Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stephen King Books to Film Semi-Appreciation Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=15220)

Powdered Water 02-12-08 03:17 PM

Stephen King Books to Film Semi-Appreciation Thread

value

Is there an author that has had more of his work put onto the silver screen or the small screen for that matter? I've been reading his books since I was about 11 years old and I've been watching his books that have been translated in one form or another into film almost as long. I say semi-appreciate simply because a rather large number of his books have been butchered in one way or another on their way to the screen. I won't bore you with all of them, I'll mostly try to stick with films that I've read the books to as well. Fair enough? I'm also not really interested in listing my "fave" Stephen King movies. I just wanted to talk a bit about his body of work, so if there's already an appreciation thread I apologize, I couldn't find it.

I'll start at the beginning, and probably not surprisingly is some of the best stuff starting with Carrie (1976), still to this day one of the relatively closest adaptations of his work to the big screen, and a truly horrifying look into not just peer-pressure but just how nasty teens can be to each other and then their inevitable comeuppance. Next there is what I'm sure many would potentially call one of the better Horror/Suspense films ever made, I would anyway. Of course I'm talking about The Shining (1980) interestingly enough this is one film that Stephen King has said is not a good adaptation of his book and overall wasn't very pleased with Kubrick's vision. But over the years has softened that stance somewhat, mostly I believe because of the cult following the movie has achieved. As he has in general for most of his books to film even saying: "It's apples to oranges; both delicious, but very different". Creepshow (1982) marks the first time we see King in a small starring role, playing the lonely Jordy Verril and giving us the wonderful saying: "Meteor sh*t!" Also his son Joe King makes an appearance in the film as well.

Now on to a few that I can take or leave alone; mostly leave alone. Admittedly I'm a child of the 80's but that doesn't mean that these weren't good, it just means to me that I loved the books a lot more. First up Cujo (1983) to be followed by, Christine (1983), Children of the Corn (1984), Firestarter (1984) Cat's Eye (1985) and Silver Bullet (1985). All of which I enjoyed immensely when reading but with the exception of Children of the Corn; could not bring myself to watch them again.
value
And then we get a real pip, which Stephen King himself directed. Maximum Overdrive (1986), you may recall this wonderful piece of cheese, (or not... mores the pity) he himself called it a: "moron movie" and King was nominated in 1987 for the honor of worst director by The Golden Raspberry awards and quickly announced that he never planned to direct again. And perhaps again, mores the pity if you love really bad movies. :p

1986 brought us what he said was up to that point his favorite adaptation; Stand By Me. A good book and in my ever so humble opinion an even better movie. Wonderful performances all around from a cast of rather young men, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, Wil Wheaton and River Phoenix (R.I.P.) Next year brought another film which had virtually nothing in common with the original text except the name of the book titled The Running Man (1987). Primarily a vehicle for Arnold at the time and I must admit I do have a bit of a soft spot for this particular piece of silliness. Sue me.

In the 90's some will say things got better or much worse, I'm a bit of both. We see a lot more work in television for King but we also get some pretty decent films as well. Starting with Misery (1990), not only is this a great book but Kathy Bates Oscar winning portrayal of Annie Wilkes perhaps will go down in history as the female version of Norman Bates. And one that will be talked over for decades to come. "You dirty bird..." In 1992 King actually sued to have his name removed from the credits of The Lawnmower Man, and rightly so if one were to ask me. It has virtually nothing to do with the novella by the same name except the title. New Line who had the rights to his story decided to combine his title and the movie which was originally to be called Cyber God, I imagine they were simply trying to make more cash by slapping King's name on there. I have to admit that I still pop this one in now and then (Sci-Fi geek and all...) and I don't think its that terrible of a film it just doesn't have anything to do with his novella. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) is another novella to film that yet again takes several liberties with the actual story and yet apparently this one really works for a lot of people. I enjoy it for what it is, but there's certainly better "prison" movies out there if that's you're cup of tea. The Green Mile (1999) to me is not only a better adaptation of King's work but also a better film than The Shawshank Redemption, but that's just me, what do I know. I intentionally leave out most of his stuff adapted for television during the 90's simply because 1. This a movie forum and you can look it all up on Google if you're so inclined. And 2. A lot of it just isn't worth mentioning, sorry if I offend you.

Hearts in Atlantis (2001) is another very loose adaptation from a King book by the same name and yet the title of the novella that spawned the film is actually Low Men in Yellow Coats, so I guess they just liked that title better, who knows. Anyway I'm fairly certain I'm one of only 3 people that actually like the film, due mostly to Sir Anthony Hopkins. I could watch him in most anything. Dreamcatcher (2003) is pretty much a B-grade horror film with some name actors in it, so of course I rather liked it for what it was even though they found it necessary to completely change the ending. I have yet to see 1408 or The Mist but I will and I'm even a little excited about The Mist, that's Frank Darabont directing again so it may at least follow the story pretty well. There's a few others in production now as I write this that may also turn out pretty decent. Time will tell. Tobe Hooper is said to be at the helm of From a Buick 8, so that could be interesting and also Eli Roth is said to be at the helm of Cell. So we'll see.

