Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Pixar Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58876)

ahwell 02-21-19 06:49 PM

Pixar Hall of Fame

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...bicrkmwmbd.jpg

Welcome to the Pixar Hall of Fame!

Please submit with in the next 10-12 days, so between March 3 and 5. If someone wants to come in a short time after it starts that is okay too.

Current Participants:
Ahwell *Nomination received
Citizen Rules *Nomination received
edarsenal *Nomination received
Yam12 *Nomination received
Miss Vicky *Nomination received
Nathaniel *Nomination received
rauldc14 *Nomination received
Siddon *Nomination received

Nominated films:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Toy_Story.jpg
Toy Story (1995) - Nominated by ahwell

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/im...&optimize=true
A Bug's Life (1998) - Nominated by @edarsenal

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/t...lsr/268x0w.png
Finding Nemo (2003) - Nominated by @rauldc14

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/im...C0%2C300%2C450
The Incredibles (2004) - Nominated by @Yam12

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/im...C0%2C300%2C450
Ratatouille (2007) - Nominated by @Citizen Rules

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/im..._142a7bbd.jpeg
Up (2009) - Nominated by @Miss Vicky

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...xOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Monsters University (2013) - Nominated by @Siddon

https://is4-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/t...lsr/268x0w.jpg
Coco (2017) - Nominated by @Nathaniel

Deadline: Lists Need to be in by May 1, 2019
Rules of Participation  

ahwell 02-21-19 06:51 PM

Saved for later/editing.

Ahwell 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
Up
Toy Story
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Ratatouille
Monsters University
Coco
A Bug's Life

Miss Vicky 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
A Bug's Life
Coco
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Monsters University
Ratatouille
Toy Story
Up

edarsenal 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
Monsters University
The Incredibles
Up
Finding Nemo
Coco
Toy Story

Citizen Rules 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
Coco
Finding Nemo
Up
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
The Incredibles
Monsters University

Siddon 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
The Incredibles
Up
Ratatouille
Coco
Finding Nemo
Monsters University

Nathaniel 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
Ratatouille
Toy Story
The Incredibles
A Bug's Life
Finding Nemo
Up
Monsters University
Coco

Yam12 8/8 (0)
Coco
Monsters University
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Ratatouille
Up

rauldc14 8/8 (0) LIST SENT
Coco
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
Monsters University
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Up

A Bug's Life - 8/8
Finding Nemo - 8/8
Monsters University - 8/8
Toy Story - 8/8
Coco - 8/8
Ratatouille - 8/8
The Incredibles - 8/8
Up - 8/8

Yam12 02-21-19 06:54 PM

Re: Pixar Hall of Fame

I'm interested but I want to know the numbers before I join.

edarsenal 02-21-19 07:40 PM

I really like this idea, I'll get my nom in shortly.

And it's in:)

Citizen Rules 02-21-19 07:50 PM

I'll join as I haven't seen many Pixar films at all, just a couple. This should be a good HoF:)

edarsenal 02-21-19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1991749)
I'll join as I haven't seen many Pixar films at all, just a couple. This should be a good HoF:)
should be a real fun one and I'm curious to find out which one out of the few you've seen, you go with.

edarsenal 02-21-19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yam12 (Post 1991737)
I'm interested but I want to know the numbers before I join.
just jump in, Yam, the pool's FINE lol

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kB2Vuc2W0U0/hqdefault.jpg

Miss Vicky 02-21-19 10:48 PM

I'm in. As a Pixar fangirl who owns all of the movies, this will be the easiest HOF ever.
Sad that Wall-E is ineligible though.

edarsenal 02-22-19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1991769)
I'm in. As a Pixar fangirl who owns all of the movies, this will be the easiest HOF ever.
Sad that Wall-E is ineligible though.
Would have been an easy win, I think. With Ratatouille and Up fighting for second perhaps.

Miss Vicky 02-22-19 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1991777)
Would have been an easy win, I think. With Ratatouille and Up fighting for second perhaps.
My money is on Toy Story.

rauldc14 02-22-19 11:30 AM

I was hoping for another animation HOF. Guess I'll settle for a Pixar one. Not 100% in yet but I can be persuaded easily.

ahwell 02-22-19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1991825)
I was hoping for another animation HOF. Guess I'll settle for a Pixar one. Not 100% in yet but I can be persuaded easily.
Well, it would be great to have you, hope you join! :)

Siddon 02-22-19 01:08 PM

Are their any movies left to even select?

Miss Vicky 02-22-19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1991838)
There are 19 eligible feature films and 7 people signed up. So, yeah?

Nathaniel 02-22-19 01:18 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/99/1c/3e/9...e-cars.jpg?b=t

ahwell 02-22-19 01:20 PM

Yes, there's plenty. And not just the ones regarded as pretty trash like Cars 2 or something... there's a lot of well-liked ones.

Miss Vicky 02-22-19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nathaniel (Post 1991842)
It's better than Brave. :shrug:

edarsenal 02-22-19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1991860)
It's better than Brave. :shrug:
not by much

Citizen Rules 02-22-19 10:36 PM

Let's get some more people to join this! There's still plenty of Pixars left:)

ahwell 02-22-19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1991940)
Let's get some more people to join this! There's still plenty of Pixars left:)
Thanks for the support :)

Citizen Rules 02-22-19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 1991943)
I guess that makes me the goodwill ambassador of the Hofs:)...I think more people will join, as this is a popular genre, we just got to get them to notice the thread, hence me bumping it. By the time you start you'll probably have 10 members, maybe even more and that's the usual size for an HoF.

