Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59681)

MovieBuffering 07-17-19 05:54 AM

MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

1 Attachment(s)
MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-cont.../02/amelie.jpg
Spoiler Alert "Amelie" isn't in my list:lol:

Well hell. I am finally going do this. Told myself for like 5 or 6 years I would. Probably still wouldn't have but I found a website listchallenges.com that lets you put a list together of movies and move them around how you want. Makes it a lot easier to organize this thing.

Thought I would use that Amelie picture to trick you guys into thinking I have good movie taste.;) (I did finally see it recently but didn't crack my favorites, I did enjoy it however)

I chose to do 101 movies because I was all set to do this and a movie that I forgot that should be in my 100 popped into my head. So I just decided to 101 dalmatians it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So to help give my list a little context I think it helps to know my age. I am 32 year old male. 90s baby, 2000s teen. These movies have to make me want to rewatch them over and over. Do they make me stop flipping channels when they are on tv? If yes, then they will be on here. Be gentle! I can appreciate the classics, seen a lot of them, but they would make a top 100 all time not my favorites list;)

Hope this doesn't take to long but I'll try to update as soon as I can. I have some time this week so they might come quick first up, we will see. The top 10 are pretty solidly my 10 favorites in order but the rest is kind of a free for all lol. So without further ado....let's get started.

John-Connor 07-17-19 06:05 AM

MovieBuffering 07-17-19 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Super Troopers - 2002

"Meow I am going have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law"
Just barely making the countdown all nimbly bimbly like. Hard to believe it's been 17 years since this came out. It had so many memorable lines. "You stop that bear f*er". "Shenanigans". "These snozeberries takes like snozeberries". The meow bit. "Can I get a liter of cola?". I could go on and on. First movie I saw Brain Cox in so I just assumed he was a comedic actor:lol:. Was it the best movie? Probably not, I mean I don't think it was bad. But damn did it make me laugh and give me a lot of memorable scenes and lines. And in the end isn't that what a comedy is suppose to do?

The Broken Lizard guys never quite caught this magic again. Beerfest was ok. Club Dread was forgettable. They did another movie I didn't even see. Super Troopers 2 was off and on. But damn did they deliver on this one.

Director - Jay Chandrasehkar
Best Performance - Kevin Heffernan as Rod Farva
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 35%
Factoid - It was originally suppose to be set in the 70s
Stock in Coutdown - Riser

MovieBuffering 07-17-19 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Arrival - 2016

"If you could see your whole life from start to finish, would you change things?"
This is the freshest film on this list in terms of only seeing it a couple weeks ago. It could get bumped out or could move up when/if I see it again. I was not expecting to get emotional during this movie but damn did it get me at the end. I'll have to watch it again to see if that draws it out of me again. Villeneuve is building himself quite the filmography. He has made me interested in anything he is doing now. Amy Adams was phenomenal in this movie. How did she not get nominated for an Oscar? She is overdue for a statue. Renner was fine it but Amy is given the chunk of the material. At first I thought his and Whitaker's role should have been reversed, but it makes more sense at the end.

The movie itself is visually amazing and it keeps you invested the whole time. Like I said I have to see it again to really solidify it's spot in or out of the countdown. It kept me immersed and moved me at the end so it deserves a spot I think.

Director - Denis Villeneuve
Best Performance - Amy Adams as Louise Banks
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 94%
Factoid - The original name for the film was "Story of Your Life," the same as the source novella. Test audiences did not like that title, so it was changed to "Arrival."
Stock in Countdown - Riser (for now. Just saw it)

Trailer
(don't want to spoil anything on some of these)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g

linda 07-17-19 07:51 AM

Re: MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

hi

chawhee 07-17-19 08:43 AM

Great start with both of these

MovieBuffering 07-17-19 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Social Network - 2010

"I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try - but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount."
The movie about my generation. Fincher can be a bit hit or miss for me but no deny his talent. This is beautifully directed and filled with tons of great performances. The movie has a unique feel to it. Eisenberg was fantastic and about pitch perfect casting. Catapulted a lot of actor's careers in Hollywood. Andrew Garfield, Eisenberg, Timberlake's acting career, Rooney Mara (probably scored her Dragon Tattoo role with Fincher), Armie Hammer. I thought Brenda Song would take off but she hasn't, she is still a fox though.

