've signed several guys that i've lliked and I'm always pretty sure I'll get another shot at him in a few days. I guess that's the real rub of this thing. How long do you hold onto someone who isn't helping you? And how long do you let a new guy go so you can decide if he's good?

TONGO 09-30-19 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2038504)
Thanks Tongs. I'm not sure you make bad decisions. I am often surprised at how quickly you'll pull the plug on guys that will probably help you tho. You've signed several guys that i've lliked and I'm always pretty sure I'll get another shot at him in a few days. I guess that's the real rub of this thing. How long do you hold onto someone who isn't helping you? And how long do you let a new guy go so you can decide if he's good?
I'm just too impatient, and impulsive. If they're not producing in the top 100 over a 14 day period I chuck them. Also I like to tinker too much. I keep up to date on new players but baseball is so deep with talent I have a hard time just "waiting and see". I dont think I traded too much this year but my move count was still outlandish. With digence hopefully there will be better days/seasons to come, and I'll regain my nerve to do league writeups again. ;)

mikeython1 09-30-19 08:20 AM

Congratulations PW. You were in the drivers seat pretty much the whole season. You earned it. Nice surge at the the end that put Mark in 3rd. Its almost a for gone conclusion that Chris will take 1st or 2nd. Congratulations and Thanks to everyone on a nice season and I look forward to next year.

Hey Fredrick 09-30-19 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2038519)
I'm just too impatient, and impulsive. If they're not producing in the top 100 over a 14 day period I chuck them. Also I like to tinker too much. I keep up to date on new players but baseball is so deep with talent I have a hard time just "waiting and see".
And I was the opposite. I'd be hanging on to players for way too long thinking as soon as I drop them they will go off. That's why I was also so gun shy on trades.

Congratulations PW on the win!

It's been about ten years since I last tried FB and it was fun (at least it was fun until I dropped about 12 pts in a week). I wish my team would have more competitive but I blame that 100% on the front office and not the manager.

Sedai 09-30-19 09:39 AM

Well crap. My team had a bit of a meltdown in the final days, with all my pitching getting shelled, and my hitters staying quiet, which was exactly the opposite of what I needed to happen. C'est la vie!

Congrats PW!

Yoda 09-30-19 10:25 AM

Well, what a year. I wasn't kidding when I said I think this is the best I've run a team. I lost a Cy Young breakout candidate basically all year, the best power hitter in baseball basically all year, the best pitcher in baseball for half a year (worse, because he came back for a couple months and wasn't himself), and traded for an elite pitcher who had the worst year of his career, and somehow was still one good day away from pulling it out. I basically got half a team of stars off of great mid-round picks and waiver gems, but the attrition was too much in the end.

How close was it? Six homers, 3 RBIs, and one point of OBP would've been enough to win the championship (less if we get other teams involved, since Mark was one blast away from swinging two more). I feel, uh, moderately confident Giancarlo Stanton could've provided that, even if he'd only missed, I dunno...two-thirds of the season? So it goes.

Man am I gonna miss baseball.

Yoda 09-30-19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2038483)
My MVP without a doubt is Jonathan Villar.
Yep, for sure. Garver kinda went nuts, too, at a position where that's rare. But Villar's the single-biggest reason. I drafted him in my other league, a money league, and managed to win it (the other dude was in first for 5+ months of the season!), and he's definitely one of the reasons why.

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2038483)
You guys do not make this easy. You all better believe that I am coming hard for the 3peat!!!
Oh hell no. I cannot allow it. Last time I finished twice a few times in a row I won the next two. I'm bringing it next year, and you're going to run out of voodoo dolls eventually.

Powdered Water 09-30-19 02:38 PM

Am not into voodoo dolls... I'm very sorry baby it doesn't look like me at al.

It did feel like some of you caught on to some of my moves this season. We shall see if that translates to another really tight race next year. I'm pretty sure it will. I love hunting these numbers, gonna take more tthan voodoo dolls and universe juice to stop this train.

Yoda 09-30-19 02:42 PM

If it's the thing I'm thinking of, it's been a thing Tim and I started doing like four years ago, but you might be thinking of something else. Not sure.

I don't think there's too many ways to game the system, thankfully, but there are a few marginally helpful things that only a handful of owners are doing. Lots of people, however, seem to do the "just pick up whoever had a great game the night before" thing.

Powdered Water 09-30-19 04:09 PM

Yeah, I'm not really talking about any methods in particular. And now that I've won this twice I can freely admit that I have tried almost maliciously, to take the best of what both you and Tim do every year. You guys really have this thing figured. I had to change my approach just to get competitive with you guys. So I mean this...thank you. To all of you. This is a really cool mental exercise and I hope we're all here next year.

