Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Paranormal Activity (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=21005)

thedeparted 10-21-09 12:43 AM

Paranormal Activity

I'm too tired to type out my full review of this movie right now... I literally just got back from going to see this and it is almost midnight. I'll type out my full review tomorrow, but for now, I'll sum it up...awful....more tomorrow.

TheUsualSuspect 10-21-09 01:04 AM

Re: Paranormal Activity

Wow.

I was just about to leave to go see this movie. Your words have definitely changed my mind. Thanks so much for your insight and giving your time to write up the review.

I can't wait to hear more about it tomorrow.

Again, thank you so much.

jrs 10-21-09 04:57 AM

I believe TUS was bein sarcastic. (I hope). Nobody in their right mind would automatically change their mind and not go to see a movie, because one person said they didn't like it. That's kinda assinine. :laugh:

Sedai 10-21-09 12:25 PM

So...the dude gets home at midnight, is too tired to write a full review right then, and he gets bad rep for it?

Cute... :indifferent:

Yoda 10-21-09 12:36 PM

Yeah, dunno what's up with the negative rep. That said, dunno why he would start the thread in advance of having an actual review, either. :confused:

meatwadsprite 10-21-09 12:37 PM

He convinced me not to see it.

TheUsualSuspect 10-21-09 01:26 PM

I didn't neg rep him, but I will if I don't see a review today. ;)

spudracer 10-21-09 01:29 PM

His words...they moved me.

thedeparted 10-21-09 03:31 PM

Hey guys, the only reason I didn't type out the full review last night was because I was tired, but I was so angry that I couldn't help but vent (don't be so hard on me, we've all seen awful movies and were annoyed haven't we?)

Here is my review (copy and pasted from my website):

Alright, so I just went and saw Paranormal Activity last night. Before I go any further and tell you what I thought, I just want to make something clear first.

I think Hollywood has taken horror movies in the wrong direction in terms of how they go about scaring you nowadays. Scary movies now (for the most part...there are of course some exceptions to what I'm about to say) are all about gore, things "popping up and out" of nowhere and "twists".

The gore (you know, some guys abdomen exploding or something) is really more gross than anything. Somehow, Hollywood is mistaking an audiences wincing at arterial blood spray because it is just plain gross, as wincing because it is scary...it isn't scary, we just don't want to puke.

The "things popping up and out" Again, you know this tactic... Girl takes shower, girl gets out of shower, girl looks in mirror (nothing there), girl opens medicine cabinet mirror, girl closes medicine cabinet mirror...SCARY MONSTER IN MIRROR (insert loud obnoxious sound here). Now, during a horror movie, everybody enjoys a good "jump out of their seat moment". The thing is, when that tactic is used as the sole source of "scariness" it just doesn't make the movie scary, it just makes you spill your soda.
Lastly, the "twists", not really a scare tactic so much I guess, but it could be depending on how it is used.

Why did I bother writing all that? Because I thought that Paranormal Activity was going to take me back to the good ole'days of scary movies...where you actually feel scared...where you actually feel uncomfortable...where you're afraid to go home and turn the lights off...

So, did Paranormal Activity accomplish making me feel scared, uncomfortable and paranoid? No...not even close... What it DID accomplish was making me feel as though I would at some point in the future feel scared, uncomfortable and paranoid...but that point never came. It always seems as though that moment is just around the corner, you know, the moment where you are ACTUALLY scared. Since it never happens, throughout the whole movie, you find that the only reason you're even still watching it is because you're afraid that if you leave you'll miss the moment that makes the movie good. Otherwise, you'd either fall asleep or just leave.

Now, there were some "creepy" moments, but they were the kind of creepy moments that should have been built upon and used to truly scare you. The thing is, the whole movie ended up being comprised of "creepy" moments that weren't take full advantage of...in fact, they weren't taken advantage of at all. There was no leveraging of those creepy moments into full blown terror. They just fell flat.

The movie was 1/4 "creepy" moments, 1/4 "am I about to actually be scared?" moments (and you aren't) and 1/2 dialogue (slow boring dialogue...not even dialogue that drives those creepy moments into your psyche for you to develop into "your own terror" so to speak)

For me, this movie was a repeat of The Blair Witch project (which I didn't like and was not scared by). When I went to see The Blair Witch, it was with the sincere feeling that I would be scared while in the theater and upon leaving...however, upon leaving the only feeling I had was on how I could get back my wasted money.

