Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Scorpion King (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=2169)

Monkeypunch 04-20-02 09:31 PM

The Scorpion King

I saw this today, and it's pretty fun. It's easily the best movie that stars a pro wrestler, which I know, is not saying much. It's a fairly decent action flick, fans of the Mummy films will like it, fans of the Rock will like it, it's well done lightweight entertainment. Kelly Hu, who plays the sorceress, is hot. That's about it, really. Star Wars promo, Eight Legged Freaks promo (Very Funny), UnderCover Brother promo (made me laugh a lot). The ending doesn't fit with the Mummy Returns very well.

mecurdius 04-22-02 02:43 AM

good action, terrible directing, ok acting... and ohh my god was Kelly Hu HOT!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :love: :love:
this movie is ok for an action film and for a mummy fan, otherwise its really not worth the time, ohh wait nevermind, it is to look at Kelly!!!!!!

filmfreak 04-22-02 11:14 AM

Yeah, saw this on Thursday.

I quite enjoyed it, it was quite good to hear a large portion of the audience laughing out loud at some of the more humorous/ridiculous moments. I mean, you aren't meant to take it too seriously and i honestly believe it was intentionally played for laughs. I was very happy to see that they resisted the temptation of putting the Rock's wrestling moves in this, it could have been very easy, although i'm sure i saw some eyebrow raising in it.

It didnt quite fit in with the whole "scorpion king = evil bloke" that was prevalent in Mummy Returns but i'm sure there'll be a sequel to finish off this story. I think this must have been his rise to power, obviously once he had this he'll turn into an evil bastard. Also I'm not sure the Rock would have wanted his first starring role to be playing an evil bloke (He was only really an incidental character in Mummy Returns).

Michael Clarke Duncan was sorely underused but he seemed to be enjoying himself during the final fight scenes.

Also i wasnt too surprised to see the Executive Producer credit go to Vince McMahon, he has his fingers in far too many pies!

bigvalbowski 04-22-02 11:56 AM

My expectations weren't high. So I was pleasantly surprised.

It was less Mummy and more Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves meets Conan the Barbarian. And it worked. Because The Rock unlike Mr. Costner didn't try the accent. Michael Clarke Duncan should take special credit for beefing up the flimsy script. The man's delivery of dodgy lines is first-rate. He can make cheese into gold. And boy was there a lot of cheese in The Scorpion King's script. Fortunately the direction was better. This is Chuck Russell's best work since the Mask. The film is lightning fast. Action follows Action follows Action. And that's how it should be. It's better than the Mummy movies.

It does two things that The Mummy and its sequel failed to do. It doesn't take itself seriously, not for a second and it knows its special effects are cheesy and it laughs at it - the ants scene is my favourite scene.

The Rock was fun... he can be and should have been goofier though. The infamously titled "comic sidekick" was much funnier than John Hannah's weak interpretation of the role in the first two Mummies. Kelly Hu was pretty but she's no Rachel Weisz. And the bad guy was dull, dull, dull.

Still, it's the start of the Summer Brain-Drains and this one actually delivered. It kicks Planet of the Apes, Tomb Raider and both Mummy movies to the curb. I've got great expectations for this summer and this was a decent way to start.

tiredoftraffic 04-25-02 01:08 AM

So guys, honest answer please - is this movie worth seeing? Everyone tells me the chick in the movie is hot, and that on that merit it's worth seeing. I don't know about sitting through a whole movie with bad script writing for a hot chick - not worth it. But maybe I'm wrong. My brother told me about the ending and I cracked up because it sounded so predictably "Hollywood Heroic." I think the Rock can be a pretty good action hero-type, so I'm curious about the movie. So tell me the truth, yay or nay.

Monkeypunch 04-26-02 10:15 PM

I say go for it. It's fun in a silly, stupid way, like Shwarzennegger movies.

Radical Ed 06-26-02 02:28 AM

This movie was very entertaining.

Its simple, I go to movies to be entertained. This was a very good movie. I especially like Michael Clark Duncan, He is a very good actor. This movie offers comedy, romance, and action. a must see.

The Silver Bullet 06-26-02 05:34 AM

This was a very good movie.
Yes.

:laugh:

Cybernage 06-28-02 06:29 PM

It's easily the best movie that stars a pro wrestler, which I know, is not saying much
What, Rowdy Roddy Piper was by far the best wrestser/actor and his movies were top tier.:eek:

If i can only remember them:laugh:

Yoda 06-28-02 09:17 PM

Re: The Scorpion King

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
It's easily the best movie that stars a pro wrestler, which I know, is not saying much.
Better than Mr. Nanny? I beg to differ. :laugh:

Mary Loquacious 06-28-02 09:32 PM

I dunno... Thunder in Paradise was an amazing film. I laughed, I cried. Mostly cried.

Or I would've, if I'd ever rented it. :D

Rowdy Roddy kicked all kinds of a*s in They Live. :yup:

Monkeypunch 06-30-02 12:55 AM

I totally forgot about that!!! Rowdy Roddy Piper DID stomp a lot of weird alien @ss and came up with a pile of John Carpenter catch phrases in They Live. I laughed like hell through that entire movie. A b-movie classic. I just wish my damn video store had this movie!:furious:

Cybernage 06-30-02 03:51 AM

Im here to chew bubble gum and kick some @ss,
and im all out of bubble gum

liam5000 07-08-02 10:10 AM

liam5000's Scorpion King ReViEw

This has to be the worst filmthat I have seen in a long time!

I don't know about over there in the U.S., but here in Australia (or OSTRALEE-A, as most Americans would say it) we like our films with at least some sort of storyline!

The fact that the leading lady showed some skin doesn't make up for bad acting, and no storyline.

Stars: **

IF YOU ENJOED THIS, YOU SHOULD WATCH-

*The Conan Movies

*The Mummy Movies