Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'... (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46980)

DAnconiaLead 10-11-16 11:42 AM

Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'...

Apparently, it is now a 'Halloween/October Tradition' for SJW's to whine about something they call 'Cultural Appropriation' every October (I've posted two articles below and there are many, many more such articles).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tume/#comments

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1603...n-hurts-us-all

However, before examining their arguments (which are universally stupid and nonsensical), it is necessary to ask; 'Is it possible to "appropriate" a culture'???

(The short answer is; NO)

When used as a verb (which it appears to be in this case), the term 'appropriate' means to; "verb əˈprōprēˌāt/ take (something) for one's own use, without the owner's permission." Since it is impossible to "take" a person's culture by using elements (such as traditions, food, art, manner-of-dress, etc.) from that culture, it is therefore impossible to "appropriate" a culture.

For example;

If a commercial-driver of Mexican ethnicity (and possibly nationality) and myself, who is mostly of Scotch-Irish descent, both receive loads going from Ontario, California to Ontario, Canada, both realize that we don't have enough cold weather clothing, and he purchases a Scotch-Irish sweater, while I purchase a wool poncho (I actually own several), neither of us has "taken" the other's culture since he is still free to purchase as many traditional Mexican ponchos as he desires and I am still free to purchase as many traditional Scotch-Irish sweaters as I desire. In short, the ability of neither party to enjoy a culture, in whole or in part, has been diminished by the fact that others use elements of that culture. The same holds true for art, language, culinary traditions, etc. If a person of Mexican descent makes corned-beef and a person of Scotch-Irish descent makes a burrito, neither the Mexican nor the Scotch-Irishman has been prevented from making their ethnicities "traditional/cultural dish" then, or in the future...

As a matter of fact, the more people use the physical elements of a culture, the less-expensive it should be for the ethnic members of that culture (and everyone else) to purchase the same items due to economy of scale. If only true 'native-Americans' were permitted to purchase buck-skin jackets, the small market would make it inefficient to produce these on an industrial-scale and they would be very expensive. Instead, myself and many other non-Natives own buck-skin jackets, expanding the market for these items, making it worthwhile to produce them on an industrial-scale, and therefore, making them less-expensive for true Native-Americans to purchase as well.

Also, cultural "borrowing" usually (as in "almost-always") goes both ways, illustrated by the fact that the same Native American who sold me the jacket was wearing jeans, which were invented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss, a pair of (very) White men...

It doesn't make any difference if the Mexican driver wears his sweater, the Native American merchant wears his jeans, or I wear my poncho on October 31, or any other day....

Yoda 10-11-16 12:01 PM

Re: Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'.

Unless/until you demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics you preach about, nobody's going to give a crap about these rants. Even people like myself who might be inclined to agree with them.

DAnconiaLead 10-11-16 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1591981)
Unless/until you demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics you preach about, nobody's going to give a crap about these rants. Even people like myself who might be inclined to agree with them.
How do my multiple examples NOT "demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics (I) (philosophize) about"???

Did you actually read what I wrote?

I mean; 'Read what I wrote, did you???'

TONGO 10-11-16 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1591974)
Apparently, it is now a 'Halloween/October Tradition' for SJW's to whine about something they call 'Cultural Appropriation' every October (I've posted two articles below and there are many, many more such articles).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tume/#comments

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1603...n-hurts-us-all

However, before examining their arguments (which are universally stupid and nonsensical), it is necessary to ask; 'Is it possible to "appropriate" a culture'???

When used as a verb (which it appears to be in this case), the term 'appropriate' means to; "verb əˈprōprēˌāt/ take (something) for one's own use, without the owner's permission." Since it is impossible to "take" a person's culture by using elements (such as traditions, food, art, manner-of-dress, etc.) from that culture, it is therefore impossible to "appropriate" a culture.

For example;

If a commercial-driver of Mexican ethnicity (and possibly nationality) and myself, who is mostly of Scotch-Irish descent, both receive loads going from Ontario, California to Ontario, Canada, both realize that we don't have enough cold weather clothing, and he purchases a Scotch-Irish sweater, while I purchase a wool poncho (I actually own several), neither of us has "taken" the other's culture since he is still free to purchase as many traditional Mexican ponchos as he desires and I am still free to purchase as many traditional Scotch-Irish sweaters as I desire. In short, the ability of neither party to enjoy a culture, in whole or in part, has been diminished by the fact that others use elements of that culture. The same holds true for art, language, culinary traditions, etc. If a person of Mexican descent makes corned-beef and a person of Scotch-Irish descent makes a burrito, neither the Mexican nor the Scotch-Irishman has been prevented from making their ethnicities "traditional/cultural dish" then, or in the future...

As a matter of fact, the more people use the physical elements of a culture, the less-expensive it should be for the ethnic members of that culture (and everyone else) to purchase the same items due to economy of scale. If only true 'native-Americans' were permitted to purchase buck-skin jackets, the small market would make it inefficient to produce these on an industrial-scale and they would be very expensive. Instead, myself and many other non-Natives own buck-skin jackets, expanding the market for these items, making it worthwhile to produce them on an industrial-scale, and therefore, making them less-expensive for true Native-Americans to purchase as well.

Also, cultural "borrowing" usually (as in "almost-always") goes both ways, illustrated by the fact that the same Native American who sold me the jacket was wearing jeans, which were invented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss, a pair of (very) White men...

