Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My favourite movie/TV psychopathic or plain scary characters (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47709)

Bunker Wise 01-10-17 01:56 AM

My favourite movie/TV psychopathic or plain scary characters

1) my favourite psychopathic character would have to be Kakihara from the Japanese film itchy the killer. this disturbing character is a sadomasochist meaning he enjoys torture as well as giving it. Also as a character he dresses a lot like the joker just with A bit of a grunge image. so it's very likely Heath ledger used Kakiharas appearance for inspiration. Also like the joker he has scars running across his cheeks but his scars open up like Gilles when he smokes. Kakihara is a bit like Ramsey in Game of Thrones just if Ramsey would do to himself what he did too his victims like Reak. Kakihara is the stuff of nightmares if hellraiser got hold of him he would probably enjoy it.

2) John Doe in the movie seven. what's so intriguing about this anonymous character and what makes him more dangerous then most psychos is he truly believes what he's doing is right. And his ability to rationalise what he does to his victims. He's also very intelligent and patient. Although his actions are vile and extreme through the course of the film you are made to see through his eyes. as you see this sick polluted and city full of scumbags and injustices. John Doe was a man who could take no more.

3) Hannibal) Hannibal used to be a therapist and he could see through anybody and psychologically play with peoples minds. He has piercing eyes like a Prana. And also like a prana he has a first for blood and will make artworks of his victims corpses and cannibalise people whether they are dead or living. he is also a genius manipulator.

4) Alex from clockwork Orange don't let is schoolboyish charm for you. His main hobbies are classical music violence and rape. And he enjoys insanity it's natural to him and in his nature. And he's obsessed with Mozart proving even psychos can have a brilliant taste in music.

5) Norman Bates psycho. Possibly the most famous movie psycho path of all time. And may of kicked off Americans obsession with serial killers. First impression Norman Bates seems like a kind innocent young man. But he's got some serious mother issues and is highly schizophrenic.

6) The joker from the dark Knight. The joker is a character who enjoys pure chaos and a **** load of firepower. and like Kakihara from itchy the killer he has a longing to Crosspaths with someone who is a challenge for him who potentially could bring an end to him. If the joker had it his way we would live in a world without rules.

7) Patrick Bateman American psycho. Bateman lives in a world of materialism and self obsession. and all of this in his life his job his wealth acts as a perfect disguise to mask what he really is which is a bloodthirsty serial killer Who enjoys abusing women and generally treating women like objects. And if his bloodthirsty nature isn't satisfied he feels on the edge of going on a rampage. he has a very unhealthy Outlook on people and is often envious of his co-workers if they have a better apartment or business card than he does. But through all the terror he causes. Having a great image good job and being considered a polite and insightful young man Is enough to raise doubts of him being a cold-blooded serial killer

8) Ramsey Bolton Game of Thrones. Ramsey is so sadistic that he is probably the most hated character in TV history and what he does to Theon conditioning him into beat dog Who answers by the name Reak is truly hard to watch

9) sugar from the film no country for old men. What makes this character so menacing is the lack of feeling about taking a life and the enjoyment he gets from his sadistic game of flipping a coin. His weaponry choices including an air tank which makes a frightening noise. But most of all its his appearance he looks like a pale faced Frankenstein with a creepy smile even his voice is enough to give anyone the creeps.

10) Max Katie Cape fear.

11) Micky and Maroly Natural born killers

12) David the guest

14) Negan The walking dead

15) Rick Grimes The walking dead. The reason I got him on this list is that when he made his first kill on the series you could see in his eyes that he took pleasure in it. And that's the funny thing people would say Shane was the psycho but when Shane killed for the first time he couldn't keep it together what he done. he even shaved off his hair and acted on edge. But Rick Grimes did not bat an eye. And if it went for his group that he has to protect he would be an all-out serial killer

So they're probably my top 15 movie psychopaths. originally I did want to include Roy from Blade Runner but I didn't for two reasons first being that he wasn't a evil psycho he just did evil things because he wanted to live and for his people to have A longer lifespan. And secondly because I wasn't including any characters with superhuman strength. But I remember watching blade runner as a kid and I remember thinking his character truly embodies fear. And that should be the ingredient to any movie psycho path an actor who can use his of her mannerisms to provoke fear and intensity to the scene. And so many actors fail to do this. and end up looking like there trying to hard like Jesse Eisenberg in Batman versus Superman or Jarod Leto in suicide squad.

