Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Best (and Worst) Movies of 2005! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=11468)

Everett 12-28-05 07:21 PM

The Best (and Worst) Movies of 2005!

Choose your top 10 BEST and WORST movies of the YEAR!

And you can also make honorable mentions!

-

I have seen 40 movies this year.
Some I'm glad I've seen, and some I wish I haven't.

Either way, I saw them, and I have come to tell the list of my best and worst movies of the year, and you can do the same
(Yes thats right, I have nothing to do, so I'm going to type all of this, hopefully someone reads all of it and enjoys it ;) )

There's some movies I wish I got to see but I never got to
For instance, I didn't see 'Just Friends", "Shopgirl", "Weather Man", "Chumbscrubber" "Thumbsucker", "Walk the Line", and "The Family Stone" (I may get to see the last one this week, but not totally sure)

So up next, the worst movies I've seen, and the Best is right after
(and the reasons they're so bad and SO good)

THE TOP 10 WORST
10: Elektra
I was hoping it would be good as DareDevil, but it wasn't, so its my number 10 pick.
Jennifer Garner is hot, and she saved the movie from being complete total crap. But hotness can never save a movie that doesn't have enough things to do.
The effects were decent, and some of it interesting, but it was missing a lot of things. First off, spirit, and freedom. The movie really never lifted off the ground.
And lets just say it
They killed the villains off too quick
and that was another problem
It's just not that enjoyable of a movie.
Although Jennifer Garner is still pretty...

9: Sahara
Now, this wasn't neccessarily a terrible film. But...it was just way too long.
It felt boring at times.
Sure, it had some decent action sequences, but that didn't pay off for the rest of the film, which either had annoying Steve Zahn talking nonsense, or Matthew McCoughney talking nonsense with a dumb accent...or both of them doing it at the same time.

8: Robots
Disappointing. Sure, there were some funny parts, but they were few and far between.
That's about all I have to say.
The only last thing I'll say is that Robin Williams is becoming involved in crap pictures, just look at his next one, "RV"

7: Chicken Little
Don't get me wrong.
I love computer-animated movies (The Incredibles, Monsters Inc..)
I also love Zach Braff.
But this was a swing and a miss.
Sure it did a good job at the box office
but that doesn't neccessarily mean its a good movie (case in point: Cat in the Hat, XXX)
It had few funny moments, but a lot of moments (a LOT) were cringe-inducing.
Sorry, but Disney TRULY does need Pixar

6: The FOG
It had a small amount of scare moments (like the sink scene, yes thats right, I jumped), and it also had good effects.
But it was just STUPID.
Honestly.
And the ending just stuck another nail into the coffin.
It was pretty much crappy.
Run away, or the CRAP will get you!

5: Cursed
Terrible.
I will never forget the sight of a werewolf flipping me off..

4: Boogeyman
Dreadful.
I shut this crap off.

3: Land of the Dead
Even worse.
I couldn't help but notice all these top 5 are so far horror movies.
Sorry, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

2: Doom
Ugh.

and number ONE is...
Highlight to see

1: Kingdom of Heaven
Want to know why?

SPOILERS! (Although I truly don't recommend for you to see it anyway but...) They spend 2 hours and a half fighting for what they want and then Orlando Bloom just gives it up!
WHAT KIND OF CRAPPY MOVIE IS THAT???
HONESTLY! Can a movie be anymore of a waste of time??
And don't even get me started on the 2 wimpy battle sequences...

-------------

THE MIDDLE
Neither good, nor bad.
Just...average

Madagascar
Herbie

A BIT BETTER
Dukes of Hazzard
Fantastic Four

A BIT BETTER THAN A BIT BETTER
Sky High
The Longest Yard
Star Wars Episode III

-------------------------
Now that we're done with the middle, it's time for...

THE TOP 10 BEST MOVIES OF THE YEAR

10: Flightplan
Totally riveting. Very exciting.
I don't know why some people didn't like this. I found it to be very fun and thrilling.
And Jodie Foster kicks ass!

9: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
I love Johnny Depp's performance. It is quirky, and I love quirky.
I love how everything was done.
I plain out love this movie.

8: Constantine
Wow.
Awesome movie.
Good performances. Great story.
Constantine is seriously the definition of cool.
How cool would it be to fight demons?
Watch this, and see....