It doesn't make any difference if the Mexican driver wears his sweater, the Native American merchant wears his jeans, or I wear my poncho on October 31, or any other day....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXU3VexbRs0

Yoda 10-11-16 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1591994)
How do my multiple examples NOT "demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics (I) (philosophize) about"???
Well, first, "responsiveness" cannot, by definition, be demonstrated in the initial post. It's demonstrated (or not) based on how you acknowledge or engage with replies and/or criticism. And in the past, you've basically completely refused to do so. You also have a history of posting lots of incendiary, easily-refuted nonsense.

So while I don't have much in the way of criticism about this particular thread (though the "whining" in the title is unnecessary), I'm not holding out a lot of hope that this'll be much different than anything else you've posted if anyone replies to it seriously.

DAnconiaLead 10-11-16 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1591997)
So while I don't have much in the way of criticism about this particular thread (though the "whining" in the title is unnecessary),

Nearly every 'argument' put forth by SJW's centers around the fact that they are "offended" by something.

Stephen Fry has assessed 'arguments' that are built upon personal offense and has correctly concluded that they are "nothing more then a whine"...

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.'"
Therefore, I would have to say that "whining" is an accurate description of every 'argument' spewed forth by the SJW movement since all their 'arguments' are based on claims of 'personal offense' by very "sensitive" (thin-skinned) individuals...

https://grrrgraphics.files.wordpress...n_garrison.jpg

TONGO 10-11-16 04:35 PM

:babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling::babbling:

mark f 10-11-16 04:56 PM

Isn't this thread just a whine?

Yoda 10-11-16 04:59 PM

See? I answered your question directly, and you chose to respond only to a largely meaningless aside about whether the word "whining" was called for, ignoring the actual point. Thanks for providing a perfect demonstration of what I was talking about.

Omnizoa 10-11-16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
Well, first, "responsiveness" cannot, by definition, be demonstrated in the initial post. It's demonstrated (or not) based on how you acknowledge or engage with replies and/or criticism. And in the past, you've basically completely refused to do so.
Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1592060)
Nearly every 'argument' put forth by SJW's centers around the fact that they are "offended" by something.
Case in point.

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead
Stephen Fry
Leave Stephen Fry out of this.

Tacitus 10-11-16 05:00 PM

Using the term 'SJW' in 2016 without a hint of irony and expecting meaningful discourse?

TONGO 10-11-16 05:02 PM

All I have to say is, my Damon Wayans video was spot-on and should have gotten some reps. Now thats the real travesty going on here! :yup:

matt72582 10-11-16 06:55 PM

I had to look up "SJW" - I'm guessing others didn't know but wouldn't ask. It means "Social Justice Warrior".

It's not a good sign when "justice" isn't considered a positive thing. I'm sure the image or person in your head isn't a good one, but no one is perfect, but if someone does good, let them wear their dreadlocks, even if what they do is pretentious. It's better than being pretentious and being a fan of injustice.

The Sci-Fi Slob 10-11-16 07:06 PM

I think Yoda hangs out with some very trendy and liberal people. He tends to dismiss right-wing views too quickly, and spouts his analytical bile to deflect the issue. I wouldn't class him as an SJW (he's not stupid), but he meets the description of a hipster, could be transgender or bisexual as well.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 10-11-16 07:10 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/fDO2Nk0ImzvvW/giphy.gif

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 07:11 PM

But Yoda is a conservative and has been in many an endless debate debating and promoting conservative views in said debates. I think he is more upset about the delivery of this message.

Captain Steel 10-11-16 07:17 PM

If trick-or-treaters come onto my porch, is it then considered a "safe space"?

If a child wears an ISIS costume and I see it, should I say something?

I know no one hands out apples anymore, but was a single razor blade EVER found inside one that was given out on Halloween?

Friendly Mushroom! 10-11-16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592144)
If trick-or-treaters come onto my porch, is it then considered a "safe space"?

If a child wears an ISIS costume and I see it, should I say something?

I know no one hands out apples anymore, but was a single razor blade EVER found inside one that was given out on Halloween?
I remember a local story from years ago when arsenic or something similar was found in a Halloween bag. The kids didn't die fortunately, but still it happened at least once in the Cleveland area once in my life.

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 07:24 PM

But as to the OP's post, yes the article I read is ridiculous. Cultural appropriation is a silly idea, and there are people in this world that just can't lighten up and see something at face value. Not everything is some sort of slight to a social minority. People who try and find imaginary racism, sexism, homophobia, species-ism, or whatever in every word, phrase, work of art, etc need to get a life. Halloween costumes are just that. Costumes. You don't like the costume don't buy it. But don't try and spoil the fun for other people.

There i summarized the op's post. Sweet and simple.

The Sci-Fi Slob 10-11-16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592143)
But Yoda is a conservative.
:laugh:

Yoda 10-11-16 07:29 PM

But Yoda is a conservative and has been in many an endless debate debating and promoting conservative views in said debates. I think he is more upset about the delivery of this message.
He's talking in code. When he says "conservative" he means "hates Jews."

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1592150)
Gotcha.

The Sci-Fi Slob 10-11-16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1592150)
And the mud-slinging Hillary supporter shows his true colours.

Captain Steel 10-11-16 07:36 PM

Off-topic, but one thing I've learned: never hold the bowl of candy out to a group of kids. You have to distribute the candy, but to hold the bowl out to a group of 4 or 5 leaves you with a nearly empty bowl. There is little political correctness among a horde or trick-or-treaters.

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592154)
Off-topic, but one thing I've learned never hold the bowl of candy out to a group of kids. You have to distribute the candy, but to hold the bowl out to a group of 4 or 5 leaves you with a nearly empty bowl. There is little political correctness among a horde or trick-or-treaters.
And don't even think of leaving a bowl and go by the honor system. Unless you are in the bushes with a paintball gun. :D There is no honor among trick or treaters either.

