Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 5 of Hitchcock (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=30541)

sumantra 12-30-12 09:52 AM

Top 5 of Hitchcock

1. Psycho
2. Rebecca
3. Rear Window
4. The Birds
5. Dial M for Murder

Mr Minio 12-30-12 09:56 AM

Re: Top 5 of Hitchcock

Really hard task. Impossible for me at the moment!

HitchFan97 12-30-12 10:51 AM

1) Vertigo
2) Psycho
3) Rear Window
4) Rope
5) Notorious
+
6) The Birds

Cobpyth 12-30-12 12:12 PM

A very difficult task, but I'm going to try:

1. Rear Window
2. Rebecca
3. Psycho
4. Vertigo (will probably rise to the top after another view)
5. Shadow of a Doubt

I've also seen:

The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Spellbound
Rope
Strangers on a Train
Dial M for Murder
To Catch a Thief
The Man Who Knew Too Much (James Stewart version)
The Wrong Man
North By Northwest
The Birds
Marnie

I liked them all very much and this list can change a little bit from time to time. Especially Vertigo can become number 1 or 2 after another view. It's just too long ago since I've seen it.

cricket 12-30-12 12:24 PM

Psycho
North by Northwest
Rear Window
Rope
Marnie

Gabrielle947 12-30-12 12:55 PM

Psycho
Rear Window
Notorious
Vertigo

Skepsis93 12-30-12 01:05 PM

I'll weigh in with:

1. Vertigo
2. Psycho
3. North by Northwest
4. Dial M for Murder
5. Rear Window

Guaporense 12-30-12 01:35 PM

1. Psycho
2. Vertigo
3. Rear Window
4. North by Northwest
5. Dial M for Murder

Daniel M 12-30-12 04:28 PM

Copying this from another post of mine:

1. North by Northwest
2. Vertigo (top two are very close, NBN pips on enjoyment)
3. Psycho
4. Dial M for Murder
=Strangers on a Train
=Rear Window

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 855897)
For some reason I really thought I had already though I had posted in this thread, anyway as a massive fan of Hitchcock here are what I'd rate his films at from what I've seen, attaching ratings and reviews so you can understand why I rate them what I do.

I know this thread is meant to discuss his worse but thought I might as well just give my thoughts on why I don't think some films listed in this thread are his 'worst' at all.

Psycho -
- Full Review
North by Northwest -
- Full Review
Vertigo -

You might question me awarding him three 5 star ratings, but I really think these are three fantastic films in their own rights. All are completely different, "Psycho" is one of my favourite horrors, North by Northwest is just such a fun action thrilled film and Vertigo is simply a masterpiece in filmmaking, if you don't like this film I think you've watched it expecting something else, it's a really tragic and romantic film that deals with a number of issues such as obsession and it's one of my all time favourite performances from James Stewart.

Dial M for Murder -
- Full Review
Strangers on a Train -

Rear Window -
- Full Review

Three extremely strong films, all of them different. Dial M feels different for Hitchcock and is more like a murder mystery but it's great, Strangers on a Train is more dark and sinister but great and Rear Window is another fantastic performance from Stewart who deals with more important themes (isolation) and it has a great suspense.

Shadow of a Doubt -

The Birds -

Rope -

To Catch a Thief -
- Full Review

All decent/good films. Shadow of a Doubt from a technical viewpoint is great and some of the scenes are made extremely well, Cotten is really good as the villain but I felt it just lagged a bit towards the end. The Birds again from a technical viewpoint is great, and I really enjoyed the film up until the end which left me with more frustration than enjoyment, some scenes are spectacular though such as the one outside the school where the birds unknowingly gather ready to attack. Rope is also a good film.

To Catch a Thief you might disagree with and give a lower rating, but its a more enjoyable, light hearted film in which Cary Grant is an enjoyable lead. Don't expect much and enjoy the French Riviera, I wouldn't call it a bad film but not one I'd watch over and over again.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956, remake) -

Probably my least favourite. It starts off well in Morocco with James Stewart, Doris Day and their family but it goes downhill after their son is kidnap with some of Hitchcock's most preposterous scenes. Two of the biggest highlights are music related, the appearance of the great Herrmann and Day's famous song 'Que Sera Sera'.

syj 01-02-13 08:57 PM

This is a tough one. I'd rather do 10, but here's my top 5:

1. Vertigo- Takes my breath away every time. The great sights in Northern California, Stewart's first sighting of Kim Novak in that red restaurant, the weird obsessiveness of it all.
2. Notorious- I guess I like Hitchcock's twisted relationships, with this one and Vertigo at the top. So many great shots, and Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman are amazing together.
3. North by Northwest- Fantastic set piece after set piece, this is Hitchcock's most purely entertaining film.
4. Strangers on a Train- It's great how this film can make a tennis match, a rain grate, and a merry-go-round so suspenseful. Very interesting characters.
5. The Lady Vanishes- A great blend of humor and mystery, and I think Hitchcock's funniest film.

