Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Foreign countdown's done: what's next? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64552)

Yoda 08-11-21 03:36 PM

Foreign countdown's done: what's next?

For reference:

Here's the Foreign list we just finished.

This was the poll where we chose the Foreign list, so you can see what it beat out and by how much.

I assume we'll want to do another decade list now, as is unofficial custom, so I'll start there with the poll options and we'll see if there's a consensus. PLEASE NOTE: this poll is not binding. This process is vague by design, because it's up to the community as a whole, but that doesn't mean whatever wins the poll is automatically going to be the next list, even though that's what it probably means. :laugh:

Also note that we will, in fact, need a Host/Curator for the list. Hopefully we'll have at least a few volunteers this time, now that they've seen how much easier the process is with the balloting tool, which seems to have worked exceptionally well.

Wyldesyde19 08-11-21 03:42 PM

Voted.

Flicker 08-11-21 03:55 PM

Re: Foreign countdown's done: what's next?

I do find 2000s and 2010s a bit uninteresting thematically. I mean, less fun than genre/theme categories. But also, I think they have to be done because it's off to have all the other decades treated as decades and not these. So. It's a bit obligatory, before the fun stuff.

Therefore, my terrifying suggestion : run 2000s and 2010s in parallel. So that, at least, the next session could be a fun theme (sea movies! snow movies! hat movies! movies with a demonic message when you play them backwards!).

honeykid 08-11-21 04:20 PM

That is a horrific suggestion, Flicker, but I can see some logic in it.... But, no. It would just be too terrible. For reasons best known to themselves, people have been asking for the 00's for years. So I say let 'em have it.

Miss Vicky 08-11-21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker (Post 2229138)
Therefore, my terrifying suggestion : run 2000s and 2010s in parallel. So that, at least, the next session could be a fun theme (sea movies! snow movies! hat movies! movies with a demonic message when you play them backwards!).
I hate this suggestion. Keep them totally separate and give each decade its fair due like all the others had.

Flicker 08-11-21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2229152)
For reasons best known to themselves, people have been asking for the 00's for years. So I say let 'em have it.
Just to be clear : I only meant having '00s and '10s simultaneously, in parallel threads.

So that the thematic lists would start with the one afterwards, instead of the one after the one afterwards (which would be the '10s).

The horror is only in the logistics.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2229157)
I hate this suggestion. Keep them totally separate and give each decade its fair due like all the others had.
Ok.

Miss Vicky 08-11-21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker (Post 2229159)
Ok.
This suggestion basically disregards the fact that people here really enjoy taking the time to prepare for these lists by watching and rewatching as many qualifying films as they can before voting. Running lists in tandem would necessitate people cramming in films for both lists at the same time which is both frustrating and kind of defeats the purpose of separate lists. Other subjects will get their time in the spotlight. You might not have much interest in these decades, but the 2000s are probably my favorite decade for movies and the 2010s are under seen for me, so I’m very much looking forward to them getting their own completely separate focus by the community.

Thief 08-11-21 04:51 PM

We just had a thematic countdown (foreign). It makes sense to move to a "decade" one, I guess. Wasn't that even agreed on when we chose to do the foreign countdown?

SpelingError 08-11-21 05:02 PM

Maybe we could do a foreign language countdown next. I don't believe we've ever done one of those.

Siddon 08-11-21 05:02 PM

I pick noir...great list though

Rockatansky 08-11-21 06:29 PM

https://youtu.be/zM0IWyQ5zcg

WARNING: spoilers below
I'm voting for an action list, in case the video doesn't load lol

Harry Lime 08-11-21 06:52 PM

2000s then 2010s although I'm also good with a themed countdown in the middle.

John-Connor 08-11-21 07:09 PM

1. Sea movies
  2. Snow movies
  3. Action
  4. 80's
  5. 2000's

:blart:

Yoda 08-11-21 07:14 PM

I'd like to make the case that "Mall Cop" is a genre, and an important one at that.

matt72582 08-11-21 07:25 PM

(Something Else)

1. B&W
2. Noir
3. Thriller
4. Adventure

John McClane 08-11-21 08:07 PM

2000s: I’ll be fighting hard for The Fountain.

Takoma11 08-11-21 08:13 PM

Some lists I think would be fun to see from the group:

Top 25 or Top 50 Best debuts (ie first feature-length film by the director)
Action

And while I know that this would be tricky to work, I'd almost love to see something like "Underseen Gems" where the films nominated would have to have fewer than 5000 ratings on IMDb or something. One of the best things about the lists is getting recommendations from them, so some sort of list that breaks away from the stuff you tend to see a lot.

Allaby 08-11-21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2229267)

Action

And while I know that this would be tricky to work, I'd almost love to see something like "Underseen Gems" where the films nominated would have to have fewer than 5000 ratings on IMDb or something. One of the best things about the lists is getting recommendations from them, so some sort of list that breaks away from the stuff you tend to see a lot.
I love the idea of underseen gems!

Takoma11 08-11-21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2229270)
I love the idea of underseen gems!
Thanks!

It's just figuring out a way to get consensus where the point is that a lot of people haven't seen the films!

AgrippinaX 08-11-21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2229267)

Action

I would be so down for that.