Who are your favourite movie psychopaths or least favourite ?

SeeingisBelieving 01-10-17 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bunker Wise (Post 1625583)
Who are your favourite movie psychopaths or least favourite ?
I think my favourite is Andy Robinson as Scorpio in Dirty Harry.

You've already mentioned several of my other favourites, especially Heath Ledger's Joker, but also Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman. Hannibal Lecter is a good one and Brian Cox is my favourite because he's so low key and superficially normal (something he derived from the serial killer Peter Manuel – ITV have just dramatised the case as In Plain Sight). Also in Manhunter I liked Tom Noonan as Francis Dollarhyde, the Tooth Fairy.

Some other favourites would be Hugh Keays-Byrne's Toecutter in Mad Max, Ron Silver as Eugene Hunt in Blue Steel and Christopher Walken as Max Zorin in A View to a Kill.

I'm being ultra-selective here in terms of the definition of a psychopath. I'm classing it as murderous and with no empathy.

McConnaughay 01-10-17 05:19 PM

Re: My favourite movie/TV psychopathic or plain scary characters

Hannibal (not Anthony Hopkins, though, he's alright, but Mads Mikkelson)and Dexter come to mind.

TONGO 01-10-17 05:31 PM

Bunk mentioned a bunch I would have listed. Heres some more.

Adebisi from OZ

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130917032758

Stansfield from Leon: The Professional

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7e1349ebb3.jpg

Tommy from Goodfellas.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3CU9QjErtnI8E/giphy.gif

SeeingisBelieving 01-10-17 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1625772)
Hannibal (not Anthony Hopkins, though, he's alright, but Mads Mikkelson)and Dexter come to mind.
Yeah, Dexter's a good one.

Hopkins is my least favourite Lecter because of the way he signals Lecter's insanity, as if because Lecter's been caught he doesn't need to pretend any more. Whereas Mads Mikkelsen and Brian Cox's Lecter seems to be someone who isn't defined by society, only his own interests. I also like Gaspard Ulliel a lot, even though as Lecter he sticks out as someone to be worried about :p;). Loved the revenge story too.

Bunker Wise 01-10-17 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1625772)
I love Dexter The first two seasons anyway. And I love the voice-over in the show which I feel was very loosely inspired bye Clive Owens voice-over role in Sin City. But as far as I can tell apocalypse now started that trend. Which brings me to mention I forgot to list one of the best psycho paths of all time Kernel Kurt's from apocalypse now which is probably my favourite Brando performance alongside streetcar named desire. Also a character I should've mentioned is Edward Norton in America x history.

thegodfather 01-11-17 07:19 AM

-Hannibal Lecter in 'Silence of the Lambs'
-Frank Booth in 'Blue Velvet'
-Patrick Bateman in 'American Psycho'
-Malcolm McDowell in 'A Clockwork Orange'

Ultraviolence 01-11-17 08:53 AM

1)Myun-ga/Seok-tae both played by Yun-seok Kim!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-86Jks6xYta.../s1600/url.jpg
Myun-ga - The Yellow Sea
He is brutal, ruthless, and scary as hell.
http://pm1.narvii.com/6058/18a9ebed8...12b6f74_hq.jpg
Seok-tae - Hwayi: Monster Boy
This is the most cold and envious character ever!

2) Young-min Jee - The Chaser
3) Mr. Blonde - Reservoir Dogs
4) Kyung-chul - I Saw the Devil

Bunker Wise 01-11-17 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ultraviolence (Post 1626006)
1)Myun-ga/Seok-tae both played by Yun-seok Kim!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-86Jks6xYta.../s1600/url.jpg
Myun-ga - The Yellow Sea
He is brutal, ruthless, and scary as hell.
http://pm1.narvii.com/6058/18a9ebed8...12b6f74_hq.jpg
Seok-tae - Hwayi: Monster Boy
This is the most cold and envious character ever!