Anyway, I realize I've left out quite a few, so feel free to chime in with your favorites or less than favorites if you must.

Lennon 02-12-08 03:22 PM

Re: Stephen King Books to Film Semi-Appreciation Thread

Desperation nicely done by Mick Garris. A little cheesy from some of the cast, but for my $5 it was awesome! Ron Pearlman was perfect casting. Nice look and feel to it.

Thursday Next 02-12-08 03:31 PM

The Stand is my favourite King book. The adaptation was reasonable, but probably not the best adaptation. I know it was a mini-series, but it did have a good cast and I'm not sure this could have been cut down to a 2 hour film, it would lose a lot of its epic-ness. As it was, it lost a good deal of the nastier stuff (and The Stand isn't really a horror anyway, so it became really quite tame).

Most disappointing adaptation has to be It...the clown was creepy enough, but a lot of the acting was poor and the climax of the film was changed totally.

The Taxi Driver 02-12-08 04:14 PM

good thread man

The Shining will always be my favorite adaption of a King novel even if it is not faithful. We should all be grateful though because the "faithful" film version of it was just very too boring for me to even finish.

Powdered Water 02-13-08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 413642)
The Stand is my favourite King book. The adaptation was reasonable, but probably not the best adaptation. I know it was a mini-series, but it did have a good cast and I'm not sure this could have been cut down to a 2 hour film, it would lose a lot of its epic-ness. As it was, it lost a good deal of the nastier stuff (and The Stand isn't really a horror anyway, so it became really quite tame).

Most disappointing adaptation has to be It...the clown was creepy enough, but a lot of the acting was poor and the climax of the film was changed totally.
I certainly agree with you about the book, the show... Not so much, some things just shouldn't be done. That book is one of them, it will never be made into a good film and even if they did make a decent mini-series out of it, I say: "Why bother?", seriously to do it justice it would really need to be at least 20 hours long so why not just go read the book? I also love IT a great deal and I refuse to watch that stupid mini-series they roll out on Sci-Fi channel every couple of months.

blibblobblib 02-13-08 01:19 PM

I'd like to see an adaptation of Geralds Game. Very awesome book.

But i wonder who would have to sit handcuffed to a bed the whole movie with their bangers out?

Mrs. Darcy 02-14-08 10:19 AM

They should never, ever put his books to film. King says so much in a paragraph, that to try to adapt any of his lovely, wordy books is an exercise in futility. Even his novellas have a lot to say. That's part of the reason I love King's work. His novellas have fared best, with Shawshank (one of my favorite films) and The Mist being very well done, and pretty close to the books. His only full length book that translated well to screen imo was The Green Mile. The others just don't work.

Cygnus X-2112 02-26-08 12:00 AM

I loved the adaption of 1408. I thought it was really well done. It's too bad really, most Stephen King adaptions arent that great, while the books are amazing. (IT anyone?) But some are really good. I find that the better ones are the more dramatic ones, as in my opinion The Green Mile is the best Stephen King adaption. That damn movie almost made me cry :(

christine 02-26-08 10:10 AM

I enjoyed 1408 too Cygnus

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 413642)
I agree Thurs, The Stand is def my favourite book too, and the miniseries isn't a bad adaptation (didn't King so the screenplay?), it's just that the book is so great I don't think anyone could do it justice.

Also quite like the tv version of Salem's Lot, and like Carrie and The Shining also. What about The Dead Zone Powderedwater? I loved that book and the film was quite effective too - Christopher Walken perfect in the lead role.

Powdered Water 02-26-08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by christine (Post 416659)
What about The Dead Zone Powderedwater? I loved that book and the film was quite effective too - Christopher Walken perfect in the lead role.
I don't know why but for some reason that's just one that has slipped through the cracks on me for years. I was a little shocked when I saw it on the OFSC list and realized I not only hadn't seen the film I also haven't read the book. I have the book on the shelf and just have never gotten to it. I'm sure I'll probably enjoy it though. I was mainly trying to stick to films and books that I've read and seen the film so that's why there isn't more of them here from me. When looking at his body of work and then the films that have sprung from it, there's a pretty daunting list to climb if you want to attempt to read and see them all. :yup:

Monkeypunch 02-26-08 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by blibblobblib (Post 413921)

