Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64722)

Thief 09-02-21 05:21 PM

Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

4 Attachment(s)

It's ON! You all asked for it! By popular demand, we're on our way to our next countdown: the 2000s, the 00s, the "aughts", the new millennium. So get your air guns ready, grab a milkshake, and prepare to vote for the best films of the decade.

LIST OF GENERAL RULES

So here's the list of who continues to live, and who gets the end of the sword:
  • Submit your ranked list of twenty-five (25) titles, from best to worst, using our nifty, new ballot tool (see below)
  • Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film.
  • If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)
  • Generally speaking, new members can send in a list as soon as they've been a member here for one month. Other cases can be treated on a case-by-case basis.
  • Films that are part of a series or trilogy (Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill, etc.) must be submitted as separate films.
  • Any film listed as 2000-2009 on IMDb is eligible for our list (see below)
  • No peeking! Anyone who reveals their submitted list before the countdown has ended will be disqualified.
  • The deadline for entries will be December 2, 2021. That gives you three (3) full months to catch up, research, dig up, or refresh anything you might put up on your list.

THE BALLOT

Where do you put your vote for Pedro? Well, just like we did on the previous Foreign Language Film Countdown, we're gonna be using our new ballot toy, courtesy of Yoda, which you can access here:

It will look like this:

• Just type the name of the movie you want and select it from the drop-down list.
  • If the movie doesn't appear, you can click the link on the upper right corner ("movie you want not showing up") and paste the URL of the movie from the IMDb or TMDb.
  • Check, and double-check, the names and dates of the film as you choose them, to avoid mistakes and confusion. Remember that there can be several films with the same title (especially, foreign films)
  • There should be a minimum of ten (10) entries per ballot.
  • You will receive a copy of your list via PM after you submit.
  • All ballots are final, so make sure everything is set before submitting.

ELIGIBILITY

So, who can join this "fellowship" of films? As was said above, the basic premise is that any film listed as 2000-2009 on IMDb is eligible for our list.

As for other eligibility situations:
  • There are bound to be some edge cases (limited releases, foreign releases, etc.) which can be brought forward in the thread and discussed accordingly.
  • Television series and mini-series are NOT eligible.
  • Other eligibility questions can be politely discussed in this thread. Curator's decision is final :cool:

There is a recommendation thread available where you can share lists and thoughts on eligible films for others to check.

So choose well, choose wisely, always respect the opinions and thoughts of others, but most of all, HAVE FUN!

May the best 2000's film win!!

(please, not The Dark Knight! not The Dark Knight!)

Thief 09-02-21 05:21 PM

Re: Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

Ballots received

1. Tugg
  2. John W Constantine
  3. MovieFan1988
  4. mrblond
  5. Guaporense
  6. Nope1172
  7. Steve Freeling
  8. The Rodent
  9. Hey Fredrick
  10. donniedarko
  11. Torgo
  12. sumantra roy
  13. Harry Lime
  14. Citizen Rules
  15. TheUsualSuspect
  16. SpelingError
  17. Allaby
  18. Thursday Next
  19. ahwell
  20. Skepsis93
  21. KeyserCorleone
  22. Takoma11
  23. Wooley
  24. kgaard
  25. ash_is_the_gal
  26. John Dumbear
  27. GulfportDoc
  28. Thief
  29. Daakmore
  30. Aidanc
  31. ScarletLion
  32. seanc
  33. Captain Spaulding
  34. PHOENIX74
  35. edarsenal
  36. Miss Vicky
  37. thracian dawg
  38. Deschain
  39. John McClane
  40. Fabulous
  41. mattiasflgrtll6
  42. Rockatansky
  43. AgrippinaX
  44. pahaK
  45. MovieMeditation
  46. Okay
  47. John-Connor
  48. Chypmunk
  49. CosmicRunaway
  50. ueno_station54
  51. xSookieStackhouse
  52. gomorra82
  53. Holden Pike
  54. mark f
  55. resopamenic
  56. rbrayer
  57. Captain Terror
  58. Diehl40
  59. cricket
  60. Kaplan
  61. Wyldesyde19
  62. Yomi
  63. rauldc14
  64. Yoda
  65. Jinnistan
  66. Frightened Inmate No. 2
  67. ynwtf
  68. Pussy Galore
  69. crumbsroom
  70. Cobpyth
  71. ApexPredator
  72. Taz
  73. Siddon
  74. dadgumblah
  75. Jabs
  76. gbgoodies
  77. jiraffejustin
  78. Iroquois
  79. gandalf26
  80. Sedai
  81. beelzebubble
  82. Death Proof
  83. WHITBISSELL!
  84. Derek Vinyard
  85. CaptainT
  86. JayDee
  87. ScannerDarkly
  88. sarah f