Oh and we have to persuade @rauldc14 to join too:p He's always a good guy to have around.

ahwell 02-22-19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1991944)
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 1991943)
I guess that makes me the goodwill ambassador of the Hofs:)...I think more people will join, as this is a popular genre, we just got to get them to notice the thread, hence me bumping it. By the time you start you'll probably have 10 members, maybe even more and that's the usual size for an HoF.

Oh and we have to persuade @rauldc14 to join too:p He's always a good guy to have around.
rauldc14 joined! And yes, hopefully more people will join, although I’m pleased we already have seven.

rauldc14 02-24-19 05:51 AM

Even if it ends at 7 that's really not shabby.

Citizen Rules 02-24-19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1992096)
Even if it ends at 7 that's really not shabby.
Yeah 7 is decent. There's been smaller HoFs and sometimes the small ones are the funniest. There's still time to join so a few more people joining would be great :up:

ahwell 02-24-19 08:03 PM

Well, we're up to eight now, with about a week left to nominate.

Citizen Rules 02-24-19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 1992196)
Well, we're up to eight now, with about a week left to nominate.
Cool, Siddon joined. The more the merrier:p

I messaged 4 people who've never been in an HoF but are solid members. So far no takers though.

ahwell 02-27-19 03:52 PM

A couple days left. @John-Connor nominated something, but hasn't responded to my PM (it was already taken). So... maybe nine people? I'm good with that.

Citizen Rules 02-27-19 05:20 PM

It be great to have John Connor in this:up: It's always nice to get some new people interested in Hofs:)

edarsenal 02-27-19 07:17 PM

8 or 9 is a pretty solid number for a specialty HoF. Definitely a good turn out

ahwell 03-02-19 10:15 PM

All right, no one has nominated for a while, so the nominations are on the first post. I will post deadlines as soon as I can.

ahwell 03-02-19 10:19 PM

Deadline is:

April 1, 2019 when all lists need to be sent in. Remember to check in once every ten days to stay in.

Citizen Rules 03-02-19 10:21 PM

Yahoo!:) Some good noms in this HoF...And luckily my library has them all, only for some reason there's 14 request for Monster University:suspicious:

I've seen a few of these Pixars, but it's been a long time! So I'm glad for a reason to get me to rewatch these....This should be fun:D

ahwell 03-02-19 10:23 PM

Up

I've now watched Up four or five times, I can't remember. It never grows old, a really magical and beautiful film. Yes, the opening scene is a jewel, but the rest of it is great as well. This is one of Pixar's best movies, and I expect either this, Toy Story, or Ratatouille will win it, and deservingly. I also really loved the symbolism Pixar puts in their film, to attract adults as well (the airmchairs, Ellie's book, Charles Muntz and his foil with Carl). This is some really complex and innovative plot work going on, with great character foils, plot structure, and nearly everything else.

Rating:

Citizen Rules 03-02-19 10:25 PM

Was that your review if so wow that was fast! or were you just reminiscing? Cool either way.

I've seen Up, but I don't remember a thing about it, so I'm looking forward to a revisit.

Miss Vicky 03-02-19 10:33 PM

Phew, nobody nominated Brave. That's a relief. Obviously I've seen all of these.

BTW, if any American participants are interested, I have an extra copy of A Bug's Life on DVD. It's used and has the remnants of a sticker on the disc but is in good condition. I just don't need it because I've replaced it with blu-ray.

ahwell 03-02-19 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1993557)
Was that your review if so wow that was fast! or were you just reminiscing? Cool either way.

I've seen Up, but I don't remember a thing about it, so I'm looking forward to a revisit.
Yes it was my review, the only nomination I feel I've seen recently enough that I can review it without watching it again.

Citizen Rules 03-02-19 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 1993559)
Yes it was my review, the only nomination I feel I've seen recently enough that I can review it without watching it again.
I'll probably get to my first watch/review this coming week.

ahwell 03-02-19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1993563)
I'll probably get to my first watch/review this coming week.
Looking forward to it. :)

Miss Vicky 03-02-19 11:09 PM

It'll be interesting to see how these rank in relation to their places on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films Countdown. Coco and Monsters University were released afterwards, but here's how the others ranked:

#1 Toy Story
#2 Up
#6 Finding Nemo
#8 Ratatouille
#11 The Incredibles
#98 A Bug's Life

Also, I've been trying to get @JayDee to join, so we might have a late entry.

And my usual personal reference list:

Watched: 8/8
Deadline: May 1st

A Bug's Life (John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton, 1998)
IMDb
Nominated by edarsenal
Review: March 2, 2019 /
-

Coco (Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, 2017)
IMDb
Nominated by Nathaniel
Review: March 3, 2019 /

Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, 2003)
IMDb
Nominated by rauldc14
Review: March 3, 2019 /

The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004)
IMDb
Nominated by Yam12
Review: March 5, 2019 /
-

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013)
IMDb
Nominated by Siddon
Review: March 5, 2019 /

Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007)
IMDb
Nominated by Citizen Rules
Review: March 7, 2019 /

Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995)
IMDb
Nominated by ahwell
Review: March 7, 2019 /

Up (Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, 2009)
IMDb
Nominated by Me
Review: March 14, 2019 /

Miss Vicky 03-03-19 02:24 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...8abugslife.gif

A Bug's Life (John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton, 1998)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/2/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by edarsenal
Rewatch: Yes

As much as I love Pixar, A Bug's Life is not a film that I've ever held in particularly high esteem - though I think part of that may be that I sometimes have trouble differentiating my memory of it from that of other (inferior) ant themed animated films. Tonight's rewatch hasn't changed the film's standing in my list of favorite films from the studio, but I do feel like I've come away with a better appreciation for it. Although it doesn't quite hit the emotional highs that some of Pixar's later offerings achieve, it is quite the charmer and offers plenty of laughs.

