Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   DVD Aficionado (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=13514)

Pyro Tramp 06-08-07 05:03 PM

DVD Aficionado

What's happened to it?

I liked that site!

Yoda 06-08-07 06:16 PM

Re: DVD Aficionado

I think it moved to DVDAf.com. It looks like they launched a new "version" of the site there.

JBriscoe 06-08-07 07:12 PM

it went from version 1.0 to 2.0...2.0 is still in the revamping stage but it is functional for basic purposes

jrs 06-08-07 09:14 PM

I like the new version. It's cool :)

Escape 06-08-07 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBriscoe (Post 372936)
it went from version 1.0 to 2.0...2.0 is still in the revamping stage but it is functional for basic purposes
I investigated today and yep, that's what it needed. An upgrade but the older one didn't have pages and if it did, I didn't run into them and I had over 460 movies there.

Now I'm not even finished viewing my B's when page one ends. I like the other better personally.

Escape 08-28-07 09:38 PM

You know what I hate about this new upgrade. It shows less DVDs per page. Or is there a way to correct that. Before It would be one long list of over 400 movies without needing pages. Now it's 50, next page, another 50, another page. Crap.

Pyro Tramp 08-28-07 09:43 PM

Yeh, sites definitely taken a turn for the worse. Along with that i liked being able to add more than one title at once. At least it's free.

Yoda 08-28-07 10:48 PM

Yeah, very sloppy. If you click on the little question mark near the page navigation, there's just some message where the developer is apparently reminding himself to write an explanation.

Tons of wasted space with that floating menu on the left, too. It's a pity it's so established, or I'd write a better version in a heartbeat.

spudracer 08-28-07 11:17 PM

I didn't know that site still existed. I've still got an account with them, but it's so out of date, and I don't even think I have all the titles I used to. Ahh...memories.

Pyro Tramp 08-29-07 06:50 PM

Another problem i found is that you can't make additional subfolders. Shame it's the only real catalogue of DVDs i have.

Gee, if only MoFo had a similar feature *whistles down the lane*

TheUsualSuspect 08-29-07 07:11 PM

*Rep points to Pyro*

Escape 08-29-07 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 381637)

Yes, reps indeed. Yoda are you hearing this?

I saw a forum with that on it and it's pretty cool. All the members know who owns their movies etc.

Sinny McGuffins 08-31-07 09:48 PM

Gee, if only MoFo had a similar feature
If only... ;D

Nexus 09-04-07 03:19 PM

I definitely like the old design more (the floating menu on the side is especially terrible) but it's not bothering me that much. I actually quite like how they split the collection up into different pages - it can be irritating to stumble across a huge collection that takes ages to scroll through.

Yoda 09-04-07 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 381643)
*Rep points to Pyro*
Originally Posted by Escape (Post 381657)
Yes, reps indeed. Yoda are you hearing this?
Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins (Post 382142)
If only... ;D
Hmmm...I know I said earlier that I'd write a better version if the site weren't so entrenched, but it's entirely possible that lots of other people feel the same way you guys do.

The site itself would not be a tremendous undertaking; the only real issue would be finding a relatively easy way to get all those DVDs into the database. If I could find a way to do that that wasn't too time-consuming, I'd probably take the plunge at some point.

I'll have to ponder this a bit.

Escape 09-04-07 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 382649)

I'll have to ponder this a bit.
Yes, you must ponder Yoda. ;)

Yoda 10-22-10 05:52 PM

Bumping this. A fellow site owner reminded me of the idea. Is there still a lot of interest in it?

Harry Lime 10-22-10 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 687620)
Is there still a lot of interest in it?
What is it?

Yoda 10-22-10 06:30 PM

www.dvdaf.com

It'd be that, but presumably a lot better, and (possibly) integrated into MoFo. Site's been around awhile, and it's a good idea, but it's always been really, really clumsily put together.

MadMikeyD 10-22-10 06:36 PM

I'd be interested in such a feature. I just put my collection in at another site, but I like these forums better, so I'd happily move it over here. (It's less than 200 anyway, so it wouldn't take that much time to move.)