Thief 09-02-21 05:22 PM

Eligibility issues and clarifications:
  • Each Lord of the Rings film counts as a separate entry/film.
  • Same applies to Kill Bill. Each Volume counts as a separate entry/film, since that's how they were originally released.
  • The Japanese anime Redline is eligible, even though TMDB lists it as a 2010 release.

Miss Vicky 09-02-21 05:32 PM

Interesting that partial ballots will be prorated. I don't think that's ever actually been done with any of the previous countdowns.

Not that the change will affect me. I could fill four ballots and still have leftovers. I doubt I'll even try for a one-pointer this time.

Flicker 09-02-21 05:34 PM

Ok, question.

How do we navigate between "hey guys are you sure you know about that movie before voting for another ?" and "hmm, no no, just asking, doesn't mean it's on my secret vote list or anything" ?

Thief 09-02-21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2235388)
Interesting that partial ballots will be prorated. I don't think that's ever actually been done with any of the previous countdowns.

Not that the change will affect me. I could fill four ballots and still have leftovers. I doubt I'll even try for a one-pointer this time.
I think it makes for a more balanced voting. I mean, if the only 2000's film I saw was Battlefield Earth and I say "well, it was crap, but I'll vote for it", that film will automatically get 25 points, when it would've probably been just one if I had seen/voted more films (of course, this is an example. We all know Battlefield Earth deserves the win)

Plus, it also helps to encourage people to submit complete ballots, hence more films in the mix.

Harry Lime 09-02-21 05:44 PM

I saw Battlefield Earth in theatres. Yup.

Citizen Rules 09-02-21 05:45 PM

Very cool Thief! So glad you're doing it and hopefully more of the RT/Corries will particiapte this time around (if not you should bug the hell out them!):D

If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)
I like that, it's fresh and it's not been done before.

THANK YOU for doing this countdown for our MoFo community:)

Harry Lime 09-02-21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 2235391)
I saw Battlefield Earth in theatres. Yup.
And it was amazing!

https://media4.giphy.com/media/xT9KV...giphy.gif&ct=g

Thief 09-02-21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker (Post 2235389)
Ok, question.

How do we navigate between "hey guys are you sure you know about that movie before voting for another ?" and "hmm, no no, just asking, doesn't mean it's on my secret vote list or anything" ?
Not sure if I get what you're asking, but if you're referring to the rule about not "revealing your submitted list", it refers to just that. People can still ask around and recommend their favorites to other people (and we have a thread for that), but you just can't go and post your whole list 1 thru 25 while we're in the middle of the countdown.

Let me know if that answers your question.

ScarletLion 09-02-21 05:59 PM

Well done Thief. This will be good. Are documentaries allowed? Can't remember.

Thief 09-02-21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2235399)
Well done Thief. This will be good. Are documentaries allowed? Can't remember.
Yes, they are.

Thursday Next 09-02-21 06:03 PM

Yay, it's starting!