I was left with the same feeling after seeing Paranormal Activity. The thing is, when you go and see a movie that isn't really hyped up and it turns out to be a terrible movie, you don't feel like you've had something stolen from you. You just chalk it up as another crappy movie.

However, when I go and see a movie like Paranormal Activity where the marketing makes it look as though I'm in for the best scary movie I've EVER seen and I'm left with NOTHING (and with this movie, you really are left with nothing), I feel like somebody has punched me square in the face and took my money from me.

And yes, I feel like somebody has punched me in the face and stolen my money...this movie is NOT worth paying to see...wait until it comes out on television and you have the option to change the channel...which you will.

TheUsualSuspect 10-21-09 06:14 PM

I liked your first review better.

jrs 10-21-09 08:07 PM

I'm watching this tomorrow..let you all know what I think of it after I see it.

TheUsualSuspect 10-21-09 09:08 PM

I'm doing a double feature SAW IV and Paranormal Activity.

honeykid 10-22-09 07:43 AM

Did you see the trailer? If you saw the trailer and were still disapointed, then I think you've only got yourself to blame.

jrs 10-22-09 08:23 PM

I have the DVD screener, gonna watch it sometime this evening. It has a different ending than the theatrical version. So I'm kinda curious which one is better.

thedeparted 10-22-09 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 576477)
I have the DVD screener, gonna watch it sometime this evening. It has a different ending than the theatrical version. So I'm kinda curious which one is better.
I checked to see if this movies DVD screener really was leaked onto the net after reading your post, and sure enough...it has.

I can't tell you how angry I am...I wasted money when I could have easily just downloaded it and watched it at home...AHHH.

Oh well I guess.

spudracer 10-23-09 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 576477)
I have the DVD screener...
Any person who types in "Paranormal Activity DVD Screener" on Google can have that same copy. Why not just call it what it is?

jrs 10-23-09 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by spudracer (Post 576591)
Why not just call it what it is?
uhhhhh, that is what it is. It's a DVD screener of Paranormal Actvity. The film's been out since 2007 and the screener has just been released.

Sedai 10-23-09 03:15 PM

This film has actually been around for a couple of years, so a screener floating around in 2009 seems pretty common. IMDB has a date of 2007 for the film.

thedeparted 10-24-09 09:32 PM

So, anybody else here see this yet and have an opinion?

mark f 10-24-09 09:52 PM

It wasn't released commercially until last month. Before that, it only played two specialized film festivals. No, I haven't seen it, but B-card gave it
in the Movie Tab two days ago.

Sexy Celebrity 10-24-09 10:00 PM

I haven't seen it. I have had a feeling that I wouldn't like it, but my friend who also loves horror films really liked it, and I usually agree with him on everything.

I would recommend not missing out on Saw VI, though, because that did scare me in terms of worrying about how I'm gonna die one day. I don't wanna die in a Saw trap.

TheUsualSuspect 10-25-09 12:38 AM

Just got back from both films.

My girlfriend hates scary movies, so she was grossed out by SAW and terrified of Paranormal.

Sedai 10-26-09 12:14 PM

Saw it Friday - I liked it.

Certainly not amazing in any way, but not a bad film, either...

I will say that I found Peli's mundane, static shots of the bedroom more chilling than any section of jump-cut, rapid fire footage from any of the Saw films...

Equilibrium 10-27-09 04:47 AM

I saw this and I found it to be very creepy. Watch this movie in the theaters and then go home and try to fall asleep next to your spouse or whomever...trust me you'll wonder if

*SEMI SPOILER*

they're going to wake up at night and stare at you for a couple of hours.

*END SPOILER*

That being said, the people who went into this movie thinking they were watching real footage are in for one hell of a scare.

cloer 10-27-09 10:06 PM

To the person who wrote the review, you must be really Jaded by horror movies if you were not scared by the movie, and you dint like it to the point you wanted your money back.

I dont like horror movies, mainly because of what you said about scary movies today beeing mostly gore and popping out, but beeing that its october i decided to give it a Go and i can say i was not disappointed, maybe it isn't the best horror movie ever, but i can onestly say it had me scared at various parts, i understant what you say about the movie being 1/4 tension and that the movie gives you "brakes" in between scares but as the movie progresses they become shorter and far between, and towards the end you can see the desperation in the couple knowing that even daylight cant protect them and you cant feel safe (little bit of Freddy Kruger where they cant go to sleep) and its definitely wort seeing, specialy considering the crap that passes as horror these days, i give it a thumbs up.