It also features a really great voice cast, with Kevin Spacey really shining as villain Hopper, and Denis Leary and the late Joe Ranft bringing the laughs as Francis and Heimlich respectively. It's been quite some time since I last watched this and I have to say I was actually quite surprised by the quality of the animation. Of course, by the standards of Pixar's later work, it is a bit rough but even now - more than 20 years later - it outshines the recent offerings of many other animation studios with its brilliant colors, varying textures, and attention to detail.

Overall not what I'd class among Pixar's best, but still a quality film and one that very much hinted at the greatness that was to come.

-

Miss Vicky 03-03-19 05:05 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ieLog/coco.gif

Coco (Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/2/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by Nathaniel

Every time I've watched this film, I've done so with mixed emotions. It's a masterfully crafted piece full of rich detail, vibrant colors, memorable characters, an imaginative story, and an ending that always leaves me in tears. And yet somehow I don't quite love it. Part of it is the heavy fantasy elements and part of it is that it is the closest Pixar has come to releasing a musical, but I feel like there's something else too that I can't put my finger on.

Still it's a very solid movie and, along with Inside Out, was a welcome quality original flick in a string of sequels, prequels, and the lackluster originals Brave and The Good Dinosaur.

Yam12 03-03-19 06:40 AM

Some good stuff here. Monsters University and Coco are the only ones of these I haven't seen so looking forward to those.

Siddon 03-03-19 08:22 AM

Monsters University was a blind pick by me because any other film I would pick was already selected.

rauldc14 03-03-19 10:47 AM

There's legitimately no way I can watch all of these by April 1st. That seems a tight deadline if we are indeed rewatching them all ...

Siddon 03-03-19 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1993616)
There's legitimately no way I can watch all of these by April 1st. That seems a tight deadline if we are indeed rewatching them all ...

Cool Rauldc14 is out I'll take Finding Nemo that was my first choice :D

Nathaniel 03-03-19 11:49 AM

Seen all of these but it's been at least ten years for some of them (A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles).

Coco was my first choice and I half expected someone else to pick it. Inside Out would have been my back up.

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1993617)
Cool Rauldc14 is out I'll take Finding Nemo that was my first choice :D
Or the deadline could be extended to April 27th and you can change your nomination to Brave. I know Miss Vicky really wants to see it again.

Yam12 03-03-19 12:14 PM

I'd also probably be in favour of extending the deadline. April 1st seems way to close to now.

Miss Vicky 03-03-19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1993616)
While I personally won't have any trouble meeting the current deadline, I was pretty shocked at how soon it is. @ahwell the deadline for HOFs is traditionally set at 1 week per nomination and even then sometimes extensions are granted. These are easy movies, but people still will have to make time to rewatch them in between dealing with their regular lives.

Originally Posted by Nathaniel (Post 1993619)
Or the deadline could be extended to April 27th and you can change your nomination to Brave. I know Miss Vicky really wants to see it again.
"Gorgeous animation, but it views like the product of an unholy union between Brother Bear and How to Train Your Dragon - and is inferior to both in every other way. "

There, my write up is done. :D

ahwell 03-03-19 12:41 PM

I’m sorry everyone, my intended date was April 27, but I decided to extend it a bit to May 1 and ended up putting April 1. The deadline is now (and was intended to be) May 1, 2019.

edarsenal 03-03-19 01:52 PM

I'm VERY happy with the list of noms, THANKS @ahwell for suggesting and hosting this!
I'm on my phone so I wait to hop on my computer for initial thoughts and possibly my first two previews of rewatches last week: Ratatouille and Bug's Life.
There's a couple of these I've seen countless times I could easily write something up but I would rather (happily) rewatch again.

Oh, and even more ecstatic that Cars didn't make it. Me no likey.

Oh, and Oh postscript: and HELL YEAH having @JayDee join in as a late entry would be great!
(unless he nominates Cars then he can just f@ck off) ;):D
But seriously, regardless, PLEEEASE join in, Jay!!

edarsenal 03-03-19 02:32 PM

Alright, initial thoughts:

A Bug's Life (John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton, 1998) My nom, or rather my secondary since CR beat me to the punch, by the looks of it, by only minutes. Now, being the second (technically third since I'm sure ahwell had one chosen) to cast a nomination I decided, instead of going with one of the greats or recent, I decided to go with a lesser known, (their second film) just to give it some attention and, hopefully, a little love

Coco (Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, 2017) An absolute pageant of a film. Pretty excited for a rewatch since I've only seen this once.

Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, 2003) Utterly, utterly f@ckin adorable and one of the greats I would have nominated as a second choice.

The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004) Same here for secondary choice. Watched countless times, in fact, a "Sleeping film" at our house. One of a list that we know by heart and drift off to sleep to on the couch at night's end.

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013) One I actually haven't seen, but pretty happy to finally check out. Surprised the first one didn't make this list, but glad to see a chance to check this one out

Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007) This is my all-time favorite with Wall-E nearly tieing first place. Both are beautiful to watch and I'm completely endeared to.

Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995) The film that started it all and one that has been ages since I've last seen it, so YAY for the opportunity. And yeah, another Great that could have been a secondary - which of course THEN I would have gone searching for a third choice lol

Up (Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, 2009) Another that I just love and was heavily tempted to go as a secondary.

Yam12 03-03-19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1993654)

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013) One I actually haven't seen, but pretty happy to finally check out. Surprised the first one didn't make this list, but glad to see a chance to check this one out

I was actually considering nominating the original one. Would've been interesting having 2 films from the same series in here.

