Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58904)

Chypmunk 02-28-19 12:38 PM

A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Thought I might as well put this out there and see if there was any interest.....
  • Join in and drop out as you please
  • No set number of nominations
  • Nominate on the fly
  • Max song duration: 10 minutes
  • No individual matches - no random or (as in some cases) no host fixing the matches
  • Only one nomination per person per 'round'
  • Only those with songs nominated in any 'round' are eligible to vote; except the 'Final' where all those that have previously nominated a song in the month may vote should they wish

Every couple of days will be a new 'round' where any and all newly nominated songs are up against each other. As soon as voting starts for one 'round' nominations will be accepted for the next 'round'.

Players vote by ranking all the songs in that 'round' from 1 (their favourite) to n (their least favourite). Songs will be awarded points based on their positional ranking in each vote (number of points will depend on the number of songs contesting the 'round' - if 10 songs #1 song would get 10 points, #10 song would get 1 point).

The winning song from each 'round' (or songs in the case of a tie) goes through to the 'Final' at the end of the month.

Simples but if any relevant questions just ask.

Chypmunk 02-28-19 12:39 PM

Re: A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Now taking nominations for Round 1 (only 1 song per player), nominations will close 9am GMT on 2nd March.

Chypmunk 02-28-19 12:47 PM

My nom:
The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company

pahaK 02-28-19 01:09 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea. My nom for this round is:

New Light Choir - Queen of Winter

edarsenal 02-28-19 02:02 PM

paint me intrigued --

Clutch - Electric Worry

Chypmunk 02-28-19 03:06 PM

Phew, thanks for joining in guys, at least I'll not be on my own for Round 1 like I half-expected :up:

ahwell 02-28-19 06:59 PM

Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1

Siegfried: Forging Song from Act I

honeykid 03-01-19 10:26 AM

I'm in for this round. We'll see how it goes.

Catatonia - Road Rage

Chypmunk 03-01-19 11:10 AM

Nice to see you both for round 1, takes us to 5 songs now.
Play as few or as many rounds as you feel you'd like to hk :up:

Anyone else that wants to join still has until 9am GMT tomorrow morning to get their nom in.

Captain Spaulding 03-01-19 06:23 PM

Battle Beast - Black Ninja

Sedai 03-01-19 08:37 PM

I'm in!

Hanging Gardens - Unearth

Derek Vinyard 03-01-19 08:57 PM

My nom:
Journey - Wheel In The Sky

one of my all time fav song

jiraffejustin 03-02-19 01:06 AM

Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel

resopamenic 03-02-19 01:54 AM

number girl - omoide in my head

MijaFrost 03-02-19 03:15 AM

Shal Marshall - Splinters

John-Connor 03-02-19 03:50 AM

Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love

edarsenal 03-02-19 04:34 AM

What a d@mn fine deluge of noms before this starts -- VERY cool

Chypmunk 03-02-19 04:55 AM

Wowser, went to bed with 5 noms, woke up to 12 :eek:
Thanks to all for joining in, hopefully it proves an enjoyable experience.
I'll pop Round 1 up for voting in a few minutes which also means nominations for Round 2 will be open at that point too.

Chypmunk 03-02-19 05:06 AM

Chypmunk 03-02-19 05:13 AM

Now open for nominations to Round 2.

John-Connor 03-02-19 06:05 AM

1. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
  2. Shal Marshall - Splinters
  3. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
  4. number girl - omoide in my head
  5. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
  6. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
  7. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
  8. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
  9. Catatonia - Road Rage
  10. Clutch - Electric Worry
  11. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
  12. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1

Chypmunk 03-02-19 07:29 AM

1. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
2. Clutch - Electric Worry
3. Catatonia - Road Rage
4. Dillon Carmichael - Hell On An Angel
5. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
6. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
7. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
8. Shal Marshall - Splinters
9. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
10. New Light Choir - Queen Of Winter
11. Number Girl - Omoide In My Head
12. Siegfried - Forging Song From Act 1

My nom for Round 2:
Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

jiraffejustin 03-02-19 07:45 AM

2. number girl - omoide in my head
4. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
5. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
6. Journey - Wheel in the Sky
7. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
8. Catatonia - Road Rage
9. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
10. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
11. Clutch - Electric Worry
12. Shal Marshall - Splinters

- Maybe I was put off by the video, but even the music itself seemed to be something that wasn't nearly as cute as the people putting it out thought it was.

- I enjoyed this. I like the music more than the vocals and lyrics, but the overall package is bearable.

Clutch - Electric Worry
- Not feeling this. I guess musically it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard, but it's kinda obnoxious. Sorry to whoever nominated it.

- Hella dank, bruh.

Catatonia - Road Rage
- Not terrible, but also seems like the kind of thing you have to be into at the time.

- I am not sure exactly what's going on here, but I think I like it. Cool throwback metal song.

- This song had to follow Black Ninja, which isn't good a place for this song. This kills the energy created by Black Ninja, and now I'm just thinking about how I'd rather be listening to Black Ninja agaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnn. She's a blaaackkk ninjaaaaa. I don't think I thought about this song at all as I listened to it.

