Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=37050)

Citizen Rules 09-04-14 04:23 PM

Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

1 Attachment(s)
Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque
Chat-n-Review

All are welcomed! Even the critics

This review thread won't work without you! I don't want to just post my reviews, I want to hear your thoughts and ideas too. I'm hoping for a personal interactive thread...Cause I don't want to do this alone.

Citizen Rules 09-04-14 04:24 PM

Why do we love movies so much? Seems like a simply question, right? But think about it...why do us movie nuts devote so much time to watching, pondering and discussing movies?

I did some soul searching on that question and for me movies are like a time or travel machine. Through movies, one can image another life, getting a glimpse of what might have been if our lives had taken a different path. One can image what it would have been like to live hundreds of years ago or to see the wonders of the past world, or the amazement of future things to come.

For the time I'm watching a movie, my mind is there in the story. I'm experiencing in a small way, an out of body existences.

Does anyone else feel that way?

gbgoodies 09-04-14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1161020)
Why do we love movies so much? Seems like a simply question, right? But think about it...why do us movie nuts devote so much time to watching, pondering and discussing movies?

I did some soul searching on that question and for me movies are like a time or travel machine. Through movies, one can image another life. Getting a glimpse of what might have been if our lives had taken a different path. One can image what it would have been like to live hundreds of years ago, or to see the wonders of the past world, or the amazement of future things to come. For the time I'm watching a movie, my mind is there in the story, I'm experiencing in a small way, an out of body existences.

Does anyone else feel that way?

I love movies because they offer an escape from my boring life. Through movies, I get to experience the lives of others. I get all the love, laughs, heartache, fear, fantasies, and more, while staying safe at home. As you said, while I'm watching a movie, I get to know all the people, and become a part of their lives. If they're happy, then I'm happy. If they're sad, then I'm sad. Whatever happens to them, feels like it's happening to me.

Citizen Rules 09-04-14 10:37 PM

Well said GBG. "Whatever happens to them, feels like it's happening to me."

I bet that's true for many movie fans. Perhaps those who don't like movies can't let themselves 'go' and can't emotionally connect to what their watching.

I'd say it's the artist, the dreamers and the romantics who can readily disembody their minds for the duration of the movie and live vicariously through the characters and narrative.

I wonder if some people lack the ability to place their mind in an abstract image that we call movies?

Derek Vinyard 09-04-14 10:38 PM

Re: Citizen Rules...Cinamaesque Chat-n-Review

Look interesting !! curious to see that Thread !

seanc 09-04-14 10:49 PM

I love the emotional connection I feel from a really great movie. I think that is why I respond to character driven films so much. It gives me a chance for that connection. I love that a movie like that will make me think about it for a long time. I love when I can clearly relate a movies themes to real life. Anything that makes me ponder what it is saying to me for a period of time.

Citizen Rules 09-04-14 11:14 PM

I levitate towards character driven films too. Yet, I can enjoy in an aesthetic way, a movie heavy on cinematic looks. But those kind of films don't draw me in as much. I watch some strange movies but I bet we all do.:)

seanc 09-04-14 11:18 PM

Yeah, there are always exceptions to every rule. I like the idea behind the thread Citizen, hopefully we can get some good conversations going.

Citizen Rules 09-04-14 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So my first review here will be an OBSCURE film that I doubt anyone here has seen. But you guys constantly amaze me with your diversity in movie watching, so maybe you did see this?

Swamp Fire

I was curious to see this as it features both Johnny Weissmuller and Buster Crabbe. Both men played Tarzan in the movies and both were gold medal Olympians. Swamp Fire was made in 1946 right after WWII and was one of the first movies to show the effects of battle fatigue and survivors guilt on a returning vet.

Also interesting, was its setting in the Louisiana bayous with mostly
Cajuns characters, who are intelligently portrayed. I was impressed by Buster Crabbe's acting ability. He had leading man good looks and played a lively bad guy, all while doing a good Cajun accent. I'm not sure why he didn't have a bigger career.

It was a pretty good story too. Worth a watch.

Citizen Rules 09-04-14 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1161423)
Yeah, there are always exceptions to every rule. I like the idea behind the thread Citizen, hopefully we can get some good conversations going.
Thanks Seanc!

gbgoodies 09-04-14 11:53 PM

I've never heard of the movie Swamp Fire. I've seen a couple of the old Tarzan movies, but that was so long ago that I don't even remember who played Tarzan in them. Many years ago, one of the local channels used to air them on Saturday afternoons along with the old Abbott & Costello movies.

Citizen Rules 09-05-14 12:00 AM

GBG, I've been watching the Tarzan movie collection. Some are pretty good, some are goofy. The one's I'm watching are all Johnny Weissmuller he made 12 of them. That's why I watched Swamp Fire.
(Weissmuller) "Won 5 Olympic Gold Medals 1924-1928 for swimming. Broke the record in each race. From 1921-1929 he won every free style race he entered."

The movie itself was an Alpha video DVD. You guys ever watch those? Alpha videos are the best digital transfers around...not.

gbgoodies 09-05-14 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1161443)
GBG, I've been watching the Tarzan movie collection. Some are pretty good, some are goofy. The one's I'm watching are all Johnny Weissmuller he made 12 of them. That's why I watched Swamp Fire.
(Weissmuller) "Won 5 Olympic Gold Medals 1924-1928 for swimming. Broke the record in each race. From 1921-1929 he won every free style race he entered."

The movie itself was an Alpha video DVD. You guys ever watch those? Alpha videos are the best digital transfers around...not.

