Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=31726)

teeter_g 04-29-13 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 901065)
^^ JJ is taking second round votes already, ready for when this round finishes... I sent mine in a couple days ago.
Yeah, I sent mine in too. It would be nice if everyone finishes up early and we got to start early. Probably won't happen. :)

teeter_g 05-06-13 12:26 PM

Re: The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

How many people still have to turn in their votes? Just curious.

jiraffejustin 05-06-13 03:05 PM

Myself and seven others haven't voted yet.

teeter_g 05-06-13 06:54 PM

LOL! Alrighty, thank you. :)

The Gunslinger45 05-06-13 07:14 PM

I can vote as soon as I watch Farewell My Concubine on Netflix, and get Nausicaa on DVD this week

Cobpyth 05-06-13 10:00 PM

I still have to see American History X, Nausicaä and Farewell My Concubine.

I'm probably seeing American History X tomorrow.

Cobpyth 05-07-13 10:28 PM

Just watched American History X and I liked it. I'm writing a short review about it in the near future.

Just because I'm curious: Teeter, what makes it your favorite movie of all time?

teeter_g 05-08-13 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 903012)
Just watched American History X and I liked it. I'm writing a short review about it in the near future.

Just because I'm curious: Teeter, what makes it your favorite movie of all time?
I love everything about it. There isn't any part in it where I go 'Now, why would they do that?' I do that with almost every other movie that I have ever watched.

jiraffejustin 05-09-13 03:39 AM

Just saw The Purple Rose of Cairo. It was an enjoyable experience, but it probably won't be in my top 6. I liked it, but didn't love it.

Cobpyth 05-11-13 02:09 PM

I'm watching Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind tonight. I'll give my opinion about it after.

I also rewatched Psycho with my little sister several days ago (I like to show her some classic movies). She was completely mindblown!
I still love it, obviously, but I'm not sure where to put it on my list yet. We'll see. ;)

Cobpyth 05-17-13 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 904084)
I'm watching Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind tonight. I'll give my opinion about it after.
I liked this, by the way. It was really inventive and of very high quality!

I'll try to watch the last movie I havn't seen yet, which is Farewell My Concubine, this week. After that I just want to rewatch some of the others and then I'll be able to give my reliable top 5 of this list of great films! :)

Guaporense 05-20-13 11:11 PM

It's top 6 by the way.

Godoggo 05-20-13 11:52 PM

I'm ready to send in my list. Can someone refresh me on the rules? It's top six, right? With you top movie first and the lowest ranked movie last?

teeter_g 05-20-13 11:53 PM

Yep

EDIT: Went back and looked to see what the procedures were actually supposed to be like for this round so, here ya go:

VOTING PROCEDURES:

The selection of an inductee shall be decided over three rounds.

First Round:

12 Films. A PR vote in order from favourite to 6th favourite. Points to be awarded as such:

1st Choice: 10 Pts
2nd Choice: 8 Pts
3rd Choice: 6 Pts
4th Choice: 4 Pts
5th Choice: 2 Pts
6th Choice: 1 Pt

Please list all 12 films in preferential order.

teeter_g 05-21-13 09:29 PM

just so you all will notice the edit to my last post. :)

jiraffejustin 05-21-13 09:35 PM

Not everybody has listed all 12 films in order, and that is fine, but next round you'll have to send in new votes with the 6 remaining. Those that send in a full 12 ranked can just use the same order for the next round if they wanted, but you can change your order from round to round if you choose to do so.

teeter_g 05-21-13 09:38 PM

Just tryin to help ya out there bud. LOL! I figured it would be easier just to post the original thing here again, so people wouldn't have to go back and forth between the posts.

jiraffejustin 05-21-13 09:45 PM

Much obliged, potna.

jiraffejustin 05-22-13 10:03 PM

Just finished my rewatch of City Lights. It's not as good as some of the other Chaplin features, but it's still heartwarming and has it's funny moments. It's not the LOL funny we have in the other comedies in this round, but none of those comedies are as touching as City Lights. It's a pretty good film, but honestly, I don't know if "pretty good" is good enough for Hall of Fame status. I would like to see The Kid and The Gold Rush in the HoF someday though.

The Gunslinger45 05-22-13 10:10 PM

I just have to watch Farewell my Concubine and I will be done. And I will do that on my four day weekend.

Godoggo 05-22-13 10:24 PM

Everyone seems to be saving the best for last. ;)

jiraffejustin 05-22-13 10:44 PM

I also only have Farewell My Concubine to go. I think the runtime might be what's keeping it at the back of the queue, but it will the freshest on everybody's mind, so it might help it out.

Guaporense 05-24-13 07:40 PM

I remember that I sent my list a month ago after I watched the whole 12 nominated movies over the course of a single weekend. :) I have ranked the 12 movies and I don't plan to change the ranking in the next rounds.

jiraffejustin 05-24-13 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 907517)
I remember that I sent my list a month ago after I watched the whole 12 nominated movies over the course of a single weekend. :) I have ranked the 12 movies and I don't plan to change the ranking in the next rounds.
Sounds good. :up:

jiraffejustin 05-28-13 09:14 PM

Just a little mini-announcement. After we finish this hall of fame, I think the hall of fame will be on hiatus for a short while. At least until we finish up that big tournament. I still think the hall of fame is a good thing, but I have sort of fallen in love with the tournament format.

The Gunslinger45 05-28-13 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 908748)
Just a little mini-announcement. After we finish this hall of fame, I think the hall of fame will be on hiatus for a short while. At least until we finish up that big tournament. I still think the hall of fame is a good thing, but I have sort of fallen in love with the tournament format.
I dig it

teeter_g 05-28-13 10:23 PM

Why not have a Hall-o-Fame tournament? Just a suggestion. :)

jiraffejustin 05-28-13 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 908760)
Why not have a Hall-o-Fame tournament? Just a suggestion. :)
I think we can consider that huge tournament I am running as a hall of fame tournament. I could keep running them like that if all goes well. As of right now, I have more interest in them that way.

teeter_g 05-28-13 10:28 PM

LOL! It's cool. I didn't jump into that big tourney though, and now I regret it.....

TheUsualSuspect 05-28-13 10:55 PM

That giant film tournament you are running...all the films were nominated by a handful of people, whereas this is more organized and seems more legit.

I'm not going to bother with the other tournament because it doesn't represent what a tournament should be, in my opinion. How can be be a mega movie tournament when you are only getting the tastes of 12 or so members. No noms from Yoda, Mark f or Holden, three of the biggest members here whose film tastes mean a heck of a lot.

Again, my opinion, but a mistake.

Cobpyth 05-28-13 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 908768)
That giant film tournament you are running...all the films were nominated by a handful of people, whereas this is more organized and seems more legit.

I'm not going to bother with the other tournament because it doesn't represent what a tournament should be, in my opinion. How can be be a mega movie tournament when you are only getting the tastes of 12 or so members. No noms from Yoda, Mark f or Holden, three of the biggest members here whose film tastes mean a heck of a lot.

Again, my opinion, but a mistake.
True. It also won't work because of some small unknown films that nobody ever watched except a handful of people. The tournament could be decided by one small film that only 2 persons saw and that possibly could become the winner of a MoFo tournament. It's just ridiculous, in my opinion. The system works maybe with 32 movies, but not with 256.

I find this Hall of Fame formula very charming and intimate and it's really regretful that you're shying away from it, Jiraf.

jiraffejustin 05-28-13 11:07 PM

I'll still handle the running of it, but I just won't participate in it. I just like the tournament concept, as it allows me to see more films. That's all I really care about to be honest.

Cobpyth 05-28-13 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 908773)
I'll still handle the running of it, but I just won't participate in it. I just like the tournament concept, as it allows me to see more films. That's all I really care about to be honest.
Since when can't you see films on your own without a tournament? :p
This tournament is so much fun, because it's like a small movie club that watches 12 films together and then discusses/rates those pictures after 3 months.

jiraffejustin 05-28-13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 908775)
Since when can't you see films on your own without a tournament? :p
Touche. I guess it gives me the necessary kick in the pants.

jiraffejustin 05-28-13 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 908775)
This tournament is so much fun, because it's like a small movie club that watches 12 films together and then discusses/rates those pictures after 3 months.
I am a really big pushover. Okay, hall of fame is back on. :D

donniedarko 06-12-13 11:38 PM

I'll just be abrupt here and say Valley of the Wind is one of the worst films I've ever seen. I mean I was somewhat underwhelmed by Spirited Way and especially hated the ending, but Atleast I felt the beauty in animation. This was just a highly polished turd honest to god. It's a children's fairy tale and if I watched this when I was five I'd still say it's crap. It was torture to watch this to the end, I mean watching baby first programming makes me less awed at how bad it is. Well I'm done with seeing all the films, just gotta do a few repeat viewings now.

jiraffejustin 06-13-13 12:02 AM

Honesty is the best policy...though I disagree.

HitchFan97 06-13-13 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 912380)
This was just a highly polished turd honest to god.
:laugh: I haven't even seen the movie but for some reason this sentence made me laugh.

Mr Minio 06-13-13 01:33 PM

I'll just be abrupt here and say Valley of the Wind is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Don't Worry. I bet Gua will prove you wrong by writing the 100th pean in the name of this flawless masterpiece. Have to finally watch it myself.

donniedarko 06-13-13 01:42 PM

If Tokyo critics like it, it's blasphemy to hate it.

and no you really don't need to watch it. If you missed out on it when you were 8 it's to late now.

mark f 06-13-13 01:48 PM

Yeah, there's no body mutilation in it. :)

The Gunslinger45 06-13-13 01:56 PM

I'll just be abrupt here and say Valley of the Wind is one of the worst films I've ever seen. I mean I was somewhat underwhelmed by Spirited Way and especially hated the ending, but Atleast I felt the beauty in animation. This was just a highly polished turd honest to god. It's a children's fairy tale and if I watched this when I was five I'd still say it's crap. It was torture to watch this to the end, I mean watching baby first programming makes me less awed at how bad it is. Well I'm done with seeing all the films, just gotta do a few repeat viewings now.
You and I are on very different pages my friend, as I prefer this movie to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Mr Minio 06-13-13 02:05 PM

But I really want to see any Miyazaki film to understand why Gua loves him so much. I don't deny I might love it.

The Gunslinger45 06-13-13 02:12 PM

I guess start with Spirited Away. A lot of people say it is his best.

Camo 06-13-13 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 912497)
But I really want to see any Miyazaki film to understand why Gua loves him so much. I don't deny I might love it.
I'd suggest Princess Mononoke, it's the only one i've enjoyed out of the 3 i've seen.

Mr Minio 06-13-13 02:28 PM

Will be watching a Miyazaki film eventually. I still didn't pull myself to watching Perfect Blue.

donniedarko 06-13-13 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 912495)
Well sh*t I just realized all my top ten movies have some sort of body mutilation in them, except Duck Soup. But I think you were reffering me liking 10/65: Selbstverstümmelung. :devil:

Mr Minio 06-13-13 02:45 PM

10/65: Selbstverstümmelung is a great short. I didn't like other 2 by this director, though. Too random.

Cobpyth 06-18-13 05:31 PM

I'm watching the last film, which is Farewell My Concubine. After that, I'll probably be able to send in my list.

Guaporense 06-20-13 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 912492)
If Tokyo critics like it, it's blasphemy to hate it.

and no you really don't need to watch it. If you missed out on it when you were 8 it's to late now.
You are not in the right age for it anyway. :p

I guess that you should be older to understand it or younger. Though your own personality might be incompatible to it.

Anyway, considering it is easily the most complex film out of these 12 (at least in terms of plot), I wouldn't call it childish.

Guaporense 06-20-13 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 912505)
Will be watching a Miyazaki film eventually. I still didn't pull myself to watching Perfect Blue.
Perfect Blue has nothing to do with Miyazaki's work. Overall, in terms of tone I would say that Takahata, Hosoda and Shinkai are much closer to Miyazaki than Kon. Kon's movies don't even feel very Japanese (I guess that Donnie Darko might like Perfect Blue, it's has even a rape scene).

Guaporense 06-20-13 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 912495)
Well, Nausicaa actually has a very feminine childlike mentality: "let's save the baby ohm", "how cruel, they are mistreating the poor baby ohm", "the people of the valley are in danger, I must sacrifice myself to save them", she lacks that hardness and selfishness that characterizes adult male characters in cynical adult movies (which are most movies, by the way). But that's why I love it I, I am feed up with cynical characters.

