Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58710)

MovieBuffering 01-27-19 03:48 AM

Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-2020-1179373

Finally news on Nolan's new project. Just described an event film but we have a date. I'll always be front row for his flicks. Any ideas what the movie is or what you would like it to be? I'd love to see him tackle a Western. 🤷

gandalf26 01-27-19 04:06 AM

Re: Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

Rumour is its a Rom Com starring Christian Bale

doubledenim 01-27-19 06:52 AM

Is it news?

Siddon 01-27-19 09:58 AM

Oh does Christopher Nolan have fans on the internet and are people interested in his films.

Iroquois 01-27-19 10:21 AM

It's already in the IMDb Top 250.

Saunch 01-27-19 11:04 AM

I’ll just quote myself:

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1985601)
”laconic white intelectual with a troubled past involving a pale brunette”

Yoda 01-27-19 12:14 PM

Interesting that it's a little over a year from release with no information.

I take "event film" as a reassurance, IE: "don't worry, he's not doing anything too dramatic or overtly personal, he's doing another Cool Movie." Which I'm fine with. However strong his brand is, it's a brand I still like and the films are always exceptionally well-made. I increasingly think that artists broadening their horizons is kind of overrated.

Cynema De Bergerac 01-27-19 12:28 PM

"Nolan's Knight Rises".

It will be a documentary about Nolan's struggle with erectile dysfunction. At the end, he will reveal his restored erection power.

Swan 01-27-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1985652)
I increasingly think that artists broadening their horizons is kind of overrated.
Why?

Yoda 01-27-19 01:15 PM

Because I think when they venture off into new areas, it usually results in a loss of quality. Which makes sense, since they're doing something they have a lot less experience with, as opposed to the thing they've already been doing well enough to achieve success.

As time goes on and I see more films, I find myself appreciating the Tarantinos and Wes Andersons of the world more and more for having a distinct style and continually producing work within it. It feels like there's a weird, irrational stigma attached to being stylistically predictable. There's an insinuation that if you notice a pattern in someone's filmography, it represents a failing or thoughtlessness, as opposed to an expression of an archetype or a persistent exploration of an idea. But nobody looks at historical art this way. Nobody says "yeah, Picasso's great, but why didn't he ever get into pointillism?" If the Internet had been around in the 19th century, would people have been sarcastically saying things like "great, another Manet. Let me guess, you can see all the brush strokes"?

I think there's a very deep-seeded cultural bias, probably a product of both our political and economic systems, that disproportionately favors dynamism over focus and unpredictability over mastery.

Yoda 01-27-19 01:16 PM

Random personal example, but I really love the band Spoon. Loved a whole bunch of their albums in a row, all of them great. Then they said they were trying something new with their latest, and of course, I didn't like it nearly as much, because they were doing less of the things that specifically made me love them in the first place. Still good, but I haven't liked any of their work since as much as I did before. And I wonder if artists do this out of insecurity, to avoid being pigeonholed, or even just out of boredom.

Citizen Rules 01-27-19 01:57 PM

I just hope Nolan's new movie isn't 3 hours long. He tends to make long movies and the extra run time often takes the film down a notch for me.

Iroquois 01-28-19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1985652)
Interesting that it's a little over a year from release with no information.

I take "event film" as a reassurance, IE: "don't worry, he's not doing anything too dramatic or overtly personal, he's doing another Cool Movie." Which I'm fine with. However strong his brand is, it's a brand I still like and the films are always exceptionally well-made. I increasingly think that artists broadening their horizons is kind of overrated.
Eh, it's Christopher Nolan. Practically every film he's done since Batman Begins manages to be an "event film" by default no matter how dramatic or personal or "cool" it is.

Yoda 01-28-19 09:47 AM

I might be wrong, but I specifically take it as an assurance that it's not like Dunkirk.

gandalf26 01-28-19 10:23 AM

We've had the war movie, couple of Sci fi, comic book series, period piece ( prestige), murder mystery so what's next?

I heard he was interested in Howard Hughes a while back, could team up with Di Caprio again and do an Aviator sequel which I would love to see.

Horror?