I don't know how much of the real story was placed in the movie and how much liberty was taken but it was well executed. As far as Facebook I have a love hate with it. Currently off it. I really didn't pay attention to it at first, think I had it for 3 or 4 years before I actually used it. Then I used it too much so I had to cut it out. Wonder if Fincher is going do the sequel called Tweet Tweet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would probably be higher but I don't put a lot of premium on biopics and based on real life events/people. There are a ton of good movies and shows based on real life events and people but feels like it restricts the creative translation. Don't know hard for me to explain.

Director - David Fincher
Best Performance - Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerburg
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 95%
Factoid - Mark Zuckerberg originally planned never to see this movie. He ended up taking several of his employees to see it. He later remarked that, despite some of the film's inaccuracies, they got his clothing right.
Stock In Coutndown - Neutral (Could rise on another viewing. Haven't seen it in awhile.)

Memorable Scene
Brenda Song <3 You can be bat sh*t crazy to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwiczhta4e0

Yoda 07-17-19 08:43 PM

First three films are so wildly divergent. I love it already.

MovieBuffering 07-17-19 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Bowfinger - 1999

"It's too cerebral! We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
This one is a hidden gem even I tend to forget about. Not sure why because it's great. It's a fun flick. Martin plays a struggling director who shoots a movie without Eddie Murphy's character knowing he is in it because Murphy is a big action superstar. Steve Martin is of course funny but the real star of the movie is Eddie Murphy. He plays two different characters. Also you forget what a babe Heather Graham was in the late 90s.

But seriously Eddie Murphy should have won some type of award for this role. :shifty:

Director - Frank Oz
Best Performance - Eddie Murphy as Kit Ramsey/Jiff Ramsey
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 81%
Factoid - The Eddie Murphy part was actually written for Keanu Reeves.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Miss Vicky 07-17-19 11:11 PM

I don't think I've seen any of the first four, but I really like the presentation. :up:

Steve Freeling 07-18-19 12:19 AM

I acually went to see Arrival theatrically and I thought it was amazing. I bought the Blu-ray on release day (or was it the day after?) a couple years back and I keep meaning to rewatch it.

Daniel M 07-18-19 01:59 PM

Nice layout mate. I've only seen The Social Network which I think is decent, I want to see Arrival ��

MovieBuffering 07-19-19 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Blade Runner - 1982

"All these moments will be lost in time...like tears in rain."
I decided to watch this about a year ago before I watched the new Blade Runner. I was not sure how I felt about it after seeing it but the biggest strength it has is the movie sticks with you after watching it. It is a fascinating watch, all the effects are obviously out of date, but I couldn't imagine watching this in 1982. It does take a bit of effort to sit through. It is just so damn uniquely confident if that makes sense. It's this whole entire world that really makes no sense but the movie is so confident in it you can help but be absorbed into it.

If you do not know what it is about here is a quick run down. The setting is about 40 years in the future, LA 2019:rotfl:, and a company makes "replicants" or basically robots that look like humans. Anyways, Ford's character, a blade runner, is sent to "retire" or kill these robots when they become too threatening.

Harrison Ford is adequate in the film, nothing ground breaking. Hauer is probably the most memorable performance. I would like to expand more on the movie but that might come later on in the countdown;). I struggled to put it in but I think just making the cut at the back in of the 101 is a good place for it to land.

Director - Ridley Scott
Best Performance - Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 90%
Factoid - The film takes place in November 2019. Couple months away from the time of this post :lol:
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

MovieBuffering 07-19-19 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Napoleon Dynamite - 2004 :napoleon:

"I see you're drinking 1%. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to."
First saw this movie in high school in the cafeteria for being on the honor roll. It had just come out I believe. I remember thinking it was incredibly stupid after sitting through it but hey we got out of class for it! I remember a friend told me he loved it a few years later. I said that movie was horrible. Went back and watched it and loved it. Guess my perspective changed. What an idiot, Gosh!