I find characters with a cynical adult mentality to be boring and cold - and a poor artistic choice for the director-. However, I guess that a 15 year old boy that is in a natural process of rejecting his own childhood and cutesy characteristics might not like a cinematic statement characterized by these very same features. Indeed, that's why I suggested Satoshi Kon for him, since this is a director of anime movies that teenagers might like more.

I don't think I might have liked the Nausicaa character if I had watched it before becoming a mature adult - though I might guess that I would have loved the other elements of the movie. When I was 14-15 I liked movies where the main character was a cynical men that crushed, defeated and humiliated his enemies. Now I find that kind of character to be juvenile, though I am still able to enjoy it but now I do enjoy even more watching characters with an unshakable sense of dignity and a childlike sense of humanism - even though people like these are very hard to find in the real world- Nausicaa is a Christ like figure.

jiraffejustin 06-20-13 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 914590)
Perfect Blue has nothing to do with Miyazaki's work. Overall, in terms of tone I would say that Takahata, Hosoda and Shinkai are much closer to Miyazaki than Kon. Kon's movies don't even feel very Japanese (I guess that Donnie Darko might like Perfect Blue, it's has even a rape scene).
You make it sound like David Hess is his favorite actor. :p

donniedarko 06-20-13 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 914599)
I find characters with a cynical adult mentality to be boring and cold - and a poor artistic choice for the director-. However, I guess that a 15 year old boy that is in a natural process of rejecting his own childhood and cutesy characteristics might not like a cinematic statement characterized by these very same features. Indeed, that's why I suggested Satoshi Kon for him, since this is a director of anime movies that teenagers might like more.
I'm 16 :D

I just think the way Miyazaki reasons when telling a story is ridiculous and is childlike, in the sense that I feel he pulls stuff out of his ass. Take the edning to Spirited Away for example
WARNING: "Spirited Away" spoilers below
Where the main girl tells her friend that she knows his name is some river and she knows that because the river brought her back her shoe once
, I mean there's no logic to that. nothing complex, nothing that takes effort to come up with that bull ****. The dialogue (and no I didn't watch the dubbed version) is childlike and just weak. I understand these movies have adult like symbolism, but that doesn't matter if it's not executed properly.

Mr Minio 06-20-13 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 914590)
(I guess that donniedarko might like Perfect Blue, it's has even a rape scene).
Haha, love this! You made poor Donnie Darko a pervert!

Cobpyth 06-22-13 12:18 PM

Spirited Away is a very smart and complex film, in my opinion. I think you focus way too much on the superficial elements of Miyazaki's stories, but your criticism is certainly not unfounded. You should keep in mind, though, that his films are made for children too, so there's nothing wrong with having certain 'childish' elements. Oh well, if it's not your cup of tea, you shouldn't taste it any futher, I guess.
I do recommend Porco Rosso to you, though. I think you might like that one a little more. It's quite different from Miyazaki's other work.

I watched every film on this Hall of Fame list now, by the way.
My question is:

Should I send in a top 12 or just a top 6?

jiraffejustin 06-22-13 02:05 PM

Top 12 is preferable

Cobpyth 06-22-13 03:28 PM

Just sent in my top 12 (+ some short thoughts about my top 6 films).

I can't wait to see everyone's top 12 and the final results! :)

teeter_g 06-22-13 08:02 PM

How much longer?! LOL! I'm dieing to see what movies made the second round!!!
I feel like an eager 3 year old. :)

jiraffejustin 06-24-13 04:07 PM

Those of you that haven't sent in your votes yet, how many do you have left to see? We can work out when this round will finish up based off of that.

donniedarko 06-24-13 04:14 PM

Sent in my list :)

jiraffejustin 06-24-13 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 916125)
Sent in my list :)
Got it, thanks :up:

We now need votes from:

HitchFan
Skepsis
jal90

HitchFan97 06-24-13 05:02 PM

Agh, I've been slacking off :eek: Now that it's summer I need to plow through the other eight films here.

teeter_g 06-24-13 07:01 PM

Sweet, only 3 people left to turn in their lists so that we can soon get to round dos.

jiraffejustin 06-24-13 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 916142)
Agh, I've been slacking off :eek: Now that it's summer I need to plow through the other eight films here.
Ha! Keep us updated with your progress. When you get down to a couple left I'll set a deadline.