Saunch 01-28-19 11:12 AM

There’s a rumor going around that it’s a classical noir but who knows?

Saunch 03-05-19 02:32 PM

https://twitter.com/prodweek/status/1102990235569405952

Yoda 03-05-19 02:50 PM

That's a very intriguing nugget.

mojofilter 03-05-19 03:32 PM

I like the mystery behind this "event film". I'm sure we will be seeing another jaw-dropping teaser trailer some time at the end of this year, and the final product will be another huge box office hit for Nolan.

ahwell 03-05-19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1985663)
Random personal example, but I really love the band Spoon. Loved a whole bunch of their albums in a row, all of them great. Then they said they were trying something new with their latest, and of course, I didn't like it nearly as much, because they were doing less of the things that specifically made me love them in the first place. Still good, but I haven't liked any of their work since as much as I did before. And I wonder if artists do this out of insecurity, to avoid being pigeonholed, or even just out of boredom.
I’d generally agree with your stance on that. However, in the rare occurrence that an artist delves into completely new territory while keeping it their own entirely... it’s usually a moment in history. First thing that comes to mind for me is Beethoven.

yellowjacket1 03-05-19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1985635)
It's already in the IMDb Top 250.
LOL!

Yeah, if they allowed voting for it that ballot stuffing fan base would have it at a 9.4 for sure by now.

Iroquois 03-06-19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1 (Post 1994201)
LOL!

Yeah, if they allowed voting for it that ballot stuffing fan base would have it at a 9.4 for sure by now.
Unless he actually decided to make a film that starred a woman.

Yoda 03-06-19 12:02 PM

Eh, that's lame. He writes most of these (or is heavily involved in their writing, I suppose). Maybe, not being a woman, he's not great at writing them, and it would be stupid and bad for him to pretend otherwise. Let the man make the films that interest him, that he feels qualified to write about.

Saunch 03-06-19 12:07 PM

I don’t think there’s an argument there that he ought to, just a minor jab at the fan base (particularly the ones that use IMDb ratings for trolling) and how the tend to (absolutely would) react to a thing like that.

Yoda 03-06-19 01:12 PM

That's fair, I think I may have misread Iro's intent there now that I read the post again. I realize he may not have been jabbing Nolan at all. My apologies, if so.

ironpony 03-06-19 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1985811)
Eh, it's Christopher Nolan. Practically every film he's done since Batman Begins manages to be an "event film" by default no matter how dramatic or personal or "cool" it is.
What do you mean by "event film"?

Iroquois 03-06-19 10:45 PM

Yeah, it was more a reference to those people who would downvote a film for that very reason.

As for what an "event film" is, I'd say it is as it sounds - the kind of film that's so big it becomes one of the year's major cinematic events.

MonnoM 05-22-19 11:45 PM

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...gh-1203223474/

"Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh will appear in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, “Tenet,” led by John David Washington.

Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine are also joining the cast that includes Washington as well as Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson.

“Tenet,” which is being filmed on location across seven countries, is an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.

Nolan is directing from his own original screenplay and will use a mix of Imax and 70mm film to bring the story to the big screen.

Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas are producing the movie, while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Tenet” worldwide. It is scheduled to hit theaters on July 17, 2020."

MovieBuffering 05-27-19 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 2013457)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...gh-1203223474/

"Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh will appear in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, “Tenet,” led by John David Washington.

Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine are also joining the cast that includes Washington as well as Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson.

“Tenet,” which is being filmed on location across seven countries, is an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.

Nolan is directing from his own original screenplay and will use a mix of Imax and 70mm film to bring the story to the big screen.

Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas are producing the movie, while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Tenet” worldwide. It is scheduled to hit theaters on July 17, 2020."
#bonerworthy. Always get excited for Nolan. Saw where Tenet is a palindrome. Tenet spelled backwards and forward. And the word ten. Makes you think.

MonnoM 08-02-19 05:41 PM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...sequel-1228880

"“An action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.” It’s the official description for Christopher Nolan’s next film, Tenet, but it could very easily apply to Nolan’s 2010 mind-bender Inception. As details leaked out about Nolan’s new project, Inception was mentioned numerous times for comparison, whether it be in regard to how Tenet will supposedly deal with the time continuum or it tackling the world of espionage. Nolan brings similar elements to all of his films. Could his biggest surprise of all be that Tenet and Inception are connected?