The picture that you posted above looks like the DVDs found in the dollar stores around here. They're usually public domain movies, so anyone can make a DVD and sell it. That's why the movie quality is usually pretty bad. It's usually a copy, of a copy ,of a copy, x number of times.

edarsenal 09-05-14 12:30 AM

was a big fan of the weismuller/maureen o'hara Tarzan flicks as a kid. Like GBG, they played out on local channels back in the 70's along with abbott & costello (which i watched faithfully as a kid)
I'll have to keep an eye out for this movie; always enjoy a good oldie - or even a semi goodie for that matter.

As for you initial question, citizen: for me its really an enjoyment of the senses on a variety of levels. From emotional to the cerebral; when it comes to following the story line and, either guessing the outcome or hopping on and with hands in the air, riding the roller coaster of the movie. That includes enjoying the characters, the actors' performances, the director's influence, the way a scene unfolds, how the camera moves about and captures what we see. The enhancement of music, or the enhancement of sans music.
There is so much that a movie can offer on so many different levels for so many different reasons.
My question is: how can you NOT get excited about movies and get, happily, caught up in them?

Citizen Rules 09-05-14 03:26 PM

Good post, Edarsenal, I like what you said about the various components of a movie that you can enjoy. Movies are much more than just acting or CG or camera work.

I usually can find something to like in a movie, even if it's just the sets done nicely by the Art Director or a certain performances.

The only movies I really dislike, are the one that I want to see the most. These have my highest expectations and so I hold them to a higher 'bar' than other movies. Then I'm often let down and usually it's the ending that fails my expectations.

gbgoodies 09-05-14 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1161743)
Good post, Edarsenal, I like what you said about the various components of a movie that you can enjoy. Movies are much more than just acting or CG or camera work.

I usually can find something to like in a movie, even if it's just the sets done nicely by the Art Director or a certain performances.

The only movies I really dislike, are the one that I want to see the most. These have my highest expectations and so I hold them to a higher 'bar' than other movies. Then I'm often let down and usually it's the ending that fails my expectations.

I think one of the problems with reading reviews of classic movies is that they've gotten such great reputations over the years that it's hard for them to live up to that reputation. Usually when I watch a movie that I really wanted to see, I can appreciate that it's a good movie, but I can't see it for the brilliance that everyone else seems to see.

Maybe that's why most of the top movies in the 70s countdown aren't even on my list. Movies like Chinatown, Taxi Driver, The Godfather, etc., are all movies that I watched because they've been recommended so highly that I felt like I was missing something if I didn't see them. I consider them all to be great movies, but they may never make it onto my favorites list.

Citizen Rules 09-05-14 04:37 PM

That could be true GBG.I just requested Chinatown which I've never seen, so it will be very interesting to see if it lives up to it's reputation.Most movies have some plot hole or unbelievable actions by a character. So I'll see how it goes.

But what I was meaning (but didn't write very well) was movies where there's a mystery like in Contact, and my imagination for what the movie will be is usually different than what the movie is. I'm sure Contact was a good movie but I 'dreamed' it bigger. If that makes senses?

Same thing happened with the movie I watched last night.

Citizen Rules 09-06-14 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Donnie Darko The Director's Cut

Never judge a movie by it's cover, that's what I did. I requested this from my library a couple months ago. I took one look at the cover and seen a young guy with an ax over his shoulder and said to myself, 'nope I'm not watching a slasher horror film.' So I never watched it.

But as fate would have it, this movie was discussed here. So once again I requested it. This time I watched it.

Donnie Darko is no horror film, it wasn't even particularly violent, at least in a gory way. This is more of a psychological Sci fi movie, akin to a 21st century Twilight Zone episode...punched up and brought to the big screen.

At the start I had an idea of what the movie might turn out to be. But the ending was completely different than what I had imaged. I liked it.

honeykid 09-06-14 10:52 AM

There's tons of Donnie Dark fans here. Or, at least, there used to be. I still think you'll find one or two, though.

BTW, Donnie Dark was listed as horror? There's another one for me to rail against.

Citizen Rules 09-06-14 02:13 PM

Honeykid did you see Donnie Darko? If so did you know beforehand what the movie was about? (same questions to anyone who's seen it)

I was impressed by the first part of the movie. It set up a mystery as to what the heck is wrong with Donnie? Or maybe he's fine? To me the mystery was the best part.

After they mentioned Donnie taking meds, I figured that the 6 foot tall, talking rabbit and cryptic messages of destruction would be, us the viewer, seeing through Donnie's eyes as if his hallucinations were real. I half expected the end to be an expose on a mass school shooting as seen inside-out, through the eyes of a deranged person.

Hitchcock and Rod Sterling would have liked Donnie Darko

honeykid 09-06-14 04:41 PM

Yes I've seen DD and yes I knew what it was about before I saw it. However, despite it being the internet buzz film at the time, I was waiting for months for this to be released, let alone seen, I only knew about it and cared about it because Drew was in it. :D I think I watched it twice but, TBH, I don't really remember anything much about it, not helped by it being so complicated, of course. :)

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...673a4b1e4c.jpg
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...1904328c8a.jpg

I know I liked it, but I doubt I could answer many/any questions you have about it without seeing it again.

Citizen Rules 09-06-14 06:06 PM

That's cool, I can't remember the details of a movie for more than a few days. In a month I'll hardly remember seeing Donnie Darko.

"I only knew about it and cared about it because Drew was in it.
"

Drew is the only actresses I know who will put a smile on your face in almost any movie she is in. She just radiates happiness in most all roles.