Flicker 09-02-21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2235394)
Not sure if I get what you're asking, but if you're referring to the rule about not "revealing your submitted list", it refers to just that. People can still ask around and recommend their favorites to other people (and we have a thread for that), but you just can't go and post your whole list 1 thru 25 while we're in the middle of the countdown.

Let me know if that answers your question.
Ok. There's a bit of a fine line between "recommending your favorites" and "disclosing your selection", but the fact it goes both ways (others people also recommending favorites we haven't watched yet) does probably alter our initial selections enough to shuffle the cards, I imagine.

It's all certainly obvious for those who participated in it already. I'm only progressively seeing the difference between this and a simple, five minutes long, "post your faves and go home" kind of vote.

Harry Lime 09-02-21 06:06 PM

Thanks Thief for running the show.

Now three grueling months of turning 39 into 25!

Thursday Next 09-02-21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker (Post 2235389)
Ok, question.

Recommend more than 25? :p

In all seriousness I will be recommending films that won't make my 25 just because they won't make my 25 but I still want them in the top 100.

I think there are some members where we absolutely know certain films they will vote for, that isn't the same as disclosing your exact 25 in order.

SpelingError 09-02-21 06:48 PM

Thanks for hosting this, Thief!

Wyldesyde19 09-03-21 01:07 PM

Yay! Don’t worry Thief, I’m sure you’ll do fine.

John Dumbear 09-03-21 01:23 PM

My belly button has been puckering and unpuckering in anticipation of this event!

Thanks Thief, for taking one for the corrie.

John W Constantine 09-03-21 02:15 PM

I guess I aught to get on this.

Thief 09-03-21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2235660)
I guess I aught to get on this.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PowerfulSh...et-max-1mb.gif

Sedai 09-03-21 04:17 PM

Excellent!

I will make sure to get a list in after I have had some time to catch up with some films I have yet to see...

TheUsualSuspect 09-05-21 11:53 PM

Letterbox has helped me order what films I've seen and ranked them. So now I have to seek out some great films of the decade I have yet to watch and get through those.

Thief 09-06-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2236172)
Letterbox has helped me order what films I've seen and ranked them. So now I have to seek out some great films of the decade I have yet to watch and get through those.
Make sure you don't miss the Recommendation Thread where there are a lot of good sources of recommendation.

Diehl40 09-08-21 04:50 PM

Do made for cable TV movies count? Asking for a friend.

Thief 09-08-21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Diehl40 (Post 2237187)
Do made for cable TV movies count? Asking for a friend.
Check out the first post for most general questions about the ballot, eligibility, the timeframe, etc.

But the general rule is as follows...

ELEGIBILITY

So, who can join this "fellowship" of films? As was said above, the basic premise is that any film listed as 2000-2009 on IMDb is eligible for our list.

As for other eligibility situations:
  • There are bound to be some edge cases (limited releases, foreign releases, etc.) which can be brought forward in the thread and discussed accordingly.
  • Television series and mini-series are NOT eligible.
  • Other eligibility questions can be politely discussed in this thread. Curator's decision is final :cool:

Diehl40 09-08-21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2237194)
Check out the first post for most general questions about the ballot, eligibility, the timeframe, etc.

But the general rule is as follows...

I'll take it as a yes. They are on imdb and they are not a mini-series or a series. Just HBO and Showtime movies.

Thief 09-09-21 10:33 PM

Remember to share any questions, comments, or doubts about the logistics of the countdown, eligibility, or whatnot. Otherwise, just get to watching more 2000s films, with the help of our handy Recommendation thread.

John W Constantine 09-14-21 06:29 PM

When can we start submitting our ballots?

Thief 09-15-21 01:42 PM

Yoda is tinkering with the ballot, but I'm sure it'll be ready soon. We'll post it here as soon as it's available.

rauldc14 09-21-21 11:57 AM

Was just about to ask if anyone submitted yet.

Yoda 09-21-21 12:01 PM

Yeah, sorry for the delay. I figured requiring people to wait a few weeks to submit is pretty close to standard practice anyway.

