Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38010)

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 12:03 PM

The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...psisbanner.png

Welcome to MoFo Top 100 Animated Films Countdown!

On September 1, 2014, I asked the good people of MovieForums.com to send me their top 25 favorite animated features and shorts (excluding hybrids and television series), ranked in order of preference. The response was incredible. In all, 79 people made good on that request (though some lists had fewer than 25 entries) and between them they voted for 327 animated films.

The Voting Thread Can Be Found Here: The MoFo Top Animated Films - Voting

Aniko, Arcanis, BlueLion, BrowningIdentity, Camo, Captain Spaulding, Chardee Macdennis, Christine, Cinemajack, Citizen Rules, Cobpyth, Cricket, dadgumblah, Daniel M, Derek Vinyard, Erasmus Folly, Film Trash Review, Friendly Mushroom!, Frightened Inmate No. 2, Funny Face, Gatsby, GBGoodies, Gideon58, Godoggo, Guaporense, The Gunslinger45, Harry Lime, Hello101, Holden Pike, honeykid, Iroquois, Jal90, JayDee, jiraffejustin, John McClane, Kathepburn, LinesPalsy, Loner, mark f, meatwadsprite, Mingusings, Miss Vicky, Mistique, Mlaturno, Modine, MovieMeditation, Nausicaä, Neiba, Nostromo87, Plan B, Pussy Galore, Quill, rauldc14, Rhys, The Rodent, s1n1st3r, The samoan lawyer, Sane, sara f, The SciFi Slob, seanc, Sedai, Sexy Celebrity, Sinny McGuffins, Skepsis93, Swan, teeter_g, Tenshi, Thursday Next, Tokeza, TylerDurden99, urkillinmesmalls, The Usual Suspect, Voigan, WBadger, weeman, wintertriangles, Yoda, the young turk

• For movies ranked #100 - #21, I will post two movies per day.

• Once we reach the top 20, I will post one movie per day until the final two, which will be revealed together (on or about January 29th, if my calculations are correct).

• I will post four movies on December 24th and will not post any new entries in the countdown on December 25th. I will probably do the same for December 31st and January 1st.

• If an unforeseen event prevents me from posting on a particular day, I will post two sets the following day.

• Due to an erratic work schedule, I cannot promise to post at a consistent time of day. Some days the post will be quite late, other days it may be early. I apologize in advance if this causes any frustration.

• If you are one of the voters, please do not reveal your full personal list until the countdown is complete. If you voted for a particular film that has been revealed on the countdown, feel free to say where on your list it placed.

• Discussion of each film is encouraged.

• A Note on Points and Numerical Ties: For those new to the list experience, each voter sent in a list of up to 25 films. Points were determined as follows: #1 votes received 25 points, #2 votes received 24 points, #3 votes received 23 points, etc all the way down to 1 point for a #25 vote. There were several numerical ties among the top 100. To determine order when ties arose, I first counted how many individual votes the films received. The film with the higher number of votes was given the higher position. If they received the same number of votes, then the film with the highest single vote was placed higher on the list.

• Once the countdown is complete, Yoda will add it to the Lists section of MoFo. So be sure to check off what you've seen when the time comes.

And now for what you've all been waiting for...

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 12:03 PM

The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films List
(Click On the Film Titles For Details)

100. All Dogs Go To Heaven
99. Surf's Up
98. A Bug's Life
97. Tarzan
96. It's Such A Beautiful Day
95. Frankenweenie
94. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
93. Garden of Words
92. The Fox and the Hound
91. Shrek 2

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...s/1first10.gif

90. Anastasia
89. Animal Farm
88. The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie
87. 101 Dalmatians
86. Paprika
85. 5 Centimeters Per Second
84. The Wind Rises
83. Mulan
82. Lilo & Stitch
81. Ponyo

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../2second10.gif

80. The Emperor's New Groove
79. Lady and the Tramp
78. A Charlie Brown Christmas
77. Bolero/Evolution (from Allegro Non Troppo)
76. A Town Called Panic
75. Watership Down
74. Heavy Metal
73. Hercules
72. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
71. Wolf Children