The new teaser, which dropped in select theaters Thursday, offers some clues, and the idea of an Inception sequel is not new. In 2010, Nolan himself suggested that he might expand the universe through a video game. While that hasn’t panned out (so far), when the film came out, Warner Bros. released two Inception prequel comics written by Inception co-producer Jordan Goldberg, titled The Cobol Job and The Big Under, which chronicle the missions leading directly into the film. Nolan continued this practice through an Interstellar prequel comic, which tells the tale of Dr. Mann (Matt Damon). All things considered, the prospect of a return to Inception’s universe, in some form or fashion, is not too far-fetched.

The first teaser trailer for Tenet puts the focus on John David Washington’s character, pointing to him as the main lead, which, as Nolan’s first lead of color, is another step away from the brooding white male heroes of his previous films. The trailer even states “Time has come for a new protagonist” and “Time has come for a new kind of mission” — both serving as meta-commentary on Nolan’s career and perhaps, if the film is an Inception follow-up, as meta-commentary on the stories and realities of that world.

There’s certainly an overwhelming chance that Tenet has nothing to do directly with the Inception universe. But if it does, Tenet focusing on an entirely separate character sounds like a move Nolan would make. The director doesn’t seem like one who would make a direct sequel, but rather seems like one who would use loose threads. In that scenario, could Washington’s character have his own journey — a new kind of mission — in a world of advanced technology, paralleled next to or intertwined with the supporting journey of the Inception kids?"

More in linked article above.

MovieBuffering 08-02-19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 2027474)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...sequel-1228880

The first teaser trailer for Tenet puts the focus on John David Washington’s character, pointing to him as the main lead, which, as Nolan’s first lead of color, is another step away from the brooding white male heroes of his previous films.

More in linked article above.
lol this always amuses me. I wonder if Chinese or Japanesse directors ever have to worry about the race of their leads? Or if Spike Lee cast a white guy in the lead. "This is Spike's first white male lead, getting away from his angry black male lead."

I don't believe Nolan give two sh*ts what the color of his leads are, just if they are talented. Plus it's probably not a conscience thing he does. He writes his work and just probably sees it as white because that's his perspective, not anything malice. Just like Spike Lee usually sees his roles as black.

I wish I was born like 1,000 years in the future where humans are just one blob of a race so this would go away.

Iroquois 08-03-19 10:31 AM

Re: Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

That probably has something to do with how white is such a widely-accepted "default" that it's just taken for granted when POC directors use one. Hell, Spike Lee already made a movie with a white guy in the lead called 25th Hour and that was almost 20 years ago.

Regarding Nolan, I don't know if it being an unconscious bias is really all that good an excuse anyway (and comes back to the whole white=default thing), plus it's always notable when a high-profile director who sticks to certain motifs actually decides to break from them for once (see also how many Nolan protagonists turn out to be widowers).

GulfportDoc 08-03-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2027534)
lol this always amuses me. I wonder if Chinese or Japanesse directors ever have to worry about the race of their leads? Or if Spike Lee cast a white guy in the lead. "This is Spike's first white male lead, getting away from his angry black male lead."

I don't believe Nolan give two sh*ts what the color of his leads are, just if they are talented. Plus it's probably not a conscience thing he does. He writes his work and just probably sees it as white because that's his perspective, not anything malice. Just like Spike Lee usually sees his roles as black.

I wish I was born like 1,000 years in the future where humans are just one blob of a race so this would go away.
Great post, MB. When someone states the obvious, like you just have, it tickles me to see the tortured explanations the PC/SJ crowd typically feels obligated to mount...:D

Iroquois 08-03-19 01:11 PM

Doesn't tickle you enough to try engaging with them, though. The way that post reads, I'm not even sure MovieBuffering here even knows Spike Lee has directing a movie with a white lead (never mind whether the "one blob of a race" comment is meant to refer to every race eventually cross-breeding into one or not)

(also I know this doesn't have anything to do with anything but is The Birth of a Nation seriously your favourite movie)

MovieBuffering 08-03-19 09:41 PM

Yupp just put a Spike Lee movie in my countdown with a white lead. I am aware. Just using him as an example.

