Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Forced diversity in Hollywood (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=53057)

Bunker Wise 02-11-18 04:35 PM

Forced diversity in Hollywood

Its unbelievable how in Hollywood people deliberately go out their way to force diversity into movies. I have no problem with diversity, but on the other hand forced diversity is unnecessary and it worries me that some directors and people in these industries look at life through such a distorted lens.

I Have a problem with anyone who thinks in those sort of terms. Decades ago white privilege used to be a thing, but then movements started to happen and through much struggle and time the world eventually achieved equality. Yes there will be always those fools who discriminate but now anyone can get a job no matter what race you are, and being the President doesn't matter on the colour of your skin or what sex you are. And I say it's unbelievable because diversity will never stay intacted for long if we allow Hollywood and corporations like Disney to look through a lens where race matters. Where white men are presented as evil buffoons.

And this is the reality we are dealing with, with people like Kathleen Kennedy making sure forced diversity is put into action. A role should never be given to someone on their race but on their acting abilities and whether they suit the character they're playing.

Not only is forced diversity a problem but also political correctness is going way too far as new rules are being made up constantly of what is socially correct and what is not.
This kind of politically fuelled propaganda can be seen in Spider-Man homecoming where apparently the word Indian describing Native Americans is a dirty word.

Is it any wonder in a world where people are constantly treading on egg shells around political correctness to the point where they feel sick. that eventually people voted for a man who speaks his mind, a man who is impervious to the prison of political correctness that society has created.

So let us rid the world of forced diversity political correctness and reverse sexism. Because it's our children who will suffer the most in this twisted world we are creating for them. Thank you for listening and good night

Bunker Wise 02-11-18 04:41 PM

Re: Forced diversity in Hollywood

https://youtu.be/8NbZ3tagi54

Bunker Wise 02-11-18 04:45 PM

https://goo.gl/images/muHu9g

Camo 02-11-18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bunker Wise (Post 1866072)
Decades ago white privilege used to be a thing, but then movements started to happen and through much struggle and time the world eventually achieved equality.
Strongly considering making this my sig. This post is a sig goldmine actually.

Saunch 02-11-18 04:49 PM

What a finale.

Camo 02-11-18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1866086)
What a finale.
Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOS_F3AGIvc

Luis 02-11-18 04:54 PM

I'm sorry, but I think your argument is quite childish.

Where are you drawing the conclusions that diverse roles in Hollywood are forced? So anytime a lead is not a white male, we can automatically regard it as forced? You say you have no problem with diversity, yet you're accusing diversity of being forced, and there is no real evidence to back up this claim.

You said white males are presented as evil buffoons? Well, yeah odds are some will be, just as some movie have antagonists who are Black, Asian, Indian, Mexican. Maybe I'm missing your point, but I didn't find any of your arguments point towards legitimacy.

Could you give me some examples as forced diversity in film? The Spiderman one is honestly not strong enough. You know what I think the real problem is? We need to stop assuming that casting a black man in a role is a political move, or that casting a woman is feminist propaganda. What if.... just what if... they wanted to cast a woman. Is it too hard to believe?

Having white, male leads has become so normal that seeing anything other than a white male in a leading role leads people to assume it is forced diversity, that is the problem, and the very existence of your thread is living proof of the ignorance.

I. Rex 02-11-18 05:11 PM

So should we start picketing Black Panther? I mean talk about "forcing diversity"...Whats wrong with all the good drug dealer and pimp roles?! Not good enough for those people?

Dani8 02-11-18 06:26 PM

I love diversity and multiculturalism. I dont have a problem with this at all, except in Blight and that's probably more because I have gone off Will Smith and his million dollar bedroom on wheels that he loves to brag about while crying about homeless black people.

Captain Steel 02-11-18 06:40 PM

As much as I agree about the PC stuff - it's kind of an irony that I've brought up the issue of the term "Indian" on this site before (Dani will tell you.)