Journey - Wheel in the Sky
- I'm not a Journey fan, but this song is alright. Better than the average song, but not really deserving of its status in our culture. But, I mean, I guess that chorus is undeniably catchy, so that's always going to a soul-winner for the cult of Journey.

- My nom. I love this classic outlaw country hard-driving music. It hits all the outlaw country tropes you need for a badass song. You hit the bottle and drugs, you do some wild sh*t, and you make it hard on your mama and every other woman out there. You might go to prison. You include some references to Hell or the devil and how thats where you are headed or something like that. But you better have the music and the voice to convince me that you are really the bad sumbitch that said all those things. Dillon Carmichael gets it.

- I like listening to the Japanese language. That dude can play drums. Then sh*t gets wild. Whoa, I'm digging the f*ck out of this. I'm reminded a lil bit of Teenage Riot.

- Nah.

- yassss. Sam Cooke was a bad, bad dude.

jiraffejustin 03-02-19 07:51 AM

Round 2 nom

Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields

scaredy rabbits make good paper ghosts

John-Connor 03-02-19 09:17 AM

Round 2 nom:
*edited.. to a more suitable nom for this 'crowd'..
Foo Fighters - Everlong

Sedai 03-02-19 10:09 AM

Listing as I have time. That The Dead South video was pretty fun.

pahaK 03-02-19 11:40 AM

1. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
Late addition to my top-10 of 2018. What a marvelous mix of old occult rock and metal.

2. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
Very nice old school rock with great vocalist. Maybe I should put some Journey on my playlist.

3. Catatonia - Road Rage
Good alt rock from the 90s. I like the vocalist again (am I the only one who thinks she looks a bit like Franka Potente?).

4. number girl - omoide in my head
What's this, progressive pop punk or something? I kinda liked it more than I expected though.

5. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
What's with all the Finnish metal on this round? It's OK doom, nothing too unique but decent.

6. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
Kabanen always finds great vocalists but I vastly prefer Battle Beasts 3rd album over everything else they've done. This song is just too corny.

7. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
Not really my music but not too bad either. Great voice but it's maybe little too much about just that.

8. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
HoHo! I don't how this would work as a part of the whole opera but as an individual song it kinda lacks (funnily it works better without the video now that I listen it again).

9. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
Very standard country rock. Goes little overboard with guitar solos.

10. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
Kinda boring but still not too bad. I hate that finger snapping though.

11. Clutch - Electric Worry
Yeah, not my kind of southern rock. Hate the chorus and the intro with just guitar and vocals.

Not much into reggae and this isn't an exception. Maybe I should do some drugs to get this?

pahaK 03-02-19 12:08 PM

Round 2 nomination:

The Gathering - Strange Machines

honeykid 03-02-19 12:22 PM

Sorry, I don't really have the time to write a little something about each as I usually do.

1. Catatonia - Road Rage
2, Clutch - Electric Worry
4. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
5. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
6. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
7. number girl - omoide in my head
8. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
9. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
10.Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
11.The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
12.Shal Marshall - Splinters

Sedai 03-02-19 01:16 PM

RANKINGS

Catatonia - Road Rage

Clutch - Electric Worry

edarsenal 03-02-19 01:17 PM

I'll be putting in my list and reviews this evening with, hopefully, a nomination for Round two. Loving the lil write-ups on everything so far.

Sedai 03-02-19 01:24 PM

Round 2

Jinjer - Pisces

Derek Vinyard 03-02-19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1993478)
hellllll yeahhhhh!! love this song and great band

Derek Vinyard 03-02-19 02:53 PM

Clutch - Electric Worry
Catatonia - Road Rage

jiraffejustin 03-02-19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1993457)
Very standard country rock..
If this was actually true, I'd be so happy

pahaK 03-02-19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1993502)
If this was actually true, I'd be so happy
It's just an (un)educated guess. I even originally had (I guess) after that but as I know my fondness towards stuff in parenthesis I try to consciously remove some of them :D

MijaFrost 03-02-19 05:04 PM

Simply perfect. (You have to be into oldies to appreciate it though, certainly doesn't sound like new releases you'd find today.)

2. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter

Wow, thanks @pahaK for the introduction to this band! In this tune they sound like a fusion of The Cure and Muse with light metal.

3. Shal Marshall - Splinters

My nom. The first couple of times I heard this I was kind of like, "eh," but after a few listens it grew on me. Now it's one of my most-played tunes from the Caribbean.

4. Battle Beast - Black Ninja

Head-banger! (I have long hair so I can pull it off, lol)

5. Clutch - Electric Worry

This is good. Reminds me of the Black Keys.

6. Catatonia - Road Rage

Intriguing. I'll check out more of their stuff.

7. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company

This was different, in an interesting way.

The rest weren't to my taste...

8. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1

10. Journey - Wheel In The Sky

11. number girl - omoide in my head

12. Hanging Gardens - Unearth

Captain Spaulding 03-02-19 06:59 PM

(Super cheesy, but I love that aspect of it. Maybe because I've watched too many cheesy 80's ninja movies? The singer sounds so much like Dio when she belts the chorus. Was hoping to avoid ranking my own nom first, but it'd be disingenuous if I didn't since I like it the most of this bunch.)

2. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel
(I can always count on JJ to introduce me to some awesome new country artist.)

3. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be in Good Company
(YouTube is often recommending The Dead South to me since I listen to a lot of similar sounding music. Listened to some of their stuff before but nothing has really grabbed me. This song is good, but even though I'm into the folksy/bluegrass sound, there's something about the song that I still find unappealing. The finger-snapping, maybe? The whistling? Their faces? I don't know. I like the song fine but feel like I should love it considering my taste.)

4. Journey - Wheel in the Sky
(I used to scoff at Journey due to their inherent corniness, but Steve Perry's voice eventually turned me into a fan. Don't think there was a note he couldn't hit.)

5. Sam Cooke - Nothing Chan Change This Love
(Was just listening to Sam Cooke's Greatest Hits the other day. Whether you're a fan of soul or not, I don't know how anyone with ears could listen to his music and not feel something stir inside them. With that said, this is far from being one of my favorite Cooke songs, but it's still very, very good.)

6. Number Girl - Omoide in My Head
(That was fun. Great energy. Some surprisingly good musicianship as well.)

7. Clutch - Electric Worry
(I really like Clutch's "The Regulator" and a few of their other songs. Not as impressed with this one. Still like the singer's deep voice and how their music always sounds like it's been smeared in grease. Seems like good music to play in the garage while tampering beneath the hood of some hot rod.)

8. Shal Marshall - Splinter
(At first I mistook this as a commercial for Corona or a cruise vacation. Not at all the type of thing I'd normally listen to, but I can see it being a fun party song in the proper setting.)

9. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter
(Solid, but the unremarkable vocals stain the song for me a bit.)

10. Catatonia - Road Rage
(Grating.)

11. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
(Not a fan at all. No energy. Just seemed to drone on and on.)

12. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
(Good for a laugh, at least. My manly perception of blacksmithing has just been shattered.)

Captain Spaulding 03-02-19 07:09 PM

Round 2 nomination:

Meg Myers - Desire

edarsenal 03-02-19 07:34 PM

The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company I was actually introduced to this band on a previous Song Tournament and enjoy a number of their songs as well as a few "live" performances on youtube. It's catchy, it's fun and I love it.

Clutch - Electric Worry I had stumbled upon this tune some time ago and while I'm not a fan of Clutch, I really do enjoy this tune.

Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love ahh, Sammy, baby! How I DO love me some Cooke and this is a lesser known one, but still captures all that is beautiful in a Sam Cooke tune.

Journey - Wheel In The Sky There are very few Journey songs I like and the ones I do are their early material such as this. A lot of heart in this.

New Light Choir - Queen of Winter Being an Old School Metalhead, I really liked the musical aspect of this. Especially the opening that reminded of a lot of metal bands during the Eighties that followed the mystical/fantastical motifs. Then the singing started. It didn't gel with the music for me. He sounded like the singer from Billy Talent, a band I do enjoy, so it is not the voice itself, it just felt "off" for the music's landscape that had been established. Which WAS d@mn good.

Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel Since I am not a Country Song kind of guy I cannot say this atypical, but it does seem to hit all the right notes and feels of a solid country tune. Really like the groove of this.

Battle Beast - Black Ninja a definite throwback to the old school metal bands I grew up WITH a singer that is a cohabitation with the music and the whole spike-wristed persona. But a little TOO much like copying past bands without giving substance aka their own take on it. Solid, all the same.

Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1 Never did get to watch a full sitting of the opera Siegfried and got a kick out of this little segment.

number girl - omoide in my head a lively little number. Some very real potential going on here. Quite curious to see where this band goes in the future after a couple of albums of where they go musically.

Hanging Gardens - Unearth They seemed to be caught up on never leaving the slow drudging path, musically. Even the moments elevations are sort of anti-crescendo. I am a big fan of music with gravitas to it, but it seems to have pretense without the depth. Like an author writing about something bleak without ever really experiencing such.

Shal Marshall - Splinters a very fun dance party tune. Definitely. But if you're not at a Caribbean party, it only makes you wish you were instead of listening to one.

Catatonia - Road Rage sadly, did not really hold my attention nor did I enjoy the "pop" groove of this. Sorry.

And, for Round 2
EDIT -- change of songs --

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Derek Vinyard 03-02-19 07:50 PM

Round 2
System Of A Down - Aerials

edarsenal 03-02-19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1993523)
(Super cheesy, but I love that aspect of it. Maybe because I've watched too many cheesy 80's ninja movies? The singer sounds so much like Dio when she belts the chorus. Was hoping to avoid ranking my own nom first, but it'd be disingenuous if I didn't since I like it the most of this bunch.)
I was thinking Rob Halford when she was hitting those high notes. Which ain't easy.

MijaFrost 03-02-19 08:38 PM

Round 2:

The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

(I don't know what's up with the intro, but the song doesn't start til just over a minute in.)

ahwell 03-02-19 09:43 PM

1. Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1
My own nomination, I regret the performance I posted... the costumes are a bit laughable and I should have done something non-programmatic perhaps. But I still love this piece, it is really energetic and is Siegfried's symbolic reforging of his parent's former glory, no matter how incestuous or adulterous it may have been.