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...s/3third10.gif

70. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
69. Corpse Bride
68. Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Eternal
67. Millennium Actress
66. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
65. When the Wind Blows
64. Kung Fu Panda
63. The Plague Dogs
62. Yellow Submarine
61. Despicable Me

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../4fourth10.gif

60. The Illusionist
59. The Jungle Book
58. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
57. Charlotte's Web
56. Castle in the Sky
55. Duck Amuck
54. Sleeping Beauty
53. Tale Of Tales
52. The Simpsons Movie
51. Chicken Run

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...s/5fifth10.gif

50. Bambi
49. Dumbo
48. Ghost in the Shell
47. A Scanner Darkly
46. Whisper of the Heart
45. Fantastic Planet
44. Perfect Blue
43. Porco Rosso
42. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
41. Waking Life

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...s/6sixth10.gif

40. Frozen
39. Howl's Moving Castle
38. Kiki's Delivery Service
37. The Little Mermaid
36. Coraline
35. Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
34. Rango
33. Alice in Wonderland
32. The Lego Movie
31. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...7seventh10.gif

30. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
29. Akira
28. Persepolis
27. Wreck-It Ralph
26. Waltz With Bashir
25. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
24. Pinocchio
23. Mary and Max.
22. The Iron Giant
21. Shrek

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../8eighth10.gif

20. Fantasia
19. How to Train Your Dragon
18. My Neighbor Totoro
17. Fantastic Mr. Fox
16. Toy Story 2
15. Aladdin
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas
13. Grave of the Fireflies
12. Beauty and the Beast
11. The Incredibles

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...s/9ninth10.gif

10. Toy Story 3
9. Princess Mononoke
8. Ratatouille
7. Monsters, Inc.
6. Finding Nemo
5. The Lion King
4. WALL·E
3. Spirited Away
2. Up
1. Toy Story

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../10tenth10.gif

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 12:05 PM

But first....

These films each received only one point. This means that they each got only one vote and that one vote was for #25. Some of these are sort of afterthoughts, tacked on in order to fill out the ballot and others were deliberately put at that position in the hopes of getting them on this list and giving them some recognition in the countdown.

Aschenputtel (Cinderella) (Short)
(Lotte Reiniger, 1922) IMDb / YouTube

Barnyard
(Steve Oedekerk, 2006) IMDb

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
(Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, 2009) IMDb

Education For Death: The Making of the Nazi (Short)
(Clyde Geronimi, 1943) IMDb / YouTube

Grace
(Tanya Weinberger, 1986) YouTube

Hugó, a víziló (Hugo the Hippo)
(Bill Feigenbaum, 1975) IMDb

Hulk Vs.
(Sam Liu and Frank Paur, 2009) IMDb

Logorama (Short)
(François Alaux, Hervé de Crécy, and Ludovic Houplain, 2009) IMDb / YouTube

Recess: School's Out
(Chuck Sheetz, 2001) IMDb

The Skeleton Dance (Short)
(Walt Disney, 1929) IMDb / YouTube

I'll be back in a little while with the first two films.

hello101 12-02-14 12:25 PM

Re: The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

I voted for Hulk Vs.

lol

cricket 12-02-14 12:27 PM

The only one I've heard of from the 1 pointers is Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and I didn't realize it was animated. Even though all 25 of my picks are not that well known, I thought there was a chance they'd all make the countdown. That was before I knew there would be over 300 films with points. That's a lot.

Sedai 12-02-14 12:29 PM

Great design on the graphics so far, btw...

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1213172)
Great design on the graphics so far, btw...
Thanks, though I can't take any credit for that. Skepsis93 created the main header, The Rodent created the header for the list post and JayDee created the header for The One Point List.

And a big thank you from me to them!

linespalsy 12-02-14 12:35 PM

Damn it!, I knew I was forgetting something important - Skeleton Dance! That's what I get for throwing my list together at the last minute.

Loner 12-02-14 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1213166)
But first....

These films each received only one point. This means that they each got only one vote and that one vote was for #25. Some of these are sort of afterthoughts, tacked on in order to fill out the ballot and others were deliberately put at that position in the hopes of getting them on this list and giving them some recognition in the countdown.

Aschenputtel (Cinderella) (Short)
(Lotte Reiniger, 1922) IMDb / YouTube

Barnyard
(Steve Oedekerk, 2006) IMDb

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
(Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, 2009) IMDb

Education For Death: The Making of the Nazi (Short)
(Clyde Geronimi, 1943) IMDb / YouTube

Grace
(Tanya Weinberger, 1986) YouTube

Hugó, a víziló (Hugo the Hippo)
(Bill Feigenbaum, 1975) IMDb

Hulk Vs.
(Sam Liu and Frank Paur, 2009) IMDb

Logorama (Short)
(François Alaux, Hervé de Crécy, and Ludovic Houplain, 2009) IMDb / YouTube

Recess: School's Out
(Chuck Sheetz, 2001) IMDb

The Skeleton Dance (Short)
(Walt Disney, 1929) IMDb / YouTube

I'll be back in a little while with the first two films.
I thought for sure one of my picks would only get one point. I guess one or more of The Canadians voted for it.

Cobpyth 12-02-14 01:46 PM

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and The Skeleton Dance are the only ones I've seen from the 1 pointers. The former is a well executed, absurdly funny commentary on human greed and the latter is a fine piece of macaber classic animation.

Can't wait for the first two entries!

rauldc14 12-02-14 01:54 PM

Barnyard is the only one pointer that I've seen. It is OK, but truly had no reason to have a chance for this countdown.

Arcanis 12-02-14 02:04 PM

Although I loved the book Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, I never liked the movie especially well, not even nostalgically. The other one-pointers I haven't even seen, althoughh I've been meaning to see Hulk Vs. for months now,

neiba 12-02-14 02:21 PM

Barnyard is mine!!!

I knew it would be a one pointer, that's why I chosed it! I watched it at the cinema and I remember laughing as hell! I'm glad it's represented somehow on this thread! :)

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 02:27 PM

Ten Films That Missed The Cut

Over the Hedge
(Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick, 2006) IMDb
55 points

Robin Hood
(Wolfgang Reitherman, 1973) IMDb
55 points

The Adventures Of Tintin
(Steven Spielberg, 2011) IMDb
54 points

The Brave Little Toaster
(Jerry Rees, 1987) IMDb
54 points

Kokuriko-zaka kara (From Up On Poppy Hill)
(Goro Miyazaki, 2011) IMDb
54 points

Ice Age
(Chris Wedge and Carlos Saldanha, 2002) IMDb
53 points

The Secret Of NIMH
(Don Bluth, 1982) IMDb
53 points

Toki o kakeru shôjo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
(Mamoru Hosoda, 2006) IMDb
52 points

Vincent (Short)
(Tim Burton, 1982) IMDb / YouTube
51 points

Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed (The Adventures Of Prince Achmed)
(Lotte Reiniger, 1926) IMDb
50 points

I know this list is going to break some hearts.

The Rodent 12-02-14 02:29 PM

Hahahaha! Brave Little Toaster misses out on a list yet again.

How many lists has it failed to make now?

Gonna be some tantrums on here now.

Yoda 12-02-14 02:30 PM

MRW when I look at the list and see that NIMH didn't make it even though I gave it 22 points.

http://i.imgur.com/FZifzsP.jpg

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1213220)
MRW when NIMH doesn't make the list even though I gave it 22 points.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/H7c-vSIHiYU/hqdefault.jpg
I didn't vote for NIMH myself, but I strongly considered it and it's a childhood favorite. I was very sad to see it make this list.

On the other hand, Over the Hedge is one of many films I voted for that did not make the top 100. I had it at number 8. :(

gbgoodies 12-02-14 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1213217)
Ten Films That Missed The Cut

Over the Hedge
(Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick, 2006) IMDb
55 points

Robin Hood
(Wolfgang Reitherman, 1973) IMDb
55 points

The Adventures Of Tintin
(Steven Spielberg, 2011) IMDb
54 points

The Brave Little Toaster
(Jerry Rees, 1987) IMDb
54 points

Kokuriko-zaka kara (From Up On Poppy Hill)
(Goro Miyazaki, 2011) IMDb
54 points

Ice Age
(Chris Wedge and Carlos Saldanha, 2002) IMDb
53 points

The Secret Of NIMH
(Don Bluth, 1982) IMDb
53 points

Toki o kakeru shôjo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
(Mamoru Hosoda, 2006) IMDb
52 points

Vincent (Short)
(Tim Burton, 1982) IMDb / YouTube
51 points

Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed (The Adventures Of Prince Achmed)
(Lotte Reiniger, 1926) IMDb
50 points

I know this list is going to break some hearts.

Yes, this list definitely breaks my heart. :bawling:

Over the Hedge was my #9.
The Adventures Of Tintin was my #10.
The Brave Little Toaster was my #24.
Ice Age was my #13.

Robin Hood didn't make my list, but it was a childhood favorite that was one of my final cuts.

cricket 12-02-14 02:35 PM

I gave The Adventures of Prince Achmed 2 points, and The Adventures of Tintin was my very last cut. Over the Hedge was one of the last movies I wanted to see, that I didn't get to.

Yoda 12-02-14 02:36 PM

The thing about NIMH that I really love is how it doesn't talk down to its audience. Like all great children's films, it trusts them to reach beyond their comfort level a little bit to meet its story. It really respects its audiences.

Swan 12-02-14 02:38 PM

I really wish The Adventures of Prince Achmed made the final list since it's one of the first animated films ever and is of incredible importance in the animation world for that reason. I can't complain though because I didn't vote for it, as I haven't seen it.

Swan 12-02-14 02:42 PM

I should have voted for Vincent though. If I was going to vote for any animated short film it would be that one.

cricket 12-02-14 02:42 PM

And I just noticed From Up on Poppy Hill too; that and Over the Hedge were 2 of 6 movies from my watchlist I ran out of time for. The other 4 I didn't get to were Shrek, Despicable Me, Wolf Children, and Chicken Run.

gbgoodies 12-02-14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1213231)
And I just noticed From Up on Poppy Hill too; that and Over the Hedge were 2 of 6 movies from my watchlist I ran out of time for. The other 4 I didn't get to were Shrek, Despicable Me, Wolf Children, and Chicken Run.

You should have watched Over the Hedge and Despicable Me. (You should still watch them, even though the voting is over.)

IMO, Shrek and Chicken Run are overrated. I haven't seen the other two.

Arcanis 12-02-14 02:54 PM

Although I didn't vote for them, The Secret of NIMH, The Brace Little Toaster, The Adventures of Tintin and Robin Hood are all great films. I can't even chuck up my appreciation of The Brave Little Toaster to nostalgia, since I didn't even see it until college (same with Dumbo and Bambi).

Erasmus Folly 12-02-14 02:56 PM

Ice Age was my #21.

Sedai 12-02-14 02:56 PM

I had Secret of Nimh at number ELEVEN.

Cobpyth 12-02-14 02:58 PM

http://cdn.flimmer.de.s3.amazonaws.c...04.600x600.jpg

From Up On Poppy Hill was my #15. Too bad it just missed out. I totally expected it to make it. It's a fantastic film that somehow really got to my senses when I watched it for the first time. This is what I wrote about it back then in my review thread (it doesn't really say that much about the film as it was just a short write-up, but it does show my initial enthusiastic reaction):

I went into this movie without any high expectations, as it is rated significantly lower than most of Hayao Miyazaki's films, who of course is the legendary father of Goro, who directed this film. I must say I really like this film A LOT! I like it even more than some of Miyazaki's work, frankly. It has a whole different style, as it is way more realistic, but my god, this film had a great deal of depth! It's really a brilliant piece of film. The story works on three interconnected narrative levels, in my opinion.

First of all there is the Japanese community of 1964, right before the olympics, the event that kind of 'allowed' Japan to be part of the world again after its deeds in World War II. The country struggles between tradition and modernisation.
The film shows how it is not always good to completely ignore the past using a student house (the second level of the story) as an example of how a gritty building (past) still can hold some wonderful things.
Then there are the main characters, the third layer of the story. A girl falls in love with a boy, but because of something that happened in the past, this love seems impossible and wrong.

