Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Western III Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60887)

edarsenal 02-10-20 09:17 PM

The Western III Hall of Fame

https://media.giphy.com/media/xxAPpzFfT1LFe/giphy.gif

Time to saddle up, kick up your spurs and ride hard one final time
before the Western Countdown Stage coach leaves town!!

So, WELCOME
TO

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...a-5Z3HZqzDRTWE

Alias: D@mmit I NEED TO SEE THIS
BEFORE I SEND IN MY LIST!!

Alrighty then, as we all know, The Deadline to get a List in for the Western Countdown is May 15, 2020 so we've been lucky enough to slip in one final Hall of Fame before hand. And, to repeat myself (again):
"I would like to make this coincides with that Last Minute Scenario and suggest that we all go with a nomination that is one that you really wanted to see before finalizing your List of 25, or, even a Blind Grab that has caught your interest but has not fit into your viewing schedule.
This isn't mandatory, just a suggestion for Nomination Consideration. I'm sure a lot of us have already gone through the "Big Name" Westerns and are now in search of those gems in the rough to fill in the gaps of a Voting List.
Now, of course, should a Big Name STILL remain unseen and a true need to see by anyone joining in, that'll be just fine.
We had done this when I hosted the 30's II HoF with a quick draw that brought out a lot of great unknowns worthy of the Countdown that did show up ON the Countdown. So I'd like to repeat that."

Since a lot of folks are really looking for films that they haven't seen yet, I'd like to accommodate those of that state of mind by doing an early reveal of everyone that signs up quickly. Say, maybe Friday -- That's February 14th; and then keep Entry Open for another week after that. Which should be around February 21th for all late comers who, having seen what's been nominated, hanker to join up and thrown down, while the rest of us git ta watchin.

Since we're all pretty familiar with the RULES regarding Hall of Fames I won't bother printing them up.
All I ask is:
Play Nice,
Have Fun,
No Spitting,
No Shooting within Town Limits,
If you're going to Gamble -- PAY YOUR D@MN DEBTS,
Tip Your Bartender,
Don't Tip the Cows, they don't like it and it's HELL getting them back up again,
Clean Up after Your Horse,
And One Final Thing. . . We're plumb proud of our Brothel and anyone disrespecting it or the fine ladies (and gents) that work, play and cohabit it's premise. . .
Well, visit our local cemetery and the answer will become apparent.

edarsenal 02-10-20 09:18 PM

Re: The Western III Hall of Fame

DEADLINE: MAY 8, 2020

Gunslingers

Citizen Rules (BALLOT SENT)
The Grey Fox
Meek's Cutoff
The Scalphunters
Dirty Little Billy
The Big Gundown
McCabe & Mrs Miller
Bone Tomahawk
Red River
Bone Tomahawk

edarsenal (BALLOT SENT IN)
Red River
Dirty Little Billy
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Grey Fox
Bone Tomahawk
The Scalphunters
Meek's Cutoff
The Big Gundown

ahwell (BALLOT SENT IN)
Dirty Little Billy
McCabe & Mrs Miller
The Scalphunters
The Grey Fox
Meek's Cutoff
The Big Gundown
Red River
Bone Tomahawk

John-Connor (BALLOT SENT IN)
The Grey Fox
Red River
Meek's Cutoff
The Scalphunters
Dirty Little Billy
The Big Gundown
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Bone Tomahawk

neiba (BALLOT SENT IN)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Bone Tomahawk
Red River
The Scalphunters
The Big Gundown
Meek's Cutoff
The Grey Fox
Dirty Little Billy

Wyldesyde19 (BALLOT SENT IN)
Meek's Cutoff
Red River
The Scalphunters
Bone Tomahawk
McCabe & Mrs Miller
The Grey Fox
The Big Gundown
Dirty Little Billy

Zotis (BALLOT SENT IN)
The Grey Fox
The Scalphunters
The Big Gundown
Dirty Little Billy
Bone Tomahawk
McCabe & Mrs Miller
Red River
Meek's Cutoff

Siddon (BALLOT SENT IN)
Bone Tomahawk
Meek's Cutoff
Dirty Little Billy
The Scalphunters
The Big Showdown
McCabe & Mrs Miller
Red River
The Grey Fox
The Big Gundown

Bounty Hunters

cricket
The Scalphunters
Meek's Cutoff
The Big Gundown
Dirty Little Billy

edarsenal 02-10-20 09:18 PM

MOVIE NOMINATIONS

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Lmp0NYnNQ-cehO

Meek's Cutoff (2010) Director: Kelly Reichardt 1h 44min
Nominated by Citizen Rules

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/609...0&odnBg=ffffff

The Grey Fox (1982) Director: Phillip Borsos 1h 50min
Nominated by edarsenal

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d89...0&odnBg=ffffff
Red River (1948) Directors: Howard Hawks, Arthur Rosson (co-director) 2h 13min
Nominated by ahwell

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/766...0&odnBg=ffffff

The Big gundown (1966) Director: Sergio Sollima 1h 50min
Nominated by neiba

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/5f3...0&odnBg=ffffff

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) Director: Robert Altman 2h
Nominated by John-Connor

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/7c...7655aa78f4.jpg

The Scalphunters (1968) Director: Sydney Pollack1h 42min
Nominated by Wyldesyde19

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?s...oduct.chain%5D

Dirty Little Billy (1972) Director: Stan Dragoti 1h 33min
Nominated by Zotis

https://media-cache.cinematerial.com...g?v=1456061258

Bone Tomahawk (2015) Director: S. Craig Zahler 2h 12min
Nominated by Siddon

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 09:32 PM

Not reserved:)