2. Journey - Wheel In The Sky

3. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love

4. Clutch - Electric Worry

5. Hanging Gardens - Unearth

6. New Light Choir - Queen of Winter

7. Shal Marshall - Splinters

8. Catatonia - Road Rage

9. number girl - omoide in my head

10. Battle Beast - Black Ninja

11. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company

12. Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel

ahwell 03-02-19 09:47 PM

Round 2 Nomination:

Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie

John-Connor 03-03-19 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1993527)
And, for Round 2
EDIT -- change of songs --
Too bad, Iron Maiden was a great nom, use to be fascinated by their albums cover art when I was a kid..

resopamenic 03-03-19 05:03 AM

1. Number Girl - Omoide In My Head
2. New Light Choir - Queen Of Winter
3. Battle Beast - Black Ninja
4. Siegfried - Forging Song From Act 1
5. Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love
6. Hanging Gardens - Unearth
7. Journey - Wheel In The Sky
8. Catatonia - Road Rage
9. Clutch - Electric Worry
10. Dillon Carmichael - Hell On An Angel
11. The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company

The nom for Round 2:
Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite

Chypmunk 03-03-19 05:20 AM

Ok, that's everyone voted in Round 1 and the results are as follows.......

1st - Sam Cooke - Nothing Can Change This Love (103 pts)

2nd - Battle Beast - Black Ninja (99 pts)
3rd - Journey - Wheel In The Sky (97 pts)
4th - New Light Choir - Queen of Winter (91 pts)
5th - Clutch - Electric Worry (81 pts)
6th - Dillon Carmichael - Hell on an Angel (74 pts)
6th - number girl - omoide in my head (74 pts)
8th - Catatonia - Road Rage (73 pts)
9th - Hanging Gardens - Unearth (72 pts)
10th - The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company (63 pts)
11th - Siegfried - Forging Song from Act 1 (59 pts)
12th - Shal Marshall - Splinters (50 pts)

So John-Connor is the first person to get one through to the Final :up:

Enjoy a nice relaxing Sunday everyone, Round 2 will be up and open for voting from around 9am GMT tomorrow.

edarsenal 03-03-19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 1993579)
Too bad, Iron Maiden was a great nom, use to be fascinated by their albums cover art when I was a kid..
I just may bring it back for another round. Loved the artwork as well. Remember doing a pencil version of Eddie from that album (Killers) and giving it a friend who hung it upon their wall.

edarsenal 03-03-19 01:34 PM

CONGRATS @john-Conner!! Solid first round win Cooke, bravo!

And THANKS @Chypmunk for setting this up; great idea!

honeykid 03-03-19 03:58 PM

Round 2 Nom
Jade Bird - Uh Huh

Chypmunk 03-04-19 05:07 AM

A warm welcome back to everybody :up:

Chypmunk 03-04-19 05:17 AM

Now open for nominations to Round 3.

Chypmunk 03-04-19 06:33 AM

1. Meg Myers - Desire
2. Jinjer - Pisces
3. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
4. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
5. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
6. System Of A Down - Aerials
7. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
8. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
9. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
10. Foo Fighters - Everlong
11. The Gathering - Strange Machines
12. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie

My nom for Round 3:
Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement

John-Connor 03-04-19 06:46 AM

1. Foo Fighters - Everlong
One of my GOAT tracks within the genre..

2. System Of A Down - Aerials
Great band, they are up there with RATM..

3. Meg Myers - Desire
Cool sound, hot singer and nice voice kinda like skunk anansie..

4. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
When they still play your sht centuries later, you are an immortal!

5. Jinjer - Pisces
Without the WROOAAHHRRAARRGGHHAUOUOURRGH parts it would have been my #2..

6. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
Nice, easy listening pop track..

7. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
Reminds me of Bjork and Kate Bush.. think I’ll nom a Kate Bush track later on..

8. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
Do I like it? I nod and say.. Uh Huh..

9. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
Classic..

10. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
Solid jam..

11. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
Beautifully shot video..

12. The Gathering - Strange Machines
I was there at pinkpop ‘96 to see The Prodigy, legendary!

Round 3
Metallica - One

^ back in rotation because it was used in one of the most kick-ass tv trailers i've seen in a long time.. for The Punisher season1.. Marvel's The Punisher Season 1 Trailer

honeykid 03-04-19 11:04 AM

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun - I haven't done one of these song tournament type things for a while, so I'll go with how I feel. I usually feel that I should vote against stuff like this because it's practically cheating, IMO. I'm not calling the person who nominated this a cheat, it's just how I feel. The Doors, The Beatles, The Stones, Elvis, etc. It's too easy.

Jade Bird - Uh Huh - She's one of my new discoveries (not actually discovered by me, it's just how I describe finding someone/something new to me. For example, I discovered Lady Gaga last year :D) and I think she's great. I was going to go with Breathe by The Prodigy. Kind of wish I had now given todays news. RIP Keith.

The Gathering - Strange Machines - Not often a new live performance does so well with me, but I really liked this.

Meg Myers - Desire - I think someone has nominated a song of hers before. Possibly with one? I liked that and I like this. I should try some more of her stuff.

