Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oscar's Best Adapted Screenplay 2020 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60697)

Holden Pike 01-13-20 07:47 PM

Oscar's Best Adapted Screenplay 2020

1 Attachment(s)
The nominees for Adapted Screenplay...

The Irishman
Steve Zaillian

Jojo Rabbit
Taika Waititi

Joker
Scott Silver & Todd Phillips

Little Women
Greta Gerwig

The Two Popes
Anthony McCarten

ahwell 01-13-20 07:54 PM

Re: Oscar's Best Adapted Screenplay 2020

Joker being nominated HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I’d rank them
1. Irishman
2. Little Women
3. Joker

Need to see the other two, but Irishman got my vote.

hell_storm2004 01-14-20 03:49 AM

I think this one is nailed down for the Irishman.

mojofilter 01-14-20 09:10 AM

The Irishman did not win in this category in any of the award shows that I've seen. I'm afraid it might go to Little Women, but I'm still voting for The Irishman. The Academy ought to get it right.

seanc 01-14-20 10:28 AM

Some Lityle Women love here. That movie was way better than anything adapted 100 times should be. Wish Gerwig would have got a nom. Yet to see Two Popes.

Gideon58 01-15-20 05:58 PM

Now that I've seen it, I wouldn't mind seeing this one go to JoJo Rabbit

TheUsualSuspect 01-16-20 09:00 AM

I see The Irishman losing in a lot of the other categories so a win here would be nice. Zaillian has a win under his best already, but his work is really great and The Irishman is no exception.

hell_storm2004 01-18-20 04:58 AM

I think I voted too early. Little women might get it.

Holden Pike 01-20-20 10:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Anthony McCarten has been on quite the non-fiction roll having written the scripts for the Stephen Hawkings piece The Theory of Everything, the Churchill piece Darkest Hour, the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, and now The Two Popes. Those previous three script produced the material for three of the last five Best Actor winners. This time paired with director Fernando Meirelles (City of God, The Constant Gardner) his script has produced another Best Actor nomination. The dramatization of the quick reign of Pope Benedict leading into Pope Francis won't win for Adapted Screenplay, but these are the kinds of projects awards shows crave. It is the only of the five Oscar nominees not to get the corresponding Adapted Screenplay nomination from the Writers Guild of America (WGA). A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood took its spot for those awards.

Todd Phillips paired his Best Director nom with Adapted Screenplay here. It is his second nomination in this category having netted his first and only other as one of the credited co-writers of Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. No, really. It lost to William Monahan's adaptation of The Departed for Scorsese. Joker's co-writer Scott Silver has one previous Oscar nomination as well, in the Original category for co-writing David O. Russell's The Fighter (it lost to Best Picture winner The King's Speech). Joker is the second comic book property to get a nod here in recent years following Wolverine's send off Logan. I don't know how much of Joker's tone and style was on the page, but those elements would be unlikely to be rewarded here.

Taika Waititi is becoming a force in the industry. A delightfully warped and hysterical voice from New Zealand who has somehow inserted himself into international cinema as a player. The writer/director/actor/producer established his brand with the charming Kiwi exports Eagle vs. Shark, Boy, What We Do in the Shadows, and The Hunt for the Wilderpeople before being given the reigns to the Marvel Cinematic Universe's God of Thunder with Thor: Ragnarok which is the weirdest and funniest of all those superhero entries. Next up he gets to bring Natalie Portman back into the fray for Thor: Love & Thunder but in between he was able to finance his long gestating Jojo Rabbit. Predictably the satire ruffled some feathers here and there, but just as predictably Waititi's trademark humor and heart carried the day resulting in six Oscar nominations including Best Picture.

I would be tickled if Taika Waititi were to actually win, and the resulting acceptance speech would surely be historically awesome, but it will likely have to wait for another project down the line.

This is Steven Zaillian's fifth Oscar nomination for his writing: one in the Original category for co-writing Scorsese's Gangs of New York and three previous Adapteds for Penny Marshall's Awakenings, Spielberg's Schindler's List, and Bennett Miller's Moneyball. He won the Oscar for Schindler's List. Adapting Frank Sheeran's version of events through Charles Brandt's tome "I Heard You Paint Houses": The Inside Story of The Mafia, The Teamsters, and the Last Ride of Jimmy Hoffa for Scorsese's long awaited return to the world of gangsters has him on the short list to win his second Academy Award.

