Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59710)

Citizen Rules 08-21-19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2031234)
I'm ashamed because I used to study paleontology (I wanted to be a paleontologist when I was little)!
Me too, I always thought it would've been cool to be a paleontologist or an egyptologist...Well I guess it's not too late, I could become a scientologist:eek:

But yeah, I think the whole hip-bone configuration led to the current theory that any dinosaurs that survived the "great cataclysm" evolved into modern birds.I still don't like these new theories that some dinos had feathers! It conflicts with my boyhood conceptions of giant scaly lizards! ;)
I think specifically the duck billed dinosaurs-Hadrosaurids are thought to be the genus of dinosaurs that evolved into birds.

Captain Steel 08-21-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2031241)
Me too, I always thought it would've been cool to be a paleontologist or an egyptologist...Well I guess it's not too late, I could become a scientologist:eek:

I think specifically the duck billed dinosaurs-Hadrosaurids are thought to be the genus of dinosaurs that evolved into birds.
Scientology - now there's a topic.
Haven't heard much about them since that "Going Clear" documentary and that series with Leah Remini which exposed the cult.

John McClane 08-21-19 07:52 PM

https://twitter.com/msbluekoala/stat...08260318568449

Me being an idiot :D

Captain Steel 08-21-19 09:58 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
Recession seems to be the latest cataclysm the Left wants to use against Trump even though it hasn't happened.
Racism was the word last week (which gets resurrected every few months or after any nut kills a bunch of people or after Trump tweets something stupid).
And Russian Collusion lasted 2 years.

It does seem the news cycles of the latest Leftist outrages are getting shorter and shorter.

JoaoRodrigues 08-22-19 06:42 AM

I mean, I like Trump, I like to listen to him talk, and all, his kinda funny. And I think his different in a way, his trying to keep up with the promises he made to those rednecks, that's why his going to be in office for another four years. If I think harder I'd probably vote for him if I were an American. I'd probably have a blue-collar job, like steel, and his making efforts to keep those people working, his the first guy in a long time that cared about them. They see Sanders, for instance, as some jewish old guy that is not going to care about them, and they're probably right, I don't know, or is maybe the opposite, his going to put them working on other kinds of jobs, jobs which are more relevant in a long-term solution. Trump was every redneck dream, and they're stereotypical stupid and dumb, that's in a way why they've voted for him, because they care about what he shows, not what he his. When you destroy the middle class, when poverty is growing worldwide, when a tiny sector of the population have all the wealth, when the term persona is more usual than ever, you turn the TV and everything seems trained actors acting, you get Trump's, people decisions are just an reaction to the ongoing events. They're tired of well dressed, well haired, well smelled, very fuc*able persons, it seems fake, and what they do seems fake as well, so, give me Trump's.

Sedai 08-23-19 02:17 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
Love him or hate him, it's Mr. Dan Crenshaw, talking about various subjects on Rogan's pod cast. Skip to around the 1 hour mark for the gun-related commentary. I was glad to see them bring up all the drugs that were given to kids starting in the late 80s and early 90s, which I think have had a big impact on the mentality of these shooters. This needs to be talked about more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIWrmgPNUqQ&t=1077s

cricket 08-23-19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2031604)
Love him or hate him, it's Mr. Dan Crenshaw, talking about various subjects on Rogan's pod cast. Skip to around the 1 hour mark for the gun-related commentary. I was glad to see them bring up all the drugs that were given to kids starting in the late 80s and early 90s, which I think have had a big impact on the mentality of these shooters. This needs to be talked about more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIWrmgPNUqQ&t=1077s
I really like him from what I've seen. Future Pres?

Captain Steel 08-23-19 09:57 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
I want to know how that eye patch stays on.
Is it attached to his ear on the other side (because there's no string like on most eye patches)?
Looking at his background, he's like a real-life Nick Fury. ;)

Citizen Rules 08-23-19 10:17 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
What do we all think of the death penalty for convicted 1st degree murders? And does Trump have a stance on that? I'm sure the Dem candidates are all against.

Captain Steel 08-24-19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2031730)
What do we all think of the death penalty for convicted 1st degree murders? And does Trump have a stance on that? I'm sure the Dem candidates are all against.
My personal view of the death penalty is only in cases where the proof is irrefutable, guilt can be confirmed on multiple levels, and there is absolutely no doubt.