Did you see here in Grey Gardens? I thought she really earned her Barrymore name in that movie. I was impressed!

Citizen Rules 09-09-14 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pearl of the South Pacific

A rather obscure RKO film from 1955. What makes it somewhat interesting to film history buffs, it's one of the few, 3 strip technicolor films to shoot on location outside of the USA. Many of the exterior shots were done in Hawaii. I bet those idyllic beaches with nothing more than sand and palm trees swaying in the wind, are now dotted with hotels.

Virginia Mayo is the lead, it's her movie. She is watchable as the pearl seeking scoundrel, posing as a missionary to dupe the inhabitants of a remote island into giving her the priceless black pearls. Virginia looks real good in this too.

Dennis Morgan, a former leading man at Warner Bros in the 1940s, also stars. Here he's older and more surly too. Morgan plays a former flame of Virginia Mayo. Is he still carrying a torch for her? Or is he out to get the pearls for himself?

Legend has it that the very octopus monster prop used in this movie was also used by two great directors: Cecil B.De Mille and Ed Wood.

Pearl of the South Pacific is not a deep movie and yes there's some plot holes in it. But it's fun, it has it's moments and Virginia Mayo in Technicolor.

mark f 09-09-14 12:37 AM

It would fit nicely in a double bill with the Ed Wood octopus movie, Bride of the Monster, since it's about equal in the quality department. :)

honeykid 09-09-14 07:13 AM

The pic for Pearl of the South Pacific isn't working for me. Anyone else see it?

gbgoodies 09-09-14 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1165655)
The pic for Pearl of the South Pacific isn't working for me. Anyone else see it?

If you right-click on the little white box, choose "Copy image URL", and paste it into the address bar of your browser, you should be able to see the picture.

Citizen Rules 09-09-14 02:41 PM

The picture was there, now it's not, why is that? This has happened to me before with my MoFo post. Help please?

Yoda 09-09-14 02:46 PM

The site you got the image from blocks "hotlinking"--IE: images embedded on external sites. It works fine when you access it because you're accessing it directly, rather than "through" this page.

Citizen Rules 09-09-14 02:53 PM

Thanks, I'll try to keep a mental note of which ones do that.

Yoda 09-09-14 02:56 PM

Sounds good. Additionally, you can hit Preview Post and see if it shows up there, first. Or upload images to a free hosting site like www.imgur.com, which is the first/best choice for most people here.

Citizen Rules 09-11-14 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I wanted to like this movie that was acted/directed/script written and produced by George Clooney...a 2014 production, telling the real tale of a group of U.S. service men seeking to recover stolen art, gold and valuables taken by the Nazis during WWII.

I should have liked this film. It's a period piece, has great sets and art direction and has an interesting premise based on historical events. To that mix add in, two first class actors George Clooney and Cate Blanchett. This movie should have scored big.

It didn't...it fell short of connecting with me in any emotional way. It neither showed the inner lives of these men, nor did it create excitement with the hunt for priceless stolen art.

Instead it relied on too many vignette sub-stories that might have been interesting had they been fleshed out more. Cate Blanchett's story line was the most intriguing but there wasn't enough of it. As usual Matt Damon was stoic. The movie attempts humor that comes off as forced and silly.

A MoFo'er said this movie had 'strange annoying tonal shifts'. He was right! The interior scenes are nicely lightened with warm gold colors and shadowing. BUT when the scenes go to an exterior shot, they are over bright with a white-blue light that looks like something shot in the 1970s on video tape. I wonder if Clooney intended that look? It's almost like they forgot to post production the color and exposure on the exteriors.

seanc 09-11-14 03:20 PM

Has there been a movie that felt more like a wasted opportunity than Monuments Men the last five years? I actually rated it quite a bit lower than you. Really forgettable, which is the last thing it should have been.

Citizen Rules 09-11-14 03:25 PM

Well said Seanc, a wasted opportunity says it all.

I gave it 3/5 for the subject and sets. But as a story, yup I agree it could be rated lower.

I've seen documentaries on the search and recovery of the stolen art which were more entertaining than the movie.

honeykid 09-11-14 04:05 PM

Documentaries usually are more entertaining than movies. Well, C21st movies, anyway. ;)

gbgoodies 09-11-14 05:09 PM

I completely agree about The Monuments Men. It was one of those movies that I really wanted to see it as soon as I saw the trailer, and I had high hopes for it because of its subject and cast, but I was disappointed. It was a completely forgettable movie.

Citizen Rules 09-12-14 02:42 PM

I'm always up for a good WWII film, and it doesn't have to have lots of fighting in it. Actually I prefer more of the human side of the story.

I requested Inglourious Basterds (2009) so hopefully that one will be better. If you guys have other recommendations they would be welcomed.

honeykid 09-12-14 04:17 PM

Yeah, my recommendation is don't watch Inglorious Basterds. :p

I'd recommend this one, instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pUyYJS5pM

Daniel M 09-12-14 05:05 PM

Ignore HK, Inglourious Basterds is a blast, don't take it too seriously (people seem to complain about its moral standing) and treat it like a kind of comic book style film and it should be a whole lot of fun.

Captain Spaulding 09-12-14 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1168263)
Yeah, my recommendation is don't watch Inglorious Basterds. :p
And my recommendation is don't listen to honeykid. ;)

Yoda 09-12-14 05:12 PM

I second both sentiments.

Basterds is the closest Tarantino will likely ever get to the heights of Pulp Fiction again. Absolutely tremendous. Probably seen it ten times now.