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 09:33 PM

I’m in. Give me a few to pick my nomination.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 10:05 PM

Sent my nom in. I'm pretty sure most all of you have not seen it, but I truly believe it's a worthy film.

cricket 02-10-20 10:38 PM

Once again I will watch anything I haven't seen.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2064871)
Once again I will watch anything I haven't seen.
Then you'll be watching my nom:) If your MoFo list are up to date, and I betcha they are.

cricket 02-10-20 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064874)
Then you'll be watching my nom:) If your MoFo list are up to date, and I betcha they are.
Wow there's only 3 choices there. Unless it's not on the westerns list hmmmm. Either way I'm liking it because one of the things I like to do for these countdowns is to watch anything I haven't seen from the current lists that are eligible.

edarsenal 02-10-20 11:17 PM

I'm doing the same as well. Not exactly sure if it's something up your alley, @cricket, but it's a lesser known that caught my eye from the Western Countdown Thread

neiba 02-11-20 03:43 PM

I'm in

John-Connor 02-11-20 05:06 PM

Nom sent pilgrims

edarsenal 02-11-20 05:14 PM

Thank you AND Thank you!!

And the gems in the rough keep on a-comin!!!

Wyldesyde19 02-11-20 07:20 PM

I’m in, but I’m trying to think up a nomination. Will figure it out tonight

edarsenal 02-11-20 07:42 PM

I'll just put your name in, meanwhile wylde

Wyldesyde19 02-11-20 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2065141)
I'll just put your name in, meanwhile wylde
I’m not a big fan of blind noms, but there’s one I’ve been itching to see and this would provide a good chance to do so.
Nomination incoming.

Citizen Rules 02-11-20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065106)
Nom sent pilgrims
:up: for joining...and :up: for a cool avatar. I so need me a western avatar:p

John-Connor 02-12-20 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2065164)
I so need me a western avatar:p
Maybe one of the shots with hat in The Third Man, could pass as a western avatar?

edarsenal 02-12-20 01:10 PM

I went looking for Orson in a cowboy hat as well. The closest was the one he wears in F for Fake

https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/...?itok=3glXOQ12

which, if you sepia tone it, splash a desert mountain ranch in the back. . . it MIGHT be passable. . .

something along these lines:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...XZe316nmCihvIM

edarsenal 02-12-20 01:13 PM

or shrink this one down, CR

https://www.artnet.com/WebServices/i...rtisement).jpg

Wyldesyde19 02-12-20 02:23 PM

Nomination sent. Never seen it but it has an established actor (not Wayne or Eastwood) and an established director (not Ford or Hawks).
I’ve been wanting to see it for about a month now and it isn’t on the westerns list provided on the site. Looking forward to it.

Siddon 02-12-20 02:43 PM

I'm 50/50 on this hall I'll wait and see the noms

Citizen Rules 02-12-20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2065319)
That one was cool! I went with my favorite character actor and it's from a western, which I've never seen but will have to now that I'm sporting the image:p

edarsenal 02-12-20 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2065378)
That one was cool! I went with my favorite character actor and it's from a western, which I've never seen but will have to now that I'm sporting the image:p
Looks like a great Wanted Poster shot!

VERY nice!

Wyldesyde19 02-13-20 01:47 AM

We’ve got 6 with 1 maybe in the wings. Anyone else we can think of who might be interested? I figure at least 7 or 8 would be a nice total.

Zotis 02-13-20 09:52 AM

I sent in a nom. I want to participate again. I promise to finish. I won't drop out no matter what. And, I'm also going to make an effort to be nicer and not bash other people's nominations or insult people. I was talking with Yoda about it, and I think a lot of things I said were insensitive and arrogant.

My nom is a movie that I hear a lot of great things about and really want to see, but haven't seen yet. I think a couple people may have already seen it though.

Citizen Rules 02-13-20 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2065570)
I sent in a nom. I want to participate again. I promise to finish. I won't drop out no matter what. And, I'm also going to make an effort to be nicer and not bash other people's nominations or insult people. I was talking with Yoda about it, and I think a lot of things I said were insensitive and arrogant.

My nom is a movie that I hear a lot of great things about and really want to see, but haven't seen yet. I think a couple people may have already seen it though.
That's good to hear Zotis thanks for posting that and I think we can all get along here:) So let's start anew and forget about anything in the past. I'm looking forward to your nom and can't wait for the reveal of the movies. I hope some will like my nom:p

ahwell 02-13-20 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2065570)

I’m also happy you’re joining, and I’m sure this HoF will run smoother!

Zotis 02-13-20 11:29 AM

I'm actually glad that my first nomination was already nominated by someone else. It gives me a chance to go with something more obscure.

Citizen Rules 02-13-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2065593)
I'm actually glad that my first nomination was already nominated by someone else. It gives me a chance to go with something more obscure.
I bet your first choice, was what I picked. I guess we'll see when Ed does the reveal.

BTW, I had a half dozen really good westerns that I was considering for my nom. I have my fingers crossed that some of them got chosen, probably not.

Citizen Rules 02-13-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2065519)
We’ve got 6 with 1 maybe in the wings. Anyone else we can think of who might be interested? I figure at least 7 or 8 would be a nice total.
Yeah, I'd like to see more join. @Hey Fredrick was in the last one, maybe he might join?

Zotis 02-13-20 12:24 PM

I hope so, wasn't @Hey Fredrick's nom, The Shooting?

Citizen Rules 02-13-20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2065633)
I hope so, wasn't @Hey Fredrick's nom, The Shooting?
It was. Maybe he'll see this thread and come up with another cool nom for us.

edarsenal 02-13-20 07:18 PM

I'm thinking once the reveal is done there'll be a few more joining in afterward, through the week.