Captain Steel 10-11-16 07:42 PM

On topic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rIM9fPCTAs

Yoda 10-11-16 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob (Post 1592152)
And the mud-slinging Hillary supporter shows his true colours.
It's not mudslinging if it's true. And get out of here with that weak false dichotomy.

DAnconiaLead 10-11-16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1592139)
It's not a good sign when "justice" isn't considered a positive thing.

Merely because an organization or group has the word 'justice' in their name does not mean that they are actually working towards "justice" or that they are 'good' in any way. Taken out of context, even things like the 'Final Solution' sounds like a great thing because, after all, who wants a 'temporary solution'???

Continuing along those lines, there's actually an online game entitled 'StormFront or SJW' in which one player strips away all direct references to race/sex/gender in statements made on SJW boards, which received high ratings from other members (aka. other SJW's), and statements made on The StormFront Neo-Nazi message board that received high-ratings from the other board-members (aka. fellow Nazis), and the other players attempt to guess which statements were made on 'StormFront', and which were made on an SJW board.

Since a sizable percentage of SJW's express just as much hatred and bigotry towards 'Cisgender White Males' as Neo-Nazis do towards Jews, etc. and propose many of the same 'solutions' (including 'ovens'), this is a very difficult game;

Here's a video of someone playing 'StormFront or SJW' below...

If you choose to play along, please post your score;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZX5V4Qft4

The Sci-Fi Slob 10-11-16 07:51 PM

You just posted a swastika! After Yoda wipes the spit off his bottom, I predict a week ban for you.

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592158)
Remember when MTV was cool? It had to have been over a decade ago. The Gunslinger remembers. Remember when MTV played music videos? Gunslinger remembers.

Remember when some of their biggest shows included Bevis and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch?

The Gunslinger remembers. RIP MTV. You suck now.

The Sci-Fi Slob 10-11-16 07:56 PM

https://youtu.be/VuXNMkBJbNg

Saves me typing.

Yoda 10-11-16 07:57 PM

Aaaaand we're done here.

Captain Steel 10-11-16 07:57 PM

Captain Steel likes when other posters refer to themselves in the 3rd person!

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 08:05 PM

Oh and Daria! That was a great show. WTF happened MTV?

Omnizoa 10-11-16 08:22 PM

On topic...
That guy's increasingly annoying to listen to.

DAnconiaLead 10-11-16 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592170)
Two Words; Laci Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h19ruIfrWjM
(Above is Laci Green's SJW attack on Halloween; featured on MTV)

The Gunslinger45 10-11-16 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1592174)
Two Words; Laci Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h19ruIfrWjM
(Above is Laci Green's attack on Halloween; featured on MTV)
I would have gone with reality TV, but yeah that works too.

Sexy Celebrity 10-11-16 08:49 PM

Oh no. My Sci-Fi Slob is banned.

earlsmoviepicks 10-11-16 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592154)
Off-topic, but one thing I've learned: never hold the bowl of candy out to a group of kids. You have to distribute the candy, but to hold the bowl out to a group of 4 or 5 leaves you with a nearly empty bowl. There is little political correctness among a horde or trick-or-treaters.
if you really want to have fun, hold up the entire bag of candy and tell them to fight each other for it--kid left standing gets the entire bag. not really ethical, safe or politically correct, but your Halloween night will be more entertaining

DAnconiaLead 10-11-16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 1592189)
if you really want to have fun, hold up the entire bag of candy and tell them to fight each other for it--kid left standing gets the entire bag. not really ethical, safe or politically correct, but your Halloween night will be more entertaining

In an aside; I used to freeze paintballs prior to 'Mischief Night' (the day after Halloween) and then lay in a hide in or around my parents property, wearing a ghillie suit to 'snipe' the egg throwers....

There are few things more fun then watching a frozen paintball shatter an egg-throwers entire carton...except for when I hit one of them in the chest with a slightly de-frosted red paint-ball and he moaned/screamed as though he thought he was dying :D

Great childhood memories!!!

Captain Steel 10-11-16 09:36 PM

Isn't "Mischief Night" the day before Halloween? (basically Halloween Eve?)

Iroquois 10-11-16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1591974)

See, when you start off by saying that any arguments that run counter to your perspective are "universally stupid and nonsensical", how on Earth do you expect there to be any kind of reasonable discussion or anything of that sort?

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1592060)

Stephen Fry has assessed 'arguments' that are built upon personal offense and has correctly concluded that they are "nothing more then a whine"...

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.'"
Therefore, I would have to say that "whining" is an accurate description of every 'argument' spewed forth by the SJW movement since all their 'arguments' are based on claims of 'personal offense' by very "sensitive" (thin-skinned) individuals...
If I had a dollar for every time an anti-SJW type quoted the words of an openly gay man with mental illness in order to justify being offensive...

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592148)
But as to the OP's post, yes the article I read is ridiculous. Cultural appropriation is a silly idea, and there are people in this world that just can't lighten up and see something at face value. Not everything is some sort of slight to a social minority. People who try and find imaginary racism, sexism, homophobia, species-ism, or whatever in every word, phrase, work of art, etc need to get a life. Halloween costumes are just that. Costumes. You don't like the costume don't buy it. But don't try and spoil the fun for other people.

