Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2020 Signups (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60898)

Yoda 02-12-20 12:59 PM

MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2020 Signups

Yay, almost baseball, whoo, et cetera.

First thing's first: if you're not in this league, there may be room for you! It's a pretty competitive league, so you'll want to have played fantasy baseball before, and playing Roto-style, in particular, is a big plus. If you want to play, just reply and say so, and we'll do our best to make room. Note that we try to give priority to a) more active users and b) returning owners. If you're a returning owner, you should have an invite in the next day or two. Please take a moment to ensure your email address with Yahoo is correct, and if it's not, please PM me the address you're using so I can update it accordingly.

Concerning the draft time: I'm thinking either Saturday, March 7th, or the following Saturday, March 14th. Probably around the usual time, 1:00 PM ET (10:00 AM PT). I'm fine with either, but please reply by letting me know your availability for both dates. IE: "I can do both the 7th and 14th" or "I can one but not the other." Every single year I ask that people do this, and put it in bold and red, and every single year people reply with stuff like "I prefer the 7th." And then I have to rudely and tersely quote the big bold red part back to them again. ;)

Please note you still need to confirm your involvement even if you're a returning team and are listed on the league site.

I'll keep a running list of confirmed owners here;
  • Yoda (Freedonia Ducks)
  • mark f (Dodgers)
  • rauldc14 (Peanuts&Crackerjacks)
  • Hey Fredereick (Roll Out The Barrel)
  • Sedai (Clockwork Angels)
  • TONGO (MONEYBALLERS)

mark f 02-12-20 01:20 PM

I'm in and can draft on both dates.

rauldc14 02-12-20 01:29 PM

Re: MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2020 Signups

In

Yoda 02-12-20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2065326)
In
Duuuude. Every time.

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2065316)
please reply by letting me know your availability for both dates. IE: "I can do both the 7th and 14th" or "I can one but not the other." Every single year I ask that people do this, and put it in bold and red, and every single year people reply with stuff like "I prefer the 7th." And then I have to rudely and tersely quote the big bold red part back to them again. ;)

rauldc14 02-12-20 02:05 PM

Whoops. I can for sure do March 7th. 14th would be tricky but don't make me be the one holding that day back.

Hey Fredrick 02-12-20 02:13 PM

In and both days work for me.

Sedai 02-12-20 02:20 PM

In and can do either date.

I would have a slight preference for the later date if possible, but can do either.

TONGO 02-12-20 06:16 PM

Ineither *

* In and can do either date

Wyldesyde19 02-13-20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2065328)
Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2065326)
In
Duuuude. Every time.

please reply by letting me know your availability for both dates. IE: "I can do both the 7th and 14th" or "I can one but not the other." Every single year I ask that people do this, and put it in bold and red, and every single year people reply with stuff like "I prefer the 7th." And then I have to rudely and tersely quote the big bold red part back to them again. ;)
I’m sorry. I literally got a good laugh out of this. As soon as I read the post I thought “see how many posts before Yoda has to remind everyone.”
Too funny. 😆

Yoda 02-13-20 08:36 AM

It's an annual tradition. :D

Fabulous 02-13-20 04:24 PM

In

mark f 02-13-20 05:35 PM

Duuuude

Yoda 02-13-20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 2065701)
In
Yo:

Yoda 02-13-20 05:48 PM

If I were exponentially more ruthless I'd put something in the first post about how anyone who replies without reading it is kicked outta the league, but I worry we'd lose a third of the owners right off the bat.

Sedai 02-13-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2065719)
If I were exponentially more ruthless I'd put something in the first post about how anyone who replies without reading it is kicked outta the league, but I worry we'd lose a third of the owners right off the bat.
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/64/64cb...ddb0bec50d.jpg

Fabulous 02-13-20 06:50 PM

I should be available for both dates.

Powdered Water 02-15-20 02:17 PM

In. Both dates are good. I always prefer to draft as late as possible. But either is fine.

mikeython1 02-16-20 12:14 PM

I am definitely in. :D I should be good for both dates. I edited my post to make it seem like Yoda is crazy. :)

Yoda 02-16-20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mikeython1 (Post 2066257)
I am definitely in. :D
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2065719)
what is wrong with you people

Yoda 02-16-20 12:19 PM

BTW that's literally four people, so my "third of the owners" was dead-on.