But i wonder who would have to sit handcuffed to a bed the whole movie with their bangers out?
That is a good book, but Stephen King has said in a few interviews that he'd never allow anyone to make a film of it.

mark f 02-26-08 07:50 PM

It's been a long time since I've seen The Dead Zone, so I think I need to rent that and the remake of The Fly to introduce my daughter into earlier, "commercial" Cronenberg.

susan 02-26-08 08:44 PM

my favorites are still

stand by me
the green mile
shawshank redemption
and the mist is a new one...

as for tv adaptations

the stand
the langoliers
and yes i liked the shining (tv adaptation) this was my favorite stephen king book by the way

Powdered Water 02-27-08 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 416784)
It's been a long time since I've seen The Dead Zone, so I think I need to rent that and the remake of The Fly to introduce my daughter into earlier, "commercial" Cronenberg.
There is a pretty cheap double DVD out now with The Fly 1&2 that's really only slightly more than renting it. I think my pops paid like $5.99 or something like that.

kcurrin 03-03-08 06:31 PM

The Green Mile was a wonderful (my favorite) adaptation.

TheMightyCelestial 05-24-08 04:27 AM

My top 5 fave "Stephen King movies":

5. Stand By Me
You guys wanna see a dead body?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g..._Photo-147.jpg

4. Carrie
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ande-1-1-1.jpg

I don't know what Carrie's big hang-up was with the pig's blood an' all.
I mean, at least she had a date for the prom. http://prince.org/i/s/icon_pout.gif

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...c5c1193997.jpg

3. Misery
Whether she's starring in this movie or not, Cathy Bates always frightens me.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...--630-75-1.jpg

2. Dolores Clairborne
I pretty much ignored this film when it was first released. I watched on it's first airing
value
on TV and I literally couldn't believe at how good it was. So I went out & rented it, & yep, I was right. It's that good.
The story is just perfect from beginning to end. And Kathy Bates, IMO, turns in an even better performance than she did in Misery. The plot may tend to come off as a bit complicated, but the movie does a great job of walking the viewer thru the intermingling flashbacks & varoius plot points that show the main character's journey to save her daughter from the father's "parental indulgences" & how that struggle can lead us to find strength in the most unlikely of places.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...3ef1193997.jpg

1. Shawshank Redemption
Not since Brian's Song has there been a flick that truly encapsulated the feeling of amorous friendship between two straight men.
Interracial hetero man-love at it's finest.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...8aa1193997.jpg

Brittyb 05-29-08 01:11 AM

I think Stephen King is a serious disappointment as a writer. :/
It seems like he writes for the purpose of having his books turned into a movie. He either writes something really good, or something really terrible.

adidasss 05-29-08 07:20 AM

I've seen a few of his films, the non-horror ones are usually rather good ( Stand by me, The green mile, The Shawshank redemption), I also loved Misery, Storm of the century, The mist, Carrie was ok, I remember The langoliers freaked me out as a child, I didn't like the atmosphere at all (I heard it's actually pretty good though). Desperation was so ridiculously bad it has become a great film to watch when you're high...all in all I think the ratio of good to bad is pretty good...

gohansrage 05-29-08 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brittyb (Post 437586)
It seems like he writes for the purpose of having his books turned into a movie. He either writes something really good, or something really terrible.
I agree. And I think it is safe to say he has written more on the terrible side. However, The Shining is one of my all time favorite reads. And the film adaptation was spectacular. I thought it caught the mood of the book, and the concept of the book, even if it did take major liberties with the plot.

christine 05-29-08 02:16 PM

It seems like he writes for the purpose of having his books turned into a movie.
oh no! I don't agree with you there at all :p Too many of his books depend on written inner thought processes that're so difficult to film for him to be accused of that. You can tell he loves writing and the written word through and though when you read the intros to his books. I've had discussions about him for years and find that he appeals to readers across the board from serious readers to people who don't read much at all, so disappointment? nah!

faust3x 06-01-08 01:15 AM

I just liked Shawshank Redemption and The Mist.

Brittyb 06-09-08 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by christine (Post 437689)
oh no! I don't agree with you there at all :p Too many of his books depend on written inner thought processes that're so difficult to film for him to be accused of that. You can tell he loves writing and the written word through and though when you read the intros to his books. I've had discussions about him for years and find that he appeals to readers across the board from serious readers to people who don't read much at all, so disappointment? nah!
Too many of his books depend on written inner thought processes that're so difficult to film?
I've hardly even heard of his other books that haven't become movies. He's even written a television series (Kingdom Hospital), unless it was a book that they converted into a series- i'm not sure. I've talked to many book-lovers about Stephen King, and he's frequently let down most of them. Dean Koontz is better, in my opinion.
But whatever, opinions are like ********- we all got 'em. i hope. :D