There i summarized the op's post. Sweet and simple.
Just because "not everything" is some sort of slight doesn't mean that this particular thing isn't. I'm also not sure how the "if you don't like it, don't do it" thing applies when it's quite obvious that the only people doing it are the ones who do like it, don't understand the problem, or just don't care. I can understand the complaints - looking up "sexist halloween costumes" on Google does yield some especially absurd results as the female versions of character costumes are mangled in order to make the wearers look "sexy", and that's without going into those that would count as racist. There were even people who would dress up as Trayvon Martin complete with blackface and blood-soaked hoodies. That's without counting the ways in which the sexism and racism overlap - a "sexy Indian" costume really doesn't look good considering America's history of rape and genocide against Native Americans. At this point, it stops being "just a costume" and actually does start being a cog in an oppressive machine - you may be able to afford to shrug it off, but you cannot presume that everyone can do the same.

On topic...
What a headache, especially one that skims over how the Confederate flag does have racist connotations that would make dressing up your kid as a Confederate officer very questionable.

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592164)
Remember when MTV was cool? It had to have been over a decade ago. The Gunslinger remembers. Remember when MTV played music videos? Gunslinger remembers.

Remember when some of their biggest shows included Bevis and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch?

The Gunslinger remembers. RIP MTV. You suck now.
This is the worst Cormac McCarthy impression I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592170)
Odd pick considering how Daria has a strong liberal bent.

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1592172)
That guy's increasingly annoying to listen to.
He's like a Bizarro John Oliver.

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1592195)
In an aside; I used to freeze paintballs prior to 'Mischief Night' (the day after Halloween) and then lay in a hide in or around my parents property, wearing a ghillie suit to 'snipe' the egg throwers....

There are few things more fun then watching a frozen paintball shatter an egg-throwers entire carton...except for when I hit one of them in the chest with a slightly de-frosted red paint-ball and he moaned/screamed as though he thought he was dying :D

Jesus.

The Gunslinger45 10-12-16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1592234)

Odd pick considering how Daria has a strong liberal bent.
It was a good show. An engaging lead, good characters, good writing, and I really enjoyed the musical episode. Not seeing what is so odd with me liking the show, but whatever bro. :shrug:

Iroquois 10-12-16 12:10 AM

It seems a little at odds with the views you've expressed in this thread.

Camo 10-12-16 12:14 AM

Do people only watch shows that line up with their views?

The Gunslinger45 10-12-16 12:15 AM

I think someone complaining about Halloween costumes is silly and how MTV sucks now a days and that means I can't enjoy a cartoon about a uber cynical teenager and the life she inhabits?

TONGO 10-12-16 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1592239)
Oh let him like Daria if he likes Daria! What the hell man? :laugh: I can see calling the show bad if you dont like it, but dont waste your time trying to deprogram him from it. :nope:

The Gunslinger45 10-12-16 12:22 AM

Hey I ain't PC, but good TV is good TV.

TONGO 10-12-16 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592246)
This thread.........

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/dc/dcedf...10c898f622.jpg

Omnizoa 10-12-16 12:32 AM

He's like a Bizarro John Oliver.
I stumbled upon his videos one day and began watching them since I had entered them through one of these sorts of topics where he was making long overdue and agreeable points.

Then I realized he's just got this permanent exasperated tone all the time and it gave me the distinct impression that he's not the sort of person who's open to having his views challenged.

The Gunslinger45 10-12-16 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1592248)
Oppression my ass. :lol:

EDIT: Dammit Tongo you edited your post before I could quote it!

Captain Steel 10-12-16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1592239)
I'm not attacking you, but there's this idea that people fit into categories or boxes and cannot (or should not) go beyond the borders of the label that others assign them.

The reason I'm "independent" in every respect is I've always had a problem with this concept. I'm so diverse in my own mind that I sometimes confuse myself - my inner monologue is like eight different people arguing as I try to consider, analyze and process multiple perspectives.

Most people are very complicated and their personalities & characters are made up of a whole bunch of lifetime influences, interests & perspectives (sometimes conflicting ones).

I remember studying this psychology program that was supposed to help you in business by figuring out how to classify people (and thus how to respond to or treat them). It had codes outlined that you'd create based on other's personality traits. You could examine yourself (a somewhat subjective process) to come up with your own code.
What it came down to was that there were only about 10 or so different types of people as everyone had to fit into one of the codes. I read the whole book and tried to do the exercises, but after a while I realized this was all B.S.
People don't easily fit into types or codes - and if they do, the codes are probably about as expansive as those that DNA helices come up with. People are often as dualistic as they are cohesive.

TONGO 10-12-16 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592250)
Oppression my ass. :lol:

EDIT: Dammit Tongo you edited your post before I could quote it!
The Daria oppresion comment wasnt what I was worried about, it was the reference to someone getting the boot in this devil thread.

The Gunslinger45 10-12-16 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1592255)
The Daria oppresion comment wasnt what I was worried about, it was the reference to someone getting the boot in this devil thread.
Fair enough. ;)

Iroquois 10-12-16 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1592240)
Do people only watch shows that line up with their views?
It wouldn't surprise me, but it appears that that isn't the case.

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592244)
I think someone complaining about Halloween costumes is silly and how MTV sucks now a days and that means I can't enjoy a cartoon about a uber cynical teenager and the life she inhabits?
So you think real-life people criticising a flawed institution is silly but like a cartoon about a teen whose mission statement is criticising flawed institutions?

As for the MTV thing, for your consideration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysyZF-DZFY

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1592245)
Oh let him like Daria if he likes Daria! What the hell man? :laugh: I can see calling the show bad if you dont like it, but dont waste your time trying to deprogram him from it. :nope:
Who said anything about deprogramming? I was merely curious as to why it is so.

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592246)
Hmm.

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592254)
I'm not attacking you, but there's this idea that people fit into categories or boxes and cannot (or should not) go beyond the borders of the label that others assign them.