Nathaniel 03-03-19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1993625)
"Gorgeous animation, but it views like the product of an unholy union between Brother Bear and How to Train Your Dragon - and is inferior to both in every other way. "

There, my write up is done. :D
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/omg.gif

Miss Vicky 03-03-19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1993647)
Oh, and even more ecstatic that Cars didn't make it. Me no likey.
Respect the classics, man!

I LOVE Cars.

edarsenal 03-04-19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1993695)
Respect the classics, man!

I LOVE Cars.
Respect classics yes.

Cars? Um, no.

Miss Vicky 03-04-19 12:57 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...indingnemo.gif

Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, 2003)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/3/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by rauldc14

Finding Nemo was the first Pixar film I ever saw in the theater, having been released a relatively short time after I had come out of the anti-animation phase of my adolescence. I remember being absolutely blown away by the color and the detail. It was truly spectacular. But I also remember laughing at Coral's death (because animation studios just seem to feel the need to kill off their protagonists' parents) and rolling my eyes at the often juvenile humor ("He touched the butt!").

As time has gone on and I've rewatched the film, I've found myself having much greater respect for what the film does well and being less annoyed at its weaknesses. It boasts truly amazing visuals, a great voice cast, and an engaging story. It's quite the technical achievement. Unfortunately, however beautiful and entertaining it may be, for me it lacks the emotional wallop of the studio's better films.

rauldc14 03-04-19 08:13 AM

A Bugs Life and Monsters University are my two blindspots, but I honestly haven't seen Toy Story in forever so that will feel like a new watch too.

TheUsualSuspect 03-04-19 08:44 AM

I wish I saw this earlier, could have included my son in the viewings!!!

edarsenal 03-04-19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1993811)
It's only been about two days or so since it started and there was an agreement about allowing late arrivals, so. . .
If our host and everyone else is kosher with it, shouldn't be a problem.

edarsenal 03-04-19 12:17 PM

I'll have three write-ups to do: Ratatoullie, A Bug's Life and Monster University to get together.

ahwell 03-04-19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1993811)
Yeah, I’m completely fine with a late nomination.

TheUsualSuspect 03-04-19 05:20 PM

No no no, it's okay. I need a rest from HoF's anyway.

edarsenal 03-04-19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1993938)
No no no, it's okay. I need a rest from HoF's anyway.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AthleticTo...restricted.gif

Yam12 03-04-19 09:05 PM

I watched Coco tonight. Will get a write up later.

Citizen Rules 03-04-19 09:11 PM

I haven't watched anything, so I won't be writing anything later:D

rauldc14 03-04-19 09:30 PM

I haven't watched one yet either. One a these days.

Miss Vicky 03-04-19 10:11 PM

I'm planning on rewatching The Incredibles tonight, which will put me at the halfway point.

rauldc14 03-04-19 10:43 PM

So you will be done by Thursday?

Miss Vicky 03-04-19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1994003)
So you will be done by Thursday?
Possibly. Maybe even sooner, who knows. Two of the movies that are left are in my top ten, so might make them a double feature one night.

Miss Vicky 03-05-19 04:31 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ncredibles.gif

The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/4/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by Yam12

I don't like superhero movies. I don't like science fiction/fantasy in general. I don't like how black and white the characters tend to be. I roll my eyes when the heroes engage their superpowers and the over-the-top villains begin their monologuing and their sinister laughter. And yet, somehow, I love The Incredibles.

Don't get me wrong - my eyes still roll at those elements and they are absolutely my least favorite things about the movie - but the laughter and the tears greatly overshadow any annoyance. It's the scenes of the personal relationships between the characters that draw me in. It's Bob Parr standing in silent fury under bright florescent lighting as he is berated and belittled by his minuscule boss. It's little Edna Mode and her fierce refusal to accept BS and self pity. It's Honey telling Frozone that she's the greatest good he is ever going to get. It's Helen and Bob arguing about directions. And it's seeing the strong and stoic Mr. Incredible sobbing and broken when he thinks his family has been killed - and I sob right along with him. These are what make the film great. These are why I've watched it over and over again. These are why I count it among my all time favorites. Even so, of the 20 feature films Pixar has released to date, I'd rank it maybe #6.

-

edarsenal 03-05-19 09:16 PM

LOOOOOVE Edna!!!

Miss Vicky 03-05-19 09:46 PM

Debating on whether to continue my alphabetical trend or skip over Monsters U and come back to it later.

I seem to recall rating it
after watching it in the theater and I don't think I've watched it since, even though I own it on DVD. Oh well, at least it's not Brave.

edarsenal 03-05-19 09:51 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/14vqvUHRR4sTf2/giphy.gif

A Bug's Life

With my all time favorite already nominated and basically every other top, great film of PIxar to choose from, I, instead, went with their second film, a lesser known and sort of neglected film when people talk about PIxar: A Bug's Life.

Following Toy Story's success, A Bug's Life was, and is, a solid sophomore film from this company that ensured it's audience that they weren't a one hit wonder and caused a growing excitement to see what would come next. Which, as we all know, was and is a helluva list of animations with wit, charm and emotion.

Taking an old children's story; "The Ant and the Grasshopper" going generations past the initial story to the grasshopper's descendants(?) not only NOT learn it's lesson about saving for a rainy day, but instead come to insist, and downright aggressively DEMAND the ants to gather food for them -- or else.
With a slight tip of the hat to Seven Samurai and it's American version, The Magnificent Seven, our hero ant sets out to find "Warrior Bugs" to protect them from the Grasshoppers' return. The leader of which is voiced with excellent menace by Kevin Spacey.
There is also a great list, (like most PIxar films) of voice actors in this film in both major and secondary roles that are too long to mention but merit it all the same.