Yoda 10-01-19 12:08 PM

Yeah, there's definitely some stuff I've learned the hard way over the years. Tim's a super smart dude and we sorta bond over spreadsheets and analysis on all that. You should've heard us talking about our softball team (originally run by him, then handed off to me when he moved away), and trying to figure out which things our coed league was undervaluing. :laugh: It's a lot of fun.

Thanks to you too, dude, I love the competition. I miss it so much when it's over, too. Really nothing like the marathon that is the baseball fantasy season.

Sedai 10-01-19 12:25 PM

Not sure I am able to parse all the little tricks you guys are referring to, which is perhaps why I tend to end up in 4th or 5th all the time. I try not to chase "hot bats the night before" too much, instead tending to trust proven talent whenever I can acquire it. I don't spend a lot of time pouring over stats or spreadsheets though, and perhaps that the problem.

Yoda 10-01-19 12:30 PM

I used to do spreadsheets but I find it's not really necessary any more, except for broad strategic stuff at a few key points in the year.

Powdered Water 10-01-19 01:05 PM

I didn't use spreadsheets early on but since yahoo switched to their own spreadsheet stat tracker I have spent an enormous amount time studying that. It is incredibly helpful.

Crap. Is there a trophy this year? I forgot to tell you that I moved.

Yoda 10-01-19 01:31 PM

There can be, PM me if you get a chance. I'll spring for it.

Powdered Water 10-01-19 01:51 PM

No worries, I just wanted to make sure you hadn't sent it out already. Coolio.

Sedai 10-01-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2038779)
I didn't use spreadsheets early on but since yahoo switched to their own spreadsheet stat tracker I have spent an enormous amount time studying that. It is incredibly helpful.

Crap. Is there a trophy this year? I forgot to tell you that I moved.
I do crack that sheet open a fair amount, so I guess I do look at sheets. That said, i think I put too much faith in big names this season, and ended up dialing up a pretty mediocre performance in the end.

TONGO 10-02-19 12:07 AM

Yahoo spreadsheets?! IM BUYING IT! Oh, and one more thing........

GO
RAYS!

ScarletLion 10-10-19 06:56 AM

Yoda 10-10-19 10:12 AM

:suspicious:

ScarletLion 10-10-19 10:13 AM

[sorry]

Yoda 10-10-19 10:56 AM

Heh.

Just feel bad for the guy. Best pitcher of his generation, one of the all-time greats. And I'm not sure if he's actually bad or if it's just bad luck in a small sample. There's so many reputations that turn on narratives pulled from what's mostly statistical noise, though there's no way to know for sure if this is one of them. That tends to be my default assumption, though, since anyone who'd let The Pressure get to them generally isn't making the majors in the first place.

This game is a particularly good example of all this, because he was brought in with the bases loaded the previous inning and got a huge strikeout.

Yoda 10-10-19 11:13 AM

So, this is getting dumb:
https://twitter.com/No_Little_Plans/...86423833096192

TONGO 10-10-19 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2040421)
It has nothing to do with the air of course, unless it's in Colorado, it has everything to do with how much harder they are trying which believe it or not is counterproductive.

I remember all the way back in Manatee County Little League when our counties League was playing we played on a softball field and the fence was just like any fence would be in any amateur softball league. The same distance as a Major League Baseball Field. When our county would go to the championship series and we play against other counties we would go to a superior ballpark in Sarasota, a proper Little League baseball field with a Outfield fence which is much much shallower, farther in.

We were chomping at the bit to start hitting home runs left and right because we knew we hit balls over a fence that distance just getting doubles at the time. You know what was funny, it didn't happen. Because everybody was trying to crank the ball over the fence it just happened less. I remember back when Evan Longoria was in his prime he would say in a crunch situation the hardest thing he must try and do is not try so hard. And that way baseball is like golf, very mental. Pure effort does not win championships, being in the zone does.

Yoda 10-10-19 11:28 AM

The chart there is about wind resistance on the ball itself. They seem to have flattened the seams on the outside, leading to the insane home run surge we've seen. MLB's been cagey commenting on this. The biggest bit of evidence other than the uptick in homers is that spin rates are different on pitches, too, which is also what you'd expect based on lessened resistance.

Some fences are shorter, to be sure, but the increase is happening year-over-year even in parks that haven't changed.

rauldc14 10-10-19 11:33 AM

Nats or Cards. Really NL that's the best you could do?