Jinjer - Pisces - Her singing is quite nice. She has a nice voice. Then the growling starts and I tune out even though the music gets better. :D

Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie - I like a lot of classical music. I like this, but it's something I have to want to listen to. Otherwise I might as well be on hold. A bit unfair on it here, as I'd prefer to listen to it than a lot of stuff here, but at this moment it's difficult to place.

Foo Fighters - Everlong - I'm not much of a fan. Liked their first album but not really connected with much after that. This is probably where it is on familiarity as much as anything.

System Of A Down - Aerials - It's ok. Makes me feel a bit like the following song on the list.

Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest - Meh. It passes the time without annoying me. That's in its favour.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite - It's alright. It sounds like all the stuff that sounds like this sounds to me. :D

The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu - Not really my thing. I like songs to start when I start listening and not go on for 6 minutes. I didn't dislike it though.

Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields - Still to hear anything from this band which lights me up. I don't do folk music, so this put me offside from the intro. :D

honeykid 03-04-19 11:06 AM

Round 3 Nom
The Prodigy - Breathe

ahwell 03-04-19 11:49 AM

1. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie

2. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite

3. Jinjer - Pisces

4. Jade Bird - Uh Huh

5. The Gathering - Strange Machines

6. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

7. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

8. Meg Myers - Desire

9. System Of A Down - Aerials

10. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

11. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields

12. Foo Fighters - Everlong

ahwell 03-04-19 11:52 AM

Round 3 Nom-

Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

Sedai 03-04-19 01:16 PM

It's not really fair putting a Back piece in the tourney! ;)

I like a lot of the other songs, but come on, some random pop track just doesn't compare to JS friggin Bach!

I will post my rankings soon...

Sedai 03-04-19 03:31 PM

1. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie - One could make an argument that this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created by humans. Not really a fair contender, eh? :)

3. Jinjer - Pisces
4. Foo Fighters - Everlong
5. Meg Myers - Desire
6. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
8. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
9. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu.
10. The Gathering - Strange Machines
11. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
12. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Liking that Meg Myers song...Gonna check out more of her stuff.

Sedai 03-04-19 03:33 PM

Round 3 nomination:

Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)

ahwell 03-04-19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1993908)
1. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie - One could make an argument that this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created by humans. Not really a fair contender, eh? :)

3. Jinjer - Pisces
4. Foo Fighters - Everlong
5. Meg Myers - Desire
6. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
8. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
10. The Gathering - Strange Machines
11. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
12. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Liking that Meg Myers song...Gonna check out more of her stuff.
Well, I mean, there weren’t any limits (except time), and I love the piece to death, so I just had to nominate it. For me it’s a real trip to Heaven and back.

pahaK 03-04-19 03:58 PM

1. Meg Myers - Desire
I think I nominated this on one song tourney. The song, the voice and the video are one of the sexiest ever. I'll but it ahead of my own nom to reward @Captain Spaulding for reading my thread.

2. The Gathering - Strange Machines
Really catchy and mellow stuff. My favorite album by The Gathering. Anneke looks so happy and lively (and stoned) that even a grumpy ass like me starts to smile.

3. Jinjer - Pisces
I'm not really a fan of Jinjer but this particular song is good. I really like the vocals too, both clean and harsh.

4. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
I listened to some Bat for Lashes years ago but remembered it being more rock than this. A tad too long intro but otherwise pretty nice.

5. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
Haven't listened to The Doors that much. My impression is that they're often really repetitive and this isn't an exception. Still clearly better than I expected.

6. Foo Fighters - Everlong
Laid back and easy to listen. Wouldn't probably put it on myself but wouldn't mind if someone else does. Goes on for too long though.

7. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
Somehow this reminds me of Rammstein. It's a tad too long and repetitive but I think there's more positive than negative things still.

8. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
At first I thought I was listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit cover but it's just the intro. Not bad but not too memorable either.

9. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
Feels quite generic pop-punk but in Japanese. Passable background music but nothing more.

10. System Of A Down - Aerials
Serj is great singer but I've never liked SoaD's music.

11. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
I'm not sophisticated enough to get this. It kinda works as a background music but I can't get a hold of it if I really try to listen.

12. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
So repetitive and dull for such a short song. Totally forgettable.

pahaK 03-04-19 04:04 PM

Round 3 nomination:

The Warning - Ugh

Derek Vinyard 03-04-19 06:49 PM

Round 2
System Of A Down - Aerials
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Jinjer - Pisces
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
The Gathering - Strange Machines
Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
Jade Bird - Uh Huh
Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
Meg Myers - Desire
Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

resopamenic 03-04-19 07:47 PM

1. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
2. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
3. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
4. The Gathering - Strange Machines
5. Jinjer - Pisces
6. Foo Fighters - Everlong
7. System Of A Down - Aerials
8. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie
10. Meg Myers - Desire
11. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
12. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

Nom for round 3
Wagakki Band - Tengaku

MijaFrost 03-04-19 09:10 PM

1. Jade Bird - Uh Huh

Awesome, very spirited performer. I listened to a tonne of her tunes on YouTube after this. She kind of reminds me of the underdogs I would root for on American Idol back when I watched from like 2008 - 2012...

2. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

I think these guys are bad-ass. They've only released two songs so far but a full album will be out soon.

3. The Doors - Waiting for the Sun

<3 the Doors.

4. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie

This reminded me of a radio station I used to listen to on Sunday mornings that would play choral church pieces like this and others. It was nice to hear it again.

5. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields

Love Bat for Lashes.

6. The Gathering - Strange Machines

Wasn't what I was expecting when it started playing, but I liked her voice.

7. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

This is fun.

8. Jinjer - Pisces

Pretty singer, not so much into the growling though.

9. Meg Myers - Desire

Whoa, scary psycho girl. I hope I don't date anyone with an ex like this, haha...

The following were not my style...

10. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
11. System of a Down - Aerials
12. Foo Fighters - Everlong

Round 3 Nom:

SKÁLD - Run

edarsenal 03-04-19 10:07 PM

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun my favorite from the bassless band of poets.

The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu Loving those instruments! Very glad to have the heads up to go in a minute and get into the song.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite Quite the rockin number. Really enjoyed this

Meg Myers - Desire A dark and sexy song with a great guitar lead. Gonna hafta look into more of this.

Jade Bird - Uh Huh Uh Huh is right!

Jinjer - Pisces Wow. Did NOT see the heavy growling coming, but it didn't hamper the song at all

Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie Quite the beautiful bit of Bach, I must say

The Gathering - Strange Machines Quite the pleasant surprise - did NOT expect such a strong voice from that little girl. VERY nice.

Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields Quite haunting and ethereal. Especially the opening.

Foo Fighters - Everlong While I never got into the Foo Fighters this is a good song of theirs. Love the drums in this.

System Of A Down - Aerials Not a fan of the band but it is one I can handle

Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest kinda so-so for me. No highs, no lows, just sort of meanders

Round 3
Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

Captain Spaulding 03-05-19 03:24 AM

1. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
(A shame that that is so low on most of the rankings. I loved the hell out of this and have listened to it a few times now. I don't even know how to describe what I've just heard. It sounds like a genre unto itself. Awesome song. Even the design of the instruments is killer. Never expected to have a Mongolian song stuck in my head. Yuve Yuve Yu!)

2. Meg Myers - Desire
https://i.imgur.com/EH5tpKr.jpg

3. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
(Surprisingly good. Love the attitude and spunkiness. Would not have assumed it was a modern song if I just heard it on the radio, and I mean that in a good way. Will certainly be listening to more of her stuff.)

4. Jinjer - Pisces
(Insanely impressive vocal performance. Love the juxtaposition between the two styles, which should feel jarring yet somehow meshes perfectly. Hopefully the exorcists steer clear because the demon residing in her throat makes a great duet partner.)

5. The Gathering - Strange Madness
(Don't think I'm familiar with The Gathering, but I found this live performance very impressive. Heavy enough to headbang, but melodic and catchy at the same time. Curious to hear a studio version and other songs from the group.)

6. The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
(The Doors is a top five band for me, but I tend to favor less familiar artists/songs in these tournaments.)

(I really like some of Bat for Lashes stuff, but haven't listened to her in a long time. This song doesn't make a strong first impression, but I could easily see it growing on me. Very relaxing song. Love her voice.)

8. System of a Down - Aerials
(Never liked System of a Down, mainly because I find the singer's voice so annoying. If somebody could go through their catalogue and edit out his voice from every song, I might be a fan since the instrumentation is never an issue.)

9. Foo Fighters - Everlong
(It's really an indictment against the state of modern rock that the Foo Fighters are somehow considered one of the great rock bands of the 21st century. Not being a hater, because I like some of their stuff, but they've received a lot of accolades for simply being above average. Grew tired of this particular song long ago.)

10. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
(Pleasant, radio-friendly song, but instantly forgettable.)

11. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
(I'd rather listen to the Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Stop trying to class up this tournament, @ahwell! Haven't you learned yet that we're an unsophisticated bunch?)

12. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
(Have always hated this nerdy pop-punk sound. Somebody shove these losers into a locker.)

Captain Spaulding 03-05-19 03:43 AM

Round 3 Nomination:

Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat

ahwell 03-05-19 09:47 AM

@Captain Spaulding

Well I don’t really have anything else to nominate... And there’s nothing more “sophisticated” about classical music than rock/pop/etc, and nothing elitist about about it... I hope I’ll live to see that stereotype, but I’ll keep trying in the mean time, sorry.

Sedai 03-05-19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 1994075)
@Captain Spaulding

Well I don’t really have anything else to nominate... And there’s nothing more “sophisticated” about classical music than rock/pop/etc, and nothing elitist about about it... I hope I’ll live to see that stereotype, but I’ll keep trying in the mean time, sorry.

Just to be clear, go ahead and nominate whatever you like.

We like to bust people's chops a bit here on MoFo, and it's all in good fun. :)

ahwell 03-05-19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1994154)
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 1994075)
@Captain Spaulding

Just to be clear, go ahead and nominate whatever you like.