Citizen Rules 09-13-14 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. Inglourious Basterds is a prime example of an auteur's stamp on his movie. If you like Quentin you'll probably like this movie. If you don't like him, well then be prepared for a Quentinesque film.

Inglourious Basterds
is an 'alternative history' movie with a pulp comic book feel. Some of the scenes are ultra violent, with closeups of human scalping and brutality. Brad Pitt is good at delivering a believable southern accent without going over the top. To bad Christoph Waltz, who does play a mean Nazi with gusto, couldn't lose his British accent.

The filming technique looks great and Tarantino makes good use of wide angle lenses, but he over does the extreme facial close ups. An overly distracting soundtrack, made of an ecliptic collection of music styles...ranging from David Bowie to old Spaghetti Western Spanish Guitar, is used during the film, no doubt an homage to the 1978 Italian film of the same name.

Quentin obliviously thinks his audience is inattentive as text labels for the name of key Nazis are inserted into the film with an arrow pointing at the correct actor...just in case we weren't paying attention to who the Nazis were. Even more annoying is a rather lengthy voice over narrative, explaining to the viewer just how flammable old film nitrate stock is. It matters not that the characters have already discussed the flammability of nitrate film in laying out their attentions to burn down a building with top ranking Nazis in it.

The director repeats this behavior by showing us an unnecessary flash back of the lead actress, a Jewish girl, escaping the Nazis. But wait a minute the entire 1st act already showed us that very scene.

Inglourious Basterds had a great look and a good working script but Quentin killed it in post production. Turning the film into kitsch.

gbgoodies 09-13-14 09:15 PM

I watched Inglourious Basterds for the Movie Tournament recently, but all I really remember about it is that I didn't like it.

But I'm not a fan of Quentin Tarantino, and as always, I seem to be in the minority again. :shrug:

Citizen Rules 09-13-14 09:19 PM

Not a fan either after this film. It will be a long time before I watch one of his movies again. And back in the day I did like Pulp Fiction.

honeykid 09-13-14 09:39 PM

See, occasionally, HK knows what he's talking about. :D TBF, I disliked it more than you because I found it dull and completely lacking in the dialogue department and I thought Christoph Waltz gave a horrible performance. Love 90's Tarantino, even the mess of a script that is From Dusk Till Dawn manages to work, mostly due to the performaces and the sheer audacity of the genre change which you go with because you're having fun However, with the exception of Death Proof, everything else has failed for me and, were I not such a fan of exploitation films, I doubt that would've worked for me, either.

mark f 09-13-14 09:53 PM

I don't see how you can rate Monuments Men higher than Inglourious Basterds, but what do I know? :)

honeykid 09-13-14 09:55 PM

I've not seen Monuments Men, so I can. :D

cricket 09-13-14 10:20 PM

Basterds was a little disappointing for me but I still think it was well above average. Even a lesser Tarantino movie has great moments with interesting characters and at least some terrific dialogue.

seanc 09-13-14 10:29 PM

Oh Citizen, I don't even know what to say. Basterds had me hooked from the opening scene which I find to be one of the most intense I have ever seen. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. Just remember if you agree with HK you will be on the wrong side of the argument more often than not.;)

honeykid 09-13-14 10:42 PM

The wrong side of the argument, maybe, but correct nonetheless. ;)

Swan 09-13-14 10:45 PM

I've said it a million times. The script is better than the movie.

seanc 09-13-14 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1170082)
I've said it a million times. The script is better than the movie.
Factually incorrect statements don't need to be repeated Swan, especially that many times.:p

Swan 09-13-14 10:48 PM

Have you read the script? It adds backstory to the characters.

I'm not dissing the movie. I like the movie. :p

Citizen Rules 09-13-14 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1170007)
I don't see how you can rate Monuments Men higher than Inglourious Basterds, but what do I know? :)
Mark that's a fair question.

I really don't like to rate movies as it's such a personal decision. But to answer you:

I found Monuments Men lacking in character and plot but I didn't have a grievance with it.

Inglourious Basterds made me mad at the waste of good film footage ruined by cheesy music score and cheesy word labels popping on the screen. But mostly I found the retelling of what I was just told, maddening. It was a dumbing down of the movie. I think us movie watchers are smarter than Quentin believes we are.

seanc 09-13-14 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1170093)
Have you read the script? It adds backstory to the characters.

I'm not dissing the movie. I like the movie. :p
No, I don't think I have ever just read a script. I am not sure how much I would enjoy that. Also, I know just horsing around.

Swan 09-13-14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1170098)
No, I don't think I have ever just read a script. I am not sure how much I would enjoy that. Also, I know just horsing around.
No worries. It's a good script. If you ever get into scripts, check it out. :)

Citizen Rules 09-13-14 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1169995)
See, occasionally, HK knows what he's talking about. :D
You called it right with your comic book comment. And see, I paid homage to you by using 'comic' in my review.

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1170050)
Basterds had me hooked from the opening scene which I find to be one of the most intense I have ever seen.
I would agree with you. I never found it boring or slow. In fact if the post production stuff had been handled differently I would have really liked it. Well except for the rewriting history of WWII. Not sure where I stand with that.

I think the script was tight for the most part. No complaints there.

seanc 09-13-14 11:05 PM

I never really thought of the things you talked about as dumbing down. Of all your points that may be the one I could get on board with. As for rewriting history, I have never got that argument. Tarantino is not presenting history. He is presenting a fantasy set during WWII. I always love Tarantino's music choices. It is one of those things I would not want every director to do but it always works as part of his aesthetic.