All three levels try to find a certain balance in a very similar way. The story is very ingeniously constructed. I'm not going into detail, as I don't want to give anything away.
I'm also a big fan of the music it features (Sukiyaki's Kyu Sakamoto is a very fitting musical symbol for the Westernization of Japan, as it is the only Japanese song that ever topped the Billboard top 100).

Great film! I absolutely adored it and I very much recommend it!
I've also seen Over the Hedge, Robin Hood, The Adventures Of Tintin, The Brave Little Toaster, Ice Age and The Secret Of NIMH.

The ones in bold are films that I really really like a lot and even considered for my list, so I'm very sad they didn't make it either. The others are enjoyable, but they never had a chance of being on my top 25.

Yoda 12-02-14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1213241)
I had Secret of Nimh at number ELEVEN.
You and I accounted for 60% of its points. And I'm going to fight all the (apparently numerous) people who didn't vote for it.

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/...1376411004.jpg

mark f 12-02-14 02:59 PM

I had The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#15) and Vincent (#16) on my list, and I would bet Sarah did too. I think I'm going to go cry now like Miss Vicky is about Over the Hedge. :(

Sinny McGuffins 12-02-14 03:03 PM

https://guriguriblog.files.wordpress...0/03/logo2.jpg

My list so far:

8. Robin Hood (DNP)
17. The Adventures of Tintin (DNP)
22. Ice Age (DNP)
25. Logorama (One-Pointer!)

If anyone who hasn't seen it has a spare 16 mins, you should check out Logorama. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKopCwGlcc

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1213243)
You and I accounted for 60% of its points. And I'm going to fight all the (apparently numerous) people who didn't vote for it.
You really think you can take on 76 people? :D

hello101 12-02-14 03:06 PM

I caught Hulk Vs. on a Saturday morning (typically), so much fun. Might be the best Hulk adaption.

Question for all, were all the movies on your list
or over?

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by hello101 (Post 1213251)
or over?
They were for me. So were many of the films I had to cut.

Yoda 12-02-14 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1213250)
You really think you can take on 76 people? :D
COME AT ME BRO.

http://prettycleverfilms.com/files/2...h-original.jpg

Cobpyth 12-02-14 03:08 PM

or over?
Definitely! I had to leave quite a few
movies (for me personally) off my list.

Voigan 12-02-14 03:10 PM

Weeman is going to heartbroken Brave Little Toaster didn't make it. :( The Girl Who Leapt Through Time almost made my list but I ended up nixing it at the last minute. I'm kind of surprised NIMH isn't going to be showing up. I wasn't too impressed with it but I thought it was a pretty popular film.

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Voigan (Post 1213256)
Weeman is going to heartbroken Brave Little Toaster didn't make it. :(
That's what he gets for not being around enough to really campaign for it. :p

cricket 12-02-14 03:16 PM

or over?
I give my bottom 7 selections

Cobpyth 12-02-14 03:16 PM

@Yoda:

Shouldn't this thread be categorized under "important" instead of Member Reviews' Threads? I remember the same thing happening with the '70s list in the beginning, because there was something with the code you had to change first.

neiba 12-02-14 03:17 PM

I'm sad Vincent didn't make the list! It's a great short movie, one of my favourites!

12. Vincent
25. Barnyard

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:18 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...osters/100.jpg

All Dogs Go To Heaven
(Don Bluth, Gary Goldman, and Dan Kuenster, 1989)
http://i.imgur.com/TLhM4Wp.jpg http://i.imgur.com/o7E6o1m.png

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:18 PM

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:20 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...gotoheaven.gif

100. All Dogs Go To Heaven - Voting Stats

Total Points: 55
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes. Two other films also scored 55 points, but earned fewer total votes.
4 Votes: 6th Place (20 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.) 20th Place (6 pts.)

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../99surfsup.gif

99. Surf's Up - Voting Stats

Total Points: 57
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, but more on that tomorrow.
4 Votes: 6th place (20 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts), 13th Place (13 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.)

Voigan 12-02-14 03:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5ekMlQvi4

mark f 12-02-14 03:23 PM

Those beat the others???