Also, if/when Adam confirms that'll be...everyone? So literally all the owners are returning? I'm not sure if that's ever happened before, we have great retention but usually there's like one. Might've happened once or twice, but pretty wild.

Yoda 02-16-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mikeython1 (Post 2066257)
I am definitely in. :D I should be good for both dates. I edited my post to make it seem like Yoda is crazy. :)
Unfortunately you took long enough that there's a big edit note at the bottom.

So trolly...

TONGO 02-18-20 11:27 AM

So as soon as Adam agrees then we can get on to the business of setting up our draft order...... not that I'm being anxious or anything.

It's funny, we want to know the order we're in beforehand so that we can slot ourselves appropriately in mock drafts to practice. In reality though everyone in this league draft so completely different than any mock draft you can find online. So basically the mock draft doesn't really help anything but they're still fun to do anyway.

Sedai 02-18-20 11:30 AM

Motion to restrict the amount of total moves managers can make either per week or per season.

TONGO 02-18-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2066721)
Motion to restrict the amount of total moves managers can make either per week or per season.
I agree to that. Ive felt I'm My Own Worst Enemy at times, tinkering is the debil.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:35 AM

Just confirmed with Adam. I'll do draft order shortly!

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2066721)
So, we have the same problem with this we had last year: Yahoo does let us limit it...but the highest limit is 100, which is barely more than one every two days. Way too low. Kinda lame, since it's either that or no limit, and with the roster protection thing (drop the same day you pick someone up means they don't go on waivers), I guess unlimited is still the best option.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:37 AM

Okay, the first pick goes to.... @mark f!

Yoda 02-18-20 11:37 AM

Second pick goes to... @Hey Fredrick.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:38 AM

Third pick goes to.. @Fabulous.

Fourth pick goes to...Dan Bolt (Cobb County Corncobs).

Fifth pick goes to.. @rauldc14.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:39 AM

Sixth pick goes to.. @Adamantium18.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:39 AM

Seventh pick goes to.. @mikeython1.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:40 AM

Eighth pick goes to... @Banknotes Harper.

Ninth pick goes to.. @Yoda.

Tenth pick goes to.. @Sedai.

Yoda 02-18-20 11:41 AM

Eleventh pick goes to... @Powdered Water.

Which means the twelfth pick goes to @TONGO.

Full draft order:

1. Dodgers
  2. Roll Out The Barrel
  3. The Empire
  4. Cobb County Corncobs
  5. Peanuts&Crackerjacks
  6. Hakuna Machado
  7. Done and Dunn
  8. High-Level Arbitrage
  9. Freedonia Ducks
  10. Clockwork Angels
  11. Roid or Roid
  12. MONEYBALLERS

Sedai 02-18-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2066726)
Just confirmed with Adam. I'll do draft order shortly!

So, we have the same problem with this we had last year: Yahoo does let us limit it...but the highest limit is 100, which is barely more than one every two days. Way too low. Kinda lame, since it's either that or no limit, and with the roster protection thing (drop the same day you pick someone up means they don't go on waivers), I guess unlimited is still the best option.
How about weekly limits, does it go any higher than 1 move every two days?

Yoda 02-18-20 11:45 AM

Don't see any options like that, no. Lame.

Sedai 02-18-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2066747)
Don't see any options like that, no. Lame.
I have seen league setting with a "Max Acquisitions per week" setting, but maybe that is for head to head only?

Yoda 02-18-20 12:31 PM

I think so, because it's not showing up here. That would make sense.

I have no idea why they'd give us such a low ceiling.

TONGO 02-18-20 12:52 PM

Good god almighty! I'm last again?! AGAIN?! This is the 2nd year in a row!

ATTICA! ATTICA! ATTICA!

Powdered Water 02-20-20 12:58 PM

Love my spot.

TONGO 02-20-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2067255)
Love my spot.
You're 11th and I'm 12th. You really feel that's more favorable than picking higher up in the draft? I'm reaching for some hope here.