We like to bust people's chops a bit here on MoFo, and it's all in good fun. :)
All right... yeah I guess that just passed over my head :)

pahaK 03-05-19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1994026)
2. Meg Myers - Desire
https://i.imgur.com/EH5tpKr.jpg
Yeah, I think that sums it up quite nicely :D

Chypmunk 03-06-19 05:08 AM

Ok, time's up for Round 2, sadly @jiraffejustin appears to have gone awol but it's probable that the winner was far enough clear anyway - here's the results.......

1st - Jinjer - Pisces (96 pts)

2nd - Meg Myers - Desire (86 pts)
2nd - Jade Bird - Uh Huh (86 pts)
4th - The Doors - Waiting For The Sun (85 pts)
5th - The Gathering - Strange Machines (71 pts)
6th - The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu (69 pts)
6th - Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie (69 pts)
8th - System Of A Down - Aerials (68 pts)
9th - Foo Fighters - Everlong (64 pts)
10th - Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite (60 pts)
11th - Bat For Lashes - Winter Fields (55 pts)
12th - Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest (49 pts)

So Sedai is the second person to get one through to the Final :up:

Round 3 will be up shortly.

Chypmunk 03-06-19 05:14 AM

Chypmunk 03-06-19 05:24 AM

Now open for nominations to Round 4.

Chypmunk 03-06-19 06:23 AM

1. The Prodigy - Breathe
2. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement
3. SKÁLD - Run
4. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
5. Church Of The Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
6. Metallica - One
7. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
8. Halsey - Without Me (live piano version)
9. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
10. The Warning - Ugh

Round 4 nom:
Gaelic Storm - Scalliwag

John-Connor 03-06-19 07:49 AM

1. Metallica - One
  2. The Prodigy - Breathe
  3. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
  4. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)
  5. The Warning - Ugh
  6. Church Of The Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
  7. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
  8. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement
  9. SKÁLD - Run
  10. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

Round 4
The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter

resopamenic 03-06-19 08:44 AM

1. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3
2. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
3. The Warning - Ugh
4. The Prodigy - Breathe
5. Metallica - One
6. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement
7. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
8. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
9. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)
10. SKÁLD - Run

Nom for round 4
Yoko Takahashi - The Cruel's Angel Thesis

ahwell 03-06-19 11:46 AM

1. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

3. Metallica - One

4. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)

5. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat

6. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

7. The Prodigy - Breathe

8. The Warning - Ugh

9. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement

10. SKÁLD - Run

ahwell 03-06-19 11:49 AM

Round 3 Nom-

Schnittke - Concerto Grosso #1, Rondo

Sedai 03-06-19 12:02 PM

1. Metallica - One
2 Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows - Love this band....might nominate another one of their tunes next round
3. Halsey - Without Me (live piano version)
4. Church Of The Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat - Good harmonies here...
5. SKÁLD - Run.
6. The Prodigy - Breathe
7. The Warning - Ugh - Loved the riffs, but the vocal was a little grating...
8. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
10. Wagakki Band - Tengaku

Sedai 03-06-19 12:38 PM

Round 4 Nom-

Concrete Blonde - The Beast

pahaK 03-06-19 01:31 PM

Now that I read the "reviews" i had written on my text pad it seems that the boring was the theme of this round :D

1. The Warning - Ugh
I really like these young ladies. Really catch song and I like their live performances a lot (little rougher and heavier than on albums).

I liked this a lot. Very refreshing mix of old and new. It looks cool to have all those traditional instruments in a rock band too.

3. Metallica - One
Not the best Metallica song by any means but still good. Don't like the video though.

4. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3
Best of these classic pieces this far. Would probably work better on a movie soundtrack though.

5. The Prodigy - Breathe
Repetitive and monotonous but still not bad. Back when MTV (and VIVA) still played music The Prodigy was one of the few non-metal acts I usually bothered to watch.

6. SKÁLD - Run
It just feels too safe and traditional take on this sort of music. Not bad bad slightly dull.

7. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)
Great vocals but boring song.

8. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
Not much is happening in here and I'm bored.

Back when I was in junior high couple of my friends listened to psychobilly so I was familiar with the band. Didn't like it much then and that hasn't really changed.

10- Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
This is so boring that I'm getting cold sweats just for listening.

pahaK 03-06-19 02:06 PM

Round 4 nomination:

Therion - Schwartzalbenheim

Derek Vinyard 03-06-19 09:32 PM

Round 4 nom:
JINJER - I Speak Astronomy

my turn to nominate some Jinjer :D

MijaFrost 03-06-19 11:11 PM

1. SKÁLD - Run

Well... I like my nom best out of this bunch. :p I think the Vikings style is cool with this group. Just discovered them recently, already listened to their album a few times.

2. The Prodigy - Breathe

Old skool hip-hop (?) is usually fun.

3. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

This was a nice composition to listen to on my way to work this morning.

4. Wagakki Band - Tengaku

Reso nominated something from Wagakki Band before I got a chance to! They're great.

5. The Warning - Ugh

Not bad, though it'd be much better to actually listen to them live in concert as opposed to watching the video. The "energy" here just doesn't carry over through a recorded performance.

6. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat

I have no idea what this song is about, but the band name is awesome and I like the cult vibe going on. I thought this was going to be metal so I was very surprised that it's kind of folksy indie rock.

