Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=43371)

Ghoulio 10-20-15 08:06 PM

Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello

Which pair did comedy better. I'd have to go with Abbott and Costello, who's on first routine. Can't post links or I'd include it.

gbgoodies 10-20-15 08:09 PM

Abbott and Costello

Rhett Butler 10-20-15 11:06 PM

Re: Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello

Both are kind of tame, but Abbot & Costello seems to have more of an edge.

Captain Steel 10-20-15 11:18 PM

Hard to compare because their comedy was so different and within different time frames.

Abbot & Costello excelled at stand up dialogue routines (like "Who's on first?").
Laurel & Hardy (coming out of the silent era) were obviously less about dialogue and more about pantomime and slapstick.

The dynamic was different too - Bud Abbott was always the straight man. At most he'd get mad at Lou, but would never end up being the butt of the joke or take a fall (such as ending up with a bucket of whitewash on his head). Lou Costello always ended up the victim of his own stupidity.
Whereas Oliver Hardy got equally irritated with Stan, but was almost always the butt of the joke, the victim of Stan's innocent ignorance or the one who had to take the fall. Laurel & Hardy usually ended up in the mud together whereas with Abbot and Costello, Lou was the one who ended up in the mud while Bud Abbott was like Teflon - he was pretty much untouchable.

mark f 12-16-20 04:14 PM

METAL_TREK1 12-20-20 12:58 AM

They're both great, but I've always preferred Laurel & Hardy. However, I've always preferred The Marx Brothers to both of these duos.

Frank 02-12-21 04:43 AM

For me, Abbott and Costello, they were awesome.

Darth Wish 02-12-21 04:56 AM

Laurel and Hardy for me.
I grew up watching them and I still watch clips on YT.

Stan Laurel was born on 16th June 1890, died february 1965, I was born 16th June 1965.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAEJyuReWQ

Powdered Water 02-12-21 05:08 AM

Both.

Wooley 02-12-21 08:10 AM

I'm a big Abbott & Costello guy.
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of my favorite movies. I watch it almost every October.

Allaby 02-12-21 10:11 AM

I prefer Laurel and Hardy.

GulfportDoc 02-12-21 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1401816)
Hard to compare because their comedy was so different and within different time frames.

Abbot & Costello excelled at stand up dialogue routines (like "Who's on first?").
Laurel & Hardy (coming out of the silent era) were obviously less about dialogue and more about pantomime and slapstick.

The dynamic was different too - Bud Abbott was always the straight man. At most he'd get mad at Lou, but would never end up being the butt of the joke or take a fall (such as ending up with a bucket of whitewash on his head). Lou Costello always ended up the victim of his own stupidity.
Whereas Oliver Hardy got equally irritated with Stan, but was almost always the butt of the joke, the victim of Stan's innocent ignorance or the one who had to take the fall. Laurel & Hardy usually ended up in the mud together whereas with Abbot and Costello, Lou was the one who ended up in the mud while Bud Abbott was like Teflon - he was pretty much untouchable.
You made some good points 5-6 years ago. I was thinking the same thing. With Laurel & Hardy you could enjoy their routines without sound, whereas with Abbot & Costello, most of their great routines were dialogue heavy.

WHITBISSELL! 02-12-21 11:31 AM

It's Laurel & Hardy. The Marx Brothers rivaled them but my personal favorite from that era is W.C. Fields.

John Dumbear 02-12-21 11:45 AM

Laurel & Hardy and its not remotely close. But have to add that Abbott & Costello's "Who's on first" is brilliant.

Captain Terror 02-12-21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1401816)
This is why I never took to A&C very much. Abbott was just a pain in the a--. Moe Howard and Oliver Hardy were also bullies but they would "end up with the bucket on the head" as Capt. Steel said, which makes them easier to watch.

And Costello is a funny dude, but he's not genius-level like Stan Laurel is. I grew up watching both teams, but L&H is the one that I revere. (Click the star next to my name and you'll find a L&H film in the #2 spot)

Captain Steel 02-12-21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2177689)
You made some good points 5-6 years ago. I was thinking the same thing. With Laurel & Hardy you could enjoy their routines without sound, whereas with Abbot & Costello, most of their great routines were dialogue heavy.
We can think of Laurel & Hardy as interim Silent Movie - Sound Age..
And Abbot & Costello as Radio Age...
Each lent their talents to the most popular medium of their time.

Mesmerized 02-12-21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2177667)
I'm a big Abbott & Costello guy.
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of my favorite movies. I watch it almost every October.
That's one of my favorites also. I too prefer Abbott and Costello.

Captain Steel 02-12-21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mesmerized (Post 2177789)
That's one of my favorites also. I too prefer Abbott and Costello.
My only regret about that movie is they didn't get Karloff to play the creature (Frankenstein).
It would have been "complete" with Karloff as they had other icons: Lugosi as Dracula & Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman, but Karloff had to be substituted with actor Glenn Strange to play Frankenstein's monster.

Don't know why (maybe I'll have to check IMDB trivia)...

(A few minutes later...)
Boris Karloff refused to play the monster, but as a favor to Universal he agreed to do publicity for this film - as long as he didn't have to see it. In several photos taken by Universal's publicity department, he is seen standing in line purchasing a ticket at a theater in New York City where the film is playing, and in other stills he is shown admiring the poster art for the film outside the theater lobby. Karloff later starred with Bud Abbott and Lou Costello in Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet the Killer Boris Karloff (1949) as well as Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953).

-from IMDB trivia.

Captain Steel 02-12-21 05:25 PM

An interesting, half-hour long, documentary on the making of Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fofJVKKAo

skizzerflake 02-15-21 10:39 AM

They were both great, but in very different ways. Stan and Ollie were only half-talkie and most of what they did was nearly silent, and mainly mimed. The dialog was minimal and sound effects irrelevant. Some of their physical acting was nearly like a comedic ballet.

Abbott and Costello, however, were very much rooted in dialog, most notably the famous "Who's on First". They did some pratfalls, but the physical part was not as prominent as Laurel and Hardy.

If I were going to pick one over the other, I'd give a small edge to Stan and Ollie because their physical style and historic period is so other-worldly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkDpzz6DHs