7: Serenity
Truly overlooked.
I just rented this and saw it last night.
It's amazing how much you care what happens to the characters.
You care for the whole crew of Serenity (except for that one jerk.....actually, I kind of care for him too, but not as much as the others)
And the action is pretty darn swell.
And the humor is there, and it is hilarious.
And Nathan Fillion is cool.
Right up there with John Constantine.

6: Mr and Mrs Smith
And this, my friends, is what you call a very fun action romantic dark comedy.
It is hilarious, but it is action-packed, and it is also romantic, but it is quite dark when you think about it.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie honestly have amazing chemistry (hm, I wonder why) and they handle the humor and action and romance really well.
One of the most fun movies you can watch. EVER.

5: In Good Company
Did this come out very late last year, or this year?
Ah who gives a crap, I saw it this year when it expanded in January.
I love this movie.
It is smart, funny, romantic, dramatic, and moving.
The soundtrack is amazing, its where I figured out one of my favorite bands Iron and Wine (yes thats right, I saw Garden State AFTER this).
It is a very good movie.
Topher Grace actually plays a different character from 70s show, you care for Dennis Quaid, and you fall in love with the cuteness and beauty and talent that is Scarlett Johannsson.

4: War of the Worlds
Tom Cruise. Kicks. Ass.
But only in movies (hes pretty dumb outside of them)
This has truly shocking and blinding special effects, and it has incredible dramatic scenes.
It is a VERY good movie.

but not as good as...

3: Batman BEGINS
Love it.
Love love love love it.
A great performance by Christian Bale, as he makes Batman super cool, and you actually don't mind AT ALL when hes on screen (as usually, in the old batman movies, I liked the villains more, and Batman was boring)
But that doesn't mean the villains still don't kick ass
CILLIAN MURPHY is a great discovery.
He is genuinely creepy and cool and chilling as Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow.
Other great performances include Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Tom Wilkinson and...umm, I could've done without Katie Holmes, I bet Rachel Weisz could've been better.
And this movie has a great and interesting story.
Oh YEAH! And there's action too!
And Cillian Murphy is wonderful!
By the way....what other movie did he star in this year?

2: RED EYE
I love it.
Sure, maybe a lot of people didn't like it as much as they loved Batman but oh well.
Maybe I got my listing wrong, but this movie is so cool.

First off, I am in love with Rachel McAdams.
She is so gorgeous and pretty and beautiful, and likeable and wonderful and glorious and talented.
Cillian Murphy is chilling, content, cool, insane, crazy, amazing, thrilling and awesome!
The two are now paired together to make an awesome thrilling movie.
It's short, but it is still effective.
And I didn't mind the third act, as some do, as I think it's very suspenseful and fun and thrilling.

Red Eye
IS
AWESOME!

And number 1 is....

1: KING KONG
Kong is King.
Naomi Watts is truly beauty.
Adrien Brody is pretty cool.
Jack Black is fine in this, I don't see why people pick on him. It wouldn't be a movie without him.
But who is better and more moving than all these people?

Kong.

Yes thats right.
You care for him.
You feel bad for him
You laugh with him.
And you almost cry for him.

And the special effects are so out of this world and breathtaking and shocking and awesome, that you truly HAVE to see this movie on a big screen.

It is a beautiful movie.

Please see it.

It is my favorite movie, of the YEAR!!!!!

-

Honorable Mentions:
FUN WITH DICK AND JANE
Zathura
Hostage
Kicking and Screaming
Corpse Bride
Wallace and Gromit
Fever Pitch
Sin City
Hide and Seek
&
Guess Who

-

I'll update later with why these are my honorable mentions, but for now..
I'm tired of typing

Have a Nice Day everyone!

:)

Mega Doomer 12-28-05 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Everett
Ugh.
i actually like that movie... (maybe because its in my name...)

but i thought they did an ok job at making a movie based on the video game...

but anyways...

i dont think i watched 20 movies this year to make a top 10 worst or best so i'll just make a top 5 of the ones i liked

5. Batman Begins- good movie it did the batman franchise justice.

4. Serenity- this movie made me want to watch the show.

3. Sin City- finally a movie all comic book fans wanted: a movie that actually followed the comic (spiderman & Batman im looking at you *shakes fist*)

2. The 40 Year old Virgin- Perfect movie for a date. has comedy and a good love story with it.

1. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith- i really like sci fi films and i was so hyped up for this movie and it didnt dissapoint me...

well those are my choices... i think i would be shot for my choices if i was some big reviewer or something...