Hopefully this week. Watch a few more to be safe in the mean time! :)

Sedai 09-21-21 12:06 PM

I will most likely send my ballot in the week before the deadline. This time around, I am making a concerted effort to get as many films in that I haven't seen yet as possible. I still have many, many films to watch.

Yoda 09-23-21 11:43 AM

Okay, in theory the ballot tool should be good to go!

NOTE: for this countdown, the curator has chosen weighted scoring, which is to say the points your ballot gives out is based on how many total films you have. So obviously, like normal, a full 25 films means your top film gets 25 points, your next film gets 24, etc...but if your ballot is only 10 films your top film will only receive 10 points. If your ballot is 15 films your top film receives 15 points...and so on.

I had to modify the software a bit for this, and after some testing it seems to work fine, but there's, like, a 5% chance I'll have to storm in here and announce I'm closing the tool for a bug fix in case I missed something. :laugh: I'll monitor submissions today and tomorrow to make sure it's working as intended, though.

Okay, those are the caveats. Here's the tool, basically identical on the front-end to last time:

https://www.movieforums.com/ballot.php

Tugg 09-23-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2240406)
Here's the tool, basically identical on the front-end to last time:

https://www.movieforums.com/ballot.php
Should I wait for 2000s ballot tool or submit in the provided tool even if it's titled Foreign?

mark f 09-23-21 12:11 PM

Wait.

Yoda 09-23-21 12:33 PM

Thanks for checking. My bad, just a text update. You're good. :up:

Thief 09-23-21 12:44 PM

For what it's worth, just updated the original post to include the link to the ballot.

Thanks to @Yoda for all the hard work and for subjecting to my petty wants :laugh:

Yoda 09-23-21 12:48 PM

I'm a forum admin, subjecting myself to people's petty wants is the whole job.

Chypmunk 09-23-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2240429)
I'm a forum admin, subjecting myself to people's petty wants is the whole job.
You mean all those people other than Camo actually wanted to be banned??? :D

mrblond 09-23-21 04:29 PM

Is the submission really open now?
Is it risky?
Is there someone who did it?

I'm asking because I'm ready with my top movies of the 2000's.

Thief 09-23-21 04:33 PM

Go ahead. I've already received one ballot. The risk, well, that's for you to decide :shifty:

Yoda 09-23-21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2240512)
Is the submission really open now?
Is it risky?
Is there someone who did it?

I'm asking because I'm ready with my top movies of the 2000's.
You're concerned about going to the trouble and losing the "work" or something?

If so, it looks fine. We tested it yesterday and one ballot has come in already.

Assuming you have the list written somewhere already it's really only "risking" a few minutes effort anyway.

Thief 09-23-21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2240523)
You're concerned about going to the trouble and losing the "work" or something?

If so, it looks fine. We tested it yesterday and one ballot has come in already.

Assuming you have the list written somewhere already it's really only "risking" a few minutes effort anyway.
Here is the serious response, while I was being all jokey. Gotta get better at this hosting thing. My apologies, mrblond.

MovieFan1988 09-23-21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2240525)
Here is the serious response, while I was being all jokey. Gotta get better at this hosting thing. My apologies, mrblond.
Make sure you update on the first page on who sent in the ballots like they do in all countdown lists, I don't see no names on there yet, so I don't know if I should send in my list yet, it's ready though

Thief 09-23-21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by MovieFan1988 (Post 2240541)
Make sure you update on the first page on who sent in the ballots like they do in all countdown lists, I don't see no names on there yet, so I don't know if I should send in my list yet, it's ready though
Yeah, the second and third post are reserved for that, and will be updated accordingly. Thanks.

