Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Captain Spaulding's Favorite Movies of 2013 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38335)

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 12:19 AM

Captain Spaulding's Favorite Movies of 2013

mirror
mirror

Captain Spaulding's
Favorite Movies of 2013

\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps271d9857.jpg
"Um, surely you mean 2014, right, Captain? I mean, it's the end of the year. Nobody cares about 2013 anymore."

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...pskmgiovru.gif

\/
\/
\/

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67fc405f.jpg

People are compiling their best-of-the-year lists for 2014, but I believe in being thorough, and it generally takes me several months into the following year before I've seen the majority of films that I wanted to see. Since I live in a small town, I typically have to wait until movies are released on DVD & Blu-ray to see the most buzz-worthy films of the year. As of right now, for instance, I've only seen about 30 films from 2014, most of which aren't very good, compared to nearly 150 films released in 2013. I was hoping to compile this list at least three or four months ago and put a lot more work into it, writing full-length reviews about each film, but obviously that would take way too long. Hopefully next year I can get around to my favorite films of 2014 before New Year's Eve.

Some of these entries are technically 2012 films, but I say f**k technicalities. If a film first premiered in front of a hundred people at some random festival two years ago, but wasn't released in theaters until 2013 for regular moviegoers like myself and the rest of the world, then for the purposes of this list I'm including it as a 2013 release.

Now on with the unveiling!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0...gd02o1_400.gif

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 12:45 AM

#20) Elysium
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5c7b1d88.jpg
Director: Neill Blomkamp
Starring: Matt Damon; Jodie Foster; Sharlto Copley

Despite generally positive reviews, I don't know a single person who liked Elysium. All my friends received it with a shrug and a "meh," but I enjoyed it quite a bit in the theater, and I enjoyed it even more when I re-watched it on DVD. The film's themes about immigration and health care are blatantly obvious, but compared to typically empty summer blockbusters, I give Elysium credit for having something to say while still delivering action and excitement, even if its message is too heavy-handed. I loved the Mad Max aesthetic of dystopian Earth with the dichotomy of Elysium's luxury. I thought the special effects were very impressive. The action scenes delivered. Sharlto Copley's over-the-top villainous performance was fun to watch. Sure, the romantic subplot is hackneyed, but I say that about almost every movie. I also appreciate Elysium's audacity to carry through with its intended ending, since so many films fail to bite the bullet when it comes to their hero's fate for fear of alienating a portion of the audience. Compared to District 9, one of the best science-fiction films of the new millennium, Elysium is a step down for director Neill Blomkamp, but if this had been a debut feature without heightened expectations, I think audiences would have enjoyed it much more than they did. Or maybe not. Maybe it's just one of those movies that oddly appeals to me and nobody else.

#19) Her
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92699b19.jpg
Director: Spike Jonze
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix; Scarlett Johansson; Amy Adams

Unlike most films on this list, I've only seen Her once, and my last viewing was nearly a year ago. Otherwise it would probably be a few spots higher. The premise of a man falling in love with an operating system doesn't sound like a very engaging film, but thanks to an intelligent, multi-layered script by Spike Jonze and a tender, touching performance by Joaquin Phoenix, Her works wonderfully. Scarlet Johansson's sultry voice is the perfect fit for Samantha. I quickly fell in love with her and never viewed her as a computer but as a living being with the unfortunate handicap of not having a body. Looking back on the film, it's easy to forget that Phoenix was essentially acting with himself, since his character's relationship with Samantha felt so tangible. As someone who has been in a long-distance relationship, I was able to relate to some of their struggles, especially when it comes to issues of intimacy. The script juggles numerous themes with expertise, the most obvious being our increasing inability to interact with others due to how plugged-in our society has become. I thought the idea of hiring someone to write your own personal love letters was both brilliant and damning; I'm sure Hallmark will introduce that department in the near future. The plot takes some twists and turns that are frightening in their implications, like when Samantha reveals that she and other OSes have banded together to give birth to a hyper-intelligent version of a dead philosopher. Her is touching, timely, thought-provoking and wholly original, while also providing audiences with a likely window to our future.

The Gunslinger45 01-01-15 12:48 AM

Re: Captain Spaulding's Favorite Movies of 2013

0 for two right now. Elysium looked silly and I did not see it. I saw Her and did not care for it. You have 18 more chances for rep.