Also I think it's hilariously ironic Spike Lee white washed an Asian remake :lol:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1-hW3zRHmL.jpg

https://cdn-media.festival-cannes.co...r_293x397.jpeg

But that's ok because any director can hire anyone they feel is right for the role. Just this movie...coming from Spike...who is so loud about race makes him look like a terrible hypocrite.

But back to Tenet. I think the teaser trailer will probably be online Monday next week. :D

aronisred 08-06-19 09:53 PM

TENƎꓕ

It is pretty ballsy move by Nolan to cast a relative newcomer John David Washington as lead in a ~200 million $ production. Happen to see teaser in IMAX and it is interesting. But JDW is front and center in this teaser. He is investigating a bullet hole on a glass panel and time seems to be overlapping between each shot. Interesting stuff. Can't wait.

MovieBuffering 08-06-19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2028340)
It is pretty ballsy move by Nolan to cast a relative newcomer John David Washington as lead in a ~200 million $ production. Happen to see teaser in IMAX and it is interesting. But JDW is front and center in this teaser. He is investigating a bullet hole on a glass panel and time seems to be overlapping between each shot. Interesting stuff. Can't wait.
I get what you are saying....but it's a Nolan picture...he could have cast me and people will see it. Plus it's Denzel's kid. His isn't exactly an unknown his name carries some weight.

I have a feeling if this has anything to do with time travel/future we see Denzel as an older JDW in the film. Be a pretty big win if Nolan could keep that secret.

aronisred 08-06-19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2028342)
I get what you are saying....but it's a Nolan picture...he could have cast me and people will see it. Plus it's Denzel's kid. His isn't exactly an unknown his name carries some weight.

I have a feeling if this has anything to do with time travel/future we see Denzel as an older JDW in the film. Be a pretty big win if Nolan could keep that secret.
i think it will be more of a love story with spy elements that spans across countries and time involving debicki and john david washington.

Gibbonblack 08-13-19 10:19 AM

I'm just happy to see Debicki :D

MonnoM 09-10-19 04:33 AM

Just saw the trailer. Color me intrigued.

RoboFan 09-20-19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2028342)

He managed to keep
WARNING: spoilers below
Matt Damon
a secret in Interstellar. To me anyway :)

mojofilter 12-18-19 11:22 AM

Entertainment's exclusive first look at Tenet. They're describing it as Christopher Nolan's most ambitious work yet with a budget of 225 million dollars.

The film stars John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman) and Robert Pattinson (Good Time).

Tenet hits theatres July 17, 2020

https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/18/ten...on-first-look/

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/4J...453cea0787acea

mojofilter 12-19-19 02:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

mojofilter 12-19-19 03:00 PM

I must add the trailer looks BADASS! This is going to be the biggest movie of 2020

Yoda 12-19-19 03:13 PM

Yeah, great trailer, seems like Nolan doing all his best Nolan-y things. This is fixin' to be the Bond film they never quite hired him for.

Mr Minio 12-19-19 03:27 PM

looks like a typical
flick tbh

Yoda 12-19-19 03:30 PM

looks like a typical minio post

;)

doubledenim 12-19-19 04:30 PM

We in on JDW? I can't decide if he has it or he's a legacy hire :suspicious: I know Nolan wouldn't have him lead a movie like this if he didn't believe in him, but it's a weird dynamic. His dad will always be a comparison for me and he pales there, regardless of how much better he is than everyone else. It's a unique experience.

I'm paying the IMAX bill on this one.

MovieBuffering 12-19-19 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2053644)
We in on JDW? I can't decide if he has it or he's a legacy hire :suspicious: I know Nolan wouldn't have him lead a movie like this if he didn't believe in him, but it's a weird dynamic. His dad will always be a comparison for me and he pales there, regardless of how much better he is than everyone else. It's a unique experience.