I don't object to it because it's politically incorrect, but because it's historically incorrect!
And I'm a stickler for history, so much so that it trumps (no pun intended) my anti-PC stance.
First, we have a country in Asia called India (ashdoc will tell you about it) - and people from there are "Indians" (we don't need mix ups over who's who, where people are from or to confuse children further about geography).
Second, Columbus's mistake about where he landed was figured out relatively quickly, so there was no need for a completely mistaken misnomer to stick and then hang on for centuries.

Now along the same lines, I don't like how the term "Asian" has replaced the now-taboo term of "Oriental." Asian includes many many races, ethnicities, nationalities and cultures - using as a descriptor says nothing of relevance.

Dani8 02-11-18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1866190)
As much as I agree about the PC stuff - it's kind of an irony that I've brought up the issue of the term "Indian" on this site before (Dani will tell you.)
I dont recall so I wont be telling Bunker. :shrug:Apologies.

mark f 02-11-18 07:10 PM

Why are so many threads seemingly about the same thing? [No need to answer.]

Guaporense 02-11-18 08:03 PM

I don't object to it because it's politically incorrect, but because it's historically incorrect!
And I'm a stickler for history, so much so that it trumps (no pun intended) my anti-PC stance.
First, we have a country in Asia called India (ashdoc will tell you about it) - and people from there are "Indians" (we don't need mix ups over who's who, where people are from or to confuse children further about geography).
Second, Columbus's mistake about where he landed was figured out relatively quickly, so there was no need for a completely mistaken misnomer to stick and then hang on for centuries.

Now along the same lines, I don't like how the term "Asian" has replaced the now-taboo term of "Oriental." Asian includes many many races, ethnicities, nationalities and cultures - using as a descriptor says nothing of relevance.
In Brazil we have the distinct terms Indios for native Brazilians and Indianos for the actual Indians from India.

Oriental is also very generalizing since it even included Egypt and Syria besides China and Japan. Asian at least means East Asian, that is Chinese, Korean or Japanese or the smaller countries around these.

Dani8 02-11-18 08:04 PM

Can you remind me, please? I seriously dont remember what you're talking about. Is this like the time you told me I said Trump was a neo nazi?

The word 'Indian' to me indicates a person with heritage from the sub continent. Is that what you mean? I'm sure there are plenty of mofos who think the same so I'm not sure why you chose my call name to say that. I'm most definitely confused this morning. Another thread in this sub forum vacuumed out my remaining brain cell.

Dani8 02-11-18 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1866235)
In Brazil we have the distinct terms Indios for native Brazilians and Indianos for the actual Indians from India.

Oriental is also very generalizing since it even included Egypt and Syria besides China and Japan. Asian at least means East Asian, that is Chinese, Korean or Japanese or the smaller countries around these.
That reminds me, I watched bits of a documentary last night about a particular group in south america and the word 'Indian' was used for indigenous.

Guaporense 02-11-18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bunker Wise (Post 1866072)
Its unbelievable how in Hollywood people deliberately go out their way to force diversity into movies. I have no problem with diversity, but on the other hand forced diversity is unnecessary and it worries me that some directors and people in these industries look at life through such a distorted lens.

I Have a problem with anyone who thinks in those sort of terms. Decades ago white privilege used to be a thing, but then movements started to happen and through much struggle and time the world eventually achieved equality. Yes there will be always those fools who discriminate but now anyone can get a job no matter what race you are, and being the President doesn't matter on the colour of your skin or what sex you are. And I say it's unbelievable because diversity will never stay intacted for long if we allow Hollywood and corporations like Disney to look through a lens where race matters. Where white men are presented as evil buffoons.

And this is the reality we are dealing with, with people like Kathleen Kennedy making sure forced diversity is put into action. A role should never be given to someone on their race but on their acting abilities and whether they suit the character they're playing.

Not only is forced diversity a problem but also political correctness is going way too far as new rules are being made up constantly of what is socially correct and what is not.
This kind of politically fuelled propaganda can be seen in Spider-Man homecoming where apparently the word Indian describing Native Americans is a dirty word.