Gatsby 01-01-15 12:52 AM

Never seen Elysium, despite having one of my favorite actor and actress I avoided it because it looked extremely generic. However judging from your write-up it looks decent.

Her is one of my favorite movies of 2013. One of the few films where a whole plot revolving around romance actually works for me, the originality of falling in love with an operating machine and Scarlett Johansson's super-sexy voice helped.

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1229657)
0 for two right now. Elysium looked silly and I did not see it. I saw Her and did not care for it. You have 18 more chances for rep.
#1 through #18: The Wolf of Wall Street

:D

The Gunslinger45 01-01-15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1229659)
#1 through #18: The Wolf of Wall Street

:D
http://img.pandawhale.com/54837-Mr-B...t-gif-HftC.gif

Swan 01-01-15 12:57 AM

Should I expect a movie from 1934 on this list?

seanc 01-01-15 01:02 AM

A whole year behind and thats all you got, two average movies?;)

Just kidding, looking forward to it Captain...but yeah, those are average.

Sexy Celebrity 01-01-15 01:22 AM

Captain Spaulding, this is so sad. You're ringing in the new year with a review of Her.

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1229664)
A whole year behind and thats all you got, two average movies?;)

Just kidding, looking forward to it Captain...but yeah, those are average.
I looked at your top ten for 2013. Seven of those made my own list.

Considering how much weight you put on characters, I'm a little surprised you don't like Her.

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1229680)
Captain Spaulding, this is so sad. You're ringing in the new year with a review of Her.
It's either that or cyber sex. Speaking of which . . . you busy? :randy:

Sexy Celebrity 01-01-15 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1229682)
It's either that or cyber sex. Speaking of which . . . you busy? :randy:
My tub's got a crack in it right now.

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1229684)
My tub's got a crack in it right now.
No problem. I'm good at filling cracks.

Swan 01-01-15 01:32 AM

You know what better be on this list, don't you?

https://blueisthewarmestcolormovie.f...if?w=800&h=323

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1229688)
You know what better be on this list, don't you?
The only same-sex couple going down on each other in this thread will be me and SC.

Swan 01-01-15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1229696)
The only same-sex couple going down on each other in this thread will be me and SC.
https://38.media.tumblr.com/5ebec41b...vedho1_250.gif

Sexy Celebrity 01-01-15 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1229696)
The only thing I'm gonna be doing in this thread is scrolling down.

seanc 01-01-15 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1229681)
I looked at your top ten for 2013. Seven of those made my own list.

Considering how much weight you put on characters, I'm a little surprised you don't like Her.
I was shocked too, because of the hype and my history with Jonze. Maybe it was expectations. It probably deserves a re-watch from me at some point. I didn't hate it though, actually gave it a 3.5 and liked it better than Elysium for sure. I was just giving you a hard time. You can checkout my review if you want.

BlueLion 01-01-15 01:50 AM

Not a fan of Elysium either. I saw it at the cinema when it came out. The way it uses music during the action sequences (which are very annoying by the way, thanks to the shaky cams) made it look like a very long trailer, rather than a film to me.

I rewatched Her the other day and realized that my feelings remain unchanged. There's good stuff in it but the second half of the film doesn't quite work for me for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Sexy Celebrity 01-01-15 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by BlueLion (Post 1229702)
I rewatched Her the other day and realized that my feelings remain unchanged. There's good stuff in it but the second half of the film doesn't quite work for me for some reason. I'm not sure why.
Could it have possibly been when the computer sent a woman to Joaquin Phoenix's apartment to pretend to be the computer having sex with him???

Swan 01-01-15 01:54 AM

Come on guys. Her is great.

Zotis 01-01-15 01:54 AM

Elysium was almost good. It's just too bad they rushed the ending, because the beginning was actually pretty good. It was the only movie I saw in theaters with my roommates that didn't make me want to never watch a movie with them again.

I haven't seen Her, but it looks good.

So... you didn't like Blue Is the Warmest Color? I'm sad.