I'm paying the IMAX bill on this one.
I'm still holding out hope some of this manipulation of time and such we get an older JDW in a Denzel cameo lol. Nolan getting his son to get his daddy? One can only hope. lol

WrinkledMind 12-20-19 03:44 AM

Really looking forward to them explaining how time can unravel in different ways in the same dimension.

At least it will prompt fascinating articles from actual scientists.

One of the great things about Inception and Interstellar was these articles that came about dreams and black holes.

chawhee 12-20-19 09:46 AM

I'm not sold yet, but I'll expect it to be great since it's Nolan.

Iroquois 12-20-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 2053638)
looks like a typical
flick tbh
Trying to decide if this means more or less now that you've apparently decided to embrace a rating system where like 90% of everything you watch gets a

Anyway, this is easily the most hyped I've been for a Nolan since Inception, especially since it seems to promise more of that same reality-warping that's been notably absent from his last few pictures.

Mr Minio 12-20-19 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2053760)
a rating system where like 90% of everything you watch gets a
46.18% actually atm

ScarletLion 12-20-19 10:47 AM

It looks like what it will be......an overrated, loud, glorified action film with a manipulative score by somebody like Hans Zimmer; that will no doubt enter the IMDB top 100 movies within 7 minutes of it's release.

Iroquois 12-20-19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 2053782)
46.18% actually atm
If I wanted that level of meaningless precision, I'd just watch a Nolan film.

aronisred 12-24-19 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2053787)
It looks like what it will be......an overrated, loud, glorified action film with a manipulative score by somebody like Hans Zimmer; that will no doubt enter the IMDB top 100 movies within 7 minutes of it's release.
you are wrong....it will be in IMDB top 100 when the ratings open..which is usually as few days or a week before release and you know what the funny thing is ? it will be there even after 5 yrs of its release. Which means, it has staying power.

Yoda 01-23-20 01:00 PM

Trailer backwards, but with the same sound. Matches up well enough that either a) it's meant to be somewhat symmetrical or b) trailers in general have a similar bell curve distribution of activity and sound/image beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqulPx7SbQ&list=WL

MovieBuffering 03-22-20 01:45 AM

I don't ask for much but please let this Corona stuff die down before July. New Nolan in a theater is a must.

ynwtf 03-22-20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2060264)
Trailer backwards, but with the same sound. Matches up well enough that either a) it's meant to be somewhat symmetrical or b) trailers in general have a similar bell curve distribution of activity and sound/image beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqulPx7SbQ&list=WL
All I know is that at 1:07, she's declaring Thumb War. Obviously she's the mastermind with that tell.

John-Connor 03-22-20 05:10 AM

Yes we in on JDW. He was great in HBO's Ballers and BlacKkKlansman. Tenet is probably my most anticipated movie of the year right now.
If it doesn't make the release date because of C-19, I hope they release the VOD instead, on the same date preferably.

movienex 03-24-20 12:02 PM

Yeah it is also my most anticipated movie of the year. That trailer reminds me of Coldplay MTV The scientist.

MovieBuffering 03-25-20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2075657)
Yes we in on JDW. He was great in HBO's Ballers and BlacKkKlansman. Tenet is probably my most anticipated movie of the year right now.
If it doesn't make the release date because of C-19, I hope they release the VOD instead, on the same date preferably.
Lol never going happen. Nolan just wrote a piece I think in the NYTs about saving movie theaters during this time. He'd rather die then do that ha. It will be pushed back for sure to ensure movie theater release.

Yoda 03-25-20 11:46 AM

Yeah, anything close to coming out gets pushed back, only things we get early are things that were already in theaters.

neiba 03-25-20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2053787)
an overrated, loud, glorified action film with a manipulative score by somebody like Hans Zimmer; that will no doubt enter the IMDB top 100 movies within 7 minutes of it's release.
Wow, it looks like someone googled "every Nolan film in a sentence"!

Yoda 03-25-20 03:10 PM

I feel like good scores are always "manipulative" on some level.

Iroquois 03-26-20 01:33 AM

Most (if not all) films are manipulative and we only really complain when a given film's manipulation doesn't work on us.

MovieBuffering 05-14-20 10:34 AM

Nolan a real G if he keeps that release date in July. "Nobody going save theaters? Screw it. I'll do it."