Sedai 12-02-14 03:25 PM

I am with Mark on that one...

hello101 12-02-14 03:28 PM

Meh @ Surf's Up

Haven't seen All Dogs Go To Heaven. The Plague Dogs >>>

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 03:28 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...s/maverick.gif

I don't care what anybody says, Surf's Up is funny as hell.

I remember watching the trailer of it and thinking "That looks really stupid." Consequently, I skipped it during its theatrical run, but then later I blind bought the DVD on a whim.

I laughed my butt off and it quickly shot up on my list of favorites. It's one of my go to animations when I'm bored or sad. I've no idea how many times I've seen it now. It was my #6.

All Dogs Go To Heaven was a childhood favorite, but the singing puts me off now and it didn't get my vote.

My List
6. Surf's Up (99)
8. Over the Hedge (Near Miss)

BlueLion 12-02-14 03:30 PM

or over?
No way, there's only about 7 or 8 I'd give that rating.

cricket 12-02-14 03:30 PM

I saw All Dogs Go to Heaven years ago and I liked it.

Not familiar with Surf's Up.

The Rodent 12-02-14 03:36 PM

My list so far.

:D

Yoda 12-02-14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1213261)
@Yoda:

Shouldn't this thread be categorized under "important" instead of Member Reviews' Threads? I remember the same thing happening with the '70s list in the beginning, because there was something with the code you had to change first.
Ah yes. Stupid hardcoding thing I always forget about. Should be fixed soon, thanks.

Skepsis93 12-02-14 03:40 PM

Nothing from me so far on any of the lists. I had meant to watch a bunch of new animated films for this, but other stuff got in the way. So not being a big animation fan, my list was pretty standard. A decent amount of Disney/Pixar with a few weird choices thrown in.

Now, Tarzan is gonna be #1, right? Right?

seanc 12-02-14 03:44 PM

Didn't have either of the first entries. I have been around people watching Surfs Up but won't count that. Saw All Dogs Go To Heaven but don't remember much about it.

Really surprised about Poppy Hill. I had it at #8. All the Ghibli I have watched has been in the last year. More than one made my list, but that was by far my favorite.

seanc 12-02-14 03:45 PM

Oh. Love the countdown graphic MV. Very nice job. :up::up:

Nostromo87 12-02-14 03:49 PM

from the 'Ten Highest Films That Missed The Cut', had The Adventures of Prince Achmed at #8 on my ballot. Has its own exotic Arabian-style animation that i found unique. Based on stories from The Arabian Nights, one of my favorite (loOoOoOoOng :D) books

http://40.media.tumblr.com/93c6a961a...ufl3o1_500.png
http://36.media.tumblr.com/e207ca2f7...ufl3o3_500.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/399bd6be9...ufl3o5_500.jpg

Have seen our #100, All Dogs Go To Heaven, but don't remember much about it. Did not make my list

mistique 12-02-14 04:02 PM

I got All Dogs go to Heaven on dvd last year, but I never saw the whole movie. I haven't seen Surf's Up, didn't seem like it would be any good.

Quill 12-02-14 04:09 PM

I feel really bad that I didn't put The Secret of NIMH on my ballot now. Thought it'd be a shoe-in, sorry Yoda. All Dogs Go to Heaven is a childhood favorite and was my #20. The characters are memorable and some scenes have always stuck with me. This is a movie I occasionally return to even now. Happy that it made it.

I completely forgot about Surf's Up's existence, but I think I'm happy it made it. I remember really enjoying it when I first saw it, might have to give it a rewatch sometime.

weeman 12-02-14 04:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o9I...ature=youtu.be

gbgoodies 12-02-14 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by weeman (Post 1213288)

No, you were not "all by yourself". I voted for it. It was my #24. I guess I should have placed it higher on my list, but it was tough enough finding a spot for it at all.

I thought it deserved a spot on the list, and I'm sad to see that it didn't make it. :(

Yoda 12-02-14 04:21 PM

weeman kills it again.

mistique 12-02-14 04:23 PM

Fantastic Weeman, loved it :D

Voigan 12-02-14 04:24 PM

That was sad and funny at the same time.

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 04:29 PM

Did the blanket annoy me? YES.

Was weeman all by himself when he voted for it? No.

