Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Captain Marvel (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59089)

yellowjacket1 03-10-19 03:18 PM

Captain Marvel

Forget politics, the movie itself is just bland.

On my “Best Comic Book Movies of All-Time” list I place Captain Marvel at #36. Shows you the extent of its blandness. It’s not offensively bad but it is annoyingly below average. Better than such things as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Rise of the Silver Surfer but not by much. Captain Marvel being close to that quality is a stunning turn for the MCU and certainly the worst effort the studio has produced in their existence.

In a strange analogy, Captain Marvel is to Marvel Studios what the Vietnam War was to America. Controversial endeavor that the powers to be deemed necessary but overall detrimental. To quote Bill Murray’s Stripes: “We've been kickin' ass for 200 years. We're 10 and 1.” Well, Marvel Studios is now 20-1 but that’s still a damn good win loss record! Still a fan of the MCU and hoping for a return to glory for the MCU with Endgame.

Iroquois 03-10-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1 (Post 1995415)
Forget politics, the movie itself is just bland.

On my “Best Comic Book Movies of All-Time” list I place Captain Marvel at #36. Shows you the extent of its blandness. It’s not offensively bad but it is annoyingly below average. Better than such things as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Rise of the Silver Surfer but not by much. Captain Marvel being close to that quality is a stunning turn for the MCU and certainly the worst effort the studio has produced in their existence.

In a strange analogy, Captain Marvel is to Marvel Studios what the Vietnam War was to America. Controversial endeavor that the powers to be deemed necessary but overall detrimental. To quote Bill Murray’s Stripes: “We've been kickin' ass for 200 years. We're 10 and 1.” Well, Marvel Studios is now 20-1 but that’s still a damn good win loss record! Still a fan of the MCU and hoping for a return to glory for the MCU with Endgame.
Guess I can't totally blame you if you think the movie's bland, but to still call it the 36th best comic book movie ever (out of how many exactly? I'd like to see this list now) and also call it the MCU's single misstep when stuff like The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2 exists...that's questionable.

Saunch 03-11-19 12:33 AM

I thought this was good but also that it only really shined when it came to Carol and Maria’s interactions where Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck where able to work some of that Mississippi Grind tenderness.

xSookieStackhouse 03-11-19 01:22 AM

Re: Captain Marvel

i dont care if the movie is good or bad and has bad reviews im still gonna watch it no matter what and goose the cat is sooo cute aswell

Raven73 03-11-19 11:21 AM

The movie entertained me. I'm looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel appear in Avengers: End Game.

WARNING: "duck, duck GOOSE!" spoilers below
Questions: What happened to Goose? Do flerkens have the same natural life span of cats? Did she die of indigestion after swallowing the tesseract? In Endgame, are we going to be introduced to a goose named Cat?

Saunch 03-11-19 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Raven73 (Post 1995593)
WARNING: "duck, duck GOOSE!" spoilers below
Questions: What happened to Goose? Do flerkens have the same natural life span of cats? Did she die of indigestion after swallowing the tesseract? In Endgame, are we going to be introduced to a goose named Cat?
POTENTIAL ENDGAME SPOILER?
WARNING: spoilers below
The cat has an ongoing rivalry with Rocket Raccoon in the comics. My guess is that Carol will find it at SHIELD headquarters while looking for Nick Fury and everyone will think it’s a new cat but she’ll recognize it as Goose (maybe they’ll call it Chewie like in the comics as a way of concealing the fact that it’s over 20 years old.)

TheUsualSuspect 03-11-19 01:39 PM

I wanted to check this out but the wife had doctor appointments at the last minute. Might have to wait a bit.

Also, did not expect it to have such a high OW.

doubledenim 03-11-19 04:37 PM

IknoRite. Didn't expect $150+ mil.

Raven73 03-12-19 08:25 PM

WARNING: "Skrulls" spoilers below
I did like how they gave multiple perspectives on the Skrulls, making them layered rather than just two-dimensional evil monsters.
A handful of Skrulls stayed on Earth at the end of Capt. Marvel ... do we know who they are supposed to be?.

Iroquois 03-13-19 08:12 AM

WARNING: "Skrulls" spoilers below
It was my understanding that that handful of Skrulls wouldn't get to stay on Earth anyway because it would be "too dangerous" for them, which seems a little at odds with the pro-refugee subtext of their characterisation.

Cyberpunk 03-16-19 09:21 AM

8/10

Loved it! Was highly entertain by this movie. Felt very nostalgic about it as well. Not just because of the 90s references, but also because the movie felt like a combination of RoboCop, Terminator 2, and Independence Day all into one.