So we do have Zotis with another film I was intrigued by and didn't go with so we definitely have a solid list of rarities to comb through.

Oh, and CR, it wasn't your nomination :)

Hey Fredrick 02-13-20 10:22 PM

I'm going to sit this one out.

Miss Vicky 02-13-20 11:31 PM

Will wait for the reveal before I decide for sure, but am leaning towards no.

edarsenal 02-13-20 11:55 PM

@Citizen Rules, @ahwell, @John-Connor, @neiba, @Wyldesyde19, @Zotis

Figured I'd toss out the REVEAL the night before:

Nominated by edarsenal

Red River (1948) Directors: Howard Hawks, Arthur Rosson (co-director) 2h 13min
Nominated by ahwell

The Big gundown (1966) Director: Sergio Sollima 1h 50min
Nominated by neiba

Nominated by John-Connor

Nominated by Wyldesyde19

Nominated by Zotis

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 12:05 AM

Meeks cutoff has long been on my radar.
So glad to see it nominated.
A lot of interesting choices here.
In particular, Neiba and Zotis nominations really intrigue me. I haven’t heard of either of them. Looking forward to them.

Seen McCabe and Mrs Miller and Red River previously, and liked then both.
Great nominees

cricket 02-14-20 12:19 AM

I'm surprised, there's more I haven't seen than I have. Mccabe, Red River, and The Grey Fox are all excellent. Meek's Cutoff was already on my watchlist. I haven't heard of the other 3 but will watch them.

Citizen Rules 02-14-20 02:32 AM

Interesting noms to say the least! I haven't even heard of some of them.

This is a very subtle film. It doesn't force feed the emotions. It's all about the essences of the moment and the feeling of isolation. It's the kind of film that needs one's full attention and if you miss some of the dialogue which is already sparse and hard to hear at times, it won't have the impact and it won't make sense. So I suggest using sub titles so you don't miss what's said...and I suggest if possible watch on a bigger screen in a nice darken room with no disturbances. It takes some focus to get the most out of the film.

Nominated by edarsenal
I just watched this a few weeks ago. Excellent film. It's hard to find a good copy, but worth finding the best copy you can.

Red River (1948) Directors: Howard Hawks 2h 13min
Nominated by ahwell
Perfect as I'm on a John Wayne kick and Wayne is quite different here than his usual persona. Very happy to rewatch this.

Nominated by John-Connor
I had wanted to rewatch this before sending in my Countdown list, so glad to see it here.

Never heard of these, but they sound interesting.

The Big Gundown (1966)
Director: Sergio Sollima 1h 50min
Nominated by neiba

Nominated by Wyldesyde19

Nominated by Zotis

John-Connor 02-14-20 03:33 AM

Meek's Cutoff
Only heard about this one and watch-listed it since yesterday, CR must be tracking my laptop :p

The Grey Fox
Looking forward to seeing this one, 80's is my era!

Red River + The Big gundown
Both very good Westerns and very recently viewed, so easy write-ups.

The Scalphunters
Never seen it but Three Days of the Condor, Tootsie, Jeremiah Johnson are all favorites of mine so expectations are high, can't wait to see it.

Dirty Little Billy
Never seen this dark spaghetti, I'll be happy to explore this unknown title.

John-Connor 02-14-20 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, I found out why our host only rides into town come nightfall :D

Zotis 02-14-20 03:52 AM

This list looks great. I predict I'll end up giving Red River 3 stars. It looks like one of the better John Wayne's. I think it won Best Picture didn't it? The Grey Fox looks great, it's been on my radar. The Scalphunters looks interesting, I hadn't heard of it before. I like Lee Van Cleef, so The Big Gundown should be good.

I can see why you thought Meek's Cutoff was my nom, Citizen, but I wanted a blind pick for this HoF. Meek's was definitely in my mind when you said it was probably my first pick, but I wasn't quite sure. My first pick was McCabe & Mrs Miller. That movie looks so incredible, and I've been meaning to watch it for a long time now.

Dirty Little Billy is a movie that I've been looking for, but so far haven't been able to find. I may have to order it online just to see it.

Here's my Westerns to-watch list. I want to watch as many of these before the countdown as I can:

The Long Riders (1980)
Will Penny (1967)
The Professionals (1966)
Day of Anger (1967)
Deadly Companions (1961)
Barbarosa (1982)
Bad Company (1972)
Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
The Kentuckian (1955)
Ride Lonesome (1959)
The Shootist (1976)
The Ballad of Little Joe (1993)
Black Jack (1979)
No Name on the Bullet (1959)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Shane (1953)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Death Rides a Horse (1967)
My Darling Clementine (1946)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
3:10 to Yuma (1957)

Zotis 02-14-20 06:01 AM

https://debravega.files.wordpress.co...0/greyfox8.png

The Grey Fox (1982)
Nominated by: edarsenal

I'm happy to be the first to complete a film in this HoF. The Grey Fox was a slow burner based on the real life story of the legendary Bill Miner, a famous stage coach robber who performed Canada's first train robbery in 1904. A classic bandit from the Old West, released from prison in his old age to a world that had all but forgotten the cowboy. But Miner just couldn't settle for a normal life, his ambitions lead him back towards his old life of crime. But he was honorable and smart, and would see where this new life would take him. Richard Farnsworth delivered a powerful performance in this character driven story. Jackie Burroughs was also a strong supporting role. I enjoyed the emphasis on realism.

John-Connor 02-14-20 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Grey Fox 1982 Directed by Phillip Borsos

'In 1901 after 33 years in San Quentin Bill Miner "The Gentlemen Bandit" was released into the twentieth century.'