It's much like Blade Runner, maybe even more so, uniquely confident. I mean the movie is down right bizarre. But it absolutely owns it in every aspect of the movie. Memorable characters and quotes from Kip being a pioneer of the dating app or Uncle Rico being the best QB ever from Idaho.But the most memorable is Hedar as Napoleon Dynamite. Probably played it so well it hurt the rest of his career:laugh:. It will never be at the top of my list but it deserves a spot. Remember vote for Pedro!

Director - Jared Hess
Best Performance - Jon Hedar as Napoleon Dynamite
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 71%
Factoid - The film was shot in just 22 days. Hedar only got 1,000 dollars for the role. The movie made over 40 million in box office.

MovieBuffering 07-20-19 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Full Metal Jacket - 1987

"Most of you will go to Vietnam. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever.."
I do not even remember when I first watched this movie. I have only seen 5 Kubrick films this one, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shinning and Spartacus (long time ago). Need to stop slacking but this one is my favorite. All conversations about this movie start and end with Lee Ermey's performance. I am a sucker for movies that produce iconic/unforgettable performances/characters. This performance ranks right up there. Every second the man is on screen you are captivated. You are sad when he is off screen. Most of his dialogue I heard before even seeing the movie not even knowing it going in (i.e. the video below). It's worth your time just to watch the first hour or so of the movie for it.

Vincent D'Onofrio is also pretty damn good. He apparently put on 70 pounds for the role. Modine is solid as well, but compared to the other two isn't as flashy. It's a compelling story on the soldiers psyche during boot camp and during war. The 2nd half of the movie during war is just fine but it's the first half at boot camp that really makes this movie stand out.

Director - Stanley Kubrick
Best Performance - Lee Ermey as Drill Sergeant Hartman
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 91%
Factoid - R. Lee Ermey went to director Stanley Kubrick and asked for the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann. In his opinion, the actors on the set were not up to snuff. When Kubrick declined, Ermey barked an order for Kubrick to stand up when he was spoken to, and the director instinctively obeyed. Ermey got the role.

Memorable Scene
NSFW language
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqa5CPLlw-U

MovieBuffering 07-20-19 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Looper - 2012

"The only rule is: never let your target escape... even if your target is you."
This movie is slick. I really dug Rian Johnson's first feature "Brick". I always give director's extra credit for directing and writing a movie. Unfortunately he made a mess of Star Wars, I actually was looking forward to that movie because he was directing, and I am not a Star Wars guy at all, just reinforced that stance.

But the major reason I was looking forward to this was because Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of my favorite actors. He is always in a good flick and always brings it. He is awesome in this as a younger Bruce Willis. You can tell Bruce Willis actually enjoyed being in a good movie again as he was good in this as well. Emily Blunt is great in this as well. Plus Paul Dano and Jeff Daniels are fun in it, specially Daniels. (Daniels and JGL were in a movie call "The Lookout" as well. Didn't make my list but it's a nice little hidden gem of a movie)

It's a really neat sci-fi movie. I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember at the end a big plot hole that prevented it from being say a top 50 movie to me. It's just a really slick, fun low budget sci-fi movie. If you don't know what it's about....Loopers are basically assassians in the future...that kill people even further in the future that get sent back to them because time travel is invented then. Basically you get to quit when your future self is sent back and you kill him/her. Then you retire and cash out. Thats where JGL being a younger Bruce comes in. It's worth a view if you haven't seen it.

Director - Rian Johnson
Best Performance - Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Joe
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 93%
Factoid - Early on, Joe is shown studying French without much success. Ironically, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is quite fluent in French.

Miss Vicky 07-20-19 09:54 PM

Four more I haven't seen (and don't think I'd like). But I'm still really liking your presentation.

rauldc14 07-20-19 09:57 PM

Arrival is in my latest top 119 films. Great movie

MovieBuffering 07-20-19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2024777)
Arrival is in my latest top 119 films. Great movie
lol top 119? That's a random number. Yea I just watched it like a couple weeks ago. Villenevue is da man. Got faith in his Dune project.

MovieBuffering 07-20-19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2024776)
Four more I haven't seen (and don't think I'd like). But I'm still really liking your presentation.
ha got a feeling our taste won't line up. But I got a feeling you'll like a movie coming up soon :lol:. Call it a hunch.:shrug: