Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wordle (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=65504)

Stirchley 01-12-22 02:25 PM

Wordle

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone playing this new Internet game? It’s really rather good & it’s only one word per day so one doesn’t spend hours doing it. It’s gone viral for some reason.

I actually solved the word yesterday in not too great a time.

CringeFest 01-12-22 02:44 PM

Re: Wordle

are those letters in the bottom right the letters in the word? I'm already confused.

Stirchley 01-12-22 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is confusing at first. One gets a blank grid - 5 letters across & 6 attempts to solve it. Yellow tiles mean the letters you chose are part of the answer, but not in the order shown. Grey tiles means the letters don’t exist in the answer. Green tiles means the letter is correct & in the correct place. I’m not explaining it well & the cartoon is misleading.

This is today’s puzzle. I have chosen “relax” as my first guess. “R” and “A” are the only two letters in the answer, but not in the order shown. The 3 remaining letters are grey tiles so are not in the answer.

CringeFest 01-12-22 02:57 PM

yeah i went ahead and started playing and it's tough, i've guessed 3 of the letters but im having a hard time thinking of the word, especially since on of the letters is yellow...

Stirchley 01-12-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2271870)
yeah i went ahead and started playing and it's tough, i've guessed 3 of the letters but im having a hard time thinking of the word, especially since on of the letters is yellow...
I haven’t returned to the puzzle yet as I’m rushing. One does need paper & pencil I think.

First one I did I got - - ery. Having looked at the vowels (important) I knew a 2nd vowel had to be either “u” or “i”. Gave up & was kicking myself the next day as it’s obviously QUERY. :rolleyes:

CringeFest 01-12-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2271870)

wow! i got it on the fifth try! I can't believe it...

CringeFest 01-12-22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2271873)
I haven’t returned to the puzzle yet as I’m rushing. One does need paper & pencil I think.

First one I did I got - - ery. Having looked at the vowels (important) I knew a 2nd vowel had to be either “u” or “i”. Gave up & was kicking myself the next day as it’s obviously QUERY. :rolleyes:

i think i was in part lucky because i guessed the right number of things in the right order, it doesn't hurt to use web pages like this, and yeah i used gedit (linux version of notepad) as you were insinuating in order to put down letters that turned up grey:

https://lists.bestwordclub.com/5lett...ondlettera.htm

Flicker 01-12-22 03:04 PM

Been playing the old "Lost Words" for ages, on android. Been occasionally watching a cheesy tv game show that same principle. And suddenly it is omg omg a thing because.

Stirchley 01-12-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2271878)
i think i was in part lucky because i guessed the right number of things in the right order, it doesn't hurt to use web pages like this, and yeah i used gedit (linux version of notepad) as you were insinuating in order to put down letters that turned up grey:

https://lists.bestwordclub.com/5lett...ondlettera.htm
Don’t tell me the answer! Didn’t realize the guy who came up with this - his surname is Wardle - is a fellow Brit. Interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-success.html

CringeFest 01-12-22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2271891)
Don’t tell me the answer! Didn’t realize the guy who came up with this - his surname is Wardle - is a fellow Brit. Interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-success.html

haha, sorry, but picture display actually helped me out because i had one of those letters as a yellow and i was able to figure out its actual place based on that and the clues i had.

Stirchley 01-12-22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2271874)
wow! i got it on the fifth try! I can't believe it...
Finally - just got it on the 4th try, but I made heavy weather of it. Thank God there’s only a new word every 24 hours. :p

(I’m two for two now.)

Takoma11 01-12-22 05:41 PM

I like it, and I've gotten all four I've tried (though I was down to my last guess yesterday!).

I like that there's only one per day. It's a quick 5 minute or less brain teaser.

I always start with the word "SPACE" and then "GROUT". Then I just play around with any letters that are correct.

I REALLY appreciate the little keyboard at the bottom showing what letters you already guessed.

EDIT: The only thing that catches me sometimes is that I forget you can use letters more than once!