Iroquois 05-14-20 12:09 PM

Seriously hope he reconsiders that. The theatrical experience can wait.

Yoda 05-14-20 12:33 PM

Yeah, and knowing his films this will probably benefit immensely from the wide screen. I go to so few movies in theaters these days but I'll absolutely make an exception for this.

DickLester 05-19-20 02:21 AM

Tenet could do better than expected if it's the only film playing.

resopamenic 05-22-20 11:08 AM

TeeENEeeT
https://youtu.be/L3pk_TBkihU

new trailer

Yoda 05-22-20 11:20 AM

It's basically telling me what the film's central idea/mechanic is, and I still don't know what it is.

Definitely excited for this.

doubledenim 05-22-20 03:04 PM

"Old." :lol:

I don't know if he is doing his dad's accent, but I don't recall him sounding exactly the same in his other movies.

Swan 05-23-20 04:48 AM

I've been so stoked for this since the first trailer dropped.

gandalf26 05-23-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2093388)
It's basically telling me what the film's central idea/mechanic is, and I still don't know what it is.

Definitely excited for this.
Hmmm, going around stopping bad things from happening either before or after they have occurred? Minority Report?

Also fun fact, Micheal Caine is rising on the chart of highest grossing actors of all time. Currently number 9, hopefully many more films to come and cracking that top 5. Micheal Caine played the guy on the Radio in Dunkirk, talking to Tom Hardys pilot.

Edit apparently that's incorrect, the wiki list is full of Marvel actors. Stan Lee is number 1 lmao

aronisred 05-25-20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2093696)
Hmmm, going around stopping bad things from happening either before or after they have occurred? Minority Report?

Also fun fact, Micheal Caine is rising on the chart of highest grossing actors of all time. Currently number 9, hopefully many more films to come and cracking that top 5. Micheal Caine played the guy on the Radio in Dunkirk, talking to Tom Hardys pilot.

Edit apparently that's incorrect, the wiki list is full of Marvel actors. Stan Lee is number 1 lmao
Thats different from being the star of the movie. Just happy to be in a movie that is a giant hit is one thing but being the star of the movie is totally different thing. Thats why you have samuel l jackson in that list.

Yoda 05-25-20 07:19 PM

Well, yeah, that's why he said "lmao." Because he recognizes the distinction and how funny the technicality is.

gandalf26 05-26-20 10:00 AM

Yea, it does say highest grossing actors, not leading actors or stars.

Hope Stan Lee holds the record for a while!

MovieBuffering 05-26-20 11:51 PM

So this whole movie plays with time. I think he has Denzel stashed away somewhere in this movie as an older John David like he had Damon hidden in Interstellar. Or maybe I am just talking out of my arse lol.

whereyouwatch 06-04-20 06:19 PM

Can I just add that "It’s been reported that the movie “needs a domestic release of 3,500 theaters—including major cities New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco” as its budget requires it to make “$450 million to turn a profit”.
That is insane!

gandalf26 06-05-20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by whereyouwatch (Post 2097089)
Can I just add that "It’s been reported that the movie “needs a domestic release of 3,500 theaters—including major cities New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco” as its budget requires it to make “$450 million to turn a profit”.
That is insane!
I think that's fairly standard for the big budget movies these days, $250 for the film, and $200 marketing. It's Nolan though so getting past $500 shouldn't be a problem at all, people staying away because of the Virus might be though.

MovieBuffering 06-07-20 12:48 AM

It feels like Nolan and WB are going hold onto that release date and be the guinea pig/catalyst for reopening cinemas. Nolan is such a gangster lol.

HashtagBrownies 06-17-20 09:56 AM

I think it will return its profit; people are excited to go to the cinema now and see a large scale summer blockbuster after such a long period of quarantine, even though there's the risk of them getting infected or infecting others.

Iroquois 06-17-20 12:20 PM

I think Nolan's got one of those deals where he gets a percentage of the film's profits so him personally trying to stick to as early a date as possible makes a lot more sense under the circumstances. In any case, this still strikes me as irresponsible even though my state/country has been doing comparatively well at minimising the amount of new cases, and that's without knowing how different the situation will be by the time July 31 gets here. Only thing "gangster" about this is how many people it's liable to kill for money.