rufnek 06-12-08 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 413638)
Is there an author that has had more of his work put onto the silver screen or the small screen for that matter?
How about Shakespeare for starters? Hemingway. Kipling. Faulkner. Raymond Chandler. Arthur Conan Doyle. Tennessee Williams. Charles Dickens. Louis L’Amour. Agatha Christie. Larry McMurty. Zane Gray. Sir Walter Scott. Jules Verne. Mark Twain. H.G. Welles. Robert Louis Stevenson. P.G. Wodehouse. James Fenimore Cooper. Edgar Allen Poe. Oscar Wilde. Alexandre Dumas. F. Scott Fitzgerald. Victor Hugo. Herman Melville. Jack London. Joseph Conrad. Ernest K. Gann. Evan Hunter, who also wrote as Ed McBain. The Brothers Grimm. Ross McDonald. Mikey Spillane. Allan LeMay. Max Brand. The folks who wrote the Bible.

rufnek 06-12-08 03:34 PM

I would not be a fair judge of King's writing. I've read only one of his books--Cujo--and thought it was gawd awful. I've always been amazed that most of the fans of Stephen King books I've ever encountered were young women in their teens to early twenties.

Powdered Water 06-12-08 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rufnek (Post 440143)
How about Shakespeare for starters? Hemingway. Kipling. Faulkner. Raymond Chandler. Arthur Conan Doyle. Tennessee Williams. Charles Dickens. Louis L’Amour. Agatha Christie. Larry McMurty. Zane Gray. Sir Walter Scott. Jules Verne. Mark Twain. H.G. Welles. Robert Louis Stevenson. P.G. Wodehouse. James Fenimore Cooper. Edgar Allen Poe. Oscar Wilde. Alexandre Dumas. F. Scott Fitzgerald. Victor Hugo. Herman Melville. Jack London. Joseph Conrad. Ernest K. Gann. Evan Hunter, who also wrote as Ed McBain. The Brothers Grimm. Ross McDonald. Mikey Spillane. Allan LeMay. Max Brand. The folks who wrote the Bible.
I suppose you're right, I shouldn't have even bothered, next time I want to write about something I'll be sure to check in with you first. ;) Honestly rufnek, the word cantankerous often comes to mind when I read some of your posts. But that's cool, if you really need to point out my shortcomings feel free, they are numerous and easy to find.

Originally Posted by rufnek (Post 440151)
I would not be a fair judge of King's writing. I've read only one of his books--Cujo--and thought it was gawd awful. I've always been amazed that most of the fans of Stephen King books I've ever encountered were young women in their teens to early twenties.
And then you say this to top it off. Thanks for checking in.

christine 06-12-08 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brittyb (Post 439495)
Too many of his books depend on written inner thought processes that're so difficult to film?
I've hardly even heard of his other books that haven't become movies. He's even written a television series (Kingdom Hospital), unless it was a book that they converted into a series- i'm not sure. I've talked to many book-lovers about Stephen King, and he's frequently let down most of them. Dean Koontz is better, in my opinion.

the fact that his books have become films doesn't mean that he wrote them to be so - I still completely disagree that he did do that. Do you agree PW? I don't agree either that he lets down his readership. ok there's books that aren't as good as others but hell, even world class writer's books aren't all on a par of quality.

Opinions, yeah s'true but Dean Koontz....jeez :D

Powdered Water 06-12-08 07:20 PM

Of course I agree with you christine, and if we were to ask King himself I bet he would too. At least I want to believe that's true, so in my world it is. He's an author not a screenplay writer, although if he wanted to do that it wouldn't surprise me terribly if he did alright at it. That's always been the hook for me in most of his books, I feel like he wrote this book for me, I feel like he's talking to me. You can't possibly have that same thing in a film unless you have a running narration going on in the background, and then you have what? Not a movie I don't think, sounds more like a video version of books on tape.

yellowfellow89 06-14-08 05:48 PM

I would like to see "Cell" come to the big screen. I know there are plenty of other zombie movies out there, but none of them tickle my fancy.

rufnek 06-20-08 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 440163)
I suppose you're right, I shouldn't have even bothered, next time I want to write about something I'll be sure to check in with you first. Honestly rufnek, the word cantankerous often comes to mind when I read some of your posts. But that's cool, if you really need to point out my shortcomings feel free, they are numerous and easy to find.

I'm truly sorry if I hurt your feelings, Powdered Water. That wasn't my intention at all. But you asked, Is there an author that has had more of his work put onto the silver screen or the small screen for that matter? And I thought you were interested in a serious discussion rather than an endorsement of your opinion. You and I have had pleasant discussions before in this forum and occasionally may have agreed. I never thought that remark would be so offensive to you.