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...kettoaster.gif

The Brave Little Toaster Breakdown

Total Points: 54
Part of Numeric a Tie?: Yes. It received fewer votes than From Up On Poppy Hill and the same number of votes as The Adventures of Tintin, but weeman's #1 vote for it would have placed it behind Poppy Hill and ahead of Tintin, effectively putting it at number 104.
Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 24th Place (2 pts.)

honeykid 12-02-14 04:37 PM

Well, that's my post of the year nomination set. :up:

MovieMeditation 12-02-14 04:37 PM

Voted for neither, seen neither.

But the design/graphics and the way it is all constructed so far on this list is pretty spectacular! Great work Miss Vicky and all the graphic designers! :up: :)

seanc 12-02-14 04:40 PM

Very funny Weeman. Almost makes me happy it didn't make the list. ;)

Arcanis 12-02-14 04:52 PM

That Brave Little Toaster video has to be one of the saddest things that I've seen recently. The feelz were, in fact, real.

I like All Dogs Go to Heaven, although I don't love it. It's basically to The Crow what Oliver & Company was to Oliver Twist.

I haven't seen Surf's Up and I doubt that I would like it. Happy Feet was straight up unbearable, and this seems like more of the same.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 04:52 PM

I'm sorry, but that new Weeman video wasn't funny at all. If that's the best he can do now, I won't be bugging him to make Sexy Hitler II any longer. I will have to make it myself or something.

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Arcanis (Post 1213306)
I haven't seen Surf's Up and I doubt that I would like it. Happy Feet was straight up unbearable, and this seems like more of the same.
They may be both CG animated films about penguins, but the similarities really end there.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 05:03 PM

Anyway! It looks like Miss Vicky might be rigging the countdown just for me.

First of all: One Pointers.

Grace
(Tanya Weinberger, 1986)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwgjkRlZxo

This was mine. Grace is something I used to see on Nickelodeon a lot as a child. I thought I'd throw it on the list because I knew it would more than likely be a one pointer. Give it a watch -- it's only a little over 2 minutes.

None of the Top Ten Near Misses were mine.

AND....

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...osters/100.jpg

All Dogs Go To Heaven was #8 on my list.

My List:

8. All Dogs Go To Heaven
25. Grace (one pointer)

linespalsy 12-02-14 05:23 PM

The Adventures of Prince Achmed is another one I forgot, though I'm not sure it would have made my list if I had remembered it. It's good and everyone should see it. Surf's Up is okay (high 2.5 or low 3), but shouldn't have made the list. No comment on All Dogs Go to Heaven as I haven't seen it since probably 1990.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 1213315)
No comment on All Dogs Go to Heaven as I haven't seen it since probably 1990.
Same here, but I needed stuff to put on my list and I remember that movie as something I really liked back then.

Chardee MacDennis 12-02-14 05:27 PM

Might've seen All Dogs Go to Heaven when i was younger. No interest in rewatching it.

Haven't seen Surf's Up and probably won't. It looks like the majority of **** animations they've been bringing out the last few years. Happy Feet, Over the Hedge, Flushed Away etc.

I'm pretty sure From Up on the Poppy Hill didn't make my list, it may have, but it's disappointing that it lost out to these two.

weeman 12-02-14 05:30 PM

Neither of these were on my list. It makes me even more upset that Surf's Up has made it and my precious toaster hasn't. :(

Miss Vicky 12-02-14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chardee MacDennis (Post 1213318)
Haven't seen Surf's Up and probably won't. It looks like the majority of **** animations they've been bringing out the last few years. Happy Feet, Over the Hedge, Flushed Away etc.
Happy Feet's not great, but those others are quite good.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by weeman (Post 1213319)
Neither of these were on my list. It makes me even more upset that Surf's Up has made it and my precious toaster hasn't. :(
Well, that's what you get for never making SEXY HITLER II. You should have done that and asked me to put TOASTER on my list.

JayDee 12-02-14 05:40 PM

Of the one pointers I've got to say I was a little surprised at Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs being there. Wasn't on my list but I thought it was quite a witty, visually creative little film. Not saying it should have made the top 100 but just 1 point seems harsh.