Watched this in VHS-quality, it was pretty hard to find. But that didn't take away from enjoying some of the very nice landscape, railway, and moving train shots. There is also some nicely done editing with footage of The Great Train Robbery 1903.
The story and atmosphere are somewhat reminiscent of Robert Redford's recent film The Old Man & the Gun.
Although we kind of know how the story is going to unfold, it's always interesting to see the final chapters of infamous heist figures. In this film I found the ending,ending very well done. Great lead performance by Farnsworth, pacing is on the slow side but fitting to the story and the run-time is just fine. Very relaxing and enjoyable first watch of this HoF.

John-Connor 02-14-20 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Red River 1948 Directed by Howard Hawks

"STAMPEDE!!"
We follow tough self-made cattle ranch owner Thomas Dunson and his protege an orphan named Math Garth on a very risky and dangerous first cattle drive from Texas to Kansas.
Big traditional classic Western, features some impressive epic monochrome cinematography. Great story telling by Howard Hawks who succeeded in taking me along for the ride on this adventurous, dangerous and incident filled journey. Conflicts involving pride, leadership and loyalty are very well conveyed through strong performances by lead actors John Wayne and Montgomery Clift. The finale however was very abrupt, unfitting, anti climactic and silly in my opinion. And I'm curious how other HoF participants experienced it. Aside from the ending it's evident why this film is considered a classic in the genre and on many Western viewers favorite list.

Citizen Rules 02-14-20 12:28 PM

An award winning, biographical Canadian film, that's not like other westerns. The Grey Fox is an introspective, personal tale of a 'gentleman bandit' who robbed stage coaches in the 19th century and eventually was caught and set to prison for 33 years. When The Grey Fox (Richard Farnsworth) finally gets out of prison, it's the 20th century and he's now a senior citizen. The film is done in a subtle manor and mostly non violent with the emphasize on the aged outlaw trying to cope with the changing times. I liked the personal tale style of the movie and the more low key approach which fits the filming style of the movie. The filming sites were in British Columbia Canada and in my state of Washington, which I thought was cool and gave the film a much different look and feel than the typical hot, dry and dusty western.

++

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065840)

"STAMPEDE!!"
We follow tough self-made cattle ranch owner Thomas Dunson and his protege an orphan named Math Garth on a very risky and dangerous first cattle drive from Texas to Kansas.
Big traditional classic Western, features some impressive epic monochrome cinematography. Great story telling by Howard Hawks who succeeded in taking me along for the ride on this adventurous, dangerous and incident filled journey. Conflicts involving pride, leadership and loyalty are very well conveyed through strong performances by lead actors John Wayne and Montgomery Clift. The finale however was very abrupt, unfitting, anti climactic and silly in my opinion. And I'm curious how other HoF participants experienced it. Aside from the ending it's evident why this film is considered a classic in the genre and on many Western viewers favorite list.
In regards to the ending, I seem to remember reading. That the producers stepped in and forced it, as they were unhappy with the original ending. Can’t remember all the details, but Hawks himself was unhappy with what he seemed a “Hollywood” ending as a result

John-Connor 02-14-20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2065870)
In regards to the ending, I seem to remember reading. That the producers stepped in and forced it, as they were unhappy with the original ending. Can’t remember all the details, but Hawks himself was unhappy with what he seemed a “Hollywood” ending as a result
That's got to be one of the worst things that can happen to a director/artist/creator when producers limit your creative freedom like that.

Holden Pike 02-14-20 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065830)
Watched this in VHS-quality, it was pretty hard to find. But that didn't take away from enjoying some of the very nice landscape, railway, and moving train shots...

The great news is that a brand new 4K restoration of The Grey Fox is coming to BluRay from Kino/Lorber sometime in 2020! The disappointing news is that it isn't going to be out in time for MoFos to watch it before the Westerns lists are due.

Oh, well.

Miss Vicky 02-14-20 01:52 PM

I may check out some of these films on my own time, but I've decided not to join this HOF.

Siddon 02-14-20 02:11 PM

I'll join...my nominee

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/...&poi=face&q=85

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065872)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2065870)
That's got to be one of the worst things that can happen to a director/artist/creator when producers limit your creative freedom like that.
Wait. I think I’m remembering it wrong. I think it had something to do with Howard Hughes suing them over the ending...

Holden Pike 02-14-20 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2065820)
This list looks great. I predict I'll end up giving Red River 3 stars. It looks like one of the better John Waynes. I think it won Best Picture didn't it?
No, Red River did not win Best Picture. It wasn't even nominated. That year Olivier's Hamlet won Oscar's Best Picture (John Huston won Best Director for Treasure of the Sierra Madre). The only two Academy Awards Red River was up for were Best Writing and Best Editing. It won neither.

The only Westerns to win Best Picture to date are Cimarron (1931), Dances with Wolves (1990), and Unforgiven (1992). Plus No Country for Old Men (2007) if that fits your definition of a modern Western. Red River was not nominated. Nor was The Searchers. Of that classic era of the '40s and '50s the only Westerns nominated for Best Picture were Stagecoach, The Ox-Bow Incident, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, High Noon, Shane, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Friendly Persuasion, and Giant. The Alamo, How the West Was Won, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were the only nominees in the '60s, there were none in the '70s or '80s, and since the two wins in the early '90s there has only been Brokeback Mountain, True Grit, Django Unchained, The Revenant, and Hell or High Water.