2) Young-min Jee - The Chaser
3) Mr. Blonde - Reservoir Dogs
4) Kyung-chul - I Saw the Devil
I'm unfamiliar with some of those characters i'll check out the trailers

SeeingisBelieving 01-11-17 12:54 PM

The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series has a few notable psychopaths, perhaps the most entertaining being George Costigan's brilliant, Peter Lorre-inspired Wilson Kemp in The Greek Interpreter. Then there's the sadistic Baron Gruner in The Illustrious Client, played by Anthony Valentine; and Culverton Smith in The Dying Detective, played by Jonathan Hyde. The last two each get a particularly satisfying comeuppance :).

dragonfly 01-11-17 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1625785)

Adebisi from OZ

Stansfield from Leon: The Professional

Tommy from Goodfellas.
Spot on! Adebisi is a bad ass. But as far as Oz goes I'd put Vern Shillinger or Chris Keller ahead in psychopath status. I think all mine have been mentioned now, John Doe, Patrick Bateman, The Joker, Mickey and Mallory...

Gideon58 01-11-17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bunker Wise (Post 1625583)

10) Max Katie Cape fear. - Max's last name is spelled Cady

11) Micky and Maroly Natural born killers
- Mickey's girlfriend was named Mallory, like Justine Bateman's character on Family Ties

Gideon58 01-11-17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1625785)

Adebisi from OZ
Nice to see some love for Adebisi...he was awesome!

SeeingisBelieving 01-17-17 06:54 PM

Jacqueline Pearce's Servalan in Blake's 7 was a particularly evil character, with many scenes through the series showing her propensity for sadism. There are actually times when it looks as if Servalan might have a conscience, but a loose connection somewhere means that she just carries on being a monster.

Another good one is Clifford Rose's Ludwig Kessler in Secret Army. Psychologically a very interesting character, really well played.

Raven73 01-17-17 07:46 PM

Christopher Walken was brilliant as Mr. Smith in Nick of Time:
"I killed him. He ****ed up one too many times. So, I put a bullet in his eye. Then, I put two more into him just to make sure. Now, that was somebody I loved; I loved him! But I got the call, and I put him down like a sick animal. So... if you got doubts... about what's going to happen if you don't deliver, let me tell you something. I'll make gravy out of your little girl just to season that Black Irish **********'s meat. Now, you do what you're supposed to do, young man. You do it now."

Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrence in The Shining:
"Here's Johnny!"

Sam Rockwell as Wild Bill in The Green Mile:
Harry Terwilliger: "Can you believe this? The son of a b*tch pissed on me!"
William 'Wild Bill' Wharton: "Y'all like that? I'm currently cooking up some turds, to go with it. Nice soft 'uns. Uhhh! Have'em out to y'all tomorrow."

SeeingisBelieving 01-18-17 02:55 PM

Lena Headey's Ma-Ma in Dredd. When I discovered she based the character on a shark and thought about it it was funny because I remembered

WARNING: spoilers below
not only the way she bares her teeth a lot, but also the mini-gun scene where she's in a big close-up and is swaying from side to side – you can almost imagine the shark's tail behind her face :).

Bunker Wise 01-20-17 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1629486)
Lena Headey's Ma-Ma in Dredd. When I discovered she based the character on a shark and thought about it it was funny because I remembered

WARNING: spoilers below
not only the way she bares her teeth a lot, but also the mini-gun scene where she's in a big close-up and is swaying from side to side – you can almost imagine the shark's tail behind her face :).
Love Lena Headey especially in Game of Thrones and in dread her performance was so intense just her Appearance alone is barbaric she ranks pretty high on the piss your pants meter

SeeingisBelieving 01-20-17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bunker Wise (Post 1630290)
Love Lena Headey especially in Game of Thrones and in dread her performance was so intense just her Appearance alone is barbaric she ranks pretty high on the piss your pants meter
What's funny is thinking about the lighter things she's done, like that romantic comedy with Dylan Moran :p. I've just thought back to when she was in Band of Gold as well, and Samantha Morton was good in that as a psychotic character.

SeeingisBelieving 01-21-17 04:54 PM

Really good one that I remembered today: John Osborne as Cyril Kinnear in Get Carter.

Bunker Wise 01-22-17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1630326)
What's funny is thinking about the lighter things she's done, like that romantic comedy with Dylan Moran :p. I've just thought back to when she was in Band of Gold as well, and Samantha Morton was good in that as a psychotic character.
Wow haha I really can't imagine Lena heady playing a nice person. But I saw her in gossip which she has equal measure good and bad qualities. Great film though corny but very entertaining.