And just for fun:

6. The Birds
7. Rear Window
8. Shadow of a Doubt
9. Psycho
10. The 39 Steps

All great, and I'd probably count the first 9 as some of my favorites of all time.

rauldc14 01-02-13 10:47 PM

1. Rear Window
2. North by Northwest
3. Dial M for Murder
4. Psycho
5. Vertigo

With Notorious, Strangers on a Train, and The Birds the next ones in line.

mattcote 01-03-13 09:46 AM

Psycho, Dial M for Murder and Rope.

ThomasP 01-03-13 02:29 PM

1. Vertigo
2. Shadow of a Doubt
3. Rear Window
4. North by Northwest
5. Psycho

NuWell 01-03-13 02:46 PM

1. Psycho
2. Rope
3. Rear Window
4. Strangers on a Train
5. Vertigo

NuWell 01-03-13 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by mattcote (Post 867386)
Psycho, Dial M for Murder and Rope.
You should do a Favorite film list already! You seem to have impeccable taste (in my opinion). I understand how hard it is to judge certain films your favorite, but you can do like me a put a tentative list up. My favorite films list changes a bit every other day.

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x 01-03-13 06:10 PM

Strangers On A Train was disappointing. Complete bowdlerisation of the novel. That's not necessarily Hitchcock's fault but it doesn't make for a good film.

I've only seen 4 Hitchcock films and Rebecca and Psycho are easily the best of those (the other two being Strangers and Stage Fright).

rauldc14 01-03-13 06:15 PM

Strangers was indeed a disappointment upon my first viewing, but has gotten better upon repeated viewings. I think I saw it at a bad time the first time because I had seen Rear Window and Dial M for Murder right before it, so my expectations were running quite high.

sumantra 01-04-13 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x (Post 867531)
Strangers On A Train was disappointing. Complete bowdlerisation of the novel. That's not necessarily Hitchcock's fault but it doesn't make for a good film.
I agree with you on the point of Strangers on a Train, never liked that one (I know it has got a high rating everywhere, and people mostly seem to like it)...

I thought someone would have The Trouble with Harry in his or her top 5, but so far (including me) no one does...

mojofilter 01-04-13 06:41 AM

1. Rear Window
2. Psycho
3. The Birds
4. Notorious
5. Vertigo

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x 01-04-13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by sumantra (Post 867669)
I agree with you on the point of Strangers on a Train, never liked that one (I know it has got a high rating everywhere, and people mostly seem to like it)...
It's the premise and Robert Walker's performance that people rate it for. Walker's performance is good but then the character's good so...

KnoKoneser 01-04-13 09:12 PM

1. Psycho
2. Dial M for Murder
3. The Birds
4. Vertigo
5. Rear Window

Blix the Goblin 01-07-13 05:05 PM

1) Vertigo
2) Rear Window
3) Rebecca
4) The Birds
5) Psycho

jdan893 01-07-13 07:55 PM

Don't know about a top five but two i think everyone should watch

Lifeboat and Jamaica Inn

These were early ones and often overlooked.

sumantra 01-08-13 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by jdan893 (Post 868829)
Don't know about a top five but two i think everyone should watch

Lifeboat and Jamaica Inn

These were early ones and often overlooked.
Saw both of them, they are good films, but won't be in my top 10 of Hitchcock...

Nausicaä 01-08-13 06:41 PM

The Lady Vanishes is my number one Alfred Hitchcock film but the rest below are not in any order.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ady_moviep.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ilm_poster.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ac/Marnie1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...For_Murder.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%281960%29.jpg

Hitchcockian 01-11-13 07:12 AM

1 psycho
2 vertigo
3 rear window
4 shadow of a doubt
5 north by northwest

TheMightyCelestial 01-14-13 11:52 PM

My faves:

5. Rear Window
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...079/rear-1.jpg

A psychological mystery thriller that stands out on it's own not just because of it's distinctive formula (particularly for it's time), but also because of Hitchcock's ability to make the most of it's "limited" theme. The story of a man who can't walk, is stuck in his apartment, but with good observational instincts, honed by his job, that all end up putting him in a situation where his immobility makes for a simple, yet in Hitch's hands, an excellent plot device that incrementally builds & builds on it's suspense towards it's finale.

4. The Birds
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...5811193997.jpg

The very first Hitchcock movie I ever saw.
During my early formative years on this planet, my dad used to pack our family into the panel-sided Buick station wagon & take us to the drive-in theatre where we were exposed to alot of those 70's cheesy "when animals attack" movies, like Food Of The Gods, Night Of The Leapus, Swarm, etc...
Goofy escapist fare of whose cheese I, as a child, ended up developing a taste for.
Therefore, one day, when the day came that I first viewed Hitchcock's The Birds on the ol' boobtube, my initial reaction was "Coo-hoooooollll.... Kinda like the movie 'Frogs!'! Except with birds!"