I feel bad about Over the Hedge not making my list now. Sorry Vicky. :( It may well have made it on to the tail end of my list if I've gotten round to rewatching it beforehand. And it looks like I should try and watch The Secret of NIMH sometime. Never stumbled across it in childhood and I don't think I'd even heard of it until fairly recently

I do however have the first from my list. I had Surf's Up at #18. I agree with Vicky that it's just a really funny little film that's got some terrific visuals and the mockumentary format is entertaining and something a bit different.

rauldc14 12-02-14 06:12 PM

Toaster DIDNT make it!?!?!?!? I'm speechless.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 06:17 PM

Obviously that toaster's broken. It never pops up.

Thursday Next 12-02-14 06:29 PM

I saw All Dogs Go to Heaven when I was a kid but don't remember much about it. Haven't even heard of Surf's Up.

The Gunslinger45 12-02-14 06:36 PM

Saw All Dogs go to Heaven as a kid. Was great then but not so much when I rewatched it as an adult. Did not vote for it.

Friendly Mushroom! 12-02-14 06:52 PM

Poppy Hill was 20 on my list and NIMH 16.

rauldc14 12-02-14 06:54 PM

Anyways, I had Brave Little Toaster at number ten and there really was no plausible way to have it any higher. It actually would be 11 today, but I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed it missed out. I kind of wish we could have been strung along the whole time thinking it had a chance, I like it better that way, kind of like Independence Day was strung out and I thought it made the nineties list. Its truly a sad day that it has missed the list, but it needed more voters. That being said, it is without a doubt a film that deserves to be on a top 100 animation list and will be better than many that will show.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1213341)
Anyways, I had Brave Little Toaster at number ten and there really was no plausible way to have it any higher.
Before you knew it didn't make the list, but came very close to. Yes. But not after knowing this.

rauldc14 12-02-14 06:58 PM

Well that's what I'm saying. If I play it fair, that's where it would be. I've never put a film higher on my list because it was in doubt, but now maybe I should?

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1213343)
Well that's what I'm saying. If I play it fair, that's where it would be. I've never put a film higher on my list because it was in doubt, but now maybe I should?
YES.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 07:03 PM

I mean, let's face it -- your list and where you place things on your list depending on how you feel about the movie doesn't really matter.

What matters is GETTING WHAT YOU WANT ON THE OFFICIAL LIST!

That's all that matters. That's all that truly matters. Once the official list has been revealed and read, everyone's little paltry lists don't matter at all anymore. They are instantly all extinct. What's left is what's going on the official list. So it's all about getting what you really want on the official list. You can be cutesy and say, "Oh, but I really like this movie only THAT much, so that's why I didn't have it any higher....." But then don't complain if the movie doesn't make it. You had some fault in that. You had your chance and you blew it. I know how it is. I've blown it before with movies.

rauldc14 12-02-14 07:05 PM

True. I put it two spots higher and it would have showed. Silly me.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1213346)
True. I put it two spots higher and it would have showed. Silly me.
It's okay. You have no free will.

The Gunslinger45 12-02-14 07:20 PM

If I had put Coffy a few spots higher it would have made the 70's list. :(

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1213350)
If I had put Coffy a few spots higher it would have made the 70's list. :(
Same here, my brother of blaxploitation.

The Gunslinger45 12-02-14 07:26 PM

Now I am hoping my number 1 even shows up. But I expect quiet a few of my overall list to show.

Swan 12-02-14 07:32 PM

1. The Godfather

Friendly Mushroom! 12-02-14 07:32 PM

I don't think that film is animated. I think it's live action.

Sexy Celebrity 12-02-14 07:34 PM

Every time you see Marlon Brando in The Godfather, it's actually an animation.

Harry Lime 12-02-14 07:35 PM

Surf's Up? You people disgust me.

Camo 12-02-14 07:36 PM

First of all thanks a lot MV for taking the time to do this.

I really liked All DOGS as a kid but doubt I'd like it now. Not seen Surfs Up.

Friendly Mushroom! 12-02-14 07:36 PM

I haven't seen any of the Godfathers yet (I'm going to very shortly after Christmas) so I don't know how animated Brando is in that movie. Sorry about that but I still don't think those films count as an animated movie for Miss. Vicky's list.