Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   SNL vs. Monty Python (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=12457)

PappaSteve 09-28-06 01:27 PM

SNL vs. Monty Python

Not necessarily JUST the shows but also the movies made by the members of each cast. Let's keep it to more or less the original SNL cast from the 70s. So like:

Blues Bros.
Caddy Shack
National Lampoons Vacation
Stripes
Animal House

Vs.

Meaning of Life
Holy Grail
Life of Brian
Fish Called Wanda

I don't know. I mean while the "Ministry of Silly Walks" made me laugh HARDER when I first saw it, the "Two Wild and Crazy Guys" skit is STILL funny to me, decades later.

Movie-wise it's pretty much even for me. I think "The Meaning of Life" is the greatest comedy ever, more or less. But I could watch "Caddy Shack" or "Animal House" pretty much every day and still chuckle.

So what do YOU think?

Austruck 09-28-06 02:36 PM

That's a tough one. I have loved SNL since its first season in the mid-'70s (yes, I'm that old), when I was in ninth grade. The first cast was, of course, priceless. (I include Bill Murray in the first cast, although he wasn't there that first season.)

And yet, I also was a Python fan in the '70s too. Saw Holy Grail in the theater (and actually fell for the black screen at the end, sitting there with everyone else waiting for funny credits that never came). I have albums/soundtracks from both sets/groups and still find most of the stuff funny.

But, they're different moods. Different cultures -- American versus British.

We could add a third to the mix -- Second City TV -- and tuck in some Canadians for good measure. Loved that show too, back in the day...

Not sure I can pick one over the other. I'll say this, though: I think the SNL crew has had a lot more flops than the Python crew, which is almost always on target.

PappaSteve 09-28-06 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck
I'll say this, though: I think the SNL crew has had a lot more flops than the Python crew, which is almost always on target.
True- but think about how many people have come through the SNL ranks. They've had like 50 cast members over the years, MOST of whom went on to make movies out of their most popular skit characters. Characters who are HILARIOUS for 5 minutes, but AGONIZING for 95 minutes.

Sure the cast of the original SNL made some flops. But if you hold ALL Aykroyd, Belushi, Chevy Chase, Murray movies up against the relative FEW Python films, I'd have to say the SNL boys edge them out when you consider the BEST moments of all their movies.

diamondgeeza 10-01-06 03:42 PM

You can't really compare the two, I mean SNL has been running for over 20 year's and has such a wide variety of comedy and comedian's which appeal's to a larger audience, Where as Python only ran for 5 year's as a T.V show (1969 - 1974) and is certainly a love it or hate it programme, I love it and my Mrs hate's it!!, and it was definately a product of it's time. And as for comparing the film's, you can't because SNL haven't actually produced any film's, the one's you have listed, The Blues Brother's, Caddyshack, National Lampoon's ect. just feature people that have performed on SNL where as Life of Brian, The Holy Grail, The Meaning of Life and And Now For Something Completley Different were all written by and featured the same people from the show (Eric Idle, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin) Hence the title of their film's, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life Of Brian ect(There were only ever 4 Python film's), It's Not SNL's Caddyshack or SNL present's the Blues Brother's (Incidentally, A Fish Called Wanda isn't a Python film, It was written by John Cleese and starred Michael Palin but they are the only two ex Python's involved with that particular film)
As for which one is better or funnier it would have to be Python all the way because their brand of humour is so original and wouldn't work if 6 different people tried it today

nebbit 10-02-06 06:34 AM

Great post Geezaboy, here in Aussie I never knew anything about SNL untill the late 80's, Monty python show was a big hit here. They are and were very different shows :yup: I would have to say Monty as I never really could get into SNL :nope:

All I can Say is "I didn't eat the Salmon Mousse" :nope:

diamondgeeza 10-02-06 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by nebbit
All I can Say is "I didn't eat the Salmon Mousse" :nope:
Honestly, darling, I'm so embarrassed. It really is embarrassing. I mean,... to serve salmon with botulism at a dinner party is social death for me!

Meaning of Life great movie, My fave has got to be Holy Grail.

Dennis: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

King Arthur: Shut up!

Dennis: I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

7thson 10-02-06 06:15 PM

Monty Python is "ages" above SNL, but that is not saying I dislike SNL...Python vs SNL is kinda like comparing bikinis and thongs....;)

We all like bikinis, but thongs kinda put things into perspective:

http://www.berrydog-thong-bikinis.com/01.jpg

sry...just sayin Python rules....:)