Sleezy 12-28-05 11:07 PM

I'm really sick, so I don't feel like making a list. Here are a few:

Some of the best:

Batman Begins
King Kong
War of the Worlds
The 40-Year Old Virgin
The Interpreter
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Some of the worst:

Fantastic Four
Robots
Doom
The Bad News Bears
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
xXx: State of the Union

Strummer521 12-28-05 11:58 PM

Worst: Cursed just so f***ing bad. :bawling:

Best: Crash If you haven't seen it, I'm not going to bother telling you about it, just do so. Now!!

-Danny 12-29-05 02:45 AM

The best film of the year is The Devil's Rejects.

Due to the acting, cinematography, score, dialogue, suspense, and a beautifully done ending. It's a film that all must see. The only bad thing about this is that it was considered a horror. When clearly it was not horrifying.

Holden Pike 12-29-05 02:55 AM

Still too many 2005 movies to see, including The New World, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Caché, The White Countess, Munich, Transamerica and Match Point. I'll make my list in February sometime. As always.

OG- 12-29-05 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Still too many 2005 movies to see, including The New World, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Caché, The White Countess, Munich, Transamerica and Match Point. I'll make my list in February sometime. As always.

Three Burials
was incredibly dissapointing, but I too am still waiting on everything still on this list; save for Munich which was astounding.

Though I can already say a top my worst list lives Thumbsucker. Oh how I hate that movie.

And if there were a list for most dissapointing, it would contain Kim Ki-Duk's The Bow. Finally going to catch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance tonight, Park better not break my heart the same way. Oh, as well as The Duelist and Welcome to Dongmakgol, two films I have very high hopes for.

Thursday Next 12-29-05 04:11 PM

I have mostly seen old movies on dvd rather than new releases this year but from what 2005 films I have seen...

Worst:

4. Star Wars Episode III - a clunking disappointment. Flashing lights, too much cgi and childish attempts at portentous tragedy that fell flat.

3. Kingdom of Heaven - dull, rubbish characters, cringeworthy inspiring speeches...

2. In Good Company - a totally pointless film.

1. Closer - absolute drivel. Four horrible people alternately argue with each other about who has slept with who else. [EDIT: Holden has either kindly or pedantically pointed out that Closer is a 2004 film, although I definitely saw this in the cinema in 2005. It still sucks, either way.]

Best:

4. Wedding Crashers - Much funnier than I thought there was any possibility of it being.

3. Serenity - a hell of a lot better than Episode III. Action, horror and comedy without any silly aliens, and dialogue 100 times sharper than George Lucas'

2. King Kong- just great. A well rounded blockbuster that impresses with more than just cgi (again, take note, Mr. Lucas)

1. Sin City - Totally unlike any other film. Sadistic, sometimes dumb, but visually astounding and unfailingly impressive.

Focker 12-29-05 09:15 PM

1) Batman Begins
2) Wedding Crashers
3) 40 Year Old Virgin
4) The Island

I don't remember much else from this year. Crappy year.

The Silver Bullet 12-29-05 10:56 PM

[Originally posted on my blog .]

[. . .]

Just for the sake of this post, I've revised my submission to the annual Senses of Cinema World Poll, in which I seperated 2005 releases from 2004 releases, by disregarding official release dates and focusing instead, like Darren, on the 'new' films I've seen since the beginning of 2005. It's for this reason that most of my favourites are actually films from 2004; I just happened to see them in cinemas—mostly at BIFF—this year. Needless to say, there's still much to see; it's for this reason that most of next year's favourites will probably be films from 2005! And I wonder why I'm never happy with these things when I write them...

The lists are in alphabetical order.

