Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CD Tab (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=3338)

Monkeypunch 11-29-02 02:36 AM

CD Tab

Okay, we had the movie tab, and the DVD tab, and the Comix tab, so why not a CD tab? What have you recently bought CD-Wise?

Me, I just bought:

The Best of David Bowie - Not much needs to be said here, Bowie is a genius. "Ziggy Stardust" is one of my all time favorite songs...

The Donnas - Spend The Night - Hilariously trashy glam-metal-punk. (This album pretty much makes up for D Generation, the best band in this genre, breaking up....We need more bands like this.)

linespalsy 11-29-02 05:09 AM

recent finds:

klaus nomi-->european opera singer doing synth-pop covers of oldies. what more could you ask for?

shonen knife-->japanese female equivalent of the ramones! "bear up bison, never say die! he's on his way to ex-ti-n-ku-shu-u-n". yeah!

severed heads: since the accident--> rare australian electro-noise-pop-industrial goodness.

severed heads: come visit the big bigot; dead eyes opened-->yay! the severed heads rule. tom elard's solo career is waaaay better than his work with skinny puppy!

tom waits: the bone machine--> i dont wanna grow up! even better than the ramones cover! tom waits is the coolest thing since hillbillies!

tom waits: mule variations--> big in japan, eh?

tom waits: small change--> havent gotten around to listening to this one yet. i'm sure i'll love it when i do.

hmmm, i've gotten others recently, but cant remember what right now......

Naisy 11-29-02 05:17 AM

This should be in the Games, Tabs, Lists forum i reckon but since its here, i should say i supose that a new CD i have is:

Bryan Adams: LIVE LIVE LIVE

and i love it!

Piddzilla 11-29-02 08:04 AM

My most recent purchases:
  • "The Boatman's Call" - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Please, please, please, buy this cd! It's one of the best ever and just so f*cking beautiful...
  • "Burnin'" - The Wailers Great, but not one of their best. Cool bonustracks on this edition though...
  • "Headline News" - Capital Letters British reggae from the '70:s that I discovered in the store. A couple of killertracks but the rest was so so...
  • "Blood On the Tracks" - Bob Dylan A classic. Great lyrics, great melodies and great singing from The Man. His divorce-album, right?
  • "The Freewheelin'" - Bob Dylan Another classic and a must-have for you all. "Blowin' In the Wind", "A Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall", "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright"... Need I say more?
  • "Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac I'm a sucker for good melancholic melodies and there's plenty on this one. Their divorce-album...
  • "In Search of" - N.E.R.D. A bit of a disappointemnt really. "Rock Star" and "Lapdance" could save the night for any crappy dj but the rest is just average, I think. Cool idea though to first make an electronic album and then do the same album again but with "real" instruments. It's heavy!

Henry The Kid 11-30-02 12:01 AM

Recent?

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Blind Melon - Soup
Led Zeppelin - 4 Disc Box set(GREATEST PURCHASE EVER!)
Pearl Jam - Riot Act(Letdown)

Favorites:

Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
Blind Melon - Blind Melon
I, II, III, Zoso, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
Use Your Illusion I, II, and Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Ten - Pearl Jam
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts club Band, The White Album, Revolver - The Beatles
Walking into Clarksdale - Jimmy Page/Robert Plant

Monkeypunch 11-30-02 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Naisy
This should be in the Games, Tabs, Lists forum i reckon
Feel free to move it! I just put it in the TV and Music forum 'cause it seemed to belong there....

Ayways...

New Purchases:

System of a Down - Steal This Album! - 16 tracks that were left off Toxicity, but are good enough to be their own album. This is a must buy for fans of System of a Down and for people who just wanna hear some rock-on music. Most Highly Recommended!!

Kelly Osbourne - Shut Up - This album is a mess. It's amatuerish, the quality varies from song to song, Kelly reaches for notes that just don't exist....and I love it! I love awful rock records like this! It helps if you're a fan of The Osbournes TV show, because non- fans will probably use this CD as a drink coaster.....

Steve 11-30-02 03:00 PM

My last two purchases were on friday - Phrenology by The Roots and Quality by Talib Kweli.

Aniko 11-30-02 03:03 PM

Recent Purchases:

Keiko Matsui– The Ring
George Winston– December (20th Anniversery Edition)
Joe McBride– Texas Rhythm Club

There are other CD's I want for Christmas.

"Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac
Piddzilla...that's one of my all time favorite albums.

Kelly Osbourne -

non- fans will probably use this CD as a drink coaster.....
Monkeypunch...you make me laugh. :laugh:

Holden Pike 11-30-02 08:03 PM

The last CD I bought was Shut Up You Fu*king Baby!, David Cross' stand-up album, all recorded post 9-11-01. Good stuff.

jrs 12-01-02 01:01 AM

Just bought this afternoon -

8 Mile Soundtrack

Monkeypunch 12-02-02 01:52 AM

Smashing Pumpkins - Earphoria. The long awaited soundtrack to the now classic Pumpkins' "Authorized Bootleg" video documentary Viewphoria. Amazing stuff. All that's missing is the silly home movies about the band going to therapy and the segment about The Frogs!

Madonna - Die Another Day - Cd Single. I swear, if Madonna sounded anymore like Bjork, she'd be obligated to move to Iceland. :D Actually, This is probably the first Madonna song I've actually liked in a long time.

Piddzilla 12-02-02 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Aniko
Piddzilla...that's one of my all time favorite albums.