Citizen Rules 09-13-14 11:25 PM

A good example of over explaining or 'dumbing down' to the audience is in Act 1. The Gestapo officer, Col. Landa is speaking French with the farmer. So the director wants to switch to English for the audiences sake. Which is common and understandable.

Most directors would have used a one or two line transition to make sense of why they start speaking English. An example might be like: " Oh, but my French is poor, may we converse in English?"

But Quentin took the long way around, he must have taken a couple minutes of dialogue just to say, 'let's speak English.'

In itself it would be no big deal but he repeated the over explaining to a number of times. Especially with the VO explanation of the nitrate film.

But don't get me wrong. I didn't say it was a lame movie, in fact I said those who like Tarantino's style should like it. He nailed it, for what he wanted to do. But for me that's not what I wanted to see.

Citizen Rules 09-19-14 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Swiss Family Robinson
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1513480037

Walt Disney Production...1960
Ken Annakin...Director

Starring: John Mills, Dorothy McGuire, James MacArthur, Janet Munro, Tommy Kirk, Kevin Corcoran

Shooting Location: Tobago, Caribbean

Swiss Family Robinson is the quintessential Disney movie made during the years when Walt Disney himself headed production. Walt was very enthusiastic about making this film and ear marked a large budget for this expensive extravagance.

Most of the film was shot on location on the Caribbean island of Tobago. Not an easy task in 1960 as the island had little infrastructure and most everything had to be imported for the crew. Some of the most elaborate sets ever built by Disney are in this film. Including a full scale build up of a wrecked sailing ship, built on the islands reef. And a very cool, multi layer tree house, built in one very big tree. The tree house was latter recreated as an attraction at Disney Land.

The Disney version of the classic 1812 novel bears little resembles to the book. Walt Disney started production in a unique way, by asking a question of the writers, 'What neat stuff should be on a tropical island?' The writers came up with pirates, wild animals, a tree house, a swamp with a large snake, sibling rivalry, a pretty girl and family togetherness. They then story boarded the movie and finally wrote the script from the story boards.

George Lucas loved Swiss Family Robinson so much that he named a famous Star Wars character after the director.

So was the movie any good...Yes! It's interesting with many different adventures happening to the castaways, good characters played by skilled actors. All done in a G rated family fun, Disney style.

seanc 09-19-14 01:35 PM

Absolutely loved Swiss Family when I was a kid. I have seen it so much I don't know that I will ever revisit it. It would be interesting to see how adult me feels about it though because I no longer consider it a favorite.

Citizen Rules 09-19-14 01:58 PM

Sean, same for me. I hadn't seen it since the 70s. I wasn't into the pirate story so much this time around. But I was more into the overall adventure of a family working together. I was amazed at the location and sets.

I should have added to my review that I loved the DVD extras. There were several documentaries on making the film, showing just how elaborate it was. On a negative side they did some risky and questionable animals stunts.

gbgoodies 09-19-14 02:02 PM

I don't remember if I saw Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid or not. I think I saw The Adventures of the Wilderness Family, and maybe Mountain Family Robinson, but I get all those old "family" movies confused now that I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be.

I'll have to watch all of them again when I have some time.

Is the more recent movie Meet the Robinsons a remake of any of those movies?

Citizen Rules 09-19-14 02:28 PM

Meet the Robinsons doesn't sound like the same movie. There's been many films based on Swiss Family Robinson.

Swiss Family Robinson TV series from 75-76 with Martin Milner.

Also a 1975 movie with Helen Hunt.

The Adventures of Swiss Family Robinson 1998 with Richard Thomas aka John Boy

The New Swiss Family Robinson 1998 with Jane Seymour and David Carradine.

Swiss Family Robinson 1959 with Patty Duke and Dennis Hopper ( a scary combination)

Swiss Family Robinson 1940 with nobody who's name I recognize.

Finally a 1973 TV movie too.

honeykid 09-19-14 03:03 PM

I remember seeing this at school on a Saturday morning. We had to buy a ticket and then we watched it in the assembly hall. I think it started about 11:30am. :D I remember liking it, but apart for the big treehouse, I remember nothing about it.

seanc 09-19-14 03:10 PM

@Citizen. I loved the pirate stuff as well. I also remember really liking the love triangle, which is weird for a kid. I always felt so bad for the middle brother and his"silly hat". The final pirate show down was epic for a kid. Home Alone is just a pretender next to Swiss Family.

gbgoodies 09-19-14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1173375)
Meet the Robinsons doesn't sound like the same movie. There's been many films based on Swiss Family Robinson.

Swiss Family Robinson TV series from 75-76 with Martin Milner.

Also a 1975 movie with Helen Hunt.

The Adventures of Swiss Family Robinson 1998 with Richard Thomas aka John Boy

The New Swiss Family Robinson 1998 with Jane Seymour and David Carradine.

Swiss Family Robinson 1959 with Patty Duke and Dennis Hopper ( a scary combination)

Swiss Family Robinson 1940 with nobody who's name I recognize.

Finally a 1973 TV movie too.

Wow, that's a lot of remakes. How many of those versions have you seen?

Miss Vicky 09-19-14 03:20 PM

Meet the Robinsons has nothing to do with Swiss Family Robinson.

It's about an orphan boy who time travels.

Citizen Rules 09-19-14 03:34 PM

Honey Kid....me too, I remembered only one thing, the tree house!

Sean...yup, it was a bit sad for the middle brother who had a crush on the girl, while the older brother had the girls attention.