BlueLion 01-01-15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1229706)
Could it have possibly been when the computer sent a woman to Joaquin Phoenix's apartment to pretend to be the computer having sex with him???
Yeah, that's pretty much when I think it starts to go downhill

Sexy Celebrity 01-01-15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1229706)
Somehow I need to make a MoFo game based on this. Another one of those "Pretend You're" games. Maybe Pretend You're Joaquin Phoenix's Sexy OS and Have Sex With Him. Something like that. I think Miss Vicky would play it.

jiraffejustin 01-01-15 02:10 AM

Haven't seen Elysium, but you know I got that rep for you when you like Her.

If you don't have Blue is the Warmest Color on this list I will take it back though.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 01-01-15 02:16 AM

I loved Her when I first saw it but then I watched it again and didn't love it as much. I still like it though.

gbgoodies 01-01-15 02:24 AM

I haven't seen Elysium, but I thought Her was a great movie.

JacobKyon 01-01-15 02:28 AM

I haven't seen Her, but I didn't like Elysium that much either. It had great potential, but I felt the pacing was off. I think Neill Blomkamp probably let it went to his head after District 9.

Zotis 01-01-15 02:49 AM

The dynamics between Matt Damon and the woman he loves are interesting, and the tragic thing that happens is pretty intense. But Elysium makes this shift into generic action with really lame cliche antagonists that just killed the movie for me.

JayDee 01-01-15 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1229646)
it generally takes me several months into the following year before I've seen the majority of films that I wanted to see.
No need to apologise Cap. It usually takes me several years to catch up on all the films I'd like to see from a particular year. In fact I should be just about ready to post my favourites of 2009 pretty soon. :D

As for your first two choices I'm one of the many people that was left extremely disappointed with Elysium. It was just about my most anticipated film of the year but it just didn't happen; it fell really quite flat for me. I found the characters played by Copley and Foster to be very problematic, they just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the film. For the most part it was trying to be serious and gritty but they then felt like they would be more at home in a trashy B-movie. It would be something akin to a Stanley Kubrick sci-fi populated with characters from a John Carpenter or Paul Verhoeven flick.

As for Her I quite liked it but didn't really get into it for whatever reason. Again it was one I had huge expectations for but it just didn't quite meet them. I seem to remember that a problem I had with it was that I wasn't really sure what it was trying to say about technology in our society, what exactly its message was meant to be. Though perhaps that's more on me than the film. Phoenix was very good but strange as it may sound the performance that really impressed me was Scarlett Johansson's. Given that it was just a vocal performance I thought she was terrific, able to generate a wide range of emotions just through her voice

Her is one I'd definitely like to revisit someday though. In fact even Elysium I may give another shot one day in case my massive expectations sabotaged it

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 12:51 PM

#18) Blue Jasmine
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps33684772.jpg
Director: Woody Allen
Starring: Cate Blanchett; Alec Baldwin; Sally Hawkins

Fifteen years from now, when I finally get around to sharing my list of all-time favorites, expect A Streetcar Named Desire to make the list. Obviously Woody Allen is also a big fan of the film and/or the original Tennessee Williams play. I remember an extended sequence in Sleeper that referenced the film and featured Diane Keaton displaying a surprisingly good impersonation of Marlon Brando's Stanley Kowalski. Now comes Blue Jasmine, which is essentially Woody Allen's modern take on the same story, resurrecting Blanche DuBois in Cate Blanchett's body: a self-destructive, misplaced socialite whose mental faculties are slipping after suffering a nervous breakdown from losing her Bernie Madoff-inspired husband, as well as the entitled lifestyle and luxury that came with being his wife. Cate Blanchett deserved every accolade that she received for her powerhouse performance. Despite being difficult to like, it's impossible not to feel sorry for her character's plight, in large part due to Blanchett's damaged, soul-revealing vulnerability. The rest of the cast is also very good. Sally Hawkins gives one of the best supporting performances of 2013, and I also enjoyed the supporting turns from Louie C.K. and Andrew Dice Clay. Blue Jasmine utilizes flashbacks to maximum effect, peeling back the layers of Jasmine's past like an exposé, where each revelation becomes more shocking and depressing. I'm also thankful that Woody Allen didn't cast himself in the film, nor insert himself into the script. In fact, if not for the opening credits and some of the dialogue, I'd never know that this is a Woody Allen film. I consider that a good thing, since I'm not the biggest fan. In my opinion, this is one of his best films, and possibly my second favorite after Annie Hall.