Guaporense 06-25-13 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 915252)
Spirited Away is a very smart and complex film, in my opinion.
His third most complex. Nausicaa and P. Mononoke are actually more complex, though less 'artsy' than Spirited Away. All his films are very smart and complex if compared to the average stuff hollywood puts out even Castle in the Sky, a less complex work, is smarter than the average blockbuster.

Anyway, I am surprised that Donnie Darko hated Nausicaa, while I didn't expect him to love it I also though that this movie is rather accessible for a broad spectrum of people (that was his intention), though a 16 year old male is pretty much the least adequate demographic for Miyazaki's work (as I explained earlier). As he grows up he will probably develop a different opinion of these movies.

I do recommend Porco Rosso to you, though. I think you might like that one a little more. It's quite different from Miyazaki's other work.
Indeed. Though it has Fio, which is a childlike character like Nausicaa. The difference is that it is not the main character. Princess Mononoke lacks any childlike character, though.

I watched every film on this Hall of Fame list now, by the way.
My question is:

Should I send in a top 12 or just a top 6?
I sent my top 12 so that it already gives your ordering for the next round. Let's say that some of the movies in your top 6 drop out, he can know what would be your new top 6 from the movies that didn't drop out of the competition.

donniedarko 06-25-13 01:00 AM

Actually Porco Rosso is the only ghilibi film that I want to watch.

Guaporense 06-25-13 01:19 AM

Takahata's films are strictly adult. Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies don't have any of the childlike elements present in all of Miyazaki's work, even Porco Rosso has some childlike elements and a sense of unshakable dignity that is often associated with family friendly material.

Takahata and Satoshi Kon are the anime directors that made movies for adults only.

jiraffejustin 06-25-13 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 916310)
Actually Porco Rosso is the only ghilibi film that I want to watch.
Have you seen Princess Mononoke? I think it's something you could enjoy.

Guaporense 06-25-13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 916323)
Princess Mononoke is Nausicaa without the cuteness and childlikeness of Nausicaa, the character, substituted for brutality. It's the only brutal Miyazaki movie and thus his favorite movie among fans of adult anime in the west.

Nausicaä 06-25-13 07:28 AM

I am surprised that Donnie Darko hated Nausicaa
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrmnb5IcQh1qb6qm9.gif

donniedarko 06-25-13 01:05 PM

^Ha, your avatar hates your username.

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 916323)
No I Haven't. I saw the trailer on the Spirited Away DVD, and it looked awful.

Mr Minio 06-25-13 01:25 PM

Judging a movie by trailer is like judging a girl's looks by it's back.

donniedarko 06-25-13 02:33 PM

I am an ass type of guy though.

rauldc14 06-25-13 02:55 PM

this looks like fun guys. The thing I like best is that you've given lots of time for people to see all the films involved. If this happens again, I'd love to be a part of it.

Guaporense 06-25-13 03:10 PM

The English language trailer of P.M. is horrible. The Japanese trailer is much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyX89c3nSHw

I think I will nominate Ponyo or My Neighbor Totoro for the next round of the Mofo hall of fame. If Donnie though Nausicaa was childish, what he will think of those - that are Miyazaki's actual 100% children's movies? I think he will hate the cuteness of these movies so much that he will have a stroke watching any one of these. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4rqs62pL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyXe4qW8CM

Japanese culture appear to me to be more childlike than US culture, explaining why an American might view Nausicaa as a movie for people under 8, even though it was explicitly made for people much older than that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdPPEwguDQ

Cobpyth 07-06-13 09:23 PM

Don't forget this, guys!

@Guaporense: I would like you to send in a more obscure anime film that I haven't seen yet, but I guess that's not really the point of a Hall of Fame.

I think My Neighbor Totoro has its adult elements, by the way. It's probably my second favorite Miyazaki film. It also had that magical feeling that I also felt with Spirited Away. That kind of feeling I didn't really find in Howl's Moving Castle (for instance), although it's also very magical plotwise. I can't really put my finger on the exact reason, though. Somehow the two films I first mentioned had a much bigger effect on me.

Ponyo is indeed very much for children. I liked it. I'm still a (big) child myself!
Didn't have that magical feeling I talked about earlier, though.

teeter_g 07-06-13 10:32 PM

How are we doing as far as finishing this round?

jiraffejustin 07-06-13 11:01 PM

Still have a couple votes to go. Anybody heard from jal90 recently?