Really? Yeah, it's good, isn't it. It's perhaps not the cd with the highest coolness-factor in my collection, but as I said, I'm a sucker for melodies.

Do you guys have a song that you're almost too embarrassed to admit you love? Me and some of my friends always - ALWAYS - play "Africa" with Toto at four in the morning when we come home from the partying. The harmonies in that song, dude. And the drums and the bass... :love:

Monkeypunch 12-05-02 03:37 AM

Paul McCartney - Back in the U.S., Live 2002. This CD is just awe inspiring. Even now, in his 60's, Sir Paul McCartney does not disappoint. I couldn't get tickets to either of his shows when he came to Boston, but this is almost as good as being there, maybe better, since it seems that every concert I go to, I get beer or something spilled on me. EVERY TIME.:frustrated:

LordSlaytan 12-05-02 05:36 AM

"Oh Danny Boy" has a special place in my heart. :yup:

r3port3r66 12-05-02 01:13 PM

I just recieved Enigma--LSD, a collection of their greatest hits. The "Sadeness" re-mix is awesome.

Nikki 12-07-02 01:27 PM

Bounce..................Bon Jovi
U2 The Best of 1900-2000.........U2

Monkeypunch 12-13-02 02:49 AM

Gorillaz Vs. SpaceMonkeyz - Laika Come Home. Trippy dub remixes of several Gorillaz songs, with a guest appearance by the original singer for the Specials, Terry Hall. It makes me wanna dance. Really.:yup:

Also....

The Streets - Original Pirate Material. I can't even describe how good this is. It's like rap, ska, garage, techno, R&B, and so many other musical styles got into a fight with a snotty kid from the UK, and this is what came out. "Don't Mug Yourself" and "the Irony of it All" are the two best songs of 2002, bar none. Funny stuff, and quite brilliant.

linespalsy 12-19-02 03:25 AM

tom waits -franks wild years

going straight to the top, lol. i just played this cd for someone who said "er, sea shanty's = not my thing." i guess that means they are my thing , cause this cd is great. too much pump organ? no way -can there be such a thing?

Holden Pike 12-19-02 09:30 AM

"Innocent When You Dream" is one of my ten or so favorite Waits songs - though I so adore and respect the man's work a top ten may be an impossible task. Can't say Franks Wild Years would be the first album I'd recommend, but I do love 'em all. Blood Money, one of his two new discs released earlier this year, has already become one of my very, very favorites. Check that one out sometime.

linespalsy 12-19-02 02:32 PM

i'd probably agree with you that franks wild years is not the best introduction to waits. for that i'd go with 'closing time' and 'raindogs'. and yes, 'innocent when you dream' is great (as are just about all of his songs), but my favorites for the album are 'yesterday is here', 'telephone call from istanbul', and 'i'll be gone'. top ten tom waits songs? blasphemy! i could never chose just ten (shoot. it'd be hard for me to chose his 'top ten albums'). i just ripped 13 waits cds to an mp3 file on my hard-drive, so now i can listen to the 200 or so songs i have by him on random play, and i like them all very much. blood money is indeed grand; that was actually the second waits album i bought. it took a while, but alice has also grown on me, now i like it almost as much as blood money. what did you think of alice?

Holden Pike 12-19-02 08:52 PM

I like Alice quite a bit, but I L-O-V-E Blood Money.

Monkeypunch 01-03-03 02:06 AM

Run DMC - Greatest Hits 1983-1993 - Who's House? Run's House! I LOVE this CD. Everyone should get this. They should issue it to you at birth.:D That way, people will grow up with good taste in music.

jrs 01-04-03 02:12 AM

Don 't buy CDs anymore.....burn them or download . :yup:

Piddzilla 01-04-03 06:23 AM

I got Trojan's new cd-edition of The Wailers' "Soul Rebels" for christmas. There's an almost-naked chic with a machine gun on the cover you know. :D

Nikki 01-05-03 09:19 AM

Chili Peppers................By The Way.......

Excellent................even my Dad likes it....!!!!! :laugh:

linespalsy 01-14-03 03:34 AM

here's what i dont got recently:

extremely cool, by chucke e. weiss (lives up to its title, btw)

suicidal tendencies (been eyeing this for a while, just dropped in price)

buzzcocks, singles, going steady

safe as milk, by captain beefheart and his magic band; actually i got this one several years ago and just never really gave it much attention (never caught my fancy); interesting to see how my musical tastes have changed, 3 years ago i prefered the album 'trout mask replica', now 'safe as milk' beats it the pants off of it, by my reconning (not to insuld trout mask replica...).

Naisy 03-05-03 08:27 PM

Hard Rock 2
Top Of The Pops
- Both of these presents, nothing fantastic but at least Hard Rock has [b]Wherever You Will Go[b/] by The Calling

Feel free to move it! I just put it in the TV and Music forum 'cause it seemed to belong there....
Your absolutly right, I dont know why I even said it should be in another forum, I must of eaten something queer that day, whats more, even if I had wanted to move it, I couldnt, im not vested with special powers :D

Yoda 03-28-03 06:58 PM

Believe it or not, I went out and picked up Linkin Park's Meteora today.

Monkeypunch 03-29-03 01:00 AM

The Libertines - Up the Bracket. Fun, sloppy garage rock/punk band from London. Fans of the Strokes or Richard Hell should love this.