Powdered Water 02-20-20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2067278)
You're 11th and I'm 12th. You really feel that's more favorable than picking higher up in the draft? I'm reaching for some hope here.
I do. There's so much value in the later rounds. I love having 2 picks close together like that.

Yoda 02-20-20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2067278)
I'd say this is usually the case. I joke about it every year, but I dunno why people always assume higher is better. I've won plenty with "low" picks. Some years I explicitly prefer them.

Even if there were better or worse slots, those often get swamped by how each particular draft unfolds.

Adamantium18 02-21-20 10:23 AM

I would love to have 11th or 12th In this draft. I think 6th is the worst

Yoda 02-21-20 11:03 AM

I'll have an opinion after a few mocks, but I will say that 6th or 7th has a general advantage in that you have more opportunities to catch "falling" players, whereas if you're at the beginning or end sometimes someone falls but your turn(s) just take too long to come around for you to even take advantage, even if you notice and almost nobody else does. I feel like it's a lower ceiling but higher floor position. I might take it if I had no idea what the draft looked liked in a given year for that reason.

Yoda 02-21-20 11:04 AM

Also, whoo, Adam sighting.

rauldc14 02-21-20 11:39 AM

Seems like a good year for a mid pick. But obviously time will tell

TONGO 02-21-20 01:56 PM

I dont feel too bad now. I doubt I'll grab Christian Yelich picking last like I did last year though.

Curious if Yoda is hexing PW to prevent the first three peat in our FBB league. Actually everybody might be hexing him. It's been 8 years since I won a championship in our league, and it was the only one I won, other than the Jungle overflow league.

Yoda 02-21-20 02:09 PM

If by hex you mean hoping for slightly better luck, then yes. Last season was probably the toughest uphill climb I've ever had. Gonna assume that probably can't continue, do the same stuff, and let the pop flies fall where they may.

TONGO 02-21-20 05:23 PM

Hexing means casting a bad spell on your opponent. Many times people have tried it on you lol! Jk

Yoda 02-21-20 05:53 PM

Oh, I know what the word means. Guess I should've included a winking smilie face or something. ;)

Adamantium18 02-22-20 05:26 PM

SS seems to be the most stacked position this year. And picking 6th there are a ton of of SS available or a SP

Powdered Water 02-22-20 10:35 PM

I was just in a mock with an Adam. Wonder if that was you? I've already nabbed Turner a few times at 11. I kinda doubt I'll get that lucky in this league but ya never know. I really think picks 1 thru 6 are locked in, just not the order they get taken. Someone may crack early tho and go pitcher by 4 or 5. I hope so. Thats when the fun starts.

Yoda 02-23-20 09:44 PM

Anyone have any interest in tweaking categories a little? Like instead of Saves and Holds, having one category that's Saves + Holds? I tried that in another league last year and it felt a lot better, way less randomness, more about finding good relievers than playing the guessing game with managers and roles.

Might involve removing a batting category to keep things even, though, but I'd be fine with doing that for RBIs or something.

Any thoughts either way?

TONGO 02-23-20 09:58 PM

I'd like to keep Saves separate from Holds. A closer would be devalued if someone can just drop a bunch of relief pitchers to get an overabundance of Holds, thereby eliminating any need for Saves.

rauldc14 02-23-20 10:08 PM

I'd keep it. Definitely not removing rbis

rauldc14 02-23-20 10:09 PM

Or if anything get rid of holds. Most random category ever

Banknotes Harper 02-24-20 12:14 AM

Hello, all! Happy 2020! I'm glad to be back after a disappointing 2019 in both of my leagues.

I got the 8th pick, which I'm pretty okay with. I think I've had a top 3 pick for most of the last several years, so it's nice to change things up. Not sure if I think any of the spots are much better than the others, apart from maybe 1st, since I think Trout is still markedly the best ballplayer.

Regarding stats: I'm against removing holds, outright, because I think baseball really highly values relievers right now and holds is a good way to signify that these 7th and 8th inning guys are really important. I'm similarly against merging to saves+holds, because it makes our rules devalue relievers, while real baseball is clearly moving in the opposite direction.

