Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is "Nightmare Before Christmas" a Halloween or Christmas film? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=1004)

Guy 09-10-01 06:45 PM

I saw this being talked about in another thread, and was just wondering. I always thought it's too "halloweeny" to classify it as a christmas film and too "christmasy" to classify it as a halloween film. What do you guys consider it?

I think of it as both, lol

Yoda 09-10-01 09:05 PM

I think of it as more of a Christmas film...I think it was released about Christmas, too. And, of course, the fact that it's a musical makes it much more Christmas-like. It's open to interpretation, but I think Burton saw it as neither...however, if he had to choose one, I think he'd go with Christmas.

mecurdius 09-11-01 02:33 AM

i agree it was a christmas film

Holden Pike 09-11-01 02:40 AM

Q: Is The Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween or a Christmas film?

A: Yes.

spudracer 09-11-01 09:48 AM

Typical Burton movie, leaves you the viewer to decide for yourself. :D

Falafel Fart 09-12-01 04:35 AM

TIM BURTON! -humps- NIGHTMARE BEFORE X-MAS IS AN ANYTIME MOVIE! -sings Danny Elfman- OH YEAH...DANNY ELFMAN = GODLY!

Jenny*B 09-14-01 01:16 AM

In my opinion, I see it more as a Halloween movie than a Christmas one. I guess 'cause I'm used to the Christmas films being more cheery and not quite as "spooky." Heh heh. Whichever it is, it's a good movie.

mecurdius 09-14-01 01:43 AM

its a dark chrismas move, its from the other side of the tree, if ya know what i mean.

Yoda 09-14-01 01:56 AM

Originally posted by mecurdius
its a dark chrismas move, its from the other side of the tree, if ya know what i mean.
Hey, I like that. Very clever. :) Everything Burton does is on the "other side of the tree" as well.

spudracer 09-14-01 10:10 AM

I dont think Burton knows what he's doing. WTF is that woman he's with Lisa Marie think she's doing? Has he hypnotized her or something. I can't see someone like her going for someone like him, but I guess thats just me.

ggfletch 09-14-01 12:25 PM

She's obviously attracted to his creativity and intellect. Just because he isn't good looking doesn't mean he can't attract someone as beautiful as her. Looks aren't everything.

spudracer 09-14-01 01:34 PM

Quoting Jim Carrey from Liar Liar -

Max - "My teacher says that real beauty is on the inside"
Fletcher - "that's just something ugly people say"

ggfletch 09-15-01 08:38 AM

LOL! Very good, but, easy to say when you're sitting behind a computer screen, Quasimodo (jk)!

SultanBigPants 09-15-01 04:27 PM

When someone mentions "Christmas movies" I think of A Christmas Story or Its a Wonderful Life.
Movies you'd have to be lupid to enjoy outside of Christmas.
When Halloween movies are mentioned I think
"What the hell is a halloween movie?"
Nightmare is always a great movie no matter when its watched.
It needs not Christmas spirit to amplify its message or mood.

spudracer 09-15-01 10:59 PM

Originally posted by ggfletch
LOL! Very good, but, easy to say when you're sitting behind a computer screen, Quasimodo (jk)!
I mean I'm not tryin to poke fun at the fact that Burton has this gorgeous woman and he looks like someone that would go for...Rose McGowan. It just seemed funny to me, but if they are happy and what not then more power to em. Just seemed odd to me.