Chicago (movie soundtrack). This is very cool (who knew Richard Gere could sing?) but the last two songs, the "rap" version of "Cell Block Tango," and "Love Is a Crime," suck on toast. Who needed pop songs? I didn't.

Thursday - Full Collapse. It's like a fight between The Cure, the Smiths, and Nirvana. I love this band.

Piddzilla 03-29-03 06:51 AM

I bought Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' new one "Nocturna" the other day. It's not close to my favourite, "The Boatman's Call", but there are some good ones on it.

MyRobotSuit 03-29-03 09:02 AM

I just got Cat Power - You Are Free, it's fantastic, Pidd, you would really like it if you haven't heard it already. hmm time to bring to life that music thread again eh?

Piddzilla 04-15-03 09:27 AM

What the hell? I thought I'd responded to this about Cat Power but apparantly I hadn't. Weird.... I saw her on Letterman and she was great. When I get my new pc I will start downloading like a raner in the slaner.

Now, to the real reason to why I'm writing here.

Today I bought The Jayhawks' new cd, "Rainy Day Music", and... I mean, I have just listened to the first few tracks on it, but... IT'S SO ****ING GREAT!!!! I know everybody who like alternative country, folk-pop or very 60's inspired pop/rock will love this! Think The Byrds, Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Ryan Adams, CSN&Y and mabye you get a picture of what this masterpiece sounds like. You might wanna think that "ooh, just another retro thing - don't need that" but YOU'RE WRONG!!! This, my friends, is timeless music, just like all great music of all times. It's not very often that I'm sold after hearing a song the first time, but the two opening tracks had that effect on me. Let's see, they're called: "Stumbling Through the Dark" and "Tailspin".

Man, this, in spite of the title, will be the cd of the summer.....

CHECK IT OUT!!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Piddzilla 04-15-03 09:33 AM

BTW.. Sorry for double-posting but since I mentioned Letterman; hats off to him for having Dixie Chicks on his show during a time when a big part of USA is boycotting them for speaking out their mind.

jrs 04-15-03 11:02 AM

I rarely buy buy CDs anymore as ya'll know......thpough I just HAD] to buy the Phone Booth score. Never heard anything so amazing. :D

Yoda 04-15-03 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Piddzilla
BTW.. Sorry for double-posting but since I mentioned Letterman; hats off to him for having Dixie Chicks on his show during a time when a big part of USA is boycotting them for speaking out their mind.
You don't think that's a little misleading? Lots of people speak out their mind. People boycotted them because they didn't like what they have to say. They were speaking their mind in response to the Dixie Chicks speaking theirs. It's free speech on part of both the protested AND the protester. I think people forget that.

Monkeypunch 04-15-03 10:53 PM

Liam Lynch - Fake Songs. Liam Lynch is my new God.:laugh: He's the creator of Sifl and Olly, he's directed a video for Tenacious D, and now he's put out the funniest CD I've ever heard. (For a really weird mind-warping time, watch the DVD that comes with it. :eek: :laugh: :eek: ) Best track: The Happy Song.

"I am really special 'cause there's only one of me,
Look at my smile, I'm so damn happy,
other people are jealous of me,

When I'm sad and lonely, I like to sing this song,
it cheers me up and shows me
that I won't be sad for long
oh oh oh

I'm so happy I can barely breathe,
Puppy dogs, and sugar frogs,
and kitten's baby teeth

Watch out all you mothers
I'm happy, it's hardcore,
Happy as a coupon for a 20 dollar whore
ha ha ha

I am really happy, I'm sugar-coated me,
"happy good, anger bad," that's my philosophy
(I can't do this, man, I'm not happy...)

I am really special 'cause there's only one of me,
Look at my smile, I'm so damn happy,
other people are jealous of me,

These are my love handles,
and this is my spout,
But if you tip me over,
"momma said knock you out!"

I am special, I am happy,
I am gonna heave
Welcome to my happy world,
now get your sh*t and leave,

I am happy, I am good...
(I'm OUTTA here!....SCREW YOU!!!)

Piddzilla 07-16-03 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda
You don't think that's a little misleading? Lots of people speak out their mind. People boycotted them because they didn't like what they have to say. They were speaking their mind in response to the Dixie Chicks speaking theirs. It's free speech on part of both the protested AND the protester. I think people forget that.
I can't understand how I could miss this response....

Radio stations aren't "people" and I am glad, even though I am a little surprised too, that the US senate realizes that this is uncool too. It's not like there was an individual dj that decided he didn't want to play this group - it was big corporations with their bosses deciding what their dj's couldn't play.

Steve 07-16-03 02:37 PM

Yesterday I picked up the new DJ Vinny Vicious, the last Camron album, Marilyn Manson's new album, and Diplomatic Immunity by the Diplomats.

Uh huh.

Monkeypunch 07-17-03 12:09 AM

The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin :up: :up:

jrs 07-17-03 12:12 AM

A while back I got Weird Al Yankovic's new album "Poodle Hat" :laugh: All Al's fansshould definitely check it out. Trust me.

MyRobotSuit 07-17-03 11:29 AM

Ah quite recently I've bought:

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Sigur Ros - ()

hmm the other music thread needs to be brought back, that was cool.

Monkeypunch 07-23-03 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by MinionTV
hmm the other music thread needs to be brought back, that was cool.
Which one? Cause I'm quite the music nut, and would love to be in on whatever musical discussions that go on! :yup:

Henry The Kid 07-23-03 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Which one? Cause I'm quite the music nut, and would love to be in on whatever musical discussions that go on! :yup:

Hmm, the most recent CD I have bought is The Soft Bulletin, which holds a quote in your profile. What a coincidence.