3. Notorious
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...7411193997.jpg

At first glance, this seems like a typical Hollywood picture of this era: the insanely attractive couple of Ingrid Bergman & Cary Grant, both looking at their most perfect, in a lush looking film with spy intigrued plot, with the added feature of a small cadre of Nazi's thrown in for good measure.
Yet, the characters' personalities and their dialogue towards each other as they try to embitterly mask the feelings of love & longing that they must fight thru in order to complete their respective missions, reveals that this is an atypical film (for it's time, at least) with a feeling of cinematic bite that can only be the signature of Alfred Hitchcock. Add to the fact, that Cary Grant, usually a more of a comedic lead with skills of perfect timing, pulls thru this serious, & uncharacteristicly bitter role with a result that leads the viewer to sincerely sympathize with his character just cuz we know that deep inside, there is some good within him.

2. North By Northwest
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ock-cary-g.jpg

Cary Grant gets chased across America by villainous spies, government agents, & the most dastardly of 'em all, a crop-duster!
In the same manner that Psycho made me start taking baths in order to avoid the "someone-sneaking-up" factor that is the natural result of shower curtains,
this movie made me always choose dwellings within the city in order to avoid ever having to cross paths with any of these air-borne single engine bi-planal horrors.

1. Psycho
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...kJanetLe-1.jpg

Kinda an obvious choice, but still my favorite.
Due to the era that Psycho was released, Norman Bates may not have had the opportunity to cut through a swath of teenaged bodies (not that most teenagers back then didn't deserve it) in the manner that the Freddies, Michaels & Jasons do these days, but he definitely pioneered the crazed, almost supernaturally-empowered maniacs that the more recent masked comtemporaries of today have become famous for.
Though today's audiences may find that the datedness of this movie has seemed to lessen the shock & horror of this b/w classic, the energy of it still reverberates today. And for me, the ending shot of Norman Bates' visage is still one of the best creepy endings on film.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...kAnthony-1.jpg

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x 01-17-13 02:05 PM

Anthony Perkins is so creepy in that movie. He carries it.

Blix the Goblin 01-17-13 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x (Post 871489)
Anthony Perkins is so creepy in that movie. He carries it.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he "carries" the movie. He wouldn't be nearly as creepy without Bernard Herrmann's eerie score backing him up, which in my opinion is the best thing about the film.

linespalsy 01-17-13 02:41 PM

1. Rear Window
2. Vertigo
3. The Birds
4. The 39 Steps
5. Frenzy

and then...

Psycho
Rope
A Lady Vanishes

those are the ones I really like. These are the rest of what I've seen:

Dial M for Murder
Rebecca
North by Northwest
Family Plot
Strangers on a Train
Foreign Correspondent
Spellbound
Stage Fright
Topaz

NuWell 01-17-13 03:44 PM

Mine has changed:

1.Rebecca
2.Rope
3.Strangers on a Train
4.Rear Window
5.Psycho

Vertigo, 39 Steps, North by Northwest all get honorable mention, though I doubt you could compare the ending of Vertigo to any other Hitchcock movie.

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x 01-17-13 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blix the Goblin (Post 871491)
I wouldn't go as far as to say he "carries" the movie. He wouldn't be nearly as creepy without Bernard Herrmann's eerie score backing him up, which in my opinion is the best thing about the film.
Yep, the score is good, as is the cinematography, but if we're talking from an acting POV, he definitely carries it.

mark f 01-17-13 06:59 PM

lines, you "dislike" nine Hitchcock movies. How many DePalma films do you dislike?

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck x 01-18-13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 871495)
1. Rear Window
2. Vertigo
3. The Birds
4. The 39 Steps
5. Frenzy

and then...

Psycho
Rope
A Lady Vanishes

those are the ones I like. These are the ones I don't (some I think are okay):

North by Northwest
Family Plot
Strangers on a Train
Dial M for Murder
Foreign Correspondent
Rebecca
Spellbound
Stage Fright
Topaz
Rebecca is a classic. Why didn't you like it?

gigmaster 01-19-13 07:47 PM

To Catch A Thief
North By Northwest
Charade
The Rope
The Man Who Knew Too Much

Nausicaä 01-19-13 08:11 PM

Charade? :nope:

mark f 01-19-13 08:16 PM

That means that Charade was directed by Stanley Donen, not Hitchcock. Although a few people here didn't like it, it's well worth being mentioned in the same breath with Hitch.

Nausicaä 01-19-13 08:20 PM

Indeed, Charade is a fantastic film.

DocHoliday 04-05-18 04:28 PM

Vertigo and Psycho are both among the best films ever made, and imo, a slight step ahead of his other films. Therefore I'd rank them:

1. Vertigo
2. Psycho

3. North by Northwest
4. Rear Window
5. Rope

Saunch 04-05-18 05:05 PM

I finally crossed off Rear Window, Vertigo and Rope off my list recently. I... didn’t much cared for any of them. At least two of them. I’m giving Vertigo another go soon, but it left me utterly cold.