I wasn't feeling the rest...

7. Halsey - Without Me (Live)

8. Metallica - One

9. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

10. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement

jiraffejustin 03-07-19 02:14 AM

1. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
2. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
3. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
4. SKALD - Run
5. Metallica - One
7. Demented Are Go - Bodies in the Basement
8. The Warning - Ugh
9. The Prodigy - Breathe
10. Halsey - Without Me

jiraffejustin 03-07-19 02:18 AM

Round 4

Comus - Song to Comus

Chypmunk 03-07-19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1994651)
2. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
3. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
4. SKALD - Run
5. Metallica - One
7. Demented Are Go - Bodies in the Basement
8. The Warning - Ugh
9. The Prodigy - Breathe
10. Halsey - Without Me
Sorry jj, appreciate your having listened and ranked the songs but am only accepting votes from those with a nomination in any particular round so I'll not be adding these points to the totals.
Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1992992)
  • Only those with songs nominated in any 'round' are eligible to vote; except the 'Final' where all those that have previously nominated a song in the month may vote should they wish
Welcome back for Round 4 though :up:

MijaFrost 03-07-19 12:12 PM

Round 4 nom:

The Swell Season - Feeling the Pull

Sedai 03-07-19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MijaFrost (Post 1994632)

2. The Prodigy - Breathe

:rotfl:

MijaFrost 03-07-19 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1994743)
Originally Posted by MijaFrost (Post 1994632)

2. The Prodigy - Breathe

:rotfl:
Well, I don't know what you call that type of music, whatever it is...

Captain Spaulding 03-07-19 07:21 PM

(Extremely repetitive, yet insanely catchy. Amazing harmonies. Love when the song slows down into a jam session, then comes roaring back to life. Just a fun, vibrant song. The cheesy hippie-cult-on-acid vibe and video are also plusses.)

2. Demented Are Go - Bodies in the Basement
(Great fun. Love the rebellious energy. Has more of a metal sound than what I'm used to hearing from the band. Been a fan of this lead singer, Sparky, for awhile since he has one of those gargles-with-battery-acid voices, although he reminds me a lot of Lemmy in this particular song.)

3. SKALD - Run
(Supposedly my dad's side of the family descends from Vikings, so maybe this tribal, haunting music is reigniting something dormant in my soul. Somebody hand me my horned helmet! VALHALLA!)

4. Metallica - One
(Hate all the movie sampling, but otherwise kick-ass song.)

5. The Warning - Ugh
(Some nice riffs, but overall a bit generic. Luckily I have a soft spot for lady rockers.)

6. Halsey - Without Me
(Nice, emotional vocal. She's quite the looker as well. Song itself is pretty bland, though.)

7. The Prodigy - Breathe
(Video > song.)

8. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
(Was enjoying this at first, but by the end it was getting on my nerves. Asian chicks are hot, but there's something about the Japanese singing style that I find consistently off-putting. Was digging the bamboo flute, though!)

9. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
(A pale, sleepy imitation lacking everything great and iconic about Cohen's original.)

10. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
(*mumbles obscenities*)

edarsenal 03-07-19 08:07 PM

Metallica - One Always loved this song and ESPECIALLY this video where they added snippets of the film that inspired the song; Johnny Got His Gun which is a haunting film all its own.

Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows The song that turned me on to Concrete Blonde and, thereby, my favorite of theirs.

Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3 A little Brahms goes a long, long way. I always found Brahms epic in its execution and this a valid demonstration of that.

Wagakki Band - Tengaku pretty wild take on traditional music and instruments and giving it a rockin edge to it. Pretty cool. Definitely a band to WATCH for the visual aspect of the performance.

Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement Got a Motörhead feel to it and I'm feelin it.

Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version) Nice bit of soul in that lady and f@ckin LOVE that dress!

SKALD - Run Really enjoyed the Viking song. Could easily picture this on a Nordic soundtrack.

The Prodigy - Breathe Was first introduced to this band when the film The Crow came out and I do remember this song though not one that stays with me

Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat Is is me or were these people VERY unhappy about standing in front of a camera? Cool song though.

The Warning - Ugh Reminded me of a lot of local bar bands I saw back in the day

EDIT: somehow SKALD got lost in the voting, THANKS @Captain Spaulding for the heads up!!

edarsenal 03-07-19 08:14 PM

Next Round Robin

Seether - Driven Under

Captain Spaulding 03-07-19 08:37 PM

Round 4 nomination:

Night Club - Schizophrenic

Chypmunk 03-08-19 05:02 AM

Voting's now closed for Round 3, sadly @honeykid appears to have gone awol this time (hopefully didn't overdo the CL celebrations) but it's already a fait accompli for the winner anyway.......

1st - Metallica - One (67 pts)

2nd - The Prodigy - Breathe (57 pts)
3rd - Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3 (52 pts)
4th - Wagakki Band - Tengaku (51 pts)
5th - Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows (48 pts)
6th - Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat (46 pts)
7th - Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version) (45 pts)
7th - The Warning - Ugh (45 pts)
7th - SKÁLD - Run (45 pts)
10th - Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite (39 pts)

So John-Connor doubles up for the Final :up:

Round 4 will be up shortly.