Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it true that you can understand movies with the sound off? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61588)

ironpony 05-22-20 01:59 PM

Is it true that you can understand movies with the sound off?

I've heard that before in a filmmaking course I took, that even without dialogue, a good movie you will still understand. Do you think that's true though?

There are foreign language films I wanted to see but there was no English subtitle release available, so I wonder if it's true, do I really need subtitles then, and should just watch the movies, without needing to understand the dialogue. Unless that's not true, and dialogue is necessary?

hell_storm2004 05-22-20 02:03 PM

Re: Is it true that you can understand movies with the sound off?

Probably... But never tried it. But movie like the Big Sleep, good luck with that.

Yoda 05-22-20 02:06 PM

I mean, why not just try it and tell us?

Stirchley 05-22-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2093463)
I've heard that before in a filmmaking course I took, that even without dialogue, a good movie you will still understand. Do you think that's true though?
Silent movies were tremendously popular & they had no audible dialogue. (Personally, I hate silent movies.)

Wyldesyde19 05-22-20 02:30 PM

Haha! You guys have once again fallen for his tricks!
You’ve all forgotten the most important lesson of all!
And that is....never answer a thread started by Ironpony! Mwahahaha!

*again, I’m just joking here. Don’t take it personal please 😜

ironpony 05-22-20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2093482)
Silent movies were tremendously popular & they had no audible dialogue. (Personally, I hate silent movies.)
Yeah but they still had a certain amount of subtitles though to bridge the gaps.

Stirchley 05-22-20 02:40 PM

⬆️ They did, but very minimal, I think. I mean 2 actors could be talking to each other for 5 minutes & nobody would have a clue what they were saying. Ugh, I hate silent movies.

Citizen Rules 05-22-20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2093486)
Haha! You guys have once again fallen for his tricks!
You’ve all forgotten the most important lesson of all!
And that is....never answer a thread started by Ironpony! Mwahahaha!

*again, I’m just joking here. Don’t take it personal please 😜
:D Seriously though, if it wasn't for Ironpony, conversation would be lessened. It's hard to get a convo going unless it's a hot button topic. So I say bless Ironpony's ferrum heart:)

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2093490)
Silent movies...Yeah but they still had a certain amount of subtitles though to bridge the gaps.
True...and also: silent films are constructed, directed and acted much differently than a sound film.

ynwtf 05-22-20 03:06 PM

I swear I had a dream in which I read this thread before. I believe I responded something like, "I'm not sure one could call spaghetti, spaghetti, without the pasta." But sure. You could still eat something. It's subjective. Like. Every. Other. Question. Ever.

What are your thoughts, @ironpony? Flip a switch and is it still recognizable? Baser emotions sure. Subtly? Not so sure. Something about communication norms. Something about how people typically interact with other people. Of how others observe and adapt to such interactions. Something something about experience and insight from that experience. Like, assimilation and accommodation stuffs.

What areyour thoughts?

Eh. that's all I got.

skizzerflake 05-22-20 03:19 PM

Yes and no. Silents were made with that in mind, but even they had inter titles. In recent times, however, not just dialog but also sound FX have become a huge part of the movie, as is the music. It's all meant to be part of the whole. In the sound era, actors learned to tone down their body language in comparison to their silent predecessors and focus on words. Even if you can understand main direction of what's going on, generally the "Why?" part of that is revealed in dialog and, I know something bad is about to happen because of the creepy turn in the music and I know when to startle when the big boom happens and I know that an argument is starting from the tone of voices. I imagine that movies would miss a lot for the hearing impaired since sound often conveys a lot of the emotional tone of the scene.

resopamenic 05-22-20 03:29 PM

"it depends"

Iroquois 05-22-20 03:40 PM

If you hear something like that in a filmmaking course, I think it's meant to encourage would-be filmmakers to get creative with their visual storytelling rather than just settling for having characters talk a bunch in a way that is dull to watch.

ynwtf 05-22-20 03:51 PM

I promise I'm not stalking you.

hell_storm2004 05-22-20 05:53 PM

If its just conversations... I wonder what people would have thought of Travolta/Jackson talk burgers with the volume off. A lot of Tarantino's would be plain garbage then

ironpony 05-22-20 05:55 PM

Oh okay. Well I want to see the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso, for example, but cannot find a subtitled version of that cut anywhere. Do you think that I should just watch it without, and I will understand, or do I need subtitles to fully enjoy that?

hell_storm2004 05-22-20 05:55 PM

Silent movies were watchable coz the people who made it knew that people wouldn't hear anything so told the story in a different way. But yes visually if you keep staring, I think you still would be able to make out what the actor is trying to portray. Unless it's Kirsten Stewart.

MovieGal 05-22-20 05:55 PM

If the movie is well done, whether with the sound off or in a foreign language, I believe you can understand what is going on.

I'm sure it would be that way with "Jagten" (2012), sound off and no subtitles, you can obviously tell what takes place and enjoy the film.

Stirchley 05-22-20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 (Post 2093572)
If its just conversations... I wonder what people would have thought of Travolta/Jackson talk burgers with the volume off. A lot of Tarantino's would be plain garbage then
A movie is nothing without a good script. Pulp Fiction has a wonderful script. And Reservoir Dogs without its excellent script would be nothing.

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2093573)
Oh okay. Well I want to see the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso, for example, but cannot find a subtitled version of that cut anywhere. Do you think that I should just watch it without, and I will understand, or do I need subtitles to fully enjoy that?
I won’t watch anything without subtitles. No matter the language. I don’t want to miss a single nuance.

ironpony 05-22-20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2093581)
A movie is nothing without a good script. Pulp Fiction has a wonderful script. And Reservoir Dogs without its excellent script would be nothing.

I won’t watch anything without subtitles. No matter the language. I don’t want to miss a single nuance.
Yes those are good points, I wouldn't want to miss some of the dialog in those movies. But I guess Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs would still make sense with the sound turned off?

hell_storm2004 05-22-20 06:43 PM

The last half of Dogs, is all talk when the torture begins. So I don't think it would make any sense. Pulp Fiction, the whole movie would go over someone's head without dialogues. Tarantino's movies are told via conversations. Take Hateful Eight for example. None of it would make sense, without the words. And especially that frontier justice thing by Tim Roth. Muito Bonito!