MovieFan1988 09-24-21 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2240600)
Yeah, the second and third post are reserved for that, and will be updated accordingly. Thanks.
Ah ok, cool and your welcome

Torgo 09-24-21 09:03 AM

Does Paul Blart: Mall Cop count? Asking for a friend.

seanc 09-24-21 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

MovieFan1988 09-24-21 10:42 AM

@Thief - did you get my message about my ballot list, it only let me submitted 10 films instead of 25

Thief 09-24-21 11:06 AM

Just replied to you :)

Thief 09-24-21 02:57 PM

@MovieFan1988, got the ballot a while ago :up:

MovieFan1988 09-24-21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2240713)
@MovieFan1988, got the ballot a while ago :up:
Nice 👍

mrblond 09-24-21 06:58 PM

Probably a stupid question but... the submitted ballots have to be ranked order from #1 The Best, right?
Meaning that 1. Film = 25 pts ... 25. Film = 1 pt

It is not a countdown, right?

The title of the ballot is named "Submit 2000s Countdown Ballot"
That's very confusing, moreover in the description below the title there is nothing about it?

Thief 09-28-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2240786)
Probably a stupid question but... the submitted ballots have to be ranked order from #1 The Best, right?
Meaning that 1. Film = 25 pts ... 25. Film = 1 pt

It is not a countdown, right?

The title of the ballot is named "Submit 2000s Countdown Ballot"
That's very confusing, moreover in the description below the title there is nothing about it?
Sorry for the delayed response, but to your first question, yes. You should rank them in order which is detailed in points 1 thru 3 in the first post.

LIST OF GENERAL RULES
  • Submit your ranked list of twenty-five (25) titles, from best to worst, using our nifty, new ballot tool (see below)
  • Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film.
  • If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)
To your second question, it is a countdown because as soon as the votes are all in, and the ballots are tallied, we will be counting down from 100 to 1.

Hope that clarifies it. Let me know if you have any other question.

Thief 09-28-21 02:39 PM

@mrblond, got your ballot. Thank you, sir!

Thief 10-02-21 12:45 PM

Friendly reminder to everyone that we're exactly two months away from the deadline (DECEMBER 2, 2021) so make sure you schedule those watches and get those ballots in during the next two months. Feel free to ask any questions about the logistics of the countdown or issues with the ballot in this thread, and also stop by the Recommendation Thread for tips on what to watch.

rauldc14 10-02-21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2240649)
Does Paul Blart: Mall Cop count? Asking for a friend.
It does. Every ballot that's been submitted so far has had it on their list.

Thief 10-02-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2242472)
It does. Every ballot that's been submitted so far has had it on their list.
From 1 to 25.

rauldc14 10-02-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2242476)
From 1 to 25.
That's cheating!

BooBooKittyFock 10-02-21 10:43 PM

How do I submit my form if I don’t have a computer?

It says since this feature is in beta, I need a computer

BooBooKittyFock 10-03-21 01:12 PM

Can we publicly post our lists here as well? @Thief

John W Constantine 10-03-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2242696)
Can we publicly post our lists here as well? @Thief
Maybe PM him

Thief 10-03-21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2242607)
How do I submit my form if I don’t have a computer?

It says since this feature is in beta, I need a computer
Let's wait to see until @Yoda checks it out, but don't post the list here.

BooBooKittyFock 10-03-21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2242699)
Let's wait to see until @Yoda checks it out, but don't post the list here.
No biggie, I can probably borrow one from someone, I’ll figure it out

Yoda 10-03-21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2242700)
Yeah, currently not working on mobile, and frankly a lot of work and testing to get that done. It's also just a very tedious thing for you to do on mobile anyway, so I would strongly advise using a desktop even if it were possible to do either.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

BooBooKittyFock 10-03-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2242701)
Yeah, currently not working on mobile, and frankly a lot of work and testing to get that done. It's also just a very tedious thing for you to do on mobile anyway, so I would strongly advise using a desktop even if it were possible to do either.

All good, I’ll figure it out.