The movie wasn't as SJWy like the marketing was. There was some but more in the veins of The Silence of the Lambs than Ghostbusters 2016. So while I understand the hate for the marketing, I don't understand why a lot are underwhelmed by the movie itself. Yeah the structure of the movie was a little weird, but have you ever seen a nonlinear film before?

Hopefully, Disney releases this on Blu-ray.

Thursday Next 03-27-19 06:07 PM

Watched Captain Marvel last night and enjoyed it a lot. The 90s details were especially fun - I mean, she spends half the film in a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt, which has got to be worth a popcorn on its own, and the soundtrack was great, like a tour through my 1995 cassette single collection. Lots of the things I was dubious about from the trailer turned out not to be exactly how they seemed. Carol herself was more engaging than expected. I'm undecided on the story, as it was in some ways a different way of doing an origin story, in some ways quite straightforward in an almost retro-sci-fi way. On the whole I think I liked it. The skrull looked a bit like something from the Buffy props department, but again that sort of added to the retro sci-fi feel in a way. Also the cat. The cat was great.

John-Connor 03-28-19 09:23 AM

Saw it in 4dx, 3d, it had elements of gotg, men in black, top gun with a 90's sauce and a cool cat, fun ride..
Movie:

Movie+4DX 3D experience:

Monkeypunch 03-28-19 07:13 PM

I loved it. Loved the 1990's details, loved the humor, the tie ins with Guardians of the Galaxy, the soundtrack, the score,even have a bit of a movie crush on Brie Larson now. :D

I don't see how this is any way political or controversial, it's a superhero/sci-fi movie. People who see more in it than that are just looking to get offended. Captain Marvel is an awesome hero, I look forward to seeing her join the avengers to take on Thanos.

Iroquois 03-29-19 11:15 AM

Look harder, then. Even something as seemingly benign as a superhero movie carries some sort of political context, especially since the genre's very existence can't help but revolve around the concept of vigilante justice and how much it can or should be justified. Captain Marvel is no different when you consider that the political nature of both the characterisation and conflict is what gives the film its resonance (especially considering the twist) yet at the same time makes it inconsistent due to how it is at once critical of a fictional military-industrial complex yet also sponsored by the US Air Force.

NedStark09 03-29-19 11:31 AM

My Concern in building her up is well look at black panther he got snapped in the avengers movie and I just dont want to see them make her loose her powers and cannot hurt Thanos where she will need saving. Just so the new kid cannot hurt Thanos when The Men Avengers could not. I think 3rd act would have been best to use her. Cause I think to appease the Marvel male fans they will depower her to make men fans who didnt like her movie happy. We know she will be somewhere in first act and somewhat fail cause she and Thor are not in no White Suit nor is Banner
She will probably be depowered and use as a distraction with Thor while other do some type of time stuff.

Iroquois 03-29-19 11:40 AM

I don't think they give that much of a sh*t about the angry male fans, especially not when the movie proved a massive success anyway - if anything, they effectively need her to singlehandedly make up for the countless heroes who already got snapped

seanc 03-29-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2000363)
Look harder, then. Even something as seemingly benign as a superhero movie carries some sort of political context, especially since the genre's very existence can't help but revolve around the concept of vigilante justice and how much it can or should be justified. Captain Marvel is no different when you consider that the political nature of both the characterisation and conflict is what gives the film its resonance (especially considering the twist) yet at the same time makes it inconsistent due to how it is at once critical of a fictional military-industrial complex yet also sponsored by the US Air Force.
Why is that inconsistent? Can you not be critical of something and still be in favor of it? Especially considering this takes place in the 90's. I am sure many military leaders now would be happy we have progressed past where we were 25 years ago.

Iroquois 03-29-19 01:12 PM

You'd think so, but when criticism of the military gets rendered abstract and allegorical through a fantastic race war between blue and green aliens while the real-life military is ultimately treated as a positive basis for the hero's identity (right down to basing her iconic costume's colours on an Air Force-branded T-shirt), it's definitely questionable.

seanc 03-29-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2000396)
You'd think so, but when criticism of the military gets rendered abstract and allegorical through a fantastic race war between blue and green aliens while the real-life military is ultimately treated as a positive basis for the hero's identity (right down to basing her iconic costume's colours on an Air Force-branded T-shirt), it's definitely questionable.
To you. When you said the politics of super hero movies is seemingly benign, you should have just said they are benign. These films are made to be easily digestible by mass audiences. That strategy seems to be working as they are being ferociously digested by mass audiences. I will be so glad when pop culture stops thinking it is somehow changing the world by being about identity politics. I don't remember people talking this way about Star Wars and Indiana Jones back in the day but maybe I missed it.