TONGO 10-10-19 11:28 PM

Ray's lose 6-1, damn. Well at least we came back from being down 2 games against the team most likely to win it all.

Yoda 10-20-19 12:02 PM

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status...76922325913600

Hey Fredrick 10-22-19 12:07 PM

Can't wait for this series. Verlander, Greinke, Cole, Strasburg, Sherzer.... should be a great series if you like tight, low scoring pitchers duels. Now, having said that, it'll probably be a homer fest.

Yoda 10-22-19 12:10 PM

Yeah, who knows, they seem to mess with the baseballs to get the kinds of games they want. Starting to feel really lame.

Astros massive favorites, understandably so. Pitching looks great but Houston's offense seems more likely to overcome their end of it (and their staff is deeper). At least none of the teams I hate are gonna win this year. :up: Still sad we didn't get Oakland, Tampa, or Minnesota in there, though.

rauldc14 10-22-19 05:08 PM

What teams do you hate Yoda?

mark f 10-22-19 05:27 PM

Besides the Pirates? He hates the Dodgers.

Yoda 10-22-19 06:14 PM

What makes you think I hate the Dodgers? To the contrary, they're the next team after the ones I mentioned that I wanted to win, but that was specifically because I want Kershaw to get a ring. You're right about me kinda hating the Pirates, however.

I hate the Cubs, Cardinals, and Brewers. And I promise I have good reasons for all three beyond them just being in the Pirates' division. ;)

I guess I usually don't want to see the Yankees win again, but I'll admit their current incarnation is a lot more likable. I don't really hate them any more.

rauldc14 10-22-19 06:19 PM

I'd be curious why you hate the Brewers? I see no reason to hate them because we'll, they aren't that great a franchise to begin with. I'm from Wisconsin but I could care less about them. And honestly, the "fans" are super obnoxious actually.

Yoda 10-22-19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2043247)
I'd be curious why you hate the Brewers? I see no reason to hate them because we'll, they aren't that great a franchise to begin with. I'm from Wisconsin but I could care less about them. And honestly, the "fans" are super obnoxious actually.
Mostly because of Ryan Braun using PEDs, lying about it, accusing a random lab technician of anti-semitism to try to cover for it, and then somehow still putting out a non-apology apology after all that.

Yoda 10-22-19 06:31 PM

If Braun left the team I'd immediately become pretty indifferent to them.

rauldc14 10-23-19 12:08 PM

As far as Sports teams as a whole go, I hate the Patriots most, with the Vikings next in line. I'm not sure I truly hate a baseball team, although I'm starting to dislike the Nationals and I really don't know why. Basketball, you can call me a Lakers hater and why not throw in the Cavs.

rauldc14 10-23-19 12:09 PM

Also, Alabama has become pretty hated. It just feels like they are a college football Monopoly. Could throw Clemson and possibly Ohio State into the mix too.

That's why I prefer College Bball. Any team can win on any given day.

TONGO 10-31-19 09:32 AM

Congratulations to the Washington Nationals for 4 things

1. Being a wild card team to win the world series

2. Beating the most powerful team in the National and American league. Houston should not have pulled Greinke last night, and having to have played more games to get to the world series compared to Washington, their bullpen was tired.

3. Winning 4 road games in the world series. A feat never having been done before.

And 4. They did it without Bryce Harper. Good for them, and who knows, maybe psychologically they came alive and found their own identity which might not have ever happened if he stayed.

This, is why they say, they play the games.* Great baseball season for juiced balls, overloaded squads, the Astros and Yankees looked like Fantasy Baseball teams, and speaking of which, a great Fantasy Baseball season too. Congrats again to PW who is a fantasy league founding father that never won a championship* and nows won two back to back. Mark you're next, and then its Seds turn.

* if Tampa had Blake Snell we would've won game 5 against Houston, just saying :)

ScarletLion 10-31-19 10:20 AM

What a great world series. Nats against the odds showed what determination is. They won just 16 of their first 47 regular season games. Were nearly eliminated twice in the play offs. were down 3-2 in games at one stage of the WS. were down 0-2 in runs. Great to see.

TONGO 11-01-19 11:00 AM

So I'm guessing the 2020 MLB FBB draft 1st 3 picks are gonna be in this order - Trout, Bellinger, and Yelich, only cause Yelich is injury prone. Though he did still finish 1 overall with time lost.

Yoda 11-01-19 11:09 AM

Yeah, reasonable guess. If it's not that it won't be too far from that, I don't think. Unless the Yelich recovery stuff is less than perfect news, I guess.