#17) Captain Phillips
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...psf967f355.jpg
Director: Paul Greengrass
Starring: Tom Hanks; Barkhad Abdi

I don't pay much attention to the news, so even though I vaguely recall the hijacking incident a few years ago, I know nothing about the details of what transpired. My ignorance of real world events probably enhanced my enjoyment of this captivating motion picture and made it less predictable for me than for those who are more familiar with the true story. I was on the edge of my seat during the entire film. Greengrass directs in a way that makes the audience feel as we're right there with the characters, our lives at risk as we experience the same panic, fear, adrenaline and claustrophobia as the people on screen. Tom Hanks is exceptional as the titular Captain Phillips, exhibiting poise and confidence in the face of danger while maintaining subtle cracks of vulnerability. Hanks balances the leadership qualities of the character without losing the Everyman attributes that have turned him into one of the most relatable and likable Hollywood stars of his generation. He deserved an Academy Award nomination for his performance. Newcomer Barkhad Abdi is equally excellent. The film's biggest strength is its ability to allow the audience to empathize with the pirates and their increasing sense of desperation. Straddling the line between documentary realism and Hollywood thriller, Captain Phillips is one of the most thrilling, intense, emotionally exhausting films of 2013.

The Gunslinger45 01-01-15 12:53 PM

I did not see Blue Jasmine. But I did see Captain Phillips. I thought it was very well done. But just like Zero Dark Thirty I think it went on too long in the 3rd act. But still a good movie. Was kinda surprised it did not get many Oscar nods.

cricket 01-01-15 12:57 PM

I like this because I tend to fall behind on recent movies.

I've seen about 8 Woody Allen movies now, all in 2014, and I believe Blue Jasmine was my favorite. I was very happy to see The Diceman do some quality work.

I liked Captain Phillips a lot too, but I think I will eventually forget about it.

I haven't seen the other 2 yet.

JayDee 01-01-15 01:14 PM

Not seen Blue Jasmine and with it being a Woody Allen film it's not exactly at the top of my watchlist.

As a technical achievement I think Captain Phillips is excellent but it wasn't the type of film I was able to take to my heart. However like Gunslinger I was surprised that it didn't have more of a presence at the Oscars. Tom Hanks in particular I think can feel particularly aggrieved. His performance in the last few minutes especially was just astonishing; so raw and heart-breaking. One of the most affecting bits of acting I've ever seen

I did a review a while back if you'd be interested Cap - Captain Phillips review

christine 01-01-15 02:01 PM

I liked Elysium . Saw it at the cinema and again on TV yesterday. Ok so it's a forthright allegory, not very subtle , like District 9 but even so it's a decent action film.

seanc 01-01-15 02:03 PM

Now we are talkimg. I loved both of these. Blue Jasmine is one of my faves from Allen, and I am a fan. Blanchett is other worldly.

Captain Phillips is an edge of your seat action thriller done right.

Great choices

Swan 01-01-15 02:05 PM

Cate Blanchett is so cool.

Captain Spaulding 01-01-15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1230137)
Cate Blanchett is so cool.
I've never touched her, but I'll take your word for it. Next time give her a blanket.

She's one of my favorite actresses -- the kind whose mere presence makes every movie better. I also find her quite attractive in a regal, dignified sense. Her bone structure is exquisite.

tracy.lake2002 01-01-15 03:24 PM

Nice one

Captain Spaulding 01-02-15 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 1230092)
His performance in the last few minutes especially was just astonishing; so raw and heart-breaking. One of the most affecting bits of acting I've ever seen
Agreed. That's the moment that put the movie over the top for me.

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 1230092)
I did a review a while back if you'd be interested Cap - Captain Phillips review
You never miss an opportunity to pimp your reviews, do you? :rolleyes:;D

I read and +repped that review back when you posted it. In fact, if you scroll down that same page just a bit, you'll see my brief comment followed by my awesome post in defense of Herzog and Aguirre, the Wrath of God that I wrote in response to your unenthusiastic mini-musing you had written a few days earlier. I know how you like being shown up in your own thread. :D:laugh:

I searched to see if you had written a review for Elysium, but the only one that came up was from seanc (which was a very good review, btw, seanc -- even if I disagree with your opinion that there can ever be too many action scenes; I mean, that's like complaining about a movie having too much nudity :cool:).