GBG...I've only seen this one. But I want to see the others. Especially the Jane Seymour one.

gbgoodies 09-19-14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1173384)
Meet the Robinsons has nothing to do with Swiss Family Robinson.

It's about an orphan boy who time travels.

Meet the Robinsons is on my animation watchlist. I bought the DVD at a garage sale last year, but I haven't watched it yet.

honeykid 09-19-14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1173385)
GBG...I've only seen this one. But I want to see the others. Especially the Jane Seymour one.
Really? Why? ;)

http://media.mademan.com/chickipedia...mb_585x795.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6jcXinvqbu...ur-photo38.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...amko1_1280.jpg

Citizen Rules 09-25-14 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
South Pacific (1958) Based on the wildly successful Rodgers & Hammerstein stage play of the same name. This set a record for a newly released movie, playing contentiously at the same theater in London for 4 1/2 years.

One of only 20 films that was made in Super Wide Screen, Todd AO 70mm print.

One of the most unique aspects of South Pacific is the usage of colored lens filters to give various scenes a monochromatic look. Reportedly after the film was processed the effects of the filters became more pronounced which disappointed the director, Joshua Logan. Prompting him to call the filters his worst idea ever.

Shot on location at Kauai Hawaii and set during WWII on a small South Pacific Island that is surrounded by Japanese Troops. In the distance looms the magical island of Bali Hai.

South Pacific was a big budget film that utilized leads that weren't familiar to mainstream American audiences at the time:

Rossano Brazzi a respected Italian stage actor, played a Frenchman who has escaped criminal charges in France, seeking refuge as a plantation owner in the South Pacific.

Mitzi Gaynor a relatively unknown actress, is an army nurse from a small town trying to see the world for the first time, while having to deal with her prejudices and love.

John Kerr is a Lieutenant sent on a dangerous mission to land on a nearby Japanese held island. He falls in love with a young native girl from Bali Hai, played by newcomer France Nuyen. He too must deal with his own prejudices and the choices he makes for love.

Juanita Hall plays a colorful character, 'Bloody Mary' who profits from selling grass skirts to the Americans and is looking for a husband for her young beautiful daughter.

Character actor Ray Walston also has a small but fun roll, playing a rogue who profits from the war.

South Pacific has one of the greatest Rodgers and Hammerstein score of any musical film. And is the only movie based on one of their plays to retain all of the original music numbers.

The film works on many levels. A great cast of talented actors. It's exotic, real world locations. An almost dreamy, cinematic look. The idea of a mystical island called Bali Hai, where life is idyllic and the native girls are friendly. In sharp juxtaposition is the prejudices and the deadliness of war.

If you haven't seen South Pacific, give it a try. You too might what to visit Bali Hai.

Citizen Rules 09-26-14 12:36 PM

OK, so I guess my review of South Pacific is too long:( or nobody likes musicals...

For my next review I'll make it shorter, I promise!

I want to thank Christine for recommending to me the next movie...

Citizen Rules 09-26-14 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537407715

The Innocents (1961)
Film Process CinemaScope 2.35:1 Black and White
Directed by Jack Clayton
Cinematography by Freddie Francis
Screenplay by William Archibald and Truman Capote
Film Editing by James Clark

Based loosely on the 1898 classic novella, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. The movie is inaccurately referred to as a horror film. It's a Gothic story, with either a psychological twist or a supernatural one. The film cleverly allows the viewer to ultimately decide if the ghost are real or a figment of the young governesses imagination. The Innocents has more in common with films like Rebecca (1940) or Wuthering Heights (1939) than it does with other early 1960s horror films.

Deborah Kerr is well suited to play the young governess hired to care for two young children at a 19th century British country estate. She seems like a proper British governess, cloistered and responsible, yet with a pensive more hidden side.

The cinematography of The Innocents is sublime. Each scene is composed like a work of art. The lighting is beautiful. The special effects and optical effects are remarkable. The story itself is intelligent and thought provoking, giving the viewer the chance to finalize the meaning of the story for themselves.

gbgoodies 09-26-14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1178400)
OK, so I guess my review of South Pacific is too long:( or nobody likes musicals...

For my next review I'll make it shorter, I promise!

I want to thank Christine for recommending to me the next movie...

Sorry Rules, somehow I missed your post about South Pacific yesterday.

I like the movie South Pacific, but it's not one of my favorite musicals. The songs are great, but the movie seems to lack something that most of the other musicals of that era seemed to have.

If you like the movie South Pacific, you should watch the concert version with Reba McEntire and Brian Stokes Mitchell. It was part of the PBS series "Great Performances". It's called "South Pacific in Concert from Carnegie Hall", and it's available on DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0798459/reference

christine 09-26-14 03:07 PM

Citizen, glad you liked The Innocents :)
I always thought that the bit where

WARNING: "plot spoilers" spoilers below
The kid kisses her on the lips was really shocking, and when she does it to him at the end - something very disturbing about that

Citizen Rules 09-26-14 03:39 PM

GBG, I haven't seen South Pacific in Concert from Carnegie Hall but I have seen the remake with Glen Close. The remake was a better story line, but I really liked Mitzi Gaynor in the original. She was fresh faced and real. I liked her so much that I watched all of her 1970s TV specials.

