Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best Picture Oscar 2014 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=34480)

Holden Pike 01-16-14 09:57 AM

Best Picture Oscar 2014

5 Attachment(s)
Which will win The Academy's top prize?

American Hustle Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club Gravity Her
Nebraska Philomena 12 Years a Slave The Wolf of Wall Street

Skepsis93 01-16-14 10:07 AM

Re: Best Picture Oscar 2014

I figure this is 12 Years a Slave's to lose, and I wouldn't be disappointed to see it take it - it's a great film even though I think I preferred American Hustle slightly. Still need to see a few - namely Nebraska, Captain Phillips and Philomena, the latter of which is definitely a surprise to see.

Regarding snubs: there isn't really any, from what I've seen. Inside Llewyn Davis maybe, though I still need to see it. Would have loved to see two of my favourites of the year - Frances Ha and Saving Mr. Banks - but they were crazy long shots anyway, especially the former. I had hopes for Blue Jasmine and Before Midnight too, but again, pipe dreams.

BlueLion 01-16-14 10:12 AM

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street (had to postpone this), Her and Gravity before I can vote. I think it's between 12 Years a Slave and Gravity, personally.

Holden Pike 01-16-14 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
As always, you may use this poll to vote for what you WANT to win or what you THINK will win. Dealer's choice. The Academy won't be using our votes, either way. :)

rauldc14 01-16-14 10:36 AM

12 Years a Slave will win. I haven't seen it yet, but there's really no way it loses, to be honest. We pretty much know how these sorts of things work.

Upton 01-16-14 10:54 AM

First year since they've expanded the best picture field where not a single movie is horrible. Also the first year where I've seen every nominee before they were announced. For s's and g's , ranked from best to worst

1) Her
2) The Wolf of Wall Street
3) Nebraska
4) 12 Years A Slave
5) Gravity
6) Philomena
7) American Hustle
8) Captain Phillips
9) Dallas Buyers Club

Her, TWoWS and maaaaybe Nebraska are the only ones I really feel strongly about but ya, deep year overall.

Daniel M 01-16-14 10:59 AM

I've always thought that it might be American Hustle, but I've given in and switched my vote to 12 Years a Slave as after the last week or two it really does look too strong to lose, bet I'll regret this :p

rauldc14 01-16-14 11:07 AM

I want American Hustle to win, but naturally there's no shot. Just like Silver Linings, The Descendants, etc. etc.

mark f 01-16-14 11:46 AM

You guys take a lot for granted.

Pussy Galore 01-16-14 01:56 PM

I'll go Gravity. It's the most unique and impressive film of the year.

RepentantSky 01-16-14 04:08 PM

Just a thought but best song and score are missing. If there's anything else besides those two they all need to be added in.

seanc 01-16-14 08:00 PM

Gravity was so amazing, I wish it could pull of the upset. Seems like its 12 Years though. I still can't believe I missed out on Nebraska before the awards. Have not watched Philomena either.

Powdered Water 01-16-14 11:29 PM

Joaquin Phoenix still enjoying his retirement I see. I haven't seen a thing this year. Still looking forward to Hustle and Gravity though.

Monkeypunch 01-16-14 11:35 PM

Haven't seen any of these, sadly. I want to see American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street very soon, though.

Miss Vicky 01-16-14 11:43 PM

Of the nominated films, I've seen American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club, Her, 12 Years a Slave and The Wolf of Wall Street.

I suspect that, of those, 12 Years A Slave is the most likely to take the win, though I think it's one of the least deserving.

mojofilter 01-17-14 12:41 AM

12 Years a Slave is a guaranteed win.

The Gunslinger45 01-18-14 12:23 PM

The real contenders for this award are American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave who have some momentum from the Golden Globes.

Philomena, Her, and Nebraska have not reached the levels of the other nominations (though I have not seen Nebraska or Philomena because they are not playing at my theater).

The Academy loves to give Scorsese nominations, but hate giving his movies Oscars for best picture. :mad: So Wolf of Wall Street is out even though it was my favorite film of the year.

The Academy also has yet to give a best picture award to a sci-fi movie, and I doubt it will change it's ways for Gravity (though it REALLY does deserve it).

I doubt they will give it to Captain Phillips (which has a more then likely unintentional pro gun message),

And as we learned from the 78th Academy awards, when given the choice between a movie dealing with gay themes and another film with racism; white guilty will win the day. So I doubt Dallas Buyers Club will win. Which is sad since I liked it more then the two front runners.

So between American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave, I am saying 12 Years a Slave will win due to Academy politics.

But if I was voting? Wolf of Wall Street all the way!

rauldc14 01-18-14 12:39 PM

Gravity is highly deserving of the award and would be my pick. Too bad I'm alone in that thought and I don't have an academy vote.

Cobpyth 01-18-14 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1019407)
Gravity is highly deserving of the award and would be my pick. Too bad I'm alone in that thought and I don't have an academy vote.
I don't think you're alone. Gravity has the second (maybe third) highest chance of winning.

rauldc14 01-18-14 12:42 PM

Kind of sad how predictable it has gotten. This poll goes to show it.