Now, that's a bit complicated because jury verdicts of guilty are supposed to be beyond a shadow of a doubt (but we've all seen how juries operate and they can be imperfect in their conclusions or even influenced by internal or outside forces - take for instance the turn around of events depicted in @Citizen Rules's favorite movie 12 Angry Men!) ;)

But I'm talking cases where there were multiple witnesses to the murder(s), there's no question about the evidence or where you even have a confession (which alone would constitute nothing as many weirdos have confessed to crimes they didn't commit), or cases where the murders were public, there's no doubt to the killer's identity or they were caught red handed and no one else could have possibly done it.

Yoda 08-25-19 11:45 AM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
So, the responses over the last week are kinda all over the place. It sounds like it might be an honest attempt to reset the discussion a little. If so, that's nice to hear. I'm traveling in a few days so I might not reply for awhile, but I'll do my best to do so shortly after I get back.

Citizen Rules 08-25-19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2031935)
So, the responses over the last week are kinda all over the place. It sounds like it might be an honest attempt to reset the discussion a little. If so, that's nice to hear. I'm traveling in a few days so I might not reply for awhile, but I'll do my best to do so shortly after I get back.
:up:Thanks Yoda

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2031747)
My personal view of the death penalty is only in cases where the proof is irrefutable, guilt can be confirmed on multiple levels, and there is absolutely no doubt.
I'd agree with that, and with the stipulations that you stated. When I was in my 20s I was opposed to the death penalty for ethic reasons. But now that I'm older I've flipped my position on it...go figure! However I'm not into trying to convince anyone to change their mind or anything like that. I was just curious if the death penalty question was still on peoples minds today.

...take for instance the turn around of events depicted in @Citizen Rules's favorite movie 12 Angry Men!) ;)
Well, that's a good example as many people have seen 12 Angry Men...However don't ask me any specifics about the movie because I've forgotten much of it. But let's say he was found guilty, in that case I would not be for the death penalty as most of the evidence against him was hearsay & eye witness accounts. I don't know what the opinion of eye witness testimony was when 12 Angry Men came out, but I believe it's generally been shown not to be 100% reliable, as the human mind has a way of remember things differently than they actually happened.

John McClane 08-31-19 06:59 PM

https://twitter.com/cp24/status/1167887134167982081

Easily the oddest picture to come out of that event

EDIT: Also, I am 100% anti-death penalty. I do not believe governments should be in the business of killing people.

Captain Steel 09-01-19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2033277)
https://twitter.com/cp24/status/1167887134167982081

Easily the oddest picture to come out of that event

EDIT: Also, I am 100% anti-death penalty. I do not believe governments should be in the business of killing people.
Did the Straight Pride Parade actually take place?
I remember hearing about it, but thought it was just an idea designed to counter the concept of celebrations based on sexual orientations.

cricket 09-04-19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2033305)
Did the Straight Pride Parade actually take place?
I remember hearing about it, but thought it was just an idea designed to counter the concept of celebrations based on sexual orientations.
About 36 moron protesters got arrested, too bad they didn't get pepper sprayed on video. That being said, I think it was antagonistic to organize the thing in the first place. I don't like any of the identity politics. They should still have the same right as the gay parade, which I've been to a couple of times. If people aren't hurting anyone and aren't condemning anyone then wtf is the need to protest.

Captain Steel 09-04-19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2034042)
About 36 moron protesters got arrested, too bad they didn't get pepper sprayed on video. That being said, I think it was antagonistic to organize the thing in the first place. I don't like any of the identity politics. They should still have the same right as the gay parade, which I've been to a couple of times. If people aren't hurting anyone and aren't condemning anyone then wtf is the need to protest.
I did see a clip of it on YouTube and irony of irony... Milo Yiannopoulos was the Grand Marshall! (For those who don't know, Yiannopoulos is a far-right British political commentator who is also flamboyantly gay.)

Okay, I don't know if he was actually the Grand Marshall, but he was in the parade and riding a float part of the time.

I draw parallels between this and the so-called Women's march (organized by a Sharia Law supporter - one of the most misogynistic systems in the world!) The Women's march wasn't really a women's march (really, what do women in the west have to protest? Equality is on the books). It was an anti-Trump march and that's all it was.

