Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favorite movie panned by critics .... (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=6334)

indietalk 01-13-04 12:25 AM

Favorite movie panned by critics ....

:eek: What movie is one of your favorites, but was panned by the critics? :eek: Please don't say gigli!

Holden Pike 01-13-04 12:41 AM

Pennies From Heaven (1981 - Hebert Ross)
Hudson Hawk (1991 - Michael Lehmann)
Full Frontal (2002 - Steven Soderbergh)
Made (2001 - Jon Favreau)
The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997 - Jon Amiel)
Quick Change (1990 Howard Franklin & Bill Murray)
Love's Labour's Lost (2000 - Kenneth Branagh)
Masked & Anonymous (2003 - Larry Charles)
They All Laughed (1981 - Peter Bogdanovich)

Travis_Bickle 01-13-04 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Made (2001 - Jon Favreau)
I loved "Made". It was hilarious, the best comedy of that year.

Lets hope "The Brown Bunny" will be on our lists next year.

Piddzilla 01-13-04 06:55 AM

The first that comes to mind is Gummo (1997) by Harmony Korine. To be honest, it wasn't really loathed by all critics, some even liked it as much as I did. But especially the conservative (not talking politics now, damnit) section of the critics corps thought it was worse than horrible. And I think I am pretty alone in this crowd in loving it too.

Let's see, what else....

Clueless (1995) by Amy Heckerling. Did that one get bad reviews? I love it anyway.

Holden Pike 01-13-04 07:58 AM

Clueless got great reviews.

Hondo333 01-13-04 08:37 AM

Blade Runner [1982]

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane [1990]

And Swept Away [2002]

Piddzilla 01-13-04 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Clueless got geat reviews.
Oh, okay... Don't remember what the reviews were like in Sweden.

led_zeppelin 01-13-04 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo333
Blade Runner [1982]

Yeah, I love Blade Runner, but it got terrible reviews.

Henry The Kid 01-13-04 09:01 PM

Fear and Loathing in las Vegas

Jackie Malfoy 01-13-04 09:09 PM

I like some that did not get good rating!

The movies below has got the thumb down but I give it a thumbs up!Most of them are old and not newer movies that came out!

"Hook" it is not that bad!
"SuperMario Brothers"The movie:It is not that bad either not bad to be a flop maybe one star but not a bomber!
"Mortal Komet" a good karate movie plotless but if you like the game you would like the movie should had not been bombed I would give it inleast two stars it was creative!
Anyway that is it for now!See you around!JM :cool: ;) :p :D :)

ArchibaldTuttle 01-14-04 05:15 AM

The 'Burbs
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Piddzilla 01-14-04 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Hey, that's weird! I went to this thread only to add that movie!

I was taking a look at the upcoming weekend's movies on tv and saw that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is on tv on saturday. I was of course happy since I think it is hillarious but saw to my surprise that the paper's reviewer had given it only a 1/5 grading! I remember that when I saw it I felt that it was bit too long, but I laughed really hard a lot of times and Depp and del Toro are fantastic in it.

Hondo333 01-14-04 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Hey, that's weird! I went to this thread only to add that movie!

I was taking a look at the upcoming weekend's movies on tv and saw that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is on tv on saturday. I was of course happy since I think it is hillarious but saw to my surprise that the paper's reviewer had given it only a 1/5 grading! I remember that when I saw it I felt that it was bit too long, but I laughed really hard a lot of times and Depp and del Toro are fantastic in it.
Its one of the best films of the 90's.....

Jackie Malfoy 01-14-04 03:11 PM

Oh I forgot to name one more movie!

The movie "Newies" did not make good rates either and I think that is a great Disney musical I am still a fan of the music and the movie it should had not bombed!
The movie "Burbs" bombed?That movie is great it is funny and well acted one of the first movies I seen Tom Hanks in!Those guys have no idea how to rate a movie if they think that movie sucked!
See you around!JM :cool: ;) :p :D :)

ArchibaldTuttle 01-15-04 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
The movie "Burbs" bombed?That movie is great it is funny and well acted one of the first movies I seen Tom Hanks in!Those guys have no idea how to rate a movie if they think that movie sucked!
See you around!JM :cool: ;) :p :D :)
I really have no idea if it bombed, it just seems like the type of movie critics would pan, and its probably somewhere in my top ten favorite movies of all time, I probably watch it at least once a month

Minimalist 01-18-04 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by indietalk.com
:eek: What movie is one of your favorites, but was panned by the critics? :eek: Please don't say gigli!
I don't run with the herd. If I did then I'd be watching crap like the latest James Cameron opus ad nauseum. :( Think TITANIC, think boredom, think s**t... :rolleyes:

Nah, f**k the critics. Haven't read anything decent since Pauline Kael kicked it. Um, that's a lie! :( There's always Alan Jones, Mike Sutton, David Kerekes, Kim Newman and tons and tons of other cutting edge film scribes that I just love reading.

JR

moviemandavid 01-19-04 05:53 PM

None of my favorites were panned by critics, but I love Disturbing Behavior.

Most recently though, I saw Torque, and that was pretty cool. I never read the reviews for it, but I'm pretty sure it was panned. I liked it a lot though. The perfect film for just getting way and watching some action entertainment.

Lotuspyder 01-19-04 06:00 PM

Critics gave Bad Boys 2 a C-. Of course when I went to see it, It was in the top 5 best movies i've ever seen, so NEVER trust reviews. ;D

Sleezy 01-21-04 02:10 PM

The Last Samurai would be the most recent one, but others include:

Desperado
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Mothman Prophecies (although the book was MUCH more interesting)

led_zeppelin 01-21-04 05:27 PM

the Burbs is great

Hook is a terrific movie

like I said. . .Blade Runner is good

annnnd. . .that's it!