Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   IMDB - Warning (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=26576)

Nausicaä 08-27-11 06:45 AM

IMDB - Warning

I've haven't been on the website after someone telling me but the website IMDB has a virus, so for any film fans that go onto it, I'd leave it for a few days.

People are going on, clicking on certain links(film name for example) and their anti virus comes up blocking things.

Anyone had any trouble and so on?

Deadite 08-27-11 08:12 AM

Re: IMDB - Warning

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ronemara 08-29-11 07:59 PM

Awesome. Thanks for posting this. I use IMDB all the time. I haven't had any issues yet, but I'll make sure to be cautious.

Yoda 08-29-11 08:08 PM

I've heard the same thing but I've used it recently and haven't had any problems. I can't find any articles about it, either. I'm inclined to chalk it up to a few individual people who have viruses, mistakenly attribute it to the site, and the rumor simply spreading from there.

Nausicaä 08-29-11 08:27 PM

^ Better to be safe than sorry though. I think it was IMDB and not their computers because one who went on got a message come up from IMDB saying sorry about the trouble.

I'm leaving it at least a week because I went through some rubbish because of another website a few months back.

planet news 08-29-11 08:49 PM

Visit IMDB they said...

Powdered Water 08-29-11 08:50 PM

I happen to like viruses.

7thson 08-29-11 09:44 PM

Do not quote me, but it appears as if some new "phone apps" cause false positives with many antivirus programs. Seems plausible to me.

MovieMan8877445 08-29-11 09:58 PM

I go on IMDb everyday, and everything is just fine so far.

Yoda 08-29-11 11:54 PM

It's actually not even possible to embed a virus on a site. The most that can be done is that you can click a link and then agree to install something. There are some possible security breaches with things like Flash and the like, but that's not site-specific.

Kitsch 08-30-11 10:28 AM

I spend hours a day on IMDb every day. No problems yet, but I'll be sure to look into it.

DKviewer 09-02-11 12:54 PM

Thanks for the warning. I use it every day and haven't met anything yet. Since you said you would leave it for a few days: is the 'danger' off now, then?

Nausicaä 09-02-11 01:11 PM

I went on it yesterday and nothing seemed to happen, my security didn't block anything.