Sedai 06-17-20 05:46 PM

I find I am fairly loose with my quarantine activities, and not overly paranoid about getting infected. That said, no way in hell am I going into a crowded theater and sitting shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of strangers. I will wait for the home release.

Yoda 06-18-20 11:40 PM

https://twitter.com/jasonshiga/statu...05399838167040

TheUsualSuspect 06-19-20 01:17 PM

Assigned seating, gap between people is something I think they will do in Canada. I cant see people wearing masks in the theater though. No one will want to.

Yoda 06-19-20 01:21 PM

I'd imagine distancing is slightly easier to enforce when you have things like seats, which you can literally count, compared to areas where people just have to keep a rough distance in mind and are standing and therefore inclined to shift and mill around a bit.

Iroquois 06-19-20 03:42 PM

The masks do present a concerning double-bind in that they would presumably prevent patrons from consuming concessions, which accounts for a significant amount of a theatre's revenue. Between that and the reduced number of available seats (which in and of themselves would be hard to enforce - does every session have to have a staff member posted at all times to ensure compliance, which in itself might be a further expenditure?), theatres might simply be too unprofitable to open under the current circumstances. Maybe the content creators get a better deal on their end, but in all probability the theatres themselves will be left out to dry. Like I'm pretty sure a six-foot radius equates to two full seats so that's every third seat of a row, then there's the question of whether you leave entire rows empty to ensure that the distance extends up and down the rows instead of just across them. Too many variables, really.

In any case, there's a local chain that's planning on reopening in two weeks and Tenet will come out four weeks after that, so I think that'll be enough of a trial period to figure out whether or not this is even remotely viable (and I live in a country that seems to have done a fairly decent job of flattening the curve so far, though we'll see how much that matters by the time Tenet drops).

Yoda 06-19-20 04:24 PM

Yeah, we'll have more data over the next month, for sure. So far the re-opening stuff is going moderately well, but the next few weeks are a big deal. Though I keep saying that.

Re: staff member posted to enforce. They kinda do that here already, the last handful of movies I saw in theaters had reserved seating and there was usually someone standing around back there. So maybe a bigger problem for places below a certain size.

Optimus 07-20-20 02:44 PM

Delayed.

Iroquois 07-20-20 02:53 PM

Indefinitely.

Sedai 07-20-20 02:58 PM

I think everyone saw this coming...

MonnoM 07-20-20 03:01 PM

They actually thought they'd be able to release the film in theaters this year? Even without a surge and assuming they pulled it off it would've been a disastrous move.

Yoda 07-20-20 03:06 PM

A month or two ago it looked plausible, still, particularly if the second wave was smaller than it's been. But yeah, obvious now it won't fly.

Yoda 07-20-20 03:08 PM

From Variety:

“We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for Tenet, Christopher Nolan’s wholly original and mind-blowing feature,” said Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich in a statement. “We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.”
So, still planning to open this year, and probably at very different times based on each area's status with COVID-19.

MonnoM 07-20-20 03:11 PM

I disagree. A lot of the reason we're dealing with a surge now is due to a lack of responsibility. Opening certain businesses have already proven detrimental. A movie theater opening, even with the proper precautions would've been irresponsible.

MonnoM 07-20-20 03:12 PM

They're an adamant bunch.

Captain Spaulding 07-20-20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2110383)
A month or two ago it looked plausible, still, particularly if the second wave was smaller than it's been. But yeah, obvious now it won't fly.
I wasn't aware that we'd finished surfing the first wave.

gandalf26 07-20-20 03:30 PM

They should just allow us to buy it to watch from home. Like open it up for pre purchase then release it a month from then.

It would be interesting to see how much they would make vs theatre sales, I think people would be happy enough to pay say $10-15 for a Nolan film or say James Bond. Piracy would be an issue of course post release.

Of course this would be terrible for Cinemas but what can you do.

I feel like the above is almost inevitable anyway, but how long will it take for that to happen.