While A Bug's Life doesn't really deliver on the emotional impact that would make it one of the greats, it did follow the comedic route of the previous film that gave the adults that were dragged along to see this, something to watch, laugh at, and, even more importantly, find ourselves wandering back to childhood songs, nursery rhymes and things and memories we left behind and neglected when we became adults.
That is why, in that initial spirit and intention of this, then, budding animation company, to remind us of our childhood and all the memories we've forgotten and come to neglect, I chose a film that so often gets left behind.

edarsenal 03-05-19 10:23 PM

https://i.gifer.com/Cxbp.gif

Ratatouille

The eighth film out, PIxar had everything they were attempting to achieve down to an art form. Films that entertained both kids and adults, endearing characters and stories that made us laugh and, at times, get choked up, letting a tear tinged with joy, slip free.
Making this film, for me, one of the top greats out of PIxar.

Inspired by the Chef Gusteau's zest and love of cooking, our hero, a rat with an uncanny sense of smell and equal love for cooking finds a kind of marionette in a human named Linguine allowing him to pursue that love in Gusteau's restaurant.

Again, with a great list of actors lending their voice, including a few repeats from past films, we enjoy the staff and the antagonist, the imposing Anton Ego that inhabit this world of food, Paris and some beautiful life lessons such as
https://38.media.tumblr.com/514125ae...1o1_r1_400.gif

All wonderfully mixed and layered among the usual charm and wit of these characters we come to love and enjoy.

edarsenal 03-05-19 10:52 PM

https://riedstrap.files.wordpress.co...ity-quotes.gif

Monsters University

With the bar set extraordinarily HIGH for PIxar excellence by the time this film came out I guess I can understand it's initial lackluster acceptance by a lot of folks.

BUT,
It is still a worthwhile prequel to Monsters, Inc with the usual top notch list of actors and repeaters, we get to see Mike and Sully meet, despise one another and, in the end, become the team they are in the first film.
While it does lack the norm of emotional impact of other PIxar films, it still retains the ability to entertain and make us laugh on a number of points and situations.

Yes, yes, this is not a PIxar great, but it IS PIxar, and it is very much worthwhile and surprisingly fun to watch and enjoy.

I honestly feel pretty bad about waiting so long to finally judge and appreciate this film and will be adding it to the list of those I rewatch.

Miss Vicky 03-06-19 02:20 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...university.gif

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/5/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by Siddon

Despite the disappointments that were Cars 2 and Brother Bear 2: Mother Bear... er... I mean Brave (Have I mentioned yet that I don't like that movie?), I went into my first viewing of Monsters University with high expectations. It was, after all, a Pixar movie and I really like Monsters, Inc. so it couldn't be bad, right? It couldn't possibly be another Brave, right?!

The trouble with watching Pixar's lesser films is that they've set the bar for excellence so damn high that what I'd consider a decently good movie from another studio is a major disappointment from them - and that's what Monsters University was for me that first time. I might've smirked a time or two but there was no genuine laughter and that emotional punch - that Pixar magic - just wasn't there.

Watching the movie again tonight I can't say that any of that has actually changed. It still didn't make me laugh. It still didn't make me cry. It still didn't trigger any sort of intense emotion. But this time I went in with low expectations and found myself being at least moderately entertained by it.

edarsenal 03-06-19 11:02 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3EHFa6nNkw7VS/giphy.gif

The Incredibles

You KNOW you're doing everything right when even someone who doesn't care for the genre STILL enjoys your movie. As stated in Miss Vicky's review a few posts above.
Because, as she's stated, of the relationships within the family and all the human content that draws us in.
When Bob re-dons his old suit and, while stretching, his big stomach sticks out, or Helen, seeing her butt in a mirrored door and the look of concern her face. . . there's all kinds of moment's such as these that endears us. Along with the comedic wit about super heroes in general, we have, once again, PIxar dipping into the child within us, adding the sarcasm of adulthood sans the bitterness and we have another great romp into the Pixar world.

Even for a two hour movie, it whizzes right by, but, with --
https://media.tenor.com/images/aaad6...248d/tenor.gif

In short, another Pixar film that hits on all cylinders and one we watch again and again and again and again and again

Citizen Rules 03-07-19 12:41 PM

Yahoo! I finally watched my 1st nom for the HoF the other night, it was a good one too!...I think I'll do something different this time around and use a format outline to write my reviews. That way I can more easily compare apples to apples...err I mean Pixar to Pixar:). So instead of shooting from the hip and writing stream of consciousness I.E. babbling like I usually do:p, I'll try something different this time around.

Miss Vicky 03-07-19 12:48 PM

I rewatched Ratatouille last night. Should have my write up posted sometime today. I might squeeze the remaining two in tonight.

Citizen Rules 03-07-19 01:33 PM

Coco does world building par excellence! I've never seen another movie that was packed with so much rich detail in the background scenes that it felt like you were right there.

I've been to different parts of Mexico and a lot of what I seen in the film looked very familiar and that is one huge plus for Coco. I loved the whole look at the traditional Mexican families way of life. I was amazed not only with the detail that went into the animation but also with the details of the story. Loved the way the trucks parked halfway on the sidewalks, yup they do that alright!

I loved the fore mentioned street scenes, but even more I loved the village of the dead, that was world building done up right! Coco has such a richly developed story and superb animation that I think this will finish right towards the top of my list.

