Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Good fantasy movies (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=57451)

pahaK 07-26-18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1927080)
I quite enjoyed the new one notwithstanding – Rachel Nichols certainly helped :). And a lot more than I did the remake of Clash of the Titans.
Wow, someone really liked that? I really hate how Paradox handles the Howard rights they own. Both Conan and Solomon Kane were just random bad fantasy scripts with some familiar names attached - they had absolutely nothing to do with Howard's works (not that older Conan was too faithful either but at least it had some scenes from different stories).

Gideon58 07-26-18 03:19 PM

A movie that very rarely gets mentioned in discussions of this genre but definitely belongs is 1998's Pleasantville.

tgm1024 01-06-20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1927011)
I insist on puppetry.
See Glove and Boots on youtube, if you haven't yet.

For instance (I can't post links), so google "glove and boots Shakespeare" (without quotes).

Phenomenal talents, these guys.

Rocky67 01-11-20 04:40 AM

Harry potter :):)

Taz 01-12-20 02:29 AM

Re: Good fantasy movies

The 80's were the golden age of this type. A few of these no doubt have been mentioned in this thread but here are a few off the top of my head from the 80's...

Red Sonja
LadyHawke
Krull
Legend
Conan the Barbarian
Neverending Story
Princess Bride
Labrynth
Dark Crystal (Netflix has now got a series to expand on this also)
Time Bandits
Excalibur
Erik the Viking
Sword and the Sorcerer
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Willow
The Secret of NIMH
Sword of the Valient
Black Cauldron
Masters of the Universe

Wyldesyde19 01-12-20 02:54 AM

Avoid Masters if the universe.

Unpopular opinion: I didn’t enjoy The Never Ending Story and Legend is incredibly overrated. The latter sparked an intense debate with my ex who swore by that film. She couldn’t believe I didn’t like it. 🤷

ynwtf 01-12-20 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2057963)
Avoid Masters if the universe.

Unpopular opinion: I didn’t enjoy The Never Ending Story and Legend is incredibly overrated. The latter sparked an intense debate with my ex who swore by that film. She couldn’t believe I didn’t like it. 🤷

I feel as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced ...as my horse, my lifelong companion and best friend just drowned in a lonely swamp of sadness ...while the last unicorn in all the world was captured, forced to watch, and was then beheaded for his horn by a goblin giving very strange and confusing feelings to a young boy of the late 80s through adulthood until just now understanding why, learning Blix was actually played by the female actress, Alice Playten, during a Google search to confirm a spelling.

YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!
*punts Baxter*

Theophile 01-12-20 05:00 AM

Start with Terry Gilliam's fantasy:

Time Bandits (1981)
Brazil (1985)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
and
The Imginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

Then, I would go to this list:

Wizards (1977)
The Fall (2006)
Highlander (1986)
The Pirates of The Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
and
The Mummy (1999)

avi85022 01-13-20 01:17 AM

Riddick

Time Bandits (1981)
Brazil (1985)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
and
The Imginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

Kartofler 01-13-20 10:11 AM

Harry Potter of course, but you've probably already seen them. Pan's Labyrinth is fantastic.

MovieGal 06-04-20 10:07 PM

No one mentioned Gaiman's "Mirrormask".. or "Coraline"

My daughter liked "Gormenghast" when she was younger. Its a mini-series but fits the allotted time for a long movie.

Thunderbolt 06-05-20 01:41 AM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...jq416&usqp=CAU
Red Sonja (1985)
As there have been a few mentions of Conan we can't forget this. So bad it's good.