Rear Window’s ending soured me on it. I get that it all sort of has to go down that way, otherwise you’d hate the film even more, but Jeffries is such a bastard that I was hoping he’d get some sort of comeuppance. I also didn’t like the final not played for Lisa. Maybe I’m being unfair.

Rope is cute but a trifle.

Sorry for that negativity. I’m also moving onto Shadow of Doubt soon.

Camo 04-05-18 05:12 PM

01. North By Northwest
02. Notorious
03. Vertigo
04. Rebecca
05. Dial M For Murder

He's probably my favourite director, seen 24 and i'm watching Mr and Mrs. Smith and Lifeboat next week. The top three are all #1, think NBNW is the most fun which is why i have it at #1, Notorious really blew me away when i had no clue it was supposed to be one of his best, Vertigo is just unreal and was the first Hitch i saw along with my mum when i was 9 or something, it's probably her favourite film. Rebecca the novel is pretty bad but the film got to me in an intense way, Dial M is incredibly watchable possibly more than any of his others i've seen which is weird considering it's restricted locationally.

Tramuzgan 04-05-18 05:50 PM

The only one I've seen is North by Northwest, and it's fantastic. I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't his absolute best.

GulfportDoc 04-05-18 08:21 PM

Choosing only the top 5 is exceedingly difficult. The top 10 or 15 would be easier.:(

1. Vertigo
2. North By Northwest
3. Rear Window
4. Strangers on a Train
5. Shadow of a Doubt

If the first three were in a tie for first place, I'd add Psycho and Notorious.

~Doc

DocHoliday 04-05-18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tramuzgan (Post 1886233)
The only one I've seen is North by Northwest, and it's fantastic. I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't his absolute best.
Vertigo has a good case for being the best film ever made, so I'd check that out next.

hell_storm2004 04-06-18 01:56 AM

I dont know why! I have a soft spot for Rope. So few characters and virtually in a room, but still a gripping movie.

1. Rope
2. North by Northwest.
3. Rebecca
4. Psycho
5. Dial M for Murder

Then Rear Window and Vertigo.

EDIT: Frenzy is also one of my favorites. Although its a little slow, but it sets its own pace.

Tramuzgan 04-06-18 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1886295)
Originally Posted by Tramuzgan (Post 1886233)
Vertigo has a good case for being the best film ever made, so I'd check that out next.
Will do

ironpony 04-06-18 06:46 PM

Haven't seen all of them, but it would go something like this:

5. Rope
4. Psycho
3. Rear Window
2. Dial M for Murder
1. Vertigo

ironpony 04-06-18 06:47 PM

Since we're on the subject, I read that Shadow of a Doubt, was Hitchcock's personal favorite that he did. Why is that though? I thought it was one of hls lesser movies myself, and was surprised he thinks that's his best.

I_Wear_Pants 04-06-18 08:00 PM

Suspicion
Psycho
Rope
North by Northwest
Dial M for Murder

HashtagBrownies 04-06-18 08:43 PM

1.Rope
2.Psycho
3/4.The Man Who Knew Too Much/North by Northwest
5.Rear Window

rauldc14 04-06-18 08:53 PM

My top 5

1. Rear Window
2. North by Northwest
3. Psycho
4. Dial M for Murder
5. Foreign Correspondent perhaps, or Vertigo

GulfportDoc 04-07-18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1886609)
Since we're on the subject, I read that Shadow of a Doubt, was Hitchcock's personal favorite that he did. Why is that though? I thought it was one of hls lesser movies myself, and was surprised he thinks that's his best.
I read that somewhere myself. But in actual fact Hitchcock said that "Doubt" wasn't his favorite film, but that he liked it for several reasons. One, he believed it was a story that the "plausibles", logicians and psychologists couldn't find anything to complain about. For example, in some of his films people might say, "Well why didn't he just go to the police?" Or, "Why didn't she just leave the room?"

The other reason was that he loved working with Thornton Wilder, who had written the famous play Our Town. In many of Hitch's initial American films he couldn't get the writers he wanted in order to make the best screenplays. Thornton really dug into the narrative with A.H., and the result was memorable. He also enjoyed working with Hume Cronyn, who later collaborated with A.H. on several screenplays or adaptions.

~Doc

Cobpyth 04-07-18 09:42 PM

1) Vertigo
2) North By Northwest
3) Rear Window
4) Notorious
5) Rebecca

cricket 04-07-18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 866520)
Psycho
North by Northwest
Rear Window
Rope
Marnie
After seeing them again, I didn't even care for 3 of them.

My new 5-

Rebecca
Dial M for Murder
Psycho
Marnie
The Birds

Kaplan 04-07-18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1887061)
I read that somewhere myself. But in actual fact Hitchcock said that "Doubt" wasn't his favorite film, but that he liked it for several reasons. One, he believed it was a story that the "plausibles", logicians and psychologists couldn't find anything to complain about. For example, in some of his films people might say, "Well why didn't he just go to the police?" Or, "Why didn't she just leave the room?"