Piddzilla 07-28-03 08:21 PM

Henry, I like your signature. I saw this true masterpiece again today. It gets better for every time I see it.

The last cd I bought is a Horace Andy compilation called Skylarking. Horace Andy is a jamaican reggae singer with an incredible vibrato that moved to New York in the 70's and who had a revival in the 90's thanks to his collaboration with british trip hop pioneers Massive Attack. This compilation is a great introduciton to the man and Horace Andy is a must-have for all reggae-lovers and fans of good soul music in general. Great voice.

When I'm at it I would also like to recommend a fantastic female reggae singer from the Virgin Islands called Dezarie. I bought her new album Gracious Mama Africa about a month ago and was totally blown away. There is hope for new roots reggae after all. Then I bought her debut album from 2001 called Fya as well. It's also good but not as good as the new one that has better melodies and stronger songs in general. The heavy band Midnite backs Dezarie up on both albums and they do it great.

Monkeypunch 07-29-03 01:50 PM

Just got KISS Alive IV: KISS Symphony. It's so overblown and pompous that I love it. Imagine the worlds dumbest rock band backed by a full orchestra, as well as a children's choir. Funny stuff, and it rocks hard. Only complaint: The Accoustic set on disc one, which features all the lame KISS power Ballads, nearly ruins it for me. But the rare live version of the 1980's non-makeup era song Lick It Up makes it all better, as does the full orchestral God of Thunder! ( :eek: ) If you love KISS, you will love this.

Monkeypunch 07-30-03 10:03 PM

AAAARRRGGGHH! Double Post!!! But I had to post about this new CD I got last night, which I totally :love: .

Mad Brilliant, the debut album from a band called Ghost of The Robot. It's good. Really Good. Their sound is all over the place, from Bob Dylan, to Weezer, to early Elvis Costello. Trivia bit: Ghost of The Robot's lead singer is James Marsters, who used to play Spike on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Unlike most actors turned musicians, Marsters is actually an accomplished musician, and isn't using his status as a tv star to promote this. The Cd is almost impossible to find in stores. (Much thanks to Amy at work for finding this.)

MyRobotSuit 08-04-03 11:03 AM

Mad Brilliant, the debut album from a band called Ghost of The Robot
yes, I've heard of the band. They played the cavern club here quite recently I think.

Anyway I got 2 albums recently. I thought I ought to get into neil young so I got After the Goldrush and Harvest. We'll see if I come to like them........

Piddzilla 08-04-03 02:26 PM

Just got KISS Alive IV: KISS Symphony. It's so overblown and pompous that I love it. Imagine the worlds dumbest rock band backed by a full orchestra, as well as a children's choir. Funny stuff, and it rocks hard. Only complaint: The Accoustic set on disc one, which features all the lame KISS power Ballads, nearly ruins it for me. But the rare live version of the 1980's non-makeup era song Lick It Up makes it all better, as does the full orchestral God of Thunder! ( :eek: ) If you love KISS, you will love this.
Kiss was the first band I really REALLY loved. But, man, this album only strenghten my opinion that they should have put this band to rest a long time ago. I have to admit that I never made it to the last set of songs, but for a guy that thinks Rock And Roll Over kicks Destroyer's ass and that Ace is the only really cool member (missing on this CD), this is not much to hang in the christmas tree as we say in Sweden. CD-wise, I don't think they have made anything close to rocking after the Unplugged CD.

Anyway I got 2 albums recently. I thought I ought to get into neil young so I got After the Goldrush and Harvest. We'll see if I come to like them........
:love: Now we're talking!!! Two of his best albums too, if I may say so. You know, he has just released four of "the missing six" on CD, of which On The Beach is a must-have. Together with Tonight's the Night probably his darkest album. And one of his best too. Did you get Unplugged yet?? :confused:

MyRobotSuit 08-04-03 02:40 PM

Did you get Unplugged yet??
Nope, not as yet pid. I thught I'd better listen to a couple of his main albums first to see if I got a taste and I have. I absolutly love the song After the Goldrush, it's amazing. Have you heard Thom Yorke's version of it? I might post a link if you haven't. Off the Harvest album, I really like the songs Words and Out On the Weekend.

Other albums I have got recently

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Mogwai - Come On Die Young

Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy - Live '95-'96

pixies - doolittle

massive attack - blue lines

Piddzilla 08-04-03 02:57 PM

Nope, not as yet pid. I thught I'd better listen to a couple of his main albums first to see if I got a taste and I have. I absolutly love the song After the Goldrush, it's amazing. Have you heard Thom Yorke's version of it? I might post a link if you haven't. Off the Harvest album, I really like the songs Words and Out On the Weekend.

Other albums I have got recently

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Mogwai - Come On Die Young

Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy - Live '95-'96

pixies - doolittle

massive attack - blue lines
Hmmm... I haven't heard that version of Thom Yorke - but I can imagine that it is haunting with that incredible voice. I think that Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris have made a good version of it too.

My two favourite albums with Neil (at the moment anyway) are Rust Never Sleeps and Unplugged. "Rust" has some of my favourite songs on it, like Powderfinger (Cowboy Junkies made a great version of it!) and Thrasher, not to mention Hey Hey My My (Into the Black). Unplugged is so great because it covers his whole career, from Buffalo Springfield over CSN&Y and his solo career up to the Harvest Moon album, beautifully. The choice of songs is excellent! And the way he executes them is trully amazing. But you have to like Neil acoustic style of course.