I cant help and feel that maybe you were over hyped for this movie and that's why you are disappointed , but to each his won.

WARNING: "Favorite parts" spoilers below
when the girl gets dragged was terrifying i felt i was beeing dragged with her

When the psychic tells them that he cant be in the house, and that hes making things worse by beeing there and leaves really gives you a sense of desperation that no one can help you

plus i live near san diego(were the film takes place) so the streets are really familiar so that gives it a extra creepy edge

I can't tell you how angry I am...I wasted money when I could have easily just downloaded it and watched it at home...AHHH.
you are missing out on great sound effects witch are part of the movie, id say sound is like 30% of the movie.

Slug 10-27-09 11:08 PM

Paranormal sounds like a good movie.
I may go see it.

rainman 10-30-09 12:21 PM

It is an Ok movie, not bad but not that good also. And yap there is some creepy part but it's not enough to scare the hell out of you.

iamjacksmovies 10-30-09 02:38 PM

Maybe it was because I knew that this wasn't real footage, but I though that this was a horrible movie. When I went, the only people who were scared were the teenage girls. For me, it just wasn't even close to a movie like John Carpenter's version of The Thing or The Exorcism of Emily Rose. I just expected a lot more and didn't see any build up of tension. Just a boring, horrible excuse for a horror movie in my opinion.

Sedai 10-30-09 03:17 PM

The film was pure build-up, and I don't think anyone else has disputed that. The film is an exercise in psychological conditioning, meant to build dread, and it does so in spades. Meanwhile, you talk about these alleged "scary" movies, but are ANY films genuinely scary? They aren't to me, and never have been. Yes, even when I saw The Thing in theaters in 1982, it was certainly unsettling, but it wasn't scary, per se.

By the by, the footage in The Thing isn't real, either, so how does that fact have anything to do with these films being either scary or good?

iamjacksmovies 10-30-09 03:54 PM

I don't know, I was just hoping for a good payoff at the end, and I didn't think there was. One of my friends did tell me they saw the original ending on youtube before it was taken down though and said that it was much better. For some reason, I just don't enjoy the documentary style of horror movies in general, so maybe that's why I couldn't get into it. I thought that the blair witch was lame too when I saw it in the theater, but I enjoyed it more when I watched it at home, so maybe I will feel the same way about this movie later by myself with the lights turned off.

rainman 10-31-09 09:36 AM

hey guys are there a thread in scariest movies?

Sedai 10-31-09 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by iamjacksmovies (Post 578688)
I don't know, I was just hoping for a good payoff at the end, and I didn't think there was. One of my friends did tell me they saw the original ending on youtube before it was taken down though and said that it was much better. For some reason, I just don't enjoy the documentary style of horror movies in general, so maybe that's why I couldn't get into it. I thought that the blair witch was lame too when I saw it in the theater, but I enjoyed it more when I watched it at home, so maybe I will feel the same way about this movie later by myself with the lights turned off.

Ok, now this makes more sense. Although it didn't bother me, I can see people being disappointed about the final few minutes. Personally, I liked the end, but I can understand why some folks would be put off by it. The film did build dread very well, so I don't think that can be faulted (the build-up).

movie addict 11-05-09 04:55 PM

until now, i haven't seen the movie because im easily scared and still looking for someone to watch it with me :p

mr.brightside 11-18-09 10:29 PM

This movie is so sick. Great actors and very effective film. Looks like its f@$(*%$*n real.. I just watch it last 2 days ago. Damn so creepy when
WARNING: "Paranormal Activity" spoilers below
the board lit up and when the girl was dragged out of bed.. Also the standing part.. When she sleep standing for almost to tiring hours...

andyB 11-20-09 08:29 AM

ohmygos: CAN I please just say this: paranormal activity is the most over-hyped, totally UN-scary film ever. i've seen it and its all the typical tricks in the bag:
- door opening by itself
-invisible footprints
-shaking chandelier
-telly on by itself..?

seriously now. if that's scary then i dont know what else is.

vato 12-02-09 08:38 AM

i read somewhere that the budget for the film was 15,000$! - ********...

mojofilter 01-17-10 05:35 PM

I didn't like this movie that much! It dragged on, and it's filled with every single cliche in the book.

Brundle Fly 01-17-10 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mojofilter (Post 595610)
I didn't like this movie that much! It dragged on, and it's filled with every single cliche in the book.

My thoughts exactly...oh but I'd give it a 1/5.