The other reason was that he loved working with Thornton Wilder, who had written the famous play Our Town. In many of Hitch's initial American films he couldn't get the writers he wanted in order to make the best screenplays. Thornton really dug into the narrative with A.H., and the result was memorable. He also enjoyed working with Hume Cronyn, who later collaborated with A.H. on several screenplays or adaptions.

~Doc
In actual fact Hitchcock did state on several occasions that Shadow of a Doubt was his favorite of his films, and his daughter later confirmed that as well. But anyhow, Shadow of a Doubt is a fantastic film and if someone thinks it's just a minor work by Hitchcock, then I think they haven't really paid attention to it or what the film is doing.

My own top 5 favorites:

Rear Window
North by Northwest
Shadow of a Doubt
Notorious
Frenzy

Citizen Rules 04-07-18 10:53 PM

These are my top 5 favorite Hitch films to watch

Spellbound (1945)
Notorious (1946)
Rear Window (1954)
The Trouble with Harry (1955)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Which is different than what I consider to be the top 5 best films Hitch made.

Luis 04-08-18 12:03 AM

I've actually only seen 5, planning on watching more throughout the year, but here are the five that I've seen ranked.

1) Vertigo
2) Psycho
3) The Birds
4) Dial M for Murder
5) Rebecca

I watched Rebecca a long time ago, I need to re-watch soon cause I really don't remember anything, I do remember thoroughly enjoying it though.

ironpony 04-08-18 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kaplan (Post 1887083)
In actual fact Hitchcock did state on several occasions that Shadow of a Doubt was his favorite of his films, and his daughter later confirmed that as well. But anyhow, Shadow of a Doubt is a fantastic film and if someone thinks it's just a minor work by Hitchcock, then I think they haven't really paid attention to it or what the film is doing.

My own top 5 favorites:

Rear Window
North by Northwest
Shadow of a Doubt
Notorious
Frenzy
Well I don't think Shadow of a Doubt is a bad film at all, I just think it's a good hitchcock film as oppose to a great one. I mean I thought he would have picked a movie of his that has a story that pushes the suspense and drama more, where as Shadow of a Doubt is a really odd good, but not great choice.

It would be like Scorsese saying that his favorite movie he did was Cape Fear or The Color of Money, or Steven Spielberg saying that his favorite movie he did was Always or War Horse. As oppose to a bigger, more epic movie that they did, if that makes sense.

Kaplan 04-08-18 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1887112)
Well I don't think Shadow of a Doubt is a bad film at all, I just think it's a good hitchcock film as oppose to a great one. I mean I thought he would have picked a movie of his that has a story that pushes the suspense and drama more, where as Shadow of a Doubt is a really odd good, but not great choice.

It would be like Scorsese saying that his favorite movie he did was Cape Fear or The Color of Money, or Steven Spielberg saying that his favorite movie he did was Always or War Horse. As oppose to a bigger, more epic movie that they did, if that makes sense.
No, I think it'd be more like Scorsese saying The King of Comedy or Spielberg saying A.I. were their favorites. In other words a lesser known film that nonetheless has a lot of personal meaning to the director.

I see what you're saying, though, but I still say there's a lot more to Shadow of a Doubt than you're appreciating. A couple things about Shadow that should be noted: It was one of Hitchcock's few films that really makes great use of location, as opposed to the studio. It's the type of film where the audience gets to hang out with these characters and really get to know them, and isn't just concerned with plotting. It makes great use of dark humor. And of course, the writing is great, the cast is great, the pacing is great...it's just great. I also love a lot of the really wicked dialogue in it:

You think you know something, don't you? You think you're the clever little girl who knows something. There's so much you don't know, so much. What do you know, really? You're just an ordinary little girl, living in an ordinary little town. You wake up every morning of your life and you know perfectly well that there's nothing in the world to trouble you. You go through your ordinary little day, and at night you sleep your untroubled ordinary little sleep, filled with peaceful stupid dreams. And I brought you nightmares. Or did I? Or was it a silly, inexpert little lie? You live in a dream. You're a sleepwalker, blind. How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip off the fronts of houses, you'd find swine? The world's a hell. What does it matter what happens in it?
Uncle Charlie: The cities are full of women, middle-aged widows, husbands, dead, husbands who've spent their lives making fortunes, working and working. And then they die and leave their money to their wives, their silly wives. And what do the wives do, these useless women? You see them in the hotels, the best hotels, every day by the thousands, drinking the money, eating the money, losing the money at bridge, playing all day and all night, smelling of money, proud of their jewelry but of nothing else, horrible, faded, fat, greedy women...
Charlie
: They're alive! They're human beings!
Uncle Charlie
: Are they? Are they, Charlie? Are they human or are they fat wheezing animals, hmm? And what happens to animals when they get too fat and too old?
Man, I could quote the dialogue all day. It's so perfect.