How you do any of this is beyond me, all is impressive though, especially your list section. How if you save a movie on one list, it carries over to all others as well

Thief 10-03-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2242700)
You still have two months, so I'm sure you can figure out something before the deadline. If after that time, you haven't been able to do so, then send me a DM and we'll see what we can do.

Citizen Rules 10-03-21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2242701)

Could a mobile user send their voting ballot to Thief the old fashion way as a numbered list 1-25? Does that still work or does the ballot have to be sent by the new ballot submission tool?

*I have a desktop so I'm asking for other people just to be helpful:)

Thief 10-03-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2242710)
Could a mobile user send their voting ballot to Thief the old fashion way as a numbered list 1-25? Does that still work or does the ballot have to be sent by the new ballot submission tool?

*I have a desktop so I'm asking for other people just to be helpful:)
I think it's better for people to use the ballot tool since it does the work of totaling the amounts and a bunch of other things, so doing it the old fashioned way sorta defeats the purpose of having it. However, like I told @BooBooKittyFock, if all options are wasted, then something else can be agreed. But again, you all have two months to make the arrangements necessary. I'm sure most of you can get access to a computer at work, school, etc. before the deadline. We'll cross any other rivers when we get there.

Yoda 10-03-21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2242703)
How you do any of this is beyond me, all is impressive though, especially your list section. How if you save a movie on one list, it carries over to all others as well
Thanks! That took awhile. :laugh: Mostly because I built the system one (relatively simple) way, then had to expand it over time.

Yoda 10-03-21 02:28 PM

Yeah, definitely use the ballot tool on desktop first. If it's absolutely necessary, I'll say yes, you'll probably be able to just PM me your ballot and I can find a way to enter it for you. But please only as a last resort. :)

Citizen Rules 10-03-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2242713)
I think it's better for people to use the ballot tool since it does the work of totaling the amounts and a bunch of other things, so doing it the old fashioned way sorta defeats the purpose of having it. However, like I told @BooBooKittyFock, if all options are wasted, then something else can be agreed. But again, you all have two months to make the arrangements necessary. I'm sure most of you can get access to a computer at work, school, etc. before the deadline. We'll cross any other rivers when we get there.
I of course will use the ballot tool, I did last time...I liked it.

Question, just for my own curiosity:

I've thought about hosting another countdown, one of these days, just maybe. So, I'm curious how the ballot tool works on your end for the host? Does it automatically put the info into a spreadsheet for you? Or does it arrive in your PM box looking like a numbered list?

Thief 10-03-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2242724)
Question, just for my own curiosity:

I've thought about hosting another countdown, one of these days, just maybe. So, I'm curious how the ballot tool works on your end for the host? Does it automatically put the info into a spreadsheet for you? Or does it arrive in your PM box looking like a numbered list?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Enchanting...ew-max-1mb.gif

EDIT: Seriously, though, there's a combination of those that should make it easy for you to do it. You know this is my first time and so far, I think the only "heavy requirement" is to make time to promote the countdown and, when it starts, to post the entries... and even that shouldn't consume too much time.

Guaporense 10-03-21 05:20 PM

Submitted, at first, I wanted to wait for Dune before submitting since I have high expectations but I decided to submit what I have now because I see that if Dune is really good other people will submit it (it is not like it can become an obscure favorite movie of mine).

edit: I now noticed it only includes films form 2000-2009, need to change my ballot ASAP

BooBooKittyFock 10-03-21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 2242744)
Submitted, at first, I wanted to wait for Dune before submitting since I have high expectations but I decided to submit what I have now because I see that if Dune is really good other people will submit it (it is not like it can become an obscure favorite movie of mine).
Dune? But this list is 2000-2009, I’m confused

Guaporense 10-03-21 05:24 PM

I though it was top movies of the 2000s, that is 21st century, but I noticed its for the first decade

Citizen Rules 10-03-21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2242732)

EDIT: Seriously, though, there's a combination of those that should make it easy for you to do it. You know this is my first time and so far, I think the only "heavy requirement" is to make time to promote the countdown and, when it starts, to post the entries... and even that shouldn't consume too much time.
Nah, promotion is easy, spreadsheets are hard! I don't know how to use a spreadsheet and I didn't when I hosted the 1930s Top 100 countdown. So if using a spreadsheet is now a requirement (I'm still not clear on that aspect)? I might have to pass on future hosting of a countdown.