It seems as though if Zaillian doesn't win his second Greta Gerwig may well earn her first. This is her third nomination after nods for her Original Screenplay and Direction of Lady Bird two years ago. Her version of the oft-adapted Louisa May Alcott novel is a fresh take on the material, retaining her sensibility and Alcott's classic characters. That coupled with a belated recognition for Lady Bird, which didn't win for any of its five nominations, and as encouragement for the emerging filmmaker may give her the edge here.

sawduck 01-28-20 12:17 PM

Praying for The Irishman but i have a sneaky feeling Little Women will win, and the irishman may even go home empty handed,hopefully i am wrong because that would be criminal

mojofilter 01-28-20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sawduck (Post 2061388)
Praying for The Irishman but i have a sneaky feeling Little Women will win, and the irishman may even go home empty handed,hopefully i am wrong because that would be criminal
I have Irishman winning for Screenplay and for Visual Effects. It would be a crime if Irishman doesn't win this category, and it would be a bigger crime if Little Women does.

Siddon 02-02-20 07:51 AM

If I were to rank them....

5. The Two Popes - I thought this was an uneven screen play, a film that had it's moments but never really locked down a proper tone.

4. Joker - I'm okay with this one getting in for a nomination but I don't feel like this is a win, if I were to look at all of the films strengths (visuals, performances, score) the writing is likely at the bottom not a worthy winner.

3. Little Women - well this is probably going to win, which is sad because it felt like a better adaptation of a story we've all seen multiple times in the past. Gerwig's flairs and flashes are great but to me compared to Lady Bird and Frances Ha her weakest work.

2. The Irishman - It's a long film but I didn't feel it's length, though I might be alone in that one. I love the writers use of themes that play throughout the epic and the character work is impeccable.

1. Jojo Rabbit - To me this was a special film and certainly the best written film of the year. Rarely does a film switch tones as often or as well as Rabbit did. While the film is a satire it also has a powerful emotional resonance.

Holden Pike 02-02-20 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last night Jojo Rabbit won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. It was up against three of its competitors for the Oscar in The Irishman, Joker, and Little Women as well as A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, which is replaced by The Two Popes on the Academy's ballot. The Two Popes was actually considered an Original Screenplay by the WGA.

The WGA used to distinguish between dramas and comedies with this award, but since they have gone to a single award in 1984 they have matched 23 out of 35 years. That 66% is decent, better than the rate that the WGA's Original matches up with Oscar, but far worse than the 90% of matches the Directors Guild of America has.

This decade the WGA and Oscar have matched up six out of the nine years so far. The matches were The Social Network, The Descendants, Argo, The Imitation Game, The Big Short, and Call Me by Your Name. One of the misses came from category misalignment. The WGA considered Moonlight an Original piece while the Academy had it as Adapted. The Arrival won the WGA for adapted not facing Moonlight, but Barry Jenkins got the Oscar. The other two misses were Captain Phillips winning the WGA but 12 Years a Slave the Oscar (it was ineligible at the Writers Guild of America) and just last year when Can You Ever Forgive Me? won the WGA Award while BlakKklansman the Oscar.

Personally I would be beyond delighted if Taika Waititi and Jojo Rabbit win the Oscar.

Iroquois 02-02-20 11:04 AM

I wouldn't be delighted, but I also wouldn't be surprised if that's what the Academy ultimately picked.

hell_storm2004 02-02-20 03:11 PM

I would love it too. Such a unique premise. But Little Women is also a very strong contender.

Taz 02-02-20 07:05 PM

Jojo Rabbit won the BAFTA tonight, following on from the WGA award last night.

mojofilter 02-09-20 08:26 AM

I picked Irishman, but this is one of the few categories I am debating now. This can go to Jojo Rabbit or, dreadfully, to Little Women. I might change my choice to Jojo at the last minute.

The other categories I am debating are Production Design (I chose Once Upon but it could go to 1917), Visual Effects (I chose Irishman but it could go to Avengers or 1917).

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

TheUsualSuspect 02-09-20 10:39 AM

I don't think Irishman will win anything. I'm expecting another Gangs of New York fiasco for Marty.

Holden Pike 02-09-20 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This year the two WGA and Oscar winners matched exactly with Parasite winning Original and Jojo Rabbit winning Adapted Screenplay. Taika Waititi was actually so stunned he could barely get through his speech.

If you "Flight of the Conchords" fans are keeping score, Waititi and Bret McKenzie now have Oscars (Bret won for writing the song "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets). Can Jermaine Clement, Rhys Darby, and Kristen Schaal's Academy Awards be far behind?

Holden Pike 02-10-20 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oscar portrait...