JayDee 01-02-15 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1230588)
You never miss an opportunity to pimp your reviews, do you? :rolleyes:;D
Nice to see it hasn't taken you all that long to get to know me and what I'm all about. :laugh:

I read and +repped that review back when you posted it.
Oh I see. For some reason I just assumed you wouldn't have seen it. Not sure if I was thinking that the review was a good bit older or what

seanc 01-02-15 11:50 AM

I mean, that's like complaining about a movie having too much nudity :cool:).
See my opinion on Game Of Thrones.:D

Captain Spaulding 01-04-15 03:26 PM

#16) Byzantium
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...pscc1f6402.jpg
Director: Neil Jordan
Starring: Saoirse Ronan; Gemma Arterton

Thanks to Twilight, vampires are no longer viewed as monstrous creatures who hide in the shadows and feast on blood. Instead they shine like diamonds in the sun and mope and pout and fall in love with high school girls. So color me surprised when I fell under the spell of Byzantium despite it bearing more resemblance to Edward Cullen than Nosferatu. Byzantium breaks numerous vampire rules (the biggest offense: no fangs -- the characters grow a talon instead). The film is moody, drenched in angst and dreary atmosphere; the writing is sharp; the visuals are lush. I've been impressed with Saoirse Ronan since Atonement; she continues to prove herself as one of the most talented and promising young actresses. Gemma Arterton is appropriately sexy and alluring. My favorite aspect of the film is how deftly it weaves the flashbacks into the narrative, effectively telling two stories at once. The flashbacks resemble the traditionally Gothic narrative, invoking Bram Stoker, Anne Rice and others, while the modern day narrative is a superior take to the post-Twilight portrayal of vampires. In my opinion, Byzantium is the most overlooked film of 2013. (Of course, I'm completely ignoring the fact that it technically debuted in 2012, because f**k you, Swan! :p) One of the better vampire movies I've seen.

#15) Dallas Buyers Club
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf06bed7.jpg
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Starring: Matthew McConaughey; Jared Leto; Jennifer Garner

It's one thing to witness actors exhaust themselves emotionally while the camera is rolling, but when the commitment to their craft bleeds into the real world, taking a physical toil on their bodies and their health, my respect rises tenfold. Suddenly the acting feels less like an occupation, less like a choice. It loses its glamour and becomes an obsession. It's the sort of mentality more often seen in athletes than actors. The sight of the malnourished bodies of McConaughey and Leto in the biographical Dallas Buyers Club inspire pity and shock, yet their physical transformations also provide a level of realism and empathy needed for the story to reach its potential. I actually think the performances are better than the movie itself, since the writing and directing feel a bit too workmanlike at times. At least the script steers clear of the emotionally manipulative tricks typical of movies that portray HIV or other life-threatening diseases. Despite being firmly in Woodroof's corner, the movie doesn't shy away from showing his selfish, ugly side as well. I also admire the movie's ability to take several well-deserved jabs at the medical community, pharmaceutical trials and the FDA without oversimplifying the complicated nature of such matters. Overall, Dallas Buyers Club does a lot right, but it's the career-best performances of McConaughey and Leto that maximize the movie's potential, turning a good movie into a great movie.

Sexy Celebrity 01-04-15 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1420400955

You didn't think Rayon was too much of a stereotype?

- Gay
- Wears women's clothes
- Has AIDS

I mean, she makes Hollywood Montrose look like Rambo.

seanc 01-04-15 03:53 PM

Of those two I have only seen Dallas Buyer's Club. Like most I thought the performances were great, beyond that it didn't do a lot for me. It was the second movie in a year that I had seen that is singing the praises of illegal self medicating and then as an after thought tells you, "yeah that didn't work worth a flip either". That really bugged me.

rauldc14 01-04-15 03:55 PM

Dallas Buyers Club is 6/10. I liked McConnaughey but I didn't get the fuss over Leto.

Swan 01-04-15 04:05 PM

Byzantium rocks.

cricket 01-04-15 11:12 PM

I thought Dallas Buyer's Club was very good. It's just not a movie I'd want to watch over and over again.