In the same way this "Straight Pride Parade" was really a far-right pro-Trump march.

Roy C. 09-06-19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2031730)
What do we all think of the death penalty for convicted 1st degree murders? And does Trump have a stance on that? I'm sure the Dem candidates are all against.

The problem with the death penalty is it just doesn't happen fast enough, and it unfortunately costs taxpayers more money to kill someone on death row than to house them in jail for a lifetime. Don't know why though. If the death penalty for 1st degree murders were mandated nationwide, and the execution process were speedy, maybe there would be less killings. Regardless, I'm in favor of the death penalty in accordance with the terms laid out by Captain Steel. Thing is, with the increasing population, that means an increasing criminal population. So more jail space will be needed, which we don't and shouldn't have. And where's the justice? An inmate, particularly one from a street gang, can enjoy a cozy life in prison. He/she has room and board, food, recreational activities, and fellow gang members to socialize with. They get to shoot the breeze every day, all while their victims remain dead and unavenged. What ever happened to eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth?

Roy C. 09-06-19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2033277)
Also, I am 100% anti-death penalty. I do not believe governments should be in the business of killing people.
Governments don't need the death penalty to be in that business.

cricket 09-08-19 12:02 AM

Just saw that liar Christine Blasey Ford's name in the news again

JoaoRodrigues 09-08-19 01:43 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
my approach on much things is nihilistic. deathís the same. for me īīultimately nothing is important``, the great harry dean stanton said that. if death is not important ultimately to me, the killer, the deceased and whoever kills the killer are as equal unimportant. the only thing making death important is our fear of what comes after it. those fears are exponentiated by the conventions we created and we shared true out history. you take that away and whoever born and died are ultimately and scientifically energy that can't be created or destroyed. this is my philosophical approach and i have a hard time making a distinction between this and anything else, because this approach refutes anything else i can have to say. if i try to put that aside, historically death penalty is very old testament. the old testament says: īīan eye for an eyeī`, or īīwho kills by the swords, dies by the sword`` and people use it when it fits, when it doesnít they just say: look at the commandments; there youíll see: īīyou shall not kill``. this doesnít have any type of relevance, because it was created by the man for the man, but people, this is the base of it, the pillar of death penalty. you can argue and say: no justice is the pillar, not the bible. well, whatís our deep down base for justice? whatís our definition of justice? itís not doing to someone else what we wouldnít like to be done to us. now, if weíre talking in the case of murder. why wouldnít we like that to be done to us? and again iíd point to my thought on it philosophically and thatís why i canít make a distinction between both, because ultimately is where you arrive. if you agree the pillar for death penalty is religion, if you look at the history of the catholic religion, youíll see that it was created by the rich and powerful during a time of protests, famine, hunger, diseases, brutalization and that was there attempt to control the people so they donít turn everything into an anarchy where death had the non-importance they wouldnít want it to have, they would kill them, and they didnít want to die. talking about it socially, institutionally. it have higher costs to the tax payers because the inmates have better conditions, if a person gets hurt, there health is compromised it canít be killed by the state, so they have to monitorize the inmate, sometimes it takes half there life for them to be killed. you can argue: what about killing them sooner? and those who are released after forty years waiting to be killed? this is a subject with a lot of different interpretations, and opinions can change if you take in considerations the various angles of looking at the subject. i could talk much more about this, seeing this from another angle, but you donít deserve the pain of reading the crap i write.

JoaoRodrigues 09-16-19 05:45 AM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
https://i.imgur.com/XJV6DnU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Br8xKON.jpg

Yoda 09-16-19 09:23 AM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
What exactly are those designed to spark, discussion-wise? You seem to go back and forth from thoughtful to thoughtless (spending a lot more time on the latter). I was getting ready to respond to this thread again, but stuff like this makes me think it's just going to result in the same kind of brush-offs and roundabouts I got the last time.

There really doesn't seem to be any theme other than, left to your own devices, you'll just post really glib generalizations about America, without really knowing much of anything about what life here is actually like. The ratio of claims to knowledge is completely out of whack.

JoaoRodrigues 09-16-19 11:40 AM

Designed to spark either love, hate or indifference, either one, i'm okay with it. Like the crazy mother f*cker osho said: i want you to either hate me, or love me. I love to disturb people, because, only by disturbing them, i can make them think.