World Building:

Animation:

Character Development:
Nothing outstanding in the richness of the characters, but fore the scope of the
intended target audience they work fine.

Story Premise:
Had this just been about a boy who dreamed of being a musician in a family that hated music, then the story would have been OK average. But the whole world of the dead with the reverences for past family members who needed to be remembered to exist in the nether world was genius.

Believability:
I believed it.

Originality:
Yes I know Coco seems a lot like Spirited Away (another film I loved) but that's OK as no idea in art is completely original. All unique ideas are built on the back of other ideas.

Other Thoughts:
I disliked the way the dog was animated. With it's eyes bulging out and it's tongue flying around like a flag in the wind...it looked grotesque. It reminded me of Ren and Stimpy (which I did love for it's grotesqueness) but here I'd have liked the dog to be more enduring. Better yet the sidekick dog idea is overused, so I'd preferred it dog free.

Favorite Moments: Frieda! OMG that scene was so bizarrely surrealistic. I loved the art work so created, damn that was crazy stuff! I could've watched an entire film about Freida in skeltonville and been pleased as punch!

Nomination by: @Nathaniel

Miss Vicky 03-07-19 05:45 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...uillegrape.gif

Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/6/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by Citizen Rules

An animated film with a rat protagonist? Pixar would've had to really screw this one up for me to not like it.

That said, what Pixar delivered is one of their finest films and it was responsible for taking me from casual appreciator to all out fan girl. With every viewing I've been blown away by its meticulous attention to detail, vibrant colors, wonderful character design, and an engaging underdog - er, underrat - story about the importance of following your dreams and not taking your friends and family for granted.

What I really love about the film is how well it blends its realistic and fantastic elements to create something that is silly but also heartfelt. The animators really did their research and it shows. The food looks nearly good enough to eat and the rats move in a mostly rat-like way. I also love the little touches like Ego's coffin shaped office and his typewriter that resembles a skull, the rat band with their improvised instruments, and Skinner with his hilarious combover and little man syndrome. It's the perfect mix of whimsical and touching, and those rats are just too damn cute!

Siddon 03-07-19 10:38 PM

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...y_buzz.0.0.jpg

Toy Story, I watched this film 20 years ago and haven't felt the to watch it again since. We all know the plot of the story, Woody is the leader of Andy's toys and Andy get's a new toy that doesn't know he's a toy in Buzz. Shenanigans occur and Woody and Buzz end up with Andy's nextdoor neighbor Sid who is a monster.

Unfortunately as you rewatch this film you pick up on all the flaws from the first all-CGI film. The humans look bad but the character movement just feels off and the backgrounds feel like computer wallpaper. One of the other things I forgot about this film was how uneven the acts are, the first act being a masterpiece of ensemble work only those characters are eschewed for the journey story of Woody and Buzz.

Tom Hanks is great in this..Tim Allen is okay but I'm now curious to watch the second Toy Story to see if this is the weakest installment of the series.

Next Up...is the next one up

Siddon 03-07-19 11:24 PM

https://statici.behindthevoiceactors...chises/439.jpg

A Bug's Life is the story of a grasshopper hoarde who forces an ant colony to provide them with food for the winter. When one ant (Flik) stands up to the head evil grasshopper (Hopper) the colony sends out Flik to find help. Flik comes back with a group of other insects and forms a plan to stop Hopper.

This is sort of an over-correction from A Toy Story, in this one the villain (Kevin Spacey) is really good while the hero (Dave Foley) is sort of the weakest part of the film. The animation looks far better here than in Toy Story, the character's move much more naturally and backgrounds have also improved a bit. The film also sticks to a genre as it's basically a western/samurai film.

Siddon 03-07-19 11:40 PM

https://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/images/...9c4dc5_600.jpg

The Incredibles is really the final step in the human evolution at Pixar. It's also a fairly decent super hero story and it's got some good messaging for kids and adults. It centers around the story of Mr Incredible who after saving the life of a person who didn't want to be saved ends up living in a witness protection program. Years later after the boredom of his day to day life he returns to heroics as well as his super family.

I dug this one quite a bit, the film takes inspiration from the old Fleisher Superman shorts. Bird also did a great job humanizing the villain as I'm not entirely sure Syndrome was in the wrong. The film also has a number of stronger small moments. My only complaint with the film is that the third act drags a little bit for me. It's a little sad when I was more excited for the Under-Miner than the big bad(s).

Siddon 03-07-19 11:58 PM

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=2500w

I would argue that peak Pixar is the first act of UP, that first half hour/forty-five minutes of UP is a combination of joy, wonder, and sadness. It's also telling that how the second act of UP can't even possibly live up to the first part and that's also correct. But what I noticed with a second watch was that Kevin, Mutz, and Dug are all great. We don't have Ellie but what we ended up with wasn't half bad in and of itself and I'm starting to think that was the point all along.

I wasn't too crazy with the early Pixar or the late Pixar but for me this is one of those Pixar films that could have and should have been the Best Picture winner(this was the year The Hurt Locker beat Avatar) I think this has aged better

Miss Vicky 03-08-19 01:43 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...oystoryrex.gif

Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995)
Imdb

Date Watched: 3/7/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by ahwell

As a Pixar fan, I'm something of an anomaly in that I've never been particularly enamored with Toy Story. Don't get me wrong, I think the movie is quite amusing and it's an easy, entertaining watch. I also think it boasts some really strong voice performances and obviously it was groundbreaking for its time, but my experience with it - and I've seen many times over - has never gone beyond just good.