One thing I've noticed, this forum attracts a lot of young people who seem to think Hollywood began in 1970 and that there is nothing earlier than that worth discussing. They seem to have forgotten a lot of writers, actors, and films I enjoyed growing up. I've tried to contribute to the discussion with comments about some of those people and films.

Cantankerous? Maybe. Probably. I'm not in a position to judge that. But I've never put labels on anyone who disagreed with me about a movie. I realize I'm in a minority--in fact, I may be the minority--who didn't like 2001 or Rosemary's Baby or the recent remake of 3:10 to Yuma. But I just don't care for those films. Yet it doen't bother me if you do, or if you dislike my favorite films. An earlier discussion in this forum had something to do with not being able to respect people who disliked certain films. Now, that's a foreign concept to me because I can't imagine judging people by their taste in or distaste for certain films.

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 440163)
And then you say this to top it off. Thanks for checking in.”

Now this I don’t understand at all. I don’t know why you would be offended if I don’t read King’s books. I wasn’t discussing the quality or nature of his books, just writers whose works have been made into movies. Or was it that I observed that King’s novels seemed to very popular among young women? I certainly didn’t mean any reflection on you, not knowing if you’re male or female. I didn’t say that only young women, girls in their teens, read them. I didn’t say that doing so was good or bad. I made no judgments of all. But it does surprise me that books known for their element of horror are so popular with young women. Girls used to not go in for blood and guts, as a rule.

Powdered Water 06-20-08 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rufnek (Post 441790)

I'm truly sorry if I hurt your feelings, Powdered Water. That wasn't my intention at all. But you asked, Is there an author that has had more of his work put onto the silver screen or the small screen for that matter? And I thought you were interested in a serious discussion rather than an endorsement of your opinion. You and I have had pleasant discussions before in this forum and occasionally may have agreed. I never thought that remark would be so offensive to you.

No hard feelings rufnek I was simply a little irritated is all. It was just a rhetorical question to get the post started. Perhaps its bad form to start an article that way, I don't know, I'm not a real writer and I've never had any real training. Of course I understand that there are authors that have had numerous movies made out of their work, I believe Shakespeare is sitting around 250 films or so.

One thing I've noticed, this forum attracts a lot of young people who seem to think Hollywood began in 1970 and that there is nothing earlier than that worth discussing. They seem to have forgotten a lot of writers, actors, and films I enjoyed growing up. I've tried to contribute to the discussion with comments about some of those people and films.

True. 1970 might even be too far back. :laugh: And I understand what you're trying to do. Look I'm not perfect so you can either forgive me or not if I get a little snappy sometimes when I feel I'm being disparaged is all. And it may simply be that I'm being overly sensitive, and you weren't in the least trying to be that way.

Cantankerous? Maybe. Probably. I'm not in a position to judge that.

You know you are old timer. :p :p :D :D

But I've never put labels on anyone who disagreed with me about a movie.
Seriously? C'mon everybodies doing it. It's fun, next thing you know you'll be calling some newbie and idiot. :D :cool:

I don’t know why you would be offended if I don’t read King’s books. I wasn’t discussing the quality or nature of his books, just writers whose works have been made into movies.
Look, I'm not really offended. I guess I just don't understand the need to "weigh in" with an opinion on a topic when you yourself admit that you've only read one of his books. And you didn't like it to boot. The main purpose of this thread (to me) was to talk about a body of work and maybe even to compare and contrast between the films and his books.

bleacheddecay 06-20-08 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by blibblobblib (Post 413921)

I swore off of Stephen King books after Cujo. The cover alone freaked me out. The movie sucked.

Salem's Lot was a pretty good book. The original movie, with the levitating child vamp, really gave me nightmares though.

Gerald's Game, pulled me back to reading a King book but way dissappointed me. I was all ready for some kinky sex. I mean, hello, handcuffs on the cover.

Nope, there was no such thing. There was only resentful, or unaware of the resentment, sex.

Then there was the bulk of the book.

I really identified best with the dog character. That was so affecting and sad to me.

So I'm curious, what did you really enjoy about it? Why did you find it awesome? I always like to find out from others why they liked something I didn't.

bleacheddecay 06-20-08 09:07 PM

Hey, King did The Fly? Really?

I've only watched the movies below and not read the books.

Carrie was fun.
So was Christine.
Pet Sematary was a scary idea for me.

Apt Pupil was a pretty good film IMO. I didn't realize King had written it until I looked up his books. I still haven't found The Fly though.

Didn't much care for these movies:

Oh yuck! I really didn't enjoy Secret Window at all. It had Johnny Dep in it too. How could you mess that up?

The Lawnmower Man

The Mist

I've deliberately avoided many of the other King movies. I have rules about watching potentially scary movies.

Either I must go with a group that will joke on the movie or I can only watch during daylight hours which gives me time to clean my mental palate before bed.