Guaporense 10-03-21 05:35 PM

Finally changed it. Now it has a superhero movie in the top 10 even! I never thought I would do such a thing, but this superhero movie is actually great.

Thief 10-03-21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 2242744)

edit: I now noticed it only includes films form 2000-2009, need to change my ballot ASAP
Let me know if you have any issues re-submitting your ballot. @Yoda, should there be any issue? Do you have to clear something on your side?

Thief 10-03-21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2242747)
Nah, promotion is easy, spreadsheets are hard! I don't know how to use a spreadsheet and I didn't when I hosted the 1930s Top 100 countdown. So if using a spreadsheet is now a requirement (I'm still not clear on that aspect)? I might have to pass on future hosting of a countdown.
I'm a spreadsheet freak, so I'm on the other end of the spectrum, in that I might find myself doing one just for fun... but so far, the answer seems to be "NO" to needing to use spreadsheets.

Yoda 10-03-21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2242749)
Let me know if you have any issues re-submitting your ballot. @Yoda, should there be any issue? Do you have to clear something on your side?
Yeah, I have to wipe it out manually. @Guaporense, when you said you "changed it" you just mean you updated your list on a text file or something somewhere, yeah?

Citizen Rules 10-03-21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2242750)
I'm a spreadsheet freak, so I'm on the other end of the spectrum, in that I might find myself doing one just for fun... but so far, the answer seems to be "NO" to needing to use spreadsheets.
Thanks Thief:)

Thief 10-04-21 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2242751)
Yeah, I have to wipe it out manually. @Guaporense, when you said you "changed it" you just mean you updated your list on a text file or something somewhere, yeah?
I assume that's it. He/she sent me a DM with a revised list, but the ballot I have from the tool is the previous one.

Yoda 10-04-21 11:48 AM

Ah. If it's just a handful of changes can you send me them so I can update manually?

I might have to see if I can augment the tool to throw an error if someone tries to do this, because fixing this stuff manually is fairly tedious.

Thief 10-04-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2242927)
Ah. If it's just a handful of changes can you send me them so I can update manually?

I might have to see if I can augment the tool to throw an error if someone tries to do this, because fixing this stuff manually is fairly tedious.
Done.

Yoda 10-04-21 01:07 PM

Cool, I'll fix that today.

Meanwhile, I think I managed to restrict the ballot tool to films from 2000 to 2009. It should now throw an error if you try to select anything else. Only took a couple of minutes, too, assuming I did it right.

I think there's a chance there'll be some edge cases, with films that saw a limited or North American release or something right around the cutoff, so we'll see how it goes. Right now it's just using the year on TMDB.

Guaporense 10-04-21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2242751)
I send a PM with the new list. Like the old way these countdowns were done.

Chypmunk 10-05-21 11:13 AM

Just to clarify - are you accepting ballots from people with shorts on?
Or will I have to finally concede summer is over when submitting mine late-Nov / early-Dec and put on me long trousers to go through the process :)

(really hope I'm still allowed submit a ballot after this post)

Thief 10-05-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2243292)
Just to clarify - are you accepting ballots from people with shorts on?
Or will I have to finally concede summer is over when submitting mine late-Nov / early-Dec and put on me long trousers to go through the process :)

(really hope I'm still allowed submit a ballot after this post)
The primary thing we're encouraging people to do is submit their ballots with a helicopter beanie. That's the only one we must insist. Once we go below the neck, everything is game, I guess.

Sedai 10-05-21 12:27 PM

I've given up on pants completely at this point... Still have my socks on, though.