There are a few big acting wins from Westerns: Gary Cooper as Best Actor for High Noon, Wayne got his Best Actor for True Grit, DiCaprio got his for The Revenant, and Daniel Day-Lewis' Daniel Plainview towers above them all in There Will Be Blood. Lee Marvin won Best Actor for his dual role in the comic Western Cat Ballou and going back to the first couple years of the Oscars Warner Baxter was named Best Actor for playing The Cisco Kid in In Old Arizona. There were a bunch of winners for Best Supporting Actor from Westerns, too: Thomas Mitchell in Stagecoach, Walter Brennan in The Westerner, Walter Huston in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Anthony Quinn in Viva Zapata!, Burl Ives in The Big Country, Melvyn Douglas in Hud, Jack Palance for City Slickers, and Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained (plus Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men).

Patricia Neal's Best Actress for Hud is the only female role in a Western to earn an Oscar. There have only been a handful of nominees including Julie Christie for McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Mary McDonnell for Dances with Wolves, Irene Dunne for Cimarron, Mercedes McCambridge for Giant, Lillian Gish and Jennifer Jones for Duel in the Sun, Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit, and Madeline Kahn for Blazing Saddles.

Citizen Rules 02-14-20 04:11 PM

...The finale however was very abrupt, unfitting, anti climactic and silly in my opinion.

And I'm curious how other HoF participants experienced it...
The ending of Red River was a hot topic of discussion on the first Western HoF. It starts with my review and criticism of the ending and then we proceed to discuss it.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...09#post1502109

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2065922)
...The finale however was very abrupt, unfitting, anti climactic and silly in my opinion.

And I'm curious how other HoF participants experienced it...
The ending of Red River was a hot topic of discussion on the first Western HoF. It starts with my review and criticism of the ending and then we proceed to discuss it.

Yeah, reading this confirms Hughes stepped in and caused havoc

John-Connor 02-14-20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2065922)

Thanks for clearing that up CR, Hawks stole Hughes 'The Outlaw' ending, like Matt stole Dunson's cattle. :p

Citizen Rules 02-14-20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065818)
Meek's Cutoff
Only heard about this one and watch-listed it since yesterday, CR must be tracking my laptop :p
Not only tracking your laptop;) I copied your avatar too:p

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065930)
Thanks for clearing that up CR, Hawks stole Hughes 'The Outlaw' ending, like Matt stole Dunson's cattle. :p
Did you think Cherry Valance died or lived at the end of the movie?

John-Connor 02-14-20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2065936)

Did you think Cherry Valance died or lived at the end of the movie?
In his last second of the movie 3 men tend to 'a shot Valance' not 'a dead Valance'. Half hour after the scene he could be dead or patched up 50/50 outcome possibility.

Citizen Rules 02-14-20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065949)
In his last second of the movie 3 men tend to 'a shot Valance' not 'a dead Valance'. Half hour after the scene he could be dead or patched up 50/50 outcome possibility.
Thanks I'll have to pay close attention to that scene when I watch the movie.

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 06:38 PM

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it but I always thought he survived.
I never liked the ending and how it just wipes away all that tension in one fell swoop, and ignored Valance being shot.
Felt not only abrupt, but disingenuous.

edarsenal 02-14-20 06:47 PM

@Citizen Rules, @ahwell, @John-Connor, @neiba, @Wyldesyde19, @Zotis, @Siddon

ANNND one more to the round up!

Bone Tomahawk (2015) Director: S. Craig Zahler 2h 12min
Nominated by Siddon

WELCOME Siddon!!

edarsenal 02-14-20 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2065819)
Also, I found out why our host only rides into town come nightfall :D
WHAAAAA??? NOOO
That's not me! Can't be!! Doesn't even look like me -- clearly I have blue eyes and this guy has. . . what is that? Sepia? Is that even an eye color?
And where the hell is Bolivia?!? Is that south of 110th Street? I don't know -- I'm not from that neighborhood.
Fake News! FAKE NEWS!!

only a $1000, puh-lease. Better add another zero, at least

GulfportDoc 02-14-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2065867)
The Grey Fox (1982)

An award winning, biographical Canadian film, that's not like other westerns. The Grey Fox is an introspective, personal tale of a 'gentleman bandit' who robbed stage coaches in the 19th century and eventually was caught and set to prison for 33 years. When The Grey Fox (Richard Farnsworth) finally gets out of prison, it's the 20th century and he's now a senior citizen. The film is done in a subtle manor and mostly non violent with the emphasize on the aged outlaw trying to cope with the changing times. I liked the personal tale style of the movie and the more low key approach which fits the filming style of the movie. The filming sites were in British Columbia Canada and in my state of Washington, which I thought was cool and gave the film a much different look and feel than the typical hot, dry and dusty western.

++
I love this film, and it's in my top 10 favorite film group. It's a unusual but light-hearted film with wonderful cinematography, and Irish music from the Chieftans that just blew me away. It's also likely Farnsworth's premier portrayal of his lengthy career. It won best Canadian film in Canada, but it should have easily won Best Foreign Film in the U.S. Farnsworth too.

~Doc

Citizen Rules 02-14-20 10:33 PM

Dir. Kelly Reichardt

In 1845 a small group of immigrants on their way to the Oregon Territory become hopelessly lost in the vast openness of the prairie, after taking a chance on a shortcut....Meek's Cutoff.

What struck me about this film is the way it completely embodies an emotion, while capturing a specific moment in time. That emotion is one we all can relate to, the feeling that one has made a horribly wrong turn and now all is hopelessly lost. The moment in time was real, this is based on a story of a group of early pioneers heading to the Oregon Territory in 1845. That's some 30-40 years earlier than the time frame most western films take place. In 1845 these people would have been literally charting new territory. And a wrong turn could spell doom.

It's the underlying emotion of uncertainty as one heads into the unknown, that Meek's Cutoff captures. The film takes us on a journey and comes as close as any film ever has to giving us the experience these early pioneers would've felt.