I recognize that the film is 24 years old at this point and that many advances have been made in the art of computer animation but I can't help but find the unnatural movements of the living beings of the film - especially those of Sid's dog, Scud - to be very jarring. And this is something that has bothered me from my very first viewing of the film (back in my high school Spanish class, with the Spanish dub :laugh: ). I've also never been able to establish any strong emotional connection to the story or to its characters - at least not in this first film, though the third one did bring me to tears. Ultimately this is a movie that I like and that I respect, but not one that I will ever love.

Siddon 03-08-19 02:20 AM

https://images.nymag.com/movies/revi...070702_560.jpg

Ratatouille is the story of a rat with a great palette and a garbage boy who cooks for said rat. I'm not sure how to classify this one, it's sort of inspired by Cyrano De Bergerac so I supposeyou could call this a romantic comedy. Though really the focus is more on the food and the rat and the romance is basically a B even C plot. Perhaps you could say this is a film that is an exercise in character work as so many of the strongest elements come from character actors. Patton Oswald is perhaps the strongest lead of any PIXAR film giving Remy a pathos his charisma oozes off the screen. Brad Garrett plays Gusteau the ghost of a once great chef whose legacy is being turned to ruin by the films antogonist. You've also got Peter O'Toole in one of his last standout roles as a critic and he gives a heartbreaking and powerful soliloquy on criticism.

The film is somewhat dogmatic, it has an agenda and it pushes it hard to you. Normally this is the sort of thing that sinks a film but it works well here mostly because it never settles on a genre.

It was a good movie it just felt like it was missing something to make it great

Siddon 03-08-19 02:33 AM

https://mondrian.mashable.com/upload....amazonaws.com

I had been down on PIXAR for while while some of their films I absolutely adored Brave and Inside Out left me cold I felt like Disney had taken the lead in quality with Wreck-It Ralph, Zootopia, and Moana . The bounce back for me was Coco, the first true musical from PIXAR with a bit of inspiration from Orpheus. Coco tells the story of a young boy Miguel whose family has banned music, Coco is his great grandmother and the deus ex machina of the story.

Miguel through shenanigans is sent to the world of the dead where he comes to meet his great great grandfather(not that he knows it) Hector(great name from classic stories) he's also dealing with his idol Ernesto. Now the plot is fairly predictable you can pretty much hit every note before hand yet I was still transfixed by the film. What makes this film so good is it's about nuance and textures. We see this massive world filled with vibrant colors and life and yet you also get a sense of the stakes in which these people are living. Also the songs are so good and Remember Me is played several different ways each one working on different levels.

Siddon 03-08-19 02:51 AM

https://i0.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-con...&type=vertical

Sometimes a simple story told well is enough and that is Finding Nemo. Finding Nemo tells the story of Nemo who is taken by a dentist and his father, Marlin must travel the Ocean to find him. The film has an episodic nature to it which works very well as a "road film", with each part perfectly balanced. Visually it's a stunning film as this world clearly easier to animate than those based on the "real world". But the other thing that I love about this film is the score. This is a movie that isn't just interested in the visual but also audio storytelling.

Albert Brooks is almost always good in everything and he anchors this film. He's a giving actor and he allows Marlin to have a strong pathos that plays off any and all characters he comes across.

Siddon 03-08-19 04:13 AM

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2...rsity-02-1.jpg

Monsters University was a blind nom for me, I didn't care much for Monsters Inc and the idea of revisiting those characters in a prequel was kinda meh. So I'm going to finish up my marathon with this one that I skipped all those years ago.

Monsters University attempts to make a straight up PIXAR comedy, it's in essence Revenge of the Nerds or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It feels at times padded and at other times woefully under written. Mike is supposed to be a "cute" monster and therefore doesn't belong as a major terrifying one...here's the problem with that I can't tell the difference between the "cute" ones and the "scary" ones. Mike is also more of a lead with Scully as a supporting figure yet I think Scully's arc and journey is more compelling. So that's the drama part and that fails moving onto the comedy.

I thought the comedy worked at points, I laughed a few times at the joke setups

rauldc14 03-08-19 04:43 AM

That's a lot of movies in one day Siddon! Nice movie marathon I bet

Siddon 03-08-19 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1994901)
That's a lot of movies in one day Siddon! Nice movie marathon I bet

I watched three of them during the week and then five today

Nathaniel 03-10-19 06:00 PM

I've come away very impressed both times I've watched Ratatouille. Remy's route to master chef is compelling but there is something there that sticks it at
. A little bit below my top films from Pixar. It's perhaps the emotional depth which Ratatouille doesn't have for me in the same way as a Coco or a Wall-E. Or the psychological edge which I prefer in Inside Out or Up. Recommended for sure though and I understand its fandom. I wouldn't query someone who says this is Pixar's best.

It's an excellent tale focused on creative expression and finding your passion in life. There's such movement and fluidity as Remy traverses his way through every single part of Pixar Paris. The film bounces through each scene, only pausing for moments of reflection. It ratchets up the drama and comedy that way, showing us the franticness of a rat's existence through the medium of food.

I really liked the way it captures this romanticised view of Paris from the perspective of an outsider. Films are prone to doing this very awkwardly but there's heartfelt wonder when Remy views a certain monument for the first time. An encouragement to dream big. This is probably my favourite Pixar score too. Michael Giacchino absolutely killed it with this one. Dreamy and extremely French.

Ratatouille is a great flick and one I'll continue to revisit.

