Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to get to a specific page of a thread with many pages? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58097)

Bluxmax 10-19-18 04:20 PM

How to get to a specific page of a thread with many pages?

When examining a thread, if there are multiple pages, there is a box in the upper right corner that enables people to enter a specific page number.

But I was reading through a thread of movie reviews and there are hundreds of pages in that thread. Can anyone please tell me how I can get to a specific page?

For example, yesterday I requested seeing reviews for movies that are rate 4 or more. Turns out there are more than 400 pages. I read through about 50 pages but now I'd like to resume at page number 51. I really would like to avoid paging through the first 50 pages again - one at a time.

Is there an easier way for me to do that?

Also, can anyone pls tell me how those movies are ordered? If they were ordered alphabetically, I could select a movie that begins with the letter "M" or "N" to get to the approximate middle of the list. But as it stands, I'd like to know either how the list is ordered or how I can specify an order so I would have more control over the list and could get to a specific place in the list quickly.

Thank you.

Yoda 10-19-18 05:24 PM

Re: How to get to a specific page of a thread with many pages?

They're ordered by date. I probably should add the ability to filter by more things and/or sort the results, though. Any suggestions for which options you think would be the most helpful?

Citizen Rules 10-19-18 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Bluxmax (Post 1961397)
When examining a thread, if there are multiple pages, there is a box in the upper right corner that enables people to enter a specific page number.

But I was reading through a thread of movie reviews and there are hundreds of pages in that thread. Can anyone please tell me how I can get to a specific page?

For example, yesterday I requested seeing reviews for movies that are rate 4 or more. Turns out there are more than 400 pages. I read through about 50 pages but now I'd like to resume at page number 51. I really would like to avoid paging through the first 50 pages again - one at a time.

Is there an easier way for me to do that?
What I do in that case is I bookmark/save the last page I have read to my computer/device, then when I go to look at it again I can continue where I left off....Or you can type the number of the page you want at the end of the URL like this:

Yoda 10-19-18 08:26 PM

I should/will give you guys more options, but yes, as a stopgap you can just edit the URL. :up:

Bluxmax 10-20-18 12:58 AM

Citizen Rules. That's a very clever adaptation. Talk about thinking out of the box! So many people talk about thinking out of the box. But so few are really able to do that. Thank you very much. :D

Yoda. I will have to think on that some. I'm probably not the best person to give you advice. But if I think of anything, I'll let you know.

Citizen Rules. I edited this post to add that I just realized the address of each page contains the page number as in: page=11.

So, if someone has paged through about 50 pages of a list with 400 pages, they can just go directly to some individual page numbers and in that way, they can can quickly come very close to finding the exact page where they left off. I mention this because it doesn't even require that you had to save the address. You can just go to any page and copy the address and then change the page number and re-enter the address.