I loved that image I used, the film uses spacial distances to make one feel the vastness of the journey these people took. Meek's Cutoff is a subtle film, it never spoon feeds it's message with cinematic cues and overly high drama. It allows the viewer to have their own experience...and that is something quite different than the average movie.

+

ahwell 02-14-20 11:22 PM

Dirty Little Billy

Well, that Billy sure was Dirty and Little ;)

Pretty much a mess. The acting was pretty good actually, there wasn't a bad performance for such an unknown movie. However, the entire plot had no direction at all. The middle especially was so tiresome and pointless, it was literally the prostitute getting slapped around and called a "bitch" by Goldie.

This felt a lot like Joker actually. It was an innocent enough kid, Billy, who tries to make a name for himself in the world and ends up getting corrupted by "society" and turning into a criminal. Except it's in the old west, and somehow even worse than Joker. The production value/budget is just pretty awful, unless it's the low quality version I watched.

Hey, that main tune is fun, though! I'm sure it'll be stuck in my head for days now :)

-

edarsenal 02-15-20 12:11 AM

Helluva start, going in. Great job!!

Loving what I'm hearing about Grey Fox. It's definitely turning into a real find. I've been wanting to see it since @Holden Pike recommended it, along several others in the Countdown and I'm pretty excited about seeing it. He had also recommended Dirty Little Billy so I'm pretty happy to see that here as well.
In fact, I nearly did, tonight, but went with Red River instead. Great film and I see what others were talking about the abrupt ending. I'm going to check out the thread about the discussions in the first Western HoF.

Zotis 02-15-20 05:47 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...Og6xm640JgUrxg

The Scalphunters (1968)
Nominated by: Wyldesyde19

I wasn't a fan of this one. It was a little cheesy for my taste. Burt Lancaster played Joe Bass, a fur hunter who also happened to be a crack shot. Tagging along for the ride was Joseph Lee, a runaway slave with a goofy nature and sorely lacking principles. He was played by Ossie Davis. Telly Savalas played Jim Howie, a generic villain. And Shelly Winters played Kate, Jim Howie's nagging annoying mistress. I found the plot to be dry, and oversaturated with flat comic relief.

John-Connor 02-15-20 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Meek’s Cutoff 2010 Directed by Kelly Reichardt*

Nontraditional Western road movie, that allows the viewer to join a group of settlers and be part of a grueling migration journey in 1845. Very realistic and immersive look at a specific moment in time. Facing conflicts and confrontations involving trust, instinct and survival. Great acting by Rod Rondeaux (The Indian) and strong out of comfort zone performances by Bruce Greenwood and Michelle Williams.
With yet another very interesting, risky and discussion worthy ending. (Unless we all interpret the ending in the same way of course).
Meek's Cutoff is probably one of the best looking Westerns nominated in this Hall of Fame. I suggest watching it in the best possible picture quality you can find, it really looked stunning on my 4K TV. The camera angles were unorthodox and experimental but it all worked for me.
A film not intended for the masses, all involved from director to actors, took a risk with this film, for me the risk paid-off. Beautiful nomination, currently sitting pretty high on my ballot.

*You can scratch this one off your MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women list.

cricket 02-15-20 10:37 AM

Big fan of Bone Tomahawk

neiba 02-15-20 11:24 AM

This will be so easy to preview: Haven't heard of any of them, except from my nom,which is one of my favourite non-Leone Spaghetti westerns, just behind The Great Silence and Django!

Zotis 02-15-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by neiba (Post 2066080)
This will be so easy to preview: Haven't heard of any of them, except from my nom,which is one of my favourite non-Leone Spaghetti westerns, just behind The Great Silence and Django!
You haven't heard of McCabe & Mrs Miller, Red River, and Meek's Cutoff? I'm surprised...

Citizen Rules 02-15-20 01:24 PM

I need links for these movies, I can't afford to buy them and I didn't see them on youtube and there not at my library.

The Big Gundown (1966) Director: Sergio Sollima 1h 50min
Nominated by @neiba

The Scalphunters (1968) Director: Sydney Pollack 1h 42min
Nominated by @Wyldesyde19

Nominated by @Zotis

Wyldesyde19 02-15-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2066103)
I need links for these movies, I can't afford to buy them and I didn't see them on youtube and there not at my library.

Nominated by @neiba

Nominated by @Zotis
Scalphunters are available to watch on Amazon prime

edarsenal 02-15-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2066103)

Nominated by @neiba

Nominated by @Zotis
sent you links for the first two, gonna have to look a little harder for Dirty Billy, let you know when I find one

Citizen Rules 02-15-20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066110)
I don't do Amazon prime, but Ed sent me two good links. I still need to find;

Dirty Little Billy (1972)

Wyldesyde19 02-15-20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2066150)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066110)
I don't do Amazon prime, but Ed sent me two good links. I still need to find;

You should 😜
No seriously, Amazon is better then Netflix. Better selection from past decades. Think of all the older westerns and noir that would be available to you.

edarsenal 02-15-20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066154)
You should 😜
No seriously, Amazon is better then Netflix. Better selection from past decades. Think of all the older westerns and noir that would be available to you.
tried amazon about a year or two ago. The majority of films I went looking for only had links to purchase them off amazon. :rolleyes:

Wyldesyde19 02-15-20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2066157)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066154)
You should 😜
tried amazon about a year or two ago. The majority of films I went looking for only had links to purchase them off amazon. :rolleyes:
It’s different now, plenty to view for free

edarsenal 02-15-20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066160)
Very glad to hear that