Yoda 09-16-19 12:08 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
Punching someone in the face sparks a reaction, too. That's a pretty low bar to clear. Hell, it's what trolls do.

Maybe we should strive to spark a particular kind of reaction. Like a good, thoughtful reaction that promotes discussion, as opposed to anything. I don't know why just sparking any reaction--even hate--would be considered a noble goal.

And no, just because you've disturbed or annoyed someone, it doesn't mean you've made them think. Not in any deep, meaningful sense.

Sedai 09-16-19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roy C. (Post 2034261)
Governments don't need the death penalty to be in that business.
I would amend MClane's statement to say "shouldn't be in the business of killing its own citizens."

John McClane 09-16-19 01:24 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
^

Basically, the justice system shouldn't treat death as something that can be codified (who can and can't be killed, what method can and can't be used/etc). It's a slippery slope.

JoaoRodrigues 09-17-19 05:59 AM

Living in America! Uh!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_...tm_name=iossmf

cricket 09-17-19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2036233)
That has nothing to do with America. I'm pretty sure you can find injustices committed by people against others in every country. What country do you live in? I'm sure I could look up a few examples.

Yoda 09-17-19 01:06 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
I think we've established that Joao has no understanding of (or interest in) scale or percentages relative to population size, even though that's pretty much the very first thing you need to consider when measuring whether a country has a systemic problem with something.

Yoda 09-17-19 01:25 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
BTW, that shouldn't be taken for a suggestion that we don't have a police brutality problem. Something's definitely wrong. But I don't see the point of trying to discuss it with someone who continually tries to extrapolate individual events to hundreds of millions of people and goes full-relativism on truth itself when you introduce an actual statistic into the discussion.

John McClane 09-17-19 02:15 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
Agreed. It'd be just as fallace if I said we don't have a police brutality because I've never been beaten by a cop.

NOTE: This is not an invitation for any of you LEOs out there...

Yoda 09-17-19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2036295)
Agreed. It'd be just as fallace if I said we don't have a police brutality because I've never been beaten by a cop.
Exactly. Both are just straight innumeracy.

John McClane 09-17-19 02:51 PM

Did you say innumeracy?
That **** pure lunacy!

EDIT: Couldn't resist. Not sorry. :lol:

Citizen Rules 09-17-19 03:06 PM

Some food for thought:
There are over 18,000 Federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies around the United States, and it is estimated that there are between 750,000 and 850,000 sworn officers.
and...
Police Make More Than 10 Million Arrests a Year...
Add to those equations, the almost instant coverage of botched police arrest due to cable news media and internet social sites and it's not surprising that a few high profile police mistakes will make headlines in a big way.

That doesn't mean that police departments shouldn't be learning from any and all mistakes, and they should try to improve on their arrest procedures. But it's not surpassing with 10,000 million arrest that some problems will arise.

JoaoRodrigues 09-17-19 04:25 PM

Where do i live in? Portugal. You won't find much, believe me. Cops here can't shoot people, they just can't, they're arrested for it. A police officer here was persecuting a van that participated in a robbery, the van was speeding entering a town with people that could be run over, the police officer took the gun, aimed at the tires and accidentally shooted a little bit up because of a bump on the street; he killed a gypsy kid on the back of the van, he didn't knew he was in there, his father brought him to the robbery. He got to pay a huge pile of money and got arrested for 20 years or something. And that was a gypsy kid, you don't live in europe, you just don't understand how nobody gives a flying f*ck about gypsies, nobody likes them. Madonna came here and wanted her bodyguards to wear weapons. We said: "this ain't wild west honey", and she got rejected of course. Even the prime minister bodyguards can't use weapons. Yes, we have some officers with brutality in some of the minorities neighborhoods, and that was something that the TV broadcasts and some protests on the street took care of, at least some bit. I didn't said that was america, i say: living in america. I'm a sarcastic kind of guy, so i remembered that song by james brown. And that ain't people against people, that is a police officer against a civilian, a black civilian that is very important in the equation.