Godoggo 07-07-13 03:31 PM

I looked at his/her profile and their last post was in June, but he/she logged in the second of this month. :shrug: My bet is that you probably aren't getting his/her votes.

jiraffejustin 07-07-13 03:44 PM

If he/she doesn't vote, his/her nomination won't be in the next round regardless of placement. Currently it would be making in the next round. We still need votes from HitchFan and Skepsis, but they are still around so I'm not worried about it.

Pussy Galore 07-07-13 04:08 PM

For me Psycho is the best movie in there that I have seen. It's one of my favourites it's original, ground breaking and thrilling from begining to end

Godoggo 07-07-13 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 921446)
If he/she doesn't vote, his/her nomination won't be in the next round regardless of placement. Currently it would be making in the next round. We still need votes from HitchFan and Skepsis, but they are still around so I'm not worried about it.
Too bad. I had City Lights pretty high up.

I hope I'm a part of next round. I've been watching so many movies for tournaments and those sort of things. Now I'm all caught up and don't know what to do with myself. :D

Guaporense 07-07-13 04:21 PM

City Lights is one of the best movies ever made. It is one of the few that deserves to win.

rauldc14 07-07-13 04:58 PM

I'm in for the next time we do one of these things. I'll replace Jal.

Cobpyth 07-07-13 05:17 PM

City Lights should stay in. It's very high on my list and it really deserves to be the first movie on the Hall of Fame. You should just count the other members' votes, but with City Lights still in the competition.

Maybe send Jal90 a private message or something.

teeter_g 07-07-13 06:20 PM

I can't believe that American History X only got 3 votes on the poll..... :suspicious:

Guaporense 07-07-13 07:51 PM

The problem with these open polls is that people don't have to watch all the movies to vote before. American History X is fairly popular here but it is not remotely as popular as Psycho and The Big Lebowski.

Godoggo 07-19-13 12:33 AM

I've seen Jal90 posting in the 90's thread. Are the people who haven't sent their votes in still planning to? Three months is up, peeps.:D

jal90 07-21-13 06:55 PM

Sorry guys!

I had some very busy months at the time this tourney was set and completely forgot about it, then I was actually delaying this because I still had Farewell my concubine and Purple rose of Cairo to watch, now that I'm done with them it happens that I haven't watched The producers... well, whatever, how should I do? Vote here for my favorite and send my best-to-worst list to jiraffejustin?

God damn, I'm talking like a Woody Allen character.

jal90 07-21-13 08:34 PM

Reading the thread it seems you had a discussion on Miyazaki and I missed it, oh damn.

I am a huge fan of almost anything Ghibli related and Nausicäa is not the exception. This movie is actually one I'm specially fond of -not necessarily among my very favorites- and precisely because it was a little harder for me to end up loving it. Not for the reasons brought by donniedarko, because I was already fond of the style and motifs of Miyazaki, but due to the amount of interactions it became a little difficult to follow. And I did also find the main character to be cheesy and rather excessive/fake. However everything changed in rewatch.

Not only because it happened that my confusion on the storyline was due to whatever drug I was on when I watched it :P, but also on Nausicäa... as much as I agree with Guaporense's post in this thread about this character, her selfishness and sense of dignity, I ended up liking her through the exact contrary, and found her to be rather complex. Look at the scene of the invasion for example...

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Nausicäa actually kills two or three soldiers. She is not able to control her impulses and commits what in her eyes is plain and unjustifiable murder. We see her crying over this later.

She is extremely kind. But the movie is also about the efforts she has to go through to live with this philosophy when her environment is sending her constantly signals that the world is, simply, ****ed up. This is the main difference between this character and a Christ like figure. She is not completely innocent, and in the end, she's still human with weak moments, and is aware of them.

This is not the only reason why I love this work, though. Another very important one is that it is a movie of scenes. And this is also a shared characteristic with other Ghiblies, but specially noticeable in this one. You might find, for example, that Nausicäa is not a type of character you are into, and still find her smile when she takes her mask off in the forest strangely trustworthy and admirable, or the moment she drowns her foot in the acid lake heart-rending and painful. Many scenes are given a very specific aura of emotional intensity that make them work alone, very well.