Is it any wonder in a world where people are constantly treading on egg shells around political correctness to the point where they feel sick. that eventually people voted for a man who speaks his mind, a man who is impervious to the prison of political correctness that society has created.

So let us rid the world of forced diversity political correctness and reverse sexism. Because it's our children who will suffer the most in this twisted world we are creating for them. Thank you for listening and good night
Thing is that now I am beginning to understand US culture more and I think that the US has a certain characteristic that makes the idea of achieving forced "equality" important. The US is not a ehtnically homogeneous nation, instead it is a collection of different "nations" each has it's own values and culture, for example, Asian Americans, Hispanic (i.e. "Mexicans and Central" Americans) Americans and African Americans are distinct nations from Anglo Saxon Americans.

While other European Americans mostly integrated into the "mainstream" Anglo Saxon American culture the Asian, Hispanic and African Americans build up their own distinct "nations" inside the US (I am using the word nation in the way Brazilians often use to mean "ethnic groups" instead of "countries"). These distinct "nations" feel like they should be well represented into broad American culture, which includes Hollywood, being perhaps the most popular part of American culture in the wider world.

It's like the Roman Empire, in the beginning of the Roman rule over the ancient world, only Italians (the "real Romans") were in the Roman Senate but after a couple of centuries the senate was made up by mostly provincials and even the emperor was born in Spain (Marcus Aurelius). Hollywood movies from 1950's mostly featured European Americans but as the society of the US consolidated and it's distinct nations got more integrated into the whole cultural "matrix" of the country we see progressively more and more actors from the "minority nations" that exist inside the US confederation.

Also, race does matter in the US and matters a lot: it is a signifies which American nation you belong to. For example, African Americans speak with a different dialect of English than European Americans to the point where I can tell if someone is an African American just through the telephone. Hence, since race does matter each race wants to be well represented in American mainstream culture which is in many ways what Hollywood embodies the most.

Captain Steel 02-11-18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1866235)

Still - it sounds like the Brazilian term is based on Columbus's mistake. The only reason any Native American has been called an Indian (or similar term) is because Columbus THOUGHT he was in Asia.

Yes, "Asian" in recent times has seemingly taken on the designator of people from the far east, yet Asia is the largest continent on earth and encompasses Middle Easterners: Arabs, Persians, Turks, Jews and ethnicities of every sorts as large portions of Russia are in Asia, along with the homes of the Finno-Ugric, Tungusic, Mongols, Slavs, Bengalis, Pakistanis, and Indians. Sounds like a better term is in order.

Guaporense 02-11-18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1866238)
That reminds me, I watched bits of a documentary last night about a particular group in south america and the word 'Indian' was used for indigenous.
Indeed. The Brazilian government's organization that deals with native Brazilians is called "Fundacao Nacional do Indio" or "National Foundation of the Indian" in English:

http://www.funai.gov.br/

Camo 02-11-18 08:21 PM

East Asians are Asian it's not an inaccurate term. Typically only mainland Europeans get called European, British people are usually exempted from that for whatever reason. People like to specify Middle Easterners or whatever and they don't for East Asians, they are Asians though so i don't see the problem with using that term.

Captain Steel 02-11-18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1866247)
East Asians are Asian it's not an inaccurate term. Typically only mainland Europeans get called European, British people are usually exempted from that for whatever reason. People like to specify Middle Easterners or whatever and they don't for East Asians, they are Asians though so i don't see the problem with using that term.
It's not inaccurate - it's just very general.
Imagine if I robbed a bank and the description given on an APB was: Animal: Mammal: Primate - none are inaccurate, but not specific enough. And based on colloquial use, police would probably be looking for a gorilla based on the word "primate" instead of a homosapien (which itself would be far too general to be of any help as it wouldn't differentiate from over 7 billion others).
Or what if I were described as North American - it wouldn't be of much use is all I'm saying.