Best 'New' Films Seen in 2005

13 Lakes (d. James Benning, 2004)
The Big Red One: The Reconstruction (d. Samuel Fuller, 2004)
I Am a Sex Addict (d. Caveh Zahedi, 2005)
I ♥ Huckabees (d. David O. Russell, 2004)
Million Dollar Baby (d. Clint Eastwood, 2004)
Serenity (d. Joss Whedon, 2005)
The Wayward Cloud (d. Tsai Ming-liang, 2005)
Woman is the Future of Man (d. Hong Sang-soo, 2004)
Yes (d. Sally Potter, 2004)

Honourable Mentions

2046 (d. Wong Kar-wai, 2004)
Melinda and Melinda (d. Woody Allen, 2005)
The Proposition (d. John Hillcoat, 2005)

Best Older Films Seen for the First Time in 2005

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (d. Sam Peckinpah, 1974)
The Falls (d. Peter Greenaway, 1980)
Faust (d. Jan Švankmajer, 1994)
Jour de fête (d. Jacques Tati, 1948)
Love Streams (d. John Cassavetes, 1984)
Masculin-féminin (d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1966)
Motion Painting No. 1 (d. Oskar Fischinger, 1947)
Metropolis (d. Fritz Lang, 1927)
Shoah (d. Claude Lanzmann, 1985)
Tout van bien (d. Jean-Luc Godard & Jean-Pierre Gorin, 1972)

And films by Abel Ferrara (Ms .45 [1981], King of New York [1990], Snake Eyes [1993], Body Snatchers [1993], The Addiction [1994], 'R Xmas [2000]), Alfred Hitchcock (The 39 Steps [1935], Rebecca [1940], Foreign Correspondent [1940], Shadow of a Doubt [1943], Stage Fright [1950], The Man Who Knew Too Much [1956], The Birds [1963]), Owen Land (On the Marriage Broker Joke as Cited by Sigmund Freud in Wit and its Relation to the Unconscious or Can the Avant-Garde Artist Be Wholed? [1977-79], Wide Angle Saxon [1975]), Joseph L. Mankiewicz (All About Eve [1950], Sleuth [1972]), Henri-Georges Clouzot (Wages of Fear [1953], Les Diaboliques [1955]), and so on.

Television, Web, Etc.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (series) (created by Joss Whedon, 1997 -- 2003) (particularly the episodes 'Hush', 'The Body' and 'Once More, With Feeling', all by Whedon)
Chasing Windmills (videoblog) (d. Cristina Cordova and Juan Antonio del Rosario, 2005 -- present)
John Safran vs. God (miniseries) (w. John Safran & Mark O'Toole, 2005)

Criticism, Writing, Etc.

'The 400 Blow Jobs' by Helen Bandis, Adrian Martin and Grant McDonald
Abel Ferrara: The Moral Vision by Brad Stevens
Digital Poetics (blog) by Nicholas Rombes
Elusive Lucidity (blog) by Zach Campbell
Hitchcock at Work by Bill Krohn
A Long Hard Look at 'Psycho' by Raymond Durgnat
Phantasms by Adrian Martin
Theory of Film Practice by Noël Burch
And almost anything by Nicole Brenez or Adrian Martin.

The Silver Bullet 12-29-05 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Focker
Crappy year.
There's no such thing as a crappy year. You're just looking in the wrong places.

The Days of the Phoenix 12-30-05 08:52 AM

What a year

I dont know how many films I've seen but i was really disapointed with
Wallace and Gromit - The Curse of the Ware Rabbit
I thought it was crap! Wallace and Gromit has a reputation of being quite good - well over in the UK it does - but this film was a let down
there were too many new characters and the story line was kinda lame.

BUT...there have been some AWESOME films out this year...espasally from july onwards. I couldnt put them in order but my top 10 films of the year have to be...

1. Team America - January
2. Mr & Mrs Smith - June
3. War of the Worlds - July
4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - July
5. Fantastic Four - July
6. King Kong - December
7. Batman Begins - July
8. The Island - August
9. Chronicles of Narnia - December
10. FlghtPlan - November

It looks like we're gonna see some Awesome films in 2006

-Jarhead
-Final Destination 3
-Spiderman 3
-X men 3
-Pirates of the Caribeen
- Da Vinci Code

Those are only some of the kick ass films that we're gonna see!
Any more you can think of?

And on that note i will leave you! :)

And you can also make honorable mentions!

-

I have seen 40 movies this year.
Some I'm glad I've seen, and some I wish I haven't.

Either way, I saw them, and I have come to tell the list of my best and worst movies of the year, and you can do the same
(Yes thats right, I have nothing to do, so I'm going to type all of this, hopefully someone reads all of it and enjoys it ;) )

There's some movies I wish I got to see but I never got to
For instance, I didn't see 'Just Friends", "Shopgirl", "Weather Man", "Chumbscrubber" "Thumbsucker", "Walk the Line", and "The Family Stone" (I may get to see the last one this week, but not totally sure)

So up next, the worst movies I've seen, and the Best is right after
(and the reasons they're so bad and SO good)

THE TOP 10 WORST
10: Elektra
I was hoping it would be good as DareDevil, but it wasn't, so its my number 10 pick.
Jennifer Garner is hot, and she saved the movie from being complete total crap. But hotness can never save a movie that doesn't have enough things to do.
The effects were decent, and some of it interesting, but it was missing a lot of things. First off, spirit, and freedom. The movie really never lifted off the ground.
And lets just say it
They killed the villains off too quick
and that was another problem
It's just not that enjoyable of a movie.
Although Jennifer Garner is still pretty...

9: Sahara
Now, this wasn't neccessarily a terrible film. But...it was just way too long.
It felt boring at times.
Sure, it had some decent action sequences, but that didn't pay off for the rest of the film, which either had annoying Steve Zahn talking nonsense, or Matthew McCoughney talking nonsense with a dumb accent...or both of them doing it at the same time.

8: Robots
Disappointing. Sure, there were some funny parts, but they were few and far between.
That's about all I have to say.
The only last thing I'll say is that Robin Williams is becoming involved in crap pictures, just look at his next one, "RV"

7: Chicken Little
Don't get me wrong.
I love computer-animated movies (The Incredibles, Monsters Inc..)
I also love Zach Braff.
But this was a swing and a miss.
Sure it did a good job at the box office
but that doesn't neccessarily mean its a good movie (case in point: Cat in the Hat, XXX)
It had few funny moments, but a lot of moments (a LOT) were cringe-inducing.
Sorry, but Disney TRULY does need Pixar

6: The FOG
It had a small amount of scare moments (like the sink scene, yes thats right, I jumped), and it also had good effects.
But it was just STUPID.
Honestly.
And the ending just stuck another nail into the coffin.
It was pretty much crappy.
Run away, or the CRAP will get you!

5: Cursed
Terrible.
I will never forget the sight of a werewolf flipping me off..

4: Boogeyman
Dreadful.
I shut this crap off.

3: Land of the Dead
Even worse.
I couldn't help but notice all these top 5 are so far horror movies.
Sorry, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Ugh.

and number ONE is...
Highlight to see

1: Kingdom of Heaven
Want to know why?

SPOILERS! (Although I truly don't recommend for you to see it anyway but...) They spend 2 hours and a half fighting for what they want and then Orlando Bloom just gives it up!
WHAT KIND OF CRAPPY MOVIE IS THAT???
HONESTLY! Can a movie be anymore of a waste of time??
And don't even get me started on the 2 wimpy battle sequences...

-------------

THE MIDDLE
Neither good, nor bad.
Just...average

Madagascar
Herbie

A BIT BETTER
Dukes of Hazzard
Fantastic Four

A BIT BETTER THAN A BIT BETTER
Sky High
The Longest Yard
Star Wars Episode III

-------------------------
Now that we're done with the middle, it's time for...

THE TOP 10 BEST MOVIES OF THE YEAR

10: Flightplan
Totally riveting. Very exciting.
I don't know why some people didn't like this. I found it to be very fun and thrilling.
And Jodie Foster kicks ass!

9: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
I love Johnny Depp's performance. It is quirky, and I love quirky.
I love how everything was done.
I plain out love this movie.

8: Constantine
Wow.
Awesome movie.
Good performances. Great story.
Constantine is seriously the definition of cool.
How cool would it be to fight demons?
Watch this, and see....

7: Serenity
Truly overlooked.
I just rented this and saw it last night.
It's amazing how much you care what happens to the characters.
You care for the whole crew of Serenity (except for that one jerk.....actually, I kind of care for him too, but not as much as the others)
And the action is pretty darn swell.
And the humor is there, and it is hilarious.
And Nathan Fillion is cool.
Right up there with John Constantine.

6: Mr and Mrs Smith
And this, my friends, is what you call a very fun action romantic dark comedy.
It is hilarious, but it is action-packed, and it is also romantic, but it is quite dark when you think about it.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie honestly have amazing chemistry (hm, I wonder why) and they handle the humor and action and romance really well.
One of the most fun movies you can watch. EVER.

5: In Good Company
Did this come out very late last year, or this year?
Ah who gives a crap, I saw it this year when it expanded in January.
I love this movie.
It is smart, funny, romantic, dramatic, and moving.
The soundtrack is amazing, its where I figured out one of my favorite bands Iron and Wine (yes thats right, I saw Garden State AFTER this).
It is a very good movie.
Topher Grace actually plays a different character from 70s show, you care for Dennis Quaid, and you fall in love with the cuteness and beauty and talent that is Scarlett Johannsson.

4: War of the Worlds
Tom Cruise. Kicks. Ass.
But only in movies (hes pretty dumb outside of them)
This has truly shocking and blinding special effects, and it has incredible dramatic scenes.
It is a VERY good movie.

but not as good as...

3: Batman BEGINS
Love it.
Love love love love it.
A great performance by Christian Bale, as he makes Batman super cool, and you actually don't mind AT ALL when hes on screen (as usually, in the old batman movies, I liked the villains more, and Batman was boring)
But that doesn't mean the villains still don't kick ass
CILLIAN MURPHY is a great discovery.
He is genuinely creepy and cool and chilling as Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow.
Other great performances include Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Tom Wilkinson and...umm, I could've done without Katie Holmes, I bet Rachel Weisz could've been better.
And this movie has a great and interesting story.
Oh YEAH! And there's action too!
And Cillian Murphy is wonderful!
By the way....what other movie did he star in this year?

2: RED EYE
I love it.
Sure, maybe a lot of people didn't like it as much as they loved Batman but oh well.
Maybe I got my listing wrong, but this movie is so cool.

First off, I am in love with Rachel McAdams.
She is so gorgeous and pretty and beautiful, and likeable and wonderful and glorious and talented.
Cillian Murphy is chilling, content, cool, insane, crazy, amazing, thrilling and awesome!
The two are now paired together to make an awesome thrilling movie.
It's short, but it is still effective.
And I didn't mind the third act, as some do, as I think it's very suspenseful and fun and thrilling.

Red Eye
IS
AWESOME!

And number 1 is....

1: KING KONG
Kong is King.
Naomi Watts is truly beauty.
Adrien Brody is pretty cool.
Jack Black is fine in this, I don't see why people pick on him. It wouldn't be a movie without him.
But who is better and more moving than all these people?

Kong.

Yes thats right.
You care for him.
You feel bad for him
You laugh with him.
And you almost cry for him.

And the special effects are so out of this world and breathtaking and shocking and awesome, that you truly HAVE to see this movie on a big screen.

It is a beautiful movie.

Please see it.

It is my favorite movie, of the YEAR!!!!!

-

Honorable Mentions:
FUN WITH DICK AND JANE
Zathura
Hostage
Kicking and Screaming
Corpse Bride
Wallace and Gromit
Fever Pitch
Sin City
Hide and Seek
&
Guess Who

-

I'll update later with why these are my honorable mentions, but for now..
I'm tired of typing

Have a Nice Day everyone!

:)

Sedai 12-30-05 11:49 AM

Best I watched this year, that I had not previously seen:

Batman Begins (Nolan, 2005)
Blade Runner : European Theatrical Cut (Scott, 1982)
Memories of Murder (Bong, 2003)
Serenity (Whedon, 2005)
Sin City (Rodriguez, 2005)
In the Mood for Love (Wong, 2000)
Rashomon (Kurosawa, 1950)
Obre Los Ojos (Amenabar, 1997)
Short Cuts(Altman, 1993)
Magnolia
(Anderson, 1999)

(Yes Holden, I liked Short Cuts better... ;))

Worst

By far, it has to be High Tension. Simply awful, with almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Honorable Mention goes to Terry Gilliam's The Brothers Grimm, a film that had some warts, but I still enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by -Danny
The best film of the year is The Devil's Rejects.