Wyldesyde19 02-15-20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2066165)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066160)
Very glad to hear that
I mean, you still have to pay for the streaming service

ahwell 02-15-20 06:01 PM

@edarsenal if i could have the links you gave to Citizen Rules that would be much appreciated as well.

ahwell 02-15-20 06:05 PM

Also the Grey Fox, can't find that anywhere.

cricket 02-15-20 07:56 PM

There's a lot to like in this movie but I thought it was a little too uneven for me to love it. Burt Lancaster and Telly Savalas both do their thing and do it well, but I thought this movie belonged to Ossie Davis. He was fantastic. Also great in a supporting role was Shelly Winters who stole every scene she was in. Everything works to an extent, the performances, dialogue, action, cinematography, and humor, but sometimes the mix didn't work good enough. The movie seems to want to be a lot of things. Sometimes the race angle comes into play on a serious note and it's really good, and sometimes the comedy is really good, but the mix can be jarring. It's a common issue for this viewer but it's not that way for every viewer. I thought it was pretty good overall.

Wyldesyde19 02-15-20 08:13 PM

Fair notice to all regarding my nomination: it was a blind pick. I apologize in advance 😑

edarsenal 02-15-20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066193)
Fair notice to all regarding my nomination: it was a blind pick. I apologize in advance 😑
Blind Grabs are always a roll of the dice. I've come out on both sides, but it's always worth while to play.

edarsenal 02-15-20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2066171)
@edarsenal if i could have the links you gave to Citizen Rules that would be much appreciated as well.
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2066172)
Also the Grey Fox, can't find that anywhere.
just sent them

Also, if anyone else needs them, let me know

cricket 02-15-20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2066193)
Zotis not liking it was not unpredictable but it will do ok.

Zotis 02-16-20 12:12 AM

I don't have a link for Dirty Little Billy. The link I watched for The Grey Fox wasn't very good quality, a little blurry. So you may want a better quality link. I generally just google search "Watch (the name of the movie) full free" and look at the google video tab.

I think for Dirty Little Billy I'm actually going to have to pay for it, which I don't mind doing.

Edit: I did find a link.

Zotis 02-16-20 02:15 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...JX-9ctKFleWtKI

The Big Gundown (1966)
Nominated by: neiba

The title didn't seem to suit this movie. This was a fairly typical Western, with a hint of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but a little more realistic. It gave me a lot of the same vibes as The Scalphunters, but fortunately was more serious and didn't have as much comic relief. It still had a bit of quirky, unfunny, comedic elements, but they weren't too cheesy to ruin the vibes. I found this movie mildly enjoyable. Lee Van Cleef played a cool anti-hero. I was hoping for something a little more interesting from neiba, so I was a little dissapointed.

Zotis 02-16-20 04:29 AM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Nominated by: Zotis

I was thoroughly pleased by this blind nomination of mine. It was gritty, realistic, and unconventional. Not too long into the grimy disorienting story did I find myself sympathetically drawn to the character, Berle, played by Lee Purcell. She was charming in the most delightfully criminal sort of way. This movie was so dirty, with mud smeared everywhere, it was the antithesis to Hollywood class. Towards the end my heart was shattered. It was a doomed romance from the start, but I still didn't want to accept it. I wanted the happy ending, but I didn't get it. I had to accept it though, it was meant to be. It was tragic, but I couldn't do anything about it. I really enjoyed this movie. Billy, played by Michael J. Pollard was an earnest character with a lot of spunk. He wasn't the toughest, but he had enough grit to survive and enough character to be liked. I enjoyed this subtle gritty tale in a backwater town with little to no law except the guns held by a few delinquents. Berle was the girlfriend of the resident thug who Billy ended up falling for. It was a gritty romance in the grimiest of settings. I especially liked the mud and dirt that substituted for make-up. Berle was beautiful even in rags and caked with a nice thick layer of dried dirt.

John-Connor 02-16-20 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Scalphunters 1968 Directed by Sydney Pollack

Starring Burt Lancaster, Ossie Davis, Shelley Winters and Kojak.
Burt Lancaster is a great actor who stars in some of my favorite movies like The Killers and The Leopard. And I recently saw Ossie Davis in Sidney Lumet's The Hill where he gave an excellent performance alongside Sean Connery, I recommend that one. But.. if Scalphunters wasn't a nominated HoF movie, I would have posted it in the 'movies you couldn't even finish' thread. I did like the location, the stunt-work, the scenes with the rocks, and the loco'd horses and some of the scenes and dialogue between Lancaster and Davis's characters. Other than that I wasn't really feeling it. I think the main reason for this is the sudden switches between serious and comical tones, like Cricket said in his write-up.

edarsenal 02-16-20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 2066238)
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Nominated by: Zotis

I was thoroughly pleased by this blind nomination of mine. It was gritty, realistic, and unconventional. Not too long into the grimy disorienting story did I find myself sympathetically drawn to the character, Berle, played by Lee Purcell. She was charming in the most delightfully criminal sort of way. This movie was so dirty, with mud smeared everywhere, it was the antithesis to Hollywood class. Towards the end my heart was shattered. It was a doomed romance from the start, but I still didn't want to accept it. I wanted the happy ending, but I didn't get it. I had to accept it though, it was meant to be. It was tragic, but I couldn't do anything about it. I really enjoyed this movie. Billy, played by Michael J. Pollard was an earnest character with a lot of spunk. He wasn't the toughest, but he had enough grit to survive and enough character to be liked. I enjoyed this subtle gritty tale in a backwater town with little to no law except the guns held by a few delinquents. Berle was the girlfriend of the resident thug who Billy ended up falling for. It was a gritty romance in the grimiest of settings. I especially liked the mud and dirt that substituted for make-up. Berle was beautiful even in rags and caked with a nice thick layer of dried dirt.