I can certainly understand donniedarko's comments. The fact is Miyazaki has a very idealistic philosophy in his overall work; if you don't connect with it you'll be likely to find it stupid, but I think he makes the movies himself as a way to react against the real world; they are fables, which are actually written with the child audience in mind (he states that he makes movies for kids), dealing about idealized situations where these utopias of peace and mutual respect can happen.

teeter_g 07-21-13 10:31 PM

How are we as far as finishing the round?

Godoggo 07-21-13 11:39 PM

@Jal90 Yeah, just send your list to Jirrafe. I'm not sure if he ever got the other lists he needed.

jiraffejustin 07-21-13 11:50 PM

I've already contacted the other two who I still need votes for, and they seem confident they'll be able to vote in a timely fashion.

Guaporense 07-22-13 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by jal90 (Post 927500)
Not for the reasons brought by donniedarko, because I was already fond of the style and motifs of Miyazaki, but due to the amount of interactions it became a little difficult to follow. And I did also find the main character to be cheesy and rather excessive/fake. However everything changed in rewatch.
Indeed. One must be able to take seriously rather absurd scenes. Like a 18 year old angry girl killing a dozen well armored soldiers in a few seconds and played strictly seriously (not in a comedic way like in Kick Ass, for instance but more like in a film such as Platoon).

Not only because it happened that my confusion on the storyline was due to whatever drug I was on when I watched it :P, but also on Nausicäa... as much as I agree with Guaporense's post in this thread about this character, her selfishness and sense of dignity, I ended up liking her through the exact contrary, and found her to be rather complex. Look at the scene of the invasion for example...

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Nausicäa actually kills two or three soldiers. She is not able to control her impulses and commits what in her eyes is plain and unjustifiable murder. We see her crying over this later.

She is extremely kind. But the movie is also about the efforts she has to go through to live with this philosophy when her environment is sending her constantly signals that the world is, simply, ****ed up. This is the main difference between this character and a Christ like figure. She is not completely innocent, and in the end, she's still human with weak moments, and is aware of them.
Nausicaa is a very complex character indeed, in fact among the most original and complex characters in the history of screen fiction. Also, she ignores the contradiction between preserving humanity's existence and the spread of the forest of corruption when she talks with Asbel about this at the middle of the movie. In the manga she becomes a much darker and even more complex character than in the movie:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1048/123rcm.jpg

Miyazaki didn't care about the target audience for his manga since it wasn't made for profit so he didn't control the amount of brutality and didn't care about making it family friendly.

This is not the only reason why I love this work, though. Another very important one is that it is a movie of scenes. And this is also a shared characteristic with other Ghiblies, but specially noticeable in this one. You might find, for example, that Nausicäa is not a type of character you are into, and still find her smile when she takes her mask off in the forest strangely trustworthy and admirable, or the moment she drowns her foot in the acid lake heart-rending and painful. Many scenes are given a very specific aura of emotional intensity that make them work alone, very well.

I can certainly understand donniedarko's comments. The fact is Miyazaki has a very idealistic philosophy in his overall work; if you don't connect with it you'll be likely to find it stupid, but I think he makes the movies himself as a way to react against the real world; they are fables, which are actually written with the child audience in mind (he states that he makes movies for kids), dealing about idealized situations where these utopias of peace and mutual respect can happen.
Well, not exactly all his movies are idealized, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and the Nausicaa manga (clearly from the page above, it's much darker than anything he did, bordering on horror) are much less idealized than his other movies. His most idealized film would be Kiki's Delivery Service, where everybody is nice and happy. And also, real people are not as evil or d*cks as people in Scorsese's or Tarantino's films are as well, so these movies are also idealizations of some sort.

Also, I would add that Nausicaa the film wasn't made for small children, considering that a memo of the studio that I read about Castle in the Sky said that Castle in the Sky was made for a younger audience than Nausicaa and it also said that Castle in the Sky was made for 10-12 years olds. So the target audience for Nausicaa was older than that.

Also, in Japan people under 20 are considered children. So Cobbyth, Donnie Darko, Daniel M., etc, are all children anyway :).

Deadite 07-22-13 12:19 AM

Psycho is a true classic.

MovieFan31 07-25-13 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 927600)
Psycho is a true classic.
Absolutely - I picked this one, being that's its classically superior from my other choice: American History X.