Byzantium sounds pretty good.

BlueLion 01-05-15 01:57 AM

Dig both these films.

Captain Spaulding 01-05-15 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1231964)
You didn't think Rayon was too much of a stereotype?

I mean, she makes Hollywood Montrose look like Rambo.
Rayon may possess stereotypical traits, but unlike Hollywood Montrose, she isn't a caricature.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 01-06-15 12:24 AM

i thought blue jasmine was really good, and it's also my second favorite allen, after annie hall.

captain phillips was pretty good and one of the tensest thrillers i've seen in a while.

dallas buyers club is pretty good but mostly because of leto and matty m. otherwise it's pretty much average.

Captain Spaulding 01-06-15 03:57 PM

#14) Prisoners
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps675125f2.jpg
Director: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Hugh Jackman; Jake Gyllenhaal; Paul Dano; Terrence Howard; Viola Davis

I've seen a few members of the forum say that they prefer the similarly themed Big Bad Wolves of the same year, which surprises me, since I personally found Big Bad Wolves a bit cartoonish in its execution and lacking the moral ambiguity and suspense that made Prisoners the best thriller of 2013. Unless Sexy Celebrity and I adopt at some point in the future, I doubt I'll ever have kids, so I can't even imagine the level of panic and fear that a parent must experience when a child is abducted. However, thanks to Hugh Jackman's career best performance, I now know what such a feeling looks like. If the Best Actor pool hadn't been so stacked with talent, I'd say Jackman deserved a nomination for exposing himself to such a dark frame of mind, since he perfectly embodies the anguish, fear, frustration and desperation of his character. Paul Dano is turning into one of my favorite character actors; his role in Prisoners does nothing to change that. Gyllenhaal imbues his intense performance with just a hint of mischief, which adds yet another piece to the puzzle, since at times I questioned if he had something to do with the disappearances. (The fact that he's named Loki almost serves as a red herring.)

I don't think Prisoners is perfect. I agree that it's too long, and I think it stumbles toward the finish line; but it's also an incredibly suspenseful, dark, disturbing, thought-provoking thriller with gorgeous cinematography and a host of strong performances from a great cast. If I didn't know better, I'd think Fincher directed this film, which is a huge compliment. What made Prisoners so effective for me personally is how well it played with my ethics and made me question what was right and what was wrong. When it seemed that Dano's character was guilty, I justified Jackman's barbaric method of interrogation. Despite cringing at the torture, I felt that Jackman's character should do whatever it took to find his daughter before it was too late. Then a later development would reveal that Dano's character might be innocent, which would cause me to feel an immense sense of self-guilt and disgust at how I had encouraged such actions. In my opinion, that's the sign of a successful film: forcing viewers to feel uncomfortable, to feel incriminated, to put themselves in the same situation and ask: how far would I go?

#13) American Hustle
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...pse3944aa3.jpg
Director: David O. Russell
Starring: Christian Bale; Amy Adams; Bradley Cooper; Jennifer Lawrence; Jeremy Renner

I caught American Hustle in the theater on opening day. At the time it was considered the frontrunner for Best Picture. Given the hype and the phenomenal cast, my expectations were huge. I'm not going to say that I disliked it, but I was very disappointed and underwhelmed. I walked out of the theater thinking that it was the most overrated movie I had seen in years. Thank God for second chances. I rented American Hustle a few months later and re-watched it with family, even telling them beforehand to temper their expectations. Perhaps it was the fact that my own expectations were no longer shackled to the film, or that I already knew how the complicated plot played out, allowing me to focus all my attention on the characters and all their little idiosyncrasies, but my opinion did a complete 180.