Captain Steel 09-17-19 04:34 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
That video was a terrible thing to watch!
We don't get the full context as we can't see what led up to it, but if it is what it appears to be, I hope the victim gets set for life with a lawsuit that will sustain him and his family for the rest of their days.

cricket 09-17-19 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2036323)
Where do i live in? Portugal. You won't find much, believe me. Cops here can't shoot people, they just can't, they're arrested for it. A police officer here was persecuting a van that participated in a robbery, the van was speeding entering a town with people that could be run over, the police officer took the gun, aimed at the tires and accidentally shooted a little bit up because of a bump on the street; he killed a gypsy kid on the back of the van, he didn't knew he was in there, his father brought him to the robbery. He got to pay a huge pile of money and got arrested for 20 years or something. And that was a gypsy kid, you don't live in europe, you just don't understand how nobody gives a flying f*ck about gypsies, nobody likes them. Madonna came here and wanted her bodyguards to wear weapons. We said: "this ain't wild west honey", and she got rejected of course. Even the prime minister bodyguards can't use weapons. Yes, we have some officers with brutality in some of the minorities neighborhoods, and that was something that the TV broadcasts and some protests on the street took care of, at least some bit. I didn't said that was america, i say: living in america. I'm a sarcastic kind of guy, so i remembered that song by james brown. And that ain't people against people, that is a police officer against a civilian, a black civilian that is very important in the equation.
A black man is about 2.5 times more likely than a white man to be killed by police. That's a low number when you realize 13% of the population is responsible for 50% of the murders. The best predictor of police violence, warranted or otherwise, is criminality, not race.

As Yoda said, this is not to say that police brutality isn't a problem. It is, but it is overblown.

Portugal is a small country and I've heard good things. The first thing I saw, and I only read the headline, was a group of 8 cops kidnapping and beating some people. Maybe that's rare, but it seems like the type of corruption and collusion amongst authority that you wouldn't find here.

JoaoRodrigues 09-17-19 06:27 PM

And why exactly is the black community the one with 50% of all murders? Thatís the question people know the answer but donít do nothing about it. I judge countryís based on how they take care of there minorityís.

Portugal was rated the second safest country in the world once, now is forth I think, some American tourist couple got surprised the other day on how our police took care of a theft. Apparently a black man stole an American couple, a police officer saw the situation, and took care of it like you do with a child that takes something that doesnít belong to her, they were so surprised, they said in America they would probably shoot the guy.

That case, Iím not sure if itís the same, but police in here like to catch delinquents that simply arenít put in jail by the judges for small crimes and beat them up, it went bad this time, there were a lot of protests on the streets, those communities did acts of vandalism like in France some months ago, to say: ďwe can be disturbing if we want toĒ, and things calmed down. We have much more cases of those communities beating cops with impunity, but in here we know that retribution will only make things worse, for instance, you canít kill a robber in here, even if he have a gun, some people canít understand this, but if the robber knew the owner could kill him he would go to the robbery with an intention of killing or be killed, and thatís one of the reasons you donít have people being killed in robberyís. We are a very racist country, but most people wonít agree with that.

cricket 09-17-19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2036353)
And why exactly is the black community the one with 50% of all murders?
I don't know. Why is it?

Captain Steel 09-17-19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2034707)
Just saw that liar Christine Blasey Ford's name in the news again
Probably because of Blasey-Ford's lawyer's (Deborah Katz) telling admission as to the hidden agendas & motivations of her client...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWxmMYDF6m8

Particularly current what with the conspiracy against Kavanaugh back in the news AGAIN!

7thson 09-28-19 08:09 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
The current political climate is worse than ever. Hard to even comment in detail, but I am not happy with my goverment as a whole right now.

7thson 11-13-19 11:06 AM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
What a media circus today is.

JoaoRodrigues 11-15-19 11:11 AM

10 Attachment(s)
And since this is a movie forum, and this seems to be the political thread.

Here's Bong Joon Ho, the author of the acclaimed movie Parasites.












There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! (...) There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today.

Ned Beatty: Arthur Jensen, Network (1976)

Yoda 11-15-19 11:12 AM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
As someone who has not seen Parasite but is very much looking forward to it, will reading that spoil the movie in any way (even a small way)?

Yoda 11-15-19 11:14 AM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
I saw the word "capitalism" in there so I'm assuming there's some kind of critique. To which I'd say, the evidence that capitalism has alleviated poverty more than anything else humans has ever devised is overwhelming, and any critiques of it are invariably based on taking all that for granted and/or having no sense of how things were and are without it.

