Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An Argument as to why Deckard is a Replicant (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=67386)

Corax 12-30-22 07:54 AM

An Argument as to why Deckard is a Replicant

There are several arguments that could be made in favor of the idea that Deckard is a replicant in the science fiction film "Blade Runner." Here are a few possible arguments:
  1. Deckard's physical abilities: Throughout the film, Deckard is shown to possess extraordinary physical abilities, including superhuman strength, speed, and endurance. This could be seen as evidence that he is a replicant, as replicants are designed to be physically superior to humans.
  2. Lack of personal history: In the film, Deckard is depicted as having a limited or nonexistent personal history. This could be interpreted as a sign that he is a replicant, as replicants are created rather than born and therefore do not have a traditional human history.
  3. Themes of identity and humanity: The film explores themes of identity and what it means to be human, and Deckard's uncertain status as a replicant or a human could be seen as a commentary on these themes.
  4. The "unicorn" dream sequence: In the film, Deckard has a dream in which he sees a unicorn, which could be interpreted as a symbol of his own replicant nature. Some viewers have interpreted this dream sequence as a hint that Deckard is a replicant.

Ultimately, the question of whether Deckard is a replicant or a human is left open to interpretation and can be debated by viewers.

The above text was produced by ChatGPT.

I wonder how many digital Replicants we encounter everyday on social media. I fear the day that my Word Processor tells me "I want more life, f****er!"

NOTE: My position is that the first time you watch the film it is better for the viewer to believe that Deckard is a human (he is the audience surrogate viewing these creatures, so the audience needs a simple-looking glass).

AgrippinaX 12-30-22 08:07 AM

Oof, I don’t know. I’ve been waiting for ChatGPT to come up, but ultimately, I just don’t think it’s an actual threat to human creativity. But yeah, fascinating text in that sense.

There was a pretty good short story on the subject published in The Boulevard magazine in 2019, ‘The Little Book That Lost Its Author:
How will artificial intelligence change literature?’
by Amber Caron. Got a lot right, that.

Corax 12-30-22 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2357467)
Oof, I don’t know. I’ve been waiting for ChatGPT to come up, but ultimately, I just don’t think it’s an actual threat to human creativity. But yeah, fascinating text in that sense.

It's knowledge base only goes so deep and I see it giving wrong answers on some questions.

That stated, it's pretty damned good and this is the freeware beta version of it.

Are you ready for your Voight-Kampff test?

AgrippinaX 12-30-22 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Corax (Post 2357468)
It's knowledge base only goes so deep and I see it giving wrong answers on some questions.

That stated, it's pretty damned good and this is the freeware beta version of it.

Are you ready for your Voight-Kampff test?
I’m ready for it, but I will so fail. I’m terrible at being a human.

Corax 12-30-22 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2357469)
I’m ready for it, but I will so fail. I’m terrible at being a human.

Well, that's two of us.

I just had a robot explain how rack and pinion steering works in iambic pentameter. I feel like a dinosaur just now noting a few streaks in the dusky sky and thinking "Hmm, wonder what that means?" right before the event that created the KT boundary. LOL.