In place of the muddled, sprawling, slightly dull mess of a film I had initially experienced, I found one of the most vibrant, playful, funny, entertaining films of the year. The soundtrack is excellent. The performances are excellent. The writing is excellent. Watching a hefty Christian Bale perfect his elaborate comb-over, or Jennifer Lawrence drunkenly strut and sing along to "Live and Let Die," or Bradley Cooper's hilarious interruptions of Louie C.K.'s ice-fishing story, is an absolute blast. Adams and Lawrence are two of my favorite modern actresses. Both are superb in the film -- not to mention sexy as hell in their revealing outfits. The hairstyles and wardrobe choices are simultaneously awesome and comical. The cast displays impeccable chemistry. I still think the film gets off to an unnecessarily slow start, due to the voice-overs and the backtracking for each character, but once the movie gets out of its own way and the actors' showcase begins, American Hustle transforms into an exhilarating ride that it is almost Scorsese-like in execution.

seanc 01-06-15 05:02 PM

I thought Prisoners was a good thriller. I agree it stumbled at the finish, but I probably dinged it a little more than you for it. Thrillers that entertain me throughout and then fumble at the goal are kind of a pet peeve of mine. I just feel too many do it.

Glad you gave American Hustle a second chance. I agree with everything you said about your second viewing, this movie was never meant to be about the story. Hustle was my #2 of the year behind Gravity. I love them both. I am interested to see where your list goes. I feel like you either love or hate Gravity, in other words have strong feelings about it, but can't remember which.

Arcanis 01-06-15 05:09 PM

I like American Hustle, but I can't help but feel like it is less than the sum of its parts. You have Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and an uncredited Robert DeNiro, in a movie that's written and directed by David O. Russell. It basically combines the talents of The Fighter (great film) and Silver Linings Playbook (better film), but fails to live up to either of its forebearers. It simply wasn't as exciting, endearing or entertaining as the films it was chasing. And although it was a good film in its own right, it was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

But seeing how your initial reaction seemed to have been nearly identical to my own, I might have to give it another chance. I love being proven wrong about a bad / disappointing movie.

Sexy Celebrity 01-06-15 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1233098)
I've seen a few members of the forum say that they prefer the similarly themed Big Bad Wolves of the same year, which surprises me
It surprises you?

Everyone's heard of Prisoners. Nobody's heard of Big Bad Wolves. That's why certain people from this forum prefer it, obviously.

cricket 01-06-15 08:19 PM

American Hustle and Prisoners are both the kind of movies I gravitate to, and I loved both of them.

I hated Big Bad Wolves.

The Gunslinger45 01-06-15 08:24 PM

Prisoners was fantastic! American Hustle was my biggest disappointment of last year.

rauldc14 01-06-15 08:24 PM

#13 for Hustle in 2013 is way too low I say. But that's my opinion. Hopefully Gravity is top 5.

Sexy Celebrity 01-06-15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1233211)
#13 for Hustle in 2013 is way too low I say. But that's my opinion. Hopefully Gravity is top 5.
Hopefully gravity brought Gravity down to the very, very bottom.

rauldc14 01-06-15 08:27 PM

I know Captain likes Gravity, so that won't be the case, SC.

Captain Spaulding 01-10-15 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1233124)
It surprises you?

Everyone's heard of Prisoners. Nobody's heard of Big Bad Wolves. That's why certain people from this forum prefer it, obviously.
Plus it's foreign. Slap some subtitles on Jack and Jill and people will consider it an insightful, profound examination of gender inequality.

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1233115)
I am interested to see where your list goes.
Eight of the remaining twelve should be favorably received. The other four not so much.

I had planned on getting through this thing pretty quickly, but I've been too busy shaking hands and kissing babies and delivering speeches on my worldwide campaign tour.

Originally Posted by Arcanis (Post 1233117)
I like American Hustle, but I can't help but feel like it is less than the sum of its parts. You have Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and an uncredited Robert DeNiro, in a movie that's written and directed by David O. Russell. It basically combines the talents of The Fighter (great film) and Silver Linings Playbook (better film), but fails to live up to either of its forebearers. It simply wasn't as exciting, endearing or entertaining as the films it was chasing. And although it was a good film in its own right, it was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

But seeing how your initial reaction seemed to have been nearly identical to my own, I might have to give it another chance. I love being proven wrong about a bad / disappointing movie.
Definitely give it another chance. I caught the second half of it yesterday on one of the movie channels and found myself wishing that I hadn't already posted that write-up so I could bump it up a couple of spots. It's definitely the type of movie that gets better and better on multiple viewings, as the best movies always do.

With movies like American Hustle, where the strength of the movie lies in the characters, I find that the plot sometimes gets in the way on a first viewing. When you re-visit such movies, however, you can just put your feet up and hang out with the characters, much like you can with Tarantino's movies, for example.