Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tony Scott (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64680)

aronisred 08-28-21 10:33 PM

Tony Scott

May he RIP.
But I recently tried to watch man on fire and the editing was horrible. Is he trying to give me a headache or what ? That was the only thing i remember from the movie. I dont think its just this movie. He started using it again and again. It's just unbearable.

ADMIN NOTE: thread title changed

Citizen Rules 08-28-21 10:42 PM

Re: F**K tony scott

You're entitled to your opinion, but making flame threads like this with vulgar hate language in the title really doesn't fit the community environment of MoFo.

cricket 08-28-21 11:59 PM

Domino is like that as well and I was disappointed with both movies. He has quite a few I'm a fan of though.

ironpony 08-29-21 12:17 AM

Domino works because it has a lot of dark comedy and is over the top. So I feel the style works for that movie tone. But Man On Fire is trying to be a more serious and contempary thriller so the editing style falls completely flat for me there. Tony Scott was always hit and miss for me as he has good ones and not so good. Not all of his serious ones have that crazy of an editing style though.

Crimson Tide, True Romance, and Enemy of the State are his best IMO.

crumbsroom 08-29-21 12:26 AM

I just looked at his filmography. And while I don't think I like anything he's ever done, I don't hate the man.

Captain Steel 08-29-21 12:35 AM

Big fan of Crimson Tide (1995).

Wyldesyde19 08-29-21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2234152)
Finally watched this last month and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

pahaK 08-29-21 01:48 AM

From his films, I have a positive memory of The Hunger, The Last Boy Scout, and True Romance. Man on Fire and Domino were OK, I think, and in my memory, the latter was far wilder in style. Crimson Tide I'd need to rewatch as I mostly remember just seeing it.

He's not on par with his brother, but then again, quite few are.

Miss Vicky 08-29-21 02:11 AM

Just don't watch his movies if you don't like his style. :shrug:

I haven't seen Man On Fire and am not a Tony Scott fan myself, other than True Romance which I love.

Aidanc 08-29-21 08:59 AM

Yeah True Romance is by far my favourite of his films too. I thought Man on Fire was decent but I agree that the editing was over the top. Not sure that it quite warrants that level of antipathy though

Yoda 08-29-21 10:10 AM

If I'd seen this earlier I'd have removed it. Now there are too many thoughtful posts (not that the OP has solicited thoughtfulness in any way) to do that, so I'll just say: this isn't appropriate, and anything like it in the future will be promptly removed.

John Dumbear 08-29-21 10:45 AM

Only seen "Crimson Tide" (meh) and " True Romance" (loved).

Sedai 08-30-21 10:43 AM

Re: Tony Scott

I also found the editing in Man on Fire to be annoying, but I like several of his other films, including Top Gun, True Romance, and Crimson Tide.

rambond 09-03-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2234152)
The Last Boyscout and Revenge should be on ur list, underrated flicks

WorkersPeasants 09-18-21 02:26 AM

Incredible filmmaker imo. Nearly flawless filmography

rauldc14 10-06-21 10:32 AM

Re: Tony Scott

Man on Fire is awesome!

Siddon 10-06-21 11:11 AM

He's got a particular style, and it's always worth revisiting his works. He's likely the most consistent action film director in Hollywood.

1. True Romance

2. Crimson Tide

3. Taking of Pelham 123

4. Enemy of the State

5. Days of Thunder

6. Unstoppable

7. The Fan

8. Man on Fire

9. Spy Game

10. Deja Vu

John W Constantine 10-06-21 12:30 PM

The Last Boy Scout