Jabs 04-08-18 06:29 AM

Dial M for Murder
Psycho
Rear Window
Rope
The Trouble with Harry

ironpony 04-08-18 02:40 PM

Yeah Shadow of a Doubt I think is Hitchcock's best looking film. I thought it was cause of the cinematographer, but perhaps the use of locations as oppose to studios did as well. Which I find strange cause a studio you can design to look however you want, compared to a real location, where you are forced to suffer with the non-cinematic looking shortcomings of the location.

But if Hitchock said that one of the reasons why he liked Shadow of a Doubt was cause no one complained that the movie had any implausibilities in the plot, perhaps this kind of makes the movie a lesser one though, because the plot is so logical and so realistic, that nothing crazier is allowed to happen, compared to his others.

Mitchum 04-09-18 04:27 AM

1.Vertigo
2.Rebecca
3. North by Northwest
4.Strangers on a train.

ironpony 04-09-18 11:42 PM

I gotta see this Rebecca everyone keeps mentioning :).

hell_storm2004 04-09-18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1887807)
I gotta see this Rebecca everyone keeps mentioning :).
Do eeeet! :D

Diehl40 04-21-18 11:26 PM

I have only watched a few of Hitchcock's films, but I would like to see them all.
I've seen
Rear Window
Rebecca
Psycho
and
Stranger's on a train.
He is probably one of the best (if not the best) when it comes to mixing technique and plot.

Louise1956 05-14-18 01:29 PM

To Catch A Thief
NOrth by Northwest
the Lady Vanishes
THe Thirty-Nine Steps
Foreign Correspondent

CiCi 05-14-18 02:15 PM

I haven't seen a lot of his films, but out of the ones I have:

1. Rope (adore it, not just because it's homoerotic either :lol: the dark humour, visual puns, brilliant acting by people who rarely appeared on film. It's experimental and unconvential style paid off massively for me)
2. Psycho
3. Strangers on a Train (I loved Farley Granger after seeing him in Senso with Alida Valli, but he's far from the only thing I like about this one)
4. Rear Window (Thelma Ritter steals everything I've seen her in :lol: )
5. The Birds (probably as the making of it was just as fascinating as the film itself. Tippi Hedren vs Hitchcock is a Feud season waiting to happen)

Mr_TagoMago 05-14-18 04:38 PM

1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window.
3. Rope
4. Psycho
5. The man who knew too much

Also these are the only ones ive seen.

rambond 05-16-18 06:06 AM

PSYCHO
VERTIGO
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
ROPE
REAR WINDOW

neiba 05-16-18 06:54 AM

Dial M for Murder
Rope
Vertigo
Strangers on a Train
Rebecca

ironpony 05-16-18 06:46 PM

I'm surprised how many people are picking Rope, and I thought I would be the only one to put it in my top 5.

cat_sidhe 05-16-18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1901011)
I'm surprised how many people are picking Rope, and I thought I would be the only one to put it in my top 5.
It'd be on mine, too.

I_Wear_Pants 05-18-18 02:15 PM

Some of your pictures don't work.

Nausicaä 05-18-18 06:22 PM

The two images not working are The Lady Vanishes, and Dial M For Murder.

ironpony 05-10-19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 1901011)
Well Rope is now off the top 5 I think now, cause I just saw Lifeboat, and have to put that one in my top 5 now, thereby bumping down Rope perhaps. Or perhaps Rear Window, but how do you choose between Rope and Rear Window, for your #5 spot?

MoreOrLess 05-10-19 12:39 PM

5.North by Northwest
4.Rear Window
3.Vertigo
2.Les Diaboliques
1.The Wages of Fear

GulfportDoc 05-11-19 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MoreOrLess (Post 2010356)
5.North by Northwest
4.Rear Window
3.Vertigo
2.Les Diaboliques
1.The Wages of Fear
Heh, heh. You've thrown in a "ringer" here..:D The director of these two, Henri-Georges Clouzot, was nicknamed "the French Alfred Hitchcock". And rightfully so, since he was also a master of suspense. It's too bad that he was plagued with so many health problems. It would have been wonderful to see additional pictures from him.

I've seen Diaboliques, which is a splendid film. But I'll have to look for The Wages of Fear, with English subtitles.

~Doc

WrinkledMind 05-11-19 01:46 PM

1) Dial M for Murder
2) Vertigo
3) Psycho
4) North by Northwest
5) Rear Window

Special mention to Shadow of a Doubt. The first Hitchcock movie I watched.

GulfportDoc 05-11-19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2010258)
Well Rope is now off the top 5 I think now, cause I just saw Lifeboat, and have to put that one in my top 5 now, thereby bumping down Rope perhaps. Or perhaps Rear Window, but how do you choose between Rope and Rear Window, for your #5 spot?
I'm always a little surprised when Rope, or for that matter, Rebecca appear at the top of "best" Hitchcock films.

Hitchcock considered Rope as something of an experiment. He stated in his lengthy Truffaut interviews: "I undertook Rope as a stunt; that's the only way I can describe it. I really don't know how I came to indulge in it."