WARNING: "Could be counted as" spoilers below
One thing I found really funny is how the camera sped up just before something happened. Where's the build up? Where's the tension?

It's a terrible movie.

Brundle Fly 01-17-10 06:12 PM

Mr.brightside's comment contains spoilers...is there anything someone can do about that? Please?

I don't have anything against the fact that he liked the film,its just a little inconsiderate to talk about parts of a film people may have not seen.

Caitlyn 01-17-10 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brundle Fly (Post 595622)
Mr.brightside's comment contains spoilers...is there anything someone can do about that? Please?

Taken care of... sorry about that...

You guys please remember not everyone has seen every movie so add spoiler tags so you don't ruin a movie for anyone else.... I haven't seen this one yet myself...

Cradle Of Fear 01-19-10 11:58 PM

It was OK,certain parts were kind of freaky.It didn't really deliver the "shock" value I expected,so in that sense it was a little bit of a letdown.The alternate ending is worth seeing,but still I was disappointed.

terapattrik 01-20-10 03:49 AM

I came to know this is sequel and first part was released in 2007. Now i am confused , am i to watch the earlier or just new 2001 version.

honeykid 01-20-10 08:39 AM

I think that 2007 was when the film was made. It took this long to get a distributor.

starlite 02-22-10 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by thedeparted (Post 576974)
So, anybody else here see this yet and have an opinion?
I rented and viewed it a few days ago...

And for the first time in a long time I found myself turning away from the screen and plugging my ears...
This movie found a few of my nightmares, and played on them...
That walking up the stairs sound...click, clock, click clock...

I couldn't look at the screen...this movie builds up tension in you...it plays on your fears...it allows for your own mind to scare you more so than the screen...but it works, at least for me...

It takes the 'blair witch' idea, and builds upon it...(I found this far more creepier than blair witch'....

It takes all that you fear and brings it right into your bedroom....the only other movie to do that was 'The Excorcist'...

I watched it alone, and at night, which added to the 'creepy' effect...
Scary movies are a lot more effective when watched alone, and when all is quiet. Your imagination will compliment the film...

Anyhow...it did to me what a horror film hasn't in years, and that is touch the innards of my soul with nightmarish fright...

seventhseal 02-23-10 06:17 PM

ok this is a bit late considering how long ago the movie came out but my friends brother, Micah sloat, is the lead role, I've known Micah for several years now, he had a movie he made in 06 and said it was really scary and good i believed him, I usually do believe Micah however, I was not scared by the movie whatsoever simply because it was completely improvised (made up on the spot) so Micah's personality really came through in his character, now, if i had not known Micah prior to seeing this movie I might have a different opinion of the movie, and it could have very well scared me but I dont think thats what distinguished this movie, this movie was particularly interesting because of the low budget and the fact that they basically shot it in a week, which is ridiculous considering they made 10s of millions of dollars, however that does not change the quality of the movie, i think it was fairly good for it's budget, considering my connection with Micah that's about all I'll say oh and Micah is still very much alive I saw him around christmas

starlite 02-23-10 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by seventhseal (Post 604118)
ok this is a bit late considering how long ago the movie came out but my friends brother, Micah sloat, is the lead role, I've known Micah for several years now, he had a movie he made in 06 and said it was really scary and good i believed him, I usually do believe Micah however, I was not scared by the movie whatsoever simply because it was completely improvised (made up on the spot) so Micah's personality really came through in his character, now, if i had not known Micah prior to seeing this movie I might have a different opinion of the movie, and it could have very well scared me but I dont think thats what distinguished this movie, this movie was particularly interesting because of the low budget and the fact that they basically shot it in a week, which is ridiculous considering they made 10s of millions of dollars, however that does not change the quality of the movie, i think it was fairly good for it's budget, considering my connection with Micah that's about all I'll say oh and Micah is still very much alive I saw him around christmas
It's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen...there's still certain scenes I can't watch...it plays on my nightmares...

It just has a everyday real life feel to it...

Yes, your firmiluararity of the movie and or people in it, probrably ruined the scare factor for you...
But for me...I just find it very creepy...and disturbing...

seventhseal 02-24-10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by starlite (Post 604173)
It's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen...there's still certain scenes I can't watch...it plays on my nightmares...

It just has a everyday real life feel to it...
yea even 1 or 2 sections of this movie scared me regardless of my knowing the lead role

however the real aspect of it was terrific, it made the movie probably the best scary movie of 2009