Monkeypunch 08-04-03 03:49 PM

Just got:

Mudhoney - My Brother the Cow and Piece of Cake. raw early/mid 90's rawk with a mean streak and plenty of sick humor. I truly believe that Mudhoney was the best band of the 1990's. My Brother The Cow is like required listening for anyone who grew up in that era. It skewers alt-rock poster boys, crazed Right To Life terrorists, and Courtney Love mercilessly, and it's good for a (vindictive) laugh.

Aniko 08-04-03 05:31 PM

I just bought a bunch for our vacation next week to get us rocking down the highway.

Aretha Franklin ~Aretha's Best
Cameo ~The 12" Collection and More

The Best of Simon and Garfunkle
The Best of Kansas
The Judds Greatest Hits
Queen ~ Greatest Hits

and
The Donna Summer Anthology:D

Edit: I forgot Queen when I first posted.

Henry The Kid 08-09-03 08:08 PM

Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation
Talking Heads-More Songs About Buildings and Food

Yoda 08-09-03 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aniko
Queen ~ Greatest Hits
Oooh, I bought that almost exactly a year ago. I dig it. :yup:

jrs 08-10-03 12:55 AM

Bad Boys II Soundtrack

MyRobotSuit 08-27-03 01:21 PM

I just got Neil Youngs 'Rust Never Sleeps'.

Pidd, why is the first track 'My My, Hey Hey' and the louder version called "Hey Hey My My" ?

I'm getting quite annoyed at my music collection as most are 'best ofs' and 'greatest hits' and 'complete singles'. I need to be listening to the albums as were intended and not snapshots of their careers. I was going to buy Neil Youngs Best Of but thought better of it as I'd miss alot of good songs out.

Piddzilla 08-27-03 01:37 PM

I just got Neil Youngs 'Rust Never Sleeps'.

Pidd, why is the first track 'My My, Hey Hey' and the louder version called "Hey Hey My My" ?
Because the lyrics differ a little.

The first and the last verse in the electric version are the same:

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
It's more to the picture
than meets the eye
Hey hey, my my
That is also the last verse in the acoustic version. But the first verse of My My, Hey Hey goes like this:

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
than to fade away
My my, hey hey
The second verse in the different versions differ a little too. In the acoustic version he sings:

Out of the blue and into the black
They give you this, but you pay for that
and in the electric version:

Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this, but they give you that
Then the third verse. Acoustic:

The king is gone but he's not forgotten
This is the story of Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out than it is to rust
Electric:

This is the story of Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps

Besides that I guess they are the same. :D

Great song on a great album by one of the greatest. :yup:

MyRobotSuit 08-27-03 01:43 PM

wow, thanks for that!

MyRobotSuit 08-27-03 01:48 PM

Just out of major interest Pidd, what Neil Young albums do you own?

Could you give me a brief description of them so I could look out for the 'good' ones?

Henry The Kid 08-27-03 02:02 PM

My Bloody Valentine-Loveless

I haven't listened to it yet, but if there is one album that I have ever felt was talked up too much, it's this one. I'll see just what's so great about it soon.

MyRobotSuit 08-27-03 02:11 PM

I've heard a few people go on about that Henry, let me know how it is, will ya?

Revenant 08-27-03 02:14 PM

Recent buys/presents..........

Pink: Can't take me home

LOTR: TTT: Original Motion Picture soundtrack

System of a Down: Untitled

Rolling Stones: Forty Licks

Good Charlotte: The Young and the Hopeless

....and I've also recently found the soundtrack for 'GOOD MORNING VIETNAM' and a 'BLUES BROTHERS' album hidden amongst some older CD's.

Piddzilla 08-27-03 03:19 PM

Just out of major interest Pidd, what Neil Young albums do you own?

Could you give me a brief description of them so I could look out for the 'good' ones?
Oh brother, don't get me started.... ;)

The albums I own:

"Neil Young" (1969) A pretty cool, slightly psychedelic rock debut but not very "youngish" really.

"Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" (1969) His first together with Crazy Horse and a damn fine one. Real cool electric country-colored 60's rock with some long instrumental parts. Got some of my favourite Young tracks on it like the title song. I think it is a must-have.

"After the Goldrush" (1970) His breakthrough a lot thanks to his collaboration with Crosby, Stills & Nash during the same time. Is the favourite of a lot of fans, I guess, and I love it too. Pretty mellow and acoustic but of course with some great electric escapades. Must-have.

"Harvest" (1972) His biggest hit up to date including his only No 1 single, "Heart of Gold", and probably one of my absolute favourites. Influenced of course by a lot of country and folk but still with that screaming guitar not far away. This is an album that is a must-have not only for Neil fans.

"Journey Through the Past" (1972 - I think) A rare album with some outtakes and live versions and stuff like that. Nothing essential.

"On the Beach" (1974) A great album and one of his darkest. Heroin and bad back-pains resulted in an album with songs like: "See The Sky About to Rain", "Revolution Blues", "Vampire Blues" and "Ambulance Blues". I think this is a must-have and it has just been released on CD after having been available only on vinyl ever since it was released.

"Tonight's the Night" (1975) Another dark masterpiece. More heroin and darkness and the dealing with the death of friends and band members. It is a very raw album. Young kept it un-mixed to keep it that way and it has some really haunting moments. "Albuquerque" is one of my fav songs.

