Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Monty Python & The Holy Grail (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=19502)

RagingBull 05-13-09 05:56 AM

Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Absolutely terrific. Funny, silly and very enjoyable. From the killer rabbit to the knights who say "ni". This movie is on my top list on high enjoyment and non-stop laughter. Who else has seen this comedic masterpiece?

spudracer 05-13-09 08:09 AM

Re: Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Please write a review, if you haven't already. I'd like to see your take on it (other than what's above). :)

rufnek 05-13-09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull (Post 530676)
Absolutely terrific. Funny, silly and very enjoyable. From the killer rabbit to the knights who say "ni". This movie is on my top list on high enjoyment and non-stop laughter. Who else has seen this comedic masterpiece?
My first viewing of MP and the Holy Grail was a silly experience. Apparently hadn't seen any ads for it because I went to the movie thinking it had something to do with Marty Feldman. Marty. Monty. The similar M sound, you see. I had seen the MP crowd on TV, thought they were funny, but obviously wasn't a big fan, hence the lack of name recognition. Took my young sons to the movie. The strange opening with the knights pretending to ride over the hill kind of rocked me for a moment because none of them were Feldman. Then I recognized who I was really watching and came up to speed. The movie had some very funny bits, but I think in some ways Life of Brian was more imaginative and more cutting edge.

RagingBull 05-14-09 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by spudracer (Post 530700)
Please write a review, if you haven't already. I'd like to see your take on it (other than what's above). :)
I always often watch the movie at least twice (and carefully), before I review it. I'm considering to buy it (when I do), I shall write a review.

Classicqueen13 06-07-09 10:16 AM

I'm going to have to re-watch this flick because I watched it at school, and it was hard to understand some scenes but what I did see was hilarious!

Harry Lime 06-07-09 05:57 PM

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

CayceP 06-08-09 01:29 AM

I've never seen it in full and have become so tired of hearing it quoted over the years that when I do finally watch the whole thing, I doubt it will have the impact it should have. I like Python in general and really enjoyed Life of Brian, though.

Harry Lime 06-08-09 01:32 AM

"The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?"

mark f 06-08-09 01:57 AM

My brother and I went to the Cerritos Theatre seven times in about a month in 1975 to watch a double bill of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and What's Up, Tiger Lily?. He even snuck in a tape recorder to record both movies, so that when he wasn't watching them during that month, you could here all the dialogue coming from inside his bedroom. Therefore, he and I have known all the dialogue to both movies since 1975. :cool:

TheUsualSuspect 06-08-09 02:00 AM

Seen the film twice.

The first time I didn't get why it was so highly rated. 8.4 on IMDB for a comedy is pretty non-existent.

Then I watched it a second time and couldn't stop laughing.

So this one (along with Fight Club and Fargo) belong in that list of Liked It More On A Second Viewing.

Swan 06-08-09 03:32 AM

Laugh like a clown every time I see it. I had a Holy Grail shirt in 8th grade.

I also had a friend in 8th grade who liked Monty Python in general. He's the fella who introduced me to them. Not with Holy Grail either, but with actual Flying Circus eps. Cool huh?

Lillyvonolla 06-09-09 01:32 PM

In my top five funniest movies ever made on the planet earth - easily. I adore this movie and it's just comedy excellence on all levels of comedy. This film went all the way to 11.

Lillyvonolla 06-09-09 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 538565)
"The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?"
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Harry Lime 06-09-09 04:28 PM

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."

JackG2 06-12-09 03:54 AM

First time I watched it was when I was a kid and my older brother was watching it on TV. I'd never heard of Monty Python at the time and didn't know what to expect. Well, when the rabbit started killing everyone, I popped my cherry and became a Python fan. :p

Caitlyn 06-12-09 03:27 PM

'Tis but a scratch!

Easily in my top 50... and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen... :yup:

Brother Blue 06-12-09 03:46 PM

Great movie; still one of the funniest movies ever made.

I think it's the Pythons second best movie behind Life of Brian.

TylerDurden99 09-08-12 02:00 AM

Bought it a week ago, watched it twice since then. Very funny stuff, indeed.

Between our quests, we sequin vests and impersonate Clark Gable...

GrahamBlake1984 09-09-12 01:13 PM

Love this film, in fact loved pretty much everything Monty Python done...

They were well ahead of their time.

Love the Black Knight and the guy with the cocnuts.

DmitRU 09-10-12 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull (Post 530676)
I like that move it's can cheer up. Also Terry Jones made Life of Brian & The Meaning of Life.