Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you consider the perfect movie? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61498)

Onix 05-09-20 08:52 PM

What do you consider the perfect movie?

Not your favourite movie but the perfect movie.

I hear people say The Godfather is the perfect film but was wondering what you may consider the perfect film.

pahaK 05-09-20 10:21 PM

Re: What do you consider the perfect movie?

For some reason, the word oxymoron comes to mind. I don't believe in the existence (or possibility) of perfect art.

gbgoodies 05-10-20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Onix (Post 2089898)
Not your favourite movie but the perfect movie.

I hear people say The Godfather is the perfect film but was wondering what you may consider the perfect film.

I don't think the perfect movie exists. Every movie has flaws. Some are major plot holes, and some are just minor issues, but there's always something.

ironpony 05-10-20 01:15 AM

Slumdog Millionaire and Parasite are two that are close to perfect, off the top of my head in my opinion. Or The Truman Show and the original Planet of the Apes, I can't seem to find any significant flaws with.

ahwell 05-10-20 03:35 PM

I would also say Parasite, plus: There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, and Ratatouille (coincidentally all released in the same year).

I feel like it’s easier for newer movies to be “perfect” since a lot of older movies come across as dated now. Not bashing older movies as I love a lot of them just saying you can perceive more “flaws” with them.

ironpony 05-10-20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2089998)
I would also say Parasite, plus: There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, and Ratatouille (coincidentally all released in the same year).

I feel like it’s easier for newer movies to be “perfect” since a lot of older movies come across as dated now. Not bashing older movies as I love a lot of them just saying you can perceive more “flaws” with them.
2007 was a good year for movies, because two others I can think of are Gone Baby Gone, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (both starring the same actor coincidentally), which I would also consider close to perfect, if not perfect.

Ami-Scythe 05-10-20 04:37 PM

I two don't think there's such a thing as a perfect movie, but any movie is done well if it:
1) Accomplishes the goals it set for itself
2) Is entertaining to the intended audience

hell_storm2004 05-10-20 04:56 PM

Counter Question:
What do you consider as a perfect movie? Are there any bullet points that a movie needs to check that would make it a perfect movie?

Mr Minio 05-10-20 05:06 PM

Selva: Un portrait de Parvaneh Navaï (1983) obviously

doubledenim 05-11-20 02:39 PM

Drive

Predator misses the cut because of the camp scene.

If nothing is perfect, perfect does not exist.

ironpony 05-11-20 02:44 PM

What's wrong with the camp scene?

doubledenim 05-11-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2090250)
What's wrong with the camp scene?

McTiernan didn't shoot it and it looks like an episode of the A-Team.

Lot of trampoline explosion guys.

ironpony 05-11-20 02:54 PM

Oh really? I would have to watch it again, but I've always liked it.

doubledenim 05-11-20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2090258)
Oh really? I would have to watch it again, but I've always liked it.

It's the only scene you feel like you've seen a hundred times before.

Predator is still the best action movie, in light of that.

Bretfromhope 05-19-20 07:58 PM

Nightcrawler starring Jake Gyllenhaal - A FREAKIN MASTERPIECE!!!

skizzerflake 05-20-20 10:51 PM

I'd go way back and nominate Casablanca. It has Silver Screen vintage, Hollywood stars, angst, wartime drama, star-crossed lovers, villainous Nazis, a great song, memorable monochrome imagery and, it's both enduring and completely easy for audiences. What could be better.

Gideon58 05-21-20 05:07 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ootsie_imp.jpg

Captain Steel 05-21-20 10:11 PM

Master And Commander (2003).

https://cdn.ipetitions.com/user-imag...-461296238.jpg

Now, if people don't like the subject matter of colonial-era naval films, then they might not like the movie because they are not interested in the subject - but as a storytelling narrative, I find the film flawless.

Rarely am I swept away by a film, but this one did it for me (but at least I didn't get sea sick)!

It's perfect as a period piece. The cinematography is "masterful" (if I may pun)... making you feel as if you are on an actual sailing vessel on the ocean - at no time does anything look like a set or a sound-stage or inauthentic in any way.

The character development & inter-relationships drive the movie - even for some of the lesser characters. It flows easily through its acts with each subplot connecting to the whole, building to and culminating in an exciting & fulfilling climax with a thought-provoking epilogue.

Funny thing is, the movie led me to read the books (only read the first 4), but I found the books confounding, tedious and difficult to follow (and it's usually the reverse: where the movie never lives up to the novels). The movie is an amalgam of two stories from the novel series & various details from the entire series (often referred to as the Aubery / Maturin series: the names of the Captain & ship's Doctor).

ironpony 05-22-20 12:03 AM

I forgot about Master and Commander, such a good movie!

skizzerflake 05-22-20 11:18 AM

Master and Commander was terrific. I loved how they did what I think was a fairly realistic depiction of just how alone the crew of a sailing ship was back then....no help, no communications, nothing but your own wits and knowledge of the trade. Add in a war and things get even more intense.