Stirchley 01-12-22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2271959)
I like it, and I've gotten all four I've tried (though I was down to my last guess yesterday!).

I like that there's only one per day. It's a quick 5 minute or less brain teaser.

I always start with the word "SPACE" and then "GROUT". Then I just play around with any letters that are correct.

I REALLY appreciate the little keyboard at the bottom showing what letters you already guessed.

EDIT: The only thing that catches me sometimes is that I forget you can use letters more than once!
5 minutes or less? Not me. Took me several times over at least an hour to figure out today’s. Yesterday’s even longer. I’m two for two & I would imagine it gets easier. I’m gonna try your 2 words tomorrow because I never know what word to start with.

I haven’t quite got the hang of the little keyboard at the bottom yet. I’m probably making things harder than they should be. As is my wont. :rolleyes:

@Mesmerized would probably like this puzzle.

Yoda 01-12-22 06:21 PM

Yes, Wordle is a great little game.

I'm part of a group of friends in a video game community that already has a history of becoming obsessed with things like this. One of us finds a game (or video series, sometimes), shares it with the others, and it takes over for awhile. This is the latest. I would've jumped all over it initially, as it's exactly the kind of thing I like, but I was moving and pretty busy, so I only started a few days ago. Really enjoyable.

Takoma11 01-12-22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2271972)
5 minutes or less? Not me. Took me several times over at least an hour to figure out today’s. Yesterday’s even longer. I’m two for two & I would imagine it gets easier. I’m gonna try your 2 words tomorrow because I never know what word to start with.
I like my two words because they get most of the vowels and some common consonants in there. I know someone else always starts with POEMS. GUISE could also be a good starter, or ABOUT.

I do them quickly because I am impatient. Despite having an extensive vocabulary, I always bomb at games like Scrabble because I just play the first word I see.

Stirchley 01-12-22 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2271990)
I like my two words because they get most of the vowels and some common consonants in there. I know someone else always starts with POEMS. GUISE could also be a good starter, or ABOUT.

I do them quickly because I am impatient. Despite having an extensive vocabulary, I always bomb at games like Scrabble because I just play the first word I see.
People expect me to be a genius at Scrabble. I am far far below average.

Good words to try for tomorrow’s Wordle - you’ve given me some good ones. :p

Before I leave, did you know that some people actually search online for 5 letter words starting with “p” or whatever? This seems kinda cheating to me.

Stirchley 01-12-22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2271989)
Yes, Wordle is a great little game.

I'm part of a group of friends in a video game community that already has a history of becoming obsessed with things like this. One of us finds a game (or video series, sometimes), shares it with the others, and it takes over for awhile. This is the latest. I would've jumped all over it initially, as it's exactly the kind of thing I like, but I was moving and pretty busy, so I only started a few days ago. Really enjoyable.
The strangest thing I did during this pandemic was to become obsessed with online solitaire. Never played it in my life, but I have had to delete the app as it was taking over my life. It was just so relaxing & comforting when the cards played out. So very bizarre.

Takoma11 01-12-22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2271999)
People expect me to be a genius at Scrabble. I am far far below average.

Good words to try for tomorrow’s Wordle - you’ve given me some good ones. :p
*mediocre high five!*

I also really used to be into TextTwist, but I have no idea if it still exists.

Stirchley 01-12-22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2272001)
*mediocre high five!*

I also really used to be into TextTwist, but I have no idea if it still exists.
Never heard of it. Not a games player by any means. Husband is not familiar with or good at any kind of game so nobody to play with. My late SIL & I were devoted players of cribbage when we lived in NYC. Brought my set to CT when I married, but nobody to play with. Still sitting in the cupboard collecting dust.

pahaK 01-12-22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2271959)
What really bugs me is that they don't even mention it in "how to play" :mad: Spent like five extra minutes trying to figure a word from the remaining letters, and there was none. Then tried the first one that came to mind with a duplicate letter and that was it.

This doesn't seem too difficult, honestly, but I've done a lot of crosswords and stuff like that.