Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Freeman vs. Washington vs. Smith (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=53080)

TheBigSick 02-13-18 08:18 AM

Freeman vs. Washington vs. Smith

Who is the greatest African American actor of all time?

Freeman: Driving Miss Daisy, Glory, Seven, Unforgiven, The Shawshank Redemption, Invictus, Million Dollar Baby

Washington: Glory, Training Day, American Gangster, The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, Fences, The Great Debators

Smith: Ali, Independence Day, The Pursuit of Happiness, Men in Black, I Robot, I am Legend, Suicide Squad

The Rodent 02-13-18 08:54 AM

Re: Freeman vs. Washington vs. Smith

I was gonna say Sidney Poitier but he's from the Bahamas.

rauldc14 02-13-18 10:23 AM

Denzel at the top, but Morgan Freeman is also one of my favorites of all time.

Will Smith for me is great too in the sense of mastering the popcorn flick roles. Of course I also thought he was fantastic in Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds.

Siddon 02-13-18 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1867208)
I was gonna say Sidney Poitier but he's from the Bahamas.
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPJ...ZRxm/giphy.gif

Where do you think the Bahamas are and how do you think his ancestors got there

Werislavos 02-13-18 10:31 AM

Denzel

Camo 02-13-18 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1867245)
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPJ...ZRxm/giphy.gif

Where do you think the Bahamas are and how do you think his ancestors got there
It's pretty clear the op is talking about African Americans meaning people from the United States of African descent, as that's traditionally used and going by his examples. The Bahamas is not part of the United States.

Guess he could mean from North America of African descent but it's so rarely used like that and it doesn't match any of his examples. Only he can clarify what he meant but Rodent's thoughts aren't silly there.

Siddon 02-13-18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1867248)
It's pretty clear the op is talking about African Americans meaning people from the United States of African descent, as that's traditionally used and going by his examples. The Bahamas is not part of the United States.

Guess he could mean from North America of African descent but it's so rarely used like that and it doesn't match any of his examples. Only he can clarify what he meant but Rodent's thoughts aren't silly there.
He wasn't born in the Bahamas, his parents were from the Bahamas. He was born in Miami, he worked as a dishwasher in New York City in the 1940's, he fought for the US during WWII.

Yam12 02-13-18 01:22 PM

Freeman

NedStark09 02-13-18 01:27 PM

Freeman voice is such a great part of who he is. Freeman can roll out of bed and give an epic speech about Dental Floss.

NedStark09 02-13-18 01:30 PM

However if we are going greatest African American Actor of all time its a tie between Sidney Poitier or James Earle Jones.

Maaann 02-13-18 04:34 PM

I would say Freeman for Seven and Shawshank Redemption... but I say Washington.

Training Day, John Q, American Gangster, Man on Fire, Flight..... yes Denzel is wonderful!

Marlon Brando 02-13-18 05:41 PM

Denzel.

I think he surpassed Morgan years ago and Will Smith doesn't come close. Sidney Poitier is better than Smith too.

phoenix feathers 02-13-18 06:24 PM

Samuel Jackson is top three instead of Will Smith for me and is the closest to the other two.

1. Freeman
2. Washington
3. Jackson
4. Smith
5. Whitaker

NedStark09 02-13-18 09:43 PM

1 Morgan Freeman
2 Samuel L Jackson
3 Denzal Washington.
4 Edris Elba
5 Will Smith

This would be a list of currently working not all time.

Neesonfan 02-08-20 12:16 AM

For what it's worth, I'm not a big Smith fan acting-wise.

Sam Jackson, Denzel and Freeman are all in my Top 20-25 Performer Actors.

hell_storm2004 02-08-20 04:05 AM

For me putting Freeman with the other two is stretching it. He is a Rolls Royce compared to sports cars. If I had to pick, it would be Freeman by a country mile. Or earth radius... Whatever!

I say if God existed and had a voice, he would sound like Freeman. Bruce Almighty power!!! :king:

One thing about Poitier, is his dialogue delivery. Which I found a little off putting without being annoying. He always seemed like he was stressing his vocal cords to deliver some sort of emotion!

hell_storm2004 02-08-20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by NedStark09 (Post 1867552)
1 Morgan Freeman
2 Samuel L Jackson
3 Denzal Washington.
4 Edris Elba
5 Will Smith

This would be a list of currently working not all time.
Some Elba loving. He is just as good as any of the other two. Just doesn't do a lot of movies this side of the Atlantic! :mad:

Tequila 02-14-20 03:56 PM

Mr Washington all the way for me.