"Zuma" (1975) The first album with the Crazy Horse line up that remains intact to this date. Got some real great songs on it, like "Don't Cry No Tears" and "Cortez the Killer". Electric but always with one foot in the folk/country genre.

"American Stars'n'Bars" (1977) Good but uneven. Got great tracks on it like "Star of Bethlehem" (w. Emmylou Harris), "Will to Love" and the amazing "Like a Hurricane". Another "only on vinyl" that has just been released on cd. You should get it!

"Comes a Time" (1978) A kind of overlooked album with great songs like "Look Out For My Love". As so many times before, pretty acoustic and countryish but with electricity not far away in the sound picture.

"Rust Never Sleeps" (1979) One of my top 3. I love it. It got the best A-side ever (if you listen to the LP) with five amazing acoustic tracks. Then the B-side has two real crappy songs: "Sedan Delivery" and "Welfare Mothers", but two classics too: "Powderfinger (my number one favourite and the absolute last song on the concert I saw a couple of years ago :bawling: ) and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)". You got it.... Good for you!

"Live Rust" (1979) The tour that resulted in "Rust Never Sleeps", or however it was now again. Hmmm... Well anyway... Great live album.

"Old Ways" (1985) A decent pure country album from the eighties. If you don't like country at all - don't get it. I think it has its moments.

"Freedom" (1989) Another decent album, kind of 80's rock stylish, with some good ones on it. "Keep On Rockin' In the Free World" was the song that made me get into Young. I saw him play it with Pearl Jam on the MTV Music Awards in 1993 (I think) and I still hold that as the best live performance I have ever seen on tv.

"Ragged Glory" (1990) Kind of a comeback for him since being kind of lost in syntheseizers and conservatism ;) in the 80's. Together with Crazy Horse he produced a rocking electric mature rock album with some cool songs on it. "The Godfather of Grunge" was beginning to emerge.

"Harvest Moon" (1992) An attempt to make another "Harvest" with the same musicians but not even close. Got some good ones on it though, but not really essential if you ask me. Acoustic, laid back and always with coutnry in the background.

"Unplugged" (1993) Probably my favourite if I had to pick one. Excellent choice of songs and so beautiful performed. He picks from his entire career all the way back from the days with Buffalo Springfield and includes CSN&Y too. All the "Harvest Moon" tracks featured on here are better than the studio versions too. I love it so much! It should be present in every man and woman's cd collection. Of course it only shows his acoustic side but it is still a great introduction to the man and his work. And it shows what an amazing nerve and presence he has on stage as well.

"Sleeps With Angels" (1993) Considered to be a really good one by many but I never got into it really. Can't say too much about it because I haven't listened to it that much. It is together with Crazy Horse with should be a sign of some real loud guitars. It is electric but kind of quiet too, but of course with some wild songs as well.

"Mirrorball" (1995) The album he made together with Pear Jam. I think I read that they wrote it and recorded it in like a week and you can tell. The quality of the songs are pretty uneven and it gets kind of monotonous after a while. But it still has some really really great songs on it like "I'm the Ocean". Great back up vox by Eddie Vedder.

"Broken Arrow" (1996) The last "new" one I got before I kind of stopped caring about his newer stuff. It features what, to me, is Crazy Horse at its worse, i.e. when they go on and on one one single chord for about ten minutes. But the album has one song that makes it worth buying. The wonderful opening track "Big Time". It has one of the most simple yet beautiful chorus lines ever written:

I'm still living the dream we had
For me it's not over

You have to hear it and understand who is actually singing it to feel the melancholy.

Oh right, he released "Silver and Gold" a couple of years ago and that one is great too although I don't own it myself. Kind of another attempt to make a new "Harvest" and this time a lot more successful than "Harvest Moon". Acoustic "folky" mature rock at its best. A lot of reflections and references to his career. Or what do you say about a song title like "Buffalo Springfield Again"? ;D

I also own the first self-titled Buffalo Springfield album which is ok. It has some Young tracks on it but he only sings two of them himself. It is a lot of harmony vocals, kind of like Byrds. The biggest hit on it is Stephen Stills' "For What It's Worth" that I am sure everybody has heard sometime.

You should also check the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young albums out as well as the other Buffalo Springfields. They got some great Young classics on them.

In short, the entire 70's catalogue is a must-have. Really. There' s no way around it. After that you just have to see for yourself, but the 70's albums are proof of why he is considered one of the truly great singer/songwriters. Very very highclass material and influenced bands in his own and our time as hell. So, you could pretty much buy any of the 70's albums without being disappointed, I dare promise you.

Enjoy the adventure.

MyRobotSuit 08-27-03 04:31 PM

Many, many thanks for that Pidd. You are a groovy guy.

Regarding mr.Young. I've always got confused with 'Harvest' and 'Harvest Moon', why similar names?

Pidd, I'm making a new thread called "Albums You Must Own!" so walk in there and give me a hand!

Piddzilla 08-27-03 05:03 PM

Regarding mr.Young. I've always got confused with 'Harvest' and 'Harvest Moon', why similar names?
It's because "Harvest Moon" is like a sequel to "Harvest". The same musicians and I guess (even though I haven't checked) maybe some connections lyrics-wise.

projectMayhem 09-03-03 09:30 PM

I've most recently purchased:

the Underworld soundtrack - pretty cool mix of hard rock with darker slower paced songs, plus a great David Bowie song with Maynard James Keenan.