Powdered Water 06-21-08 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bleacheddecay (Post 441815)
Hey, King did The Fly? Really?
According to wiki it was a short story written by George Langelaan, back in 1957. :)

bleacheddecay 06-21-08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 441904)
According to wiki it was a short story written by George Langelaan, back in 1957. :)
Good to know. Thanks. I didn't think King had done The Fly it didn't feel like a King creation to me at all.

Mrs. Darcy 06-21-08 07:09 PM

I'd like to see the "Dark Tower" series be given a chance on film. Who do you think would be a good Roland, PW?

Powdered Water 06-22-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Darcy (Post 441944)
I'd like to see the "Dark Tower" series be given a chance on film. Who do you think would be a good Roland, PW?
I've spoken with Mr. Toose about this a bit and the obvious choice for me of course would be that Eastwood guy. By the time they get something like this off the ground though he may be so old that he wouldn't want to do it. He's like 73 now isn't he? My next choice would be Tommy Lee Jones. In fact after watching his last two western type roles I kind of think he would be a perfect for it.

I don't know though, I really hold these books on a pretty lofty pedestal, there's a very large part of me that hopes they never get "made". If history has shown us anything its that for sure and for certain not every great book gets a director like the Coen's or Peter Jackson to try and put it on the screen. I realize of course that there is a contingent of King fans out there that don't like The Dark Tower books but I think they are possibly the best stuff he's written. They just agree with me on a lot of levels. To this day Wizard and Glass is the only book I've read where I actually called in sick to work and read the whole book that day. I don't know if that means anything to anyone else but it sure (the book) made an impression on me. :yup:

rufnek 06-24-08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 441796)
No hard feelings rufnek I was simply a little irritated is all. It was just a rhetorical question to get the post started.
One thing I've learned from movies about trials and lawyers: Never ask a question that you don't already know how it will be answered. :) But I'm not upset over our disagreement, and I'm glad that you don't bear any grudge either.

As for slapping labels on folks, I really try not to be that judgmental; I've known too many people who seemed to be one way when I first met them and yet turned out to be something quite different. I really don't understand labeling or name-calling over a difference of opinion. Everyone has a point of view; doesn't mean one opinion is right or wrong or more significant than another, although I sometimes wonder if some participants in this forum are old enough to have an opinion. :) Just kidding, kids!

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 441796)
I guess I just don't understand the need to "weigh in" with an opinion on a topic when you yourself admit that you've only read one of his books. And you didn't like it to boot. The main purpose of this thread (to me) was to talk about a body of work and maybe even to compare and contrast between the films and his books.
I don't read King's books, but I have seen some of the movies made from his books. I'll bet you've read fewer of Ian Fleming's books (another prolific writer who was very popular in his day) than the number of James Bond movies you've seen. Yet that wouldn't disqualify you from discussing those movies. :)

But it seems to me that whether or not I read his books has little to do with discussing the numbers of books written by various authors. And I only owned up to not being a Stephen King fan in a spirit of "truth in advertising," so to speak.

Sedai 06-24-08 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brittyb (Post 439495)
If I had to choose one book as the worst book I have ever read, it would have to be Dean' Koontz's Lightning. Simplistic writing, obvious allegory, boring characters... terrible stuff. I have never given him another chance. The guy has an abysmal reputation on most literary sites...

:sick:

Ok so... that means they were written with film in mind because...all film is either really good or really terrible? Huzzuh?? So...say he wrote something really good... that makes him a disappointment? If it's really good it has to be made into a film? If it's bad it has to be made into a film? I am just trying to pull some sort of cogent point out of your post... Care to clarify?

n3wt 07-19-08 12:49 PM

I love steven kings work, Its amazing. I love "Rose Red" that is great book/film

n3wt 07-19-08 12:49 PM

...and Dreamcatcher that was awsome also

Sir Toose 11-19-08 01:39 PM

A little off the beaten path but I love these two King adaptations:

DC1
Dolores Claiborne: This flick features Kathy Bates & Christopher Plummer in an epic battle of will and wit. This movie, to me, showcases Bates depth as an actress much more than her role in Misery did. I probably watch this film 3 or 4 times a year just because I love the witty cat and mouse between Plummer and Bates. Jennifer Jason Lee and David Strathairn star as Dolores' husband and daughter. Both of their performances are electric IMHO in this film as well. Nearly all of the action in this one takes place in the subtexts so you have to pay attention. If you do, you'll be rewarded handsomely!