Citizen Rules 03-11-19 11:07 PM

Finding Nemo (2003)

15 years ago was the one and only time I watched this. Not surprisingly I didn't remember a thing about it. So in a way this was like a first time watch. I enjoyed it too, especially Ellen DeGeneres' Dory. Her character, a Blue Tang with short term memory lost made the film fun for me. I loved the underwater setting, it reminded me of fun times snorkeling and free diving in the tropics. I can't say that I've seen a clown fish in the wild before but I've seen a sea turtle up-close and personal and seen an Eagle Ray about 10 meters below me at Molokini Crater, Hawaii. So, I really dug all the fish and the underwater world they lived in.

World Building:
We see it all from the shallow coral reef, to sunken ships and sharks and open water and to the deep abyss ( I seen one of those sheer drop offs once while free diving, damn! it's wild looking let me tell ya!)

Animation:
I could say that the animation wasn't as detailed as Coco but that's unfair as Finding Nemo is a 16 year old film so should only be compared to the state of animation at the time, and I though it looked great.

Character Development:
Nothing outstanding in the richness of the characters, but for the scope of the
intended target audience it worked just fine.

Story Premise:
It worked as we got to see different parts of an ocean and even the inside of a fish tank at a dentist office

Other Thoughts:
The only thing I didn't like was the surfer dude turtles. I didn't like them 15 years ago and I still didn't, just too silly for me. I would have liked a different type of 'suffer dude' other than a Jeff Spicoli imitation from Fast Times at Ridgemount High. On the other hand had Sean Penn did the voice for the turtle that would have been totally tubular! ha.

Favorite Moments: The entire fish tank scene. I have an aquarium and yes fish do plan escapes...which often doesn't end well:eek:

Nomination by: @rauldc14

edarsenal 03-11-19 11:08 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/NoHe3HpB1Mg8w/giphy.gif

Up!

Is definitely in the top echelon of Pixar films in regards to heartwarming and to beautifully plucking at the heart strings. Starting right from the get-go with a montage that plays out like a Pixar short film. Which they are SO adept at expressing SO much in such simplistic and minuscule ways.
It's easy to pick out those "moments" in many a Pixar film that express with such sentimental volumes and Up! has countless of them regarding the life shared with Carl and Ellie. And now, without Ellie. Carl following through with a promise he made by crossing his heart.

A lot of us, (for good reason) highly praise the opening and how wonderfully it enamors us that we seem to forget just how much we care as we follow along with Carl in the house they shared, now, alone.
Followed by the impetus that sends him on his "new" adventure with Russel and, eventually Kevin and Dug.

As stated, this IS heartwarming and I am, quite, enamored to the wit, color and emotion that encompasses this film.

Adventure IS out there!

Yam12 03-12-19 10:01 PM

Coco (2017)
https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.c...oco.jpg?w=1000

This was one of the two films in this HoF I had not seen before and I had heard good things so I was looking forward to it.

Overall this did live up to my expectations. The film had a pretty creative story that was quite compelling and the look of the film was very vibrant and colourful. The story was also quite emotional and touching and the animation is quite splendid. Also felt that the characters were pretty entertaining to watch and I did like the songs. Overall definitely one of Pixar's best efforts in recent years.

edarsenal 03-14-19 12:48 AM

watched Coco and Finding Nemo, should have reviews posted in the next day or so.

Miss Vicky 03-15-19 02:05 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ntdown/dug.gif

Imdb

Date Watched: 3/14/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by me

"A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, 'I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead.' Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."

Of course it's impossible to talk about Up without talking about its incredibly moving opening sequence (which leaves me in tears - like "ugly cry" kind of sobbing - every single time), but as magical as the love story of Carl and Ellie might be, I consider the rest of the film to be just as masterfully crafted.

Full of rich color and detail, endearing characters (Dug is too cute and I'm not even a dog person), and an exciting and imaginative story, Up is a film that is just so easy to fall in love with. It also balances out its touching moments with a significant helping of humor. Romance, tragedy, comedy, adventure and just a touch of fantasy - It's the perfect blend of just about all the things that make me love movies.

edarsenal 03-15-19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1996441)
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ntdown/dug.gif

Imdb

Date Watched: 3/14/19
Reason For Watching: Pixar Hall of Fame, nominated by me

It's the perfect blend of just about all the things that make me love movies.

Amen!

Citizen Rules 03-15-19 09:58 PM

"By tying thousands of balloons to his house, Carl sets out to fulfill his dream to see the wilds of South America"

I love the rain forest...in real life they're really dark and really wet...ha go figure! Well it did rain in the movie so that was fitting. I liked how the house kept them dry as it floated overhead. Though my favorite part was the first 30 minutes as we're getting to know Carl and Ellie. Wow that was really touching film making and such good use of montages to compress the couple's story into about 20 minutes. That first act reminded of the silent film Sunrise.

I'd say the film achieved everything it set out to do, and yet there were parts that didn't really speak to me.

World Building:
I loved the old house and how it was decorated, and especially loved the interior of the giant air ship, very cool looking.

Animation:

Character Development:
Nothing outstanding in the richness of the characters (except the first act). But like the other noms the characters work well for the intended audience.

Story Premise:
The first 30 minutes were powerful after that I wasn't that connect to it, though visually it looked good.

Originality:
Pretty darn original I must say. Especially the dog culture parts, loved the planes that had chew bones as flight control.

Other Thoughts:
I must say I didn't like Ed Asner as the old man Carl, he didn't seem to have much personality to me. I'd like to have seen Jack Black do the voice of Carl. I didn't like the little kid, he was made way too stupid for me to like. While I liked Dory in Finding Nemo, I never warmed up to the kid. I kept wishing he would just go away.

Favorite Moments: The dog. This time the friendly dog was the biggest charmer in the movie. He added a lot of warmth and fun.

Nomination by: @Miss Vicky