Christine
, that scene in the spoiler was a bit shocking! And gave the movie more ambiance. I didn't realize I had seen another version of this until I stared watching the movie last night. I've seen twice The Turn of the Screw (1999) with Colin Firth. I liked that version pretty well too. Did anybody else think Deborah Kerr looked liked a young Agnes Moorehead in this?

gbgoodies 09-26-14 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1178471)
GBG, I haven't seen South Pacific in Concert from Carnegie Hall but I have seen the remake with Glen Close. The remake was a better story line, but I really liked Mitzi Gaynor in the original. She was fresh faced and real. I liked her so much that I watched all of her 1970s TV specials.
I saw the remake with Glenn Close, but it wasn't as good as the original movie, or the version with Reba. I thought that most of the voices were too weak for the music, and I didn't like that they removed the song "Happy Talk". Also, I usually like Harry Connick Jr, but he didn't shine in that part like I thought he would have.

The version with Reba is on YouTube. The whole show is in parts, but it's there. Here's a link to part one. (You should be able to find the rest from there.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wouQthkuvA

This is my favorite song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSyCiIkOde8

This is another highlight from that version. Reba and Alec Baldwin singing "Honey Bun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsSnEkrcQic

Citizen Rules 09-26-14 04:12 PM

Thanks! I'll have to check out the entire show. Happy Talk and Honey Bun were both great numbers.

Did you know that the young native girl in the original movie, France Nuyen was also Elaan of Troyius

And the next night I seen her in another movie that I should do a mini review for, it's from 1962 and set in Hawaii.

gbgoodies 09-26-14 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1178477)
Did you know that the young native girl in the original movie, France Nuyen was also Elaan of Troyius
No, I didn't know that she was in South Pacific. ("Elaan of Troyius" is not one if the better "Star Trek" episodes.)

honeykid 09-27-14 06:37 AM

Not a fan of musicals, however, when I saw this thread had updated yesterday the last post I could see was mine. Maybe it was the same for others?

Anyway, The Innocents is a wonderful film. So atmospheric and I love that with a horror/creepy thriller.

Citizen Rules 09-27-14 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1178856)
Not a fan of musicals, however, when I saw this thread had updated yesterday the last post I could see was mine. Maybe it was the same for others?
Yah, that's true. It was a temporary glitch, caused by me using 2 tabs to make 2 different post simultaneously on this thread. I believe Yoda has fixed it.:)

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1178856)
Anyway, The Innocents is a wonderful film. So atmospheric and I love that with a horror/creepy thriller.
As much as I really liked that film. I thought the scene where the Governess looks behind some shrubbery in the garden and sees an old statue with a bug crawling out it's nose to be laughable.

Citizen Rules 09-28-14 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Man in the Moon (1999)

Reese Witherspoon's first movie, she was only 15 in this film. A warm yet bittersweet coming of age film, about two sisters who both fall in love with the same guy. Set in the late 1950s on a rural farm in Louisiana. Reese plays Dani, a tomboyish 14 year old girl who befriends the new boy in town, named Court, played by Jason London. Problem is, Court has eyes for her older and prettier sister, played by Emily Warfield. The love triangle is soon tested when tragedy strikes.

Reese Witherspoon and Jason London both give fine performances as does the father played by Sam Waterston. The cinematography and music score is well done and enhances the subject matter. The Man in the Moon is a likeable film, albeit heartbreaking at times.

seanc 09-28-14 11:49 PM

You should try coming up with some kind of theme when watching a bunch of films.;) Thanks for the write up, unfortunately I haven't seen any to comment.

gbgoodies 09-29-14 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1179844)
Just some quick reviews of a few movies I seen recently & enjoyed.

The Man in the Moon (1999) Reese Witherspoon's first movie, she was only 15 in this film. A nice film about 2 sisters who both fall in love with the same guy. Set in the late 50s in the rural south.

Destination Moon (1950) and in Technicolor too. An intelligent attempt to show actual travel to the Moon to a 1950s audience. The story is rather dry, but what's impressive is the amount of accuracy about space travel that the movie get's right.

I haven't seen First Men on the Moon, but I've seen the other two movies.

The Man in the Moon was a very good movie, but it was also very sad at times. I saw it years ago, and as I recall it's kind of hard to watch because of the heavy drama involved, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes coming-of-age dramas.

I watched Destination Moon a while back on the same night with a couple of other similar movies, so I may be mixing it up with another movie, (probably Countdown or Marooned), but as I recall it was a good sci-fi movie that tries to make you feel the danger that the astronauts are in, so you can really relate to the characters. I remember it got off to a slow start, but it was worth the wait because it got more exciting, and felt more dangerous as the movie went on.

If you're looking for a movie with high-end special effects, this might not be the right movie, but if you're just looking for a good sci-fi story about the dangers of traveling to the moon, than this is worth a watch.

honeykid 09-29-14 04:56 AM

+ rep because I like Destination Moon. :up: I've not seen the other two.

Citizen Rules 09-29-14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1179855)
I haven't seen First Men on the Moon, but I've seen the other two movies.
There's a version of that silent film where an actor does an off screen reading of the original working script. This is done while the original silent movie plays.

I found that very interesting as I had no idea what many of the scenes were representing.

Citizen Rules 10-10-14 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dead Man
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537479271

I like Depp. He's good in most anything he does, even if the film itself doesn't work so well. Luckily Dead Man does work.

Depp was on a roll in the mid 90s. Following his success with: Edward Scissorhands (1990), What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Benny and Joon (1993) and Ed Wood (1994), he made this avant garde western, Dead Man (1995).