The reason I'm "independent" in every respect is I've always had a problem with this concept. I'm so diverse in my own mind that I sometimes confuse myself - my inner monologue is like eight different people arguing as I try to consider, analyze and process multiple perspectives.

Most people are very complicated and their personalities & characters are made up of a whole bunch of lifetime influences, interests & perspectives (sometimes conflicting ones).

I remember studying this psychology program that was supposed to help you in business by figuring out how to classify people (and thus how to respond to or treat them). It had codes outlined that you'd create based on other's personality traits. You could examine yourself (a somewhat subjective process) to come up with your own code.
What it came down to was that there were only about 10 or so different types of people as everyone had to fit into one of the codes. I read the whole book and tried to do the exercises, but after a while I realized this was all B.S.
People don't easily fit into types or codes - and if they do, the codes are probably about as expansive as those that DNA helices come up with. People are often as dualistic as they are cohesive.
Yeah, we all contain multitudes and all that. Doesn't mean I can't (or shouldn't) question the dissonance when it becomes pertinent.

Omnizoa 10-12-16 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592254)

Ideally, the majority of people are one-dimensional pawns in a game of identity politics.

The US election has a lot of people saying this is the best opportunity independents have ever had, but it's still a big mob of people jostling against each other to stand behind one of two repellant flags and asserting the superiority of their position.

These peope don't think like you, Captain, they're maniacs.

Captain Steel 10-12-16 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1592261)

Yeah, we all contain multitudes and all that. Doesn't mean I can't (or shouldn't) question the dissonance when it becomes pertinent.
By all means. I wouldn't try to admonish or influence anyone for asking questions or voicing opinions, especially on forums designed for that purpose.

Now, I'm going to go debate my last post as I made a lot of points that I can view from a counter perspective and which I can easily cast as dubious, uninformed or that I can outright refute! ;)

The Gunslinger45 10-12-16 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1592261)

So you think real-life people criticising a flawed institution is silly but like a cartoon about a teen whose mission statement is criticising flawed institutions?
Someone complaining about Halloween costumes is not criticizing a flawed institution. That is their hang ups on costumes. If they don't like them, don't buy them. If they don't want their kids dressing up in said costumes, that is their right as an American. If someone dresses up in an offensive costume (Hitler, Bin Laden, etc) then the issue is not with the costume and the holiday, but the people wearing it.

As for me liking Daria, if I had to like only movies and shows that align with my political views, I would have a narrower selection of movies. I have this strange super power that allows me to watch a work and analyze it based on it's merit even if it expresses views counter to my own. Hence why I can enjoy Paths of Glory despite being in the military and hawkish, I can enjoy movies that explore views I do not share. If the work does it well and is not trying to ram an overt political message down my throat, I can accept me and the creator will not be voting the same come election day, but I can still enjoy the work.

To not do so would just be closed minded,

Captain Steel 10-12-16 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1592263)
Ideally, the majority of people are one-dimensional pawns in a game of identity politics.

The US election has a lot of people saying this is the best opportunity independents have ever had, but it's still a big mob of people jostling against each other to stand behind one of two repellant flags and asserting the superiority of their position.

These peope don't think like you, Captain, they're maniacs.
Yes. I certainly realize there are people who are not "complicated" in the same respects as some others are. Some people are "concrete" thinkers and do not contemplate expanding beyond their own self-defined borders. Some people are not deep. Some people have never developed the capacity to view things from other perspectives.

But most people are complicated in the respect that they are a conglomeration of diverse ideas, values, emotions & experiences which they can apply to the practice of considering multiple perspectives of others or experiencing life with a variety of inclinations, explorations & preferences themselves.

Omnizoa 10-12-16 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel
But most people are complicated in the respect that they are a conglomeration of diverse ideas, values, emotions & experiences which they can apply to the practice of considering multiple perspectives of others or experiencing life with a variety of inclinations, explorations & preferences themselves.
That just tells me most people DO have capacity, they just don't use it.

Iroquois 10-12-16 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1592265)
Someone complaining about Halloween costumes is not criticizing a flawed institution. That is their hang ups on costumes. If they don't like them, don't buy them. If they don't want their kids dressing up in said costumes, that is their right as an American. If someone dresses up in an offensive costume (Hitler, Bin Laden, etc) then the issue is not with the costume and the holiday, but the people wearing it.
Considering how there's a whole industry dedicated to producing and selling these costumes, I'd say that it does qualify as an institution that deserves to be criticised. I realise that this isn't necessarily going to stop people from making their own screwed-up costumes (I don't think anyone was selling Trayvon Martin costumes), but that doesn't mean that costume companies should be allowed to get away with upholding such a bad status quo in the name of something as simple as commercial gain. You can say "if you don't like it, don't buy it" all you want, but as I noted in my original post:

I'm also not sure how the "if you don't like it, don't do it" thing applies when it's quite obvious that the only people doing it are the ones who do like it, don't understand the problem, or just don't care.
I don't necessarily think that the people who would buy such costumes are inherently terrible, but I do think that they need to understand the significance of what they are doing. After all, if "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is your argument, then it stands to reason that I should at least be able to argue why it shouldn't be liked or bought to those who have the capacity to comprehend the reason (which discounts OP, obviously). It's not just about the people who wear the costumes, it's about the people who create and sell them too.

Omnizoa 10-12-16 01:41 AM

I forget who said it, but we should be able to distinguish and articulate not jyst the short answers, but the long answers to questions.

Should abortion be legal?

Should marijuana be legal?

Should we have a death penalty?

Should we have more gun control?

Should we have more border control?

On the campaign trail these questions invariably come down to Yes or No, however all of these topics demand a significant degree of nuance, to the point that an answer in either direction shouldn't pass with some kind of caveats, conditions, or contingencies.