For sake of discussion, I've played "home runs allowed" for pitchers and hated it. Even though some pitchers have tendencies to give up home runs, the stat still felt pretty random and duplicative. I've never done K/BB, but maybe that would be okay if done in tandem with merging to "Saves + Holds." Are there any other pitching stat options that look interesting?

For hitting, I'd propose switching OBP to OPS (on-base plus slugging) or, alternatively, switching AVG and SLG, so we'd play with OBP and SLG.

Banknotes Harper 02-24-20 12:20 AM

Here's the list of stats: https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo...tat_categories

Another pitching idea could be merge to saves + holds, add in "relief appearances"? That would reward managers to have relievers that are used a lot, and not punish managers when their relievers come into the game in a tie (where a save or hold isn't possible). An argument against that combo might be that "Saves + Holds" and "Relief Appearances" are too redundant?

Banknotes Harper 02-24-20 12:25 AM

Another one to consider is "Inherited Runners Scored," but that feels a bit off to me. The opposite, "Inherited Runners Stranded," seems more fair, but isn't available. It's the right idea, but the former seems like it would work against top relievers who often have to come into games in the toughest situations (e.g. runners on second and third, nobody out).

Powdered Water 02-24-20 03:04 AM

I think I'm against dropping holds. Only because what's been discussed doesn't really sound better to me so far. I'm down to try new things tho so if I get out voted I will roll with it.

Yoda 02-24-20 04:07 PM

Holds have the exact same rules as Saves except they don't have to come at the end of games, so in that sense they require less in the way of circumstances. It's more about manager use, but they more than make up for the predictability of closer usage with the frequency with which they change closers.

Anyway, sounds like there's no clear consensus on alternatives, so I guess we'll stick with what we've got.

TONGO 02-29-20 01:17 PM

Doing another mock draft and noticed that the Houston Astros offense of players haven't really dropped down in the rankings or average pick placements because of the sign stealing no longer going to be available to them. Curious if we're going to see a serious decline in their Runs now.

Voice text, meh.

Banknotes Harper 02-29-20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2069320)
Doing another mock draft and noticed that the Houston Astros offense of players haven't really dropped down in the rankings or average pick placements because of the sign stealing no longer going to be available to them. Curious if we're going to see a serious decline in their Runs now.

Voice text, meh.
I really have no idea how much, if at all, the Astros hitters are going to decline. That's maybe the biggest x-factor in my valuations this year.

They're also getting hit by a heck of a lot of pitches in spring training. Not sure how much that will carry into the regular season, but this is an OBP league....

Powdered Water 03-01-20 04:45 PM

Just did a mock where Cole went third... I mean, I just don't see how you skip on those first 4 guys. SMH... Which stands for shaking my head. :nope:

Powdered Water 03-03-20 02:35 PM

At this point I have no idea who my first round pick is gonna be. I get a different guy every draft. I had Alonso fall to me at 35 yesterday for my third pick. Even tho its a mock I was all, yeah!!! Felt like I won something! :D

Adamantium18 03-03-20 07:51 PM

I personally dont like the holds category. I would be for the removal or the change to saves+holds. I do like QS instead of Wins and i would be game for trying OPS, i hate that we have Avg and OBP.

EXCITED FOR DA DRAFT!

Yoda 03-03-20 07:52 PM

SATURDAY EVERYBODY.

Can't wait for people to forget and then complain about their team. One of our finest traditions.

Adamantium18 03-03-20 08:47 PM

Do we have an inning minimum? I have heard alot of chatter about the Marmol draft cheat going around. If we dont can we institute a min, I like doing an actual draft and not a stupid method to win.

Banknotes Harper 03-03-20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Adamantium18 (Post 2069954)
Do we have an inning minimum? I have heard alot of chatter about the Marmol draft cheat going around. If we dont can we institute a min, I like doing an actual draft and not a stupid method to win.
I actually never thought about this before, but without a minimum, you could just have a reliever throw one clean inning, have an ERA and WHIP of 0.00, come in last in the other 4 pitcher categories, and get 28 out of a possible 72 points.

