Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2021 Film Challenge (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62923)

Wyldesyde19 09-02-21 02:05 AM

Update! 9/2
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 09-02-21 08:13 PM

By the way, all 2021 films seen this year have been in the theatre. Annette, which I’ll be watching soon, will be the only one, sadly. Although it is playing in other countries at the local cinema.

BooBooKittyFock 09-19-21 03:12 PM

I’m watching films for the 26th HoF, is “The passion of Joan of arc” considered French Impressionism?

Takoma11 09-19-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2239584)
I’m watching films for the 26th HoF, is “The passion of Joan of arc” considered French Impressionism?
I've been using Wikipedia and this site as my guides: https://www.movementsinfilm.com/blog...ilms-1918-1929

I don't think either mentions Passion of Joan of Arc, but considering this definition of the movement---allowing filmmakers the opportunity to produce ambitious films focused on beautiful aesthetics and psychological exploration--I feel like it could be counted.

It could also be your silent film.

Takoma11 09-19-21 03:46 PM

So I am doing this challenge again. Working from a "to do" list is really calming for me, and I've been suffering from a lot of "spend WAY too much time scrolling streaming channels" and this is helping me actually just sit down, find a film, and watch it.

I'm probably about 2/3 of the way done with my second take. This time I've let myself watch a few more short films (like Night and Fog or The House is Black) since I really stuck to feature-length films the first time around. I've also been pulling a little more from the MoFo top lists.

I've completed several of the categories, but I'd like to report on them alphabetically, so once I finish section A, I'll post it with short commentary, then so on.

Captain Terror 09-19-21 04:23 PM

Re: 2021 Film Challenge

I determined I've got about 19-20 more to watch to complete both regular and nightmare modes. My all-horror October will put the brakes on my progress I'm sure, but that still leaves me 2-1/2 months for 20 movies. Feeling pretty confident.

Captain Terror 09-19-21 08:35 PM

I. War, what is it good for?
[Watch one film centered around each of the war themes below]
1. World War I - Barbed Wire (1927)
2. World War II - Operation Pacific (1951)
3. Cold War - Code Name: Dancer (1987)
4. Vietnam War - Apocalypse Now (1979)

Finished this category today

Takoma11 09-19-21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2239631)
I. War, what is it good for?
[Watch one film centered around each of the war themes below]
1. World War I - Barbed Wire (1927)
2. World War II - Operation Pacific (1951)
3. Cold War - Code Name: Dancer (1987)
4. Vietnam War - Apocalypse Now (1979)

Finished this category today
Wow, you hadn't seen Apocalypse Now?! What did you think?

Captain Terror 09-19-21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2239633)
Wow, you hadn't seen Apocalypse Now?! What did you think?
This was my 3rd or 4th viewing, but the last time was around 15 years ago.
This just in: it's pretty good. :)

Takoma11 09-19-21 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2239643)
This just in: it's pretty good. :)
Oh really? I've always heard that the over-the-top CGI and the strong Scottish accents spoil it a bit.

Captain Terror 09-20-21 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2239650)
Oh really? I've always heard that the over-the-top CGI and the strong Scottish accents spoil it a bit.
I'm pretending that the water buffalo was CGI. :sick:

BooBooKittyFock 09-26-21 10:15 AM

Updated: 10/6
Total: 128/162 (34 to go)
40/52
“Normal Mode”  

88/110
Nightmare Mode  

BooBooKittyFock 09-26-21 10:44 AM

The hardest part about this is sorting around all your films so you get the most spaces out of what you watched

BooBooKittyFock 09-26-21 12:33 PM

One more thing Jackie!

For foreign language films, do American films that are in a foreign language count, like Minari?

And for ten films from one country, do they have to be the primary country in a film or just filmed in that country for part of the production?

Captain Terror 09-26-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2241061)
The hardest part about this is sorting around all your films so you get the most spaces out of what you watched
Agreed, but this also appeals to the Sudoko-loving part of my brain at the same time.

I watched 29 Kurosawa films this year but couldn't use him for my "10 from one director" category because I needed his movies for the Criterion and Awards categories. (I don't watch a lot of award-winners :shifty:)

BooBooKittyFock 09-26-21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2241070)
Agreed, but this also appeals to the Sudoko-loving part of my brain at the same time.

I watched 29 Kurosawa films this year but couldn't use him for my "10 from one director" category because I needed his movies for the Criterion and Awards categories. (I don't watch a lot of award-winners :shifty:)
I know what yeh mean, I love sudoku!

Damn brother! Kudos on the 29 Kurosawa, that’s quite the accomplishment.

Takoma11 09-26-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2241069)
One more thing Jackie!

For foreign language films, do American films that are in a foreign language count, like Minari?

And for ten films from one country, do they have to be the primary country in a film or just filmed in that country for part of the production?
I can't speak for everyone else, but my assumptions have been:

1) A "foreign language film" actually means one not made in the USA or other English-speaking country.

2) I've assumed that the film should have been made in that country (or almost entirely made in that country).

BooBooKittyFock 09-26-21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2241140)
I can't speak for everyone else, but my assumptions have been:

1) A "foreign language film" actually means one not made in the USA or other English-speaking country.

2) I've assumed that the film should have been made in that country (or almost entirely made in that country).
That’s what I’ve done so far, just wanted to make sure, well, besides Minari, but thank the Globes for that one!

Takoma11 09-26-21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2241141)
That’s what I’ve done so far, just wanted to make sure, well, besides Minari, but thank the Globes for that one!
Honestly, I think that if you feel you're playing by the spirit of the challenge, you should do whatever you want.

I would think it was iffy to pick Spain as your country and then watch a French film for it just because one sequence was filmed in Spain, if you get what I mean.

If Minari was almost entirely in Korean (like 90% or more) I would think it could count as foreign language. If it's more like half and half . . . maybe not.

Captain Terror 09-26-21 09:13 PM

C. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards in any category]
1. Cannes Film Festival - Kagemusha (1980), Palme d'Or
2. Academy Award - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011), Editing
3. BAFTA - Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), Cinematography
4. Independent Spirit Awards - Heathers (1989), Best First Feature
5. Sundance Film Festival - Afternoon Delight (2013), Directing Award: US Dramatic
6. Venice International Film Festival - Rashomon (1950), Golden Lion
7. Locarno Film Festival - Prince Bayaya (1950), Golden Leopard

Finished Section C. I'm now 13 films from completion.