People need to be able to have that conversation and their opinion on one shouldn't inform of their opinion on another.

Captain Steel 10-12-16 02:17 AM

Another off-topic thing about Halloween - when I was a kid I hated the costumes that were sold.
If it was Batman they'd have the mask, but then on the front of the costume they'd have the word "Batman" and a picture of the character! And I was like, "Wait a minute! Where's the bat emblem? Batman doesn't have his name on his chest and an illustration of himself, he's got a bat emblem!" What character has their own picture on their clothes?

And this went for superhero costumes, cartoon characters, etc. (I never saw Popeye or Mighty Mouse have their name and a picture of themselves on their shirts in any depictions of them... except on Halloween costumes!)

As a kid I always hated the way things were marketed to kids and their parents. And the weird thing is as a kid I could identify this stuff.
(Like, why did the TV cartoon Super Friends need Marvin, Wendy and the half-speaking Wonder Dog? I couldn't "relate" to superheroes without non-powered kids and a talking dog? I watched the show because I wanted to see the superheroes from the comics, not non-powered kids that were somehow supposed to help me "relate". The whole idea made no sense to me.)

TONGO 10-12-16 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1592276)
Another off-topic thing about Halloween - when I was a kid I hated the costumes that were sold.
If it was Batman they'd have the mask, but then on the front of the costume they'd have the word "Batman" and a picture of the character! And I was like, "Wait a minute! Where's the bat emblem? Batman doesn't have his name on his chest and an illustration of himself, he's got a bat emblem!" What character has their own picture on their clothes?

And this went for superhero costumes, cartoon characters, etc. (I never saw Popeye or Mighty Mouse have their name and a picture of themselves on their shirts!)

As a kid I always hated the way things were marketed to kids and their parents. And the weird thing is as a kid I could identify this stuff.
(Like, why did the TV cartoon Super Friends need Marvin, Wendy and the half-speaking Wonder Dog? I couldn't "relate" to superheroes without non-powered kids and a talking dog? I watched the show because I wanted to see the superheroes from the comics, not non-powered kids that were somehow supposed to help me "relate". The whole idea made no sense to me.)
Oh, I remember those pathetic rinky dink come in a $5 plastic package halloween costumes. I had one that was "The Spider" which was a broken assed attempt at Spider-Man, just sad. :tsk: Like in the Eddie Murphy Delirious concert and the burger his Mom made him was supposed to be as good as McDonalds. THATs what those costumes were. :laugh:

earlsmoviepicks 10-12-16 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead (Post 1592195)

Note, Use Draxxus brand, they freeze harder

seanc 10-13-16 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1592270)
Considering how there's a whole industry dedicated to producing and selling these costumes, I'd say that it does qualify as an institution that deserves to be criticised. I realise that this isn't necessarily going to stop people from making their own screwed-up costumes (I don't think anyone was selling Trayvon Martin costumes), but that doesn't mean that costume companies should be allowed to get away with upholding such a bad status quo in the name of something as simple as commercial gain. You can say "if you don't like it, don't buy it" all you want, but as I noted in my original post:

I don't necessarily think that the people who would buy such costumes are inherently terrible, but I do think that they need to understand the significance of what they are doing. After all, if "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is your argument, then it stands to reason that I should at least be able to argue why it shouldn't be liked or bought to those who have the capacity to comprehend the reason (which discounts OP, obviously). It's not just about the people who wear the costumes, it's about the people who create and sell them too.

So how do you feel about people dressing up as serial killers and the like?

Iroquois 10-13-16 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593113)
So how do you feel about people dressing up as serial killers and the like?
Fictional serial killers should be okay within reason, but real-life ones would be pushing it a bit too far.

Citizen Rules 10-13-16 10:25 PM

Yea! I say ban all non PC Halloween costumes. Wait a minute....Halloween itself offends some, let's ban it....Wait another minute, the miniature candy makers would be offended if it was banned.... We better keep Halloween, as profits are all American!

seanc 10-13-16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1593114)
Fictional serial killers should be okay within reason, but real-life ones would be pushing it a bit too far.
So you would be ok with a fictional native American costume?

TONGO 10-13-16 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593117)
What, like The Manitou with Tony Curtis? ;) Good movie

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...8_-_Poster.png

Iroquois 10-13-16 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593117)
Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native. What does this have to do with serial killers?

Frightened Inmate No. 2 10-13-16 10:50 PM

yeah the only way sean's question makes sense would be if the reason you wouldn't wear a costume based on a real serial killer was because you didn't want to offend other serial killers, which i don't believe is the case.

Sexy Celebrity 10-13-16 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1593119)
Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native.
You're against people wearing Native American Halloween costumes if they're not Native American themselves?

seanc 10-13-16 10:59 PM

Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native. What does this have to do with serial killers?
My point is don't you think people would be offended by glorifying violence, especially if they have violence in their history. Maybe the question would work better if I asked about a kid dressing as a soldier. Should soldiers be offended? I'm just confused by how any of this is offensive. This is someone this little girl wanted to emulate. If it is because it is a group that was marginalized, would it be ok for an African-American girl to dress as a native American. How about cowboys, police officers. If we are telling little white girls they shouldn't emulate native Americans aren't we sending them a message opposite of acceptance of all races?

Iroquois 10-13-16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1593120)
yeah the only way sean's question makes sense would be if the reason you wouldn't wear a costume based on a real serial killer was because you didn't want to offend other serial killers, which i don't believe is the case.
That is correct. In the case of real serial killers it would be more likely to offend victims/survivors and their loved ones than other serial killers, plus it plays into the whole cult of personality that can build up around them and that's just not good for society.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1593121)
You're against people wearing Native American Halloween costumes if they're not Native American themselves?
Yes.