Due to the acting, cinematography, score, dialogue, suspense, and a beautifully done ending. It's a film that all must see. The only bad thing about this is that it was considered a horror. When clearly it was not horrifying.
Ah, a comedian. Welcome to MoFo.

(I am REALLY hoping this post is a joke....)

Pyro Tramp 12-30-05 04:47 PM

Best to Worst

Batman Begins
Sin City
Serenity
A History of Violence
Wedding Crashers
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Team America
The Descent
Kung Fu Hustle
40 Year Old Virgin
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
King Kong
A Very Long Engagement
League of Gentleman's Apocalypse
Sky High
Mr and Mrs Smith
Closer
Ong-Bak
The Life Aquatic
The Aviator
House of Wax
Unleashed
xXx 2
Crash
War of the Worlds
Fantastic Four
Assault on Precinct 13
Red Eye
Harold and Kumar Get The Munchies
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Casshern
Wolf Creek
Land of the Dead
Sahara
Elektra
Seed of Chucky
Constantine
The Pacifier
Amityville Horror
Be Cool
Star Wars Episode 3
Undead
Ocean's 12
Blade Trinity

Yet to see

3-Iron
Broken Flowers
The Constant Gardener
Downfall
Howl's Moving Castle
Revolver
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Night Watch
Ghost in the Shell 2
Doom
Domino
Lord of War
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Everett 12-30-05 04:51 PM

So it looks like some people have seen movies of 2004 and are posting them this year as some of their favorites

Well I already know films have different release dates across the globe

But when I think about it, I saw my honestly favorite movie ever this year, and it came out last year

And that film, is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
and I also saw Garden State so...

Best film(s) I saw this year that came out last year
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State

Just thought I should make a special mention.

Everett 12-30-05 05:03 PM

My Honorable Mentions (updated):

FUN WITH DICK AND JANE
Sure, it wasn't the best Jim Carrey movie, but it was still pretty damn funny. And Jim Carrey made me laugh out loud a few times in this movie, and that, my friends, is a hell of a trick.

Zathura
Why didn't people see this? It was a GOOD movie. It had good characters, awesome action and it was, most of all, FUN!
It's what you go to the movies for!

Hostage
This one suprised me. I got it on DVD, and it was like a more action-packed Panic Room.
And I wondered how such a thrilling movie came out, and no one went to see it.

Kicking and Screaming
Funny. Not as good as Anchorman or Elf. But still definitely worth watching. Pretty darn funny.

Corpse Bride
Hm, did this one do good at the box office? I dunno, but it was still a very good movie. The ending moved me somehow.
I liked it.

Wallace and Gromit
A little weird, but entertaining. Worth seeing.

Fever Pitch
This is another good movie. Jimmy Fallon gave such a good performance that it totally redeems him from 'Taxi'. And Drew Barrymore is adorable.

Sin City
Woah. How did they do that??

Hide and Seek
Some people didn't like it. But if I remember correctly, the climax had my heart pumping, and I jumped quite a few times too. It wasn't as scary in the second viewing, but its still worth watching at least once.

&

Guess Who
Yes, thats right. I had fun watching this movie. Maybe because I was comfortable in bed while snacking, but I thought it was entertaining and just fun.

Iroquois 12-31-05 01:21 AM

Pfft, I rarely watch new movies. I'm going with a "best" and "worst"

BEST: Sin City. Definitely a breath of fresh air - action-packed film noir.

WORST: hmm, can't really think of anything I saw that was incredibly bad, just not good enough. Whatever it was, it must've been so bad I mentally scratched out the memory of watching it.

Thursday Next 12-31-05 05:22 AM

Here are the best films of the year according to Film 2005 website:

Welcome to the Film 2005 Films of the Year, a canter through twelve months at the movies, complete with the results of our viewers poll which names and acclaims the nation's Top 10.

Here's the 10 Films of the Year for 2005.

10. Hanging by a thread it's Team America.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone took on the American left, the American right and the limits of good taste and Ben Britton found it 'stupid, clever, beautiful and disgusting, all at the same time.' It all left Norman Green, from Middlesborough, with the poetic, if somewhat confusing, 'feeling of being lost in a toy box'.