GS1
Graveyard Shift:
This one is really not much more than a creature feature but it is a really good one. If you do go look it up on IMDB, please ignore the fact that it got 3.8 stars. Some people just don't appreciate a good movie! ;D Anyways, The setup is maybe stereotypical, kid needs money so he gets a job at old mill. The mill boss (played brilliantly by Stephen Macht), decides to make the workers clean out the area underneath the mill. Big mistake, madness ensues. I won't spoil it for you but the treatment of the creature is 'alien'-esque and damn creepy. The bonus of the film though is Brad Dourif as the exterminator. This performance alone is worth the price of the DVD. if you appreciate Dourif's quirkiness at all his 15 minutes or so in this film will NOT disappoint. Check it out, you'll like it.

Powdered Water 11-19-08 09:44 PM

Not off the beaten path at all there Mr Devil type person. Those both look good to me. I, for whatever reason have never read or seen Dolores Claibourne, I've had the book for like... at least 10 years or so. I have read Graveyard Shift and I honestly didn't know they had made a film from it. Wasn't that a short story from one of his compilation books? I think it was. Anyway, good stuff I says.

igor_is_fugly 11-19-08 10:56 PM

Let it be known that Stephen King is glorious. He does no wrong. That is all that need be said.

mark f 11-19-08 11:08 PM

It seems pretty weird that IMDb gives both King's Graveyard Shift and a 1987 film with the same title and a different plot both a 3.8. However, IMDb is just weird in general. I remember sending them an e-mail telling them they screwed up their rating of Zelary, a Czech film which eventually was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar. After 25 or so votes, they gave the film an "IMDb-weighted" rating of 3.8, even though the mean and median were both above 8. They wrote me back that it was a completely correct rating because they have "secret information" about the voters. Well, now, Zelary gets a 7.7. If Elmer Gantry tells me that he has "secret information", I'll listen (even if he's not telling the truth), but IMDb lackeys with canned BS responses, I'll never listen to them.

Powdered Water 11-19-08 11:26 PM

Inmates running the asylum, methinks mark.

Daffodil 11-20-08 04:14 AM

The Stephen King movies I've seen:

The Night Flier
The Mist
The Stand (TV mini-series)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Salem's Lot (2004)
Sometimes They Come Back... For More
Storm of the Century (TV mini-series)
Desperation
Christine
The Langoliers
Pet Sematary

Out of those, my favourites were The Night Flier, The Stand, The Mist, Salem's Lot (1979) and Salem's Lot (2004). Still have a way to go.

Sir Toose 11-20-08 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 476973)
I, for whatever reason have never read or seen Dolores Claibourne, I've had the book for like... at least 10 years or so.
Do so. Immediately. :D

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 476973)
I have read Graveyard Shift and I honestly didn't know they had made a film from it. Wasn't that a short story from one of his compilation books? I think it was. Anyway, good stuff I says.
It's very loosely based on the short story "Graveyard Shift" found in King's Night Shift collection. The film adaptation is better than the short story. I'll probably never say that again.

Originally Posted by igor_is_fugly
Let it be known that Stephen King is glorious. He does no wrong. That is all that need be said.
Oh I think he does! To me, Dreamcatcher was awful both as a book and a subsequent film. I think 'The Cell' was a lame and trite zombie story though I did get the tongue in cheek. I just didn't want it. "Maximum Overdrive" represents perhaps the worst footage ever committed to film and should forever rest in some universal **** pile right next to AC/DC's accompanying song.

That said, he does a lot of stuff right. I buy everything he writes and will probably continue to do so even though I find that some of it is disappointing. When he's on he's really on. When he's off it's a disaster.

rice1245 11-20-08 04:36 PM

I thought Dreamcatcher was actually underrated. And i looove Dolores Claiborne, it's my second favorite out of all his books i've read...which really aren't that many

Ijkky 11-20-08 06:53 PM

I didn't like Dreamcatcher. I thought the twist was garbage. Another one I disliked was Insomnia. It looks interesting right off the bat but eventually you realize that King is just winging it. Did they ever have an a movie adaption of that book? I saw something with Al Pacino same title in my local video store recently but didn't rent it.

Other than that everything King turns out is usually awesome. I still haven't read classics like the Shining, Carrie, or It but I intend to. I did however get to see the Shining in movie form during film class a while back. Great movie and another reason why Jack Nicholoson deserves a place among the panthenon of great actors. Still the Green Mile rules all both in book and movie form.

Just looking at King's body of work it's redonkulous (yes I said it :p) how massive it is. The man is a writing a fiend and the stories he comes up with just boggle the mind. I would personally love to see the Long Walk adapated to the screen but I don't think it would be possible.

p.s. Koontz?!? :eek:

bleacheddecay 11-21-08 01:55 AM

I've avoided most King books and movies.

I did see and read Salem's Lot (good stuff!) and Cujo (blech, and nightmares just from looking at the cover art. No, seriously I had to turn the book so I couldn't see that demonic looking doggie.)

