Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Overpriced Fear and Loathing DVD? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=10634)

_fearandloathing_ 07-19-05 12:22 AM

this sux- help!

Ok, so I went downtown today to Virgin Records(big ass cd, movie etc. store in case you haven't heard of it) and I was looking for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I mean, if that huge place didnt have it, who would right? So, I go there and the guy tells me that they only have it in the criterion addition (which has lots of extras- but is $55!:eek:) and he also says they stopped making the regular addition DVD a few years ago! Now, I really just want the movie, and im sure if i look on ebay or something I could find it, but I don't really want to order it. I also think those special edition DVDs are scams, but I think Ill make a different topic for that lol:p So, do you think its worth the $55? Maybe if someone has it they can tell me how good it is:D

Holden Pike 07-19-05 01:23 AM

"This is bat country."

Originally Posted by _fearandloathing_
So, do you think [the Criterion Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is] worth the $55? Maybe if someone has it they can tell me how good it is?
What is that $55; Canadian?

http://www.jump-cut.de/loathing.gif

Anyway, YES, the Criterion special edition of Gilliam's Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is very much worth the higher price tag. Some Criterion discs have slightly inflated prices simply due to their not having much of a catalogue and needing to purchase the rights to the movies they feature on their discs. But usually when they do a multi-disc edition of a film, they put a heck of a lot of time and care into it. Fear & Loathing is one of those.

The movie itself is a sparkling transfer audio and video-wise. There are THREE different audio commentary tracks: one with Gilliam (who is great, as usual - I think he does the very best commentaries in the biz), one with Depp and Benicio, and a third with Hunter S. Thompson himself!

To me that alone makes it worth the money, but that's all on the first disc. The second disc is packed full of features, including Depp reading some of his letters to and from Hunter during the pre and post-production process, a run-down on the controvesry over on-screen credit arbitration that ultimately caused Gilliam to destroy his Writers Guild of America membership card in disgust and protest, a 1978 BBC documentary with Hunter and artist Ralph Steadman about the stalled attempts to bring Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas to the screen way back then, and a featurette called "Hunter Goes Hollywood" with some behind-the-scenes goings on during Hunter's cameo in the film. And that's not even all the extras, just the ones I like the most. There's also a nice booklet with a nice essay/review of the film by J. Hoberman and a couple pieces by Hunter Thompson.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/productimages/front/28819.jpg

So, yeah....I recommend it as a purchase. For everybody, actually. Great movie, great DVD.

*Yeah, this should be in the DVD forum. And no, it shouldn't have such a general and non-descript title.

_fearandloathing_ 07-19-05 04:51 AM

thanx;) good to know it would be worth the 50 bucks if and when I get it

Sedai 07-19-05 10:32 AM

Oh hell yes. I own this DVD (which you can get for 29$ online) and it is WELL worth it. I am a Gilliam nut anyway, but this film is, as Holden pointed out, given the royal treatment here. My recommendation? Buy it online. If you are nervous about making a purchase online, don';t be, as it actually a bit more secure than handing your credit card to some kid behind a counter. The Criterion stuff is well worth it, for the most part.

Here is the DVD for 29 bucks...

Holden Pike 07-19-05 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai
(which you can get for 35$ online)
Here is the DVD for 29 bucks...
Check the profile: _fearandloathing_ is Canadian. That $55 up in British Columbia is the equivalent of $45 American. And that's even a discounted price, more than 10%off as the actual Canadian retail tag is $62.98, or $51.50 in U.S. dollars.

Yeah, the exchange rate is a bitch.

Lester Burnham 07-19-05 12:50 PM

I was after the movie on DVD but a couple of weeks ago I popped to a local car boot sale and found it on VHS for 50p- Bargain. I do generally buy most films on DVD but I thought why not.

Yoda 07-19-05 02:19 PM

Slightly off-topic: I've moved this thread to the DVD Questions/Information forum, and changed the title. Goodness, people, what makes you think "this sux-help!" is a good, accurate, descriptive title for any thread? Sheesh.

Sedai 07-19-05 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Check the profile: _fearandloathing_ is Canadian. That $55 up in British Columbia is the equivalent of $45 American. And that's even a discounted price, more than 10%off as the actual Canadian retail tag is $62.98, or $51.50 in U.S. dollars.

Yeah, the exchange rate is a bitch.
Profile? For what now? The site I linked has the disc for 28.72 US dollars, and when I switch to Canadian dollars using the on site converter, the price goes to 35.88 CAN. Was that post for me? Not seeing what you are getting at here... Humidity is getting to me today...

EDIT - I get it, you meant the USER _fearnandloathing_
All set now. Pardon my lapse ;)

Anyway, that site offers cheap shipping to Canada, so she should be able to get the disc for a good price :)