Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Documentaries (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=54401)

GulfportDoc 06-07-18 11:58 AM

Documentaries

Yoda, I'm wondering if there would be enough interest in a separate documentaries forum? Documentaries are not as popular as movies, or TV. But yet people who do enjoy them are always looking for good ones.

Do you think a separate Documentary forum would fly?

Thanks,
~Doc

Yoda 06-07-18 12:02 PM

Re: Documentaries

I don't think it would have enough activity. There are a handful of good threads on them, however. They tend to get bumped every so often since the same ones come up when people search.

Citizen Rules 06-07-18 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1908488)
Yoda, I'm wondering if there would be enough interest in a separate documentaries forum? Documentaries are not as popular as movies, or TV. But yet people who do enjoy them are always looking for good ones.

Do you think a separate Documentary forum would fly?

Thanks,
~Doc
Doc, we had a documentary Hall of Fame once, very rewarding as they're was a lot of neat docs nominated and some good conversation was had. Here's a link:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=43005

Also if you click Lists at the top of a MoFo page, you can see the MoFo Top 100 Documentaries list as put together by us MoFos in a countdown hosted by Holden Pike.

GulfportDoc 06-07-18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1908490)
I don't think it would have enough activity. There are a handful of good threads on them, however. They tend to get bumped every so often since the same ones come up when people search.
You're probably right. Unless folks have access to streaming channels, or possibly a good library, then they're hard to acquire for viewing. Oftentimes YouTube has copies of many of them.

~Doc

GulfportDoc 06-07-18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908509)
Doc, we had a documentary Hall of Fame once, very rewarding as they're was a lot of neat docs nominated and some good conversation was had. Here's a link:

Also if you click Lists at the top of a MoFo page, you can see the MoFo Top 100 Documentaries list as put together by us MoFos in a countdown hosted by Holden Pike.
Thanks for the tips, CR. I'll investigate the sources you provided. Cheers.

~Doc

GulfportDoc 06-09-18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908509)

Enjoyed the doc hall of fame thread, although there were basically only 12 or so docs listed.

I couldn't find the MF top Docs list under the Lists menu. Do you know where it's tucked away?

BTW your new avatar of Welles' Macbeth looks a little like Burt Lancaster..;)

~Doc

Citizen Rules 06-09-18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1909210)
Enjoyed the doc hall of fame thread, although there were basically only 12 or so docs listed.

I couldn't find the MF top Docs list under the Lists menu. Do you know where it's tucked away?

BTW your new avatar of Welles' Macbeth looks a little like Burt Lancaster..;)

~Doc
Doc, there were only 12 documentaries in this particular Hall of Fame, as each member who joined got to nominate 1 documentary. The 12 members then watch all 12 of the nominated films. Then we vote on them. The winner of the HOF is then inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame, located here Hall of Fame Archives curated by yours truly:p

To find the Documentary list:

Click List at top of any MoFo page
Then, scroll down and click View/Manage Your List

It's called Movie Forums: Top 100 Documentaries
---------------------

Or just click your Profile and there's a link there to List

GulfportDoc 06-09-18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909218)

---------------------

Found it, CR. Thank-you. I think that there are a higher percentage of good docs than there are feature films.

~Doc

Albertus2020 01-16-20 09:01 AM

It's nice to be here. I love documentaries

Stirchley 02-14-20 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Zero interest in pop music, but I enjoyed this Amazon Original documentary. That is, once I figured out which Jonas is which. Documentary focuses too much on rich young men’s problems, but it is what it is.

Everyone has heard of Lorena & John Babbitt. Very interesting Amazon Original 4-part documentary. Lorena wasn’t at all what I expected. For one thing I had no idea she’s South American (Ecuador). Very slight in appearance & extremely soft-spoken. John seemed then & now to be an extreme dick even though his own was MIA for a while. Both flawed people, both had or continue to have run-ins with the law. His predilection for spousal rape & rough sex led to all his troubles. She seems to be happy now with a nice husband & child & I’m glad for her.

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 10:31 PM

I started watching Documentaries more often a year ago, and Life Itself, about Roger Ebert, was probably the best movie of 2014.

Other great Docs that I have seen include:
Hoop Dreams
genocide
Waco: The Rules of Engagement
4 Little Girls
Life Animated
The Invisible War
Hollywood on Trial
Grizzly Man

matt72582 02-15-20 09:14 AM

I love documentaries and maybe someone can start a poll to gauge interest?>

GulfportDoc 02-15-20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909218)

---------------------

I went back to check the list, and was able to select a few for viewing.

Here are several docs that I've enjoyed in the past couple of years, in no particular order:

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words (2015)

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (2018)

Jodorowski's Dune (2013)

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018)

Bill Cunningham: New York (2010)

The World Before Your Feet (2018)

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019)

The 24 Hour War (2016)

Citizenfour (2014)

Citizen Rules 02-15-20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2066117)
I went back to check the list, and was able to select a few for viewing.

Here are several docs that I've enjoyed in the past couple of years, in no particular order:

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words (2015)

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (2018)

Jodorowski's Dune (2013)

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018)

Bill Cunningham: New York (2010)

The World Before Your Feet (2018)

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019)

The 24 Hour War (2016)

Citizenfour (2014)
I've seen Jodorowski's Dune (2013) that was pretty cool, I reviewed it here at MoFo too.

matt72582 02-15-20 05:30 PM

-Place de la Republique
-Chronicles of a Summer
-Seven-Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRiE-HJFREA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxk-fg771r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugw7hUoJ0C0

GulfportDoc 02-15-20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2066149)
I've seen Jodorowski's Dune (2013) that was pretty cool, I reviewed it here at MoFo too.
I think you might enjoy them all. But the Dawson City and the Bergman docs might interest you most.

Stirchley 02-17-20 01:34 PM

Addicted to 7UP, etc. I have the latest one in my pile of DVDs to watch. Amazing series.

You guys should watch American Factory, which, IIRC, just won an Oscar for best documentary.

Stirchley 02-17-20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2066061)
I love documentaries and maybe someone can start a poll to gauge interest?>
Me too. Was gonna start a poll & can’t remember how to start a poll.

GulfportDoc 02-20-20 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2066487)
Me too. Was gonna start a poll & can’t remember how to start a poll.
That sounds like a good idea. It would give us an indication of who might support discussion of documentaries, or their favorite documentary films.

GulfportDoc 02-20-20 05:37 PM

Watched the Dorothy Kilgallen: The Reporter Who Knew Too Much video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYDaqto22NY

Shaw has really done his research, and I'll be looking forward to reading his recent book on the Kilgallen/Ruby/Oswald JFK assassination subjet, Denial of Justice.

Shaw's main focus of interest is on Kilgallen's disclosures regarding Jack Ruby, and his real reasons for shooting Oswald. Shaw is not an expert on the general subject of the JFK assassination, but his research into the subject of Kilgallen/Ruby/Oswald goes to show that there was definitely a plot to Kill Kennedy, and that the book which Kilgallen was writing for publication by Random House, following several interviews with Ruby, would have provided shocking disclosures that could not have been left without public awareness and further investigation. He concludes that this was the reason for her murder.

The lecture itself is about 75 minutes, with the remaining time devoted to questions and answers. Powerful stuff.

Hopefully the film based on Shaw's research being developed by the Dowdle Brothers (No Escape; Waco) will refresh the public's interest in the most important crime of the 20th Century and its subsequent coverup. Reported working title Kilgallen, it will be either a feature film or cable presentation.

~Doc