Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Suggestions for future countdowns (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63003)

Austruck 12-30-20 02:42 PM

Suggestions for future countdowns

And I'd like to add that any future countdown have clickable links to where each movie might be found for streaming, rent, or purchase. The site JustWatch.com is great for this...

Yoda 12-30-20 02:45 PM

Re: Suggestions for future countdowns

It would definitely be nice, but the main issue is that every single element added adds up to a lot more work in the long run. In this case I have nowhere to put it design-wise, too.

Now, I can automate more of the process (I wanted to do more of that this time, and I'm open to building more tools for future Curators to this effect), but even then it would either be a) manually collecting each link or b) automated system that just links you to a search results page with the corresponding title.

Unless our data source is linked up with it or JustWatch has an API or something, of course.

Holden Pike 12-30-20 02:53 PM

And I would like either an index of the countdown threads or simply a link from the finished list in the List section back to its corresponding countdown. Please. :)

John W Constantine 12-30-20 02:55 PM

I would like cake and to eat it also

Yoda 12-30-20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2159641)
And I would like either an index of the countdown threads or simply a link from the finished list in the List section back to its corresponding countdown. Please. :)
Not only shall you get it, but I actually added those along with each list as I went...but I was always Just About to redesign the Lists so I ended up never putting the link up there even though it's basically ready. Yes, that's very stupid. Yes, that kinda thing happens a lot: not making the incremental change because I figure I'll fold it into a bigger one.

Anyway, totally on board with that, basically did the legwork on the backend already, will 100% happen.

Austruck 12-30-20 03:06 PM

I mainly just meant a clickable link to a site like JustWatch.com, with search results for that movie. The nice thing about JustWatch is that, if someone saw the countdown a year later and clicked over to JustWatch, it would be *current* places to find that movie, so it would stay fresh and updated. But it would need only a search-results link.

Or even just an occasional reminder in the thread/countdown itself that there is a site to find these movies...

Thanks for all you do!

matt72582 12-30-20 03:11 PM

I know there were talks about expanding the Top 10 into our Top 20.

Is there a way we can help? For example, going to the individual "Movies" section and entering information on not only where, but when a movie can be accessed, maybe even coordinating relevant threads. Maybe if its not too much work, for the time being, pasting the JustWatch link so people at least know about it.

Yoda 12-30-20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2159661)
I know there were talks about expanding the Top 10 into our Top 20.
If we have it's been long enough I don't remember when it was. Anyway, I think this would be unnecessary now that people can make Custom Lists anyway (and do more with them, soon, hopefully).

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2159661)
Is there a way we can help? For example, going to the individual "Movies" section and entering information on not only where, but when a movie can be accessed, maybe even coordinating relevant threads. Maybe if its not too much work, for the time being, pasting the JustWatch link so people at least know about it.
Yeah, outdated information is arguably worse than no information, so it's just a question of whether (and how) to link things up with JustWatch. I think I'll just look into that, see if there's an easy way to do it smoothly. Worst-case I can create an automated link that'll search their site with the title and/or year, which is almost as good with very little effort.

The Rodent 01-12-21 11:32 AM

Was this the thread you meant @Yoda?

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2165406)
Fun Fact

As I alluded to a few days ago, this is the last film on the list that isn't on at least 10 ballots: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King cracks the top 30 while only being on nine. It managed that because five people put it in their top three.
Would be interesting to see an average list based on points-to-lists ratio.

So like, say 10 people voted for Movie X..
And they magically voted for it as a first, second, third, fourth, fifth... all the way to tenth on their lists.
Means Movie X had 205 points over 10 lists... average is 20.5 points.

And say, Movie Y appears on say, also 10 lists... but was ranked, magically and coincidentally, 25th, 24th, 23rd all the way to 16th...
Means it had 55 points... average 5.5 points.

Would be cool to be able to see lists based on averages.

It's also mean a movie could somehow magically end up on say like, 35 lists, but was in everyone's 15th place would give it 560 points, but an average of 16 points (if my math is correct).

Yoda 01-12-21 11:42 AM

Yeah, I could even show you the results of the currently-unveiling list in that order, if people are interested. But I wonder if it should always just be a factoid, rather than something that actually determines list order, since it's not clear if highest average is good or not, since it incentivizes being on fewer ballots! There's like a weird game theory thing, where a film needs to be on enough ballots to make the list, but not so many that it inevitably drags the average down.

Chypmunk 01-12-21 11:45 AM

Please don't change the well established criteria for list orders .... or we'd have to start to redo them all :(

Oh wait, we already have anyway :D

The Rodent 01-12-21 11:51 AM

I just meant an option to see lists ordered as an average.
Think it'd be a fun thing to see the stats.

MovieFan1988 01-12-21 09:50 PM

How about an all time Comedy Movies Countdown list, I would love to see that sometime

Mr Minio 01-12-21 10:15 PM

TOP 100 EROTIC SCENES COUNTDOWN

Let's get the kink goin'!

Citizen Rules 01-12-21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MovieFan1988 (Post 2165628)
How about an all time Comedy Movies Countdown list, I would love to see that sometime
A comedy movie countdown would be good. Maybe Will Ferrell will rule the day:p

Though usually we start talking about the next countdown right after the current one ends in a thread specifically for that...I thought this thread was for request to Yoda about tweaking or changing the sites list stuff and built in codes. I could be wrong.

The Rodent 01-12-21 10:19 PM

Could do another Comic List.

Someone else can can lead it though, I won't get my fingerprints on that train wreck again :D

Yoda 01-12-21 10:21 PM

I am definitely not saying Comedy is a bad idea (it isn't!), but I will predict that it would cause more anger and arguing than maybe any list we've done so far. :laugh:

Citizen Rules 01-12-21 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 2165635)
Could do another Comic List.

Someone else can can lead it though, I won't get my fingerprints on that train wreck again :D
I think a Foreign Language countdown (non English that is) is a popular choice and I'd be for that. What we need is a rock solid host for the next countdown, someone who is reliable and won't bail. So far all the countdown host have been rock solid.

rauldc14 01-12-21 10:24 PM

Id like to see Foreign list next, or just jump straight to a 2010s countdown

rauldc14 01-12-21 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2165638)
I think a Foreign Language countdown (non English that is) is a popular choice and I'd be for that. What we need is a rock solid host for the next countdown, someone who is reliable and won't bail. So far all the countdown host have been rock solid.
I think every host has been Rock solid. Ok maybe not me but the rest.