Thief 10-05-21 12:59 PM

To keep up with some more recommendations, here are the eligible films from the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, edited by Steven Jay Schneider.
  • In the Mood for Love (2000)
  • Gladiator (2000)
  • The Gleaners & I (2000)
  • Memento (2000)
  • Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  • Spirited Away (2001)
  • LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
  • Bowling for Columbine (2002)
  • City of God (2002)
  • Russian Ark (2002)
  • LOTR: The Two Towers (2002)
  • Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer (2003)
  • Elephant (2003)
  • Good Bye Lenin! (2003)
  • Oldboy (2003)
  • Osama (2003)
  • LOTR: The Return of the King (2003)
  • Downfall (2004)
  • Head-On (2004)
  • Moolaadé (2004)
  • Brokeback Mountain (2005)
  • The Lives of Others (2006)
  • Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  • Paranormal Activity (2007)
  • There Will Be Blood (2007)
  • Let the Right One In (2008)
  • The Dark Knight (2008)
  • The Hurt Locker (2008)
  • District 9 (2009)

rauldc14 10-05-21 01:12 PM

Gladiator for the win!!!!!

Thief 10-05-21 01:18 PM

And this is from Jennifer Eiss's 500 Essential Cult Movies. The list has 500+ films, but these are the eligible ones for our countdown...
  • Almost Famous (2000)
  • Amores Perros (2000)
  • Baise-moi (2000)
  • Battle Royale (2000)
  • Best in Show (2000)
  • Chopper (2000)
  • Ginger Snaps (2000)
  • Memento (2000)
  • Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  • Together (2000)
  • Unbreakable (2000)
  • Das Experiment (2001)
  • Dogtown and Z-Boys (2001)
  • Donnie Darko (2001)
  • Ghost World (2001)
  • 24 Hour Party People (2002)
  • 28 Days Later (2002)
  • Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
  • Dog Soldiers (2002)
  • Far from Heaven (2002)
  • Funny Ha Ha (2002)
  • Irreversible (2002)
  • Ju-on (2002)
  • Infernal Affairs (2002)
  • Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
  • Elephant (2003)
  • Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003)
  • Oldboy (2003)
  • Touching the Void (2003)
  • Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
  • Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (2004)
  • Night Watch (2004)
  • Primer (2004)
  • Saw (2004)
  • Shaun of the Dead (2004)
  • Brick (2004)
  • Caché (2005)
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
  • Mirrormask (2005)
  • Black Sheep (2006)
  • Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  • The Host (2006)
  • Tell No One (2006)
  • Renaissance (2006)
  • A Scanner Darkly (2006)
  • Juno (2007)
  • In Bruges (2008)
  • Man on Wire (2008)

The list was released in 2010, which is probably why there aren't any 2009 films.

Thief 10-05-21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2243326)
Gladiator for the win!!!!!
https://c.tenor.com/JNROTOuADA0AAAAC...sell-crowe.gif

SpelingError 10-05-21 01:22 PM

I appreciate all the effort you're putting into this, Thief. Keep up the great work :up:

Thief 10-05-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2243333)
I appreciate all the effort you're putting into this, Thief. Keep up the great work :up:
Just trying to keep up the engagement.

John Dumbear 10-05-21 03:27 PM

Dammit! Forgot all about " Bubba Ho-Tep". Now my list is at 37, going the wrong way...

Yoda 10-06-21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2242943)
Cool, I'll fix that today.

Meanwhile, I think I managed to restrict the ballot tool to films from 2000 to 2009. It should now throw an error if you try to select anything else. Only took a couple of minutes, too, assuming I did it right.

I think there's a chance there'll be some edge cases, with films that saw a limited or North American release or something right around the cutoff, so we'll see how it goes. Right now it's just using the year on TMDB.
Just bumping to say this should be fixed now.

Thief 10-06-21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2243746)
Just bumping to say this should be fixed now.
It is. Thanks!