I've watched Pet Cemetery (m'kay), Carrie (OMG! What a sick little movie!), It (m'kay and I HATE clowns, LOL!), and maybe one about an outbreak of some sort?

Read Gerald's Game (blech!) Darn handcuffs on the cover art! That's what sucked me in! The illustrator did it! The book was terrible IMO.

Koonz gave me nightmares with Hideaway. I vowed never to read him again. However, the Odd series was highly recommended to me and is very good! It doesn't give me nightmares! Yay!

Sir Toose 11-21-08 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ijkky (Post 477147)
I didn't like Dreamcatcher. I thought the twist was garbage. Another one I disliked was Insomnia. It looks interesting right off the bat but eventually you realize that King is just winging it. Did they ever have an a movie adaption of that movie? I saw something with Al Pacino same title in my local video store recently but didn't rent it.
You know what's funny about Insomnia? King said that it was one of the few works he's done that he actually did try to plot. Most of the rest of his work, he says, begins with a sentence or two and builds from there with no formal direction. He calls it 'uncovering fossils'. His book "On Writing" goes into how he writes and he did cite one other work as 'plotted' and rates that work (can't remember which it is right now) and Insomnia at the bottom of his body of work.

Anyway, that Pacino, Williams & Swank flick you referenced isn't related at all to the King book (short of having the same title). It is quite good though, you should rent it!

Ijkky 11-25-08 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sir Toose (Post 477224)
Anyway, that Pacino, Williams & Swank flick you referenced isn't related at all to the King book (short of having the same title). It is quite good though, you should rent it!
Will do.

And lol at Insomnia being planned...I could have sworn it was off-the-cuff writing. Obviously the best plan for King is to have none...which makes him even more of a genius in my eyes.

Powdered Water 03-29-14 10:41 PM

Man, what a trip. Totally forgot about this thread...

McConnaughay 03-30-14 11:33 PM

Uh, I have read Desperation, Bag of Bones, Carrie, It, The Green Mile, Rose Madder, Insomnia, Needful Things, The Eyes of the Dragon, and one or two other Stephen King books. As for their movie counterparts, Green Mile was a very good movie, however, I don't believe it was as good as the book. They captured practically everything, except for how I imagined Percy to be. Carrie was damn-near dead-on, but I think I'll lean toward the movie on this occasion, the original movie, not the second or third remake. I think that it merely worked more profoundly on the big-screen.

Both the movie and book for It feel extremely long-winded, one of them is three-hours, (granted, it's a two-part flick) and the other is around one-thousand pages. I think I'll learn toward the book on this one, if only because some of the time, the flick seemed very much like a TV-movie, whereas, the biggest perk about literature is the fact that everybody has the same budget for imagination. Neither of them is a masterpiece, however, and it comes down to Insomnia and Green Mile for which book that I have enjoyed most from him.

I haven't read The Dark Tower series, however, and it is widely considered to be his magnum opus.

Gideon58 03-31-14 11:24 AM

Though it may not be a faithful rendering of the book, the film version of THE SHINING is superb, thanks to Kubrick's direction and Nicholson's powerhouse performance. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is pretty much flawless, as is the original version of CARRIE with Sissy Spacek, as well as DOLORES CLAIBORNE, STAND BY ME, and MISERY. ABC television also did an outstanding job with IT and THE TOMMYKNOCKERS.

christine 03-31-14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 1065095)
Man, what a trip. Totally forgot about this thread...
heh I have to say I've not changed me mind....

Dean Koontz....jeez

Kakarot89 04-01-14 02:08 AM

Personally, I think only one director is really good with King's work and that's Frank Darabont. I haven't read many of his books (have read the entire Dark Tower series and am currently reading through 'Salem's Lot) but as a film person from the ones I've seen (It, 'Salem's Lot, Dreamcatcher, Shawshank Redemption, Misery, The Green Mile, Thinner, Sometimes They Come Back, The Mist, Children of the Corn, 1408, Cujo, Tommyknockers, Stand By Me, Pet Sematary, The Dark Half, Christine, The Shining) I think Darabont does King the best (King even liked Darabont's ending to The Mist more than how the story ended). They just seem to be on the same wavelength. I will say with confidence though, that if the Dark Tower gets made without Darabont, it'll be sh*t.

starmovie 04-03-14 09:01 AM

That is a good book, but Stephen King has said in a few interviews that he'd never allow anyone to make a film of it.

Kakarot89 04-05-14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by starmovie (Post 1067181)
Are you talking about the Dark Tower series? He sold the rights to JJ Abrams a few years ago and then Abrams dropped out and then Ron Howard obtained the rights. NBC was going to do a series with Howard but then some stuff happened and the project sort of fell into limbo.