This is what I was expecting when I saw it, and glad to see it is. Should be a good watch and I've enjoyed Pollard in the little bit I've seen: Bonnie & Clyde, an episode in the original Star Trek where everyone over (I think) 21 dies.
I totally see him as a punk Billy the Kid.

Wyldesyde19 02-16-20 06:35 PM

I feel like I need to keep apologizing to everyone for nominating The Scalphunters. 🥺

Citizen Rules 02-16-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2066358)
This is what I was expecting when I saw it, and glad to see it is. Should be a good watch and I've enjoyed Pollard in the little bit I've seen: Bonnie & Clyde, an episode in the original Star Trek where everyone over (I think) 21 dies.
I totally see him as a punk Billy the Kid.
I've seen him in that Star Trek episode (Miri) so many times that I can totally see him as an obnoxious punk Billy the Kid. I'd be disappointed if he was anything other than obnoxious:p

John-Connor 02-17-20 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dirty Little Billy 1972 Directed by Stan Dragoti

Dirty Little Billy is a grimy, gritty origin story of the notorious outlaw Billy The Kid.
Dark, low budget Western with a sinister style and atmosphere, deliberately portraying the uglier side of the old West.
'The Kid' is well played by Michael J. Pollard, the beautiful Lee Purcell who plays 'Berle' a girl forced into prostitution, really shines in this role. The underlying romance between her and Billy delivered the much needed emotional layer to the story. It also features brief appearances by both very young looking Gary Busey and Nick Nolte.
It's a unique and realistic approach to the Billy The Kid character. Original for telling the tale of Billy The Kid before he got famous. Interesting nomination, it's cool to explore different styles during this Hall of Fame.

pahaK 02-17-20 10:02 AM

Seems that I need to check this Dirty Little Billy before the countdown. Based on the reviews this far, it seems quite interesting.

John-Connor 02-17-20 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Big Gundown 1966 ‘La resa dei conti’ Directed by Sergio Sollima
(Extended US edition Blu-Ray)

Bounty hunter John Corbett (Lee van Cleef) tries to bring in wanted man Cuchillo Sanchez (Tomas Milian) in this great non-Sergio Leone spaghetti Western. With a bad ass lead actor, poster, and soundtrack.
Ennio Morricone is one of my favorite composers of all time. Love the way he incorporated the melody from the title song in different tones throughout the whole film, strengthening the cinematography.
Apparently this is one of three spaghetti westerns made by Sergio Sollima, I haven't seen the other two yet.
Because there are so many great spaghetti western films, The Big Gundown doesn't make my top five of the sub-genre but it is pretty close. A strong nomination, entertaining and enjoyable watch.

Wyldesyde19 02-17-20 06:31 PM

Meeks Cutoff
A true story of an actual expedition that claimed many lives due to the hardship they faced.
Meek was a frontiersman who offered passage for emigrants, for a few of course. Pay him and he’ll take you through the Oregon Trail to reach your destination. But one fateful day, he diverts then from the usual pass through the Oregon desert in an attempt at a shortcut, one that would come to be called Meeks Cutoff. He assured them he knew where he was going and had traveled here previously.
It quickly becomes apparent that was a lie.
Low on supplies, and more importantly, water, they come upon a native following them. They capture him, and Meeks is quick to suggest killing him. The settlers have a better idea. Take them to water and they shall let him free.
What unfolds is a story reminiscent of The Ox Bow Incident. There are no shootouts. No duels. It is a story of morality.
Meeks, played by Bruce Greenwood who completely vanishes into the role, has nothing but contempt for the Indians, and admits to his acts of barbarism towards them almost with glee. He excuses his actions as necessary.
But they need the Native. And he understands this.
Emily Tetherow, played by the winsome Michelle Williams, is no shrinking violet. She is capable of defending not only herself, but her beliefs. She’s capable of shooting and reloading a gun in rapid succession. She readily speaks her mind to her husband and verbally spars with Meeks. She sees him not so different from the supposed bloody native.
The camera captures wonderful views of the land, and magnified the harsh landscape they are lost in. If there is one issue, it is set at a deliberate slow pace that often times causes the film to suffer. Ox Bow got around this by getting straight to the point, with no preamble.
The dialogue helps set up the tension, and the inevitable clash of wills between Meeks and Mrs. Tetherow.
A solid movie and nomination.

Citizen Rules 02-18-20 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=60588
The Scalphunters (1968)

Now that's a stunt! The stuntman is actually jumping over the chasm! OMG how crazy is that. And that's what I love about older movies, you get real stunts & real locations.

I liked The Scalphunters. I know I liked it because I never checked the time remaining while watching it. It was good fun, exciting and with stunts galore... I loved the odd looking rock formations in Mexico, I'd never seen anything quite like that before. Watching a movie like this is almost like taking a vacation and seeing the countryside of some exotic locale...and all from the comfort of you home.

I know some of us didn't seem to like The Scalphunters. It's a comedy-action-western and so it has it's lighter moments at times, which for me was fine.

I thought Burt Lancaster was perfectly suited to an action comedy, his colorful personality made the film go. So did the actor who played the runaway slave, Ossie Davis. He really held his own whenever he and Lancaster had scenes together. I'm not the biggest fan of Telly Savalas and I never did like his TV show Kojak, but he did fine here. Still I wish we could've had someone more colorful to pair with Shelley Winters, say like Strother Martin. And I wish the scalp hunter crew could've had a few choice character actors who got to say a few lines.

But overall it was a good movie and a good nom...and something I'd never even heard of so thanks to Wlydesyde for finding it.