JoaoRodrigues 11-15-19 12:33 PM

We born free and we spend our lives earning it, that's capitalism. And by the way, I have nothing against capitalism, I think it might be one of the ways of reaching freedom, I mean, I contemplate that hypothesis, like the 13th century Portuguese's did (Island of Love, according to Luis de Caműes), they believed in the age of the Holy Spirit. When that age arrives (now entering it) all children's would born to be free, consequently be able to be infinitely spontaneous, imaginative, to dream and one day be able to direct the world, in second place, life should be free for everyone, that would eradicate crime, that is also in Tao Te Ching. Overall, the point of capitalism be, lead the society to full development, and economy no longer be needed. People would simply born to create. Is one way of looking at it, and I acknowledge it. It's a beautiful way, in my opinion.

JoaoRodrigues 11-15-19 12:36 PM

@Yoda I don't think it will spoil. When you see it, you'll understand almost immediately the author's point.
The movie is not just about capitalism, he made that remark considering Korea, but he realized that's global.

Yoda 11-15-19 12:38 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
Got it, thank you for clarifying.

John McClane 11-15-19 12:51 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
True freedom comes from escaping capitalism. Then capitalism recaptures what was once free. And the process starts all over again.

I honestly believe that capitalism is the end of history. Like there's no place to advance from it. It is the human spirit in totality.

matt72582 11-15-19 01:04 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
The US system would work if we ensured the basics. It would barely put a dent in the billionaire's pockets, and I think people would be happier, which bring less crime, and maybe some common direction, instead of basically killing each other for money, power, attention, etc.

JoaoRodrigues 11-15-19 02:41 PM

Itís hard for me not to go all nihilistic on all this, itís not because Iím trying to avoid responsibility, or being self-centered, is because, uh, look, my definition of someone wise is, he who attempts to see all the angles without closing the door to a new one, and I try to see all the angles, all the possibilities, but unfortunately my door is closed, the more I dig into a subject, the nucleus, I end up with that, ultimately, not being important. Einstein said: It is a wonderful feeling to recognize the unity of a complex of phenomena that to direct observation appear to be quite separate things. What, because of our education, differentiates us from everything else is our ability to be conscious, our intellect, and that same ability is the one that makes us question, analyze everything else, and establish whatever weíve established, but that ability ultimately doesnít make us more or less important. You might disagree and say: of course it does, we can determine the faith of our childrenís, how can you be so egoistic, we can determinate the faith of our planet, weíre more important than all the other species. Iíve said it before, even if we destroy the planet, we will go instinct and he will probably reconstruct itself, might take millions of years, but it will, and if it doesnít, thatís not really a problem, because problem is created by human conscience, so there is no problem. Weíre in a constant fight to overcome what we think is our limitation of mortality and of controlling the uncontrollable, nature, and weíre a small, very small dot in the history of this planet, and even a smaller dot in the history of the universe. Analyzing the present, this planet is a very small dot in the universe, this galaxy is one of the possibly 100 billion. For some people that is scary, I think that should liberate us. I donít see any of this as negative, I see as positive, thatís why I like zen, it makes us understand that we must des-understand, it makes us be aware of that Einstein quotation.

Now talking about the subject, capitalism. I think everyone that either is against or in favor of capitalism have to acknowledge that, by you simply be reading this message youíre already part of it, indirectly, but you are. Some American said not that long ago: This is the best time in the history of civilization to be alive. His probably right, but that is correct for us, us sitting, writing in a movie forum, our fridge with fruits from all continents, our wifeís with affordable jewelry from africanís 21 century mining slaves, our gas cheap from exploitation of 3rd world countries to keep the oil price barrel stabilized, a part of the reason 3rd world exists is because we need them that way, but the problem in civilization has always been extremism, and now we have extreme poverty and extreme richness, and everything exists in a contrast with something else, you donít know white without knowing black. I think Charles Bukowski said it best: beware of those that either detest poverty or are proud of it. The problem we face is in absurd distribution of wealth, itís inequality, and Iím not sure if capitalism alone is responsible for that, Iím not sure if thatís not human nature being faithful to human nature. I think, that the way I think is possible because of capitalism in some ways.

ynwtf 11-15-19 05:57 PM

Re: Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left
 
@JoaoRodrigues
Whether I agree or not, I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for taking the time to provide more context to your views.


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright, ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Movie Forums