Filmed in glorious black & white by director/writer Jim Jarmusch. Dead Man tells the off beat tale of William Blake, a young man jilted by his fiance who hops on a train and heads to a desolate western town called Machine. There he finds himself without a job, without any money and with a murder wrap hanging over him...for killing the son of the town boss and bully, Robert Mitchum. And heaven help the man who messes with Robert Mitchum!

What follows is a uniquely different type of film as Depp is forced to go on the lamb, where he meets a Native American Indian and is mistaken for the poet William Blake.

What makes this movie unique is it's use of ecliptic symbolism and atypical story narrative, which suits Depp's style of acting to a tee.

seanc 10-11-14 12:17 AM

Dead Man has been in the Netflix que for months. I need to get to it. I have watched a couple Jarmusch this year and have enjoyed them both. Love hasn't taken hold yet though.

rauldc14 10-11-14 12:18 AM

I didn't much care for Dead Man. I preferred Jarmusch's Stranger than Paradise.

Citizen Rules 10-11-14 05:36 PM

The only negative thing I can say about Dead Man is that the music score consisted of a electric guitar that played the same notes over and over and over, very loudly too. The guitar score was at least twice as loud as the actors dialogue and became grating on my nerves.

gbgoodies 10-11-14 06:19 PM

I'm not a big Johnny Depp fan, but I watched Dead Man a few months ago for the Movie Tournament. I don't remember a lot about it, but as I recall, I liked the movie, and I thought the music was a good match for the tone of the movie. I'll have to re-watch it when I get a chance.

Citizen Rules 10-13-14 12:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Never Let Me Go
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1491843482

What a beautifully made movie Never Let Me Go is. The art direction, the lighting and the scenes are stunningly beautiful. The cinematography is carefully controlled, sublime. The color pallet of the film is soft pastels, filmed in soft diffusion. Like a work of art from the 19th century French Impressionist, Never Let Me Go (2010) is minimalist cinema fused with art.

Based on the best selling novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. The film tells the somber story of a group of children raised in isolation at a British boarding school in 1975. The students are clones, whose only purpose in life is to be organ donors for others. As they graduate from school and enter adult hood they are moved to communal living quarters, where they await their assignments as organ donors.

The director Mark Romanek does a superb job of delivering a subtle, somber story, done with ambiance and self reflection. From the cinematography to the haunting music score, every element of the film is in harmony with the soulful storyline.

Academy nominated, Carey Mulligan plays a young woman-donor clone, coming to grips with the meaning of her short life. Academy nominated, Keira Knightley along with Andrew Garfield make up the fine cast of talented British actors, who make the film so believable.

Don't think for a moment that Never Let Me Go, is sci fi, it's not. Don't think it's about people fighting back and escaping their fate, it's not. The film, like the book is a metaphor for what we strive for, a meaning to our existence.

seanc 10-13-14 12:17 AM

Wow. I need to see this. Never remember hearing about it.

gbgoodies 10-13-14 12:58 AM

I've never even heard of Never Let Me Go, but from your review, it sounds like it could be interesting. Not too many movies get a 5-star rating and review, so based on your rating, I'll definitely look for this movie.

Citizen Rules 10-13-14 04:48 PM

I rarely give a movie 5 stars. This movie impressed me. It touched me.

It's not for everyone. It's not action. It's not CG. It's not fast paced.

It forces the viewer to dig into the story and to reflect on our own existences. It's a minimalist work in all ways.

I would hope those who appreciate cinema as art, would watch Never Let Me Go.

gbgoodies 10-13-14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1186934)
I rarely give a movie 5 stars. This movie impressed me. It touched me.

It's not for everyone. It's not action. It's not CG. It's not fast paced.

It forces the viewer to dig into the story and to reflect on our own existences. It's a minimalist work in all ways.

I would hope those who appreciate cinema as art, would watch Never Let Me Go.

I watched Never Let Me Go last night based on your recommendation, and it was amazing. I can certainly see why you gave it a 5 star rating.

It's a wonderful drama that feels more like a romance than a sci-fi. There's no action in this movie. Just an amazing story to focus on, and it has great acting from a young cast. This movie will definitely pull at your heartstrings.

I highly recommend this movie for anyone who likes good dramas. Great pick Citizen Rules. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Citizen Rules 10-14-14 02:52 PM

GBG, I only found the Never Let Me Go by browsing the Library shelves. I almost left it on the shelf too as I had never heard of it and the title didn't grab me.

The script was written by the same person who wrote Sunshine. Which was another poignant, somber movie, sans the silly horror scene that was tacked into the film.

I need to find more films like this one.

gbgoodies 10-14-14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1187456)
GBG, I only found the Never Let Me Go by browsing the Library shelves. I almost left it on the shelf too as I had never heard of it and the title didn't grab me.

The script was written by the same person who wrote Sunshine. Which was another poignant, somber movie, sans the silly horror scene that was tacked into the film.

I need to find more films like this one.

I think I saw Sunshine a while back. As I recall, it was a pretty good movie for about the first 2/3 - 3/4 of the movie, until they started with that garbage about Pinbacker.

Citizen Rules 10-14-14 03:15 PM

Exactly, Pinbacker scene blew! I bet a producer wanted that scene included for my ticket sales. I would rate Sunshine a solid 4 but that scene I give a 0. I still think about that movie sometimes though.

gbgoodies 10-14-14 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1187468)
Exactly, Pinbacker scene blew! I bet a producer wanted that scene included for my ticket sales. I would rate Sunshine a solid 4 but that scene I give a 0. I still think about that movie sometimes though.

I don't think I would give that movie such a high rating. Maybe without the Pinbacker scene, but with it, it's barely a 3 rating for me.