To be sure, the film was interesting (inspired by the Leopold and Loeb murder of 1924), and technically it was a major milestone in terms of exceedingly long takes, which he notably increased in his subsequent Under Capricorn. But to my taste the film felt awkwardly self conscious, almost spoof-like. James Stewart was miscast as the detective, and even a gifted actor such as he could not bring off the incongruity.

The picture held one's interest because of Hitchcock's clever suspenseful tack of putting the body in the trunk, around which the story developed, and that, by itself, was memorable. But the picture had too much the feel of a second rate stage drama.

Rebecca was a fine film, but just not good Hitchcock. David O. Selznick severely restricted Hitchcock's input, although Hitchcock was able to insert some of the best parts of the film while Selznick was busy with Gone With the Wind. For example Selznick had stupidly wanted to spell out in smoke the letter "R" over the burning mansion. But Hitch came back and replaced it with a burning monogrammed "R" negligee box laying on top of a pillow. He shot only the film that was necessary, which limited Selznick's ability to come back and edit.

Anyway the choice between Rope and Rear Window would be very easy for me. In my view, Rope was a curio, whereas Rear Window is a masterpiece.

~Doc

ironpony 05-11-19 06:27 PM

Yep I can see that. Rope does have some plot limitations in the second act perhaps. I just get sucked into it, cause I love the villain in te movie, and he might be Hitchcock's best villain. I also love the set they shot on, and it's probably the best of his one setting sets. But maybe I let that drive too much of it for me, when the second act might not have as much going on.

Citizen Rules 05-11-19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2010616)
...Rope...to my taste the film felt awkwardly self conscious, almost spoof-like. James Stewart was miscast as the detective, and even a gifted actor such as he could not bring off the incongruity...
I came to the same conclusion.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1669177)

Rope...Hitch was known for making superb casting choices, most of the time. Originally Montgomery Clift was intended to play Brandon Shaw, the dominant murderer. Clift would have been awesome in this, but I think the actor who played Brandon (John Dall) was truly excellent as a narcissistic sociopath intellectual. Though his sidekick Philip (Farley Granger) didn't bring much to the role. I would have loved to see Montgomery Clift play Philip.

BUT as much as I like James Stewart, he was all wrong for the role. He's suppose to be a haughty, smug, intellectual professor who feels murder can be justified as art...but doesn't have the guts to carry off his own views.

Jimmy Steward is the antithesis of this...he's down to earth, he's friendly, and he's very trust worthy, every one likes Stewart! and he's just the wrong fit.

It's funny because during the movie they talk about actors of the day, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, James Mason. Cary Grant was Hitch's first choice to play Rupert... But it's James Mason who would have made an excellent Rupert. So would have Walter Pidgeon or James Massey.

Overall a fun Hitch movie, more than a masterpiece.

ironpony 05-11-19 06:52 PM

James Mason would have been awesome as Rupert! But I guess I just accepted Steward in the role, and didn't really think much of his persona on it. I guess one reason I feel I might like Rope possibly better than Rear Window is that Rope, has a real morality play in it, on the Rupert character having to decide if he is going to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak... Where as in Rear Window, the good guy is 100 percent good, and there is no moral conflict there, which is fine, but possibly a little less compelling in some ways, compared to Rope?

Citizen Rules 05-11-19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2010663)
James Mason would have been awesome as Rupert! But I guess I just accepted Steward in the role, and didn't really think much of his persona on it. I guess one reason I feel I might like Rope possibly better than Rear Window is that Rope, has a real morality play in it, on the Rupert character having to decide if he is going to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak... Where as in Rear Window, the good guy is 100 percent good, and there is no moral conflict there, which is fine, but possibly a little less compelling in some ways, compared to Rope?
I like both Rope and Rear Window...James Stewart's character in Rear Window isn't 100 percent good, he's a peeping tom and Thelma Ritter warns him of the dangers of that action. That's what drives the story forward his lust to spy on his neighbors.

ironpony 05-11-19 07:55 PM

That's true actually good point!

GulfportDoc 05-11-19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2010659)
I came to the same conclusion.
I hadn't realized that Clift had been considered for Rope. He would have been great in either criminal role. There was always an underlying neurosis in Clift's on screen persona, so he'd have been ideal for Phillip.

I agree that Granger was not perfectly suitable for this role. OTOH he was fine in Strangers on a Train, because he didn't have to seem unusually bright.

~Doc

ironpony 05-12-19 04:29 AM

I thought Granger was good in the role, and I think Rope is better than Strangers on a Train anyway.