9. Stumbling in the door is Sideways.
Alexander Payne's oenophilic comedy had you breaking out the drinking metaphors. Dominic do Souza claims that, 'like the best vintage, it will only improve over the years,' while Dan McCarthy of Basingstoke tells us that 'it's so good, it managed to turn me from a teetotaller into a fully fledged wino.'

8. Invading the chart is War of the Worlds.
Spielberg reunites with aliens, and for Shane Daly the result is 'the ultimate popcorn movie.' Ian Horn adds that 'the effects are outstanding', and says that he 'didn't mind it being moved from the Home Counties to America', and coming from someone who lives in Wivenhoe, that's high praise indeed.

7. Parked at number seven, Wallace and Gromit.
The cheese-eating plasticine heroes hit the big screen and Shirley Toogood welcomed it as 'a visual joy with masses of memorable moments; perfect entertainment for all ages'.
Though Jim Toogood, who appears to live at the same address, says that it got his vote because 'my son worked on it'. Get your stories straight Toogood family! Either way, Tom Lownie seems to hit the public mood when he says, 'Give Nick Park a knighthood now'.

6. Casting a spell at number six... Harry Potter.
'Mike Newell has done JK Rowling's bestseller absolute justice' says Jamie McGilchrist of Dundee, who also praises its 'humourous and thoughtful script' and 'tremendous effects,' while many of you agreed with Zulfikal Malik from Bradford, who hails it as 'the best Potter film so far, filled with dark enchantment'.

5. Hurtling in at number five is Crash.
Paul Haggis' ensemble drama about racism in LA was the film of the year for Rod Lay, who calls it 'intelligent, thought provoking and visually stylish,' with 'fantastic and sometimes unexpected performances from the whole cast'. The serious tone also impressed Louise Robinson from Aldershot, who considers it 'an understated masterpiece about the cruel world we live in'.

4. Breathing its last gasp at number four, Star Wars.
'A film that completed an epic cinematic journey for me and similar millions of my generation' says Brendan Anderson of George Lucas' final foray into the galaxy far, far away. Happily, for Ben Warnock, it's also 'the most entertaining of the prequel films', with 'non-stop sabre-slashing action'.

3. It's all black and white at number three in Sin City.
Is it a comic book? Is it a movie? Well, yes to both... either way, Beth Newton says 'it's brutal and beautiful and disturbing, but you can't look away'. It's 'highly stylised, extremely violent, sexist and incredibly clichéd' says Karl Christmas, which doesn't sound like the most effusive praise in the world, but he adds that 'all of this comes together perfectly.'

2. Swooping in at number two is Batman Begins.
'It was well worth the eight year wait to see the new Batman film, and it proved to be better than the previous four put together', says Matthew Polmounter of Cornwall, hailing Christopher Nolan's 'gritty, intelligent film' for its 'great dialogue' and 'fast and furious action scenes'. Daniel Todd speaks for many of you in merely being thankful that it 'manages to banish from memory the neon nightmare of Batman and Robin'.

1. Perched on top of the heap we call 2005, Serenity.
It was far from the biggest hit of the year but the rabid fanbase which helped get Joss Whedon's cancelled sci-fi series onto the big screen has now handed it the biggest accolade in modern cinema: the title of Film 2005 Film of the Year. Rachel Formby calls it, 'A labour of love filled with strong, superbly written characters, humour, emotion and cool effects'. Juliet Richards in Stanstead claims it 'brilliantly blended comedy, action, drama, horror and romance', adding that 'the only negative point I can think of is that it wasn't out for long enough so I only got to see it five times on the big screen'. That's the sort of passion we like to see.

Pyro Tramp 12-31-05 04:37 PM

That 'normal people's' opinion approach did my head in when Film 2005 was aired.

Twain 01-01-06 11:10 AM

I agree with many of your picks with three notable exceptions...

Kingdom of Heaven as the worst of 05. It's true that it didn't have the typical happy ending with the good guys victorious over the baddies. But that's how the Crusades were. Jerusalem changed hands several times between the Christians and the Muslims. I liked the way Ridley Scott showed good and bad on both sides.

Kingdom of Heaven would probably make my top 20 for 05. :D

Flightplan and Constantine as two of the best... that's just a matter of personal taste. I somewhat enjoyed them but would place them in the middle of the pack.