Vendetta Red - Between the Never and the Now - very disappointing, I had high hopes for this cd.

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen - one word AWESOME! I love this cd, it is now one of favorites.

linespalsy 09-12-03 01:18 AM

just moved into a new place and only bothered to bring some 22 cds, evenly divided between old essentials and stuff i havent listened to enough of yet, need to familiarize myself with my collection.

ones i couldnt go without were:

foetus - hole
tom waits - rain dogs
einsturzende neubauten - halber mensch
the handsome family - through the trees
the pogues - rum, sodomy and the lash + if i should fall from grace with god
geinoh yamashirogumi - ecophony rinne
orthodox celts - green roses

here're the ones i brought that i intend to get into before i bring any more down to the new place:

le mystere des voix bulgares [bulgarian womens choir]
gun club - miami + death party
100 flowers - their complete songlist as far as i know
the handsome family - twilight
suicide - second album
talking heads - 77
roy orbison - greatest hits
coil - horse rotovatr
yello - solid pleasure + one second
tom waits - alice
captain beefheart and his magic band - safe as milk
the residents - eskimo
nick cave and the bad seeds - your funeral my trial

some of those are recent aquisitions, others are older.

Nikki 09-12-03 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by linespalsy

nick cave and the bad seeds - your funeral my trial
one for the collection.............. :D

linespalsy 09-12-03 03:49 PM

Cameo ~The 12" Collection and More
word up, aniko.:p

Originally Posted by Nikki
one for the collection.............. :D
like nick cave, nikki? i've had this cd for about 4 years and only listened to it maybe 4 times in all that time. i figure maybe i'll give it another shot now. one thing that draws me to it is it's got blixa bargeld on guitar. dont know if you're familiar with bargeld outside of his work with nick cave but he's the frontman of long-running german industrial/noise band, einsturzende neubauten. might sound kind of hard to get into like that, but they have a good deal of stuff that's quite accessible, especially some of their newer albums, like ende neu [which is on the 'nothing' label, so should be fairly available], and one of their most recent, 'silence is sexy'. not sure how much that might interest you but if you like nick cave's stuff you might at least check for these two recent ones.

as for 'your funeral my trial', i've listened to it a bit this last week and so far the title track is good and i like jack's shadow, but the one that really sticks with me is 'the carny'.

Mairosu 09-12-03 06:29 PM

Courtesy of Linespalsy, I got a backlog of 20ish discs to listen to. So far, I'm getting along great with Hole and Deaf by Foetus, and Mule Variations, Small Change and Blue Valentine by Tom Waits.

Other than that, I'm listening to Black Flag - Damaged, Dead Kennedys - Mutiny on the Bay ! Live from Bay Area and Ramones - It's Alive, which is always right next to me in cases of emergency.

Nikki 09-13-03 11:30 AM

like nick cave, nikki?
oh yeah....... :yup:

Have you heard the cd........Murder Ballads..............ok death and violence have always haunted his music, even when he wasn't explicitly singing about the subject........... On the Murder Ballads cd, he sings about nothing but death in the most grusome, shocking fashion........only the the way he could - awash in both morbid humor and sobering horror..............................he oozes mystique............he is very under-rated......

Mairosu 09-13-03 01:11 PM

Cave underrated ? Maybe in the US, he's very respected and well liked over here.

Piddzilla 09-13-03 07:53 PM

I have to say that The Boatman's Call is one of the best albums ever made. It's absolutely on my Top 20 cd:s list. :yup:

People Ain't No Good is one of the most beautiful and saddest songs I have ever heard. All the songs on the album are superb, but that one just breaks my heart every time.

I bought Cave's lates one.. What is it... Nocturna? I think it was so so.

linespalsy 09-14-03 12:49 AM

i havent heard too much, nikki. or more acurately, i've heard a great deal but cant really name most of them as they were just being played by freinds who were trying to get me into it at the time, and for the most part it never made much of an impression. the album most of my friends say to get is 'from her to eternity'.

thus far the majority of cave's stuff hasnt grabbed me, but i've found a handful of songs that i think are really amazing [my favorite being 'dianna', which i have on a best of - back home], so i'm giving him another chance.

i also have a birthday party cd that i didnt bring when i left, that i remember liking a little bit more a few times when i listened to it again recently. i think it's 'prayers on fire'.
i'll keep 'murder ballads' and 'boatman's call' in mind, thank you.

listening to your funeral...my trial again right now and it's pretty good but largely unmemorable thus far.

i've been listening to the talking heads - 77 a little bit today and it's slowly starting to grow on me. much of it is still hard to place but there are a few songs around the middle-end that really stand out so far. 'no compassion', 'the book i read', and 'dont worry about the government' are the ones that are starting to define the album for me now, with the most noticable hooks. up til now the only one i'd really listened to the album for was 'psycho killer'.
anyone else have thoughts on this interesting album?

Nikki 09-14-03 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Cave underrated ? Maybe in the US, he's very respected and well liked over here.
In Australia he is under-rated......... :(

Mairosu 09-14-03 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I bought Cave's lates one.. What is it... Nocturna? I think it was so so.
I think it's Nocturama. I was subjected to the full 13 minute version of "Baby I'm on Fire", I wanted to beat my head against the wall around 10th minute.