I watched Rear Window again and perhaps I do give slight edge to it over Rope on this viewing. So I guess my Hitchcock top 5 are now:

1. Vertigo
2. Lifeboat
3. Psycho
4. Dial M for Murder
5. Rear Window

Citizen Rules 05-12-19 11:52 AM

I wrote this a year ago, and this list hasn't changed. There's still a few Hitch films I need to see and even more that I'd like to revisit.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1887086)

Spellbound (1945)
Notorious (1946)
Rear Window (1954)

GulfportDoc 05-12-19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2010734)
I wrote this a year ago, and this list hasn't changed. There's still a few Hitch films I need to see and even more that I'd like to revisit.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules

Spellbound (1945)
Notorious (1946)
Rear Window (1954)

That's a good point, CR. For example to my taste Lifeboat was a very well made picture, but it's not one of my favorite Hitchcock's.

Foreign Correspondent is one of his great films that's often overlooked. It was a superb production-- his next after Rebecca. And it was one of my personal most enjoyable films of his. It was up for best picture in 1940, along with Rebecca, receiving 6 category Oscar nominations.

He stated that he wanted big stars for the leads, but he didn't have the reputation yet to attract the biggest of the big. But Joel McCrea and Laraine Day were first rate in their roles, and there were wonderful supporting performances by Herbart Marshall, George Sanders, and Robert Benchley.

~Doc

ironpony 05-12-19 02:25 PM

I still have to finish Foreign Correspondent. I tried watching the first half a couple of years ago, but I felt it was too popcorn-ish, and bit corny, and maybe a bit too escapist, but maybe I need to finish it to the end.

How come Frenzy never took off as big as other Hitchcock movies? I feel that as far as serial killer thrillers go, than in some ways Frenzy was more suspenseful than Psycho, yet it never took off the same way. Why is that, out of curiosity?

Tequila 05-13-19 03:55 PM

These are my top 5 Hitchcock films so far, there are a fair few of his films that I haven't seen though.

1. Notorious
2. North by Northwest
3. The Lady Vanishes
4. Vertigo
5. The Birds

scrawfish 05-14-19 02:56 AM

This is tough, but I'll try!

North by Northwest
Lifeboat
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Psycho

GulfportDoc 05-14-19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2010759)
I still have to finish Foreign Correspondent. I tried watching the first half a couple of years ago, but I felt it was too popcorn-ish, and bit corny, and maybe a bit too escapist, but maybe I need to finish it to the end.

How come Frenzy never took off as big as other Hitchcock movies? I feel that as far as serial killer thrillers go, than in some ways Frenzy was more suspenseful than Psycho, yet it never took off the same way. Why is that, out of curiosity?
You make a good point. I think by 1972 Hitchcock's appeal had faded somewhat, following several comparatively lackluster films (Marnie, Topaz, Torn curtain). I distinctly recall feeling that way myself at the time, but hoping for another Hitch masterpiece.

Yet Frenzy is a very fine film, which I'd certainly put in the middle of his finer productions. It had all of his famous tenets: suspense, humor, and revealing the perpetrator right at the beginning. But it didn't have a big star.

In fact it's time for a re-watch....... tonight.

~Doc

Gideon58 05-17-19 11:02 AM

I haven't seen enough of Hitch's work to come up with a legit top five, but I will say that Psycho is probably his masterpiece, The Birds has enormous re-watch appeal, and I was impressed with Vertigo and Rear Window. I would also mention that Notorious features my favorite Ingrid Bergman performance.

Citizen Rules 05-17-19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2012063)
I haven't seen enough of Hitch's work to come up with a legit top five, but I will say that Psycho is probably his masterpiece, The Birds has enormous re-watch appeal, and I was impressed with Vertigo and Rear Window. I would also mention that Notorious features my favorite Ingrid Bergman performance.
Have you seen The Trouble With Harry (1955)? You'd like it and that's my Hitch recommendation for you.

MovieMeditation 05-17-19 11:33 AM

I think mine would look something like this...

1. Vertigo
2. Psycho
3. Dial M for Murder
4. Rear Window
5. Strangers on a Train

ironpony 05-17-19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2012074)
Have you seen The Trouble With Harry (1955)? You'd like it and that's my Hitch recommendation for you.
This is true of me too. Even though I made my top five, I've only seen about a third of his movies.

Citizen Rules 05-17-19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2012231)
This is true of me too. Even though I made my top five, I've only seen about a third of his movies.
I've seen most of his movies, and he didn't make any bad ones.

ironpony 05-17-19 09:21 PM

The only movie I saw of his so far, where I found it to be quite disappointing, and I thought he was off his fame, was The Wrong Man.

Citizen Rules 05-17-19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2012242)
The only movie I saw of his so far, where I found it to be quite disappointing, and I thought he was off his fame, was The Wrong Man.
I liked that one, but it was quite different than his usually movies, more like a docu-drama I'd say. What didn't you like about it?

ironpony 05-18-19 05:35 PM

Well I didn't like how the main character's problem was solved so easily mainly. He has all the cards stacked against him and then the real guy gets caught so easily, and then the main character is free as a bird, so it felt very anti-climatic to me. It's not a bad movie per say, and the first half was actually quite solid, it's just so far beneath Hitchcock's other efforts it seems for me.