Sexy Celebrity 10-13-16 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1593121)
Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1593126)
Yes.
This is why I'm voting Trump.

This.

Sexy Celebrity 10-13-16 11:07 PM

These people think they're being shocking. In the past, people tried to open all possible doors to do something shocking and outrageous. Now all the doors are open, so they're trying to CLOSE all the doors to be shocking.

Citizen Rules 10-13-16 11:14 PM

Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native.
What a shameful little kid in the pic, apparently he didn't eat his PC cereal, arrest him!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...800edd0155.jpg

TONGO 10-13-16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1593127)

This.
LOL! What the hell does Trump of all people, have to do with people that "get it" or dont? Ohmygosh! :laugh:

Captain Steel 10-13-16 11:20 PM

He's celebrating white Europeans wiping out entire nations with small pox!

Sexy Celebrity 10-13-16 11:24 PM

Next thing you know, they'll be saying it's racist for a white person to date/marry/have sex with a black person. How dare white people think they're privileged enough to be touching black skin, they'll say.

Captain Steel 10-13-16 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1593115)
Yea! I say ban all non PC Halloween costumes. Wait a minute....Halloween itself offends some, let's ban it....Wait another minute, the miniature candy makers would be offended if it was banned.... We better keep Halloween, as profits are all American!
This is true. You may remember that I helped edit & proofread a couple books that were published... (I won't say the titles as I wouldn't want to offend the author who paid me for my work) ...which were written by born-again converts from Wicca to Christianity. They find Halloween very offensive (and dangerous as it opens innocent little children up to demonic influences and possession).
I think that's just all the sugar, but whatever.

Iroquois 10-13-16 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593125)
My point is don't you think people would be offended by glorifying violence, especially if they have violence in their history. Maybe the question would work better if I asked about a kid dressing as a soldier. Should soldiers be offended? I'm just confused by how any of this is offensive. This is someone this little girl wanted to emulate. If it is because it is a group that was marginalized, would it be ok for an African-American girl to dress as a native American. How about cowboys, police officers. If we are telling little white girls they shouldn't emulate native Americans aren't we sending them a message opposite of acceptance of all races?
I think it's one of those cases where a line gets drawn between acceptance of another culture and appropriating of another culture - at least it provides a valuable lesson that there's more to appreciating a different culture than just imitating it on a superficial level. I don't think that it would be any more acceptable for non-white races to do the same thing either - they may not be white but they're still not Native American either. I'd say a major difference with a soldier costume is that it has no racial connotations whatsoever, though I imagine you could make arguments against the military as a tool of American nationalism or whatever that would make wearing a soldier costume at least a little questionable.

Iroquois 10-13-16 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1593127)

This.
Yeah, that's as good a reason as any to vote for the guy whose running mate supports conversion therapy.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1593129)
These people think they're being shocking. In the past, people tried to open all possible doors to do something shocking and outrageous. Now all the doors are open, so they're trying to CLOSE all the doors to be shocking.
Uh-huh.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1593134)
What a shameful little kid in the pic, apparently he didn't eat his PC cereal, arrest him!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...800edd0155.jpg
Don't be absurd.

Sexy Celebrity 10-13-16 11:33 PM

Iroquois, how DARE you post on this forum when you haven't even been here as long as I have. How DARE you think you have the PRIVILEGE to be posting in the same space as me! You may have been here a long time, but still, NOT AS LONG AS I HAVE! GET OUT! GET OUT OF HERE! I am offended! I am deeply offended!

Also, how dare you come around me when your username is only one word. What - you think you're better than me because your username is only one word and mine is two words? You think you're better than me because you joined the forum sometime after I did? This is disgusting! HELP! HELP ME! Iroquois is offending me! HELP!

Iroquois 10-13-16 11:35 PM

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../Cry_bebeh.jpg

seanc 10-13-16 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1593143)
I think it's one of those cases where a line gets drawn between acceptance of another culture and appropriating of another culture - at least it provides a valuable lesson that there's more to appreciating a different culture than just imitating it on a superficial level. I don't think that it would be any more acceptable for non-white races to do the same thing either - they may not be white but they're still not Native American either. I'd say a major difference with a soldier costume is that it has no racial connotations whatsoever, though I imagine you could make arguments against the military as a tool of American nationalism or whatever that would make wearing a soldier costume at least a little questionable.

I think like with all things the line should be drawn at bad intentions. I don't see how a child dressing as a character they have read about and have a doll of is offensive in the least. If my kids wanted to dress as a minority character they like I would definitely let them. My philosophy as a dad has been to talk about people's actions only and not involve race unless they bring it up. I don't do everything right as a father but my kids come to me with genujne shock when they hear someone talk about someone's skin color or ethnicity in a derogatory manor. I consider that a win. Maybe I'm not treating this stuff with enough care but I'm proud of how my kids treat others so I will live with it and they will get to dress as Finn if they ever want to.

TONGO 10-13-16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1593143)
I know what you need :yup:

Loosen up Iro, little kids dressing up as indians is kind of a compliment in a way. Its making natives into fictional heroes of wonder in a childs mind. That sure as hell will promote them better than a p.c. history book.

Sexy Celebrity 10-13-16 11:43 PM

HELP!

SOMEBODY! HELP!

Captain Steel 10-13-16 11:45 PM

Now that Captain America: Civil War is out... should anyone be allowed to dress as the Black Panther?
(He's got a whole bunch of potential "triggers" going on - the nationality, the ethnicity, species issues, the NAME!)