Piddzilla 09-14-03 11:01 AM

That song he did with Chris Bailey is cool though (the video is hillarious) and the first one is good too.

projectMayhem 09-20-03 08:58 AM

Just got the new Thursday CD "War All the Time"
its really good.

projectMayhem 09-26-03 03:48 PM

From Autumn to Ashes - The Fiction We Live - more melodic and less "hardcore" than their last cd, which I think is a very good thing because the melodic parts work just as well if not better than the hardcore parts.

Story of the Year - Page Avenue - better than expected. A lot like The Used but less annoying.

Billy Talent - AWESOME! fans of the Living End will probably like this band b/c the lead singer sounds very similar to theirs. His singing style is very erratic though, but very cool.

Monkeypunch 09-27-03 01:28 AM

Weezer - The Blue album. Yeah, I'm like almost ten lears late on this one, but I am so loving this cd. I am proudly out of date....

SystemicAnomaly 09-30-03 08:22 PM

i recently purchased Obie Trice Cheers

great cd, awesome all the way through, he has a lot of talent.

and.. Limpbizkit Results May Vary

i listened to the first song, realized i bought the edited version, and have been too pissed to listen to the rest of the cd. :furious:

linespalsy 10-09-03 01:44 AM

Weezer - The Blue album. Yeah, I'm like almost ten lears late on this one, but I am so loving this cd. I am proudly out of date....
music sucks now.
why not catch up with "old" stuff.

weezer didnt quite catch my fancy as of yet.

the the - 45 rpm
the breeders - last splash
coil - scatology
shane macgowan and the popes - snake

projectMayhem 10-10-03 01:49 PM

311 - self titled, and Grassroots

Monkeypunch 10-11-03 01:01 AM

music sucks now.
why not catch up with "old" stuff.

weezer didnt quite catch my fancy as of yet.

the breeders - last splash

shane macgowan and the popes - snake
You are very right. and both of those albums you mention are seriously great. Listen to The Breeders - POD. It is genius.

and Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is me and my girl's song, so that's why the sudden Weezer fixation. :D It was playing on the radio when we both first realized we liked each other. The lyrics fit us almost too well.

"I don't care what they say about us anyway,
I don't care about that."

New CD's:

Radiohead - Hail to the Theif
The Hives - Barely Legal

projectMayhem 10-12-03 04:01 PM

Cold - Year of the Spider
Static-X - Shadow Zone
Incubus - Morning View

projectMayhem 10-13-03 05:24 PM

CKY - Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild

Piddzilla 10-13-03 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
CKY - Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild
Is it any good? I have heard several songs from their debut cd and they are really good at times.

projectMayhem 10-13-03 05:58 PM

Yeah, I like it. It really is kind of strange sounding though. All the moogs they use give it a real dirty sound which is cool.

SystemicAnomaly 10-13-03 10:41 PM

i downloaded Chingy Jackpot the other day. its pretty good.

projectMayhem 10-13-03 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
i downloaded Chingy Jackpot the other day. its pretty good.
Legally?

projectMayhem 10-24-03 01:10 AM

Mushroomhead XIII - very good. Perfect cd for Halloween time.

Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3 - really strange title but very cool.

Something Corporate North - great evolution of this band, much more mature and a better showcase of the piano sound.

jrs 10-25-03 12:41 AM

Kill Bill: Volume One Soundtrack

projectMayhem 11-09-03 12:37 AM

Rx Bandits The Resignation - brilliant, absolutelt brilliant punk/ska/experiment album. Fast, groovy, and thought provoking. Awesome!

Anberlin Blueprint for the Black Market - Great pop-rock band. If your in the mood for some good old fashioned rock then check them out. I have a feeling I'm gonna be listening to this for a long time.

Monkeypunch 11-16-03 08:53 PM

The Dead Milkmen, Now We Are 20 - Okay, this "new" cd just re-issues the infamous DM fanclub releases "Now We Are 10," "Funky Barn," "Death Rides A Pale Cow," and "The Dead Milkmen Take The Airwaves," But it's the first time this stuff has been released on CD, so I had to buy it. It reminds me why I liked the band in the first place. It's rude, offensive, some of it is barely competent, and it flies in the face of everything uptight and corporate, even 20 years later. (Plus, the truly AWFUL attempt to play the Specials' "A message to You Rudy" is brilliant in it's failure.)

Aladinsane 11-18-03 09:33 PM

'12 Memories' - Travis
'Everything To Everyone' - Barenaked Ladies
'Phantom Power' - Super Furry Animals
'Permission To Land' - The Darkness
'Blonde On Blonde' (Remastered) - Bob Dylan
'Highway 61 Revisited' (Remastered) - Bob Dylan

I went on a bit of a spree, it felt good! :D

Naisy 12-16-03 10:39 AM

So Fresh Summer Hits of 2003

Innocent Eyes - Delta Goodrem

Monkeypunch 12-16-03 11:03 AM

Okay, got a few new cds:

Blink 182 - no title - I kinda liked this, but I may have to listen to it a few more times before I make a judgement. "Feeling This" is a great song, though.

The Distillers - Coral Fang - OMG, I hated this weak-@ss sell out of a cd. Going back to the store.

Rage Against The Machine - Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium - We have a winner! This is really an awesome CD. A must listen to.

MyRobotSuit 01-05-04 01:31 PM

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

David Bowie - Low

Doves - Lost Souls

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Henry The Kid 01-05-04 03:08 PM

The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Piddzilla 01-05-04 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Have you heard The Boatman's Call with them?