That said, our first place team normally gets about 100 pts, so you'd need to be about perfect on offense to make it work.

If there's an option for a minimum, can we just set it to like 50 or 100 innings?

Yoda 03-04-20 08:44 AM

I don't see an option for an inning minimum, no, though I think as Tim points out it'd be incredibly hard to make work, which I guess would stop it from being an easy/cheaty way to win.

If I see an option for it I'll implement it, but I'm also fine just saying that we won't consider any team the winner if they don't have, I dunno, 500 innings.

Yoda 03-06-20 11:44 AM

Draft is tomorrow.

I'd tag everyone again but I'm not sure I've ever seen a correlation between how much I remind people and how many people forget, so good luck.

rauldc14 03-06-20 12:05 PM

Thanks for the good luck wish! I'll need it!

Yoda 03-06-20 12:22 PM

Dan and Tim and I are probably doing a video chat during the draft, which we did last year. On the off chance anyone's interested let us know and we can probably hook things up.

TONGO 03-06-20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2070557)
Dan and Tim and I are probably doing a video chat during the draft, which we did last year. On the off chance anyone's interested let us know and we can probably hook things up.
Any chance you could record it and post it here? I'd love to watch it after but dont want to be distracted by it during. When drafting I'm all nerves.

Yoda 03-06-20 06:44 PM

I'm not sure how to do that, it's just in Google Hangouts, so anyone with Gmail can do it I guess.

It'd also be pretty boring to watch later, we just sorta chat idly. If there's an easy way I'll suggest it but I don't think there is.

Banknotes Harper 03-06-20 08:29 PM

Yeah, I'll send out the link tomorrow. Drop in if you want, but I remember it not being very lively last year.

Yoda 03-06-20 09:01 PM

It makes the draft more entertaining if you're drafting, for sure, since there's plenty of downtime between picks, but probably only while you're drafting.

TONGO 03-07-20 09:15 AM

https://youtu.be/YT344cl_Azg

Draft is 1pm est today

Banknotes Harper 03-07-20 01:30 PM

Come in and chat, if you want: https://hangouts.google.com/call/BNM...1noSqaabopAEEE

Good luck drafting!

Sedai 03-07-20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2070694)
I'm not sure how to do that, it's just in Google Hangouts, so anyone with Gmail can do it I guess.

It'd also be pretty boring to watch later, we just sorta chat idly. If there's an easy way I'll suggest it but I don't think there is.

I might drop in on this!

Yoda 03-07-20 01:41 PM

@Sedai. We saw you for a minute there, though no audio. Feel free to hang out either way though!

Yoda 03-07-20 01:54 PM

Nice, five of us in there. Goodtimes.

Powdered Water 03-07-20 04:05 PM

We may never know if the Dodgers planned to take Trout. Maybe Bubba knows?

Yoda 03-07-20 04:13 PM

Since he was the first pick, it seems plausible he could've set his predraft rankings and known he could come in ~20 minutes after the start time and it wouldn't make a difference, but I dunno.

mark f 03-07-20 05:29 PM

Bubba doesn't know.

Banknotes Harper 03-08-20 01:42 PM

Draft post-mortem: Any picks that you're especially happy or unhappy with?

I'm glad to have gotten Stanton at 65th/6th pick. Also unhappy that he fell that far because I used my first 7 picks on hitters and, with his injury history, he'll look like less of a steal if he only plays 50 games haha

TONGO 03-08-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Banknotes Harper (Post 2071067)
Draft post-mortem: Any picks that you're especially happy or unhappy with?

I'm glad to have gotten Stanton at 65th/6th pick. Also unhappy that he fell that far because I used my first 7 picks on hitters and, with his injury history, he'll look like less of a steal if he only plays 50 games haha
I'm happy to have nabbed Miguel Cabrera. I seem to be the only person left that thinks he can still get it done. If he stays healthy at the least he's a great bump for Batting average, and with Moose & E.E. on my team I'll probably need it. I'm hoping Yaz's grandson has a great year too.

I wish I didnt grab George Springer.