Just for those who don't know: the character was created before the organization was developed. Once the organization was established, Stan Lee & co. changed the comic character's name briefly to the "Black Leopard" but soon reverted back to his original code name as no one cared for the new name.

https://costumesupercenter-weblinc.n...g?c=1464110590

Photo chose for the fact that the kid in the costume is clearly Caucasoid! *Gasp!* Is this like dressing up in black face?

Iroquois 10-14-16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593155)
I think like with all things the line should be drawn at bad intentions. I don't see how a child dressing as a character they have read about and have a doll of is offensive in the least. If my kids wanted to dress as a minority character they like I would definitely let them. My philosophy as a dad has been to talk about people's actions only and not involve race unless they bring it up. I don't do everything right as a father but my kids come to me with genujne shock when they hear someone talk about someone's skin color or ethnicity in a derogatory manor. I consider that a win. Maybe I'm not treating this stuff with enough care but I'm proud of how my kids treat others so I will live with it and they will get to dress as Finn if they ever want to.
Of course bad intentions deserve to be criticised and rejected, but does that automatically make good intentions acceptable (especially if they may not be coming from a place of awareness)? The Washington Post article referenced in the OP illustrates the issue even with good intentions - the author's daughter does want to wear a Native American costume out of genuine fondness for the character, but by the end of the article she does learn that the outfit in question is too special to be worn as a mere Halloween costume. This change isn't achieved through any cartoonish displays of PC outrage but through a demonstration of the culture's importance that speaks to why it shouldn't be treated lightly, creating a greater appreciation of the culture in the process.

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1593157)
I know what you need :yup:

Loosen up Iro, little kids dressing up as indians is kind of a compliment in a way. Its making natives into fictional heroes of wonder in a childs mind. That sure as hell will promote them better than a p.c. history book.
What a patronising post.

Captain Steel 10-14-16 12:02 AM

Black Panther discusses his name change:

http://zak-site.com/Great-American-N...19-leopard.jpg

Citizen Rules 10-14-16 12:09 AM

The day we forget about people's skin color and stop being offended by the smallest things, is the day we will all just be...people.

Peace out:) and when it comes to Halloween remember all candy is made equal!

seanc 10-14-16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1593178)
Of course bad intentions deserve to be criticised and rejected, but does that automatically make good intentions acceptable (especially if they may not be coming from a place of awareness)? The Washington Post article referenced in the OP illustrates the issue even with good intentions - the author's daughter does want to wear a Native American costume out of genuine fondness for the character, but by the end of the article she does learn that the outfit in question is too special to be worn as a mere Halloween costume. This change isn't achieved through any cartoonish displays of PC outrage but through a demonstration of the culture's importance that speaks to why it shouldn't be treated lightly, creating a greater appreciation of the culture in the process.
I guess. At the end of the day your view and the view of the women who wrote this piece have nothing to do with me so I won't lose any sleep. All the outrage over such things is just starting to get to me more than a little bit. It comes from a good place but feels so misguided and irrational to me. Nothing is more important to me than my faith and I could care less about kids that dress as angels or priests. It wouldn't bother me if my kids wanted to dress as Jesus despite us not being even a little Israeli.

Sexy Celebrity 10-14-16 12:33 AM

I thought the point of Halloween was you're supposed to dress as something you're not?

TONGO 10-14-16 12:34 AM

Sorry I came off as patronizing Iro. You have to agree though that little kids dressing up as Indians, or whatever isnt like some white guy putting on blackface.

Sexy Celebrity 10-14-16 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593191)
I could care less about kids that dress as angels
Isn't that offensive to supernatural beings?

ManOf1000Faces 10-14-16 12:55 AM

So if one SJW is bad, we should generalize all the SJW's to be radical about this halloween costume thing. So fighting for equal rights now has gotten dumbed down. like the word triggered is a meme now. it loses its effect. SJW's were always around, and kids have had native american costumes since the 50's. when you were a kid, i bet you didn't mind, but now you do. hypocrisy.

Captain Steel 10-14-16 01:36 AM

If I had kids I'd dress them up as "SJW's"! ;)

Iroquois 10-14-16 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1593191)
I guess. At the end of the day your view and the view of the women who wrote this piece have nothing to do with me so I won't lose any sleep. All the outrage over such things is just starting to get to me more than a little bit. It comes from a good place but feels so misguided and irrational to me. Nothing is more important to me than my faith and I could care less about kids that dress as angels or priests. It wouldn't bother me if my kids wanted to dress as Jesus despite us not being even a little Israeli.
How convenient for your sleep cycle. In any case, I'm not sure what's so rational about the alternative.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1593194)
I thought the point of Halloween was you're supposed to dress as something you're not?
Consider the countless racially neutral alternatives first.

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1593195)
Sorry I came off as patronizing Iro. You have to agree though that little kids dressing up as Indians, or whatever isnt like some white guy putting on blackface.
There is a bit of an overlap if both instances are due to actual ignorance, and at least in the case of kids the responsibility falls to the parents or guardians who would determine their choice of costume.

Originally Posted by ManOf1000Faces (Post 1593207)
So if one SJW is bad, we should generalize all the SJW's to be radical about this halloween costume thing. So fighting for equal rights now has gotten dumbed down. like the word triggered is a meme now. it loses its effect. SJW's were always around, and kids have had native american costumes since the 50's. when you were a kid, i bet you didn't mind, but now you do. hypocrisy.
This started off agreeable, but after those last couple of lines I'm not so sure what point you're trying to make.

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1593218)
If I had kids I'd dress them up as "SJW's"! ;)
I would not be surprised if this had actually happened at one point.